• Pros

• "I love the ease of it! It took us less than 2 hours to get up and running. It has improved the communication between staff and with our parents"

• "Good features, mostly intuitive and easy to use. Mostly timely and responsive customer service. -- although they may have set the bar pretty high. :-) "

• "Easy to access all kids and staff and parents! When there is a message I need to send to students who I do not teach - I can find them and communicate with them easily!"

• Cons

• "There are a few little bugs that can be annoying. It needs to work far better as a mobile app. On a computer it's great."

• "Customer support is almost always excellent...but there are times when responses have been slow or problems lingered. "

• "I had a few issues with the classes not having room numbers last year, but that was quickly resolved! As of this moment, there isn't anything I would change."

Browse Edsby Reviews

Aaron from Sunway International School

It is exactly what I've been looking for.

Pros

The ease and familiarity of a social media platform with the security and transparency of educational software. I can respond to my students questions from anywhere in the world at anytime and I know that our interaction is transparent for their security and mine.

Cons

The gradebook takes some getting used to and doesn't have all of the functionality of a dedicated platform.

K-12 Social Networking Based LMS

Overall, the Edsby platform excels at social communication and K-12 school management. I wouldn't necessarily call it a proper LMS just yet because it only recently added the functionality to build asynchronous courses and import SCORM based learning modules.

Pros

The company is based in Ontario, Canada and focuses on K-12 education which is exactly where my school lands. As a result, many of the changes and customization are geared towards my school. Most the major LMS companies are based in the US so their focus is naturally there.

Cons

It seems like the number of customer service staff has not grown at a rate that can accommodate the number of clients that Edsby is accumulating. This has resulted in excruciatingly slow response times, especially around September and October.

Reasons for Choosing Edsby

Again, Edsby is more K-12 and Ontario focused.

Reasons for Switching to Edsby

As mentioned before, Edsby is more K-12 and Ontario focused.

Malissa from Elementary School

Edsby for Gradebook

Overall, Edsby does have some features that are really great. The gradebook and report card are the easiest I have ever used. I would recommend if those features are important to you.

Pros

I mainly use Edsby for it's gradebook and report card features. I find it very easy to work with and like to it auto-saves information that is input.

Cons

It is not as user friendly for students and parents as it is for teachers and administration. It freezes and locks students out often.

Graham from Ontario Schools

Good in single classes, too labyrinthine for a whole courseload.

I've taught and learned via a host of LMSs, and as currently configured Edsby just isn't up to scratch for complete online learning. It works well enough as an adjunct to in-person learning, especially at the elementary level. Parent contacts works well, although my own classes are missing emails and I'm unsure why that is. I haven't used the gradebook yet so I can't comment. If I was to ask the dev team for 2 things they would be: 1) Make courses pinnable, and possibly even mutable. Allowing user customization will go long way. 2) Separate tasks and discussion. Student comments should never bury teacher announcements.

Pros

Generally intuitive and clear. Student and parent contact info is easy to find. Posts are easy to make.

Cons

It is remarkably easy to get lost or miss important items as a user of any type (teacher, student or parent). There is no ability to prioritise certain classes or threads, and the only way to post items is in the rolling general chat thread. The pinned item space is a limited area in the left margin, so to find anything you have to (1) go into the correct class/course and (2) scroll down past all other posts (including student chatter) to hopefully find the right thing in the timeline. If students or teachers are registered for multiple classes, there is no way to pin, prioritize or re-organize the order of classes, either for yourself or for your students. This means that 'Homeroom' is buried under a mountain of inactive classes or classes I'm no longer teaching.

Reasons for Switching to Edsby

This is the only licence my board provides me.

Response from Edsby

Replied January 2021

I'm sorry you're having an unsatisfactory experience with Edsby. Edsby was built in Ontario for the needs of Ontario educators. If you haven't used Edsby's ON Ministry Growing Success-friendly gradebook, you're missing a huge part of the value of Edsby. Re: ordering Edsby classes and groups, click and drag them on your Edsby desktop into any order you like. Your reordering is respected on all devices. And if student discussion in your classes is undesirable for how you want to use your classes, turn off the ability for students to post. Your choice as educator. Avail. in the Setup menu in each class. If you want to encourage student discussions or collaboration outside of your class containers, i.e. if you want to keep them teacher material-only, consider using Edsby Groups. Happy to walk you through specifics of the above or other perceived Edsby shortcomings. Post questions in the Edsby Feedback group in your Edsby system or write us at support@edsby.com.

Darryl from GECDSB

The Best Educational Management Tool Solution

I find Edsby is the ideal all in one classroom management tool. Edsby allows me to present lessons with a variety of image and video formats, evaluate, post results with comments in a way that resonates with students and is accessible to parents.

Pros

1. Intuitive layout 2. Very user-friendly for both teachers and students 3. The ability to incorporate various attachment formats such as .jpeg hyperlinks and .wmv files

Cons

I wish when accessing assignments for marking in the grade book the list on the right-hand side would show I have marked it and not require I click on the assignment on the list on the right in order to affect the number of unmarked assignments. I open the assignment and add comments by clicking on the assignment from the list on the grade book screen.

Reasons for Choosing Edsby

Edsby's willingness to customize the product to our needs and excellent support.

Lisa from QUINTE CHRISTIAN HIGH SCHOOL

Easy to use educational software for attendance, grades, and communication.

Pros

Clear and easy to use. Accessible in mobile and regular format. "One-stop shopping" for your educational communication: space for anecdotal and numerical grades, ability to communicate directly with students and or parents, attendance entry and communication with the office. Edsby allows parents to monitor their child's completion of assignments, grades, and what has happened each day in class. Students who are away on family vacations or sports trips can keep track of what happens in class. Teachers can post handouts as well, giving students the ability to complete homework even if they forget a binder at school. Simple and clear format.

Cons

I am generally pleased with how Edsby works. Any complaints I have are with small details. For example, the reportcard portion of Edsby lacks some of the features of a dedicated gradebook program. Also, I asked the customer service message board if there was a way to print out the curriculum expectations that we select for assignments (which are already in Edsby) at the end of semester, but have not received a response - customer service was much more responsive a few years ago.

Jeanne from Northmount School

Edsby Communication Tool

Daily use of Edsby is cohesive and timely. The staff at Edsby are always there to help.

Pros

Edsby offers a very successful communication tool to schools. Edsby links, Administrators, Teachers, Students and Parents with day to day knowledge of the academic and personal progress of students.

Cons

With COVID 19 is would be great if Edsby could integrate Edusafe Screening with their program.

pricing

Response from Edsby

Replied August 2020

Thanks, Jeanne. Appreciate you taking the time to share your impressions of Edsby. We're looking at how to best capture medical screening data. Watching for data standards to solidify.

farrell from Marshall Middle Magnet

Edsby For Middle School

Great for Online

Pros

VERY Student Friendly. Kids can easily navigate and find work

Cons

I wish the weighting of assignments and not just the points that could be scored.

School district made us

Ted from Smithville Christian High School

Review of Edsby

We got in with Edsby when they were new and very small. They have grown tremendously but still stay connected and grow from interaction with their member schools.

Pros

Edsby gives us the ability to connect learners, parents and teachers so that all parties can rally behind the learning and experience of students. It is easy to use and yet has depth which allows our savvy teachers to continue to discover and share features.

Cons

There are always ways in which Edsby needs to adjust to new circumstances, but they are quite adept at responding to these new challenges.

Julia from GECDSB

Edsby is a great school management tool

Edsby is a great teaching and learning tool, but it needs to move forward to be more user friendly for synchronous learning.

Pros

I enjoy the way a class is organized in different subjects and how teachers can be co-administrators.

Cons

There is no way to set up a post to be published in the future or to pin it to the top of the conversation.

Reasons for Choosing Edsby

Response from Edsby

Replied August 2020

Thanks, Julia. To capture a sent post at the top of an Edsby class or group, hover over it (in a web browser) and select "Pin," like you would "Like", or "Reply." It's there. Looking at incorporating more features specifically for remote learning.

Cristina from YRDSB

Edsby Feedback

Overall I would continue to use edsby in hope that it becomes less glitchy through final stages of piloting of new features, however I would not recommend its use to staff members who are not digitally strong or for staff members who have special education students as it is currently difficult to incorporate many students into the platform. For some teachers, there is a larger amount of patience, unreliability, and problems at this point.

Pros

I appreciate the interconnectedness of all features and the flexibility of features. The features strongly support teaching practices through Ministry outlined documents such as "Growing Success". The Classroom (Parent & Students), and gradebook are very powerful features. The team is quick to apply feedback to make improvements to workflow and many time-saving features. Edsby offers the ability to collect qualitative data and process it quickly and easily in a manner that students, teachers and parents can understand. The capacity of the calendars and classroom river feeds far surpass many other platforms currently available. Students can have access to a modern classroom and new ways of learning that will support their learning immediately and in the real world.

Cons

The software often has bugs, and difficulty running some scripts. The platform sometimes creates redundancies through teachers and students. The number of redundancies sometimes make it difficult(slow) to use the platform efficiently. Ex. The form to adjust staff assignments and student assignments cannot be edited by admin since it can only be opened to all schools. Staff have access to more student records and other staff records that they should not. Looking forward to a sufficient solution to this problem and more consideration for classrooms that have different structures (ex. Special Education, students with modified schedules or schedules that are continuing to change).

Response from Edsby

Replied November 2018

Thanks for the candid feedback. Researching your issues, I learned Edsby had some problems at your district -- YRDSB, 123,000 students on Edsby at 200 schools! -- the first few months of this school year (2018-2019) but we're confident we've solved many of them. Re: staff access to student panoramas in some cases (such as in groups), we're looking at making all of these cases customer-configurable. Many private school customers demand Edsby give teachers access to all information on every student in their school, everywhere, but some public districts want more restrictive policies. Making this work exactly the way each customer wants it is something we're committed to. It just takes engineering time and prioritization with everything else desired in Edsby. Look for improvements an upcoming release. Thanks for taking the time to write.

We have had Edsby since its inception. We are pleased with most of what it does and aspires to be.

It connects teachers, students, and administrators together in an effective way. It is a very good student management system and interface that has the potential to be great.

Pros

The connections that it allows among families, students, teachers and administrators. The overall look makes sense with grades on one side, the feed in the centre and the courses and libraries on the other side. It is easy to read and fairly intuitive. As an administrator, I like that I can see most everything so with one piece of software, I can get a good sense of what is going on overall but I also can get granularity, as I need. I like the ability to Broadcast messages. I like the ability to get an overview of a student, current as well as past, and a peek into the future re: courses and grades. The Report Card feature works well.

Cons

NUMBER 1 by far: There are no administrative master switches to do things such as turn off all grades or make them universally the same for all classes. There are certain times of the year that the look for parents and students should be the same. I either have to get each teacher to do it or give someone access to get it done for everyone. This is annoying. The inability for Edsby to change from day to day re: schedules - so attendance is often difficult to get correct. There is not enough flexibility to do so on our end. So the entire product looks shoddy to parents and students because times are rarely correct. It is tough for our attendance person to determine who is at school and who is not. The calendar is cumbersome. It takes too long to enter items and it is no easy to read. We have to use a separate calendar system. Messages are difficult to sort through (though the new sort feature is a great addition). Looking at past semesters is not easy. There are too many clicks. A single screen with all past grades and links from it would be much better.

Response from Edsby

Replied November 2018

Thanks for sharing your views on Edsby. Am pleased to share that your number one concern is unfounded - there IS a way in Edsby to do what you seek: you can push class setup options from a course model. Our head of customer success would like you to contact him so he can describe how to do this so you never have to manually do this again! He'd also like to find out more about your schedule concerns. You can reach him as bob(at)edsby.com or toll-free: +1 (877) 337-0070.

Everything you need in one place

Edsby has been very easy to work with. They are responsive and work to find compromises where our district may do something different from the norm. The software has grown significantly over last 5 years and includes much more than we originally planned, making Edsby a powerful tool in our district for communicating with students and parents.

Pros

As a parent, I want to be able to see everything my students are doing quickly and easily. Edsby allows easy access to all of my students (I have 4 at 4 different schools!) from one dashboard for any grade level. It doesn't matter if I'm on the mobile app or in the browser, the information is easy to access. I can also reach out directly to their teachers. Recent updates have also enabled push notifications about class updates and messaging. My students enjoy it too as it makes it easy for them to keep up to date on what's going on in their classes - NO MORE SURPRISES! As a district software administrator, Edsby is incredibly easy to manage. The super search feature allows me to quickly and easily access student or teacher information when assisting schools with troubleshooting questions. Granular permissions make sure that the correct people have access to the correct information and not more than they need. EdsbyLink ensures that data imports match our current Student Information System.

Cons

New features come fast! Its hard to keep teachers informed of new features as they arrive and help them use the features to their fullest capabilities.

Andrew from KPRDSB

Edsby - Where learning happens!

Pros

Edsby is an all in one solution. I use it for quizzes, rubrics, grade managing and reporting, sharing authentic online resources and scheduling. I love the fact that I can have students write a self-correcting quiz that automatically shows up in the Gradebook module. I have instant access to all my students' contact information, allowing me to easily contact them through messaging. Even though Edsby has a file management system, I can easily integrate Google Drive and other tools within it. It has made one step to closer to the paperless classroom easier. Edsby allows my students and I to stay organised and content and structure can easily be imported into the next school semester/year.

Cons

Some glitches are still present in the quiz maker where auto-saving sometimes corrupts the layout of the quiz. Attached files in quizzes get removed when transferring quizzes between folders. The end of unit/cycle names aren't visible in some-drop down menus if they are too long. Self-populating expectations no longer show up when you enter the expectation codes corresponding to them in the assessment creator. All these are minor glitches that can be ironed out through the customer service ticket system.

Brian from Lakefield College School

Still in start-up mode

Custom report cards. 3rd party LMS instead of internal LMS.

Pros

Meets our government regulatory compliance requirements. Awesome gradebook. Solid report cards. Pulls parent contact information, student contact information, teacher contact information, rooms and schedules from our SIS nightly. Changes are not updated in real time, but are updated within one day.

Cons

New features and updates are rolled out seemingly at the last minute. (ie 7pm notification of an overnight upgrade). Does not match the school year. Pull integration only with our SIS. Rigid roles. Parent account creation for parents that we want to authenticate with AD is problematic. Support department is only 2 people. Attendance is difficult. Does not allow users with multiple roles, ie teacher who is also a parent. Developments don't necessarily match school year. Lacks a threaded discussion board. Planning does not support backwards design. Calendars do not at this point have iCal feeds. No internal auditing of planned absences, so if a planned absence exists for a group or a class, if there is a change in the enrollment of the group or class, the planned absence is not modified for the user who changed enrollment. No list of known issues.

Lisa from Parent user

Daily Classwork Progress

My children have been using Edsby in their elementary, middle and high school for several years now. It is easy to keep up with their school work, upcoming assignments, tests and grades. It is helpful when they are absent since teachers usually post their daily work. It has been a great tool to stay up to date with their progress in each class.

Pros

Easy to use and view all schoolwork. Stay on top of my children's daily work and know what their grades are.

Cons

When you open an individual class it will not allow you to view the graph and assignments at the same time. Instead you have to go back to the class to open them individually. It makes viewing much slower. It would be easier if once at the class you could view both.

May 2015

Jon from St. Andrew's College

May 2015

Edsby LMS - Best of Breed

Our school has been using Edsby for 3 years now - it is quite simply the best of breed when it comes to LMS portals. There is nothing I have seen that comes close to its power, simplicity of use, and - most importantly - educational effectiveness. It integrates with our Blackbaud SIS, so pulls all student, teacher and parents into the cloud. We have 100% uptake by our teaching faculty and students, our data shows that 65% of parents have logged in, representing 100% of our families (we have an average of 3 parent accounts per student). We do our report cards, data analysis, and all daily class work and educational communication on Edsby. Specifically: - All teachers post a "Daybook" showing what was done in class, with links to web sources, attachments etc, plus a list of "homework" to be completed. This running record forms the backbone of what students see and do. Students and parents are presented with this as their homepage, so they always know what went on in class and what to do for homework. - All assignments, events etc automatically post to student calendars. Students can submit work directly back to Edsby. - The Gradebook is the best out there. Handles pretty much any grading system imaginable, is very flexible and customizable, and produces awesome graphs etc showing student performance to students, parents, teachers and administrators, flagging overdue assignments, custom notes and observations etc. - The Student Report Zoom automatically flags at-risk students (great for Administration and Grade Teams). Advisors can get instant summaries of student performance. - Messages get pushed out to whatever email the parent and student register on the system - It integrates with Google Docs - Does attendance of course, including attendance resolution by the Office. - The "Student Panorama" displays all of a student's information including Medical Alerts entered by our Health Centre, observations by teachers (for other teachers to see and use), attendance information, Academic probation alerts... And we have built several custom Apps to track Community Service Hours, our own Diploma system which requires students to earn leadership points, engage in school groups, teams, and activities - all tracked through the Edsby report card system. And all in a fast, friendly web browser.

Edsby from a student's perspective

Having used Edsby for the past 3 1/2 years in high school, it is an incredibly useful tool for staying organizied and being successful. I would highly recommend this tool to other schools for its features and ease of use.

Pros

-Edsby effectively aggregates all my school-related info in one place - the class page is the most useful in showing lesson content, unit plans, daily journals, and upcoming assessments on one page -I can (obsessively) check my current grades for any class at any time -It's easy to keep up with school news and extracurriculars in different groups -Office Online integration enables me to view Word/PowerPoint/Excel documents without having the desktop apps installed

Cons

-Certain features from the August 2018 update are undeveloped, such as the Emoji confidence indicator and document preview in the Content library -The iOS app feels slow and buggy; it can take several seconds to load some class pages or groups

Angelica from Sir Wilfrid Laurier P.S

Edsby is a reliable helper.

I work in education and with Edsby I can communicate with all parents, I have access to all the students information and data, I love the graphs generated and I am really looking forward to using it during interviews with parents. An image speaks louder than words abd EDSBY is an advocate for both students and teachers voices.

Pros

I loved the pedagogical documentation features.I can take a picture or a video of my student and all their hands on work. This is work that when my students would finish, it would be lost, the manipulatives would be placed in bins and their thinking would not be documented unless I would go around and had enough time to take anecdotal notes for all students on that project. Edsby saves me time, helps me organise my students work, values students voice and participation, helps record all of the assessment as learning done in the classroom.

Cons

I feel that the planner feature needs a lot of improvements. I would love to do all my planning online and then have a potential supply have direct access to them before coming to my classroom. It would also be a great tool to creating equitable working environments where all teachers use the same planners and are not "judged" on their technological literacy.

Lesley from KPRDSB

Edsby is great - there are tons of great features and it's user-friendly.

Online test option, seating plan, calendar function, student and parent communication, attaching files/assignments for absent students, due dates, etc.

Pros

I like the fact that I can communicate with students and parents in terms of due dates, test dates, missed work (I post what I do in class everyday and attach any assignments), as well as progress in the course (missing assignments, marked assignments, etc.).

Cons

I don't like how I can't enter multiple mark sets at time. I also wish there were attendance sheets with dates at the top (not the blank mark sheets). I also wish we could make our own names for what goes in the mark bucket (the drop-down list is good, but I wish I could choose the names of some of my items - example: "Fitness" for phys ed class). I wish there was a save function for report carding because I've had it happen where I've lost my internet connection and therefore, lost my recent comments for students.

Elizabeth from Greater Essex County District School Board

I use Edsby as my class website, to track student marks and as my complete daybook.

The best part for me is the Course Plan with the daily organization allowing me to include PPTs, videos, notes, etc...

Pros

I like the organization of the Course plan as I appreciate the daily record of my notes and resources. I appreciate the interactive aspect of the wall for classroom participation. It's helpful that handouts can be posted to reduce photocopy waste especially since students often interact comfortably with online text.

Cons

The online platform that I used to use for my class website was a lot more visually appealing. The Grade book aspect is a little not-userfriendly and has less functionality that the previous program I used. I would REALLY appreciate the ability to separate formative assessment from summative. For example, I like to use the online multiple choice questions the gauge their thinking as we go; however, when I am looking at their marks, I do not want them to be included. It is significant enough that I will either stop using the online quizzes or I will choose another software for keeping track of marks.

Will from Smithville Christian High School

Great product

Edsby allows us to centralize all learning-related communication into one management system quite effectively.

Pros

Really like the electronic reporting system that allows parents and students to see students' cumulative learning via Edsby accounts. Communication with all stakeholders occurs very easily and reliably through Edsby, by way of class posts to share assignments, messaging, and sharing of results of assessments. Edsby has an unmistakable and positive influence on learning climate in school culture.

Cons

Messaging allows user to see current feed. It would be helpful to be able to search for particular information in feed sent previously. Locating and linking to curriculum expectations in Edsby's Planner requires a fair amount of scrolling. I found this feature easier to use prior to August, 2019.

Roy from King's Christian Collegiate

Edsby covers all the bases of what you would want on an easy to use platform

This software merges all platforms a teacher could use into one, easy to use, succinct tool.

Pros

The all-in-one functionality of Edsby is most helpful. Grade book, attendance, announcements, calendar, parent and student records/communication, seating plans, library of course material and bulletins for overarching course goals.

Cons

The Library does not serve me. I have to reupload my course material every time I teach the course, even if I'm teaching the same course twice in the same semester. I have to delete auto-posted files from the feed that end up in the library otherwise it will become quickly over-run, confusing and ineffective as a communicative tool.

Response from Edsby

Replied September 2017

Roy, you should contact the Edsby prime at your school or our support team at support@edsby.com - you can INDEED re-copy class libraries, and any curriculum you've developed in Edsby, from class to class. No need to reinvent the wheel every time.

Kevin from King's Christian Collegiate

Edsby is the best platform for connecting students and parents to what is happening in classes!

Edsby is an excellent product, superior to any combination of communication-gradebook-class posting packages that are out there. There are many superb features - the gradebook, the report cards, the groups - and some areas where I know development is still working to improve - message facility, how to add clients easily, making Edsby more fun and whimsical for students. Overall, fantastic product that server our community well.

Pros

Gradebook Messages Posting of Class content for reference Parent accounts

Cons

Unexpected changes - I know they get announced to us, and this is part of development How cumbersome it can be for parents to create an account and link to their students The mobile apps need upgraded in view and performance

Dianne from Great Lakes Christian High School

Satisfied Edsby user.

As the Academic Administrative Assistant, I find that Edsby is a great office tool for communicating to parents, students and staff.

Pros

Teachers can take attendance and send it to the office easily. I like being able to send messages to students and parents.

Cons

It is hard to find a thread of conversation in messages and I am not able to forward a message to someone or add a person to the conversation thread. It is sometimes difficult to maneuver from student to student when comparing or updating information. The same for parents.

Scott from Smithville Christian High School

Very useful but still has bugs

Overall Edsby is the most useful grading and school communication platform I have ever seen.  I really like how it is constantly changing as education changes. The live support chat is also impressive. Perhaps it would be useful if Edsby put out a series of tutorial videos for Teachers, Parents and Students to go over the features.

Pros

Edsby is very handy for grading and communicating with teachers, students and parents. It is essentially a social media platform that has been designed for a school community. I really like how functional the grade book is and how students can see their grades in realtime. The messaging and search features are also excellent and help keep everyone up to speed.

Cons

There are some bugs in some of the newer features like quizzes and polls.

John from Quinte Christian High School

Great way to communicate with students and parents

Edsby has been wonderful to work with. When we have had questions, they have been quick to answer or solve them. The Edsby feedback on the site is a great way to communicate with them.

Pros

Edsby does an incredible job of making it easy to allow students and parents to see what is happening in class as access documents from class while away from school. It is a great place for teachers to be able to record grades, conversations and observations, which is required by the ministry. It is very user friendly and allows for most of the school needs to be in one place.

Cons

The grade book is wonderful to have, however many of my staff would love to be able to print out individual documents to share with parents or an easy way to print out the grade book.

claudia from Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board

I use Edsby every day and find it suits my needs as teacher.

Pros

It has everything in one: class lists, marking, calculating, parent communication, groups for student communication, at a glance information.

Cons

I kept may marks on Edsby and had a student move away out of province. His profile immediately disappeared. When there were questions and issues about his marks from the new school, I was unable to provide history. When I wrote for support, I received no response.

Response from Edsby

Replied September 2017

Sorry to hear of the poor experience you received from Edsby support. In the future, we invite you to contact us with questions like this directly from Edsby itself by clicking the question mark at the bottom right of any Edsby page (only teachers see this.) That's a direct hotline to our support staff. Hope we can make your next interaction with us a better one. Thanks for using Edsby!

Todd from Quinte Christian High School

Simplified the management of our school data from several programs to one; Edsby!

Pros

As the School IT Admin, Edsby takes care of many details that I do not have to. This frees me to deal with local on-site concerns. As a teacher, I absolutely love the Gradebook, the Classroom Journal, and the Library. These features allow me to have all of my materials in one place. I can go online just about anywhere and access my work. The journal also allows students to stay up-to-date if they are away, and they can have access to any work that was covered that day.

Cons

As a teacher, I really appreciate integration of student work and the Gradebook. Unfortunately, I have had too many experiences when students are unable to submit their work from their Google Drive.

Meredyth from Niagara Christian Collegiate

Mostly positive--I like being able to do my planning and documentation and gradebook in one place

Better communication with parents and students and more timely feedback. Helps me build a better portfolio on each student so I can look at the whole picture during reporting.

Pros

User friendly and intuitive. It's a great communication tool to connect with parents, too, as they can see feedback. I like that I can make observations about students and record anecdotal notes.

Cons

Uploading documents to attach to lesson plans rarely works--I often type a whole lesson and then when I try to attach resources it doesn't work and I have to eventually close and then my lesson isn't saved. I don't like that I can't print my lessons, either. I've asked several times for this to be an option.

Jennifer from Mulrennan Middle School

Does the job, could be better

Overall, Edsby is a decent product that managed all of the basics, but there is much that can be improved upon. It would behoove the developer to sit with an actively working teacher over time and see how the product is working and find the gaps that could be improved.

Pros

I like the ability to be able to copy an assignment to multiple classes rather than creating it multiple times. I also like the ability to create assignments student can complete online with auto grading. That is a huge time saver.

Cons

There were quite a few things that could be improved. The reporting of progress alerts was not the best and the presentation of a line graph as the first view for students as opposed to actually seeing the list of assessments with scores was always problematic. Many students never figure out to click on the next tab and never had a good grasp on their scores. Also, there were some features that were really handy that I NEVER knew about in 3 years of using this product, until all the e-learning took place and there became a sea of information to sort through. Although overall a decent product, I could continue...

Reasons for Switching to Edsby

My county made the change looking for a product that had a bit more of a social media style.

Response from Edsby

Replied July 2020

Thanks for the feedback, Jennifer. Glad you, like many teachers at SDHC, recently learned about other things Edsby can do beyond just report cards. Thanks for the suggestion of making the student "My Work" line graph not the default student view of assessments on browser logins. We're constantly receiving educator feedback and improving the product. Appreciate you taking the time.

Bianca from Hillsborough County Public Schools

Dear Edsby, I love you!

Pros

What I like most about Edsby is the ease of use for teachers and students. This year, I've been working to save time and money with limiting photocopies. By posting work on Edsby, the students can view the assignment without printing. The students can complete the assignments and submit it online without any additional system. This software works great and it is a great communication tool.

Cons

It is difficult to modify grades on a mobile device. In addition, I've request a gradebook filter so that teachers do not have to view the entire gradebook. It would be nice to have a filter for each grading period.

Frances from Gimli High School / Evergreen School Division

easy to use

Easily accessible information by teachers, students and parents.

Pros

The program is visual and easy to use. There is an APP so students have easy access to information AND less paper is required eg. homework handouts, timetables. etc. The parents can easily access their child's school information (attendance, marks, etc.)

Cons

One can't do a search within the posts in a group Information doesn't always sync correctly from our main database.

Response from Edsby

Replied September 2017

Frances, you can indeed search inside an Edsby group or class. Enter the group or class, and type what you're searching for in the box at the top of the page in the main nav bar. It will search through all the posts in that area first and then the rest of Edsby.

Candace from Hillsborough County School District

All in one

I have been using Edsby with my 3rd graders for 5 years now, and it keeps them engaged in learning, by allowing them to keep track of what they are doing in class at all times.

Pros

The best part about Edsby is all the amazing features it includes. You can store students grade and share them with students and parents, it's a means of collaboration space for the teacher, student, and parent to stay connected and up to date on student learning and progress. It also allows teachers to create test that can be assigned to students and the grade automatically populates in the grade book.

Cons

I have no complaints about this software it is awesome!!

Denise from Randall Middle School

Default Sort By First/Last Name

Over all I believe Edsby has a TON of wonderful features and could only be improved with some minor tweaks.

Pros

I like that I can change the Sort order of the students to sort the list by First Name instead of Last Name.

Cons

I don't like that I have to set the SORT order EVERY time I go into my student gradebook - it should be either defaulted to the last setting or let me set my preference globally and have it stay that setting. I also think if I set it to sort by First Name the list should show the names as First Last - instead even though I select to sort by First Name it displays the names in Last First order. :(

Marlene from Smithville Christian High School

Edsby helps our private school build community

In addition to being a very useful learning management tool, Edsby helps members of our school community keep in touch with one another and celebrate each other's successes. It has become the communication tool of choice for students, parents and teachers. There are some added features we would like to see, and we hope to partner with Edsby to make it even more functional. Edsby tech support is responsive to my teaching colleagues' questions, and Edsby has introduced innovations in response to their requests.

Pros

Cons

I would like a bit more flexibility to customize to meet a specific community need.

Worst LMS I have used

Very poor. If we were not required to use this for our school district we definitely would not

Pros

The ability to make online quizzes/tests that auto-grade and enter into the gradebook

Cons

Where to begin... I'm amazed that any LMS software does not have an import/export feature for it's test bank. I've had numerous times that multiple choice test questions had blank answers when the students took the test - although this should be 'impossible' since when MANUALLY typing in each question and answr choices, it will not let you save a blank answer. When cross-posting assignments, some propagate when edited and some do not. But nothing on the entry screen tells which ones. There is no way to enter in a test/quiz grade manually for students that require alternative testing methods - unless you change the online submission type to 'none' - which then deletes the info for all of the students that took the online test. and there are NO UNDO options. On many screens where an information bubble pops up - it remains there no matter what is clicked on and you have to reload the page to make it go away. For assignments with a letter grade - there is no option to give a ZERO - and a U does not calculate in as a zero. New pinned items go at the bottom when they should show at the top - or at least give an option without having to manually drag it. Anytime I have opened a ticket with support - I either get no answer, an answer that is later contradicted when I ask for more detail, or a "working as designed" with absolutely no offer to consider that ALL of our teachers would logistically prefer a feature to function differently

Adrianna from Foundations For The Future Charter Academy

I like that it's very similar to Facebook, a medium most people are familiar with.

Keeping parents informed quickly and easily. I try to post photos every day.

Pros

It's pretty easy to use. Similar layout to Facebook, which most parents are familiar with. Students can login pretty easily and get around.

Cons

Tech glitches: signing on via iphone app, parents being able to post replies to posts, parents getting personal messages sent, etc.

Response from Edsby

Replied September 2017

Thanks, Adrianna. Re: some of your probs, are you using the latest version of the Edsby apps? And did you know parents can participate in your classes and reply to posts if you let them? In the Edsby class setup form, under Class Options, the Parents pull-down menu includes an option to let parents "enter class and participate."

Excellent Communication Tool

When we made the switch to Edsby, our parents and students felt that they were more informed and better equipped for success in the classroom. Edsby has allowed students to have access to everything they need from their classes as well as being able to keep informed about what is happening in the groups they participate in at school. Parents have loved being able to know what is happening in their son or daughter's class, as well as being informed about how they are doing. The best software package for attendance, grading, and communicating on the market.

Pros

everything you need is in one software package live adjustments allowed on attendance instant communication with students and parents

Danielle from King's Christian Collegiate

Excellent way to communicate

Pros

I like that parents have the ability to be as involved as they want in what is happening at their child's school. It is easy to use, from an administrative perspective, and also from a parent perspective. Students have the ability to stay up to date on all their work, even if they are away. They are able to communicate with their teachers and the administrators of their school.

Jan from MSA

Teacher's Point of View Review

Very good. Simple way to communicate with staff and parents and it is a record of that communication that can be easily sought out and reviewed.

Pros

I like preparing exams on the site that can be graded automatically and sent to the grade book. I like that they can be timed or not. The fact that a teacher could build a huge library of tests that simply are dropped in to the right spot at the right time is very efficient.

Cons

There are a lot of steps and boxes to tick when using the exam bank capability.

Administrative decision.

John from Quinte Christian High School

Incredible way to efficiently communicate what is happening in the class with students and parents

Pros

Students can get assignments and information from the class. Parents can view when assignments and tests are due. Parents and students can follow their progression in the class, which prevents surprises at the end of the semester. Easy messaging system for staff, students and parents.

Cons

Sometimes students rely on the information on Edsby too much and don't take responsibility for their own keeping track of assignments. As an administrator, it seems like I can't get rid of old groups which then clutters the management page of groups

Carolyn from KPRDSB

Positive with some frustrations

Communication.

Pros

Communication with parents, students, and staff is easy. I use the calendar daily in order to make note of due dates and provide message reminders regularly. Having an outlet to post important documents is also highly valued.

Cons

Seeing student marks is challenging; the print versions are poor as printing marks are not visible and print templates lack space to write information. Viewing data could also be more user friendly. It would be nice for learning skills from Report 1 to remain in place for Report 2 as well.

Wendy from York Region District School Board

Edsby in school office

Pros

Accessing attendance electronically via Edsby, marking multiple students and creating planned absences has allowed me to be more efficient in my day to day.

Cons

The ability to reach our whole parent/guardian community. In the past we've had a blog that we've posted news and events to. Edsby does not allow us to format an email - bold/italics, insert graphics, tables, bullets, etc. If a parent/guardian has not subscribed to Edsby, we have no way of getting information to them. Ideally, we'd like to be a paperless school, but without having the option to reach our whole community, we're unable to do so.

Tomas from Crestwood Preparatory College

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Great tool to track student's learning

I think Edsby opens the communciation with students and parents, students can upload their own work, see teachers feedback and refelct on the feedback. all this process is esay to document and share.

Pros

I like the features that allow me and my students to communicate feedback and check progress of activiites. Students and I can record multimple evidences of learning and create conversations based on the evidence gathered.

Cons

Sometimes uploading times and response of server is slow.

Sharon from Hillsborough County Public Schools

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Makes it possible to manage your course and communicate with students and parents easily.

It would be nice to be able to send messages to selected groups of students within a class. Currently I can only post a message to the entire class on the home page, or send individual email messages to students or families.

Pros

Available online and as an app - very portable. Prompt customer support. Email notification when someone has sent a message.

Cons

Grade calculations are sometimes wonky, particularly at the beginning of the marking period. Messages are forwarded to email, but cannot be answered from there.

Mike from Linbrook School

Edsby has been wonderful at working with us & creating a customized platform that matches our needs

An online community for our school.

Pros

The ease of use and ability to create numerous pages and groups. In addition, the report card and assessment tracking system is all we could ask for. Finally, the privacy settings and ability to invite and block certain groups is seamless which is very important for a school

Cons

As many areas in education constantly evolve, so does the need for shifting the way we do things online. Edsby doesn't always have stock items already built into the software; so, occasionally we need to ask them to create it for us. However, they are always responsive and get this done in a timely manner

Eric from Toronto Prep School

Edsby LMS

Very positive. They are typically quick to respond to my requests and queries.

Pros

Edsby is a fantastic tool for educators. Unlike other Learning Management Systems (LMS), Edsby is easy to use and does a great job of integrating teachers, students, and parents into the ecosystem.

Cons

Sometimes Edsby pushes out incremental upgrades without warning and the results are often buggy.

Reasons for Switching to Edsby

Wikispaces went out of business.

Jay from Evergreen School Division

A great tool if you buy into it

Although there are always some kinks to work out Edsby is a useful tool for both educators and students, however, it needs a full adoption in order for the true benefits to take effect. I look forward to the continued improvements.

Pros

Helping kids organize their assignments and work schedules.

Cons

The app is in need of upgrades and certain glitches are left for too long at times making it difficult to sell people on.

Michael from Hillsborough County Public School

Edsby Gradebook Gets an A

I really like that the platform is available on desktop, tablet, and iOS/Android. I have had many parents tell me how easy it is to keep track of student grades.

Pros

I like that there were options for students to have digital assignments. I like the “poll” options. I like that it is easy to communicate with my students and other teachers.

Cons

I would have liked to make a way to transfer grades when a student transfers classes.