All Format Reviews

Matthew

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed February 2023

A great product (though I found something better)

Tori

Reviewed September 2017

I have been using Format for quite some time now and still think its the best option for me.

The ability to easily customize and update my website without hiring out someone to do so.

PROS

I love that it is quick and easy. I can change anything I need to in a matter of seconds. I love that the format team is always making improvements and doing their best to keep the user interface simple while giving their customers what they ask for.

CONS

I think there could be more plan options. I recently had to upgrade my website because I was going over in image count due to a recent shoot I was proofing for a client. I was shocked at the huge jump in price just for more image count. Not a whole lot of bang for the amount of bucks ($$$) there. I'll be downgrading again as soon as my client is done proofing their shoot. I would like to see format increase the amount of themes available. I feel as though what I am using currently is *almost* what I want. But there are more things I would like to change but simply cannot. I would love to be able to create custom gallery sections, just like you are able to fully customize other pages (about pages, text sections, contact pages). I would also love to see some slideshow options - I want a rotating image section on my homepage and on my about page!

Sibiry

Internet, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2022

Format review

PROS

Format is a very good website creation software. Supported by web hosts like hostinger

CONS

No problem encountered in the use of this software I highly recommend

sarah

Reviewed September 2017

Love the simplicity of use and clean look, but at times there are MAJOR malfunctions.

PROS

I like the easy to use, drag and drop software. I also appreciate the themes as well as the clean overall look of the portfolio website. The shop feature has much to be desired.

CONS

At times there are major malfunctions. For instance, I've had to disable my store because the same image is showing up for every single product. This is an image I initially used months ago as a placeholder, but have since deleted in each listing. When I try to edit the listing, I see the actual product images I have uploaded, but when I preview it on my site, it still shows that random placeholder image from months ago. The thing is I had NO idea that my shop looked like that and for how long? Who knows! It's quite embarrassing and I'm unsure how to proceed.

ANTONIS

Reviewed March 2018

I currently use FORMAT as the main hosting service for promoting my portfolio.

To promote and manage my Official website as a photographer.

PROS

FORMAT is my main tool for designing and managing my Official website as a photographer. I first tried and used it back in 2012. Since then, I am very satisfied and happy to be able to upload my work and feature my Photography work, as all the tools and design layouts are friendly to use and easy for managing different pages. The performance of the website is really good and I am very satisfied also by the fast response and kind guidance provided by their customer service.

CONS

It took me some time to realize that JPG picture format is running faster and its easier for upload and for loading the page. PNG Image format, especially if they are more than 5MB can cause delays in loading the pages of my portfolio, so I had to re-arrange the formats and re-upload only JPG Images. There isn't something particular that I dislike, maybe if the platform was supporting Flash video files and Intro pages it would be more enjoyable. But overall I am satisfied.

Melanie

Arts and Crafts, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2017

Best place to get a website!

It helps me promote my brand and show my work in the best way possible.

PROS

I love the different premise layouts for the websites. The layouts are clean, modern, and they have a variety to choose from. If I ever have a problem, the customer service is always top notch. They go above and beyond to help with every single question I've had. They really care about the customers. You can do prettt much whatever you like with your website. It's very straightforward with how to set everything up.

CONS

There's not much, if anything, that I have a problem with. I'd like to have a video as the opening/home page, but you might be able to do that now (I'm not sure).

Jerry

Reviewed September 2017

The Format system allowed me to finally concentrate on images, not site maintenance.

I started building websites in 1995, cut and paste using Windows notepad. I worked my way up through HTML, WYSWYG, Dreamweaver, the lot. I finally grew tired of the maintenance, just wanting to do what I do best... photography. Format offered the elegance and simplicity I was looking for after reviewing many different options (Squarespace, Wix, many others). Oddly enough, I am from Toronto, but am now based in Nairobi, Kenya, but wasn't aware Format was in my former hometown around the corner from where I lived. Canadian expertise.

PROS

Clean designs. Easy to upload and curate images. Provides an all-in-one package for any professional. Galleries, blogs, customization of presentation. Easy for viewers to navigate and professional content display. It allows me to spend little time on website updates and more time on creating content. Viewers appreciate the simplicity.

CONS

Not too many cons. Maybe some meta info on the files (file names and dates). Multiple windows would be nice to drag and drop from different pages/galleries, make it easier to move files. And maybe an archive function for protection.

Craig

Arts and Crafts, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2017

I am happy that I found Format, and want more people to know how awesome their product is.

So far Format is the only company I've found that has fulfilled my requirements for WYSIWYG site production at a reasonable cost.

PROS

Format is easy to use and offers many clean, non- distracting, and professional templates. The customer service crew is friendly and rapid in response. They want to know real details if you have a complaint. I've never had a problem with my site going offline or getting hacked. It is direct- unlike managing a site through wordpress. They surprise us with free new upgrades...like a store! I thought that was really cool.

CONS

I've been using the redesigned site administrator graphic upgrade and mentioned to customer service that I thought the earlier version was easier to navigate or see, perhaps it was a design/ contrast issue. I'm getting used to the new layout, so in some ways I'm used to the learning curve of a new graphic interface design. Perhaps another visualization option under the new scheme, or a few adjustments available for contrast settings would help.

Peter

Reviewed September 2017

The overall experience using Format.com is incredible. From A-Z they have every aspect covered!

PROS

That it's easy to use. I love the professional look of the themes but most importantly, I love the price point! If it was more money - it probably wouldn't be worth it but with the price point now in comparison to SquareSpace and other sites - its the best! I LOVE that it's a Canadian Company!

CONS

It has a few bugs with editing. I also wish the page designs were much for customizable! I wish that each page was able to have a separate "design theme". Sometimes certain galleries and projects deserve or need different designs or gallery viewings! Its limited for the entire website to one theme and type of gallery viewer!

Greg

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed May 2019

Basic photo sharing site with tons of issues

PROS

I used Format to set up a photo portfolio site for someone who is very technology-phobic. He uses Lightroom to edit photos and wanted something easy that integrated with LR and allowed him to upload photos directly to the app. Format does this - and has nice enough galleries.

CONS

Don't use Format if you want to do much customization. There are limits on everything, and it seems that the people who created it don't truly understand the needs of photographers who want something a little beyond the box. While you can change font sizes and such, you are stuck with their minimal design options and if you like something from one design/theme, you can't have it in another.

Joanne

Philanthropy, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2017

Very easy to update, smooth navigation and beautiful interface and templates available.

PROS

The nice templates available, the way editing the content is easy, the format interface easy to navigate.

CONS

I don't think there is a template optimized for a film/video portfolio. Right now, the videos are managed just like photos but they shouldn't be. Also, some templates still don't work that well on mobile.

Jacob

Reviewed September 2017

Easy to navigate and use, creating pages and adding items really is a breeze.

I got a really sweet portfolio with Format. Enough said!

PROS

The accessibility, navigationsystems, the themes and clean UI/User Interface is what makes Format easy to use. What I do love the most with Format is how easy it is to create the pages you truly dream of.

CONS

Some pages won't show up in the correct order. An example would be: The pages come up alphabetically in the "Pages" menu, but when you want to import images or pick a site to link up, the pages in the menu would show the pages in "oldest to newest" order. Quite confusing at first, but I can get used to it.

Reviewed September 2017

Great Website, I love the options.

My website drives sales, and allows me to show my work to my customers.

PROS

I like the templates in Format and the ability to be able to use them and customise the different options. I like the way they work on mobiles and different formats.

CONS

I don not like the way the Videos are embedded on either Youtube or Vimeo, I would like them to be native to format. Also better options for Video style formats.

gregory

Good

PROS

Ease of migration to my bluehost website domain. Changes to the site were not instant - they took about 24 hours to take full effect. I checked my after one day, the domain connection was working. Changes to your registrar's site are not instant It's best to check your connection after one day.You will know that your domain connection worked - have to enter www before the domain, or it doesn't work (ie., www,davenportprojex.com as opposed to davenportprojex.com ). Be sure to check that www comes up in the address bar.

CONS

Limited options for access to the application templates for sites. Not very clear guidance on adding background music to a website.

Victoria

Reviewed September 2017

Seamless way to create a high quality, professional website!

A beautiful website that I've gained many freelance jobs because of!

PROS

- Variety of templates and customizable designs - Ease of use, uploading and editing content making the website your own without needing to know the technicalities of coding - Great customer service! I've been a customer for almost four years. - Works really well for photographers, or professionals looking to showcase many images. - Mobile friendly! - Locked in rate when joining.

CONS

There is not anything I can think of that I like least about Format. I guess you can possibly run into another website that looks like yours if they used the same design which looks kind of bad.

Lino

Fine Art, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2017

Using format since long time and still satisfied comparing it with others internet tools

More visibility

PROS

The possibility to change site style so rapidly and yearly subscription as well is a great opportunity to review your work

CONS

What I think must be improved is the flexibility in fonts choise and the quantity as well; also the pictures positioning should be more simple and with more options

Enid

Reviewed September 2017

Best service for Artists and Creatives. I've used format since 2013 and I'm still very happy with it

PROS

Customer service is the best, very kind and always in time to reach back. Very helpful with any solution or problem that we as customers might experience.

CONS

Maybe just the new layout design but I'm sure we'll get used to it with time. But overall the service is incredibly easy to access and use.

Henry

Fine Art, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2017

Format has helped my social presence flourish

A social presence

PROS

The ease of use of everything about the site! I am able to edit each aspect of my website simply and effectively

CONS

There could always be more themes but I am happy with everything honestly. Also an application for android on the Google play store wouldn't go a miss!

Ruud