All CosmoLex Reviews

Eric

Reviewed March 2020

Practice Management and Accounting in One

One of the biggest things Cosmolex has done for us is allow us to bring out bookkeeping in-house. We went through 3 bookkeeping firms in 2 years and spent huge sums of money for our accountants to undo the mess they made. Our first year end with Cosmolex and in-house bookkeeping was a little rough but that was mostly cleaning up past mistakes.

PROS

The product is generally pretty simple to use. Sometimes you will encounter a quirk that makes you wonder "why did they do it like this?" but once you understand the logic behind it you pick up quickly. The software is updated quite regularly.

CONS

They were purchased by Tabs3 about a year ago and the fact that they are not independent is a little concerning.

Dean

Integrated law firm software

This is a great replacement for PCLaw, with none of the installation issues.

PROS

Cloud-based, good interface. The program integrates with OneDrive and other vendors' products

CONS

Client disbursements don't allow for entering an item list - you have to write it out in one paragraph in the comments box.

Reasons for switching to CosmoLex

PCLaw was causing installation problems with each new version. Also, the formatting for bills was invariably uneven and columns didn't line up.

Aaron

Reviewed March 2021

Time to Switch to a New Service

I regret everyday not simply using Quickbooks and Clio like a lot of other law firms do. We are going to try a demo with a few other products, Abacus and CaseManager, but I really don't think you can go wrong with Quickbooks especially if you want the payroll integrations. We're basically paying twice the price of Clio and other time-management options for accounting software that does not work.

PROS

We liked that it appeared to have a bunch of services wrapped up into one--time-keeping for billing, accounting software similar to Quickbooks with an automatic feed into our accounts, and email archiving/practice management. The time-keeping component works well although you would think it would be easier to do mixed-fee or alternative fee arrangements given that these are the fastest growing in the legal industry.

CONS

The accounting system is a joke. The bank-feed regularly just stops syncing with no notification. We have spent so much time reconciling our books this year as a result of issues that Cosmolex refuses to address claiming its the result of their third-party vendor. We recently needed to transfer a file, and in going to export the emails, we learned that we would need to go into each email, print to PDF, and manually save! When I asked why this wasn't explained in the marketing materials as we would never have used Cosmolex for email storage if we knew that it would require this much work to actually use or access the emails, I was given instructions for how to download the emails from my Outlook account directly. Then why am I paying to use Cosmolex? Lastly, the customer service has been consistently terrible. The chat function used to be helpful--but it appears they outsource it now, and it's no longer a benefit as the users can only refer you to articles. Additionally, we are constantly being told that they will make changes in response to our feedback (and presumably the feedback of others) but the only changes that have been made in the past few years have made the program less helpful. Where were the increased integrations we were promised? Why can't they figure out the syncing with their vendor?

Reason for choosing CosmoLex

The ability to have accounting and billing in one place.

Moyosore

Reviewed December 2022

Overall, I enjoy using Cosmolex.

Superb. I definitely have and will continue to recommend cosmolex to my colleagues.

PROS

On a lighter note, aside from the very important features. I like the soft display interface. It is easy on the eyes, the monthly graph and pie chart is very great for keeping track of income.

CONS

Accounting, but that was an issue with my personal knowledge rather than the software itself. Cosmolex care assisted.

Reason for choosing CosmoLex

There was a great christmas discount for 6 months and the display seemed more user friendly and colourful.

Nikki

Reviewed August 2022

The best legal accounting software I've ever used

Been working with Cosmolex for 2 years now. It is great and easy to use. I wouldn't ever go back to PCLaw.

PROS

It is great and easy to use. It's simple to navigate.

CONS

There is nothing about the software that I don't like.

Reasons for switching to CosmoLex

PCLaw was just so outdated. It's difficult to use and confusing. The customer service was also horrible.

Keeley

Best product

CosmoLex has been a great product for Bing Law. Customer service is beyond helpful.

PROS

Bing Law loves this program. User friendly and easy to navigate through. Beyond helpful for accounting.

CONS

Bing Law would like to see more options in the pull down menus for billing matters and for the case matters.

Reason for choosing CosmoLex

CosmoLex had far more to offer for our office and out needs that Quickbooks could.

Jessica

Legal Services, 1 employee

Reviewed May 2022

Still new to the software but really happy with it!

PROS

I like how easy it was to integrate into my business. I was using a different software before and it was very easy to make the switch.

CONS

I currently have not come across anything that I wish were different.

Reasons for switching to CosmoLex

Looking to grow my business into more of a legal based practice.

Olufikemi

Reviewed August 2023

Very great Practice Management software

It has been very easy for me to create a matter, do my billing and invoicing, and the client portal is a nice touch that makes my clients believe that our office is sophisticated.

PROS

I love the instant live support chat function. It helps a lot when i have absolutely no idea how to navigate

CONS

The pricing is very high compared to the Canadian counterparts

Ulrich

Medical Practice, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2023

Wonderful CosmoLex

My experience with CosmoLex is just incredible. But what a program! Very intuitive and easy to use, it's very practical, especially when it comes to creating invoices. It's the best I've used and I highly recommend it.

PROS

I like this software. It's high quality, as evidenced by the ease with which it ensures compatibility and better billing management. I can propose accounting ideas to my employees after well-done calculations, all thanks to Cosmolex.

CONS

The software works great, no problems to report and no regrets. I highly recommend it

Kristen

Legal Services, 11-50 employees

Reviewed January 2024

CosmoLex for Law Firms

PROS

CosmoLex is a very helpful software to have in a law firm. It has been perhaps my favorite software throughout the handful of law firms I have worked at. The case management feature is great as is keeping tasks available to see in order to follow up on time-sensitive items.

CONS

There really is not much I dislike about CosmoLex.

Noah

Reviewed January 2020

Noah's Review of Cosmolex

Overall, Cosmolex is easier to use than TABS. Certain elements are great, but the slowness of the website and lack of features regarding specialized billing can be frustrating. The single best part of Cosmolex is their customer support staff that is always quick to help.

PROS

The best features of cosmolex are A) The intuitive nature of the platform. The categorization makes sense, and makes searching matters, seeing outstanding balances owed, and viewing trust fund balances easy. B) The accounts payable section is well put together and easy to use. C) Customer service is great.

CONS

I don't like how slow it runs - seems as if the website could run faster, also there are occasionally glitches and I need to close the browser and restart. Also, there is no feature for running bills for outstanding amounts due for clients without billable time for the month, and there is no feature for running courtesy bills for clients with no active time or amount due, but monies in trust.

Reasons for switching to CosmoLex

This was a decision made by our new bookkeeper upon their onboarding as an employee.

Samantha

Legal Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed September 2019

Duped by Cosmolex - Only Cost-Efficient if Solo

I initially recommended CosmoLex because even with the lack of integrations, I found it user friendly. And I still would recommend it to solos who know they will never expand because of ease of use. But if you are a solo who aspires to add staff, a larger or growing law firm, or someone who uses an outside accounting firm, I would say to just use Quickbooks. Transferring after a year because CosmoLex decided to jack up the price considerably is such a hassle, and we want to continue to grow without continuing to worry that we'll outgrow CosmoLex's functionality or that the price will continue to unexpectedly go up. Additionally, our accountant struggled with it, and urged the switch to Quickbooks.

PROS

I actually liked this software for the most part in my first year of use. There were a lot of bugs. For instance, the email linking doesn't actually do anything, you have to manually sort and link emails. This is disappointing because it was basically sold to me as something that you could customize by adding rules like emails from x email address should be sorted to x client. But I otherwise found it fairly easy to use and I liked the functionality of invoicing, etc.

CONS

I am giving this a poor review for the following reasons: (1) Cosmolex is really only price-efficient if you are a solo attorney. When I added a staff member and tried to add another timekeeper, I was told my price was going to effectively double!! As a result I am now trying to switch programs which is a huge headache, but the added costs made Quickbooks actually cheaper and Quickbooks has way more integrations and a payroll feature. (Plus you can find email archiving for FREE if you are a small business that takes care of that functionality for Cosmolex.) (2) They were not upfront about the pricing issues. I was told that the reason it cost money to add this timekeeper was because my previous timekeeper had been "grandfathered in" and that I should have learned about this pretty drastic change in an "update section." First, why wouldn't I have received this in an email? Changing the price and price structure of a product should require actual notice! Second, when I chatted someone to find this "update" they could not find it or direct me to it. (3) The lack of integrations (and the integrations they are getting) is really problematic. For instance, they now integrate with Net Documents, which is pretty expensive. For a product that must be targeted almost exclusively to solos as a result of the pricing structure, that doesn't make sense. Why not integrate with Box or Dropbox? And to not have a payroll integration or to work with existing payroll companies is difficult.

Reason for choosing CosmoLex

Price (at the time cheaper than Quickbooks but not now) and we liked the email archiving (which we have since found through another company for free) and the ease of use (still easy to use but the customer service has gone down considerably).

Hi Samantha, We're sorry to hear that your experience with CosmoLex was poor, but we appreciate your feedback. Please let us know if we can be of any help during your transition process. We regret that our support and training teams were unable to show you our long-standing integrations with Box, DropBox, OneDrive, etc. In regard to our pricing, our customer base ranges from solos to 50-lawyer firms. We respect your opinion and will pass your comments for improvements on to our Client Communications department. We wish you the best.

Replied September 2019

Morgan

Legal Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed July 2016

Billing is great! Case management, not so much.

We are a two attorney firm with one paralegal. We chose Cosmolex for the trust accounting feature. We were looking for a program that could do it all - keep the books and manage the cases.

PROS

I love the billing and trust accounting features. Cosmolex really shines with maintaining the operating and trust accounts separately as well as generating invoices for our billable work.

CONS

The software is cumbersome, taking several clicks to get to information. The features I need most on the case management side are contacts and notes. The contacts drive me nuts! If I'm in Bob Jones' case, I want to see a list of all the other people involved such as other attorneys, witnesses, or other relevant parties. With Cosmolex, one has to go to a separate contacts page and link them rather than entering the information directly into the matter. The note taking feature is improving now that more characters are allowed, but it still leaves much to be desired for those who are answering client calls and wanting to log the information right away. It seems like it would be fine for a transactional practice but it's less than ideal for litigation.

Hi Morgan, I am sorry to hear that while you love the billing & accounting functions of CosmoLex, you are not as thrilled with our case management functions. Specifically, it seems like a lot of your suggestions have to do with our contact management functions . If possible, we'd love to take few minutes of your time offline to go over your specific observations and improvement ideas. Also, we can update you on many of the new features and improvements which are currently in the works. At CosmoLex, our sole focus is to provide our clients with a better product each month and your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Erica Birstler, Manager, Client Services Dept.

Replied July 2016

Joshua

Great for Small Firms

Very satisfied.

PROS

Comprehensive client management, including accounting.

CONS

Sometimes a little hard to use some of the features, but they are always listening to feature requests.

Reason for choosing CosmoLex

PCLaw is not available for Macs.

Reasons for switching to CosmoLex

They did not have all of the features.

Kristal

Reviewed June 2019

We chose Cosmolex because of the accounting feature

PROS

We chose Cosmolex because of the accounting feature along with the other case management features as well as its interplay with Lawpay.

CONS

I would like to be able to search the calendar for a particular name. For example, if I am trying to determine when I met with a potential client, I would like to be able to search their name. To add to this, I would like to be able to add the potential client to the calendar entry when I add a consult so I can search the PC and determine when I met with them. As to the documents, I would like a way to search all the documents in the system. For example, I would like to be able to search for "Motion for Guardian ad Litem" and have all documents with that title, regardless of whose matter it is connected to. I would like to be able to pull matter balances from the app.

Thanks for your feedback, Kristal! We're thrilled to hear that you're enjoying the advantages of an integrated accounting and practice management system. We're always looking to optimize our solution, so please feel free to make a feature request on our support site. Thank you!

Replied August 2019

Heather

Reviewed May 2021

CosmoLex

It saves me time each month on billing and invoicing.

PROS

CosmoLex made going out on my own much easier. I particularly like that I don't need additional software on the accounting side of things.

CONS

I would like an easier method of doing conflict checks. I wish there was a stand alone tab for adding consultations in for conflict check purposes only.

Rebecca

Love it!

Very well. Customer service is excellent. Very user -friendly.

PROS

We swapped from Abacus to Cosmolex a few years ago and its a MAJOR improvement. I love how it is continuously updated to better the program. It is very user-friendly and I love how customizable it is. I also LOVE the upgrade with the new spell check!

CONS

Nothing right now. We are loving the latest updates!

Reason for choosing CosmoLex

This program just fit our office better and we liked the idea of having everything in one place, rather than having a separate program from accounting/client details.

Reasons for switching to CosmoLex

Abacus just was not fitting our needs anymore. The software was not user-friendly. We also wanted something that was internet-based, that way it could be accessed from anywhere.

Wendy

Reviewed June 2019

The accounting is very easy to use which saves time.

It helps all of our staff stay on the same page and everyone knows what is happening in each case.

PROS

I like that the program has both accounting features and has the ability to hold all of our client's information in one. The accounting features are very easy to use. The support videos are very easy to use and if I need to speak to anyone they usually call the very same day.

CONS

I would like the calendar to be able to send emails to all of the attorney's as right now when I calendar an event in one attorney's calendar it will not let me send him/her a reminder unless you put the event on another person's calendar. The point of putting stuff on the calendar is so they see the event and they have reminders

Hi Wendy, thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your comments.

Replied August 2019