All Expensify Reviews

Nasko

Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees

Reviewed March 2022

Save Time and Money by Using Expensify

Overall very happy with Expensify as a solution that allows me to have all my expenses organized in one place. Would highly recommend using it, especially for its feature that allows me to attach digital images of the receipts to each expense item. It has a great option to submit and send expense reports to multiple people. If you are using Expensify across mutliple users, all the information is easily accessible by every team member.

PROS

A great solution to keep all my expense reports in one place, with a great option to attach PDFs of receipts and/or images of receipts. Expensify can pull data directly from my credit card statements and that feature alone saves a lot of time of manual entering numbers and vendors.

CONS

It can get a little too much to configure in the beginning and navigating down to expense categories is not the easiest to do - it takes time to find things around that I could customize but once these are all in place, using Expensify is fairly easy. Expensify creates automatic names for your reports - make sure you change them to something that makes sense to you and your accountants or everyone will wonder what Expense Report 234902u5435242ewd is for.

Reason for choosing Expensify

Expensify allowed me to start using it immediately, without having to wait for multiple approvals and reviews by other members of our team. The main complaint was that our credit cards were already generating a report (not true! they generate a statement!) but those statements didn't allow attaching digital images of receipts and expenses.

Rebecca

Non-Profit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Reviewed September 2022

Expensify - The Easy to Use & Manage Expense System

PROS

Expensify has a great UI for users and is a very easy system to manage. It's easy and fast to submit and approve expense reports, including when staff are traveling. Expensify is so much simpler than some of the other expense management software (e.g. Concur). Some Finance Teams seem to think that going with a more complex software. However, I've found that while Expensify does not have as many "lock down" features as other software, allows us to easily manage expenses and move things forward quickly. When you balance administrative features and user UI/expense management, I would always go with the latter. Getting those expense reports is the most important, and Expensify makes that easy and simple!

CONS

Expensify's largest drawback is their customer service. For smaller companies at least, there is no account manager and we can only receive support via chat/email. This can be a huge challenge when the integration breaks or something complex needs to change.

Reasons for switching to Expensify

Concur was very expensive and had too many features for our size company. Concur was also not user friendly at all and was very difficult to navigate. Expensify was a great replacement and we've been happy since our switch 4+ years ago.

Reviewed January 2018

Expensify overcharges for their "Corporate" platform and becomes useless once your bank feed breaks.

Was ok and saved time, before it broke.

PROS

Ease of launch, mobile app works decently well. Onboarding support was decent, but sadly short-lived. They still offer monthly pricing. If you're tempted to try their Corporate or higher plan, DO NOT sign on to their annual pricing plan, see below for why.

CONS

Google "expensify known issues". Review the list of the corporate cards that they don't support. Be aware that they are not disclosing the many other corporate cards that their platform doesn't support. If you're lucky enough to use one of the corporate cards that they are currently supporting, be aware that their connection to your bank feed can break at any time. Generally, this will happen after your promotional period has ended and after your onboarding support contact has moved on. Once the bank feed breaks you're left with only chat support, which will take an average of 12 hours or more to respond to you. When chat support responds, it's clear that they are pasting from support scripts that have no relevance to your situation. Most responses will assume you're on a Team plan, and initially offer troubleshooting steps aimed at those clients. You'll have to explain that you're a Corporate client. Once you explain this, you'll wait another 12 hours for a response from someone who hasn't read the prior communication chain and you'll have to explain yourself again. this sort of back-and-forth goes on for some time. Eventually you'll get them to admit that the only work-around for a broken corporate card bank feed is a manual CSV import through each individual's account. Don't expect any meaningful response or acknowledgement if you bother to question the fees you're paying for broken corporate access. They will not listen and will not offer any discount or refund.

Hi there, thank you for leaving your feedback! I apologize for the issues you've run into but definitely want to clarify a few things: Re: corporate card connections. Bank connections may break for any variety of reasons, including (but is not limited to) bank maintenance, connection issues, changes in usernames/passwords, and more. Unfortunately most of these are out of our hands, but we do keep an updated list of known issues here: https://docs.expensify.com/setup-for-submitters/advanced-configuration-for-submitters/bank-import-faqs-and-known-issues. Re help responses. We definitely don't want to have you waiting 12 hours for a response and it doesn't help that there are a lot more help requests coming in at the end/beginning of a month around billing time. I've let the team know of your concerns and will continue to improve on our response times, especially during busy periods. Thanks for bringing these issues to our attention!

Replied January 2018

Gregory

Computer Software, 1 employee

Used monthly for less than 12 months

Reviewed January 2024

Simplifies a painful process

PROS

Once you've got the hang of using it, Expensify will make managing expenses simple. I've done the same thing with paper, spreadsheets and Concur and the experiences were terrible and mistake ridden. Just put everything through expensify and forget about it. If you've missed something or have an action to complete expensify will get in touch to prompt you with clear instructions.

CONS

There is a bit of learning curve. I find the UI quite sparse and until you get the hang of what is where it's not always clear how to complete tasks with it. I have found that once you have learned what you're doing though, you don't foget because it's not actually that complicated.

Reasons for switching to Expensify

To get a better product for a better price

Cody

Entertainment, 51-200 employees

Reviewed May 2022

Simple to Deploy, Easy to Maintain

From the accounting team to the newly hired sales exec, feedback from employees has been very positive with Expensify. They can use the mobile app as they go, or other import methods to make their expense reports quick and easy. Everything is directly connected to NetSuite, our ERP, and flows smoothly to the books without any extra steps. Approval routing is very simple and reminders get sent to keep things moving along.

PROS

Expensify is a very streamlined tool and does not get bogged down in high degrees of complexity which may be unnecessary. I have found all types of users at my company, from sales execs to marketing coordinators, understand how to use Expensify almost immediately. We provide a 1-pager for best practices to employees and that, in nearly all cases, is enough to get them using the tool without issue.

CONS

The corporate card integrations could use a bit of added support when it comes to receipt imports, and occasionally we have had the direct feed from our banking institution break. I think this is likely because we do not use one of the major banks for our corporate credit card though, so the issue may not be on the Expensify side.

Reason for choosing Expensify

Expensify seemed much easier to implement, was cheaper, and I had witnessed it working smoothly at other companies in the past. In extremely large company environments it may be possible that Expensify could lack some of the deeper customizations of competing tools, but for the vast majority of businesses this ticks all boxes while remaining highly user-friendly.

Nate

Legal Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2019

Expensify Expense Tracking

I originally used this software because it was the most straight forward "fool proof" software that allowed me to manage and track several employees travel expenses and business mileage and keeping it as simple as possible for the employees. By implementing this software into our expense tracking, our employee's no longer have to worry about paperwork and keeping track of physical receipts so long as they take a picture of it in Expensify.

PROS

The feature that won me over is the softwares ability to extract the necessary relevant information from a picture of the receipt and its reliability to accurately create an expense entry automatically. The other feature that really stands out is the dedicated email address you have to send receipts to the app. This feature is great because of rules i have established in outlook so that any "receipts" from certain companies automatically gets forwarded to my Expensify account.

CONS

Occasionally, when I was trying to submit a few large reports the app would freeze up on me. Otherwise I cannot think of any negative experiences I have had with Expensify.

Reason for choosing Expensify

Reliability and accuracy. pricing, ease of use, ability to customize to your specific needs.

Reasons for switching to Expensify

pricing, ease of use, ability to customize to your specific needs.

Mohamed Salah

Management Consulting, 2-10 employees

Reviewed February 2023

A Comprehensive Review of Expensify - An Essential Tool for Businesses

Expensify has been a great tool for our business and has helped us to quickly and easily manage our expenses. The user interface is intuitive and the reporting features are great. However, we have had some challenges with customer support and the cost can be quite high for larger businesses.

PROS

Expensify is an incredibly easy to use, user-friendly expense tracking and management system. It has an intuitive interface and allows us to quickly and easily track and manage our expenses. The reporting feature is also great and makes it easy to generate reports for our clients and other stakeholders. Overall, it has been an invaluable tool for our business and I would highly recommend it!

CONS

While Expensify does have some excellent features, the customer support can be quite slow and unhelpful at times. Additionally, it can be quite expensive for larger businesses with many users.

Reasons for switching to Expensify

Expensify stands out among its competitors due to its user-friendly interface, comprehensive reporting features, and ability to track and manage multiple expenses. Additionally, it integrates with other popular software programs, making it easy to sync data across multiple platforms. Expensify also offers excellent customer support, making it a great choice for businesses of all sizes.

Laura

Investment Management, 11-50 employees

Reviewed August 2020

Smoothest expense reporting software ever

Overall, everything has been good with Expensify down to the coding for my purposes. Users like that it literally creates a report they get paid for almost immediately without them having to nag accounting. It's a win win for everyone and well worth the cost per user.

PROS

The ease of use for our employees is great and very intuitive. I can make changes on the fly to reports if another user doesn't have it quite right for accounting purposes. It categorizes everything including mileage right where it should be.

CONS

Integration with our accounting software would probably be very easy if I could get higher ups to agree (They worry it might not flow correctly). I do have to take some manual steps to make that happen - otherwise there is nothing I want to add to the Con List.

Reason for choosing Expensify

We did not have the credit card usage that Concurent was well known for. The Excel version of reporting still wasted a lot of man hours to handle. Expensify was the best of all three choices hands down. Not looking back!

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Reviewed May 2020

Good Product - Truly Awful Onboarding and Support

While the product is good if you don't have any complications, the onboarding and support are probably the worst I have ever experienced. After a brief training session, there is no longer any phone call support allowed (only email and chat and the delays could be many hours and often days). More recently with the COVID-19 situation, their usage has plummeted so they recently announced a doubling of pricing (100% increase) to all users if they don't switch to using their credit card which for many companies (including ourselves and including reasons like the cc syncing problem) will not work. The message about the price increase was hidden in a very very long email from the CEO titled something about support improvements.

PROS

It is easy for the end user to use, particularly given the mobile app. It has a lot of good controls and notifications for potential user errors or abuses.

CONS

The credit card sync features often don't work or are significantly delayed (days, weeks if at all) which causes unintended reimbursements for non reimbursable expenses and messed up accounting.

Reason for choosing Expensify

It seemed to have the controls and ease of use that we needed and it charged per active user per month rather than a per expense report submitted which fit our needs well.

1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed December 2020

Absolutely a joy to use

Expensify makes it easy for employees to submit timely reimbursements, whether from their phones or the browser. On the other side, Expensify also makes it very easy for the expense administrator to approve reports.

PROS

The UI is so snappy and intuitive to use. Uploading receipts, finding what category to use, finding out if your expense is over budget--the UI tells you all exactly where you expect it.

CONS

This isn't inherent to the product itself, but I found customer support difficult to deal with. When I ran into a bug where the reports I had previously submitted disappeared, I had to wait a few days before they got back to me via email and their first question was basically "are you sure you had submitted them before?"

Reasons for switching to Expensify

Concur's UI is very slow and was very difficult to use.

Joe

Management Consulting, 11-50 employees

Reviewed November 2020

Long time user

Overall, I would steer clear of this platform now there are better, cheaper alternatives. They do not hold up their end of the agreement and also have an archaic pricing model.

PROS

Up until they violated the terms and conditions, the platform was useful and filled our need to reduce/eliminate excel sheets for expense tracking

CONS

There are four things about this software that any potential purchaser should know: 1. Privacy doesn't matter to them. They violate their own privacy policy by sending out non-product related information to their customer base. This violates the agreement that they make you sign. 2. It is expensive. Unless you use the credit card, they charge you a lot. They also sent credit card applications to my entire company without my knowledge. 3. No useful customer service. Their customer service is almost non-existent. You cannot call them. You cannot email them. You are forced to use their concierge function that is essentially useless. 4. It takes 3 -5 days to receive reimbursements after approval.

Reason for choosing Expensify

Concur was very expensive. Expesnify was a little cheaper.

Reid

Oil & Energy, 51-200 employees

Reviewed October 2022

Go-to Expense Reconcilliation for wide spread and remote working mid-sided companies

Overall the software is pretty good, and comparable to many direct from Banking institution programs, with the added funtionality of being able to claim reembursement for out of pocket purchases. Outside of the software itself, I would caution that the company has used used the software and associated email communications as a platform expressing their social and political views which is rather unbefitting and could be off-putting to parties who may not prescribe to the same views.

PROS

Software features multiple ways of uploading receipts and Coding spends for expenses. Application AI is very good at autmatically assigning cost codes and verifying receipts to actual spend backups. Software also allows for modification of these auto-entries in case of recoding requirements and the mobile app is very easy to use. Attachemnts are drag and drop on the Browser portal, and mobile device attachement is integrated in to OS gallery lookups. they have a good system for flagging un-filled required fields wbefore allowing the spend reports to be transmitted for approval by the designated approver.

CONS

Bank feed syncing can be delayed and charges do not appear for a few days; especially with Canadian banking services even with Tier 2 banks like HSBC. Some sysnicn issues arise between the mobile app and the browser portal if the app is left open on the mobile device - the system lags out and does not save some of the information which then requires re-entry. Fortunately this is flagged as part of how the software works so is not missed if lost, but still requires to be re-entered.

Reasons for switching to Expensify

wanted to integrate personal business expense reconciliation and eventually made it very easy for a Banking Change

Liza

Renewables & Environment, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed June 2022

An innovative approach to uploading expense receipts of all kinds, preparing and reviewing claims

We upload all expense receipts to their form by Expensify, so none of them are lost and administrators can review them and issue payment orders instantly and within specified periods. I enjoy that Expensify helps us reduce expenses and stay within budget.

PROS

I enjoy Expensify's easy-to-use design and clear tools. I enjoy that I can easily upload receipts and invoices via the mobile app. Expensify automates data dumping and saves the original document. Expensify's features make submitting and reviewing expenses easy, and Expensify cards let me track and approve employee expenses promptly. I love that the website makes it easy to locate spending categories, amend them, remit expenses, and look for abnormalities. Expensify isolates and categorizes spending calculates taxes and fees separately, and puts it all into one report, making audits and approvals quick. The notification system tells you of revisions to your submitted reports or accounting department inquiries, allowing you to respond directly and avoid delays in receiving payments.

CONS

Expensify is straightforward to use at all levels, although downloading receipts through a phone app, especially handwritten ones, can be slow and error-prone. Checking all entries before delivering reports is necessary to avoid making mistakes that delay approvals and cash.

Matt

Retail, 11-50 employees

Reviewed October 2019

Expensify for Ecommerce

My overall experience with Expensify has been top notch. It really has helped our company become organized and has completely streamlined our expense tracking with ease.

PROS

Expensify is hands down the best expense tracking choice for our company. There are a lot of pros to Expensify. Their customer service is amazing, always responding quickly and answering my questions in a very understandable manner. Their app is what we use most, it's simple and easy to use - having every feature you'd every need for tracking expenses. I've also done some research on their company culture and it seems like they really invest into their employees lives. This definitely looks like a great company to work for.

CONS

There aren't many cons for Expensify. But if I had to choose something, it would be that the app doesn't real-time-sync with the admin system, you have to manually re-sync when something changes. For example: When the admin adds a new expense category, it doesn't show in the app right away unless the user manually "syncs". At the end of the day, this really isn't that big of a deal.

Reason for choosing Expensify

When researching different expense tracking companies, most websites were completely outdated with little to no reviews. After discovering Expensify, it was a no brainer after seeing their quality of excellence.

Raad

Consumer Goods, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed April 2023

Simplify the management and documentation of spending operations effortlessly

with Expensify , we Get automatic payment notifications and accurate spending reports, which enable appropriate corrective measures by management.

PROS

with Expensify Access all necessary tools and records easily, automate spending procedures, and facilitate budget monitoring and evaluation. With the mobile app, scan paper invoices and request approval for increased spending limits within minutes. Expensify also provides flexibility in payment processes by accepting credit card and bank transfer linking, eliminating the need for additional paperwork or switching between platforms.

CONS

The intuitive design of Expensify makes it easy to use, without encountering any difficulties.

Victoria

Pharmaceuticals, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed August 2023

Powerful and versatile expense management software.

Expencify is a very easy to use platform with a lot of features.It helps me keep track of expenses in my department and prevents overspending.It allows me to keep a live and controlled budget and saves me time in analyzing expenses and receipts.It allows me to keep track of our employees' expenses with a corporate card and avoid unnecessary expenses.

PROS

What I like most about Expencify is the receipt scanning feature, it allows me to extract the relevant information from each receipt just by scanning it with my phone.It also saves me a lot of time by categorizing my expenses for more complete tracking.It integrates with other accounting and expense platforms, which helps to maintain more complete control over what each employee or department spends.

CONS

It is a powerful and versatile expense management software that has no weak points, it works very well.

Jany

Accounting, 11-50 employees

Reviewed May 2018

I love Expensify!

Save tons of time for reviewing, approving and reimbursing to employees.

PROS

It saves employees a lot of time and hassle on doing the paper work including keeping the receipts. Employees only need to take a picture of the receipt and submit with their phone. It is easy and timely. If expenses are not submitted immediately, at least the scanned receipts are kept in Expensify for employees to submit anytime later. With the feature of the scanned receipts, no more keeping the stack of paper receipts!

CONS

Syncing Expensify with accounting software (Xero) in order to get a complete and updated customer list is not 100% there yet. A lot of times, we couldn't submit an expense marking billable because the customer is not available in the drop down window in Expensify. This requires accountants like us to do extra work in accounting software (Xero) to fix the entry.

Sally

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Reviewed December 2019

Expensify is pretty good

Overall I think Expensify is a solid product but I do believe they would do well to add a lot of functionality from an administrator / accounting perspective.

PROS

I like the ease of loading receipts and drilling down into an expense report to find the data I need for accounting purposes. I like the user interface. It's extremely easy to add a new user and our new users never really have questions so I think the users find it e