Schoology

Schoology Reviews

RATING:

• icon"What I liked most about this software is that it is perfect for flipped classroom lessons to have students view and access the material."
  • icon"It's easy to see student progress and grades. Using folders and all of the different content options, it is very easy to organize the content so that students can navigate it easily."
  • icon"I am taking online classes, which is super convenient for me, I am grateful for the software that allows me to do that."
  • icon"The only thing I find negative with this software is not able to communicate back to the web base designer."
  • icon"The only negative about this software is the fact it does not add higher education anymore. The has caused me not to use it as often as I use to."
  • icon"The cross over from our SMS to this program is not always smooth and is a bit frustrating at times."

All Schoology Reviews

Karee

Company size: 201 - 500 employees

It works, but better options out there.

Ronalen

October 2022

Amazing software for school learning management.

For overall I think this software is really excellent, it's very easy to use, very helpful for students and teachers although there are something lacking but the advantages of this software is really greater than that.

Pros

I like Schoology because it's very easy to use, it's a great software for managing courses, it's also very good because you don't need to download the app, you can access your account through online and it's really helpful for users, especially those who don't have large storage like me. It's also very good in terms of making assessment.

Cons

So far this software is really good, however I think it's missing something and that is a meeting classroom for online learning, the management should try to look into this and take consideration to make improvements.

Ahmet Fatih

A bit outdated maybe?

Had been much better at times, but better options make you deter and google for Google stuff.

Pros

My personal experience with this program is two fold. I experienced it as a master student and I also use it for my students. The thing is what you would expect from an LMS is obvious and Schoology has done it for a long time now. However, it is also obvious that it should be improved in terms of UI experience and assignment tracking.

Cons

Assignment tracking is a matter needing a solid solution. Even after they are due the students keep seeing the assignment as an upcoming one. Maybe a small glitch but annoying if you are to be motivated with your achievements as a student.

Kristin

Industry: Writing and Editing

December 2021

Overly complicated, not intuitive, fails to account for what parent and student users need most

I hated Schoology at St. Isidore and then when my kids went to high school and they purchased this product, I was dumbfounded as to why the administration wanted it. All the parents are confused. When the App shows me it has new messages/alerts, I open the app, and nothing in the app tells me what is the alert - no "unread" messages, I have NO Idea where to go, so I have to go fishing for it. I don't know what else the product does, but it fails miserably at meeting the key needs of my two children and my needs to oversee how they are doing. My children also do not like this product. They have even been using it for 3+ years. They are in high school now.

Pros

Nothing. Don't know why the administration purchased it. It was not worth the money. Most parents we know can't find anything in there and need multiple trainings.

Cons

Too many features, too many folders, trying to find anything on there is like looking for a needle in a haystack. iI is not intuitive at all - this company needs some apple developers on their staff. Fails to facilitate the most common uses for parents and students, with a focus on easy grade reporting and ease of accessing current assignments and the instructions from the teacher. I can't find anything in here. No parents I know like this software.

Reasons for switching to Schoology

not sure why the school did that... I heard something about potential security concerns. They were also using GoogleClassroom.

Karen

August 2022

Schoology: Use of folders is a pro, tests are time consuming is a con

I had a positive experience with Schoology. The integration of different tools, student motivation with badges, and the folder-creation ability make it a good choice for a school LMS. However, there are some functions that could be better. Making it more user-friendly for both teachers and students, and having functions like a missing assignment list could be considered to make Schoology a better product.

Pros

I found the folders setup to be very helpful so all content, assignments, and resources could be placed in the same folder. Sub-folders could also be added. Mimicking a computer storage system was helpful to many students. Next, the album feature was also very beneficial to display student work in a virtual environment. Also, badges can be given to students for positive reinforcement motivation. Finally, it was helpful to integrate tools such as Microsoft or Google products.

Cons

Due to having many folders, there is a lot of clicking for students to get to an assignment. Late assignments are marked missing and the teacher must manually make the correction. It would be helpful to see a list of missing work.

Faith

November 2022

Schoology is helpful for Modern Classrooms.

Pros

Schoology is very helpful for schools, especially now during the COVID pandemic. It helps keep educators and their respective students learning, updated, and notified during their classes.

Cons

I will say that the thing I like least about Schoology is the interface. It is very boring and uninteractive like say Google Classroom or Class Dojo.

Marie

Industry: Animation

Schoology

Pros

What I like most about Schoology is that it has different folders such as the grades folder and it shows the grades and what you're missing. It's also very easy for teachers and students in school.

Cons

Schoology logs me out of my account every 3 days which irritates me.

Cortney

Great LMS platform

Pros

User friendly for both teachers and students. Good place to store information for students.

Cons

It is time consuming to create assessments inside this platform. Needs more interactive features.

Reasons for switching to Schoology

Our county switched to a different LMS.

uğur

Vey perfect

It's help my works sufficiently so i like it.

Pros

I'm an university student and i give lessons to primary school,middle school and high school students as a tudor so i usually search new special education technics for my students.I found Schoology and understood to its methods very usefull,practice and effective.

Cons

Generally i like it but i think it should has more improving questions.

Reasons for switching to Schoology

It is %100 compatible with my jobs.

Tara

July 2022

Schoolology

Overall, I feel like this has worked for my son. It is a great way for him to do work both at home and at school.

Pros

I like that my son is able to get content from all of his courses and that it is a hybrid model. It took a little bit to adjust to it but we have figured out how to make it all work smoothly so that he can learn and get his work done.

Cons

I found it very hard to navigate through especially when using it on a phone. He had a lot of trouble locating certain folders that he needed.

Monica

Industry: Medical Devices

Schoology: Una plataforma muy amigable

Pros

Es de gran ayuda para compartir opiniones en los foros y ayudar en subir tareas

Cons

No es muy diverso en cuanto a sus herramientas

Anibal

Industry: Medical Devices

November 2022

Schoology: Plataforma para crear contenido educativo

Pros

Es sencillo, práctico y útil al momento de crear un curso o ser parte de ello. Tuve la oportunidad de ser ambos y la recomendaría para el uso en un curso que tenga que ver clases virtuales y mandar tareas y subir contenido informativo.

Cons

Siento que le falta instrucciones al momento de subir un libro o tarea ya que a veces no aparece y puede presentar un problema para usuarios.

March 2022

Wonderful Course Management Platform

My overall experience with Schoology has been fantastic, and I would definitely recommend it to other instructors who are willing to give it a try.

Pros

What I like most about Schoology is its ability to allow the instructor to compile all necessary course information into one easy-to-use online portal. Via this portal, I am able to create and post assignments, mark down due dates, grade the aforementioned assignments, among a plethora of other essential tasks, such as attendance tracking, progress report generation, and managing regrade requests. I am also able to communicate with students directly through the portal, which is great just in case the students want to keep their personal email addresses private. Lastly, customer service is very friendly, convenient, and helpful any time I need them, (which is infrequent, as the platform lives up to its expectations on a regular basis without any mishaps, which is fantastic, especially for efficiency's sake).

Cons

There is honestly very little that I dislike about Schoology, as it really does help me manage my classroom in an efficient manner, eliminating all of the hassle I was occasionally confronted with prior to my implementation of the platform, (the same applies to the students' perspectives on the matter, according to a mini-survey I provided them with). With all that being said, however, if I were to choose one aspect which could be further improved upon, it would be the performance of the app on both Apple and Android devices. I occasionally receive complaints from students pertaining to random crashes of the app, assignments not being able to be submitted, and various other technical issues. I must add that these issues are rare, but it would be nice if they could be eliminated in their entirety. Other than that, there is really not much else I can report as being a negative.

Reasons for choosing Schoology

I decided to choose Schoology over Gradescope due to having received positive reviews from other fellow instructors. I am happy I made the choice that I made.

Tara

Virtual Learning Made Easy

Overall, it's an inexpensive program that our district has adopted to use for virtual learning options. When the pandemic hit, students had to access their work through Schoology, and teachers had to use it to upload assignments. As a program, it is fairly simple to use. It takes a few tries at first, and then you get used to it. It has a wide range of options for uploading content including: documents, videos, YouTube and HTML links, and quizzes/tests.

Pros

Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to create quizzes using Google Forms and upload them into Schoology as an assignment. You can also directly create an assignment in Schoology itself which is pretty easy to do. I frequently create math tests on here, because it is so easy and has different options like multiple choice, sequencing, etc.

Cons

I had to take an initial training course to understand this software better. There are a few confusing buttons when creating an assignment - but after a few tries, you get used to it. (I would recommend watching some YouTube videos about how to use Schoology if you're interested in buying this software for your school. They have some very helpful ones on there.)

Reasons for choosing Schoology

It was more "official" than Google Classroom (free option).

Reasons for switching to Schoology

Our school purchased Schoology as an official virtual learning and gradebook platform.

Amy

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Excellent LMS with a variety of features

I love Schoology. The few times I needed support, the individuals I spoke with were amazing. The features and ease of Schoology outshines other Learning Management Systems on the market. Other than the couple of quirks I mentioned above, this is a product good for a wide range of ages and courses.

Pros

I have been using Schoology for approximately five years now and I find it to be the easiest LMS with the most features of all the other ones I’ve tried. It is so easy to organize in whatever way is most convenient for you and your course. It supports video uploads from multiple different kinds of sources whether be YouTube or Loom or Edpuzzle. Students love the use of badges where teachers can send “gold star” encouragement to students like “most improved” or other distinctions. Students can easily email their teachers through Schoology. Course updates allow for whole class communication. The pro list goes on and on.

Cons

The biggest con I have experienced occasionally rears its head when I try to sync Schoology to PowerSchool. I find that some assignments will not sync. Even after I go through all of the usual troubleshooting details such as having a due date or the assignment title being too long, nothing will get it to sync. This is not a huge problem maybe one assignment and 50. What is frustrating, is that when you go into the sync page the error listed doesn’t tell you what to look for us just simply says “failed the sync. Another frustration I have is when I want to unpublished material to students In Schoology that unpublished material is then unpublished in PowerSchool. Just because I want to on publish it in Schoology does it mean I want their grades in assignments to be unseen in PowerSchool.

Reasons for switching to Schoology

Schoology had more features and was easier to use.

Angela

All Systems in One Place

Schoology has been extremally useful to me as a teacher both during the pandemic and after. I appreciate the Schoology teams constant innovation and dedication to teachers and students. I look forward to using it again next year. Students and parents both find it easy to use and I have had positive results using the platform.

Pros

I love that I can login once and be able to access a variety of programs and software. The one user login is awesome! I like that I can send out messages to students either through the messenger feature or by placing an announcement in each class. I also like being able to go directly from one website (for example Newsela) to another (for example Nearpod) with in the platform itself. Set up classes is a breeze, and I appreciate how seamless Schoology has made it for teachers. The training I received from Schoology staff is also very good.

Cons

As with any LMS, there is a learning curve, but it ranks as one of the better LMSs in terms of easy of use. I would like to see Zoom integrated directly into each class, as an additional option.

Reasons for switching to Schoology

My district as a whole made the decision to switch to Schoology, because it utilizes more programs and options than Google Classroom. I did not make the decision, although I support it now.

Best LMS hands down!

I've built many project-based and blended learning courses within the Schoology LMS that have allowed me to revolutionize the traditional classroom. We saw huge increases in student accountability and achievement, and tracking student progress has never been so easy. We also use Schoology to take asynchronous remote attendance with just a few clicks of a button. I am extremely proud of what my school has been able to accomplish with this platform. The feedback and ideas I get from both students and teachers continues to inspire me to take learning to the next level using Schoology. Our new virtual classroom is more fun, interactive, and engaging than ever before!

Pros

Schoology is packed with features that let educators customize their courses and content to meet the specific learning needs of various populations of students. The user interface is fresh, simple, and easy to navigate. Many popular external applications are already integrated and available to use within the Schoology platform and sync effortlessly with the gradebook. For me personally, I really appreciate the way I can build customized, authentic, and engaging assessments from their wide assortment of question types. Schoology also has a badge rewards system where teachers can reward students for accomplishing certain tasks. Schoology simply is super customizable with a ton of features that other LMS don't offer.

Cons

As a user of many learning management systems over the past decade, there is no area where I feel Schoology is lacking in. It is the best for what it does.

Philip

A Full Service LMS Offers So Many More Options

We've been using for four years and they keep making it better! All of my course content is in Schoology and since I teach using the flipped classroom model, the switch to fully online learning in the spring was pretty much seamless for all my students with home internet access. I am also a Schoology Ambassador.

Pros

Our district uses Schoology as a district-wide Learning Management System (LMS). We switched to Schoology last year and I use Schoology for almost all of my course work. I teach using the flipped classroom model and Schoology's platform allows me to share my lecture videos, conduct assessments of student knowledge and understanding, give assignments, and to provide communication with students and parents. All of my content is available to my students through Schoology 24/7, I can make it available in a variety of ways, and I can make updates in real-time. Schoology's introduction of the Google Assignment App has me excited about our switch to Chromebooks. This app allows you to attach a Google Doc (say a study guide) as part of an assignment. When students open the assignment the document is copied, renamed, and added to their Google Drive. No more students opening or copying a new version of the document each time they go back to the assignment instead of to the copy they made but didn't actually rename as the directions stated. The document is 'tied' to the assignment and updates no matter where they work on it from (inside the assignment or through their Google Drive.) I also use the platform’s completion rules to give students autonomy while also keeping them on track. Another great option is the ability to add images to pages, updates, announcements, and folders to give visual information, help guide students, and give them access options. I also am able to hyperlink

Cons

While they've done a great job updating the product, however, I wish the pace of that was faster. For example, they introduced a new "Assessments" feature that was to eventually replace the "Test/Quiz" feature once it had all of the same options. While the question types in Assessments are nicer, it is two years later and it is still missing features of Test/Quiz including the ability to comment on individual student questions, auto-correction and rescoring if you made a mistake in setting up the correct answer in a question, and importantly, they still have not added a question test bank option for Assessments. Without the option to randomly pull questions from question banks I still use Test/Quiz for later end of unit assessments and semester exams.

Reasons for choosing Schoology

Canvas was too expensive and Hapara was essentially just a dashboard for Google Classroom at the time. Schoology had all of the features of Canvas for less (now it has more features) and having come from another LMS, we didn't was to use Google Classroom as it is not nearly robust enough.

My Big Campus stopped.

Schoology - Powerful, but User Friendly LMS

Schoology has been a game changer for us. As a district that previously used an open source alternative, we really took a risk by rolling out a new product that was not free. Teachers have really embraced the platform, which is allowing us to move toward a model where learning is individualized and focused on the needs of the learner.

Pros

Schoology feels like a social media platform. It's easy to use and makes sense when you're using it. It has a tremendous ability to be extended with integrations with Google, Microsoft, etc. and connects well with other learning platforms that are important in K-12 settings.

Cons

At the enterprise level, sometimes support the can be lackluster when dealing with things such as the synchronization between Schoology and PowerSchool. On the positive side, we anticipate with PowerSchool's purchase of Schoology that this might improve over time.

Reasons for switching to Schoology

We needed more robust features, including a better mobile experience, and the ability to collaborate with other professionals around the country.

Brian