What are Expensify users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Expensify software through verified user reviews

• icon"There are a lot of pros to Expensify. Their customer service is amazing, always responding quickly and answering my questions in a very understandable manner."
  • icon"Thanks to this app is super easy for employees to keep track as you can take photos and add the expense super easily from your phone."
  • icon"This software has a great user interface (beautiful design), is very user-friendly and easy to use, and is very useful when filing expenses at work."
  • icon"It is confusing because they use a lot of icons. Makes it hard to realize what is what at first."
  • icon"Last night Expensify sent a political spam email to all our employees. Unprofessional and abusive use of customer data."

Browse all Expensify Reviews

• Have you used Expensify and would like to share your experience with others?

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

Simple and intuitive

Happy User from 2 Companies

Easy, important, I like to see when my employers have this.

Pros

It is easy to use as an employee, I assume it is easy to use as an admin because I always got expense pay back on time.

Cons

Nothing, I have only good things to say about Expensify.

Lina

July 2022

Excellent product with great capabilities to optimize expense report

Improved workflow and easy to manage organizations spend with excellent reimbursement system.

Pros

Quick to scan receipt and upload via mobile and track expenses, collect and pay bills all in one place. Great automation that saves time and easy to synchronize with accounting system.

Cons

Nothing to dislike. Easy to customize and quick to scan and capture information to generate expense report.

Nate

Expensify Expense Tracking

I originally used this software because it was the most straight forward "fool proof" software that allowed me to manage and track several employees travel expenses and business mileage and keeping it as simple as possible for the employees. By implementing this software into our expense tracking, our employee's no longer have to worry about paperwork and keeping track of physical receipts so long as they take a picture of it in Expensify.

Pros

The feature that won me over is the softwares ability to extract the necessary relevant information from a picture of the receipt and its reliability to accurately create an expense entry automatically. The other feature that really stands out is the dedicated email address you have to send receipts to the app. This feature is great because of rules i have established in outlook so that any "receipts" from certain companies automatically gets forwarded to my Expensify account.

Cons

Occasionally, when I was trying to submit a few large reports the app would freeze up on me. Otherwise I cannot think of any negative experiences I have had with Expensify.

Reasons for choosing Expensify

Reliability and accuracy. pricing, ease of use, ability to customize to your specific needs.

Reasons for switching to Expensify

pricing, ease of use, ability to customize to your specific needs.

Margaret

August 2022

Good enough.

It works fine, but It could be more flexible.

Pros

I like it because my users like it. They find it to be easy and quick to use.

Cons

From an admin perspective, I find expensify to be good but not great. I wish it had more flexibility with regard to approval flows.

Reasons for choosing Expensify

I didnt choose it, I inherited it from my predecessor.

Cody

May 2022

Simple to Deploy, Easy to Maintain

From the accounting team to the newly hired sales exec, feedback from employees has been very positive with Expensify. They can use the mobile app as they go, or other import methods to make their expense reports quick and easy. Everything is directly connected to NetSuite, our ERP, and flows smoothly to the books without any extra steps. Approval routing is very simple and reminders get sent to keep things moving along.

Pros

Expensify is a very streamlined tool and does not get bogged down in high degrees of complexity which may be unnecessary. I have found all types of users at my company, from sales execs to marketing coordinators, understand how to use Expensify almost immediately. We provide a 1-pager for best practices to employees and that, in nearly all cases, is enough to get them using the tool without issue.

Cons

The corporate card integrations could use a bit of added support when it comes to receipt imports, and occasionally we have had the direct feed from our banking institution break. I think this is likely because we do not use one of the major banks for our corporate credit card though, so the issue may not be on the Expensify side.

Reasons for choosing Expensify

Expensify seemed much easier to implement, was cheaper, and I had witnessed it working smoothly at other companies in the past. In extremely large company environments it may be possible that Expensify could lack some of the deeper customizations of competing tools, but for the vast majority of businesses this ticks all boxes while remaining highly user-friendly.

Lanell

June 2022

Makes life so easy

I love Expensify I take care of a bunch of IT guys and to explain when they are new on how to do things right they catch on and makes life easy

Pros

that I can type in multiple receipts at the same time, that travel is easily documented

Cons

that it gets confused on why I am sending something to be approved to another person other than my normal person

Ritchie

You get what you need

Expensify makes financial reports easy to get together and submit for approval. It aligns credit card expenses, so you can avoid fraud charges, and lets you upload all receipts to have them in the same place.

Pros

I like that Expensify makes tracking costs from credit cards very easy. It pulls the data in right from a connected credit card, lets you upload receipts from mobile, and makes it easy to gather the information into reports for admin review.

Cons

There are a lot of features and it requires more thought to get set up than other software. You need to train users and make sure that the credit card is set up correctly. Sometimes the credit card disconnects, which can be a pain.

July 2022

Expensify is great for start ups that need to be nimble

Pros

I liked the mobile app accessibility and ease of use the most

Cons

Integrations. It would be much more convenient for them to integrate with commonly used vendors.

Ze

July 2022

Expensify is easy to use

Pros

Very easy to upload receipts to claim expenses. i can also review reports and edit as needed

Cons

It was really easy to use and linked up so I didn't have many issues at all.

Richard

It's fine

We used this at another company but The [SENSITIVE CONTENT] sent us a political email during an election year so our boss decided to find another company to use.

Pros

I liked the auto scanning of receipts which you can submit via email or upload

Cons

The expense report naming format is a little confusing.

Carolyn

expenses

Pros

easy to use and can upload expenses in different ways

Cons

not much to dislike easy to use and upload to app

Isaac

Industry: Executive Office

Great Expense Report Software for Small Enterprise

I used this software extensively in a previous position, both as administrator and user. For a small organization, this is an excellent expense reporting software product which will easily allow you to go 100% paperless. All receipts are uploaded digitally and you can take photos of receipts on your phone and upload them onto the app (which is a great app). Once submitted, the routing is very nice and you can track the progress and make modifications if it is kicked back to you. The implementation was very smooth and we were able to incorporate everything we needed, including our chart of accounts, into this product. All of our employees loved it and it is especially useful for organizations who either have a lot of people traveling or who have employees in geographically dispersed locations. We had employees living in very remote parts of the world and they were able to capture all of their expenses and submit reports from anywhere as long as they had an internet connection. The product integrates very well with all of the major credit cards so no issue there. I don't think this product will integrate with your accounting package but I don't think you would expect that from a product of this nature or price range. Expensify is hosted on the cloud so no worries about installation and the implementation process went very smoothly for us. Their customer service wasn't spectacular but this product type and cost is such that someone in house should be able to manage everything and you wouldn't likely need to contact them for anything. The product is priced on a PUPM basis and the rate is very reasonable. I highly recommend this product to any company that doesn't already have an expense reporting feature as part of some larger ERM product. You will not be disappointed!!

Pros

Ease of use and implementation, low monthly cost which can be scaled as you add or remove users, completely paperless system and ability to take photos on your phone and upload them to the app, and ease of routing and tracking.

Cons

You will not get a lot of customer support and it doesn't integrate well into other applications. I don't think you would expect this of a product at this price though.

Response from Expensify

Thank you for the thorough review, Isaac! Apologies to hear our support is not as fast as you'd like, this is something we're heavily investing our resources on and you should see faster response times soon! In terms of integration, please let us know at help@expensify.com if you're looking for something in particular. For a full list of our current integrations (including QBO, QBD, Xero, etc), check out https://use.expensify.com/all-integrations/. Have a great day, and thank you again for leaving us a kind review! We're so glad we're making expenses easier for you and your team!

Replied February 2017

Nasko

March 2022

Save Time and Money by Using Expensify

Overall very happy with Expensify as a solution that allows me to have all my expenses organized in one place. Would highly recommend using it, especially for its feature that allows me to attach digital images of the receipts to each expense item. It has a great option to submit and send expense reports to multiple people. If you are using Expensify across mutliple users, all the information is easily accessible by every team member.

Pros

A great solution to keep all my expense reports in one place, with a great option to attach PDFs of receipts and/or images of receipts. Expensify can pull data directly from my credit card statements and that feature alone saves a lot of time of manual entering numbers and vendors.

Cons

It can get a little too much to configure in the beginning and navigating down to expense categories is not the easiest to do - it takes time to find things around that I could customize but once these are all in place, using Expensify is fairly easy. Expensify creates automatic names for your reports - make sure you change them to something that makes sense to you and your accountants or everyone will wonder what Expense Report 234902u5435242ewd is for.

Reasons for choosing Expensify

Expensify allowed me to start using it immediately, without having to wait for multiple approvals and reviews by other members of our team. The main complaint was that our credit cards were already generating a report (not true! they generate a statement!) but those statements didn't allow attaching digital images of receipts and expenses.

Laura

Industry: Investment Management

Smoothest expense reporting software ever

Overall, everything has been good with Expensify down to the coding for my purposes. Users like that it literally creates a report they get paid for almost immediately without them having to nag accounting. It's a win win for everyone and well worth the cost per user.

Pros

The ease of use for our employees is great and very intuitive. I can make changes on the fly to reports if another user doesn't have it quite right for accounting purposes. It categorizes everything including mileage right where it should be.

Cons

Integration with our accounting software would probably be very easy if I could get higher ups to agree (They worry it might not flow correctly). I do have to take some manual steps to make that happen - otherwise there is nothing I want to add to the Con List.

Reasons for choosing Expensify

We did not have the credit card usage that Concurent was well known for. The Excel version of reporting still wasted a lot of man hours to handle. Expensify was the best of all three choices hands down. Not looking back!

Christie

Good Resource

Pros

Our company went from using excel spreadsheets to monitor spending and expense reports to using Expensify once it was launched company wide a year and a half ago. In comparison to the old way of doing things, Expensify is a huge improvement. The software can sync with your corporate card (or personal card, if you'd like) so all your transactions are pulled into Expensify automatically. The only time a manual expense needs to be created is if you paid with cash, used a card that is not synced to Expensify or if you're entering mileage. Entering mileage is my second favorite thing about Expensify. It's very easy and can be as simple as inputting your starting destination and ending destination, and it will calculate the mileage for you. My favorite part of Expensify, however, is the mobile app. It allows you to take photos of receipts right away (especially nice while travelling) so you don't have to worry about collecting receipts and scanning them in once you're back in the office. Another nice feature of Expensify is that you can sort and put filters of your expenses to track category spend. This is very nice for our company as we receive some health wellness benefits that allow u to use X amount of money per year so these filters help us track our personal annual spend.

Cons

There are some features that have limited options for settings. The first example that comes to mind is if you take a picture of a receipt on the Expensify app, it will automatically mark that expense as reimbursable, even if you it's not.

Tiana

User Friendly Interface

Great system to help track employee spending. The credit cards act as debit cards which is good if you’re a company that is trying to not live on credit.

Pros

Minimal learning curve if your team us any experience with expensing items in a software format. You can fix mistakes really easily and there aren’t a ton of buttons to wade through.

Cons

Sometimes new employees need to get reloaded to allow them to bill items to customers. That might be the accounting firm that we work with a fault though.

Reasons for choosing Expensify

Didn’t integrate with Sage Intacct I think.

Reasons for switching to Expensify

We we in reading spending and our largely paper interface wasn’t working

Serguei

Convenient Expense Reimbursement Software

Overall great employee expense reimbursement system for small/midsize business. Easy to use and implement. Would definitely recommend!

Pros

I love using Expensify to reimburse our employees. It is super easy for employees to create expense reports. Expensify also has approval workflows which allows employees to submit their expense reports to their managers for review first before submitting to finance for reimbursement. Expensify is also integrated with our accounting system which allows me to sync expense reports without having to manually enter expenses again. The payout process is also super simple and can be done directly through Expensify by connecting your company's bank account.

Cons

I wish reporting was done easier in Expensify. Creating a report could be tricky (Expensify requires you to use formulas) but overall it is manageable if you learn a few tricks.

Easier to use

Liza

Industry: Renewables & Environment

June 2022

An innovative approach to uploading expense receipts of all kinds, preparing and reviewing claims

We upload all expense receipts to their form by Expensify, so none of them are lost and administrators can review them and issue payment orders instantly and within specified periods. I enjoy that Expensify helps us reduce expenses and stay within budget.

Pros

I enjoy Expensify's easy-to-use design and clear tools. I enjoy that I can easily upload receipts and invoices via the mobile app. Expensify automates data dumping and saves the original document. Expensify's features make submitting and reviewing expenses easy, and Expensify cards let me track and approve employee expenses promptly. I love that the website makes it easy to locate spending categories, amend them, remit expenses, and look for abnormalities. Expensify isolates and categorizes spending calculates taxes and fees separately, and puts it all into one report, making audits and approvals quick. The notification system tells you of revisions to your submitted reports or accounting department inquiries, allowing you to respond directly and avoid delays in receiving payments.

Cons

Expensify is straightforward to use at all levels, although downloading receipts through a phone app, especially handwritten ones, can be slow and error-prone. Checking all entries before delivering reports is necessary to avoid making mistakes that delay approvals and cash.

Dawood

March 2022

A perfect tool for recording, classifying, and reporting on expenses.

He contributed to documenting all expenses, as Expensify worked to speed up the pace of sending receipts and explanations on them and taking approvals, which was taking us a long time in the past. With Expensify, preparing reports and schedules for payments is very easy, and we are able to easily track any unnecessary payments.

Pros

Expensify simplifies the task of tracking the expenses and expenses of the team as well as the daily expenses of the organization as a whole. The receipts are simply scanned, where Expensify extracts data from them and adds them to the schedule of expenses, and sends a notification to the direct official to take approval, which organizes those operations, which used to send us monthly to block a file containing many paper receipts, and send them to auditors who may take a long time Expensify has changed all that, and succeeded in automating all processes, so that sending data, obtaining approvals and sending notifications to pay money is done automatically and without the need to accumulate invoices and files All of them are now stored in the cloud.

Cons

There is nothing worth mentioning, as both the desktop and mobile application are easy to use, the scanning and autofill system works excellently, and the price is good for a subscription that works for everyone.

Good Product - Truly Awful Onboarding and Support

While the product is good if you don't have any complications, the onboarding and support are probably the worst I have ever experienced. After a brief training session, there is no longer any phone call support allowed (only email and chat and the delays could be many hours and often days). More recently with the COVID-19 situation, their usage has plummeted so they recently announced a doubling of pricing (100% increase) to all users if they don't switch to using their credit card which for many companies (including ourselves and including reasons like the cc syncing problem) will not work. The message about the price increase was hidden in a very very long email from the CEO titled something about support improvements.

Pros

It is easy for the end user to use, particularly given the mobile app. It has a lot of good controls and notifications for potential user errors or abuses.

Cons

The credit card sync features often don't work or are significantly delayed (days, weeks if at all) which causes unintended reimbursements for non reimbursable expenses and messed up accounting.

Reasons for choosing Expensify

It seemed to have the controls and ease of use that we needed and it charged per active user per month rather than a per expense report submitted which fit our needs well.

Thomas

Expensify to the Rescue!

Organization. Receipt management.

Pros

I work overseas. Mostly in Europe and my company is based in California. I work for an international charter school organization basically travel for a living while meeting with government entities about educational opportunities. My whole life is expenses. I spend my own money and get reimbursed so it's critical that every receipt, every lunch, hotel, meal, every expense is documented and saved. I'm not the best with money and I struggle with organization on the road. Fortunately, Expensify helps me with both. Every receipt I collect can be instantly scanned and saved. There is no limit to the number which is great because someday's I have in excess of 20 receipts. Expensify tallies my receipts as I go which assures I stay on budget and don't overspend. If I overspend or go over budget I don't get that money back so this feature is critical. My company uses Quickbooks for accounting and Expensify integrates with Quickbooks effortlessly. For those who do not use Quickbooks, rest easy; there isn't a popular (or unpopular) software that Expensify doesn't integrate with. If managing multiple receipts and budgeting is important to you, you MUST give Expensify a try.

Cons

Nothing. Expensify is the most complete travel expense app on the market.

Mohammed

April 2022

A robust system for documenting and controlling expenses

Expensify enables us to document expenses and raise their records to the cloud with ease and smooth audits and approvals within specified dates.

Pros

The great thing about Expensify is that we are able to monitor, document and control all expenses. Through Expensify, team members got rid of collecting paper receipts and then preparing lists and submitting them to the accounting department for auditing and approval. With Expensify, things have become clearer, as each team member independently will be able to scan his invoices to be raised on his own cloud and enter data from them to his expense page, and then the accounting department will be able to audit and notify him of approval or request other inquiries, and by These quick and accurate procedures ensure that no receipts are lost and that you get the money straight away.

Cons

Not a lot of unwanted things, and it does not require a lot of effort on the part of the users to be able to track their expenditures properly.

Matt

Expensify for Ecommerce

My overall experience with Expensify has been top notch. It really has helped our company become organized and has completely streamlined our expense tracking with ease.

Pros

Expensify is hands down the best expense tracking choice for our company. There are a lot of pros to Expensify. Their customer service is amazing, always responding quickly and answering my questions in a very understandable manner. Their app is what we use most, it's simple and easy to use - having every feature you'd every need for tracking expenses. I've also done some research on their company culture and it seems like they really invest into their employees lives. This definitely looks like a great company to work for.

Cons

There aren't many cons for Expensify. But if I had to choose something, it would be that the app doesn't real-time-sync with the admin system, you have to manually re-sync when something changes. For example: When the admin adds a new expense category, it doesn't show in the app right away unless the user manually "syncs". At the end of the day, this really isn't that big of a deal.

Reasons for choosing Expensify

When researching different expense tracking companies, most websites were completely outdated with little to no reviews. After discovering Expensify, it was a no brainer after seeing their quality of excellence.

Worst customer service

the software when working is great but the customer service is the worst I have ever worked with in the world and they don't care about paying clients

Pros

easy to track expense connects with stripe to invoice easy to mark paid

Cons

when a problem happens customer service does not exist problems can last over 1 month no credit for the system not working they want customers to fix issues that are their problem no managers in the company

Reasons for choosing Expensify

look of expense report and connect to stripe

Expensify