Browse My Music Staff Reviews

Matthew from The Rock Underground Music School

Industry: Music

Couldn't run my music school without it

Pros

It is extremely simple and easy to use. I only use the Students, Family and Calendar portions of it, and it serves well beyond what I need it for. So easy to view schedule and filter and organize it based on location, teacher, student, etc. i LOVE , as do the parents, the 24-hour in advance automatic reminders auto-texted or e-mailed (your choice).

Cons

Besides a couple of very minor workflow impedances, it would be nice to integrate the calendar with an existing website, rather than only having the option to do so with the current website.

Reasons for Choosing My Music Staff

Jackrabbit just didn't seem to fit as well as MyMusicStaff

Reasons for Switching to My Music Staff

Google Sheets became too cumbersome as our school grow, and I wanted something that the families/students could also access directly

Caitlin from Sounds of Carolina

The Best Software on the Market

Excellent. I recommend them to all my friends who are also music teachers.

Pros

Honestly, there are too many to list. Here are a few: the automation features in invoicing and scheduling save me hours of work, I love that I can have multiple teachers on a single account, I love the student portal and practice log feature.

Cons

Any time I’ve felt that something could be improved upon I’ve written to the company and they’ve been very helpful every time.

Reasons for Switching to My Music Staff

I needed a software that could handle multiple teachers and I made the switch about 5 years ago.

Kate from The Bardic Academy

A Wonderful Company and A Game Changing Service

I'm also deeply impressed with the customer service. The team has helped me more than once to solve problems I made myself, and they've done so with courtesy and speed. I'm grateful to them!

Pros

My Music Staff was recommended to me by a fellow music teacher as a way to tame the chaos of running a music teaching business with separate billing, scheduling, and student management systems. Boy, was she ever right! Using MMS has upgraded my business dramatically and saved me so much time and energy. Students now access their Zoom links easily from within the student portal. Bills go out automatically and are paid without fuss (and parents prefer the automatic billing, too). I also love that I can build a library of online resources for my students and refer them to it rather than needing to send the same music and songs over and over again. Honestly, using MMS has been a total game-changer for me and I'd recommend it to any music teacher with 100% enthusiasm.

Cons

It does take some time to learn the system and to input all of your students' info - but it's worth it.

Laurice from Westport Art & Music School

Industry: Music

Overall it has been good. Customer Service is quite quick once you get matched with a member. The Support centre and Pinterest links and How-To's are done very well. Not the mention the lovely additional bits like Social Media Calendar and worksheets for the kids is so lovely! And helpful! I really like using it every day personally and so do my Staff. But my students, not so much. It's only easy to use when you are using it for a couple hours a day like me, otherwise its a total mind field

Pros

I like the amount of customisation. The calendar Sync. The website functionality and the Families & Invoicing section.

Cons

It is not user friendly for the public. It is far too complicated for my business. For example if someone wants to sign up for a course they have to go through Student Portals. Log In. Emails. Setting it up. Saving it to the Homepage. Then they cant pay immediately they have to wait for an invoice and then log in again and finally enter their bank details. I am im discussions of discontinuing with this software. While it has great benefits for Admin it really is too complicated for the public and inviting new customers in. Therefore it is not for us in the long term.

Irma from Joyner’s School of Music

My Music Staff review first year

I definitely have been having a great experience with My Music Staff. Especially their actual staff members. I spoke with [SENSITIVE CONTENT] recently and she did a phenomenal job at helping me fix my accounting issues and invoicing issues. She was very easy to talk to you she listened to my concerns and questions that I had and took time to teach me how to fix my accounting problems. I had several students accounts that had it inputs put in the wrong way for discounts etc. and she was able to quickly spot what the problems were as well as allow me the time to fix them and explain why not to do what I did before and how to properly and put the information I need to moving forward and why. I told her I think it would be nice if My Music Staff will give her a bonus to make videos on how to create invoices and teaching users how to utilize accounting and how all of the features work together to help balance out the accounting page and create invoices all of the ends and outs! She would be great at that as well!

Pros

It’s really kind of hard to pinpoint what specifically I like because there’s a lot of features that I do like such as being able to schedule, pull reports, upload videos for our students, upload link sent of the learning material for our students, payroll etc

Cons

I don’t like that I’m not able to use PayPal and stripe at the same time to except payments. I do have parents who like to pay through PayPal as well but I have to utilize a different source to receive those payments because only stripe or PayPal can be used one at a time. I wish that it was also a lot easier to understand how to utilize the invoice an account features. I have gotten pretty confused and had to call in and ask questions several times in order to really get the hang of it. It can be a bit confusing without that additional coaching to understand how to bill clients. I’ve had moments where my numbers were off because I gave an additional discount or I build them incorrectly and didn’t understand how I did it or why.

Reasons for Choosing My Music Staff

I love the fact that I can control my accounting invoices and payments through this program! Even though I have my own website I also love the fact that I have the option to create my own website to My Music Staff as well!

Response from Port 443

Replied October 2021

Hi Irma, thanks for a great review! We actually do have a number of tutorial videos already, including ones that go over various parts of invoicing. We also have a Getting Started Guide on our website that goes over how all of the features work together :)

A Must-Have

Overall, MMS has made organization, scheduling, and communication with studio families easier!

Pros

This is an all-in-one platform for running your music studio! Before finding My Music Staff, I was using 3 different spreadsheets, 2 paper notebooks, a phone to-do list, and a paper planner to run my business. MMS consolidated this down to one affordable program that is customized to the needs of a music teacher. I love it!

Cons

I do occasionally encounter technological issues, or notice that there is a task I would like to achieve that I do not know how to accomplish. When this happens, the answer is not always intuitive. (For perspective, I am of the millennial generation, and consider myself technologically savvy enough to independently learn most computer programs oriented for the workplace).

Reasons for Switching to My Music Staff

I learned that MMS was made for music teachers just like me!

Benjamin from Studio Noir

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Perfect

It helps me organize and keep track of all our data, works in real time, I'm often updating schedules and payments, and the program responds well.

Pros

This software predicts what I might need and I'm able to utilize more functions compared to previous programs our company has subscribed to.

Cons

I don't have any problems.. maybe not charging to add more teachers.. I am constantly trying to find staff and people come and go

none

Reasons for Switching to My Music Staff

couldn't schedule a 12pm lesson, asked them to update, never did. many more tech flaws

Michael from Joyful Sounds Music Studio

A Powerful Tool

My Music Staff has helped us maintain close contact between teachers and students through the lesson notes feature, and it helps students report their practice times so we can reward those who work hard!

Pros

Scheduling, Attendance, Make-up lesson calendar

Cons

The make-up credit system doesn't allow us to make use of all our available teachers.

Michele from Let's play music

Best Music Studio Business Platform

I live this software. The mymusicstaff team are quick to respond to my problems and the program works great!

Pros

I love that it organized all information for me. I especial love that I can look quickly and see who I am teaching each day. I use the bookkeeping aspect even more. I input my receipts for taxes and my income. It is easy for me to see how much I am making.

Cons

They had been a little education in how to use the software. That has taken my a little time, but it has been easy to get help through a Google search or their staff.

Jaime from Freelancer

My music staff

Pros

It is easy to use and very accessible...

Cons

Sometimes the program crashes and creates an inconvenience

Nicole from Amoroso Music

Communication and Organisation

This software definitely has 'bang for buck'. All of the things teachers are able to do through this platform certainly impress me. I started teaching 40 years ago and everything was done in hardcopy by hand. Wow, what a difference. What has impressed me the most, and continues to impress me, is your customer support. My questions are answered quickly and always with courtesy too. I feel like I am dealing with real people who care about my ability to use their product with as much ease as possible. It is an absolute pleasure doing business with you.

Pros

There are quite a few things I like about MMS. The first is communication with my students. Being able to create lesson notes each week, schedule lessons on the calendar and do invoicing through the platform helps me to keep things organised. I also I like that it allows me to invoice my students and keep track of their payments easily. The library is very helpful. Now I don't lose things I loan out anymore and students (I believe) are notified when they have something that need to be returned.

Cons

I am not very happy with my website and wish there was more support on how to do this well. Being a sole proprietor I cannot afford to hire someone to do this and it isn't very intuitive (although better than many others I looked at, especially when you consider what you get with the package). More videos that give direction, suggest and examples of this would be helpful. Maybe reach out to some of the teacher who have created exception sites and ask them to share their secrets. We're teachers, we can't help ourselves. : ) It is a little thing, however; buttons for social media (like Facebook, Instagram Linkedin, etc) would be really nice on the site as well.

Reasons for Choosing My Music Staff

The main reason was how quickly you responded to any questions I had and the enthusiasm you showed in your answers. You never made me feel like I was bothering you and none of the replies felt like an automated response.

Anamarie from Keys To Success Music Studio

Industry: Music

It's great once you get to know it

For a relatively low cost, this software is helping me grow and define my business. The company was extremely responsive when the pandemic hit and new features were unveiled quickly. I am able to run my appointments just as easily from zoom as face to face using the software tools they provided. Overall, I would recommend this product as a great tool for a studio.

Pros

It makes scheduling and keeping track of payments a breeze. Everything is all in one place and generating reports is also simple. For the most part, it does more than I had expected/hoped.

Cons

For people who prefer having support via the phone, this is not a good option. There are many times that I wish I could just dial a number to get an answer. That being said, they respond quickly via email. There is also a learning curve with this software that might be a barrier to some.

Reasons for Choosing My Music Staff

I liked the integration of materials and it seemed like it had more features

Reasons for Switching to My Music Staff

I was intrigued that there might be a more holistic solution to my business needs.

Response from Port 443

Replied May 2020

Hi Anamarie. Thank you for the lovely review. I do just want to point out that we do have phone support as well! You can reach our team toll-free at 1-888-732-6134 :)

Kristin from Kristin Wilson Piano

2 months in- loving it!

The customer service is exceptional. It's really like having a 'staff.' Responses are prompt and answer the question asked, usually along with additional suggestions. The staff checks in about once a month to see if you need help with anything. They are great at anticipating what you might need. For example, during the Corona shutdown they were quick to get online teaching platforms integrated with their scheduling program. They went above and beyond by offering tutorials about getting started teaching online for those of us who had never done it before.

Pros

I have been using My Music Staff for a couple of months now. My favorite feature is the auto billing from the calendar. Students can change times or cancel lessons themselves which eliminates a lot of the administrative work. I love that I can email students or parents or both seamlessly. I use the online resources feature to upload audio or video customized for each student. It's easy to email notes to parents or students and also maintain private notes for myself. I also like that there is an easy check box for when students pay at the lesson. Just check the box, no need to enter a payment. I like the setting that a cancelled lesson automatically creates an open 'makeup' spot in my schedule that ask students can see and claim.

Cons

I offer tiered pricing for families. So the first student in a family is full priced, the 2nd is discounted, and the 3rd is more discounted than the 2nd. There isn't a good way to do that on this site. I can assign different prices per student, but if the 'first' child in the family cancels, but child 2 and 3 still do lessons, I have to manually adjust the price. I also don't like that the invoicing shows a balance owed all month long, although it does adjust as needed. For example, my students pay at the end of the month. But on the first of the month, it shows that they owe for the full month. They won't get an invoice until the end of the month, But if they (or I) check their account before then, I would prefer to see a current balance for lessons taken, not lessons taken and scheduled.

Reasons for Switching to My Music Staff

No other site that I tried supported both the teaching applications that I wanted and the administrative side as well. My Music Staff is easier and cheaper than the others I tried.

Julia from Desert Home Music

A great All-In-One Business Manager and Scheduler

The scheduling alone and automated charges and billing are amazing - so much easier to keep track of everything. I'm also loving the additional features and ease of communication to students and parents from one place. The improvements they've made over the past 2 years (most especially becoming more friendly to syncing to Google Calendar) have been unobtrusive and are generally making the software easier to use - and all at a reasonable cost!

Pros

First of all, the price is fantastic for a small business - you pay per teacher you're managing and the base subscription price is outstanding! Any equivalent scheduling software charges as though you are a large company and was many times the price for just me and my partner! The scheduling interface is easy and pretty intuitive, and I love that I can opt to allow people to change their own times (but only to a time that I've already set aside for teaching). I continue to have control over the times and days that I teach, and I have to deal with fewer make up lesson headaches! I've only started using some of the other functions this school year (file sharing, practice tracking, sending notes to parents/students, etc) so only a few months, but so far it's working really well and I love being able to contact the parents with concerns or suggestions when the child is not present.

Cons

1. Most of my students pay on an automated monthly tuition model, and I would love to be able to set the month beginning/end dates for something other than the 1st. (mid month starts, 2nd pay period, etc) 2. While it is great to be able to message parents with notes, notifications of uploads, etc, it would be great if there were a way to group all those messages together instead of spamming them the day after the lesson. 3. Sometimes changes I make from my mobile device don't save properly (attendance is bad for this)

Reasons for Choosing My Music Staff

Initially, cost, to be honest... but I'm really happy with my choice!

Isaac from Ace Music

An extremely high value product

My Music Staff has become indispensible and almost makes life a breeze. Accounts, invoicing and lesson management, notes and plenty more are brilliant. If they can upgrade some and smooth a couple of other areas I'd gladly pay more.

Pros

After trying a number of other systems which felt like a real pain, I must say I can't find a system anywhere near as good for even double the price. There's a learning curve but it's really nothing like many others out there. TOP PROS: - Invoice for a period for all students in one hit and then email in one more. - Calendar view is powerful: attendance, great filtering by student/teacher/and many more - Setting up lessons is a breeze with conflicts detected automatically (although I wish it picked it up conflicts before pressing save, saving me a click-and-loading cycle) - Love the ability to clone days, run indefinite recurring group lessons with blocked out dates - Account management is brilliant too with a running list of billables and balance at any particular date - Sign up form is embeddable - SMS support mostly great - Notifiations to clients are great

Cons

SMS INTEGRATION IS PATCHY - Fantastic for e.g. deleting a day. Except to send SMS messages needs to be activated in each profile manually which is slow - can't be turned on by default either - If the student doesn't have SMS turned on they don't get sent - Deleting lessons obscures the account: there is no longer record of that lesson even if it was previously included on an upfront invoice. - Marking a teacher absent is ideal EXCEPT there is no option to SMS all students without activating the feature in each individual profile first. NO SECOND FORM Other than the signup form - you need another service to handle this LEAD MANAGEMENT - No real (even simple) LMS, need another system. hello double handling data - Can classify as "lead" but then they can't book an open lesson. They need to be "Active" to do that, which is confusing because then they're "current students" which they aren't. It would be nice if leads could be added to lessons, then be automatically converted (semi-workaround via Student view sorting) INVOICES - need more templates & automation for outstanding, reminder before due, overdue, overdue 7/14 days - XERO integration please! NO STOCK MANAGEMENT - No stocking books to smooth the process. To sell, a manual entry for every book sold is required. No prefill or stock - I've stopped selling books because of this ATTENDANCE - For group lessons needs optimising too many features has bloated the process & created too many loading panes

Response from Port 443

Replied November 2018

Hey Isaac! So glad to hear you've been enjoying My Music Staff. We've recently added the "¿Trial Student¿ status. A trialing student is functionally the same as an Active student but provides a way to segment your student list so you can easily identify which students haven¿t yet committed to lessons for the long term. You'll want to use this status rather than "Lead". This will allow you to schedule the students on the calendar. Parents and students do need to opt-in to receive SMS messages. This is to help studios comply with SMS marketing laws. This is why it's not enabled by default. We do agree that after receiving permission, you should be able to enable the feature in bulk so we've added this item to our to-do list. Thanks again for the great review!

Kandice from The Kitchener Academy of Music

My Music Staff - I couldn't have done it without you!

My Music Staff has changed my home studio into a professional, online, organised, updated Music Academy! Not only has it totally managed my scheduling and scheduling for my teachers but it tracks expenses and income for tax purposes with official Tax Credit receipts that I can send from my phone! It made tax time a breeze! This software let's me seamlessly invoice books and lessons, while keeping track of missed payments with auto-invoicing and also generating professional receipts with a thank you. Parents and older students are able to cancel and reschedule lessons at their leisure (according to my policies) and re-book a time that is more convenient for them - resulting in almost no empty spots and more money in my pocket! They can also see their lesson notes and record their practice time to hold them accountable and for me to be able to peak at as well! This has resulted in more practice = better results= happier students = happier parents = referrals = home studio to Music Academy = (more $ !!!) One of my favourite features of My Music Staff is being able to upload recordings of my students for the parents and families to enjoy. No more time consuming CD's that no one can play anymore anyway. Now, they just download and have it right on their phone or PC (see "happier students = happier parents...etc.) Thank you My Music Staff for helping me to grow my business by being so organised and so very, very productive in the background! I couldn't have done it without you!

Pros

How can I possibly choose just one thing? Before My Music Staff, keeping track of missed lessons was next to impossible. I had separate notebooks and online files and word docs for attendance, lesson notes, expenses, payments for books and payments for lessons - now it's all together - neat and tidy, organised and at my fingertips (and my teachers') at the studio, at home and on the go! And that's just the beginning...

Cons

I do wish My Music Staff was setup to take Electronic Funds Transfers in Canada - as that is a new form of payment I am implementing in my school. I also would like to be able to add my business logo as a header for emails with an automatic signature. I realise I can use placeholders to do this job but it is a little laborious when you're in a rush.

Kate from Kate Janssen Piano Studio

Industry: Music

My assistant for my studio

My experience has been great! I can't attest to the customer service as I've never had to use it! But that says something, doesn't it?

Pros

I really like how this software program allows me to stay organized and gives me a very professional look with my clients. From invoices to curriculum to client information to the dreaded year end taxes, I am able to keep detailed information and have it right at my finger tips when needed. My personal studio has 40 students with 26 different families to account to and communicate with. I use My Music Staff to set up a structured personal invoice system for each family, keep track of all lessons (attended or unattended), list all curriculum items each student is working on plus all festival and competition participation and results, any loaned music books I've given each student, and keep detailed notes on how each student is progressing. My Music Staff allows me to keep all my expenses (music books, office supplies, mileage, etc) in an organized, detailed system so April is no longer a huge headache for me! I also keep my waiting list of families looking to get into lessons so I no longer have the problem of the lost email or phone number when I get an opening in my studio.There are more possibilities with the program (website link, clients being able to link in) that I have not pursued yet but am looking forward to in the future. I have had a lot of comments from my clients about how impressed they are with how organized my studio is. I appreciate that this program allows me to come across as the professional I aim to be and hope to be perceived in my community.

Cons

I get frustrated with some of the backtracking I have to do to personalize the calendar and the invoices. But, I don't see how that would be avoided as my studio is unique and each year is different. I do appreciate that I can personalize each student and each year.

Susan from Susan Evans Piano Studio

I couldn't teach so many students without My Music Staff

As I wrote above, all the administration and accounting is taken care of, leaving me time to teach more students and more hours. I also appreciate the responsive staff, who have always taken care of any wrinkles in the system or any of the problems I might be having within a very short space of time.

Pros

It covers every single part of running a successful teaching practice. It takes care of my scheduling, it streamlines weekly practice assignments, it has a practice log for students, it lists repertoire completed and ongoing with performance dates, it keeps my accounting in order, it makes my income tax return easy, it gives out student tax receipts, it lists student names and addresses so families can contact each other if they need to exchange lessons, it handles lesson cancellation and make-up lesson registration without my having to be involved, it makes emailing notices a piece of cake, and......... I could go on and on. It even has features that I hadn't thought of to make my life as a piano teacher easier and also better organized. Unlike any other online service I've ever used, whenever there's a question or problem, the support staff answer and solve it within 2 or 3 days. They have even redesigned parts of the program when I've raised a problem. The staff at My Music Staff are dedicated to providing us with the best program possible, and review and update features on an ongoing basis. Without My Music Staff, I couldn't possible have taken on the high number of hours of teaching I now enjoy. Time spent on administration is now minimal, and I can spend my time doing what I really love - teaching!

Cons

Very small little things that I haven't even bothered to message in. One is that the assignment notes are linked to the name of the event, so when for example Lucy comes for an extra lesson, which is ID'd as an extra lesson, the practice notes will transfer from Lucy's last extra lesson, not from her last regular lesson. Similar thing happens when the student comes for a make up lesson - the notes that come up are from their last make up lesson, which might have been six months ago. I have to go in to the last regular lesson, copy, then back to the make up lesson and paste. Then do the same thing again to transfer the notes from the make up lesson to the NEXT regular lesson. The second thing that comes to mind is that students cannot enter their repertoire themselves, unless it's already on the studio list of repertoire. But I can see that it's probably been changed this way to rule out mistakes the student might make (spelling, opus number, length of piece etc.) I can't think of anything else. Oh yes - I don't really like having to go to Facebook if I have a question. I preferred getting an answer from the support staff, rather than multiple suggestions as to how I might.......... from other users.

Response from Port 443

Replied September 2018

Hey Susan! Thanks for the great review. Right now, you have "Find past lesson notes for events in the same Event Category only" enabled. Here's how to change that: 1. Click "Settings" in the top right-hand corner and select "My Preferences". 2. From the "Personal" tab, scroll to the very bottom. 3. Uncheck "Find past lesson notes for events in the same Event Category only". 4. Click "Save". Now, the lesson notes will copy forward from their last lesson regardless of the event category :)

Robyn from Robyn’s Piano Room

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Love it!

Love it, for the most part. Staff has always been very responsive with questions and issues.

Pros

For years I kept track of scheduling on one sheet of paper from a weekly calender that I photo-copied and kept in a binder. Used a pencil so I could easily make changes. Attendance and income/expenses separate book. While it does take a little time to enter things manually, everything is streamlined and simpler than other software I have tried. I have looked at a few systems for teachers and this beats them all. I love that I can also send out group emails and save the templates for future use. Expenses and income can be set to repeat and this makes tax time a whole lot easier. Also keeps track of mileage if you travel to student homes—-I also set that to repeat back when I was a traveling teacher. One year I was audited and the auditor was very impressed with the way I kept track of miles and everything else with this software. I gave her printed reports (with receipts). Once she saw I had a good tracking system and accounting software, she glanced at it and sent me on my way with a pat on the back for good record-keeping. That, alone, makes this software worth every penny. I also make use of the free webpage and the “New Student Request” button. I set up a separate email account just for MMS so I know when I see an email it is either a new student request OR from an existing student. I am a solo teacher and don’t use all the features—just what I need. You can set this up to use as much or as little as you want.

Cons

Webpage templates are pretty limited. More options would be fabulous! Text operations seem to be somewhat limited and quirky within the software on my iPad Pro. I rarely use a computer these days so a little more functionality there would be terrific. Line spacing and text options seem to be very limited within the templates and I have been very frustrated with the limitations. I make it work, but more in this area would be better.

Sheila from Hamilton Music Studio

Finally - Simplified Billing!

The tech support was great when I was trying to work with my service provider to get my own domain working with MyMusicStaff. When designing my own website with their template, they were also responsive and helpful with complex formatting on some of the pages.

Pros

I like that I don't have to have my home website named something strange like "teacher's helper"--instead I can have my own domain name and a super easy to use website creator (and nice templates to choose from). The "portal" for parents is automatically added to the website. This way, I can use my own domain name in marketing materials. I have been in business for 20 years and grew exhausted checking out different software packages, none of which were specifically for the music teaching business. As for functionality, I like the bulk attendance.

Cons

Most of it is great. Would like to see continued addition of reports, or the ability to select more options for report content. More uploads--for example, when I put together my schedule for a new semester, it's time consuming to add each lesson in one by one. Being able to type everything in on a spreadsheet and upload it would be great. I find it confusing the way the lesson rates and duration and categories work together. Perhaps this could be simplified somehow--I have to remember which screens to go in to change the students time and category. It gets more confusing when you have siblings at different rates, or when you are discounting lessons for other reasons.

Response from Port 443

Replied September 2018

Hey Sheila! Thanks for taking the time to provide just fantastic feedback :) Our development is community driven. We depend on the awesome suggestions and feedback that we receive from our members. If there's something more you'd like to see in the reporting, let us know! You can always send your feedback and suggestions to support@mymusicstaff.com

Hollie from Progressive Music Studio

Love My Music Staff

It has saved hours of rescheduling students for make up lessons. Lesson and payroll are seamless. Attendance is easy to log. I can control what my families see on the student portal and what my teachers see in their login. It has saved me hours with invoicing, mass emailing, and has saved me a lot of stress and time with payment reminders. Overall I like all the multiple features that are offered with this program and how easy it is for me to use. The staff are fantastic to work with. If I have any questions they are very patient and will walk me through i overall. The staff are fantastic to work with. If I have any questions they are very patient and respond in a timely fashion. If I have problems with anything (which is very rare), they are always happy to help. I have highly recommended this program to other schools, and my teachers who have had experience with other systems really seem to like My Music Stuff as well.

Pros

I love how versatile this program is with policies.It has saved me a lot of time with emailing payment reminders, invoicing, and mass emailing. I love the student portal and calendar option. This summer we tried out a new policy that requires parents to use the calenda and it works great. My families love how easy it is to use and I love the hours it saves in rescheduling, emailing and phone calls.

Cons

When I am logging teachers availability into the calendar for the parents to see, it would be nice that lessons that are not scheduled would automatically show as “open”. This way parents can reschedule into those spots for make up lessons and it doesn’t take me so much time to manually put in open spots. With multiple teachers this can take a long time . I wish there was an option in the studio settings to allow to turn this feature on and off. So studios who do not want to use this calendar feature don’t have to use it.

Kristina from Kristina Lee Music LLC

Invaluable to my business and teaching

Pros

I have used My Music Staff for several years (four, I think). Implementing this software has revolutionized my work flow in big ways. I can manage multiple calendars, create invoices, and receive payments in simple steps. I have used two other studio management softwares and by far, I love the ease of My Music Staff the best. The developing team at My Music Staff has done a great job of making this software intuitive to the user experience and thinking through what the most important and valuable aspects for an independent teacher or a teaching studio with multiple teachers are. Every year, I have expanded the way I use the software as there are numerous features I could not implement right away. This past year, we have used the make-up credit feature to allow students to cancel their lessons to receive credit and use the credit to schedule make-up lessons when they see openings created by other cancellations. While my studio does not have a make-up policy on our official policy (no make-up lessons, period), allowing this to happen (without teacher putting effort towards it) has created added value to our offering and a more gracious atmosphere. I have contacted My Music Staff on many occasions with questions and their responses always have been super quick and competent (like they actually heard my question and answered them in the way that was helpful to me). I highly recommend it!

Cons

There are a few more advanced features I would love, such as allowing different policies for different kinds of events. But this is a very minor issue that I don't feel I'm entitle to for the money I pay to use this software.

Tina from Tina Lamberts Cello Studio

Industry: Fine Art

Awesome!

Huge time saver!

Pros

For me, the best feature is the ease of scheduling lessons and ensembles. Summer is more complicated for me because family schedules are less regular. This program allows parents to check my schedule, find an open time that works for them and register for it - all with no e-mails back and forth with me! They can do this each week if they want and if something comes up and they need to reschedule, they can just do it without multiple emails. This is a huge time saver! I also really like the ease of entering payments at the lesson. I can handle this before the student leaves and put the check/cash in my wallet. Done! My old paper system seemed to take longer for me. Oh, and for scheduling ensembles, I can create an ensemble time and notify students in like 30 seconds! Then I just wait for them to register, or not. If not enough students register, I just cancel the ensemble and everyone is notified. This used to require a boatload of emails and texts. And one more thing, my summer used to be full of students forgetting to come to lessons because they don't come every Tuesday at 2pm. I was just not going to spend the time to send reminder emails to each student manually. Now, My Music Staff automatically sends a reminder email (or text) to the the student and/or parent the day before. So far, I have only had one student no show because they forgot. I don't have to feel guilty about charging for it, they were reminded.

Cons

I am getting used to the attendance pop-up. Most of my students are with me for a number of years and we always work on scales, etudes and technique pieces, and repertoire pieces. I have the books that I commonly use for scales, etudes and technique set up as Repertoire and then use the Notes to assign pages or specific pieces as well as for comments. This automatically copies to each lesson so this shows what I assigned and I can adjust it for the current lesson. I am not sure if this is developing a history or not for the student. I guess the biggest hurdle for me has been getting used to the process of recording the lesson while the student is there. Mostly, it is just adjusting from my custom paper lesson book to keying things on a screen. It would be extremely helpful to be able to see the end time of the lesson on this pop-up (currently just the start time shows) and also when I will see this student for their next lesson.

Response from Port 443

Replied September 2018

Hi Tina, Thanks for leaving such a detailed review! A surprising amount of time can be taken up by students and parents reaching out about missed lessons or new schedules; I'm glad we could help with our automated schedule and student portal! When you record notes or assign repertoire, your students do have a history! Reach out to us at support@mymusicstaff.com to find out more.

Larisse from The Music Shack

Industry: Music

Better than all the rest

I don't know how I have survived without it! It is also constantly listening to user feedback to improve on their software.

Pros

This has literally everything you need and it is customised for music teachers. Very easy to set up and a great website for free to create and use. I have tried virtually every comparable software out there in this similar price bracket and this is hands down the best. Features too many things to list: Scheduling, payments, expenses, website, student/teacher/parent portal, practice log, lesson notes, blog, bulk emailing, integration with zoom and more

Cons

not really any cons, It would be good to have a function to leave messages for students or students message the teacher and an alert is given that there is a message waiting.

Reasons for Choosing My Music Staff

Music Teacher's Helper is a very similar product but the pricing is slightly more expensive. I couldn't see any features that my music staff didn't already have so I went with my music staff.

Cally from Music

Industry: Music

You Need This in Your Life!

Customer support is very helpful!

Pros

I don't generate invoices until I have my schedule set. Once I have my schedule for the month/semester/etc figured out, I create invoices and send them to parents. I love that this program makes it easy to create and send invoices based on the schedule. What used to take me HOURS now takes minutes. I also like how it tracks payments, adjustments, etc in the program so that even parents can see. No more angry parents claiming they paid when they simply forgot; they can see everything. My studio size doubled because I am so much more organized with everything. I also love that students can see notes that I've taken, assignments, download music, etc. I also send out mass messages for my upcoming concerts which is posted on the group studio page. ALSO I love that it automatically sends reminder texts and emails. I rarely have students forget to come to their lessons anymore (and when they do, I just remind them of my cancellation policy, so I never lose any dollars). I love this program. Just amazing. I will never use anything else.

Cons

I wish there was an phone app that would allow me to work offline. I frequently work in practice rooms that block out cell phone signal, so I can't load students' notes when I teach. Also, It took forever to figure out how to navigate through the site at first. Lastly, I wish I could figure out how to automatically send my students their lesson schedule for the month (not essential since it is listed in the invoice, but I would like to have the kids get a list of lesson times in the email).

rebekah from Rebekah's Vocal Studio

Industry: Music

Fantastic service! Efficient customer service!

MMS software is laid out in an organised manner, so it is very easy to use. But customer service are always at hand to answer your questions. They send very clear instructions and a lot of effort is put into making sure it is easy to understand. It is a very worth while investment.

Pros

MMS software is laid out in an organised manner, so it is very easy to use. I use it for invoicing families (using the automatic invoicing option) and scheduling lessons and find it very useful tool for both. I record lesson notes from each students lesson and upload resources to the online resources section. Which is a one stop shop for all your students to access sheet music, backing tracks and anything else you want them to have access to. You can input non teaching days and events like student gigs into the calendar section for you and your students to see (you can make events private too if you dont want students to see). The newest feature allows students to access online lessons from their home screen or calendar. This makes is more streamlined for studnets and means everything is in one place. Fantastic feature!

Cons

I would love if there was an option for families to choose email settings. Like whether or not they want receipts emailed, or if the want event reminders etc. It would also be great if you could have an option to attach receipt to the lesson notes when emailing, to reduce the amount of emails they are receiving.

Cynthia from Cynthia McCaffety Piano Studio

Industry: Music

Invaluable aid to any private music teacher

I switched to MyMusicStaff two years ago after using another software for several years. I was reluctant to switch everything over, but the other app had become unreliable. So glad I did it! The monthly rate is VERY reasonable and the learning curve easily managed. I do get good help from support and they have helped me work out a few little things that I had hung up on. I could not manage my studio of 29 private piano students without this app!

Pros

Hard to choose! I depend on so many facets of MyMusicStaff every day. Perhaps Scheduling is the best aspect, but Accounting is near the top. The calendar is super easy for ongoing daily lesson scheduling and is accessible to parents for canceling and rescheduling, with no attention from me required. I even schedule available make-up slots and parents make us of them. Accounting is a huge time-saver! Every detail is there and doesn't take much time to comprehend. Ongoing lesson rates, special rates for certain families, automatic or nonautomatic billing, make-up credits--they really know what a music teacher needs!

Cons

Not much of a minus, but I'd like a little more flexibility with attendance reports. But I have worked out a way to get what I need.

Response from Port 443

Replied December 2018

Hey Cynthia! Thank you for trusting your business to My Music Staff. We're happy that you decided to make the switch. The flexibility you were hoping to add to the reporting had to do with knowing the number of lessons a student had in a given period. You can actually already do this by creating a "Lessons Taught" report from the "Studio Reports" menu.

Cody from Self-employed - Music

Industry: Music

If You Have a Music Studio, You Need This!

If you run a music studio of any type, you need this software. There are far too many details with scheduling and book keeping for you to do it by yourself. This software has helped me keep track of any and all students at any one time. It has helped me automate many lessons and recital schedules among other things. It helps all teachers at our studio keep attendance records up to date for all students. This is just a bit about what you can do with My Music Staff.

Pros

I love the fact that my studio found this software. I have been given the responsibility of being the studio manager for a piano studio in California. I love the calendar feature where you can filter different teachers, studios or student lists. My organization runs three studios, one in California and two on the East coast. I love the ability of emailing straight from the application. It allows me to keep in touch with all students, parents and teachers at any time.

Cons

Sometimes, the technology does get hard sometimes and the scheduling portion can have glitches and put scheduling in the wrong place. Sometimes I have trouble organizing with the app. There are issues with scheduling conflicts at the studio when the times don’t overlap. That could stand to have some updating.

Response from Port 443

Replied November 2018

Hey Cody! Thanks for the great feedback :) It looks like your studio has conflict detection disabled. To enable this feature: 1. Click "Settings" in the top right-hand corner and select "Studio Settings". 2. From the "Options" tab, click "Check for scheduling conflicts when adding/editing calendar events". 3. Scroll to the bottom and click "Save Options". If you need a hand, we're here to help! Our team can be reached at support@mymusicstaff.com or by phone at 1-888-732-6134.

Jack from Half Note Music School

Industry: Music

MMS is a solid product which covers most of the bases

MMS has made scheduling quite efficient. It is fairly easy to navigate once you get used to it. We have been using it for a long time and I know there are features I haven't even gotten to yet. I don't think we've worked with the support team much as we've been able to figure things out. I would be very interested in taking a live class if it were offered just to appreciate the full potential of the software.

Pros

I especially like the attendance notes. It informs our students (parents) what is to be expected at the next lesson. This is especially good for parents who are not particularly musical, to remind the child specifics of the practice material. I also like the auto reminder sent for next day classes. This gives the student an opportunity to cancel class in time to qualify for a make up class. And, if a class had been verbally cancelled, but the teacher did not log it as such, (s)he is reminded that the class has been cancelled.

Cons

I wish there was an entry to list the specific instrument being taught at each class. We can list the instrument in the student information section, but it'd be more convenient if it were right there on the calendar. Many instructors teach multiple disciplines and knowing which is being taught at a given class would make it easier for us to book the right room and/or the right substitute.

Response from Port 443

Replied September 2018

Hey Jack! You can actually create custom event categories. This would be a great way to detail what instrument is being taught. We'd be happy to walk you through the steps. Send an email to support@mymusicstaff.com or click "Help" in the top right-hand corner of your account and do a quick search for "custom event".

Jennifer from Go-DIVA! Productions, Inc.

Industry: Performing Arts

MMS is a Huge Time Saver!

Scheduling is so much smoother, and placed in the hands of the students. That is huge! It saves so much time, allowing me to focus more on non-administrative aspects of teaching. The option to invoice students provides a professional (and far less awkward than "asking") means of reminding students when fees are due, how much, and for what services. The system has also influenced how I handle logistics of planning for master classes, recitals, workshops, etc. I use the MMS calendar to require registration for such activities which streamlines the process, presents a firm deadline, facilitates pre-payment, etc. These aspects were cumbersome and less organized when I tried to balance them through trails of emails. Now, it's simplified, efficient, and effective. Although I do still sometimes use email and social media platforms, MMS also provides a central location for announcements and important documents that can always be accessed by studio members. Grateful for MMS and all it has to offer!

Pros

The scheduling platform is fantastic. I used to send countless, lengthy, endlessly-threaded emails to schedule lessons for my large private voice studio. The MMS scheduling system has saved me so much time, reduced clutter in my email box, and put the responsibility of cancelling/re-scheduling lessons into the hand of my students. Any schedule adjustment made by a student prompts an immediate, automated notification to me, which keeps me informed without having to initiate and handle the scheduling issue myself. As my studio has continued to grow, the billing / accounting aspect of the software has been very helpful as well. It helps me keep better records of payment, especially when methods of payment range from checks to cash to paypal and credit card.

Cons

There is a glitch in the system with website page editing that I hope MMS is able to fix. Although I love the ease with which I am able to build the website through MMS, I am frustrated by the ongoing issues with editing. I also would love to see the Repertoire section open up to allow students to submit and organize their own repertoire on the MMS platform, rather than requiring the teacher to do it all.

Amy from Cambridge Conservatory of Music

Industry: Music

Switched from similar software and never looked back.

The number of families now comfortable with My music staff for information and payment has increased exponentially saving us time and money. Our families are impressed by the professional software, and I love the transparency and organization we offer to clients and employees about how the business runs.

Pros

Very user friendly for both parents and employees (we are a multi teacher school) Love how responsive the MMS team is, both with constant updates to the program (and often based on client requests) to attentive support when there are issues. Price point can't compare to some of the alternatives. I love that it is based on the number of teachers, so doesn't penalize us for getting more students (ie. being a successful business!) like a per/student rate.

Cons

It has a lot of functionality with reports that is not so intuitive. Accessing the data in ways that may be useful to a business can often mean trying lots of different reports and tweaking the settings slightly to get the right report. We accept payments in studio via Payd and have to enter these manually into MMS. Would love some way to connect these, or to be able to accept canadian debit cards (require chip readers).

Response from Port 443

Replied September 2018

Hey Amy! We're all ears :) You can send your suggestions and feedback to the team at support@mymusicstaff.com. We'd really like to hear more from you about how we can improve the reporting for your studio. Glad to hear you've been loving My Music Staff!

Mark from The Music Dancing Feet Partnership

Music Dancing Feet Partnership and My Music Staff - Life has become easier for both staff and pupils

The main benefit that we have found has been increased reliability of pupil attendance and an enhanced way of keeping track of lessons that need to be caught up. It has made invoicing easier for both us as a business and for the pupils to see what they owe at a glance. The Music Dancing Feet Partnership have been really pleased to have joined in partnership with My Music Staff, I would like to say thank you from all of our pupils and staff for making our lives easier.

Pros

The ease of use to link with pupils. With the ability to create lessons notes as you teach and email them for assistance with practice is a great benefit for both teacher and pupil. The Lesson reminders. the lesson reminder have a two fold benefit in that they reduce the number of no shows for lessons and ensure that pupils remember to let you know if they cannot attend to allow you the scope to offer other lessons to them and to fill their slot; it also gets a lot of correspondence to you in advance of the lesson so that you can have other material ready for the lesson in advance. Invoicing. This has proven to be a very reliable package for invoicing. Student records. A very easy way of keeping all notes up to date and to hand. Library facility I haven't had much call to use this yet but on the occasion that I have lent music out it is an invaluable way of keeping track of who has what. Blog This is an area that is looking to be exploited later in the year.

Cons

I have not really found any down sides to the software.

David from Valley Music Academy

MMS has been our savior

MMS has been a life saver. We had actually contracted with another provider about a year before MMS. They promised a lot and had a good looking product/site, but the business management piece just wasn't working. We were never able to roll that out to our students or teachers and wasted a lot of time. MMS worked from day one. The import of student files was easy. Accounts were set up without any problems. As a nonprofit music school, we do things a little differently from a for profit business. We have been able to adapt the functionality of MMS to work with our system. The connection with PayPal was a tremendous benefit. We are now able to offer auto payment to our students. Scheduling is handled easily. We do not use MMS for payment of teachers, but MMS generates all the reports that we need to easily track lessons and pay our teachers quickly. MMS saves us about 4-5 hours per week in handling attendance vs. our previous methods. I can't say enough good things about it. We have 15 teachers using the software and they love it. This has made all of it easier. Scheduling, cancelling lessons, rescheduling lessons, attendance, communication--all of it is so much easier. Remote access from everywhere is great too. It works well from home, pc, tablet and iphone. This has transformed our music school and we are so pleased and look forward to implementing even more features as they become available

Pros

Easy to use, works well with multiple users, gives the students and families online access to their account, provides an auto-pay option, manages billing easily, great customer service - so much more I could add.

Cons

Wish the online registration widget could be a bit more attractive for new student registrants.

Maureen from Cranberry Learns Piano

Saved My Studio

My business runs very smoothly and professionally with the use of My Music Staff, I have the control that I need of the studio while giving my instructors the freedom to teach the way they find most effective with the students. Parents enjoy the reminders, automatic invoicing and electronic payment options. My website drives in lots of business and it is created using the templates on My Music Staff. Without this program my studio would never have grown to this point nor would it continue to grow as it is today. I will always recommend and share my love of this program.

Pros

As I began taking on more students a couple of years ago and I started to struggle with scheduling and and billing, we started looking around and found My Music Staff, it saved my studio. We are now at 32 students and we have 3 instructors, without the ease of My Music Staff I would never be able to schedule and bill families appropriately or keep track of payroll. I love the ease of looking up addresses, families inputting their own information and being able to keep track of assignments within the program. The reminder emails and texts are awesome for busy families and the automatic billing feature is amazing so that I don't have to calculate and send out invoices to families.

Cons

Nothing really, some of the setting are buried a little bit, but everything is very logical.

Jessica from The Well-Balanced Violin Studio

A Game Changer for All Private Music Teachers

MMS has made running my own private studio a breeze. Everything I need for my studio is in one place, and the automation eliminates my need to spend hours at the computer or have a secretary. I can't imagine having to manage my studio any other way.

Pros

I love the billing process with My Music Staff! Before using MMS, I spent hours creating and sending invoices and then I would have to chase down payments every month. Now it creates and sends the invoices automatically each month and parents pay me on time, because they receive reminders and it is so easy for them to push a button and pay online. I was so surprised in my first month with MMS when parents were sending me payments while I was out enjoying my time off with family - I completely forgot that invoices had gone out already, and I was able to sit back and let MMS do all the work.

Cons

The only improvements that could be made to MMS is in the website section. I love the design and look of MMS, and that is one of the reasons I chose to use it. It looks so much better and it is so much easier to use than some of their competitors like Music Teacher's Helper. I even love the designs of MMS's ads on facebook and instagram, and the designs of their new printables. While the design for MMS is the best I have seen, the website template designs are not good. The designs look outdated and the personalization features are no where near Wordpress, Squarespace, or other website design companies. This issue is not a big deal breaker for me, because so many of the other features on MMS are fantastic, however it is the only section of MMS that I don't use.

Easy, Intuitive App for Private Music Teachers

My Music Staff is dependable, responsive and fair.

Pros

This app is very easy to use. You can sign up and then begin setting your studio up immediately. I teach out of my home and typically have 25-35 students each year. I was able to add all of my student and family accounts and set-up my schedule very quickly. The best thing about this package is what it has done for my invoicing process. It has cut down 75% of my work time for processing invoicing, payments, communication to families and reporting. As an added bonus, it has built in functionality for tracking practice time, gives a place to record studio news, lets you build and host a website, and stores online documents for use and retrieval by students. My studio families love having access through the portal so that they can always see their balance, make payments, and read notes about their student's progress. My older students use the student portal too.

Cons

One of my studio parents also does administrative work for me. She has two separate accounts, her admin account to do business and her personal account for her children's lessons. It would be nice if there was a way to compact that into one account for her.

Daniel from Diario Meridiano

A musician in order

Pros

Are you a musician, do you love to teach, and be a responsible person with your students? Then MyMusicStaff is your necessary tool. Sometimes, a physical agenda is not so useful to be well organized, in addition to only fulfilling the function of scoring, exposing itself to be able to erase the information or not be readable any annotation. Being in the 21st century, it is necessary to use modern tools that help us to have a well-structured planning that is very useful for the teacher (musician), as well as for his students. With MyMusicStaff manage your agenda, your students, your bills and much more, and most importantly, it can be taken with you from any electronic device. It also has the ability to run all day, if you need to write something down immediately. As if that were not enough, MyMusicStaff gives you the possibility to show yourself through the creation of your own virtual page, where you can expose all the musical courses you do, and above all, your brand. Although the application is paid, you have the possibility to try it for 30 days, and you will see that if you are a music teacher, it will be a vital tool for your day to day life.

Cons

The only detail against this application could have is a platform full of options. It does not seem to be a negative detail, but for people who are not used to these types of tools, they may be overwhelmed by having multiple options without knowing what is used in many cases. For tantom this application is aimed more at contemporary adults who want to live their organized life through a virtual portal. Of rest, 100% recommended.

Piano Teacher

I love using My Music Staff for my music education company. I cannot imagine being successful at my job without it.

Pros

As a piano teacher, My Music Staff saves me countless hours. I used to try to stay organized by myself! I didn't send reminders for weekly appointments and as a result, I often had no-shows. I also didn't have a great system of tracking payments. Now, My Music Staff keeps track of my calendar, clients and their information, invoices, payments, late fees, and annual tax information. At the end of the year, I can simply click a button and see how much money I have earned. It also tells me how much money I have spent on piano books and fees. It sends reminders through email, text or both to my clients. I can also keep a running database for all of my students and have a list of former students. It is essential for any kind of music teacher!

Cons

I don't love paying $12.95 per month for this software. It is worth it so I have been a customer for years. At first, it was difficult to set up the automatic invoices and autopay for interested clients. I did need to contact their customer service and they were extremely helpful.

Jed from Jed da Roza Voice Studios

Excellent

Do it. My Music Staff provides me TREMENDOUS value. It is an excellent example of how technology can be used as a tool to enhance our lives.

Pros

This product ticks all my boxes! It connects with PayPal, so I can accept credit cards online (and if person if I wanted to) and My Music Staff automatically adds the payment to the student's account. It saves me time because students are able to cancel and register for lessons through the website which means less email. Yay! Lending library, digital file locker, website builder, repertoire tracker,... aMAzing! And their customer support has been top notch when I needed help with a feature/setting and in quickly fixing bugs.

Cons

While it does pretty much everything I could want it to, some of the settings are in unexpected places. There are some calendar settings on the calendar page itself, some are in the main settings, some in preferences, etc. When I want to tweak a setting, I sometimes have to click through multiple pages to find the setting I'm looking for. I'm afraid this may be keeping some people from knowing about, finding, and enjoying many of the great features of My Music Staff.

Rebecca from PianoWithRebecca

Industry: Music

highly recommended for anyone running a music studio

My Music Staff has saved me countless hours in invoicing and scheduling. Tracking items such as make up credits, missed lessons, payments, and the like are a snap. Parents have had positive feedback about utilizing the scheduling features, which saves me more time in not having to deal with lesson cancellations and reschedules. My Music Staff offers other robust features such as repertoire assignments, resource sharing, and mileage and expense tracking that I am just beginning to explore. My Music Staff is truly a great value and a huge asset to my business.

Pros

My Music Staff is intuitive and easy to use. I came over from a competitor's software, and the difference is night and day. I was constantly encountering glitches and needing support with the other product, but with My Music Staff I have needed support only one time in almost a year. Customer service was incredibly responsive, friendly, and resolved my issue right away. The interface and functionality are very smooth with My Music Staff. I highly recommend this software to anyone who teaches music, regardless of the size of your studio. My Music Staff will streamline your processes and make your life so much easier!

Cons

At first I was disappointed that they don't have a dedicated app. But the mobile optimized (responsive design) website works extremely well on my Android phone, and since I am already familiar with the website it is very easy to navigate and syncs seamlessly. So I really can't point to any cons; my experience has been entirely positive so far.

Dave from Dave Goodman Music

Industry: Music

Much More Than I Expected!

Part of my music teaching is done in a school that requires a rotating timetable so the students skip a different class each week for their music lesson. For years I tried communicating these times to students and parents in many ways, none of which seemed effective as there was a great deal of confusion and absenteeism. I searched frequently for some kind of notification system such as the one my dentist uses, but they were all very prohibitively expensive. One day, toward the end of 2014, one my searches turned up My Music Staff, which could send automated email event reminders for a low monthly fee. After using it for a while, I found unexpected features such as keeping track of attendance, make-up credits, lesson notes, providing downloads for students, an online student/parent portal, a sign-up widget, as well as integrated billing to be indispensable for the way I’m now able to run my studio.

Pros

What I like most about My Music Staff is the Lesson Notes function as it enables seamless continuity from lesson to lesson with each student, which, to me, is most the most important aspect of teaching.

Cons

As each feature in My Music Staff is likeable in its own way, the only reason why I like the Expense Tracker the least is because I use different accounting software and, therefore, have no need for it.

Ethan from Wing Studios

Industry: Music

Takes a lot of the guess work out of the admin work

My Music Staff helps make a running business simple with all the information set-up, default settings, and scheduling set-up. If it is only one person running all the administrative work while teaching, that normally can be a tall order to fulfill, but My Music Staff takes all the guess-work out of it. It's also very easy to manage other teachers if you have more than one person teaching in a studio. You can easily see how much they have worked, what students attend their lessons and which students do not on any given day and it makes it very simple to pay your employees with that information. Overall, I would strongly recommend this program to a brand new studio, but also wouldn't shy away from saying an established studio could get a lot out of using this program as well.

Pros

Scheduling and sending out invoices are never difficult and the organization of it all works fantastically.

Cons

I wish there were a few more options of things that I could do using the website builder, having few more customization options, but it certainly does work as a little better than just a plain placeholder website. Setting up the necessities for the website (showing studio address with a map, student/parent portal, interest forms, etc.) is very easy, but would like to see some more advanced options when it comes to the way text interacts with the page or how some pictures interact on a certain webpage.

Kirstie from Ktunes Music Studio

Can't be beat!

The experience has been great! The support team is wonderful and very quick to respond!

Pros

The amazing features (unlimited storage!!!! to paypal and square integration to calendar and billing and lesson note management) come at such an affordable price and in such a user friendly software!

Cons

There are frequent updates but they never seem to get to certain features that keep being requested (such as a timer on the practice log and the ability for teachers to see the same view as students see when they log in).

Reasons for Switching to My Music Staff

MyMusicStaff is more affordable, more user friendly and is overall more up to date.

Dana from Graceful Notes Music Studio

Industry: Fine Art

Easy to use!

I use MMS daily and it is a crucial resource for the success of my studio. The price point is fantastic. Overall I am a very pleased customer.

Pros

I have used my Music Staff software for almost 3 years. I've tried other programs but I believe that MMS is the BEST resource for your money!

Cons

The only issues I've run into are just minor in detail. I kinda would like there to be an app and maybe a better functionality on mobile devices.

Price

Response from Port 443

Replied September 2019

Hi Dana, We're happy to hear My Music Staff is working hard for you and your business! You'll be happy to know our team is currently working on a number of enhancements to improve the mobile experience.

Natalie from World of Music Education Ltd.

Industry: Music

Super Staff Sorting Software.

Superb, It really has made life so much easier and efficient. The fact that students can log in and see their notes, make payments and feel more involved helps to build the community feel that we struggle to get with one to one lessons.

Pros

I can track what and where staff are meant to be at any one time quickly and see if they have any free slots for new customers. I can also trac customer payments and make sure every one is getting paid when they should be.

Cons

Not being able to have more than one teacher added to an event - I have to set up events for each teacher, then pick one who will charge the customer and then set the others to no charge for the customer. It would be great if it was possible to set multiple teachers in an event and that it would automatically show on their calendar. Also I can set different pay levels for different teachers even different groups but somehow if I pay a teacher £20 per hour and they have a 45 min lesson the system doesn't always calculate the new charge automatically - this could just be me not setting it up correctly.

Rebecca from Blue Tree Music Education

Industry: Music

You saved my music school!

A-MA-ZING. My office manager and I love it. Because of MMS, we can effectively run the school, AND have a life outside of it. When I was using Excel I'd spend HOURS and HOURS in front of the computer, and now I have time to spend with my family because MMS automates many of the tasks I was doing by hand.

Pros

I was using an Excel spreadsheet before I transitioned to MMS. Of course, that was back when I had less than 100 students. Now with 300 students (and still growing), I would've been lost without this amazing product! I love the automatic invoicing, the ACH capability (this is KEY), the easy-peasy payroll and other reports, but all of these features are just a BONUS on top of the best scheduling system I've ever used. We would be poorly organized, and I'd be out a ton of $$$ hiring staff to take care of all of these facets that MMS offers in ONE platform. Kudos, My Music Staff!

Cons

It's been buggy from time to time, but we knew that it was a new product going in. Your staff has been awesome in responding to all service requests.

Ian from Ian Chalk Brass Studio

Industry: Music

My Music Staff Simplified My Life!

My Music Staff has allowed me to run an efficient business. Students play more because they are more engaged. Parents are happy because invoicing runs efficiently which also results in better cashflow for me as I'm not chasing people for money all the time!

Pros

It's incredibly easy to use and automatically allows you to present your business as that of a professional who cares about what they do. Invoicing is easy and professional and parents find it easy to pay me which makes my life a lot easier! My students love it because they they can engage with me in ways they previously couldn't allowing me to be their tutor for more than just 30 minutes a week. Parents love it because they know what's happening, can contact me easily and feel part of the child's musical journey. Plus it's really affordable. I attract and retain more students because of My Music Staff so it pays for itself.

Cons

I would like to be able to change the colouring of the website after logging in to match my own 'corporate' colours but that's a small thing.

Jenna from Detroit Violin Company

The best!!

I had a studio of around 30 students before beginning to use this software. I don’t think that I could have expanded my studio up to students without this tool to help me out. It has made my personal finances easier to manage, scheduling and billing matters a breeze to keep track of, and I could never go back to teaching without it

Pros

MMS has truly allowed me to grow and expand my teaching business with ease. The ability to send professional looking invoices via email to all of my students has been excellent and it has definitely reduce the amount of late payments or forgetfulness regarding payments. I love that I can take notes during my students’ lessons and email them directly to students and parents or just keep notes for my own reference. I feel that the cost of this software is very low for what it provides so I am grateful for the great value for such a great product. I will continue to use my music staff without hesitation and recommend it to all of my colleagues

Cons

The only con that I can think of is that when you are viewing a student profile in my music staff, phone numbers and email addresses are not hyperlinked. This is a simaple feature that would be really wonderful to have

Mary from The Takenote Studio

Industry: Music

My first 10 months with My Music Staff.

Very happy to be on board. I was a member of Music Teachers Helper for more than 10 years but latterly I found that it became a little over complicated for me to follow.

Pros

The software was well explained and it was easy to try the basics out from the beginning. It is best to explore a little at a time initially, and gradually knowledge of optimising your system will build up, organising timetable/billing/etc concerts and parents are welcome. It is clear that help is easily at hand if you need assistance with questions.

Cons

I have run a website before and I was looking forward to doing it again with MMS. I’m still learning how to use all things available on MMS……and I have had some snags setting up parental access ..however I haven’t tried out all the ‘help’ yet. I have learnt to love the ‘video music”.. just

Reasons for Choosing My Music Staff

The apps on you tube caught my eye…. It has proved a good move for me.

Reasons for Switching to My Music Staff

The ‘help’ sections became increasingly hard to access and get on top of……particularly with billing. With families of two siblings learning from one family under my original use of their app it went to needing two separate bills for each family member learning and made life far more complicated.

Emma from Music Mill

Just what is needed!

So much easier to organise my week. I wish there was an app that I could have on my phone as most schools don't have wifi for my laptop to connect, which means I either have to remember everything when I get home, or try to use the desktop site on my phone. It would awesome to have an app for teacher and student (like the desktop). Pretty much all kids have phones these days so I think they would explore the features more if that was possible. The app could have a built in metronome, fingering charts, or stuff like that. Maybe the teacher can have access to scales, and can assign scales to students, and the app can hear the student play them at home and let them know if the notes are right/wrong? Could be a bit tricky ay! But overall, I really do love the app. Very reasonable price too.

Pros

Very easy to use interface, friendly design, thought out options. I like how since joining I am noticing small changes to things and each change has been for the better! Very easy to design website function, and I like how specific you can be with everything!

Cons

I find my students don't enjoy logging their practice time. Perhaps a personalised widget page (when they sign in) would be more useful. Like, notes from previous lesson, blog posts, and things like that can be customizable? Is there a space to put contracts in so I don't have to write seperate documents when new students sign up? That would be cool.