Browse MindTap Reviews

Jennie from NCR Corporation

MindTap by Cengage - Higher Education

Pros

The lab features, reading material capabilities and flashcards are great. This makes learning a new subject engaging and easy.

Cons

Labs have issues sometimes that have to be overridden by professors for grading.

VICTORIA from Exodus

Good software for both students and instructors

I have used these on both ends of the spectrum, as a student and instructor. The software is easy to use, has a small learning curve and is compact with all needed information and data for instructor and student. As a student, I found using the different activities to increase my memory of the material covered.

Pros

Mindtap offers a variety of activities for a student to be able to study and review material for a course. Activities vary from tradition flashcards to more engaging and creative tasks in order to review material.

Cons

Customer service and support can be slow to respond.

Christopher from Chattahoochee Technical College

Do not use Mindtap if at all possible.

Pros

There is literally nothing to like about this software.

Cons

The labs are constantly broken. The lab instructions are often incomplete, the virtual machines are very slow and need updates and are not maintained. This particular semester the labs are more broken than average. Average is pretty broken but usually the labs are able to be completed once you fight through the horrible lag and unmaintained virtual machines. This semester I am on module 4 and so far due to constant contact with tech support and many tickets getting escalated to the dev team, one single lab on the track has worked as intended. I have used many e learning systems and cengage is always the worst and most problem ridden. I start my work as early as possible because I know I will encounter either a broken lab or incomplete directions. They have a silly rule that they cannot simply provide you with the missing instructions. I start early so that maybe they can get it fixed before the due date comes around. My instructor has basically suspended due dates for this semester due to the labs being so horribly broken. The first lab that had a ticket due to missing instructions, they finally fixed it. Well the "new and improved" instructions still wont allow you to complete the lab. I am very careful about errors on my labs and copy and paste the required commands into the labs. DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. Unfortunately for me it is required for my course. I will intermediately drop any course that requires Cengage from here on out.

Abidul from Wayne State University

Great learning tool

One of the great only tool I used for academic performance.

Pros

I have used mind tap for my entire four years of university and still using. This is very useful online tool that helps student in academic advance. This services has varity of tools in it, starting from E-Book to online modules, online exam and assignment and online stimulation this software service offers all.

Cons

Did not have a single issue so far and been using their service since 2013

Cengage MindTap

Great product, excellent customer service/tech support.

Pros

Cengage is easy to setup and integrate with Blackboard Learn. The instructor can easily select the content they want for their course and make changes on the fly. Gradebook integration is (mostly) seamless. Perhaps the best feature of Cengage is their tech support/customer service. Our sales rep is very knowledgeable and is often our first point of contact when it comes to troubleshooting. Other Publisher Software companies will continuously "pass the buck" when it comes to tech support, but Cengage tech support takes ownership and works with you to find a solution.

Cons

MindTap can be a bit glitchy when using an older machine. Making sure your system is constantly up to date can help alleviate some of the issues.

A Good Homework Program

Pros

I love how they give questions integrated with the textbook as it makes learning the material so much easier. Moreover, I love how they give unlimited attempts for questions.

Cons

There are sometimes lots of bugs that will mess up answers, and there is a lack of customization.

Kheirallah from bowie state univeristy

Still not good

If you can choose between the services you can use I would not recommend Mindtap.

Pros

I did a review on MindTap before and I was indifferent about the program. I believed it was ok for what it offered.

Cons

However, after using it for another term I realize that compared to other software that does the same purposes I see that this is the worst educational software. there's just too much going on with the software and it slow compared to connect or blackboard.

Melany from James Madison University

Pros

I really like how easy it is to navigate through the different chapters and the Mastery activities are super helpful.

Cons

I feel like software and all of its tools are very helpful, however it has something of an overwhelming interface.

Devon from Metropolitan Community College

MindTap for Class Reading

Pros

The simplicity. Accessing E-books for school can be a frustrating process when repeated multiple times a week. With MindTap, our instructor included links to the relevant chapters every week online, so accessing it was extremely quick and easy.

Cons

Only being able to have on window open at a time. When assigned multiple chapters in one week, it's sometimes useful to be able to have them both up at the same time to study.

Hannah from Mississppi State

Industry: Broadcast Media

Needs A lot of Work For Students

I would prefer not to use it again, but if they were to improve foreign language assignment types I could be swayed.

Pros

I have a lot of trouble answering problems with this program. My teacher did not know how to change deadlines so the work never lined up with the curriculum. I liked the organization, but that is all.

Cons

For foreign languages, it can be hard to listen to a fluent speaker and be able to write word for word what they say, and that is a common assignment that is impossible to get correct. The answers have to be completely the same and the program's for any credit.

Michael from James Madison University

Industry: Civil Engineering

Reliable resource for students

Overall, Mindtap has been a grade saver for me and has gotten me through a few classes. I use it whenever I study for chemistry class and it's been a great experience.

Pros

Mindtap makes learning easier with its in-depth information on each concept and personalized quizzes. Their notes are easy to understand and they provide videos and cheat sheets which are really helpful when studying.

Cons

It's not free, but I would say it is worth its value.

Tim from Wayne

Bugs and horrible customer support

I have not seen many good things about Mindtap, I wish I could say something but I cannot. Please do not waste your money on this.

Pros

Since most of my classes use this, it definitely is worthy of some money, however, not $100 a year

Cons

The grading bot is very critical, I missed a question for being .01% off of what I was supposed to be. (Drawing a circle with Python). Customer support is rude and refuses to believe anything is wrong. If you present a problem to them, you will be met with "We don't offer homework help," This in itself is okay but when presented with a problem in the software you provide is having an issue, do not tell your customer that their problem sounds like homework help. They also blew off the customer in favor of the instructor, only listening to someone who does not pay you is a bad business practice. I had to sit on the phone for 30 minutes just to talk to a human.

Elena from US Lawns Miami

Multiple Digital Tools - Great Help

Pros

Mindtap offers complete package of e-book, note-taking tools, flash card tools, practice quizzes and exercise. It is helpful that you can access it from anywhere, since it's an online platform. It is also quite user friendly and makes grading easy.

Cons

The server is often down. Also it can be quite costly.

Yvonne from WTAMU

By far, best publisher content & usablity

Great product, good customer service, and makes my job in helping faculty easier. Cengage is my favorite publisher content to work with and I work with many publisher frequently.

Pros

I help faculty with adding test banks and other publisher content and MindTap is by far the best compare to other publishers. I have less problems when we have MindTap, and Cengage overall.

Cons

MindTap, unfortunately, is not available for every Cengage book out there. But is a life saver when it is. I hate dealing with other publisher content, I feel Cengage is much more user friendly and has better customer service.

Ellie from University of Nebraska-Lincoln

Great Customer Support

Great! You can see your grades, there are helpful videos throughout the readings, and useful reviews.

Pros

I accidentally bought the wrong access code, but after talking to Customer Support they were able to get me switched over to the right course with no extra fees. They really care about their customers and making sure they feel supported.

Cons

It's pretty expensive, but if you have multiple courses on it, buy the unlimited package because you'll end up saving a lot of money.

Doesn't feel worth the time

Pros

Great videos and supplemental resources for student understanding.

Cons

Difficult to navigate and organize as far as integrating with an online learning platform.

SIERA from Plastics

Industry: Individual & Family Services

School

Over all mind Tap is pretty awesome and I'd recommend it

Pros

I love using Mind Tap! It has the absolute best study tools. I've ever used! Keeps me going and can download my book

Cons

I didn't like that on mind tap out wouldn't except my access code or let me get in my class room either

Dana from Apple’s Chapel

Mind tap online learning

Mindtap has helped me a lot through online learning.

Pros

Mindtap is a sufficient way to online learn. It also offers many great activities for online learning.

Cons

This software is a pretty hard online source to configure. It takes a while to learn and is hard to find online.

Ethan from CCSU

Assignments are shoddy

Very frustrating.

Pros

It saved me money on buying text books for school.

Cons

The assignments (I take 2 assignments every week for class) have many errors. Every week i am emailing my professor to let him know of these mistakes and to gain some points back on "wrong" answers. Some of the questions and information in the assignments do not align with the book.

Charles from Houston Community College

I hate MindTap and so do my students

Pros

It grades assignments and exams automatically, so less work for me.

Cons

I have it and my students hate it. Editing info imported from Aplia can't be easily edited. Problem are not real life problems. Problems take a long time and can be unnecessarily confusing.

A paid service to help bring up your grades

Pros

It helped raise my grade from a C to a B They include easy access to e textbooks

Cons

The costs for a single semester is pretty high, about over a hundred