All Canopy Reviews

Canopy; Keeping Client Information Safe

Karen

Reviewed December 2021

Game changer

PROS

We luckily chose Canopy as our client portal system pre-pandemic. When the shut down occurred, we were ready to continue servicing our clients during this very termultuous time. AS we move forward from the pandemic, our clients have found they like having a single source to share documents virtually. We as a firm continue to develop our skills in Canopy and now use it for engagement letters, tax documents and any communications with our clients

CONS

Wish there could be better isolation of reminder emails or emails when a client performs as action.

Reason for choosing Canopy

Pricing, ease of use and setup

Alison

Where to start

There are other options out there and I could easily stick w sharefile. However I wanted to up my game and show my clients a better higher tech experience. As you know, solopreneurs have a hard time competing w the small to middle size firms. Seems like you need to up your game or at least let me know about your game!

PROS

Clients like the portal. It has helped improve the perception that my firm cares about their info. It also feels very organized. It is easy to set up a portal.

CONS

Yegads, what to me seems like obvious items, the organizer doesn’t roll over from prior year to current year. Your current solution is for me to set up customer accounts for each member of a family unit. This seems dumb and a waste of accounts, my and my team’s time, my money and the client perception and experience. If i as a customer was asked by my firm to re enter all prior year into, I would be beyond annoyed. I would wonder what kind of high tech experience Alison isn’t offering me. As a customer, I would also be less inclined to complete it because It is a waste of my time. Your customer service and training library aren’t helpful. Since it is very self serve, I have no idea what to look for in terms of better ways to use canopy because I don’t know what I don’t know. You let us all know at the innovation summit about the 100 new features you have rolled out. My admin and I were dumbfounded to learn this. How did we not know About the cool ways you are trying to make my life better? Do you offer monthly training or “ask me anything” webinars that don’t require me to pay extra or upgrade to a higher level. If you do, why don’t I know about them? If you don’t, why don’t you? It seems like you would help me have a better experience with the software and keep me as a recurring customer. Also, it is hard as nails to get requests followed up on. Customer service isn’t great.

Reason for choosing Canopy

The product seemed like a great entry way to start. It seemed easy to use. And it looked cool for my clients. I have appreciated how the portal seems organized. Some of my clients have told me it is hard to use. Would like some ideas on how to help my clients want to use it rather than. Email me their private info.

Reviewed May 2023

Showed some early promise but now payments are a disaster

From 2021 to now it's been satisfactory but I've been impatient with the limited API functions. From May 2023 its been horrible after the payment processor switch to Ayden. Stay away!

PROS

The ease at which my clients were able to upload and send me documents

CONS

Their payments used to be with Paysafe and it was okay but they recently moved to Ayden and it's been a nightmare. We can't add new payments, can't run old payments and we now don't see decline codes. There's no transparency any longer with CC or ACH ledgers and our business has become a nightmare collecting payments from our clients.

Reasons for switching to Canopy

I loved the clean UI/UX and the mobile app.

Shelley

Law Practice, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2022

Best Tax Resolution Software Out There!

Love Canopy and can't imagine doing our jobs without it!! The support staff is outstanding both via chat and calling in. They have been open to new ideas, are positive and almost always help us to solve our problems.

PROS

The software is intuitive and easy to use. I'm sure we under utilize it but it works great for our small office. The thing we like best is that it keeps us organized! There are so many great features though including allowing us to be paperless.

CONS

I wish we could customize the text in the "Notes" section. We use Notes a lot. Would love to be able to use colored text - red for deadlines, green for amounts due, etc. Also wish we could search the contact list by phone numbers. We often receive incoming calls in which the name listed on the caller ID is not the name of the actual person. Currently, we have to enter the phone number into our cell phone to see if it is someone we have spoken with before or a current client.

Reason for choosing Canopy

The support staff are so positive and eager to help in any way they can.

Nicole

Review of Canopy - 1 month in

I like Canopy and I'll continue to use it. I'm glad I'm working on the conversion in November rather than Feb/March. I expect to have everything perfect by the chaos of tax season.

PROS

I love the portal and the client/entity set up. I love that everything related to my workflow is in Canopy (except the tax return). It's very nice to have everything in one system.

CONS

The syncing with QBO hasn't been as easy as I'd like, but that may be an Intuit issue as well. There are issues when duplicate clients are created and you merge them. If the client was already linked in Canopy, that link is broken and I don't know how to recreate it. I hear that a function to sync specific clients in Canopy is coming soon and that should resolve my issue. I haven't been able to pull a transcript yet. I keep getting "Pull Failed". I'm not sure if this in an IRS issue or Canopy. Hopefully this can be resolved soon.

Reason for choosing Canopy

TaxDome didn't have the tax transcripts. Karbon looked very complicated.

Reasons for switching to Canopy

I wanted a system that did everything. Canopy has the CRM, task management and the document management together. The tax transcripts functionality was a big deciding factor as well.

Scott

Reviewed June 2022

Thomson Reuters File cab vs Tax Canopy

Within two weeks of starting my 30 day free trial, I had it set up (so I could evaluate the details and functionality) and decided to switch from Thomson Reuters File Cab. Another local CPA had also finished his vetting process so Tax Canopy already came highly recommended.

PROS

Free support - chat in or ph call. Templates for global folder creation. Once this is figured out, you can populate new client files with all the needed folders in less than 30 seconds. Using "Tags" to identify clients to send email blasts inside Canopy - brilliant! Unlimited file storage. Thomson Reuters charges me which is odd in this day and age with super affordable data storage. Annotations to files (i.e. PDFs) without paying for an ADobe license. Client portals. I've used other portal software, including the Thompson Reuters VO portal, but Canopy has this down to simple science. The Desktop Assistant allows you to edit live Word and Excel files.

CONS

File migration from File Cab. I wrote a how-to process sheet for my firm so this is doable just time-consuming. Don't let that deter you as it is part of the pain to switch from one software to another. We also are ditching Thomson Reuters Practice CS (i.e. their time and billing software) for the one inside Canopy. The invoicing and reporting are much weaker in Canopy compared to Practice CS so this is a problem but wasn't a deal-breaker. Canopy has assured me that better reports are forthcoming and I trust Canopy.

Reasons for switching to Canopy

Mostly lower cost but the better features of Tax Canopy was cinched the deal.

Amiee

Put All Of Your Practice Managements Tasks Under This Canopy

My overall experience with Canopy has been extremely positive.

PROS

Easy to implement and use. Our clients love it!

CONS

The tax organizers are not very robust and cannot be customized.

Ease of use and price.

Reasons for switching to Canopy

Product lacked innovation and was difficult to use.

Josh

Financial Services, 1 employee

Reviewed December 2022

A fit for my business and my Clients

Canopy allows me peace of mind when working remotely with Clients who are spread out nationwide as well as globally; it doesn't hurt that I can also work from anywhere that has an internet connection.

PROS

Bringing Canopy into our organization was easy, with individualized invitations on a mass e-mail template sent out to Clients old and new!

CONS

We are still working to make use of every area that Canopy offers, so there is nothing negative to say at the present time.

Reasons for switching to Canopy

I wanted a product that could not be hacked via social engineering of the employees of the product. Canopy fulfils this role beautifully!

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review! We appreciate your feedback! We're excited to hear the impact Canopy is making at your firm.

Replied January 2023

Al

Practice Management

Overall, Canopy is a good tool for client relationship management. Using the task list is a great tool to make sure deadlines do not get overlooked.

PROS

Canopy makes it easy to securly share tax sensitive documents with clients.

CONS

Getting transcripts from the IRS using Canopy can be a challenge.

Reason for choosing Canopy

I use Tax Help Software. Canopy made it much easier to impliment the file sharing system than the other choices.

Vexilla

Reviewed November 2022

Very pleased with switching

Overall I am very pleased with Canopy and their customer service.

PROS

I love how user friendly it is. I love how easy it has allowed me to automate tasks etc. I can see why other Accountants love it.

CONS

I would like to see more restrictions to users. It would also be beneficial to automate some IRS forms. However, I must say that anytime I have contacted TaxDome for a feature that's not available, they offer alternatives. They also have a program where users can request a feature.

Reasons for switching to Canopy

Canopy did not work at all. After a month of back and forth, no one was able to resolve our issues. The worse part, when I called for a refund, the supervisor said she saw no record of our company having any issues. I had high hopes but was left disappointed instead.

Thank you for your feedback, Vexilla! We appreciate you using Canopy. We also just want to note that we do have a customer request forum! If you'd like to request an update or a new feature, or track a timeline for an upcoming feature request. Just sign in here https://feedback.getcanopy.com/

Replied December 2022

Nicole

Reviewed November 2021

My critic on a CRM System that I believe in.

There are a few things that can be better, but overall a great product.

PROS

As a person that needs everything organized, I am happy to see that Canopy fulfills my OCD.

CONS

Takes a too long for the requested changes to take place.

Reason for choosing Canopy

We have employees of all ages and needed a CRM system that is user friendly for all ages.

Reasons for switching to Canopy

They are not as organized and Canopy in many of things. besides, CS Suite isn't worth the price.

Chuck

Going to miss Canopy!

I love Canopy. I am closing my CPA practice and joined a national firm. There must be 50+ applications and multiple locations for document storage and management. I still find myself using Canopy every day while transitioning my clients over to the new firm. I can't say enough how functional Canopy is in managing the client work. Also, the folks at Canopy are great to work with. New additional functionality is added all the time. The development team has an open ear to ideas and improvements. Canopy is only going to get better with time. I would continue to use it if I could.

PROS

Canopy is a great tool for all-in-one tracking of client relations, tasking, workflow, and running a CPA firm. I loved being able to go straight to the client home page and having access to all of the client information. Contact information, notes, tasks, important contacts related to the client, recent files, engagements - all of the information right there! Fantastic. Then I can drill down under communications to all of the client emails and correspondence with the client. Tax organizers are accessible from there too. All the information in one location! The fact that I could request an IRS transcript through Canopy for clients was amazing.

CONS

I didn't use the online payment system since I used another system to payments. I wasn't a fan of the pricing plan but it still was comparable with other vendors. Overall there wasn't much about Canopy that I didn't like.

Reason for choosing Canopy

We looked at several applications and even looked at hiring a software consulting company to build out a software solution on top of existing CRMs. In the end, although Canopy didn't have everything we wanted, what they did have was great and we could tell that they were on a great trajectory for continual future improvements.

Reasons for switching to Canopy

Office Tools was a good product but not for us. The cost, the onsite server situation wasn't the best nor was their new Saas product. The initial sales person sold us on the interface with our tax software, and other applications, which made the product very appealing but the onboard, or lack of it, and the lack of interfacing with our applications along with the company acquisition and significant cost increases each year drove us to look for another product.

We're ad to see you go Chuck but so happy Canopy was the right fit for you! We hope to work with you again in the future. Good luck at your new venture. - The Canopy Team

Replied January 2023

Kimber

Reviewed July 2022

Canopy - a user-friendly and friendly-user solution

For most issues we've run into with Canopy, their internal team was able to fix the error with a very quick turnaround time or assist with producing a report on their end. Wherever they may lack in a feature, they are quick to find a solution if possible. No system is going to be 100% custom tailored with all the bells and whistles, no matter the price point. Canopy consistently delivers and does not require a lengthy training session to get new users rolling, and when time is money that's a big foot forward.

PROS

The Canopy team is amazing at assisting with troubleshooting issues (very quick turnaround time) and are always working on new innovations. The fact that this is not just a set it and forget it system means that Canopy is always working to be a top competitor. They have a few Beta features (namely automation) in the works currently that as an Ops Manager I am thoroughly excited to see roll out. Their staff is always a pleasure to chat with and they hold quarterly 'First Look' webinars to explain what is new with their product and where they are going next - this team is always on the go.

CONS

They have a few drawbacks such as the inability to send text messages (we use a third party system), lack of complex reporting (though easily created on the users end by CSV export and a little Excel wizardry), and a few other minor gruffs, but Canopy does have these on their radar (go check out the forums!) and is working on building these in over time.

Mary

Reviewed December 2021

Very user friendly for the price.

Great for task management, document management, daily use, easy to learn and use

PROS

Easy to use, email/communication integration, Document storage unlimited

CONS

Email search function is less than ideal/doesnt work at all from within a client. Can't start Word/Excel files from within Canopy Wish it would also track time for each team member for the week - would make a secondary time and attendance unnecessary.

see above

Reasons for switching to Canopy

Ease of use, document storage, price

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

Reviewed March 2018

Outstanding software that keeps getting better and better!

It's an excellent client database and portal.

PROS

Cool features, outstanding customer service, constantly updating to make it better. I love that I can upload files easily to a secure client portal and we don't have to email files anymore. Clients love that they have 24/7 access to their files. We have saved on paper and toner costs. Having all our client information in one place is incredibly valuable. Engagements keep you focused on what you need to do and makes things less likely to fall through the cracks. The integration with gmail makes tracking/finding email conversations easy! Absolutely can't imagine not having this software.

CONS

There are only a few minor issues that I know Canopy will fix as they learn from their customers. I can make suggestions and I know that they will address these requests in future versions of the software: 1. Mobile Access is not perfect. An app would be great. Some screens just don't show up on my iPhone. 2. Tasks take way too long to create. I think it could be easier to create tasks. 3. Inability to print notes 4. Search engine is limited. It would be better to be able to search for partial names. Currently you need to really know the name of the person you are looking for. I have a business client who I can't search for the name of his business or DBA.

Antonietta

Accounting, 51-200 employees

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Reviewed April 2018

We all love the program! It has kept us better organized! It's so easy to use!

Canopy is easy and secure program to use to communicate with our clients. The uploading, tasks and engagement feature is used on a daily base in our office. I also, like the fact that we upload files in Canopy and make them visible or non-visible to our clients.

PROS

It's safe and secure. Clients are able to upload documents and the documents are saved their portal which as a result, keeps us better organized. The visible and not visible feature for files is a great feature because they are certain documents that the client doesn't need to see but are important for internal use. The task feature keeps us organized and we know exactly the status of each client. We are still learning Canopy capabilities and features.

CONS

Be able to move files from one client portal to another. We numerous clients whom keep uploading to the wrong portal because they have access to their individual and entity. I spend a lot of time downloading each file, saving it to me desktop and then dragging it over to the proper client portal. Not being able to delete a task from the client portal. If two people are in the same client portal and someone deletes and uploads a document we noticed that the client portal gets all discombobulated. Being able to print from the engagement feature conversations or files that were either uploaded from the client.

Lisa