Katana Manufacturing ERP Software Reviews

Find out more:

Recommendations

FrontRunners 2022

Find out more:

• icon"The Katana MRP interface is very easy to use and the steps are logical with help integrated into each section. The access to the knowledge base is good and the support team are efficient."
  • icon"I appreciate how much this software has helped me fix my inventory issues. I also love that when I have an issue that I do not know how to resolve, I can schedule a call and get live support."
  • icon"Zapier integration makes it really flexible from an automation standpoint. Really lots of other stuff ... it's truly an excellent product and an outlier in a pretty clunky space."
  • icon"I've encounter a lot of bugs that are quickly fixed, but interfere with projects and daily work. The margins and costs info is a little untrustworthy and hard to read when looking for errors."
  • icon"I'm missing one feature, but it's more due to the specific nature of my business."
  • icon"I wish there was a way to have a negative stock variant (a single product that represents a product subtraction rather than having to make a full copy of a product recipe minus that one single item)."

Browse all Katana Manufacturing ERP Reviews

• Have you used Katana Manufacturing ERP and would like to share your experience with others?

Joshua

Industry: Warehousing

The best for small manufacturing

Pros

KatanaMRP has really helped me know what to order, and when to order it, as well as plan what comes next in manufacturing. It even lets me add time to tasks in production so I can monetarily make sure employees are being efficient enough for my company to remain profitable. Definitely recommend. I wish I would have found them sooner.

Cons

Sometimes the app logs me out and I have to put the information in twice.

Reasons for switching to Katana Manufacturing ERP

ease of use and training of users

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the feedback and support!

Jared

Industry: Food Production

The MRP system I wish I'd always had

Katana's awesome, full stop. I've been working with manufacturing businesses for years, and for years I've lamented Xero's relatively weak inventory management system. Two years ago I tried literally every MRP app I could find to plugin to Xero; they were all pretty bad. Along comes Katana, which maybe was around earlier but was "new to me" just this year, and ... wow. Mostly, it Just Works. The Xero integration works seamlessly for bills and sales orders, which speeds AP/AR quite a bit. 90% of the tool's value is outside of Xero though, and I now have a permanently-pinned Katana tab in my browser for tracking everything in the production flow from raw materials purchasing, to production, to sale, to reconciliation of remaining materials and product stock. It's great. Is it perfect? Not quite. They need to do some performance work, as load times are often a little sluggish. Also, it would be nice to see finer-grained automation, and better contact syncing. But overall, I'm delighted.

Pros

- It's really easy to use - Makes it easy to track materials on hand, reorder, etc - Calculates margin including labor cost - Xero integration works perfectly - Zapier integration makes it really flexible from an automation standpoint - Really lots of other stuff ... it's truly an excellent product and an outlier in a pretty clunky space.

Cons

It can be a little slow, and the contact syncing could be more robust.

Reasons for choosing Katana Manufacturing ERP

It's easier to use, it's priced right, and it gives you what you need without a bunch of stuff you don't. Perfectly tailored for SMB/SME manufacturers.

February 2022

Promised so much delivered far short of what we hoped

Disappointed. They are pretending this software is the best thing since sliced bread and its more like a stale baguette.

Pros

It works on a basic level for stock management and also bills of materials.

Cons

It fails to have any sort of calender or gantt chart. It also fails terribly with time planning/recording of how long a task can take. For example you can't even put into the system that you start your working day at half past the hour only full hours are allowed. Further to the time planning side you can not block out time for holidays or meetings. Making this software useless to plan your time and give acreate lead times to customers.

Reasons for switching to Katana Manufacturing ERP

In the middle of the switch but it seams to offer far more options and cross capability.

Response from Katana MRP

Hi Daniel! Thank you for your honest feedback. We are continuously working on improving on the points of time planning and will be ready with better capabilities in the coming months already.

Replied March 2022

Jonathan

July 2022

A critical piece of our business that we can't live without

I love it. I've had great interactions with everyone on the team, and I can tell they want to help me succeed. Thanks Katana!

Pros

Great value, probably the only affordable cloud solution on the market

Cons

It's a great piece of software for data entry. Not so great when it comes to using that data to run your business. No dashboards or views that provide insights. They've solved for this by integrating with Easy-Insight and Stocktrim. Now that those are in place, I'm completely satisfied.

Reasons for switching to Katana Manufacturing ERP

I built my Airtable manufacturing workflow from scratch. I loved it, but it was costly to maintain...I just didn't have the time. Katana does everything for you.

Response from Katana Technologies

Thanks for your review Jonathan, happy to hear Katana saves you the time and effort compared to Airtable!

Replied August 2022

Rebecca

Intuitive, Fast To Implement, and Beautifully Designed

Pros

The user interface is clean and very intuitive, requiring essentially no time to learn. Some of the other MRP solutions we tried were difficult to navigate and use, and training on them would have been labor intensive and costly. Katana is beautifully designed, and the batch-tracking and inventory management is easy to adapt to our business (MRPeasy/ERPAG were very clearly not designed with food manufacturing in mind, so making them even remotely functional for that purpose felt like a bit of a fools errand, whereas Katana just works).

Cons

While it is very user-friendly and it has the ability to track batches/lots (which is critical for us), we've had to develop workarounds to make it function the way we need it to -- it doesn't quite handle this the way I would envision it should. There are also some minor time wasters. If there's one simple feature I wish they would change, it's being able to type in the expiration dates rather than having to scroll through the calendar manually to select the correct date. This becomes so onerous when receiving multiple items on a PO and having to manually click through/scroll through the calendar to select the correct date as opposed to simply having a field that allows you to type in the date and move on.

Reasons for choosing Katana Manufacturing ERP

Katana is a great small business solution that I can easily see growing with us. Fishbowl is cost-prohibitive (and honestly at this point, I'd rather just use Katana). MRPeasy and ERPAG are not as well designed and don't work well as a food industry solution -- they made simple tasks feel like running through a maze. The developers at Katana did a beautiful job of creating something intuitively designed that works well across multiple industries while also making it as clean and aesthetic as it is functional. It's a pleasure to use. I've noticed that they also seem to be regularly implementing improvements and updates, which is awesome. Customer support is friendly and responsive. Highly recommend.

Industry: Renewables & Environment

Most affordable MRP system for small manufacturers

Katana has been extremely responsive with receiving feedback on the product and working in product improvements based on that feedback. There have already been multiple issues I had with the product early on that they have reacted to feedback on and implemented changes. Great customer service.

Pros

I love the value. We were stuck using excel to manage our inventory for a long time because there were no affordable options until Katana came along. I am able to maintain accurate stock levels much more easily now.

Cons

There are a few minor inconveniences that are small time wasters. One example is not being able to shift/ctrl click multiple items and drag them around as a group when reorganizing priority rank of manufacturing orders. Since we have multilevel subassemblies I spend more time dragging around manufacturing orders to organize the order I want them completed in and I could save some time if I could drag items around as a group.

Reasons for switching to Katana Manufacturing ERP

We didn't have the time to invest in the amount of programming we would have had to do to make Excel have the level of functionality we needed to manage our inventory so we had a hard time keeping track of our stock, especially when we had to make changes to our bill of materials. The monthly cost of Katana easily offset the cost of time wasted trying to keep track of our inventory accurately in Excel.

Response from Katana MRP

Chris, thank you for sharing your experience with Katana!

Replied September 2019

Jocelyn

Industry: Cosmetics

The best app ever!

Pros

I love the simplicity of Katana and the ease of inventory management. This software has saved us so much time and offers way more than other products we looked into. For a small business with lots of moving parts and inventory to manage, Katana makes everything a breeze.

Cons

N/a, Katana meets and exceeds all our needs!

Reasons for choosing Katana Manufacturing ERP

Gave us everything that we needed.

Reasons for switching to Katana Manufacturing ERP

Zoho was consistently inaccurate and needed to to work with other Zoho products for full functionality.

Great Inventory Software

Knowing the real numbers of what I have in stock, what I need to order, how much it will cost me, and how much profit I will accrue is essential for making it to next year. In Katana, these figures are easy to find and keep up with. If I have a question, support is quick to respond and helpful. They are a great company to deal with!

Pros

The simple progression from Items to Buy, Make, and Stock to Sell makes it easy for me to maintain best practices in tracking my inventory. The flexibility in making stock adjustments made transitioning easy from confusions in my previous software into an ongoing accounting of what I have. Likewise, integrating with Shopify and Quicken was seamless.

Cons

A more complete inclusion of customer information from Shopify would be useful.

Reasons for switching to Katana Manufacturing ERP

Tired of difficulties with my integrations and I never did get all the numbers in place.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the support!

Clarke

Intuitive Software

Overall very positive experience so far. Software is intuitive and simple to look at which is good. Customer service is outstanding, had a session with [SENSITIVE CONTENT] which he suggested and he was very good - and has even followed up with us since.

Pros

The software is very intuitive, meaning everything is in a logical space. The flow between areas works well and we love the ability to be able to customise the quote templates now.

Cons

Haven't found anything as yet, had a few bugs but they mainly seem to be cache related.

Reasons for choosing Katana Manufacturing ERP

Looks pretty much ;-) Dashboard looks the best and it's so simple to use.

Reasons for switching to Katana Manufacturing ERP

MRPeasy worked exactly as designed and much of the functionality was the same as Katana - it was literally just the interface made no sense and we were struggling to find a flow that worked.

Lisa

Met our needs at beginning, as needs grew Katana team listened and added features

We maintain about 1500-2000 SKUS and all assemblers work at home. Some do different steps, returning work weekly and then having it distributed to the next person. Giving every MO an actual number has kept every bag of parts and supplies organized. We can track who has it, where it's at in the manufacturing process, etc. Even though we have used Katana since January, it's the last 3 months that it's really proven it's value to us. We do not use it for order fulfillment, just in-house manufacturing. But it's allowed us to prep for holiday season from July forward and stay completely organized and efficient. No more "where-did-it-go" or "how-many-have-we-prepped" frantic moments. We began the year knowing we needed a software that "fit" our company's size and our needs. Katana has proven invaluable for our company this year. We are currently doing our first complete inventory and we hope to add these numbers to Katana in 2020 and continue to improve our efficiency.

Pros

The ability to use Resources as a way to assign a specific person to each task so I can see who is working on what step of the manufacturing process and the allotted time they are provided for the task. This year we went from contract labor/paid-per-piece to employees/hourly-wage and Katana has made this a much smoother transition then it could have been. Having both "cost-per-piece" for assembly of items as well as "cost-per-minute" has given us the ability to compare former payment procedures with what to expect per hour from employees.

Cons

There are a variety of tasks that were unable to be done when we began using Katana in January 2019 but I am thrilled to say that most of them have been developed. The developers listen and are very attentive to requests, bug reports, and ideas and so despite the fact that some of the features were not available (exporting reports, importing recipes, bulk print MOs/pick lists, etc.) they have added these and the software continues to grow. The next feature I'd love to see is the ability to have a product photo attached to each product that prints out an image with the MO. Also, we have some items "on hold" (not sent to distribution center yet) and we use Resources to specify ONHOLD-BIN221 etc. to know the status of any particular SKU completed. We'd prefer not to use different locations, but rather have the ability to add a couple more "status" options. Either a misc or a custom. For now, everything on hold gets marked BLOCKED status and then the Resource is used to say it's on hold in whatever bin.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for very thorough feedback! Love to have you growing with us!

Replied February 2020

Klaus

Industry: Machinery

First Impression KATANA - perfect fit for smaller companies which do not need a complex ERP-system

For our requirements, set-up and company size the best we could find and test! We will manage inventory/warehouse with 5000+ items, handle products with ingredients & operations, edit quotes, generate sales orders and mark received orders as shipped for automated invoice generation in Quickbooks. The cloud-based concept and the reduced complexity combined with an intuitivbe operatzion makes this SW easy to install and to work with if you have a team in different geographic locatioopns (as we have). Set-up of KATANA is absolutely simple, mostl yself-explanatory and can be done by any "power-user" without need of (expensive) external ERP-consultants.

Pros

Handling of inventory, items, products, ingredients, sales orders - all this is handled in a very efficient, clear and easy to use way. Makes the difference compared to many alternative MRP-/ERP-systems. Connector to QuickBooks with automatic trigger for invoices in QB once the products are marked as shipped in KATANA. Connector to Shopify for on-line sale of spare parts. 100% helpful and open minded customer service - very helpful in helping to understand all features and finding the best workflow for specific situations.

Cons

There are some functions/features which need improvement, e.g. the customization of documents such as Quotations so every company can generate a set of individual template to serve different areas (machines, spare parts, service,..). 3-5 custom fields for Quotes/Sales Orders/Products would be helpful. Althoug KATANA is intended to be a MRP-system it would be helpful to integrate SERVICE-articles (not only MAKE or BUY articles). This would allow to add a possible service portion to a spare parts quote. Dedicated Delivery Notes (with partial shipments) would be a great feature.

Reasons for choosing Katana Manufacturing ERP

Simplicity with at the same time well covered basic features, ease of use, intuitive, cloud-based.

Reasons for switching to Katana Manufacturing ERP

Due to a downsizing in manufacturing we decided to look for a faster, more flexible, less complicated MRP-system which is cloud-based and would have good and propven interfaces to a standard accounting SW and to an on-line shop (spare parts).

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you! Glad you are getting value out of Katana.

Replied December 2020

ELLOWYN

Great choice for small manufacturer

I tried several different MRPs before settling with Katana. Some were too clunky, others too expensive, complicated and elaborate. I felt a bit like Goldilocks. Katana was just right. Reasonably priced. Integrating with Quickbooks and Shopify was simple and efficient. The set up was fast. I no longer have to duplicate data entry onto multiple systems. This saves me times and I don't lose track of orders or inventory. I especially like the instant chat feature with their customer service reps. I can leave a quick message or screenshot of a problem and within a day or so, I have a response back and my problem resolved. No need to hire an expensive consultant, anyone could set up Katana and run it.

Pros

Very simple user-interface Was able to set it up quickly and efficiently Continual feature upgrades Simple integration with Shopify & QuickBooks Very responsive customer service Detailed, but not overwhelming

Cons

The upload from Excel was clunky and not helpful. It was faster to just enter in the data directly. There are features I look forward to having but that are not currently available. I know their team will be releasing them in the next year.

Reasons for choosing Katana Manufacturing ERP

Erpag was about the same price at the time and had a few extra features that I liked (barcode integration for example), but the user interface was just really clunky. It reminded me a lot of my days in 90's Windows. Lots of tabs and block colors. When I added a demo set of data in, it didn't seem too difficult to use, but it just wasn't intuitive to me.

Reasons for switching to Katana Manufacturing ERP

Odoo is a beautiful all-in-one platform that seemed to be the perfect solution to tying my entire business together. However, it doesn't "play" well with Shopify and social media platforms which both are essential to my business. Any customization requires an extra fee each month plus the cost of the custom 3rd party app. Set up was complicated and when I needed help, I was pressed to pay $10k for a customer service package. For a small business, that's a lot to shell out. If I were a large company and could pay to have it all set up and administered correctly, I'm sure Odoo would be an excellent choice. But for a one-woman show, it was just too much to juggle.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the feedback!

Replied September 2019

Denis

Industry: Printing

Best MRP/inventory manager for small business

Overall, I'm very happy with Katana. Even though I run a small business and the price is relatively high for me, it's still well worth it. Adding new orders is quick and simple, but more importantly, I can instantly see if I have all the required resources at hand. Even if I have a few dozen pending orders, their coloured chart makes it so easy to quickly see if there are any issues.

Pros

Very easy to use without cluttered interface. This was my biggest selling point when comparing Katana to other similar products. Everything is so well organised and easy to glance over, while still offering nearly everything that I need for myself. I also like that any changes in the inventory are immediately reflected in open orders. This is true for everything that I've used so far; as soon as I make a change in one area, it instantly reflects in all others as well.

Cons

I'm missing one feature, but it's more due to the specific nature of my business. It would be great if I could organize my inventory not just by total combined weight, but broken down into individual units as well. For example, if my order requires 500g of plastic in one piece, but I have two separate pieces of 250g each, Katana will show that I have enough resources, even though I can't fill my order since I need one unbroken piece. I've already got in touch with their support about this and they've said my request was put on their wish list, so I'm fairly confident it will eventually get implemented.

Reasons for choosing Katana Manufacturing ERP

I've tried out about 5 different systems before deciding for Katana. The main reason why I went with Katana (even though some other products were cheaper) was because of how elegant and easy to use their interface is. There aren't a ton of spreadsheets or lots of sub-pages that you get lost it.

Reasons for switching to Katana Manufacturing ERP

It was too much of a hassle trying to keep everything synced by hand.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for choosing Katana!

Replied January 2021

Brandon

Industry: Consumer Electronics

Perfect for where we're at right now

We chose Katana after trying out a couple different MRP's which were either overly complex, over-priced, or didn't fit our needs. We've stuck with Katana based on it's ease-of-use, intuitive design, and delivery of everything we need it to do.

Pros

It's great to be able to log in on any computer without having to install software, and it's done an amazing job of keeping our inventory tidy and up-to-date. The Purchase Order generator has also made us look very professional to our suppliers. The integration with Shopify is also a huge plus to us as it prevents us from having to manually transfer Shopify orders and automatically removes all parts from the BOM from our inventory. Highly recommended!

Cons

There aren't many, if any things we've come up against yet that Katana didn't support.

Reasons for choosing Katana Manufacturing ERP

We tried the 14-day trial of Katana while still paying for Odoo and were able to get everything set up in the time it took to solve a single problem with Odoo. We immediately made the switch after that.

Reasons for switching to Katana Manufacturing ERP

Odoo's a-la-carte style product offering put it into a very expensive category for us. At that time, they were still in Beta and getting everything working took numerous support tickets which were not always responded to rapidly. In the end it became a big, expensive headache.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the feedback!

Replied February 2020

Rowena

Industry: Furniture

Does everything it says it will

Like Xero, it's simple but powerful - what's not to like about that?! The support is friendly and helpful (despite only being available online) and the training videos are really well presented and easy to follow. A really good software implementation experience.

Pros

That may not sound very exciting, but in my experience, it's not always a given that getting the features to work is straightforward. But Katana really is both powerful and yet pretty straightforward, although just BECAUSE it has a lot of facility, I would recommend the investment of a little time in watching some of the training videos, which are excellent. Once I'd done that, it was full steam ahead and everything fell beautifully into place. The integration with Xero was completely straightforward and works like a charm. I know that as we go forward and get more and more information into the system it will provide even more, very valuable information for us.

Cons

I have only a couple of really minor niggles; I would prefer to be able to enter dates, rather than having to always pick them off a calendar (for someone who types fast, this slows me down). I'd also like it if when you are "making" a product, if all the components of that product's sub-assembly are available, the software would just go on down the line and automatically make right down to the lowest assembly level. But as I said, these are really minor and would not stop me from wholeheartedly recommending Katana.

Reasons for choosing Katana Manufacturing ERP

There were no other Xero-compatible applications which had anything like the positivity of reviews and feedback that Katana does. There's no better gauge of a product than the experiences of those who use it.

Reasons for switching to Katana Manufacturing ERP

We switch our accounting system (which previously had manufacturing integrated into it) because we wanted to move to Xero. We then searched for Xero-compatible manufacturing control software, found Katana and saw that it had really great reviews. A look at the demo software and we were sold!

Elle

Cannot recommend this app enough

Honestly has changed my life for the better. I'm no longer running out of supplies and having to do emergency orders (hello, extra shipping fees!). This keeps me organized and helps me to better my time management. I can see every open order that I need to fulfill and planning out supply orders is a breeze. I've recommended this app to every other maker I know because I am that in love with it. I'll use this app for the rest of my life because it is the best thing that's happened to my business in a long time.

Pros

This software legitimately changed the way my business runs. It keeps me accountable for the hundreds of supplies I use on a daily basis and keeps me organized in a way that no lists, or other apps, ever have.

Cons

I can honestly say nothing, this app works so seamlessly and wonderfully. Maybe the load speeds can be a little laggy, but that's mostly because I have a lot of materials I've input. Definitely not an app downfall or issue at all.

Reasons for choosing Katana Manufacturing ERP

I couldn't find a single other product that did what Katana does. It integrates seamlessly with Shopify and being able to input and track recipes is what I needed most.

Reasons for switching to Katana Manufacturing ERP

It was just a functional list of all the things I needed to keep track of, it wasn't actually helping my business. Katana keeps track of every gram of every material I need and with an inventory like mine, that's incredibly helpful.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the support!