All ProSeries Tax Reviews

Reviewed July 2018

Intuit's ProSeries cannot be beaten in the tax industry, there's reason they are the gold standard

The benefits from this software are many. The first one that springs to my mind that is unique in the tax field, is the jump back ability. If you know where something is supposed to flow to the tax return, you can right click on that field and have it take you to where you input that information in. On more complex issues it might only take you to the general area to fill in.

PROS

The thing I like most about this software is the fact I can easily over ride any specific tax issue, and reporting issues that need to be fixed is not that difficult at all, and Intuit responds quickly to fix those issues.

CONS

The thing I like least about this software is the price - it is definitely not cheap, but the increase of productivity is definitely worth the price.

Linda

Accounting, 1 employee

Reviewed October 2018

I've been using ProSeries for 10+ years... and I have foreign clients....

If you have foreign-based tax clients, or domestic clients with foreign earned income, Proseries works flawlessly. If you prefer a forms-based software, Proseries is the best, with little-to-no jumping around to various screens.

PROS

- Input: It works well as forms-based, unlike other "forms-based input" programs who have a pop-up window saying, "you can't information here, go to the ....". Proseries has worksheets built into the actual forms (Schedule B, C, etc.) - Very easy to work with. - Foreign: Works well with Preparers who have a foreign address (me) AND Clients with foreign addresses (all my clients). Whoever wrote that it won't, well, they don't know what they are talking about. Foreign income flows to the 1040 simply by checking a box, rather than having to fill out a "substitute W-2" like most other tax software. - No need to fill out a 1099 for interest or dividend income, like most other software. Proseries has a simple worksheet within the schedule B form. (Foreign clients do not receive US government forms like the 1099s or W-2s.) - ProSeries works extremely well for professionals who understand tax. (I can't speak for newbies who have no idea what form goes with what income/expense/etc., and don't really understand how everything flows to the actual return.) - Foreign Reporting: FBAR. E-filing of the Form 114 (FBAR) is within each tax client and is e-filed with the 1040 and states. All returns, including states and the FBAR are in the homebase and in the e-file center. Easy!

CONS

- PRICE! - The Online version is not as good as the desktop version. Pity. - Small complaint: The Form 1116 explanation isn't self-populating (Foreign Tax reduction). - Small complaint: Not being able to open more than one return at a time, such as when working with 8615 or an 8854 (dual status return/statement). - Small complaint: Form 8938 not populating Treasury form 114 (FBAR) or vice versa.

Zach

Reviewed March 2021

ANY SOFTWARE IS BETTER THAN THIS

The biggest thing to consider is that Intuit just releases this product each year without any incentive or reason to make it better. I'm sure you've seen all their TurboTax and QuickBooks commercials and advertising. Those are the products they care about. Not a thing has been added or changed in the last 10 years, but the price has. Why would you give money to a company that doesn't care about the product they sell to you? Intuit doesn't even have any customer service. It's asinine. You don't have anywhere to go for a solution which is huge for tax filing software. We now use Drake for, I kid you not, less than a 1/4 of the cost. IT IS ASTRONOMICALLY BETTER. Even if it wasn't, at least we saved money for a similar product. Drake has a live US person to answer the phone M-F 8AM to 10PM and 8AM to 6PM on Saturdays. The hold time is very quick so you're not stuck on the line waiting. Say you don't have ProSeries up on your computer yet...expect to wait at least 5 minutes before you're in a return looking at what you need. I had clients call me up with a question and I'd have to wait that long just to be able to look at their return. Drake pops up soon as you click the icon. ProSeries for whatever reason does not automatically update so sometimes you get to wait 1/2 hour for an update you had no idea was coming. Intuit only cares about their new theme of pushing tax software and accounting software to everyday people and even on those products, they have terrible support.

PROS

The one thing I do like about the software is that it allows you to jump to errors or fields and forms that need completed.

CONS

This is endless so I will just list as many as I can quickly. By far the worst is support. Intuit literally has a community where we answer each other's questions instead of them offering support so there is no support. It's ridiculous considering the cost. The forms and letters feature is horrible. If it doesn't come out right, forget about trying to fix it. Fields that calculate a number automatically, but there's no source link or info on how it's calculated. You must update before you try to e-file but you don't know there is an update until you e-file. The interface and features are NEVER updated. Doesn't support e-filing all forms. Takes a mind-boggling amount of time to open up the program and each return. Has frequent crashes. Has no form to aid reviewers. Printing takes forever. Honestly, the list is endless. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Reasons for switching to ProSeries Tax

Paying way too much for way too little

Reviewed May 2018

Smooth Sailing

I mentioned earlier that the Customer Service was very helpful and they always resolved my issue when I had to call in. I also really enjoyed the fact that if you had only purchased the Unlimited 1040 returns, as I had, it was very simple to add on the 1120S returns and 1065 returns for S-Corporations and Partnership returns. My firm prepares a variety of business returns and individual returns so being able to add the capability of each return type was definitely a plus for me! I would recommend this software for those Accountants who are just starting out and might not know how many tax returns they will be preparing at first or even what types of tax returns they will be preparing. Intuit was happy to help figure out the best value for my situation.

PROS

This product is very easy to maneuver and move around and within. I came from a background using a different tax software, but was recommended by a colleague to purchase ProSeries for the cost benefit. I was impressed that the software was able to handle the workload over this recent tax season (400+ tax returns) I was also impressed that it was very easy to work with Customer Support on an issue and also to add different Tax Return types within your software program. It was very simple to add on 990 returns for Non-Profit Organizations when I had initially only purchased unlimited 1040 returns.

CONS

One of the things I did not care for with the ProSeries software was the lack of "background" inputting for the return information. The software is more "Form" based and does not provide an in depth separate place/area for inputting the return information. It was not hard to get used to this, but I guess comparing ProSeries to other software, I sort of missed the additional background level where the information is input first.

Peter

Reviewed March 2018

Great mid-size tax firm software

PROS

Features: The Where do I enter button is great. Easy to find almost anything this way Usability: For the intermediate to advanced user - not the lay person that doesn't understand taxes. Cust Service: For 2017 they have taken AWAY and invaluable resource: Online chat support. We have had to spend hours on the phone waiting for support instead of simply doing the chat which is WAY better.

CONS

The automatic log out is a pain. If you have over 30 minutes of inactivity you are logged out and this is a security feature - I get that - but it sure is a pain during tax season when you need it at your finger tips. Also, even though they FINALLY updated the 2017 software with the "Transfer" files to be spaced out, you still CANNOT simply type in the person's last name to find the prior year file. You can ONLY type the first letter of the last name. This is lame and there is absolutely no excuse for this in 2018.

Roger

Reviewed December 2016

Intuit Pro-Series Tax Prep Software

The software is an easy functionality transition if one is familiar with turbotax, another Intuit product. It has more advanced features useful to a professional and some interesting helpful aids.

PROS

It is one of the less expensive packages available for professionals, and since it works off the IRS looking forms, is easy to use for someone familiar with IRS forms. It has a rapid learning curve from turbotax, but is not that intuitive for some of the more intricate bells and whistles the program offers.

CONS

The conversion of prior years tax files to Pro-series is a bit awkward, especially if converting the same company's turbotax files. While the sales reps tell you it will convert last year's turbotax files, it really will not. to do so requires one to obtain the current year's version of turbotax, convert last year's turbotax files to this year's turbotax files AND THEN convert THIS YEAR's TurboTax to Pro-Series! Now that's a trip and a very misleading statement from their sales force if one has to purchase this year's turbotax in order to do the conversion!\ The file system is a bit awkward also in that you must designate a place for ALL the client files. We like to keep a client's files together, the data file from the tax software along with W-2's, 1099s, K-1s etc in a file under the client's name and not group the tax software file with other client's. Once one gets used to this, it is workable but if you move a file you get a lot of strange reactions to the program. While it doesn't cause errors in the tax file or calculation, it will not print or e-file a return even if you launch the program from the data file location!

Stephen

Construction, 2-10 employees

Used less than 2 years

Reviewed March 2021

Great place to do your taxes .

Love it I'm doing my own taxes from here on out . I loved it . So simple . Try it you can do a practice run with their estimate for free no cost at all . What can you lose on that ?

PROS

It's awesome they walk you though it step by step asking you everything they need to ask to find out the best way for you to file. They even have an estimate you can do before you file that will tell you about what your looking at which was awesome. I filed my taxes for 49.00 which was the cheapest I've ever done my taxes for they estimated me getting around 4,500 back case I have three kids I take care of , and I got back 4,688 which was pretty accurate considering I rounded off my amounts to make an easier estimate . Great program easy to use I would recommend everyone to try it it's really simple and you don't have to know anything about filing taxes it does it all for you if you can answer simple basic questions about yourself and your work .

CONS

I really can't say anything bad it was so simple and easy and saved me a ton of money . I would be ungrateful to say anything bad about this company because it really is the easiest . It was harder for me to go to H&R block and pay those hidden fees they don't really tell you they re charging you especially knowing how simple it was on my own with this program . Great program I give them 10 out of 10 on ease and affordable also a 10 .

Reasons for switching to ProSeries Tax

The cost and hidden fees .

Julia

Reviewed May 2022

Expensive

I have used several tax software this is not bad.

PROS

More tax deductibles such as home owners association fees that compare to Drake do not have that option.

CONS

Very Expensive and wish it had better options like pay per client.

Reason for choosing ProSeries Tax

Just wanted to test it out.

Reviewed September 2023

They won't support windows 11. Can't select forms to print and support won't help.

Support of a major issue was basically blown off. Said they can't help me and won't be looking into it. NEVER HAD SUCH LOUSY SUPPORT IN THE 23 YEARS OF USING TAX SOFTWARE.

PROS

Used to be problem free, but no longer. Boxes don't fit in print window.

CONS

Support won't help fix a problem making this program essentially useless now after installing on brand new Lenovo Thinkpad Windows 11 Pro workstation. Support basically said they won't look into this or escalate.

Reviewed December 2018

Totally User-Friendly!

PROS

This software is really user friendly. It doesn't take long to figure out how to navigate through the software. I also like the Cross-Reference feature, which allows you to see where numbers carried forward have come from.

CONS

The updates sometimes come a little later than would be preferable.

Dara

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

Reviewed January 2024

Run Away! Do Not Purchase

ProSeries Tax Software Totally Sucks! Horrible software

PROS

There are no pros. There is nothing nice to say about the software

CONS

The conversion of this software has been a disaster. The software is not user friendly.

Reasons for switching to ProSeries Tax

Cost factor was the driving decision. Someone else was looking for a software that could generate reports for Admin review.

Darlene

Legal Services, 1 employee

Reviewed February 2020

Tax Software Leader

I've been using Pro Series to generate and efile tax returns since Intuit bought out Parsons decades ago.

PROS

Pro Series is easy to use even on complex returns. It is flexible. I prefer to go straight to the returns because I know which ones to use. But it can also guide you through with questions.

CONS

The price is very high for a small firm. It is the price that makes me look at other products. I am sure Intuit must be making a huge profit but it takes a serious bite out of mine.

Reasons for switching to ProSeries Tax

I was originally with Parsons and switched when Intuit bought it.

Debbie

Reviewed February 2019

Professional Tax Preparation

PROS

Our Tax Preparation business would be ineffective without the expertise of Intuit ProSeries. We have relied on this software for many, many years and we can always be confident that the last changes in tax law will be effective in our final tax outcome.

CONS

This software is not cheap, but worth every penny. You really do get what you pay for. You'll need some basic tax knowledge when navigating the software, but I would hope that if you are using ProSeries, you are already a tax professional.

Mgcini Norman

Accounting, 1 employee

Reviewed July 2021

Inuit ProSeries Review

I have observed Pro collection to be extremely accurate and a satisfaction to use, with very beneficial steerage and numerous time saving features.

PROS

This software program is easy to apply. It has a find characteristic that lets in you to look for the areas of facts that you need to input. It also automobile-calculates so that you can examine your calculations at some point of the system and see what your customers can be paying or receiving lower back. They do an amazing activity of programming and sporting forward the necessary statistics. They are constantly updating and making better at some point of tax season . Ease of use and on line assist. The software is very easy to recognize and it workflow, walking the user thru earnings and deductions. Each vicinity has help within the utility, in addition to internet primarily based. I love that it is completely cloud-based.

CONS

Setting invoices is not clean to do .It can be problematic to use in case you aren't used to working with it before. The price of the product is getting very excessive .It takes too long to load to get to the primary page to look facts.

George

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed May 2018

I've used tax software since its inception and wouldn't prepare tax without it!

recordkeeping, organization, tracking deductions between years, and estimating taxes due.

PROS

Ease of use and online help. The software is very easy to understand and it workflow, walking the user through income and deductions. Each area has help in the application, as well as internet based. Customer service is also available via telephone. Forms can be viewed prior to proceeding and worksheets are available to better understand how calculations are determined. Best of all, there are several versions from beginner to business to very complex. It is a full service application and load previous year numbers into the current year. This is very valuable.

CONS

There are no true cons. The software is inexpensive, can download to your computer, and intuitive to use. This software has improved over the years.

Randy

Reviewed August 2017

Great product, solid value

An overall solid choice if you are looking for a step up from Drake or a more reasonably priced alternative to Lacerte or ATX. I demoed ATX and it is lacking. I like Drake but feel more confident with Proseries in terms of accuracy.

PROS

Accurate, fairly easy to learn, good customer support. Even the basic module come with a solid help and research module. The pro module is available for business return but can also be used for more complicated 1040 returns.

CONS

Intuit needs to find a way to keep pricing under control. For now, there are deep discounts on most configurations. Make sure to check state returns carefully.

Randy