All PracticePanther Legal Software Reviews

Thalia

Reviewed December 2017

Working with Practice Panther

The user-interface is designed for quick and easy navigation. You can look at your dashboard and very clearly see everything you need to know for your day to run smoothly (well as smoothly as possible). It is cost effective and the onboarding and training are taken care of with Practice Panther's incredible customer service.

PROS

Before PracticePanther we had started an Excel spreadsheet to log our contacts for conflicts checks. We created a joint email account with Gmail so our email would be centralized and that also gave us a central calendar that we all had access to in order to set appointments, record deadlines, etc. We also created a Dropbox account for file storage. While everything was low cost or free, all the parts felt scattered. PracticePanther pulls it all together in one beautiful, user-friendly interface. Now, instead of having to pull up 5 or 6 different apps/websites, we are able to pull up just one site and have everything right there. All of the components of PracticePanther are really easy to use. The entire program is designed for efficiency and ease of use. Color-coding allows you to see and understand your financial details in mere seconds. Tasks, events, and timekeeping are easy.

CONS

I would like to see the software integrate with more programs. Quickbooks is great, but my brain works better with Wave Accounting; LawPay is great, but being able to integrate with PayPal also, would be even better. However, these are minor things and not worth seeking a different program I like as much as Practice Panther. I had shopped around quite a bit before choosing Practice Panther; I doubt I would find anything I like as much. Hands down, our favorite thing about PracticePanther is the superior support staff. If you have a problem and leave a message after hours in the chat box, you get a response generally within the hour. There is also training videos and a help center that will help you find the help that you need.

Thalia, I am so happy to let you know we are about to release our new API and Zapier integration, which will open the door to MANY more integrations. We highly recommend LawPay for a number of reasons, but if you must use PayPal, we do have an integration available. We will reach out to you to show you how it works. Thank you so much!

Replied December 2017

Reviewed January 2022

Great practice management software. The only short-fall is that it doesn't allow auto future billing

PracticePanther is a great platform and you should definitely give it a good try during a free trial period. It also has Rules of Court deadline figuring if you're a Civil firm. PP has great integration with QuickBooks on-line. You can print checks directly from PP, or QB online to pay other legal vendors (Chiros, etc.)

PROS

Price - either $59/mo or $49/mo if paid the year in full. Fee to bill clients on-line: $.20 per transaction plus 1.95% Workflow customizable - Yes, you can customize the workflow on different case-types. Activity Log - easy access history. Create Contact on the fly as creating matter - easy to create a Contact during the process of creating a matter. Intake form for new clients - Yes, can put a link on your website so new clients can fill-out a new client form, and that info will auto fill into the client's PP account. Time tracking timers - you can have multiple different timers open and running at the same time and assign them. Mobile App - there is no mobile App, but the site is mobile optimized. E-file integration - there is No e-file integration. Color assignments - there are up to 6 colors that you can assign to parties & roles. Task customizable - Yes, you can customize task flows. Easy to create and merge documents - Yes, it's very easy to create and merge documents with the program. PDF-auto convert - No, it cannot auto PDF convert a document. Create documents that can merged - Yes. This program makes it easy to create documents that can be merged. Support - Yes, support seems to be free. Notify client when upload a document - Yes, you can notify a client a document gets uploaded that you want them to review or be aware of. Email syncing - very good syncing with Gmail and Outlook. Emails linked to a matter - Yes. Easy to link emails to a matter. Client Portal - Yes.

CONS

The only thing that kept me from staying with PracticePanther, is that MyCase allows you to be able to set future billing to go out to a client(s) and forget it. PracticePanther has a bit of a 'workaround' if you get the client's Visa/Debit card on file, but many times clients are uneasy giving you their card number. With Criminal Defense clients that need to make monthly (or future) payments on a retainer amount, MyCase allows you to set-up future dates where a client will be emailed a bill, which they can tap on a button and pay on-line. This is the main thing that made me go with MyCase. But if not for that, I would have stayed with either PracticePanther or Smokeball. Smokeball had/has the slickest software for being able to send emails from (either) Outlook or Gmail, and a small window at the bottom allows you to connect that email to a matter. Smokeball's software also made/makes it very easy to sync a Word document with a Client/Matter.

Reason for choosing PracticePanther Legal Software

I ended up going with MyCase because it has the auto future filling of clients. But if MC didn't have that, I would have gone with PracticePanther or Smokeball.

Jeff

Legal Services, 1 employee

Reviewed June 2019

Terrible practice management software

When you sign up, you'll get an invitation to a live webinar two weeks out. Totally unhelpful for someone trying to get up and running. I have been using PracticePanther for about one month, and I'm already considering changing to another PMS. The money I spent on PracticePanther is a sunk cost. I really think I should just cut my losses because if I don't, I'll end up spending a lot of time trying to manage and work around the software. I really don't feel like it's saving me any time at all. I would probably be better off with T-sheets, Quickbooks, and Law Pay only.

PROS

Clients can pay online. I honestly can't think of anything else to say.

CONS

Where do I start? The time keeping function is terrible. You cannot edit start and stop times. You cannot start and stop multiple timers in the mobile app. The software auto-saves frequently, and when it does, it moves the cursor in the entry to the end of the text. This is annoying. You cannot start a timer and then add the client-matter without causing the time to round up. The syncing with G Suite is bad. The software will not sync with all the fields in Google Contacts, and the "custom fields" in PracticePanther do not sync into Google Contacts. This results in a lot of duplicate data entry, which is what I was trying to void with practice management software. The software does not sync will with Google Drive well at all either. Apparently, you can't have any folders in Google Drive with the same name. For example, Client_01\general and Client_02\general would result in an error and none of your Google Drive documents will be visible in PracticePanther. The software billing feature is terrible. First, you cannot have multiple companies or entities tied to the same individual. Thus, if you have a contact who owns multiple businesses that are clients, you will not be able to list all those businesses under the client's name. To make matters worse, you can only email invoices to individuals who are listed under the company. I had to create multiple dummy contacts called "Accounts Payable" just so that I could email my clients their invoices. I ran out of space.

Hi Jeff, Thank you so much for taking the time to join our team on a training call, and for discussing the features and functionalities you would like to see incorporated into the software on our follow up call. As mentioned, some of the functionalities, specifically regarding Google, are limited by our integration partners. However, we will, of course, update you if any of the discussed functionalities change at any point. We are constantly working on improving our user experience and your comments and feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your time, please feel free to reach out to us if there is anything we can help you with.

Replied June 2019

Tabatha

Reviewed January 2024

Practice Panther is Perfect for Small/Medium Law Firms

PROS

Ease of use. The platform is user friendly and we love that it is integrated with LeadDocket.

CONS

There isn't anything that I really dislike.

Reason for choosing PracticePanther Legal Software

We liked the look of the platform and ease of use. It is very easy to navigate.

Reasons for switching to PracticePanther Legal Software

Integration with other products and more capabilities

Brenda

Reviewed September 2021

Love PracticePanther

This software has saved us time on the tasks that would take a long time like creating letters or pleadings as they are automated now. Since the information pulls from the fields there is also a very low risk for typing errors.

PROS

Super easy to use! We love that we can create custom fields for a contact or matter and have really enjoyed the automation portion of the software. The templates are easy to create and automatically pull the information from the contact and matter sections that we need.

CONS

Under Matter, instead of editing the whole section, it would be nice if I could hoover over the field I only need to update. I also wish I could highlight text in the matter or notes section. I create multiple matters under one client and some of the information in the fields is always the same. It would be nice if I could select an option so any time I create a new matter for that client, the information in the matter auto fills for any new case going forward.

Price and ease of use

Reasons for switching to PracticePanther Legal Software

Had to upgrade every so often and had to log onto our server to use. With PracticePanther, I log in from anywhere.

LaJoyce

Reviewed July 2021

Long Term PracticePanther User

It has been a wonderful experience.

PROS

I've been a PracticePanther user for four years now. The most important factor in my selecting PracticePanther was the ease of use. With my prior software, I had to hire independent contractors and pay for "maintenance agreements" just to have access to the help desk. With PracticePanther, their support team can assist. More important, they have videos that will walk you through the process of setting up the various systems and integrations. Finally, I love the integrations. PracticePanther integrates with Microsoft Office, Box, Dropbox and Quickbooks. Your information stays in it's original locate with seamless access from PracticePanther.

CONS

Initially, there was a big push to produce new features. I'm not seeing new features coming out as frequently. However, I would note the quality of the new features, e.g., workflows with conditional logic and e-signatures.

Reason for choosing PracticePanther Legal Software

Ease of use, did not require me to hire independent contractors and the integrations.

Reasons for switching to PracticePanther Legal Software

Lack of technical support. In 8 years, I was never able to get the program to work in functional capacity.

Reviewed February 2020

Great product

Easy to learn. Easy access to tutorials and the help area is full of information. It has been a great decision to switch. I know that i have been able to capture more of my time and reduce time needed for billing.

PROS

I like being able to bill, take credit/debit card payments, and tell clients their balance with the app while in court. There are simple reports and a great dashboard to see how much is outstanding, to be billed, and the amount in my trust account. Practice panther has cut down on the time it takes for billing and made my office more efficient.

CONS

I print checks directly from practice panther, which takes several steps, but it makes it easy to add the cost to the client's billing. I would like the software to allow a report of vendors/payees' payments over various time periods as it does with tags and categories.

Reason for choosing PracticePanther Legal Software

quick books was overly cumbersome with numerous unnecessary features. Practice panther has needed features for a law firm that are not available in quick books. It is much easier to use than quick books.

Reasons for switching to PracticePanther Legal Software

I used to use quick books for billing, but it is not as geared to attorneys as practice panther. Contingency cases were especially difficult. Practice panther even has a feature for evergreen retainers.

Alexis

Reviewed August 2019

Best practice management system I have used

I use Practice Panther as my main case managment system. My team and I LIVE on this software. It is far better than the alternatives I have used in the past and in other firms. We have it downloaded on all computers and phones for easy access in court at all times.

PROS

I like the intuitive interface, clean look, and the ability to customize my own workflows.

CONS

I would like to see a private server capability added in instead of having to rely on Box. One that we can access via VPN would be helpful. I wish we could add in a bit more automation customization. For example, I would like to be able to send my clients a customized email with attachments and helpful info before specific events, rather than the generic reminder email. I would also like the ability to create conditional logic in certain events.

Reason for choosing PracticePanther Legal Software

The main reason I initially chose it was price and interface look. Now I wouldn't change for anything because it is constantly evolving with my firm's growth and provides all the support we need.

Reasons for switching to PracticePanther Legal Software

There was much more functionality and customization available with PP than Abacus.

Haley

Reviewed June 2020

The team at PracticePanther is Great.

PROS

They add features on a regular basis and have loads of training. The support staff is super helpful and if they don't know the answer they will try to find it. I understand that every system is different and every one has it's pros and cons. I really think once we utilize every single feature this program has we will be a much better law firm.

CONS

The email integrations phase in and out on working. It may simply be the plugin I have for Gmail but that can be a struggle.

Reason for choosing PracticePanther Legal Software

The pricing and some of the features. I think Cosmolex may have the accounting side better locked down but I liked the ease of PracticePanther.

Reasons for switching to PracticePanther Legal Software

Leap was far too expensive for what they provided.

Reviewed November 2021

PracticePanther has helped keep my firm organized and grow

PROS

PracticePanther has helped keep my firm organized. We handle a large number of cases and we needed software that could help us manage them all, stay on top of tasks, and store information efficiently. PracticePanther has also been key in allowing for rapid growth in my practice. My favorite feature is the payment plans through PantherPayments. My collections are significantly higher than some of my colleagues and it helped simplify this process. We can easily set up payment plans that automatically pull funds from a credit card or bank account which means I don't have to spend a ton of time chasing clients for money that I could be spending on their case.

CONS

I started out practicing solo and quickly grew to more staff. Every firm has growing pains, so I was initially worried about acclimating new staff to PracticePanther. Thankfully, those hesitations were put at bay and we've been able to use the platform with ease.

Reason for choosing PracticePanther Legal Software

I researched several different software options, such as Clio, before making my final decision. I found that PracticePanther provides all of the same features as Clio and more, but at half the price. No other software in PracticePanther’s price range is anywhere near as robust.

Hugh

Reviewed November 2020

good interface, terrible billing if you have more than 5 clients, and terrible reporting suite

average.

PROS

clients like the interface, auto posting of lawpay and accounts for trust versus other payments with ease.

CONS

The billing every month is SO PAINFUL. To review bills or edit them, you have to open every invoice in a separate window. There is no "next" button to review invoices like every other billing platform out there. When asked about adding this, the response from PP is they will check with the development team. Clearly their developers didnt actually try out invoice review/edits for more than a few clients at a time. This is not a good solution if you have more than 5 clients. The task management also doesnt send notifications to all those tagged in the tasks, and if you assign tasks but are not the one assigned to do them, you cant track the progress. So we are using Asana instead so now using two platforms instead of one integrated solution.

Reasons for switching to PracticePanther Legal Software

the customer interface appeared to be better, the reporting was allegedly better but have found that the reporting in PP is fixed, you cant customize reports that help with comp reporting.

Hi Hugh, Thank you so much for your review, I can see how this would be helpful. Ease of use stands at the top of our priority list, so we always appreciate feedback from our users. We've received your request for this feature and the development team has been notified. Thanks again for your time, please feel free to reach out to us if there is anything we can help you with.

Replied January 2021

Noah

Reviewed January 2022

Amazing Software

Fantastic experience. We started on the lowest pricing tier (which already comes with 90% of what you need) and as our practice grew and we wanted to add some additional efficiencies (like automating through Zapier and ToDoist, etc.), we slowly grew to the highest tier, which adds a lot more integration. Also, their customer service is great.

PROS

Being able to integrate all of the features expected of a legal management software in one, but in such a intuitive way.

CONS

Nothing. I am very happy with it. We've been using it for 2 years and they keep adding great additional features as we and other request them, but its still not clunky.

Reason for choosing PracticePanther Legal Software

We tested other products including Clio and MyCase and decided with Practicepanther. Its been great.

Robert

Reviewed June 2020

The First (and Last) Billing Software You Will Need

Our own experience for our firm has been fantastic. Support staff has been very prompt and helpful whenever we had a question. I have recommended the product to every attorney I know.

PROS

Our entire office, from attorneys to support staff to office administrator, have all commented how intuitive and easy the software is to use. There is no doubt that our attorneys and paralegals have become more productive from using this software. Also, the reports for A/R, billable time per user, and many others are extremely valuable. We are a new firm, and this is our first (and last) billing software for our office.

CONS

If there is one thing I am "disappointed" with, it would have to be the add-on we purchased from Law Tool Box for court rules. When we first started using it, the rules for Nevada (where we practice), were almost all incorrect, or useless for our civil litigation practice. Despite providing Law Tool Box with all of the information on the proper court rules that apply here in Nevada over a month ago, they have still not made those changes. We have not been able to use or rely on it for anything. A great concept, but not functional. Useless.

Reason for choosing PracticePanther Legal Software

I test drove Clio and Bill4 Time, but I didn't find them as functional or easy to use.

Aska

Reviewed May 2019

User-friendly software but there are still room for improvement to effectively serve larger firms

(continued from Cons) This sorting function for customized fields will potentially save us a lot of time. (3) Tags are great features, but the ability to sort the data using the tag is very limited. When you search using multiples tags, the software only recognize it as Tag 1 "AND" Tag 2, and gives you data that has BOTH tags. For instance, it's only "Show data that has Tag A AND Tag B". You can't do "Show me the data that has Tag A OR Tag B". You can't search data that DOES NOT have the specific tag either. If the search function in Tags was more comprehensive, it will allow users to expand the usage of tags and give users more flexibility as to how we can efficiently search the data we need. Practice Panther Tech Support has been aware of the suggestions listed above. However, there has not been any update on the progress, and we do not know if these functions will be ever available. We definitely would like to see them implemented very soon. I am open to revise this review once these functionalities become available.

PROS

This software is intuitive, easy to navigate and very user-friendly. Tech support is promptly available and they are very patient. Practice Panther continues to make improvements on the software and they listen to their customers feedback. They have fixed our issues with our calendar being very slow to load. It's fast now and working very well.

CONS

There are still room for improvement in terms of features and functions. (1) The format (layout) of the calendar is not user-friendly for mid to large firms with more than 10 employees. Everyone's events are scattered across the calendar and overlap with each other which makes difficult to identify availability for specific staff. Events are displayed with different colors assigned to each staff. It's hard to follow 10+ different colors on computer screen and it is definitely not working for staff who are color-blind. It's really difficult to see who has appointments at each hour throughout the day. We suggested to have columns for each staff so that it only takes a glance to identify who is available when, just like how calendars are in Time Matters from Lexis Nexis. (2) Sorting function for customized fields is not available unfortunately. What makes this software great is the customization you can make to fit it to your exact needs. However, customized fields are not sort-able, and without the sorting function for the customized fields, data is not as valuable and usable as it should be. As a legal administrator who manages the data and runs productivity report for legal staff, we are currently spending a lot of time downloading the information from the software to MS Excel, sorting and manipulating the data in Excel, and finally coming back to the PracticePanther to make necessary changes within the software. (Continues to overall experience)

Tara

Used free trial

Reviewed April 2017

Before PracticePanther my client information was all over my computer. I kept track of billable hours and financials in Exel, client emails in Google, and my forms (intake, representation, agreements, court filings etc) in Word. This meant in order to have everything as it pertained to a specific client in one place, I had to print everything out. And, I was using nonlegal software to send out billing invoices which lead to long hours of transcribing information from Excel to the service I was using. The rate of error of retyping information like addresses or agreements or billable hours into different software programs was high. I am a solo practitioner who does not have a clerk, secretary or paralegal. So after a long day of work, I then had to become the marketing, IT and accounting departments. I spent a lot of time doing things two and three times. I knew I needed a case management system but was afraid it would be too expensive or time consuming to learn. After doing my due diligence I found PracticePanther. Not only was PP one of the most affordable options out there, they had very intuitive methods of doing things so the learning curve did not take much time. Now anything and everything pertaining to a specific client is kept in one place. All billables, emails, evidence, representation agreements I even enter details of phone calls and meetings I have on matters in the Notes section for each matter so I have a documented history of what was discussed on what day. PracticePanther has cut the amount of time I spend on my office management duties by about 65%. I use that time to grow my practice, network or do pro bono work.

PROS

I love the IT help, the invoicing system and the templates feature. I had a lot of questions and needed a lot of help in the beginning. Being able to schedule times to discuss my issues with the IT guys at PracticePanther was great. The fact that they can take over your computer remotely so they can see what you see in real time is even better. Their response time to non-scheduled issues is pretty fast. I have also found their FAQs and how to videos to be extremely helpful but having a live person to speak with who can access your computer is just as good as having someone standing next to me while I work. The invoicing system is phenomenal. It keeps track of all of my client banking accounts. I can see at any time how much is in my IOLTA account, how much is in my operating account, how much a client owes, how much a client has paid and how much I have billed a client but not yet invoiced. I can do this client by client, matter by matter or as an overall total. LawPay is free if you sign up through PracticePanther which is awesome because it handles my credit card transactions and when a client pays, it automatically updates my invoicing and accounts. PracticePanther also knows how to deduct things from a client's retainer when sending out an invoice so you don't have to worry about that either. Their timing device feeds right into the system. It is awesome.

Zach

Reviewed May 2018

Easy to use practice management software with top-end functionality at low price

Easy of keeping track of deadlines and client contacts. Overall, the best practice management software I have seen for the price. I would say this performs better than CLIO (I've used it with ALL of the add-ons), way better than AMICUS and MyCase and similar to ABACUS. They need to add a matter pre-billing function to run attorney's fees reports and allow you to copy/paste e-mails into the matter, but otherwise this is a perfect solution for most practitioners. Unless you are using the rules-based calendaring in ABACUS or Westlaw's Firm Central, I have not seen a product that is nearly as useful on the market.

PROS

Unlike a number of the cheaper practice management software programs on the market today, Practice Panther has a wide range of functions within the software which are easy to use. Instead of just having "Tasks" or "to-dos", PP allows you to create Activities which can be "Events" "E-mails" "Phone calls" or "Tasks". On the Task front, PP allows you to set sub-reminders that can send you e-mails or text messages in advance, like say "7 days before," and "3 days before," for a filing deadline. I also think it is pretty fantastic that PP shows whether a time entry has been completed for EVERY SINGLE ACTIVITY marked "completed" or "in progress". This would be incredibly useful for practitioners (mostly civil) managing staff and trying to deal with staff not accounting for all of their time in billing. The "mail sync" function is also easy to use, and allows you to e-mail out of your native software (MS Outlook, GMAIL, etc) and simply "bcc" the client matter itself. When you do this, the e-mail is automatically saved into the matter. Almost every other program out there that I have used requires you to use their client messaging portal to get the same functionality. The templates are easy to use for creating documents to merge out of PP also. Think client engagement letters, releases, and basic letterheads that you use in every file. We don't use PP for accepting payments so I cannot comment on that portion.

CONS

1. Matter pre-bills or invoicing. In many civil cases there will be a time when you need to prepare a billing report to present to the court solely for a claim of attorney's fees. In other software that I have used, you can run a report for a set period of time or type of billing entries which will then create a printable draft invoice-looking document. You would then be able to slap an exhibit sticker on that document and use it for your attorney's fee request. I haven't found a way to easily do this in PP yet, and it seems like you would have to utilize a draft invoice which captures all time billed in the matter. I could be wrong. 2. No Batch Entry System for E-mails. PP has a GREAT syncing system that works with your native e-mail so you can BCC messages into the matter when you send or receive them. However, if you forget to include the mail-sync in your BCC line, or don't forward a message to the mail-sync, there is no easy way to subsequently get the e-mails into the matter in PP. What I mean is this: say you have a number of e-mails from someone that weren't saved into a client PP matter and instead lived in your Outlook before the client actually hired. You would have to manually forward each one of your emails to the mail-sync to get them into PP. Additionally, if you are a federal criminal lawyer and use CORRLINKS to communicate with your clients you will know that you can't forward out of that system. PP doesn't let you copy/paste emails so your stuck.

Legal Services, 11-50 employees