• icon"The ease of use with this software is really nice, if your company is like ours, we have companies all over the country."
  • icon"Outstanding performance, highly accessible, easy to use and the pricing is by far the best."
  • icon"I really enjoy it as a user and highly recommend it to all organizations as the best in value for money."
  • icon"I am a multi-disciplinary designer myself, and despite trying (very hard) several times to use Basecamp, I just can't get past how ugly, unintuitive, and clunky the UI is."
  • icon"I just found it boring that you can only view one person's task list at a time, if you have a project with multiple members, it makes it difficult."
  • icon"It is integrated with limited software which restricts to carry out multidimensional projects. It’s pricing is also very high, it restrict its use for small organizations."

All Basecamp Reviews

1-25 of 12,439 Reviews

Troy

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

We use it every day!

October 2022

Basecamp is great for remote teams to track and accomplish recurring projects

Been using this for several years, I do like how simple it is to organize and accomplish tasks across the board. I would say, if you're looking for a project management solution for recurring tasks and projects, this is a great fit.

Pros

I really love how it organizes conversations around tasks. Each task has a permanent record of the discussion going on for it, which keeps the discussion focused and organized.

Cons

There are three versions of basecamp, and they don't talk to each other. I have suppliers using all three versions, and I have to log in separately for each.When you have multiple projects, the project updates can be hard to follow--it's not immediately clear which project has which update, I have to read the whole sentence to find what I need. Would like something easier, maybe color coding?

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

Structure, organization, popular among others in the industry.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Trello is great, but it's too open. Needed something more structured.

Syamir

Improve project management effectiveness

What i have realize with Basecamp is, we have improve the way my team communicate. We have ditch from using email or other messenger application, and mainly using Basecamp as our communication platform. It is effective because we can quickly pinpoint the subject of our discussion and attaching document to it.

Pros

Tracking for a project progress by team members and keeping a quick communication contact with my colleague is easy to do with Basecamp. Its workflow method to managing many project that are running at the same time is flawless. Separating each team members roles and their responsibilities towards the project only need a single click.

Cons

The feature tools name is quite funny, they use term 'campfire' to indicate messenger board where people gathering for discussion. There are some integration that are not well connected, my integration with google calendar is choppy and some of my calendar event is not properly exported to Basecamp calendar.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Asana is too complicated and expensive for us. Basecamp can do the same with less cost.

Ryan

November 2022

Great tool, but unfortunately the price is one of the highest values

Pros

Basecamp is an incredibly strong task management tool. Great for small teams. As far as resource management and any medium sized projects basecamp lacks behind its competitors. With all this said, I love basecamp as it is nostalgic for decades now of work that I've been able to implement easy with teams and organizations.

Cons

resource management, alignment, lack of scheduling, confusing interface that forces users to just use search, upgrades and updates... although good, only make it harder to leave and not actually fix needed overhauls.

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

sad to say but it was pricing. Now as we've grown we need more value that basecamp cannot keep up with.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

So Asana, was better designed back in 2018 or so, but was also very buggy at the time, and still lacked in scheduling and other areas, we made the switch and have been happy, but now basecamp is needing another overhaul to keep up with alternatives.Sad to say but their pricing model (back then) was unmatched and now they are switching that up to be per user/month like everyone else. I'd suggest they stick in their lane, but alas.

Maisarah

Involve client in the project

Overall of my experience with this is software pretty good, as i can collaborate project and task with my colleague and client. It really help me manage several running project at the same time and i can keep up with all the project progress without any problem.

Pros

I really like that Basecamp has a portal for client that I can involving my client on the project that we are working together. They can see and view the project process and the project completion progress and also get involve in the idea management to pitching ideas on the project. It keep both parties on top of the project progress.

Cons

This software structures are quite difference from other typical project manager software, which it will takes some time to learning all the feature and differences with this software. On top of that, client also needs to learn to use this software for me to collaborate with them, and not everyone is willing to spend extra hours to learn about this software.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Any.do is more suitable for managing to-do list and some basic task.

Jason

Making project management easier

Overall, Basecamp is a solid product that I use almost daily to manage projects. I haven't had any major issues with the software but would like to be able to easily reference tips and tricks to improve my workflow.

Pros

The ability to collaborate with other people on my team on task management is critical to making sure the work is done on time. Basecamp also allows me to communicate with clients and vendors on project specifics tasks and goals which means less time writing emails and more time getting things accomplished.

Cons

The user interface is a little too bare-bones, and things aren't always intuitive. I would like to see more tips on how to set projects up and manage them properly.

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

More clients were using basecamp already.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

I had more clients that were using Basecamp, so it made sense to be on the same platform as them.

Sheikh

Expert user

I am satisfied but it has a scope for improvement.

Pros

Lot of functionality. Project Management, Messages, To - Do’s.

Cons

Sometimes the messages get delayed and sometimes we have to refresh the paage as it is unresponsive sometimes.

Cost effective.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

There was no project management.

Vikram

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

August 2022

The Best task allocation and monitoring tool available in the market

In remote workplaces, it becomes very difficult to monitor and track the progress of your peers or teammates. Basecamp has been a saviour as it helps us not only monitor and allocate tasks but also becomes a source of communication for internal teams to get the work done. We recommend Basecamp to any IT company which has multiple projects and resources to handle.

Pros

Basecamp has been a great tool for our team as all the projects and tasks are allocated by the managers and peers on this platform and then it becomes easy for everyone to keep a track of it. Basecamp provides an easy communication via threads that make it very convenient to use. We at Wise IT inc have been using basecamp as a project management and collaboration tool and love how it makes our lives easier. It also has a mobile app which makes it more easier to keep a check on your phone when you are away from work.

Cons

Basecamp does not have video conferencing option yet which has become a very important feature for companies that are working from home. Apart form this, I have never faced any problem using Basecamp.

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

Pricing and features are better for Basecamp compared to other alternatives available.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

The interface of Basecamp is easier than Asana. Also in terms of features, Basecamp currently leads the market.

Kevin

Basecamp for Teams

We have started and completed close to 150 projects in Basecamp; crossing every department in our organization. It has helped us keep people informed, keep tasks on target, and complete projects in a timely and efficient manner. Their help system is very detailed. It seems like most reviewers just can not find it. https://3.basecamp-help.com/ We are very pleased with the product, but we want to see more enhancements coming, and more often. The product desperately needs sublists, priorities, milestones, and very tight integration with Office 365. We would also like to see the use of templates. Anything from planning a canoe trip to launching a new retail store would be very helpful. Overall, it is a great product, but we may outgrow it if enhancements are not added. If some of these features do not come soon, it may drive long-standing customers away from the product.

Pros

We have been using Basecamp for 7 years now. What we liked at first was the simple design and speed at which you can learn the product. You can be up, running and have a project underway in less than 10 minutes. It checked all the boxes initially. Simple to use, ability to create project groups and associated tasks, assign users, and dates, and attach files. In Basecamp 3 they added grouped tasks within the parent list, and the ability to assign multiple people to a single task.

Cons

Basecamp needs sublists, priorities, and milstones. They also need to build a native integration completely into Office 365. Instead of fighting it, embrace Office 365 Sharepoint, Onedrive, and Teams.

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

Basecamp was far simpler to use, less expensive, had all the features we needed, and none that we didn't. We just needed a simple to use, and well-thought-out management tool.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Prior to switching the company used a very simple excel list. Excel was too static and not the ideal use of the product.

October 2022

Basecamp - suitable project management software

Good friendly interface. You can learn how to use it very quickly, so you can organize your business and improve the productivity with good tracking tools.

Pros

Basecamp is easy to implement, easy to use in a team.

Cons

It is quite expensive for small business, 11$ per user with no other options.

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

It was not much more expensive as I used it for a small business

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

It was only the question of taste for the interface and usability.

Mary Ellen

Basic functionality, hasn't kept pace with competitors

Basecamp has been the foundation of our company's project management and communication systems for the past 9 years, but we're starting to feel like we've outgrown it. Those frustrations combined with the recent leadership missteps have us shopping for an alternative.

Pros

Basecamp is an extremely accessible, cost-effective task management system for simple projects and teams. It's easy to invite people to specific projects without adding to the cost.

Cons

Having to use third-party tools for basic functionality, such as kanban boards and time/points tracking. Lack of common milestone tracking, such Gantt charts.

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

At the time, we preferred the simplicity of the UX/UI and the functionality for the price. As a remote-first company, we also appreciated the management philosophy of the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN].

Bethany

Industry: Publishing

My, well, base camp for client communications!

I create an individual Basecamp project for each of my clients to handle communication, deadlines, and file-sharing. Basecamp is the only project management software I've found that really excels at being used in a client-facing manner. I can get clients set up within minutes without confusing or overwhelming them.

Pros

My use of Basecamp is unique in that I personally don't need project management software as much as a client communication interface, and Basecamp is perfect for that! My work requires me to implement deadlines for both my team and my clients, and Basecamp allows me to clearly communicate that entire timeline while keeping all files and communication in one place. It really is a perfect "home base"!

Cons

I'd love to be able to customize which projects we receive updates on! Instead of just choosing email updates or no email updates, it would be great to have a newsfeed of only starred projects or even the ability to designate and filter by role within a project. I also feel that the jump between Basecamp Personal and Basecamp Business is a bit too stark. I'd love to see, say, a Basecamp Entrepreneur option in between aimed at companies that don't need unlimited features and can't afford the $99 monthly price point. Basecamp 2's "10 projects for $20/month" package would be an ideal model!

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

While I preferred the pricing structure of the alternative products, Basecamp can't be beaten in terms of client friendliness.

peter

November 2022

It just works even for the technologically uninclined

An invaluable product with clearly excellent programmers, each upgrade to newer versions has been extremely smooth with no disruptions.

Pros

Basement is a simple light application which has taken over as a primary team management and even PIM.

Cons

At times version 3 feels slightly busy, but over all it is still good and simple to navigate. A very very very useful software and they have a free version that I know many people use as their personal task management.

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

The team function is really poor layout in Asana and not intuitive. Basecamp is more humanized feel and less robotic.

Noorhidayu

Basecamp is our department choice

Pros

I love the project progress and the timeline tracking that this software has offered. Since my department work closely with out client on some of the project, the client portal really helping us out in keeping client within the loop and fast update on their end.

Cons

I am not a fan of their dashboard structure along with the name of some of the tools here. It doesn't scream professional, as an example, the discussion board are named "campfire". Other than that, everything else is okay and easy to use.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Trello is too much for us to manage our daily task.

Syazwani

October 2022

Top software for task collaboration and internal communication

Basecamp is a good platform for work collaboration, but still need to work more on the chat features.

Pros

What I like the most with Basecamp is because all the features that my team and I need to collaborate and communicate internally are readily available with Basecamp. Additional features like task designation help to assign the task to my team members.

Cons

The internal communication medium is rather basic and not many chat management or setting can be use with it. I hope they can make it a bit advance with file sharing and gif file sender.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Basecamp has more feature and tools and easy access to the software from web browser.

Fantastic Project Management Tool

Very positive. We enjoy using the tool and it helps us manage a number of clients at once.

Pros

Basecamp is so easy to use and the team loves it. We appreciate the task lists and notifications to keep everyone on track.

Cons

Not many thanks to criticize. This software was very easy to set up and manage on a day-to-day basis.

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

We were using both for a while as they provide similar functionality.

Rell