All Wave Reviews

Jose

1 employee

Used less than 6 months

Reviewed February 2021

If you're a small company just starting out this is the tool for you!

Kari

Human Resources, 2-10 employees

Reviewed May 2021

I LOVE Wave!

Overall, I highly recommend Wave if you are running a business and want low costs and an easy way to manage your finances. My business is simple and Wave makes it so much easier for me to stay on top of things and know where I need to focus my energy.

PROS

I have been using Wave since around 2015 and my books were a mess when I first began because I was doing them (not my strength) and once I heard about Wave's bookkeeping services, I couldn't believe how affordable they were. It's super easy to set up and use, run reports and know about your financials. I tried switching to QB for about 1 month and hated it, so I switched back. Lesson learned and I'm sticking around!

CONS

One thing I had to get used to was because I had my bank account connected and until the month is reconciled, when a invoice is paid I mark it paid and then the 'payment' comes in again from banking. It was easy to catch and now my Wave bookkeeper keeps all that reconciled. Thank you!

Reason for choosing Wave

I chose Wave because of a family recommendation and how easy it was for me to set up an account and get things moving. The others may have changed, but I still recommend Wave to anyone who is looking for an easy & affordable way to get their business going.

Ashley

Automotive, 2-10 employees

Reviewed February 2024

Accounting without a Cost

I loved this software/app so much that I actually decided to open a personal account and use it for mine and my husbands personal finances! I had been using the good ole trusty excel for this. But this makes everything so much nicer. It imports all my husbands charges and then I can code them and see just where our money is going. Not to mention, it has help the business I work for be more successful in bringing in a bigger profit! If you are trying to decided between software's and don't know where to start, try Wave for your business accounting needs.

PROS

The first greatest thing about Wave is that is FREE!!! If you are just starting out, or a small business where overhead and expense need to be kept to a minimum, I recommend this app. It has all basic functions you need like, quotes, invoicing, statements, entering bills, receipts, reconciling bank statements, etc. All of these services including reporting are included in the free software! It has payroll functions for an additional charge, which we have opted out of for the time being. You can even link your bank account to it and it will import all the your debits and credits for reconciling. Also, this software is super user friendly and you do not need to be a tech expert to understand it. It will set you up with preloaded items it thinks you need for your business and then you can change them or delete them. You can also add new ones super easy while doing this or after the fact. I really love that its cloud base and can be accessed anywhere. This makes it key for me when traveling for work.

CONS

Honestly Wave is pretty awesome that it was hard to find cons with it. The only drawback for me is the reporting. I wish I was able to customize them and select certain data to analyze. The reports are basic and standard, they just don't quite cover what I am looking for in my reporting.

Reason for choosing Wave

I choose Wave due to pricing, that its also stored on the cloud so it can be accessed anywhere at anytime. Also the setup was super easy and done in a day.

Samantha

Law Practice, 2-10 employees

Reviewed June 2022

Not enough features and virtually NO customer support

It was fine when we had one part-time employee. But for all the real-life scenarios that pop up when you have full-time employees, it's useless. The customer service is also super disappointing and unhelpful. We only use it for payroll, which should not require much in terms of software so I can't imagine trying to use it for accounting.

PROS

I like how easy it was to set-up--that process was straightforward and the interface initially was easy to understand. Unfortunately as we needed to do more after adding a full-time employee, it proved impossible to work with or use.

CONS

For payroll you have no options, and even when they recognize this, they don't provide a solution. A good example--we had an employee who had maxed out her vacation hours, but we agreed to let her take a few unpaid vacation days. There was no way for us to do this within Wave (you get paid vacation time or nothing). I chatted and even emailed with various representatives--all of which were super unhelpful, and we ended up wasting a lot of time before just being told this isn't an option. That's another huge con--there is virtually no support. The chat bot is not only unhelpful, but real agents are usually unavailable or there's a 20+ minute wait. The system is also not improving like I'd expect. I was notified today that my card declined for some reason so I followed the instructions that Wave emailed me to try to fix it, and it's like someone wrote them without looking at Wave's website because none of the instructions match. Not only is there not a change payment button but there's a Q/A at the end of the page where a user specifically asked this question, and there's no answer! I kick myself for picking this software, and we're in the process of moving to Gusto right now.

Reason for choosing Wave

Price and what we thought was ease of use. Now the price has gone up to match competitors (but the features have not), so it was a mistake.

Kevin

Our business runs on Wave

PROS

Free to use most features. Professional looking branded invoices.

CONS

Lack of support on the free tier. confusing to set up for non accountants.

Reasons for switching to Wave

Price and frustration using the software.

DAYNA

Consumer Goods, 2-10 employees

Reviewed April 2024

Excellent Free Software for Small Businesses

Extremely easy to use and a perfect first software for service based businesses that don't want to pay for Quickbooks yet.

PROS

- Free - Cloud based - Easily customizable/brandable invoicing and reports

CONS

It does not do costing per order or inventory management as far as I'm aware.

Reason for choosing Wave

Cost is free with Wave and did not need to track inventory.

Robert

Reviewed February 2024

Wave Apps Rocks

Our experience from start to finish was really good.

PROS

Wave Apps was easy to use and easy to setup. It makes our business much easier to run.

CONS

There was really nothing to not like. The product is amazing.

Reasons for switching to Wave

QuickBooks was getting expensive and hard to use.

Laura

Retail, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Best free invoicing service

Overall great experience super user friendly for me and those i send invoices too.

PROS

For a free service it can't be beat - the invoicing is super user friendly.

CONS

No huge complaints - a little more difficult to integrate with shopify but again for a free service I highly recommend this invoicing service.

Juliana

Entertainment, 1 employee

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Quick and Efficient Invoicing

PROS

Wave is a highly efficient app and website that has streamlined my invoicing for my independent contract work.

CONS

Wave has many advance features that I do not need for my purposes, but I can see that these features would be incredibly useful in a larger, more complex business.

1 employee

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed May 2024

Great product, but no longer automatic

Overall it's one of the best financial products I've found for freelancers and small business owners.

PROS

I really like how easy it is to look at monthly expenses and income.

CONS

Wave is now making users on the free plan input data themselves, it's no longer automated. This takes more time so I'm not sure if the product will be worth using in the future.

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Get Paid with Wave

PROS

Wave allows you to seamlessly send out invoices and track payments

CONS

The money collecting functionality takes a bit of work to set up - not intuitive.

Princess

Banking, 1,001-5,000 employees

Used monthly for less than 6 months

Great Wave

PROS

the app was easy to use, no much technicalities. payment was always swift and quick, perfect

CONS

there really not to like less and the system was amazing

Andi

Reviewed May 2019

Wave Shows Me the Money!

Before I used Wave, I was behind every month on my invoicing. I hated sending invoices, and I really, REALLY hated being the Collections person, asking my clients to pay their bills. Then I found Wave, and my whole life changed. I was able to get set up super quickly, connect to my bank, add my clients' contact information, and set up the template for my invoices. Now, I have "Monthly Invoicing" on my calendar, and it takes me about 15 minutes to handle the task (instead of 2 hours). My favorite emails are, "Congrats! You Got Paid!" from Wave. I feel fantastic!

PROS

Wave has absolutely changed my business for the better. It used to take me about 2 hours a month to do my invoicing, which I hated doing, and so I avoided it. Now, I handle monthly invoicing in about 15 minutes. Plus, as new clients come in or one-off projects are completed, I can send the invoices quickly—like 5 minutes. So ease of use is absolutely the first thing I love about Wave. Second, as a small business owner, I am in charge of acquiring new clients, executing the work, invoicing for the work, and then acting as collections when clients are late in paying. With Wave, I check a simple box that sends reminders to the client when things are past due. What a relief! It's coming from "my accounting department" rather than me. Hallelujah! Third, the payment process is so easy for my clients! They can pay any way they want—check, credit card, bank, whatever. It's so easy for them, and I have had zero complaints. It's also fantastic to know when clients have (or haven't) viewed the invoice. And getting the emails from Wave announcing that I've been paid are the best emails of the day. The fact that all of this amazingness is free? That's just the icing on the cake. Thank you, Wave!

CONS

My only issue with Wave is probably a rare use-case. I manage invoicing for a client of mine. (Side note: Wave made it SO EASY for me to be an admin of her account but not the manager, and I can log into my account to access hers. It is AWESOME!) She sells programs, and her clients generally pay in one invoice. Occasionally, her clients need to pay in installments. It was not easy to set up a recurring invoice for only three months to send to the client, especially without a credit card on file. I had to create three different invoices, and label them as Installment #1, #2, etc. However, I recognize that this is probably a one-off user scenario that not many people would need. And I can't complain when the tool is free, and I found a workaround.

Reason for choosing Wave

Honestly, it seemed ridiculous to pay a monthly fee and such high service charges with ProCharge. I'm not big enough nor do I send enough invoices to justify the cost. For Invoicely, the free plan accepts PayPal payments only, so this would be difficult for many of my clients that are businesses and don't use a PayPal account. And there's no branding available. Wave just offers a perfect solution for small businesses that's free while still being robust. I love it!

Brooke

Design, 1 employee

Reviewed August 2020

LOVE LOVE LOVE

Wave no longer integrates with CapitalOne Spark Business Checking & Savings. CapitalOne is going through some changes so I don't blame Wave too much but manually uploading bank statements every month is a hassle. Though I love Spark, I'm hopefully that Wave's banking that is coming soon will be a good future solution. I love Wave for everything else. It's the most rounded and affordable solution for my small business finances.

PROS

It's everything I need in one place. As a small business, Wave is the best solution for me. I can invoice my clients for free, and easily keep my finances up-to-date making tax season worry free.

CONS

Wave no longer integrates with CapitalOne Spark Business accounts, so I have to manually upload two bank statements every month into Wave; One for my checking and one for my savings account, both of which are Spark.

Reasons for switching to Wave

Quickbooks is too expensive and more difficult to use. Wave is a miracle.

Josh

Design, 1 employee

Reviewed August 2021

Awesome free accounting online software for your business that is super professional!

There is very little more I can ask for with Wave for my small business. It is free for the features I need and allows me to take only ACH or credit card payments with a reasonable fee and I only pay the fixed percentage when I use those features so I can just turn it off and get a check from a client and not pay anything. Great Flexibility!

PROS

Its free for small businesses that just need a good business accounting software! You can take ACH and CC payments if you want and turn them off on invoices you don't want it on. The rates are reasonable enough for using these services. The reports are easy enough for doing taxes. It's awesome and cheap for those that are one man shows or freelancers.

CONS

The thing that is the most annoying is when you want to do a recurring billing. It doesn't use something like Maintenance contract #1 then go to #2 or something like that it makes recurring billing invoice names that were the most recent of any invoices. Maybe I am not using it correctly, but each time I have to go and change invoice names then manually send it to the client.

Reason for choosing Wave

I originally chose Wave as it was free. Now I just love it and it works well for me so no reason to even look somewhere else.

Summer

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1 employee

Reviewed August 2022

Wave has everything you need to run a small business

I LOVE this software. I have been using it without issue for 2 years + without issue and it has really helped me organize my business. I will definitely stay with them as long as I can

PROS

The best thing about WAVE is its ease of use. It was so easy to learn to use this. Additionally the invoices are really customizable. There is a huge amount you can do with just the free version but if you upgrade to the paid version you can access a lot more of the accounting features and payment features. I like that for security reasons the software logs you out at the end of the day. The invoices look very professional and are downloadable and can be sent with a pdf attachment. When a partial payment is made you can send a receipt reflective of how much was paid, how, when and with how much balance left. The software will also alert me when a payment is overdue. You can also add tax and discounts to the invoices.

CONS

The only gripe I have is that when I made changes to the invoice parameters, I was unable to delete the old parameters because they had been used in previous invoices. It would be nice to be able to "inactivate" or send to "archive" these parameters.

cost

Reasons for switching to Wave

This software is totally customizable, will send emails to clients automatically and has an accounting component. It is MUCH better and more professional than anything I could do with pages.

Barbara

Accounting, 2-10 employees

Reviewed October 2022

We no longer accept Quickbooks clients after finding WAVE Accounting!

No matter what complaints we have, we 100% now use Wave Accounting. We no longer accept Quickbooks clients and encourage any nw client consultations to switch over. For every new start-up business we assist, we automatically set up a wave accounting software for them and help them sync their busienss bank accounts. We also assist former Quickbooks users to switch over and set everything up for them.

PROS

This software is 100% FREE to use! No gimmicks, no catches. I was skeptical when one of my clients told me he used this. I did NOT want to lean yet another accounting software, but once I logged in and found out how easy and streamlined this software was to use, I was 100% sold on it! The ONLY fees they charge are IF you decide to use their payroll (I highly advise AGAINST using their payroll, it needs an overhaul), or IF you use them for payment processing of invoices you send to clients. The fees for using their payment processing are similar to those of Square and Stripe and a small price to pay for the amazing software. I would encourage you to use their payment processing so this service can remain on the free billing platform with no monthly charges!

CONS

1) Reporting abilities are lackluster! No way to print "no receipts attached" reports for clients. 2) Sometimes has glitches. We will work in this software, then log in later and all of the work we did has disappeared. Major panic attacks more than once! Still having problems with one account in particular. If I log in on an incognito window, the work is there again (sometimes). 3) Payroll systems SUCKS. I do not recommend! Square payroll is our go-to! 4) Chart of accounts is OUTDATED and does NOT match Schedule C nor S-Corporation tax return expense line items. We should be able to customize a chart of accounts the way we want it and be able to copy/paste it into other client accounts 5) Accountant login is great except the list is not always alphatized correctly. We should be able to alphabetize and/or sort by PRIORITY account 6) Need an easier/quicker way to upload receipts

Reason for choosing Wave

Free software; easy to use; quick to learn; ease to reconcile; accountant login

Reasons for switching to Wave

The EASE of use, the FREE software vs. the monthly expese of Quickbooks, How QUICK it is to reconcile monthly.

Suzanne

Photography, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2020

Wave error messed up my entire system and they want to charge me $3000 to fix it

It was good while it lasted, before their system made my data unusable. They really tried to be helpful, I chatted with several friendly people online, all of whom were unable to resolve my issues. They were unable to refer me to a WaveApps specialist in my area. Ultimately their solution was to offer me one of their bookkeepers at a cost of $3000 to fix the problem they created. No thanks.

PROS

It was wonderfully easy to use, the invoices looked professional and payment processing features were handy.

CONS

TLDR: Major syncing, reconciling and support issues Two of my accounts synced twice (so I had four accounts in Wave where there should have been two) and they were unable to fix this. Their suggested fixes did not work. They have chat and email support but no phone support and even though they logged in as an admin they were unable to fix this problem. A recent update to their system caused my entire past four years of records to be unreconciled, and the only fix was to go back to the beginning of time and compare each transaction ever made. They offered me a bookkeeper to do this for me for $269/month for a minimum of 12 months, despite my being very diligent about keeping my account up to date for the past four years. I have switched to another system now.

Reason for choosing Wave

Essentially an acquaintance was using waveapps and it looked like it would be great.

Reasons for switching to Wave

I wanted to be able to send invoices and have everything be tracked automatically.

Jamie