Browse OpenVPN Reviews

Emiliano Ariel from PCCENTRO SRL

Stable VPN service

We have at least today 350 users using this software at home. In this pandemic world was the more important tool we use.

Pros

Good performance and ease to use before a few months

Cons

Not so easy for install. There is a lot of documents about this but still a barrier to enter.

Reasons for Choosing OpenVPN

It's free without limits.

Reasons for Switching to OpenVPN

We need more power and UDP features.

Manuel from Latinos in Real Estate

December 2021

Great option for having your own VPN

Pros

It is very reliable and fast to connect, easy to manage users and the stability is 10/10

Cons

Since it requires your own server to deploy it mat be more expensive depending on the numbers of users

Highly customizable

Reasons for Switching to OpenVPN

NordVPN crashes a lot!, Open VPN is very stable in the connection

Good VPN Service

It gives me the freedom to change my IP address.

Pros

OpenVPN is available for Ipads, Android and PC and gives you the flexibility to change your IP: address.

Cons

The first impression of the software is it is difficult to setup compared with other services, however after some time you get used to it.

Mohamed from Fivos Health

OpenVPN Review

it is a good experience and I did not face any problems while using it

Pros

Easy To Connect and fast too Easily to import VPN files to it Integration with other programs easily too Stable Internet

Cons

it is disconnected when I make my computer sleep so every time I make the computer sleep I need to reconnect again.

Phanit from Change Financial Ltd.

Secure and easy to use

Overall, OpenVPN Access Server is easy to use, easy to set up. They have a nice app for all the platforms. It does the job well for our main use case which is to limit access to our APIs to only those who are connected to the VPN.

Pros

Simple user interface. Easy to set up and connect OpenVPN Access Server to enable two-factor authentication with Google Authenticator. The client-side is also intuitive with apps for mobile devices (iOS and Android) and for the desktop (windows and mac).

Cons

Can sometimes be hard to debug connection errors. On the client-side, if the connection error fails because of a password or expiration or wrong password, the error message does not reflect this. This could possibly be for security protection, but it can be a bit confusing to the end user.

Mohamed from MedStreaming

OpenVPN Access Server Review

it is an amazing experience using this software and stability

Pros

Connect more than one vpn at the same time. connect does not close when make computer sleep. Connect is so fast

Cons

Closing after long time connecting Wait some times to connect and reconnect logs is clear and can explore any error from it

Paul from Morillo Construction.com

VPN Makes Working Outside the Office Easier

Pros

OpenVPN makes it easy to access files and information that is onsite so working from home and outside the office is easier

Cons

It doesn't work to well when using an iPad to access a windows SMB share

Ahmed from MedStreaming

OpenVPN

Pros

Open Source Free VPN Tool with with great community for support

Cons

the client user experience need more improvements

Michal from Ex.co

Michal - OpenVPN

Pros

It’s easy to use in desktop and mobile app

Cons

It’s not working when applying another VPN (for Geo targeting)

jamieal from prudkingz

OPENVPN Review

Pros

software is great make everything surfing wise better for those having trouble with linking there most loved sites

Cons

software is great and exceeds expectations so i recommend this software

Solid VPN server product

OpenVPN Access Server helped us secure our internal FedRAMP environment without the complications or cost of an enterprise solution.

Pros

OpenVPN Access Server is a great solution for any size business that is looking for an economical and feature rich solution.

Cons

I didn't find anything with OpenVPN Access Server that I didn't like. It had an easy to configure interface and the client just worked.

Sandhya from Procit BV

Review of OpenVPN

Overall OpenVPN is a great tool to ensure users communication are secured and private.

Pros

OpenVPN is a free VPN server which provides super security features. They include OpenSSL library together with HMAC packet authentication due to which network safety is maximum. It is easy to use, reliable and provides great community support as most of their software protocols are licensed by GNU GPL. It is open source and source code is available for modification. It supports TCP and UDP protocols on any ports which makes it extremely difficult to block. It has high 1024-bit encryption levels and supports forward secrecy.

Cons

One of the disadvantages of OpenVPN is it is not compatible to few servers as OpenVPN does not support them. Due to prioritizing maximum security, encryption occurs in User's space, it affects the speed of network and increases latency. Mostly low specs devices are affected by network latency. It has numerous options thus, it can be confusing for new users to use. It is blocked by few proxy servers and is difficult to configure.

Majid from Spring

Trustworthy solution

I can have a secure connection to my server, So in public areas, using free WiFi is not source of worries for me anymore.

Pros

After connecting to the remote server, All connections to the Lan will be dropped. It means that It provides a real secure connection.

Cons

There is only the last version which is available on the website and I can not download previous versions from openvpn.net I don't know this is the issue of software or my knowledge, but I couldn't have two concurrent connections from different devices at the same time. So I had to create two different users for two devices.

Better Speed

Excellent VPN Option

I use OpenVPN to access my company's network when I am working remotely. This keeps me productive no matter where I am. It works great and I have literally never had an issue with it.

Pros

I have used many other VPN clients before and OpenVPN is my favorite. All clients do a fine job of getting me VPN access when I need it, but OpenVPN keeps me connected while my laptop is off or asleep and it remembers my login credentials to make signing back in very quick.

Cons

I really have nothing to complain about. OpenVPN is a very simple and useful VPN client. I have used it for a while with zero issues.

Michael from TSC Consulting Company

This is the standard for remote access

I think it's a great standard that should continue to be developed.

Pros

Easy to setup point to point tunnels from other openvpn routers to other openvpn routers, cross platform compatibility with apple, windows, android, and linux devices, tons of support and the gui is very simple for windows users to use as along as they can remember to open it in the right hand corner of the tray and click connect first before trying to open other network resources like remote desktop or windows file sharing.

Cons

some of the windows 10 system had a bug where you had to right click and run as administrator for security issues to get the software's TAP adapter to successfully load so you could connect.

Shelly from Nestle

Security in the economic network.

I have used this program for more than three years, although it has presented me incoherent on some occasions, I must say that it has complied with everything established, offers excellent servers to be free, with a stable and excellent speed to navigate, protect your data and stay in anonymity to prevent information theft, an excellent program for anyone.

Pros

Ease of connection, diversity of servers in different countries, free, ease of use and installation, network security, identity protection, stable speed, guaranteed anonymity.

Cons

Weakness in the connections, it does not offer support, the program does not notify if it is disconnected from the server, it can connect it to an unwanted server, the speed may decrease, it does not offer additional security.

Charlie from CGTech

Adequate VPN Server

Professional use for file access and email servers.

Pros

I've used this to gain access to restricted work servers for email and storage. It works about 80% of the time to allow me to access the email and files stored there. Once installed, it's pretty easy to connect on a laptop and it's automatic on a phone (most of the time).

Cons

It's a little hit-or-miss, as previously stated. Every now and then, I need to manually connect my mobile device to the VPN, even though it should be automatic. It doesn't always play nicely with hotel networks so when I travel for work, I'm not always able to use the hotel wireless to check emails or access files.

Moris from Corte Suprema de Justicia

OpenVPN Acess Server - Sutil y Estable

La estabilidad de OpenVPN Access Server es muy buena, su facilidad de uso y configuración ofrece una experiencia más que satisfactoria.

Pros

OpenVPN Access Server tiene las diferentes opciones que se esperan en una vpn, ademas su configuración inicial es facil, el cifrado con certificado digital brinda la confianza que se busca para proteger las comunicaciones

Cons

el cliente en la versión de window se congela y hay que reiniciar el servicio, el problema es que para esto hay que tener conocimiento intermedios y tener permisos de administrador, si esto no es asi no hay mas que reiniciar la maquina

Kerby from Self Employed

Great VPN server

I've had a absolutely wonderful experience with Openvpn. They have client apps for every platform. They will help you setup exactly what you need for your project.

Pros

Worried about who is monitoring your data. Then make your own VPN. Super fast super easy. Openvpn is great they have the software for every end of every platform. Very easy to install and very good help section.

Cons

There really is no cons. They put you in control of your data. It doesn't get much more secure than that. No worrying if your data is being mined and sold.

Juan Carlos from Empower Data

The safe work vpn

We use openvpn in order to conect to the main server on Monterrey. Allaso we restrcted and secured the development of our software just in this specific ip so we havent any hacing or leaking information this way.

Pros

Easy to use in order to safe guard my enterprize data. Nice handlying of the IP it dosnt change even that already has pass several months. Easy scalability we had at the beging just a max amount of 20 mbs now we can support 40mbs

Cons

Teach ll my comrads how to setup was a litle bit tricky but ater that initial setup everything flows well

Jeremy from Conductor

Very secure VPN

Overall I have a very positive experience with OpenVPN, I have not had any technical issue or noticed any bugs since onboarding with them.

Pros

Working with proprietary data means that we need the best security possible to access our network - OpenVPN makes this extremely easy to do this without worrying about network security when we are not in the office.

Cons

Setup can be improved to be more simple but I understand the amount of security it must take to make sure it runs properly - our IT team was able to help us through this.

Very secure way to connect to enterprise network

We use OpenVPN to let our employees connect with their laptop to the network at the office.

Pros

Open source, using state-of-the-art security protocols to connect to a remote network. Regular updates to stay up to date with the latest version of the different security blocks.

Cons

Not always easy to troubleshoot connection problems because error messages sometimes don't give a clue of what configuration setting is wrong.

Fast and easy VPN access

It's a free and simple VPN everybody can use easily without and connection problem as long as good config files.

Pros

Easy access to 3rd party remote servers in any region. You can use OpenVPN on PC and smartphone. The only thing you need is adding config file into program directory and then run it. It's that much simple.

Cons

There is nothing to complain about. You only need good quality of config file.

Sanel from Infinite Software Solutions Inc.

OpenVPN Access Server - Depends On User

Provides excellent service especially per cost.

Pros

Easy enough for most users to understand how to set up. Pretty secure. Able to use in most settings.

Cons

Users without a stronger technical background will find managing the software difficult. Can be even more complicated in enterprise environments. In event of reconfiguration, a user of stronger technical background is needed.

Robert from Western Mass Training Consorti

Industry: Individual & Family Services

VPN server made easy!

Pros

We have found that having a virtualized software that is used to run on our specialized hardware has been an easy process from the get-go. We have appreciated the many forms of easy deployment - highly recommend this product.

Cons

We have had a few issues when pushing DHCP options to Windows clients but were able to resolve those through the help of customer support.

Chris from Link Solutions, Inc.

Fast and reliable network tunnel

This is a great piece of software that allows for secure browsing with a quick push of a button.

Pros

This was provided to me free with my ISP. I was allowed to securely connect to the internet through this VPN software after a simple configuration process. Fast, painless, and was up within minutes. I was able to use this software on my pc's and my smart devices.

Cons

I did not have any issues with this particular piece of software. The most difficult part was figuring out how to load the configuration on to my smart devices correctly.

Brad from SG Digital

Industry: Gambling & Casinos

Vital VPN software that is available on most platforms!

It is available on everything I use and does the job needed to access the things important to completing work day to day.

Pros

OpenVPN being on so many platforms / devices is incredibly convenient and vital to the work I do, as much of it is behind firewalls. This is running on my desktop PC, laptop and numerous mobile devices.

Cons

It is a little clunky to set up on a new device. It's not a massive hassle but having the option to quickly transfer a profile via something like a QR code would be more convenient.

Tom from CDW UK

Best open source VPN available

I've had no issues with it. Clients connect easily and quickly.

Pros

Have been using this in various environments. Most recently on my home OpenWRT router. It's so easy to set up and configure.

Cons

There aren't many things I dislike. The community version of the client is a little cut back, but this is what you'd expect.

Kevin from SpringAhead

Solid VPN server, does what you need

Easy to setup Virtual Private Networking, generally works without much management.

Pros

Reasonably easy to setup, generally just works most of the time. Price is quite fair for what you get. Overall a good VPN solution.

Cons

Server management interface could use some improvement. Could use improved functionality around audit logging and other related configurations.

Rajesh from Libelle llc

Best for connecting AWS

Very happy and would recommend to others. Very light weight software.

Pros

I use it to connect to the services hosted in Amazon web services. It’s simple and provides steady connection. The user profiles can be saved and hence easy to make connections every time.

Cons

No much cons related to this. It would have been nice if there are more flexible packages for wrt sales based on connections, data transfer, location based etc.

Cost and effectiveness

A (Difficult) reliable solution

I like it and I use it every day!

Pros

1-There are too many solutions for one requirement. Cloud services, virtual appliance, and software packages. 2-very reliable and almost bug-free software. 3-community edition is free

Cons

1-Community edition setup is really difficult and only a professional can install it.

Nathan from Therapractic Management Systems

Works but can be glitchy.

Pros

When it works it works well. I don’t really have to worry about it once connected.

Cons

I may be a bit new to it, but I have had difficulties connecting to my VPN on occasions which has slowed down work considerably. I recently started using an older version of the software that has worked better.

Juan from Negozia Consumer Finance

To implement VPNs is easy and user friendly

I would recommend Open VPN, the payment method (pay for the users you use) is great since you don´t have to be thinking in how many licences you require, and also it is a simple tool to get VPNs with great technical requirements.

Pros

I preferred Open VPN over other options because is a practical way to manage the users who requiring VPNS to access provate networks. To create, erase or update an user is just to enter in the platform and with one click you can do it.

Cons

In some windows computers it is not easy to install it, even having the required windows version but we have been always able to install it.

Akshay from Provensec

We use it daily in the work to connect the server that are located out of the country: Powerful Tool

Pros

Powerful and flexible. Like supports, various operating systems across versions and have seamless conn

Cons

There is nothing I don't like about this software, though some people say that it requires technical knowledge to use it, but it is meant for technical people so, I love Open VPN.

Alafia from Ministerio de Economia y Finanzas

I use it to work remotely from home and to have secure access to the application and database server

Secure connection

Pros

The application is very light at the moment of downloading it and executing it on the PC when installed correctly is very easy to activate

Cons

The installation and configuration are complicated in occasions does not allow an easy access via remote to the enterprise servers

Mauricio from BATechnology Group

One of the best solutions to access any app or website trespassing censorship on your country.

Free and secure access to online resources in my country.

Pros

-Always get updates on security protocols and add new servers to secure user connections. -As an open source product, it's compatible with almost any platform (iOS, Android, windows, etc). The developers' community always adapt this app to newer OS versions. -IT departments have a great product to secure his environments (Hyper-V and VMware ESXi), there are some cloud services that allow VPN configurations like Amazon.

Cons

-For less technical users it's almost impossible to configure the app for every environment. -Configuration guide use technical language, making even harder to fix issues. -Customer Support it's not available via common channels like chat or email, users need to ask about his issues on forums or communities.

Melissa from Salon

Fast connecting VPN

Pros

Like other reviewers have said, the set up is a bit difficult at first but once you get through that, the service itself is fast, secure, and the connection itself is reliable. It rarely drops for me.

Cons

The set up made me struggle. I am a pretty average software user, I'm not too much of a computer whiz so I don't appreciate when the set up is difficult... the UI is also outdated but this is not a major problem for me.

Irfan from DatumSquare IT Services

Best Choice VPN Service

So far so good. I am using it all the time and I have to because I work from home and I need to secure my connection and it is going smoothly. I am happy with it.

Pros

It is secure and especially to access our office servers from home our IT department has set it up and since I am using it I am fond of it. It is really easy and works at an excellent speed. Normally with some of the other VPN Access your internet speed gets compromised but with OpenVPN I have not noticed anything like that so far. I do use it to access the server of a client securely. Configuring OpenVPN is really really easy and it provides excellent security.

Cons

I have not seen much of hick ups so far its just sometimes it takes bit of time in connection but that only happens very very rarely. There is not much of a server range though but as long as it is connected to one server who needs that many number of servers.

Enio from Cartagena Yates

Browse the web and protect your data.

If you are thinking about implementing a virtual private network you can be sure that OpenVPN is a solid, safe and functional choice.

Pros

It offers us a strong encryption and confidentiality protection, so that our traffic is encrypted so that it can not be examined in case of being intercepted.

Cons

It has some difficulty to configure it once installed but with practice it becomes easy. The interface could be more friendly.

Brian from Networks Unlimited

Open VPN

Easy to install, no disconnects, FREE! Using on multiple PC's and servers.

Pros

Free option for site to site VPN. Allows me to connect to a third party remote server.

Cons

No real issues as long as you keep a good copy of the configuration file.

Rosmer from GTP Sistemas S.L

Good tool that guarantees privacy when it comes to protecting our data in the network.

It has been positive since it has fulfilled the requirements for which it was designed, it is efficient and of quality, I recommend it because it is a useful tool in relation to the security of personal and company information.

Pros

What I like most is that it is fast and secure when it comes to accessing content from other countries and protecting our network, especially when financial operations are carried out or simply increasing our security, which is more to install or antivirus, with this we can navigate in a safe way and its price is commensurate and I am really satisfied with this product.

Cons

Sometimes but very few connection errors have existed, however, they have been corrected quickly, the rest is very safe and reliable in relation to the funcinality and guarantee offered by the provider.

Nabil from Inversiones FB 212, C.A

100% recommended

Pros

I have not really used many VPN applications, but it has not been necessary to try too many, because when I found Open VPN I did not have to search anymore, this application does not need to be downloaded, I use it directly in the cloud and it fulfills its function very well. which is to protect my IP in a very effective and free way, I love it.

Cons

It is difficult for me to indicate a disadvantage to an application that does its job very well and also I do not have to pay anything for its use, I really recommend it.

Emmerson from Financial Services Commission

OpenVPN

The need for my users to be able to work securely via VPN

Pros

Very easy to configure and even easier to use

Cons

There were no feature that I did not like

Reasons for Switching to OpenVPN

More cost effective and simpler to configure

Anis from VeloxVPN

Easy to use and functional

Pros

We use this software as a main protocol for our VPN company. It is very easy to use, allows you to offer the services on multiple platforms and is safe.

Cons

It would be good if OpenVPN offered an easier solution for end-consumers, it's pretty simple to set up the VPN configuration for someone with experience. However, first time users usually need to follow helpdocs.

Bartosz from GEOKRAK sp. z o.o.

Industry: Oil & Energy

Free VPN access software available for students and scholars, too!

It has enabled me to work from home, so I didn't have to go to the University to use very specific software. It has been a great experience.

Pros

It has enabled me to use software that my University is using, but from home. I couldn't have done that on my own, because I have to be connected through a special type of server. OpenVPN has helped me very much. I just entered the details that the software "asked me" to and was ready to use the software that I needed. It was really simple - so simplicity is what I like the most!

Cons

Cons in OpenVPN? I don't know if there are any. I didn't have any issues with it.

Rai Aftab from Needle Craft

Industry: Textiles

OpenVPN

Pros

I love this app, its available for Windows PC and For android and iPhone users also can use this app

Cons

its good working and easy to use........

OpenVPN works great and satisfies our needs.

Pros

The things I like most about this software is the price point and the functionality. I specifically chose OpenVPN because it was a free piece of software that is integrated right into my Linksys router. I was able to set this up with little effort and no cost. For occasional use the speed was good and the availability was right.

Cons

What I like least about this software is, as with most free software, you are not guaranteed good service or support. This tool is open sourced and while the community is very helpful, the site is not laid out well and there is no solid support system that I have seen. Avoid this if you don't want a challenge if something goes wrong.

Andrew from Self Employed

User firendly web browser encryption

Pros

This software is easy to use and requires just basic computer skills to setup and run. It will connect your computer and cell phone devices to your VPN service for easy internet browsing encryption.

Cons

When restarting your computer make sure your software is open and connected to your 3rd party VPN service.

Fast Connection!

Pros

It helps me boost my data connection and somewhat helps people connect with it.

Cons

Sometimes servers come crashing down and it affects your connection.

The best VPN Server.

Good service with high security.

Pros

OpenVPN Clint is light weighted and VPN server is easy to configure.

Cons

It is not compatible with some of proxy servers.