• Pros

• "The product has a lot of features that made the implementation in the first year wonderful. The support staff was great and easy to access. Ease of use, reporting, billing features"

• "Works great and is very easy to use even for team members that are technology challenged. Tech support is amazing so quick to reply and great! "

• "the information is very accessible. the program is pretty easy to use. has reports that are very helpful and I don't think I use the program to its fullest potential"

• Cons

• "Customer service is good, but wait times are sometimes long."

• "There are a lot of predefined reports and filters, but we wish there was more customization available, such as a report writer feature."

• "The only down side is that sometimes the integrations need to pushed manually. This applies to demand force and the Office tools portal."

Browse OfficeTools Reviews

Lyndsey from Foudy CPA Group, P.C.

Office Tools has streamlined our office, we now only use 1 program where we used to use three.

Everything is in one place. I can track the progress of projects that co workers are doing, so when someone calls and can tell quicker where we are on there return or other accounting service.

Pros

Can add To Do's in program for reminders to do several things. Keep track of appointments easily. Documents are easy to find. Can add notes about clients. Can track status of projects and set due dates. Can send documents out for esignatures securely and its easy for clients to sign and return.

Cons

Wip and A/R balances don't match from end of month to beginning of next month. When adding Wip to invoices, system writes off balance to zero instead of showing profit if billed amount is still over the amount of WIP on bill. Documents for business clients is harder to sort, employees like to have folders.

Cathleen from Accountable Business Solutions

Office Tools "was" the next best thing. Honest review: I have "loves" and "hates"

The portals are easier for my customers to use than my old portal product. Customer service: none unless they can sell you more product or $$. Often times unresponsive. Billing flexibility definitely better than my old product but recurring monthly or quarterly not as automated as I would like. We found the dashboard to be very confusing and counter productive as far as tasks, appointments and to-do items, my staff was still keeping spreadsheets of their projects for clarity. Too many extra steps required to completely clear something from your view of things to do. free-flow document management took a bit to get used to over windows folder structure, but very manageable. We have actually now split into two different products as we wanted beefier document management tools. Calendar connecting with exchange was a hot mess.

Pros

There are a lot of things I love about this software and it was a vast improvement 3 years ago over what I was using. Love: Project tracking, although not as complete as we would like - we have actually left for one that has a more Kan Ban style visual approach, with the ability to tag colored status tags on a project as it moves through the process. Love: Billing: select all time entries related to a project to mark up and bill, or bill all out marked up for a monthly subscription client. Love: ability to link charge card processing both to portal and to invoice. Love - time reports for easy payroll processing. My clients love the portals.

Cons

Hate: document management presentation - must specifically look for emails or notes related to a project: have since moved to a product that has a chat-style interface perfect for a remote workforce. Hate: could never get project reports to print everything I needed. Matter of filters. I will give them the benefit and say perhaps I didn't learn that part well enough. Hate: tech support used to be terrible before they were bought out, has improved but still not great. I may now be really spoiled by the product I moved to - response sometimes within minutes. Hate: BEWARE: their contract has auto renewal without positive confirmation from user. I left them because I spent countless hours with their tech support, and many many $$ in tech support, and by their own admission, it was an issue they were aware of, and nothing to be done about . Now they want to charge me for the entire year and not let me out of it, unless I spend countless more time and $$ to try to resolve the issue that they already know they could not resolve. We have been receiving an error message when logging in for months. They know about it. Yes, you can just click through it and log in, but it is another annoyance that they are aware of yet still want to charge me for an entire year when I have limped through the last several like a dedicated customer. The ability to link my calendar in exchange to that in Office Tools was a deal maker/breaker for me.

Reasons for Choosing OfficeTools

I looked at so many I honestly don't remember which ones three years ago. But it solved several pain points for me at that time.

Reasons for Switching to OfficeTools

better portals, ability to replace three products with one, DMS being windows folder structure rather than some proprietary structure. But at the end of the day, the DMS didn't have the oomph we desired.

Fantastic Software

I think the interactivity of this program makes it a winner and puts it at the forefront of innovating in its industry.

Pros

All client information is available to each member of the team, and viewing the progress of the tasks being completed is very easy. In a virtual environment it has become more important to be able to monitor one another on a team without “micromanaging” and constantly having status meetings, so this is fabulous.

Cons

Sometimes the video tutorials are a bit confusing, so I prefer speaking to someone through the phone support. Reading the articles isn’t as self explanatory as it is made out to be, but this can be different based on who is using this software.

Judy from Stage One Accounting (1999) Inc.

Could be a good product but no customer service to help you realize its potential.

Trying to get answers to specific questions is futile. There is no attempt to identify a problem. They are dismissive if they have never seen it before . As you show them, on your screen, what the problem is and ask for a solution you get - "you need the newest update, that will get rid of the problem" or "it is your fault" or my personal favourite - "that doesn't happen" as they watch it happening on the screen.

Pros

Love the time feature. It is easy to record the time you spend on a file. You can have multiple timers going to track clients that you have stopped working on while you answer the phone, or wait for info from them. Our billings went up 20 % immediately because we were keeping track of our time better. The project management is great as long as everyone is vigilant about tracking their files. It is a constant challenge to get employees to record the movement of a project but constant vigilance and discussion gets the point across to new staff quickly.

Cons

There is no follow up on queries, compliments or complaints. They only call if they want to sell you more. It could be a great product if the customer service was there. Someone that will look at the problems and discuss possible solutions or a work around. But that doesn't happen so thank you Capterra for giving us alternatives to look into.

Reasons for Choosing OfficeTools

Because it was a smaller company and in our time zone. Easy to contact and you could request the people you worked the best with. Unfortunately it was sold to a much larger company and I think that added to the customer service problem.

Reasons for Switching to OfficeTools

Maximizer was becoming more and more a sales persons database and wasn't working for us any longer.

Janet from Pogosian & company, CPA

Great productivity tool but has some issues

It streamlined our business and made every step clear for each team member. The projects flow nicely from one person to next. Especially while we work remotely because of the Covid-19 pandemic, it allows us to work efficiently without missing a beat.

Pros

OfficeTools creators have thought of every aspect of the business and that's what we loved. Any questions that we had "can we do this or can we do that" the answer was yes. You can create projects, assignments, To Do and have it set-up anyway that works for your team. You can use it for marketing emails with groups, etc. Very well designed.

Cons

It has glitches and it takes some time to learn how to use it. For instance, I don't need to use Lacerte, but I had to have it installed so I could use OfficeTools, otherwise, I kept getting error messages. And then, you have to make sure you are logged in to Lacerte every morning or the program won't work properly and the only way you realize that is when you are looking for an assignment or a document and you don't see it - then you inquire from your team and they say "Oh, it's there, I can see it..." then you realize you need to log back in for the software to refresh and show you everything. It doesn't notify you that Lacerte has been logged off. Also, the training module and how it works was a bit confusing for us.

Reasons for Choosing OfficeTools

OfficeTools had more options for projects and assignments. It also works with Lacerte.

Reasons for Switching to OfficeTools

JetPack was a good product for a start, but it doesn't have all the capabilities that OfficeTools offers. We are a growing business and we needed something that allows us to do that.

Terri from Svihla & Associates CPAs, LLC

Long term Office Tools User!

We have been using Office Tools for 12 years now. I cannot imagine how we functioned without it before and would not want to go back to those days. It is a very affordable and very comprehensive product. Also, it is very easy to implement and use. Our need to get support has been rare. Without hesitation, I recommend Office Tools!

Pros

Everything in one place! We have our scheduling, project and deadline management, phone call tracking, time-keeping and billing, and document management all in one place.

Cons

There really is nothing that I don't like about Office Tools. We did try out their client portal a few years ago, and we went to Sharefile to get some added features. But, we are going to go back to try the Office Tools client portal again before the end of the year. I am hopeful it will be a great change for us.

Matthew from Patrice Lincolns Office

Hard to find any other option that's as simple and powerful.

Great office hub.

Pros

70-80% of the features provided are very easy to use and very intuitive. The navigation getting from task to documents to calendar etc is super easy. You feel like a power user almost right away. Documents and the portal system are easy to use and very intuitive. Same with ToDo's, Calls, and schedules. Instant success. Billing is easy at it's basic level but as you get into options and features it can take some time. A fair trade off for the feature set. Time tracking is available for evey screen in the software so that's great.

Cons

They have an amazing base product. They need to stop shooting them selves in the foot on updates, new feature roll out and customer relations. Examples are: 1. Pacific time support hours only. If your on the east coast and you have a problem in the morning, you get to deal with it until 11am. That's a problem. 2. No user community. Facebook and linked in are not user communities. They need to have a place for users to gather, ask and answer questions, and post information about services and updates so users can be informed. 3. Being proactive when there is a system wide issues. Like every software company, things happen from time to time. I have no problem with that. But when it does there should be an e-mail alert to all users and it should be posted in the user community. I should not have to check face book on the off chance something is posted. 4. Loosen control of system variables. The report function, which is very good, hits strong limits when you can only access certain variables from the system depending on the report type. There is no reason to limit access to variables. Multiple reps from inside the company agree with this and have for years, yet no change. 5. Online helps and training. Office tools has some excellent online videos and resources for using their software. But they tend to not be updated regularly and are hit and miss on what they cover and what they don't. There is little consistency in online help. 6. Out of room!!!

Darshan from Walgreens

Number and Data tools for good

Pros

This tool helps me to keep my daily accounting and numbers data practice run on time with so many different features like Clients time tracking, scheduling, processing signatures, mass data sharing, and easily get control on data sharing. In long term it helps us to show that where we are standing when seeing our tax returns at the end of year. Also have a good metrics in terms of dollars of where and how we are spending every day.

Cons

Lots of functions are not used by our company. So they should give an option to the company of what tools will be used based on that payment should be decided. - Canon Scanners (We don't use canon scanners) - Portal not the way we want to organize it or modify it

Dan from The Mumford Group

Office Tools has been a very practice management tool for our firm

Pros

Cons

40% + cost increase for the new year. The Lacerte software integration did not work very well. There are issues that could not be resolved with the multi-firm features of the product

Kristin from Kristin Krauskopf, CPA and Accountant

This is our project management system

Pros

Ease of use and the reports are great. You can customize it to your particular needs. We use it for timekeeping and billing.

Cons

Sometimes have to wait for support as we are in NY and they are in California. I use Demandforce for marketing and coordinating the 3 of us was difficult.

Sandy from Barsa & Company

Disappointed

Support - was a joke in year 1 of our contract. It took at least 3-5 days or more for someone to get back to us. One day I got lucky and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] called me. She is the best asset your company has. She knows how to provide support. I even tracked down someone at the Abacus Next Conference to make sure they knew how valuable she was. Shortly after, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] had to inform me that I was no longer allowed to email her directly and I had to go through the ticket system. I complied with her request and now I'm back to hating your support. I know we are just a little guy in your eyes. I am the type of person when I love something I tell everyone about it. I also tell everyone when something is not right. I could never refer your product. We will be switching to another product as soon as we can.

Pros

Firm has been using for 4-5 years. It has served us well and we use most of the functionality.

Cons

Lack of technology development. When it was announced there was a QB online integration we were very excited and converted. Our 150 clients are on QBO, however we remain on the desktop version due to Office Tools. We then learned it does not integrate with QBO Accountant. We then had to convert back to QB desktop version as it was our only option. We patiently stuck with Office Tools on the belief that the software would continue to be developed and evolve. At this point we wished we had not signed our last 3 year contract. With the signing of the 3 year contract we were given/comped 3 hours for training. When we went to use them we were told those hours had to be used in the first year - WHICH WAS NOT TOLD TO US. I had our sales rep check into it and the "board" advised the hours were expired. WOW was I shocked. I had never been given something from a company that was complimentary to then not advise me that the hours had to be used in the first year. Who ever made this decision just made our final decision for us. We will NOT be renewing our software when the contract ends. Too many disappointments.

Marion from Thompson Tax Associates, Inc.

Fine for us, for now

I can't easily get reports I feel I should be able to get. Such as all clients who came to us in 2020. If that is possible I don't know how. I find the training to be less than helpful. I've watched videos, but they frequently don't look like the product I'm using and never seem to be to the point. If I could easily switch to another product I would likely do so. But my information is captured in Office Tools and I can't get it out and don't want to lose it. So I'm stuck.

Pros

The software does a good job of keeping our database of clients and their personal data. We use the Contacts features, Notes, ToDos, Calls and Schedule features. We do not use the other features such as Projects.

Cons

I think it's expensive for the features we use. I think it is better suited to a larger organization who want communication among users who are not in the same office together. I have difficulty getting out letters and distinct lists of information. If you don't do those tasks very frequently you forget the process and it takes too long. As with every database it take constant and I mean constant updating. In the midst of a busy time we do not have the time to keep the database up to date so every few months I have to give a chunk of time to getting it back to rights.

I don't remember

Reasons for Switching to OfficeTools

I don't remember why we switched. It was years and years ago.

Peter from DP Financial & Tax Inc

Great all-in-one tax office tool!

Having everything needed to help/work on a client at your fingertips in one piece of software. We consolidated 4 programs into one when we moved to OfficeTools. We could FULLY consolidate 2 more if they were reliable and user friendly enough for staff and clients (AIME and the portal). But as it stands we have to have backups for both to function properly.

Pros

The best thing about OfficeTools is the integration of contact manager, schedule, time/billing tracking project management, billing, and documents. There are lots of other features that are included as well but those are the big ones. It's great going to one client and having access to everything you need.

Cons

There are some quirks that you just have to live with, but overall it is a solid piece of software. There are times when support just cannot figure out a solution to a glitch we are having and we just have to wait to see if it will be resolved in a new release. Another thing that is quirky is having to go to another client and then back into the one you are working on the get the system to update. Mostly small little things that aren't that bad and they do seem to attempt to address issues as they go so it is by no means a dead software.

Christine from Mei Wallace & Associates

Office Tools has been great. We can't imagine running things without it.

Office Tools replaced separate document management software, a time keeping/billing software, and a project tracking software. It's streamlined our process and allowed us to save tons of time for billable work.

Pros

The integration of difference functions has been the best part. Having contact info, project tracking, document management and time tracking/billing in one package has made things so much easier and streamlined our process.

Cons

The reporting in general is limited. The inability to combine information types (Contact, Billing, Project, Staff) into a single report is difficult. Currently, we create 2 different reports, export to excel and use formulas to combine the information. Skipping these extra steps would save so much time. Also, allowing a custom recurrence pattern for projects (i.e. every 2 years) would be great. Finally, many clients want to be able to specify a "Billing Only" e-mail address. Right now, I have to make that change manually for those clients each billing run.

akore from ab cpa inc

Saves me thousands of dollars and hours every year!

I used to track projects by emails in my inbox and files on the shelf, constantly putting out fires and dealing with what ever client was "on top of the stack".spending HOURS every day figuring out what I had to get done.....now the minute a project comes in (Via email,mail, or phone) I create a new Project in OfficeTools and I have an easily accessible, up to date task list of EVERYTHING I need to do. And I can assign tasks to staff, so my staff knows what to work on WITHOUT having to ask me. I cannot begin to quantify the dollars and hours this software has saved me.

Pros

The ability to quickly create and add items to a "ToDo list" and assign tasks to staff w/ documents attached (dragged straight from Outlook).

Cons

There is a learning curve - but that is to be expected with such robust software and customer support was great helping me learn features I couldn't figure out myself (since I refused to do the training and like to figure things out myself). Plus, the online tutorials were really great.

Stacey from Huddleston Mckenzie & Associates

Been working with Office Tools for nearly 14 years now

We use Office Tools for our companies billing, tracking time, tracking our projects for our clients and for our scheduling appointments with clients. We have used this product for nearly 14 years and it helps our office run smoothly. We have access to each others schedules and daily tasks. Everything is right at our fingertips.

Pros

I really love that it is user friendly. It really helps keep me on track with my tasks with all the projects that have been assigned to me and when it was assigned. It really helps me not forget about projects. I love all the available reports that you can print. There are reports to help track or Work in process and reconcile our billing and many many more.

Cons

There is not any thing really in particular right now that I would say I least like about the software. I find that if I have an issue with the software I can call technical support and they are always very helpful.

Andrea from Jeremiah K Murphy, CPA Inc

The program has been great at keeping client and billing details accessible.

Ease of reports for billing, client records, staff utilization, accounts receivable which make our office run smoother and more efficiently.

Pros

The numerous reports and ways in which to cater a report to our specific needs. For example, I can create a WIP which shows work by date, or work by employeee, or work by code. These options have all been useful for different needs. The contact lists are also versatile which helps with birthdays, phone lists, contact type lists. Form letters is useful and we have created several this past year catered to contact type.

Cons

There have been issues with the document signature feature; months went by with giant red lettering appearing on the documents, so we could not use that feature; when the feature was fixed with a new upgrade, we were not informed of the upgrade. The email link from Outlook is not reliable and keeps stopping on two of our computers. This feature would save time and keep records straight with our clients, however, we cannot keep it connected.

Alfred from Alfred J. Hackney, II, P.A., CPA

Comprehensive Practice Management Solution

Overall, I've been very satisfied with Office Tools. In the past, I was a member of the firm that developed its own computer-based time and billing system. Office Tools offers all the recording and analysis tools we strove to provide in our package and integrates nicely with document management and contact management.

Pros

Office Tools provides all the elements required to manage my small accounting practice. Contact management, document management, time, billing & collection are seamlessly interfaced. The Office Tools modules that I do not use do not interfere with the use of the elements that I do use.

Cons

it is difficult to find something to dislike about Office Tools. It is sometimes difficult to find where, in the program, adjustments to certain settings should be made. Also, occasionally, it seems that updates are promulgated, of which I do not received notice.

Andrew from Andrew Terry, CPA

I just wanted to drop a quick note to let you all know about exceptional customer service.

Pros

I'm a long time Office Tools user who was MAD when I got my renewal quote. The quote included 2 more users than our small firm has, and I misunderstood it to mean that you only offered the program with a minimum of 5 users.  The initial quote represented a 162% increase over the prior year and I was informed that the Office Tools user agreement, we would lose access to our data once the subscription expired. I immediately went shopping for alternatives.  Long story short, he was willing to work with me despite my very vocal displeasure. He was very professional and took the time to answer all my questions thoroughly, as result he helped you retain a long time customer. FYI, I'm very happy to learn that under Abacus's user agreement, we'll retain read-only access after the expiration of our subscription.

Cons

I do not feel there are any cons worth mentioning at this time, or things I like the least about the software

Jeffery from DaleTax

Software was Valuable to our firm first. But then it became cost prohibitive.

Practice management in one platform.

Pros

I like the document management service. The scheduling software. And I like the notes. We also used the to dos quite a bit.

Cons

The cost. And the fact they update the software year during tax season. Because of the cost, this will be the last year that we will be using Office Tools Pro. Also, the cloud-based features are severely lacking. In order to be able to view your schedule online, you have to have Outlook and an outlook sync subscription with Office tools pro. And even that feature is very clunky and works very rarely. We had many preparers in our office miss Appointments because they did not show up on the outlook schedule on their phones. The only effective way to see appointments was to remote in to the computer to see the scheduling within the program directly.

Suzanne from James R. Minnix, CPA, Inc., PC

Experienced User

I like OfficeTools and will continue using it. I wish they would work on some issues and make it more user friendly.

Pros

I like that it works with QuickBooks and Lacerte. I like the reports that it offers in order to track performance and efficiency.

Cons

I am not happy with customer service. We I have a problem or issue it takes days and sometimes over a week to return my call. I wish it was more user friendly. It can do a lot but it is difficult to figure it out. I would love to use the Pay Now feature but it locks the invoice and you can't add or delete time to it.

Reasons for Choosing OfficeTools

Compatible with QuickBooks and Lacerte and it offered so many features.

Reasons for Switching to OfficeTools

Wasn't compatible with QuickBooks. Didn't offer the tracking and reports that we wanted.

Mike from April Tax Solutions (Canada) Inc.

We've used OfficeTools for last 3 years and find it very effective in our client relations.

Client info concentrated in one area. Easy classification of documents/emails for later retrieval. Accountant info can be specific to Project.

Pros

Projects allow us to ensure that Corporate info, Bookkeeping info and Personal Tax info gets properly sorted. Our use of Outlook Sync also ensures that our Office365 Inbox and Sent folders are captured to client's communication. Many shared documents are quickly categorized allowing for a quick, specific search of information.

Cons

Invoicing module currently only links to Quickbooks desktop for bookkeeping and we've been using Quickbooks Online for past 4 years. Support Team doesn't always comprehend our "real-life" situations and how we need to operate - thus leaving us not able to use OfficeTools to its full potential.

OfficeTools Review

Overall, I've had a satisfactory experience with the product. Gets the job done.

Pros

- Office 365 integration is quite helpful - "Due date" reminders are life-savers - The to-do section helps in personal management of tasks

Cons

- Synchronizing with Quickbooks is only supported for the desktop platform, and not the web platform, which is kind of a pain right now - Integrations with other bookkeeping tools isn't great, like excel for example, which makes collaboration outside your immediate team quite difficult. Please help look into this.

Response from AbacusNext

Replied August 2019

Thank you for your thoughtful review. We're glad OfficeTools helps you work efficiently and that you find the to-do and reminder features useful! You'll be happy to know that we're currently working on an integration with QuickBooks Online, set to release this fall. We appreciate your feedback and hope that OfficeTools will continue to be a trusted part of your practice. Sincerely, The OfficeTools team

Mark from e:countable, LLC

Great product; horrible experience with new owners

Originally used Cloud9 to host all applications, AbacusNext bought Cloud9 and pushed to have users move to APC Cloud. Horrible experience - see reviews for AbacusNext. Also used OfficeTools which was purchased in 2017 by AbacusNext. AbacusNext would not let me renew my OfficeTools licenses because I no longer hosted my other apps on APC Cloud, even though I moved away from AbacusNext legally and ethically. They held me hostage as Abacus gave no prior notice that they would not renew my OfficeTools license. Ended up without a practice management software for 3 months while I searched for and implemented a new one.

Pros

It's a great practice management software for small accounting firms; workflows, reminders, time & expense all good

Cons

When AbacusNext bought out OfficeTools the culture and professionalism went down the toilet.

Richard from BDS Accounting Services Inc.

Generally good - but concerned about the future.

Document/contact management

Pros

Good Product. OTP good service - but only on West Coast Time - need to expand hours . Staff, particuliary Mike G and Jarred F, are great to work with.

Cons

Company bought by Abacus 5/31/17. Sales now handled by Abacus. They want a 3 yr contract!! No upgrades of any kind since Abacus - but price increase and they want a 3 yr contract. Seem to be pricing themselves out of market for small firms. First comments were that I should just pay the increase because of the buyout. I think they should improve my value before raising prices! Three year contract is not competitive! Like the new weekly training classes, hope they will keep these archieved so we can use them for staff training

Office Tools has been a value add to our accounting and tax group. Great product for the price.

Office Tools helps our accounting and tax team stay organized and able to prioritize work without missing deadlines. We use the system to allocate resources to streamline the busy season workload and the workflow to make sure we know the status of every project along the way.

Pros

It is a great way to track project progress and make sure deadlines aren't missed. It is also a simple solution to time tracking, although our firm doesn't use the system for billing purposes, it is helpful in budgeting resources.

Cons

My biggest complaint is that reports can't be exported to Excel, and not every pre-built report has all the data required. Without having a custom report prepared by the developers at Office Tools, you are somewhat limited on reporting flexibility.

Breanna from Abbott & Company

OfficeTools Review

OfficeTools has solved many of the problems that we had prior to the program. Client information can be kept in one program. From the client's contact information to their documents it is all easy to access. We like being able to record their calls, take notes, and create reminders for a specific client. The activity list is a great way for each staff member to keep track of their tasks. We like that we can record almost any interaction with the client so that we always have something to reference or refer back to.

Pros

OfficeTools can be great. Our firm likes that all of our client information can be kept in one program. From the client's contact information to their documents it is all easy to access. We like being able to record their calls, take notes, and create reminders for a specific client. The activity list is a great way for each staff member to keep track of their tasks. We like that we can record almost any interaction with the client so that we always have something to reference or refer back to.

Cons

This software has a lot of bugs and glitches. We have contacted customer service several times due to a bug or glitch and we have had to wait months to get an answer because they weren't sure why the problem was happening. Most features functionality is great, but we feel the documents area is lacking as far as ease of use and functionality go. We also have completely stopped using certain features due to them continuously not working properly such as the eSigntures feature. We also have trouble with our schedule's. Each individual staff member's schedule will occasionally change on its own. Either appointments will be moved or deleted completely.

Ryan from Lincoln Tax - Matthew Lincoln

The software has the potential to be an elite program but it is grossly underdeveloped.

Pros

It has all in one capabilities such as client management, time tracking, billing and payment, reports, scheduling, and document storage. The platform layout is clean and user friendly. The learning curve to its features is low to mid-range which can be credited to it's design functionality. It does utilize some integrations well such as the Dymo label printer and Drop Folders. Overall, calls to Customer Support have been adequate with at least 90% problem resolution. I do have to knock the Customer Support to 2 stars because they do not have any early morning east coast support hours. If I have an issue with Office Tools I have to wait 4 hours to reach anybody on the phone. Half of my day is now gone.

Cons

Communication from Office Tools to its software owners is horrible. Known disruptions in services was communicated after the fact. Software updates are non-existent. As of this review, 10/19/17, there has only been 1 public release update to the software in all of 2017 (v2017.019) and that was in January. That is unacceptable. The Contact Screen has a narrow scope in what it allows for user input. I believe there are only 5 open variable fields that we can alter to collect data specific to our practice. The rest of it is dead white space underneath of it. Software only allows one taxpayer's information to be displayed on the main Contacts screen with the spouse relegated to a "More Contacts" tab. It is more efficient to have all contacts displayed on one screen. Client portal only allows for 1 contact email address. The portal is not a responsive web design and certainly not friendly to mobile devices. There are buttons in the portal that are only seen when scrolled over (Pay Now buttons on invoice tab). Payments made via a portal invoice do not sync down to the billing screen. Downloading multiple documents from the portal is inefficient. There is no "Download All" button. E-signing process is convoluted to the signer and has bugs which have not been fixed. Form letters do not give you access to all collected data variables. No user community to introduce or vote on feature requests. LinkedIn or Facebook aren't the solution.

Kyle from Birrer Sangret LLP

Horrible. Unreliable. Blindfolded company culture.

It taught me not to believe the features you read on websites.

Pros

The days it works without data loss or speed issues. More often than not, it is extremely slow and non-responsive. We have an amazing cloud environment with more than adequate resources for this basic application. Office Tools is the only program that is slow or non-responsive on a daily basis.

Cons

There are many many little glitches that we have not brought to supports attention because we were told by your support team: "glitches must have been previously identified to exist". Your engineers told my IT consultant that we were not using the software properly, which resulted in the DATA LOSS we were experiencing. This is complete crap, as I witnessed the issue with my own eyes and know that Office Tools has a critical engineering issue that can result in lost data. I have also experienced the data loss issue across two separate companies (and IT environments) and have experienced this issue as far back as 2014. But that's not important, right? The ABOVE MENTIONED ISSUE IS PROJECT ASSIGNMENTS CAN REVERT TO PREVIOUSLY ASSIGNED ASSIGNMENT WITHOUT ANY PROOF THE NEW ASSIGNMENT WAS EVER CREATED. THE PROFILE SYNC DOESN'T WORK. THE CEO ACKNOWLEDGED THIS AS A KNOWN ISSUE YET THE COMPANY IS STILL SELLING IT AS IF IT WORKS. ACCOUNTS WITH THE SAME PRIMARY CONTACT MAY HAVE THEIR FILE NAME CHANGED BY OFFICE TOOLS WITHOUT THE ABILITY TO CHANGE IT BACK TO THE PROPER NAME. THE SIN (CANADA) NUMBER DOESNT SHOW PERIODICALLY UNLESS YOU HIT THE EDIT BUTTON, THEN IT MAGICALLY APPEARS. Overall the software is not reliable and the company culture is disappointing. I brought the data integrity issue to the CEO and he brushed it off as a non issue, despite it being mission critical for his customers. Never will we recommend this software to anyone. It sounds better than it is.

Andy from DePauw Johnson Inc

love the software. It is the First program all staff opens in the morning and last to close

total organization running our office

Pros

We have been using the software since 2007. It runs our office. All client information is under one hood. We use it to track projects as they move thru the office,capturing time , archiving documents and processing our billing as we move thru the month. We schedule our appointments, track phone calls. We use the client portal as a secure way to deliver and receive documents. I highly recommend this software to all accounting firms. You will no longer miss project deadlines. You will capture more billable time and become more efficient in your daily operations. Feel free to contact me for more user perspective

Mari from Johnson & Company

Office Tools

For the most part we are pleased with the functionality of Office Tools. The help sections needs to have a few more topics that it will help with.

Pros

It makes organizing files very easy. There are money sort options to choose from when searching for documents. The time tracker is really useful when working on large accounts.

Cons

It does not require an account to have a designated number. It stores information by the name on the account. If there is ever a name change, (such as with a marriage or divorce) all documents assigned to the original name disappear. Also in the billing feature, there is no report that you can run that will let you search by a specific invoice number.

LaFonda from Hurst Merrick Tax & Accounting Services LLC

Really helps keep our office organized and know exactly where, when, what and why!

We are much more organized and spend much less time trying to be organized. It has saved us time which in turn saves us money.

Pros

We love that it integrates with our Office365, that we can easily upload docs to a secure portal, get esignatures for a very low price and that it keeps track of who last touched the "file". Very impressed with being able to send email templates to clients with information we are constantly repeating, which saves an enormous amount of time.

Cons

For an excellent program, you have to put a TON of time in getting it set up. Garbage in Garbage out means you need to have a plan. It would be nice if there was a planning tool to help guide you throught the set up process. The one hour video isn't terribly helpful. An excel spreadsheet would be wonderful, if you do this, you need to do thus kind of thing.

Steven from Steven Meyerson CPA LLC

Lots of Value - Great Price

Pros

I'm a sole practitioner. I've used the product for over 8 years. I mainly use the billing, due date monitoring and portal. Office Tools makes my billing process easy. I have set up standard paragraphs and just insert to complete the invoices. Due date monitoring keeps me aware of due dates and will roll forward projects when completed. I have Thomson Reuters Practice included in a subscription package for essentially no cost, but choose to continue using Office Tools as it is a straight forward robust product.

Cons

I really don't have any "Cons" per se. On rare occasions, the software will freeze and I'll have to restart.

Sherree from Heimler And Associates

Easy, time-saving, organizing, delight!

It greatly helps in our effort for a paper-free office!

Pros

I love the phone call section and the to-do section the most. These features make our office run smooth as silk. It is so nice to create a tax season to-do, with thirty-two items on it. I finish the thirty-two items and I am now ready for tax season. Then I change the date on the to-do and it pops up next year. This saves me so much time!

Cons

Sometimes it takes a little while to fix small problems. Large problems are fixed very quickly though. I wish they would fix the amount of characters possible on the first name line. There really hasn't been too many cons for us, as we love the software!

Marsha from C. Wayne Loker, CPA LLC

I have had an amazing experience using Office Tools

See my survey

Pros

The record keeping itself is worth its weight in gold. Having one software that lets you store and organize files, create and follow projects, time keeping and billing as well as schedules. I totally have become solely dependent on this one program to enable me to complete days of work into several hours. Customer support is the best. They taught me and helped me without judgement!!

Cons

Need it to be cloud based for easier use anywhere work takes me. Pricing is a bit high for smaller clients. I would like to have all of our accounting clients using this product. I also wish the big Vegas Show was on East Coast as well.

Jeffrey from KSDT & Co.

Very user friendly software, very customizable, excellent customer support, very reasonably priced.

Keeps my firm organized through project workflow, keeps track our time and billing, hold all of our client information.

Pros

The software is very user friendly software, very customizable, very reasonably priced. The customer support is amazing and they are open to feature enhancements. The features I enjoy most are the syncing with QuickBooks, the excel import feature, timers and entering time with ease, activity list keep you organized, project workflow is amazing. Very excited about the web based version coming out at the end of 2017.

Cons

Needs to link to other tax software other than just Lacerte. Number of reports could be improved but not bad.

Nathalie from Accounting

Office Tools - Good for Small Companies

I had a very positive experience with Office Tools. It was very easy to use and could store a lot of data. Opening, copying, and saving documents was also very efficient

Pros

I liked how user friendly the software was. It was easy to store and save data as well as track workflows.

Cons

Creating workflows wasn't very intuitive

Response from AbacusNext

Replied May 2019

Dear Nathalie, Thank you for taking the time to review OfficeTools. We're so glad you found the software to be user-friendly, and we appreciate your feedback about creating workflows. Thank you for your patronage; we look forward to being of service for many years to come. Best, Katie Ternes Marketing Coordinator AbacusNext (858) 882-4882

Sarah from Carter Schwartze, CPAs

Great software for CPA firm to keep organized.

Overall experience has beeen great! We are learning new things every day that we can accomplish with Office Tools and it’s been very beneficial to our growing accounting firm.

Pros

It does everything from scheduling, time tracking, document organization to project management. All of our clients information is together in once place and every one in our office has access to it. I can see who has worked on which projects, for how long and when they’ve been completed. It also tracks our invoicing and will sync emails to each clients document folder which is super helpful!

Cons

Access to all of the features can be modified for each employee, however changing it to allow access isn’t very clear and doesn’t give detail on what it allows them access to. Overall great software!

Office Tools is a great program

Overall it is a good program and I would recommend it. They are always working on adding new features and also have a place for customers to make suggestions on features they would like to see or changes that would be better.

Pros

This software is a great option for tracking clients/vendors/contacts, to do's projects, deadlines, and reminders. I like the options for setting a reminder or not when I create a project. I like to be able to see not just my project /to do list but also for everyone in the office. I also like that we can store documents related to the client/contact/vendor to easily find them when we need them.

Cons

Some features and settings are not easy to figure out. It would be nice to customize the program more to our needs but customization's are limited.

Leticia from Douglass and Liebig

Office Tools

Office Tools is a nice data management software. It allows the user to keep track of a time card, which is crucial to a CPA firm.

Pros

I like the way it allows the user to drag source documents into the data management program. Emails are also easy to drag into. Most documents are easily dragged into the software program with ease. It also allows to keep track of projects and their progress. Nice feature.

Cons

I wish they had a better way to store the information. Yes there are the filters to bring up certain years and data. However, it would be a better software if the data were stored in folders. Where the folders were named and there reside the documents. They would be out of sight until one needs to search for certain information.

Brad from Rogers, Anderson, Malody & Scott, LLP

OT brings together time & billing, project and document management, and client portal all-in-one.

This software brought together several tools we were previously using into one seamless interface. The interface is intuitive and easy for people to learn and use.

Pros

We like that OT combines many tools into one system, including time & billing, project management, document management, and client portal. The system is very easy to use and doesn't require a lot of training for new staff. The interface is modern and the system really works well for our firm of about 40.

Gloria from Byzick and Company Corvallis

Overall great practice management.

It has streamlined our document management and simplified the need for multiple programs to manage the workflow.

Pros

I love the convenience of having my contact information, billing history, client data and records all within the same program. It definitely helps maintain a smooth workflow.

Cons

This software still has many limits. Multi-tasking is very difficult because you have to constantly change contacts and screens. The report functions are not very robust. I would really like to see Crystal Reports built into OT so that I could truly customize my reports, letters, and invoices.

Ashley from Grossbach Zaino & Associates

Abacus is bring Office Tools down

Pros

I have been using Office Tools for years and it has helped tremendously with keeping all of my company's client data and projects in order. The reports are somewhat customizable and easy to read. The Projects tab enables us to have a good audit trail of all work by using the Work List, Project Definitions and Project Assignments.

Cons

Since Office Tools has been taken over by Abacus the price of the program has gone up significantly while the features have barely been updated (the updates it did get aren't that great) and the customer service has gone down significantly. In the past I would call customer support and be helped on the spot or given an appointment no later than the next day. Now I call in and am told they will put in a case and I'll get a call back shortly, which really means in hours or the next day or the day after. I recently put in customer service requests on 2 separate issues and was repeatedly told that I'd get a call back or that my case was escalated. One issue was never resolved and I put in the case in January. The other is going on 2 weeks now with no results. Its ridiculous that Abacus expects us to pay higher prices and sign contracts, but not give us the customer service we need. I've even reached out to the sales manager and am given the same answers.

Michele from Michele M Ayers CPA

support has been great, pretty easy to use

tracks my employees time so I know how much to bill my clients. I use it as my billing program and to keep track of employees time to I know what their hours are each week

Pros

Cons

when an update goes through we seem to have a glitch and when we go into the program it says we are already logged in so we aren't allowed. We have to go in on another user and switch something to be allowed access.

Stacy from Ray Simmons Corporation

Exponentially Increased Productivity !

Pros

The ability to record client contact. Having client documents at your fingertips. No more paper files to haul around. Office staff can check on the progress of a clients tax return just by looking for their name. Notes about missing documents needed to complete a tax return are right there so anyone can pick up where someone else left off.

Cons

Could have better client reporting options. Maybe a way to bypass steps in the project to jump ahead without doing each step individually.

Julie from CBH Business Services

Still Learning All Possible Uses

This program has helped me organize my week and prevented missing deadlines.

Pros

I like the monthly schedule because I can take a look at one page and see what I have coming up for the week. The only complaint is, I am now entering as appointments and in the past I was able to enter as "to do's" Also, am impressed with the customer service when I had problems with resetting my password.

Cons

It will take some time to learn all of the possible uses, but like what I have used to date. Do wish there were more training options. We have the assignments set up and I like being able to see what needs to be done but can be overwhelming if you get behind.

Without this software our office wouldn't be able to function.

keeping everything straight. with so many clients and "projects" its imperative to know where everything stands. who has it, whats being done, whats missing, etc. having the documents in the system attached to everything (be it a meeting, a call a project) is a huge positive.

Pros

Everything you need to know about any client, contact, etc. is all in one place. whether it be an email, a phone message, document, meeting notes, client files, projects, time and billing. we can research anything and find anything on them. one stop shopping.

Jon from Dennis F. Rose & Associates

Overall the program works well.

Pros

Project tracking and shared calenders

Cons

Users must have admin control over calendars to view them. It seems users need admin control to do just about anything if it involves other users. We sometimes hire temps. We need them to view the calendar and contacts but we don't trust them to edit them. We have had a number of appointments moved by mistake. We aren't notified about updated until we call in with a problem and are then told they will send us the update. Why aren't the updates pushed out?

OTP is relatively easy to use. It is quite forgiving.

Much easier for billing purposes, tracking projects and allowed us to reduce the number of software products used in a day.

Pros

Quick and easy entering new contacts. Many ways to classify and group contacts. I'm also a big fan of the "bill to contact" feature. It's easy to focus on the clients you need to contact.

Cons

Only one email can be utilized per contact. Not easily managed when contact name has to change and they often do in cases of marriage, divorce, death of one of a couple or sale of company etc.

Charmayne from Taylor Accountancy Corporation

One top ap for all your office needs

We use OT the most for billing clients. It does a great job tracking employee hours and allowing the flexibility to change bills.

Pros

The favorite thing about Office Tools is the to-do list. It helps keep me on task and remembers the important tasks that I need to be sure to remember.

Cons

The letter writing function is difficult and time consuming. What you see in the letter screen is not always the same format that is printed. It takes a lot of time to save any changes that you make.