All FreshBooks Reviews

Dinos

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed June 2022

I use FreshBooks because it's support kicks ass...

Maddie

Information Technology and Services, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed May 2022

FreshBooks made my day at work so much easier

Integration with customers' books, as well as the option to include team members in the layout, are all included. On the subject of Application Programming Interfaces. It appeals to me since it brings everything together in one convenient location. The entire software is so simple to use that anyone can learn how to use it.

PROS

I appreciate how user-friendly it is, as well as the appearance of the program, and that it has the essentials when it comes to monitoring money and sending invoices and proposals. It's a really amazing piece of software that provides quick alerts. Excels in the area of financial reporting. When it comes to bank reconciliation, the general ledger is really helpful. Excellent in regard to project accounting.

CONS

The absence of features like as email automation and scheduling, which are provided by applications such as Dubsado and Honeybook, would be an example. One thing I'd want the developers to improve on is making sure that updates are made at the very least within one hour and not much longer.

Reasons for switching to FreshBooks

Freshbooks not only helps me with the core responsibilities of invoicing and costs, but it also assists me in getting a comprehensive picture of the financial health of my company.

Linda

Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed July 2023

A fantastic tool for accountants, FreshBooks

Simple to use and effective, with a wealth of helpful features that can be tweaked to improve the final product. Simple enough for those who aren't tech savvy. It's a great program with two uses: as a payment chip that works with any card, and as a tool for managing your company's finances.

PROS

FreshBooks is an accounting software that manages your daily invoices, receipt approvals, expenses, billable hours, and financial records. To improve the financial management of small businesses, FreshBooks is developing a cloud-based accounting solution. The firm boasts industry-leading customer service.

CONS

They recently implemented a new format that was mandatory for all users. The old version of FreshBooks was far better than the new one. The software's electronic payment option is the worst part. Some banks allow it while others refuse to even process the transaction.

Reasons for switching to FreshBooks

I was able to find everything I needed in FreshBooks, and the company is actively working to provide me with updates that will be useful to my business. This includes competitive pricing and the return of formerly standard features like recurring billing and time tracking.

Micheal

Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed April 2024

FreshBooks: A Reliable and Easy to Use Accounting Software

PROS

I like the impressive capabilities of FreshBooks. FreshBooks has been working so well for us.

CONS

I am impressed by everything about FreshBooks. FreshBooks is super reliable

Craig

Reviewed September 2019

Good for time tracking and invoicing; barely functional for accounting

The original version of FreshBooks, which we started using in 2014, was great for time tracking and invoicing. Unfortunately, they decided to build a completely new web application to add accounting features. We migrated to the new version about two years ago, and it did not go well. The new version didn't add many useful features, and the time tracking app got worse (see above). We decided to try the accounting feature this year (2019) because Xero started getting more expensive and lost its payroll feature. We have found the FreshBooks accounting features to be barely usable, and we're struggling to find an accountant that will support FreshBooks.

PROS

FreshBooks is good for freelancers or service-based small businesses that need to track time spend on client projects, and report the time on invoices. It's also good for tracking basic expenses, whether they are allocated to the business, or passed on to clients. The reporting features are also useful. The payroll integration with Gusto is a simple and affordable way to run payroll for a small business.

CONS

The mobile app for time tracking became so buggy that I had to stop using it; it would frequently lose track of the time if I paused the timer. They also added a "feature" that creates a new line item on the invoice every time you pause the timer, which really clutters up the invoice. I now use a separate tracking app and manually enter my time. The accounting features are barely adequate, and the accounting functionality is more like a public beta than production software. There's a chart of accounts, bank reconciliation, and a general ledger. We use cash-basis accounting, so it works for us, but if you carry inventory, I don't think FreshBooks will support accrual accounting. The bank reconciliation was officially "beta" until very recently. Admins aren't allowed to edit the chart of accounts, so you need to have an accountant or bookkeeper set it up. Unfortunately, most accountants I've talked to won't work with FreshBooks directly. Strangely, FreshBooks will help you find a bookkeeper who works with FreshBooks, but not an accountant.

Reasons for switching to FreshBooks

We switched from Xero to FreshBooks for accounting because the value of Xero keeps going down. Xero used to offer payroll and expenses for about $30/month, but now that Xero no longer offers payroll, you have to pay a separate fee to a payroll provider. You also have to pay a much higher monthly fee to Xero if you want expense reporting.

Hey Craig, thank you for taking the time to share this detailed review of FreshBooks. I'm sorry to hear that you've run into issues with our mobile app and the timer creating multiple timers (though that is by design). If you had specific suggestions or features that you'd like to see for the Accounting features or anything else in FreshBooks, our team would love to hear it! I have flagged your feedback to be heard by our Product Specialists directly, but if there's anything else our Support Team would be happy to capture that feedback. They can be reached at help@freshbooks.com or 1-866-303-6061 Monday through Friday, 8am-8pm EST. ^DM

Replied October 2019

Andrey

Banking, 2-10 employees

Reviewed January 2024

FreshBooks - Smarter replace of QuickBooks

Great experience - using it personally and for business, performs core accounting (General Ledger / Accounts Payable / Receivable) functions and provides lots of reports and lots of automation and great UX

PROS

Better pricing, better user interface and more functions as compared to QuickBooks (and all same functions are equally good but more intuitive)

CONS

Not much - possibly capturing expense receipts and better AI-driven logic to organize them by expense category could use improvement. Possibly more financial reports

Reason for choosing FreshBooks

Better pricing, better user experience, more reporting and customer support

Reasons for switching to FreshBooks

Better pricing and better user experience

Adam

Information Technology and Services, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed August 2023

FreshBooks – awesome tools, improvable customer service

In addition, the time accounting function is simple and allows us to monitor business activities as a whole. It has helped us identify and quantify the time spent on both responsble and non-responsible work, allowing us to adjust costs and be more efficient in our operations. Overall, FreshBooks has made managing our finances and time effective.

PROS

Using FreshBooks has been a game changer for me and my team. The platfom excels in accounting and expense management, it offers a variety of functions such as generation and tracking of invoices quite complete, it has a history function for better control, this makes decision making easier, in terms of its interface I could say which is friendly and easy to navigate, saving us time and keeping everything organized. With freshbooks it's easy to customize reports and track metrics across multiple projects at once.

CONS

My experience with FreshBooks has been frustratng at times not because of its tools, but especially when it comes to customer support. Some time ago the live chat option provided quick and helpful responses, this made it easy for me to fix any problem, but now I am forced to send emails that go unanswered for days. And many times they are generic answers, which do not solve anything for me and delay the whole process.

has better Performance and reliability in Accounting

Maddie

Computer Games, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed September 2023

Effective all-in-one accounting platform for SMEs

It's used for projects that can cover their own costs. It's dependable, and I have no interest in switching to something else. One unified accounting system will allow us to grow from a medium to a large business with less disruption and increased accuracy.

PROS

With its built-in team collaboration features, any comments made about projects or company goals can be recorded for later reference in reports. Fresh Books has a time tracking feature that is useful for medium and small enterprises.

CONS

It is helpful to have more barcode tracking and postal service integrations. It would be beneficial if the rapid payment feature were made available through more global neobank gateways.

Reasons for switching to FreshBooks

My company has found it to be an invaluable resource for handling basic accounting functions including managing accounts receivable, payable, inventory, and payroll.

Alan

Reviewed February 2024

FreshBooks - Quicker and Easier than the other

Migrating from what everyone thinks is the Number 1 Account Solution to Freshbooks was easy. Simple setup and then found out I had a dedicated account rep if I needed help

PROS

Super easy to setup; created customers, and products and set up recurring invoices on auto-pilot

CONS

haven't found anything I don't like so far

Liked the interface of FreshBooks better than ZoHo

Reasons for switching to FreshBooks

Lack of support; issues with using the product, just wasn't easy to use

Daniella

Accounting, 1 employee

Reviewed March 2024

General review

PROS

It is reliable and easy to handle. The invoice are sent swiftly and precise. The safe keeping of documents

CONS

nothing really, you must have stable network and you're good.

Steve

Internet, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for less than 12 months

Reviewed March 2024

Easy to Use Billing Software

PROS

The fact we can customize our invoices is the biggest reason for using FreshBooks. Please we can now integrate with Stripe and other payment systems so that helps a LOT.

CONS

I wish the fees didn't kick in until after 5 or 7 clients were added. But I also understand their reasoning.

Andreas

Telecommunications, 1 employee

Reviewed December 2019

Freshbooks - Still one of the best billing systems around

Able to run and invoice quickly. Add the strong integration that it has with Freshdesk for ticketing and my time tracking - it has allowed me to better streamline my operations.

PROS

Tracking and customer portal that is fully labeled as your own... this is a feature most competitors do not have. Know when your customers have viewed your invoices and even printed them! Slick mobile app

CONS

Pricing has gone up vis a vis other comparable competitors. Ticketing is very basic. One issue that could have been done better is that this is more of a quoting system and not proposal based. So making fancier proposals you are best off using another platform.

Reasons for switching to FreshBooks

Portal for my customers to look at historical invoices.

Scott

Reviewed December 2021

Run as fast as you can from this platform now that they are forcing migrations to new platform

FreshBooks was founded by someone that wanted to make a great product for small businesses to do invoicing and time tracking, that focus is obviously gone and the focus revolves around their payment processing.

PROS

We implemented the "Classic Freshbooks" which was a super clean interface that you could navigate with your keyboard for the most part, was stable and efficient. This worked great for us for almost 10 years.

CONS

They are now forcing their new interface on everyone, which is buggy and slow. Constant downtime at critical times like end of month, causing customers not to be able to access and pay invoices. Huge financial repercussions for us due to this.

Reasons for switching to FreshBooks

Wanted an online system which QB didn't offer at the time.

Hey Scott, thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreshBooks. You are correct that we are moving customers to the new FreshBooks. I'm sorry that you've experienced some issues with your account since moving, but our Support Team is here to help however we can. While there are some changes between the classic and new FreshBooks, feedback from customers like yourself is absolutely valuable to our team as we make continue to make changes and updates to the software. We post those updates here: https://support.freshbooks.com/hc/en-us/articles/360054235012-Changes-Updates-in-2021. If you have any questions or matters we can assist with, the contact details for our Support Team are listed here: https://www.freshbooks.com/contact. ^DM

Replied December 2021

Sara

Hospital & Health Care, 5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewed June 2022

Great accounting and invoicing software

Easy-to-use: Freshbooks A lot of functions are available and you can get started in a short period of time. Clients will love this for making payments. Freshbooks' user-friendliness and the fact that all of my clients are saved there are two things I really like. All of my client data has been held there for more than a decade.

PROS

FreshBooks has a really visually appealing interface, and that's something I really like. Even after a long day at work, logging in never leaves me feeling drained. When I log in, the most crucial information is right there on the dashboard. FreshBooks can help me operate my design business. Tracking my time, creating estimates and invoicing, creating projects, setting up regular retainers, etc. are just some of the things I do.

CONS

As a result, there can be a lot of confusion when it comes to automatic payments. The smartphone app itself also needs a lot of work. In addition, the FreshBooks customer service needs improvement. I'd like to see some of the more expensive plans' extras available to everyone.

Reasons for switching to FreshBooks

For the sake of my business finance manager, I don't mess about with Excel spreadsheets. Self-employment taxes are calculated based on the information provided. It saves me a ton of time, and by the end of the year, I'm well-prepared for tax time.

Alicia

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 2-10 employees

Reviewed September 2022

Fine if you are the only one in your business

It was rated well, so I expected better performance. Reconciling the small transactions I get from health insurance companies is very time consuming and it seems like there should be a better way to add those payments without having to manually enter each one when I have to reconcile. Invoices default to "accrual" accounting which is a pain if you use cash-based accounting (which I do). Overall, I have not been able to have accurate business numbers (profit/loss) for months because trying to figure out how to add payroll info has been so challenging.

PROS

I loved that I could upload clients I frequently invoice when I transitioned. Setting up my bank links was very simple and transactions were downloaded easily. You can set up rules for accounts and they will follow those. Invoices look good and are easy to create.

CONS

The software does not support accounting if you have employees and are paying any benefits. Trying to separate out the cost of what my employees contribute to health insurance, retirement, etc. vs what I contribute has been a nightmare. My bookkeeper and I both spent a lot of time with Freshbooks support trying to figure out how to do that. Turns out it is with a journal entry which is time consuming and makes no sense.

Reason for choosing FreshBooks

Reviews on Capterra were good at the time for Freshbooks. It was described as easy to use.

Reasons for switching to FreshBooks

I switched to Freshbooks from Xero because Xero would not sync with my bank. This was very easy with Freshbooks. The link consistently works, even though my bank is a smaller one just in my region.

Hey Alicia, thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreshBooks. I have ensured that your feedback about your accounting experience in FreshBooks has been passed along to our Product Team on your behalf. If there is any other feedback you wish to share, or queries our team can assist with, the contact information for our Support Team can be found here: https://www.freshbooks.com/contact ^DM

Replied September 2022

Graphic Design, 1 employee

Reviewed December 2018

Improvements need to keep coming ....

I've been a FreshBooks customer for YEARS and I do like them. I've ridden it out through all the changes and just dealt with how interfaces change and prices change. In the past few years there have been a lot more freelancer payment management systems that have come along. I've looked around, but I find myself staying with what is comfortable even though something else may be better. Fear of the unknown I guess, and not wanting to learn a new system while I'm busy working. I just think there could be some improvements made since the last major interface update. It was like a whole OS upgrade and then no new updates for the past few years -- other than pricing tier changes. There is no sense that FreshBooks is looking to improve and listen to their customers about what features they need or would like to see. Just my opinion and view. I could be very wrong. Thanks.

PROS

Over the years, FreshBooks has made efforts to improve its service and update the levels of programs. The latest change they made to the interface has improved some things but other parts have been left behind and I've personally not seen any updates or changes in the past few years. What I like MOST is what they started with years ago -- the ability to remind clients at the 30, 60, 90 day marks to pay their bills. However, the interface to set that feature up changed a few years ago with their major update and it's not as intuitive now.

CONS

I do NOT like the timer starting off before you even choose what project you are working on. This is a SIMPLE FIX. I asked about it years ago and was told that -- yah, basically you launch the timer and then click the pause button while you work out what project you are on -- then start the timer again. Not a good design. I do NOT like setting up a new project and having a ton of task all added to this new project that I have to deselect -- about 20 or so that I have to remove each time -- and then add in the correct task for that project. I do NOT like having to deal with setting default payment settings and reminders for each client I set-up. Can't that just be a universal default setting to turn on? I do NOT like having service tiers change and being told the level I was previously on is changing and this new level will cost more -- and that's what I have to accept now. I'm a independent contractor and I have few clients -- I don't need the next level. But ... whatever.

Kent

1 employee

Reviewed April 2017

Like it But Lacking Decent Timer

This is a review of Freshbooks Classic. They have just come out with a new version that I am not using due to a lack of addins at this early stage. I use Freshbooks to invoice my customers for the time and materials I spend on their products. I have recurring invoices that automatically bill my customers on the first of the month for their monthly recurring services and any labor I may have spent on their project for for support. Freshbooks definitely makes the invoicing process simple and easy. I don't have to worry about manually creating invoices each month. A big time saver. It also provides several different ways for the customer to pay their invoice including credit card and PayPal (PayPal is not an option in the new version of Freshbooks). But Freshbooks doesn't make the time tracking simple. Since most of my charges are based off time spent working on customer products, I need a powerful Timer tool. Freshbooks does not supply that tool. They have a very rudimentary tool that is browser based. You click start, select your Project and Task, then press stop when completed. Life isn't that simple. I may be working for one client when another calls on the phone. I would have to stop the existing timer, select a new project/task, start the timer again, then after stopping it, go through the whole process again to go back my original task. Awful. Instead I had to purchase a desktop based tool called Chronomate that is so much more powerful. It even knows when I've stepped away from desk and forgot to stop the timer. It also uploads to Freshbooks so I don't have to manage anything. Bliss. Of course the developer isn't maintaining it anymore so it doesn't work with the new version of Freshbooks. Crud. Because of the lack of a decent time tracking tool I won't be updating to the new version of Freshbooks anytime soon.

PROS

Very easy to invoice.

CONS

Time tracking methods/tool are totally lacking.

Hi Kent! Tim from FreshBooks here, thanks for taking the time to leave us a detailed review. I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying using the auto-bill, recurring invoicing aspect of the software! I definitely hear you when it comes to the lacking experience for time tracking. I'm not too sure if you've tried the new FreshBooks yet, but we did improve upon time tracking section so that you'll only need to enter in your client to track time (no more entering all sorts of information!), we also display the last five timer you've used on the page so that you can switch between them quickly. That said, the new FreshBooks' time tracker isn't as smart as Chronomate, but we hope we'll continue to build on it to make it work for you, as well as including more add-ons that will work with it. Thanks again, Kent! If you have any additional questions or comments, feel free to reach out to our support team at 1-866-303-6061 between 8am - 8pm eastern time. Best, - Tim

Replied May 2017

Idris

Business Supplies and Equipment, 51-200 employees

Reviewed February 2023

My Honest Reviews About Freshbook

PROS

the most notable or noteworthy aspects of Freshbooks, there are several that are worth mentioning:Invoicing: Freshbooks offers a robust invoicing system that makes it easy to create and send professional-looking invoices to your clients. You can customize your invoices with your branding, accept online payments, and set up automatic payment reminders.Time tracking: Freshbooks includes a built-in time tracking system that allows you to track time spent on projects or tasks. You can also set up project budgets and track your team's hours to ensure you're staying within budget.Expense tracking: Freshbooks makes it easy to track expenses by allowing you to upload receipts, import expenses from your bank or credit card, and categorize expenses by project or client. You can also set up recurring expenses and mark expenses as billable to clients.Reporting: Freshbooks offers a variety of customizable reports that provide insights into your business's financial health. You ca