All DigitalOcean Reviews

Marc Vincent

Why I love DigitalOcean

Easy, fast, and will not break the bank.

PROS

Set up is a breeze even if I've only started working with Linux when I tried it.

CONS

Basic Linux/server knowledge is required to effectively use their service which is common to VPS services.

Reason for choosing DigitalOcean

DigitalOcean doesn't have as much features/capabilities as AWS or GCP but what it has is enough for someone just trying out VPS (and even for more advanced usage). They also managed to distill the features down to the most basic so it's not as daunting as AWS or GCP.

Reasons for switching to DigitalOcean

DigitalOcean's interface was cleaner and much easier to digest especially for someone just starting out.

Burak

Civil Engineering, 1 employee

Reviewed August 2022

Affordable but has some problems

My overall experience with them is good but I suggest DigitalOcean users to back up their droplets frequently to another service provider. If they lock your account, the customer service is hard to reach and if they wouldn't restore your access, you are risking losing your data.

PROS

The user interface is really easy to use, with a few clicks it allows you to create a droplet across the globe. Also, it is easy to manage access controls and overall network/firewall rules. They provide affordable S3 like data storage solution called "Spaces". If you are switching from Amazon S3, the best thing about Spaces is it compatible with official S3 libraries which eliminates the implementation process as you can use the same infrastructure for Spaces too.

CONS

They should revise Spaces product page/documentation. I had to reach customer support to verify that spaces is just a subscription service so it comes with unlimited buckets. This information is not provided on their product page. Also, their customer service is really hard to reach, and they are not helpful. The worst thing about their service is their automated bots. They can lock your account without a valid reason, and it really hard to convince them to undo it.

Reason for choosing DigitalOcean

The control panel of DigitalOcean is better than Vultr.

Reasons for switching to DigitalOcean

Amazon AWS was too expensive.

Reviewed January 2023

Worst company ever, losing data

Worst

PROS

It was having good UI but that is not enough at all.

CONS

After upgrading my managed database it is losing a few days of data and networking not working, so my platform is unreachable and no solution already 2 days.

Musa

Banking, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed January 2024

Impressive and reliable way to accelerate growth.

Cost effective and user friendly software. Best for all.

PROS

DigitalOcean has unique and very relatable features which are key ingredients to building a lasting customer experience. It is quite cost effective and simple to use. The customer support team has been very active in assisting us in setting up the tool. Web hosting and VPS hosting are made effortless. DigitalOcean is a great idea.

CONS

DigitalOcean is good. Nothing is challenging especially with prior knowledge on similar tools.

Reviewed June 2020

Deploying Linux or open-source software? Use DigitalOcean

In a word -- superb on all fronts -- as an example, we were replicating a certain image type that wouldn't work -- any time we'd load the image on a new box, it would fail. It turned out to be a very specific issue around the length of the image name on a specific Debian release -- the DigitalOcean support team figured it out, and looped back with us, long after we'd simply rebuilt the image.

PROS

The most amazingly refreshing platform to use in a long time, especially for back-end work. We'd switched from AWS, which was incredibly cumbersome to administer.

CONS

We sometimes have had to migrate between data centers because the machines we wanted in the data center in which we already had nodes didn't have the same node available for scaling.

at the time, price and ease of administration

at the time, price and ease of administration

Reviewed September 2020

The best cloud computing company I have ever used

I build custom software for clients and have some SaaS products hosted on the platform. Their data security, availability and high velocity servers make me confident to do my job while they keep it online. I'm a completely happy costumer! They are providing me a perfect experience for more than 4 years.

PROS

The awesome user interface of the product is a killing feature, ages ahead of competition. I love how simple and efficient everything is, from deploying a new droplet to asking for support. They offer an excellent service at very low cost. They helped me starting my business, teaching me with their free tutorials how to build and manage servers.

CONS

I would love to see investments on a Brazilian datacenter. This is the only missing feature for me.

Reason for choosing DigitalOcean

DigitalOcean is simpler to configure and manage. It's billing system doesn't include hidden costs. It's starting price is affordable for a bootstrapped developer.

Reasons for switching to DigitalOcean

DigitalOcean has a better ecosystem of features, a really helpful community, the best tutorials on the internet and public plans for the future. I'm more confident they will succeed in the long run .

Carlos

Research, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed September 2020

Easy to setup and very useful

Excellent. Start working in minutes, and I am not an IT professsional. Digital Ocean offers very flexible plans and it is very easy to switch alternatives when needed. Invoices are clear and fair. I use Digital Ocean to mount one or more servers for my personal work, involving data analysis and education. It has saved me hours of installing software and allows working virtually from any location and any device.

PROS

Very easy to setup, all the options that I need are available, can start working in minutes.

CONS

I would like more low-cost alternatives.

Reason for choosing DigitalOcean

Digital Ocean is very, very easy to setup, even for non-experts as my case. I have found straightforward directions to install every software I have needed, with up-to-date information.

Reasons for switching to DigitalOcean

The former service was very difficult for me.

Jesse

Reviewed September 2020

Digital Ocean has saved me a lot of money

The pricing is fantastic and has really forced me to abandon any expensive managed hosting platforms. With DO, I can use the latest web server technology when I want. I have experience nothing but great, prompt customer service.

PROS

Along with great guides, DO has provided me and my clients with a growing list of tools to be more productive.

CONS

The learning curve was steep when I started using DO several years ago. I imagine those with no experience in this area would struggle but the guides really helped.

Reason for choosing DigitalOcean

Less corporate. Wanted to support what I saw as a smaller company. Less restrictions. Better quality services. Cheaper.

Arun

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed August 2020

Choose DO as a reliable and affordable cloud provider

I have been a long time customer of Digital Ocean and used their droplets to run Wordpress based websites and applications. The service is always reliable and also their customer support team is super helpful.

PROS

DigitalOcean provides an inexpensive and easy-to-manage cloud platform that offers reliable services that is very well-designed. The design language across the platform is clean and modern. It literally takes minutes to spin a server get to work.

CONS

The service is heavily developer focused so non-developers (Business users) to use the system without a fair bit of learning curve. This is a not necessarily a disadvantage but calling out so buyers make informed decisions.

Reason for choosing DigitalOcean

Started using digital ocean before Amazon had come up with a droplet equivalent. Due to the familiarity i invariably chose DO over AWS.

Selim Emre

Computer Software, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed June 2023

Easy to use GUI

Digital Ocean is well-suited for beginners to use.

PROS

Digital Ocean provides a lot of guides, making it easy to use for beginners as well.

CONS

There is a problem with the bandwidth feature as Digital Ocean does not provide guaranteed bandwidth. This limitation makes it challenging to utilize their services in the streaming industry.

Reasons for switching to DigitalOcean

I required guaranteed bandwidth for streaming purposes, so I made the switch to AWS and OVH.

Samuel Isaí

Reviewed August 2023

from good to perfect

Digital ocean was my first IaaS and it is so easy to start learning how it works, i have deploy 4 backend servers and i feel confortable when i think of creating more of them in digital ocean, so the only thing that is left is funtions (like AWS with lambda funtions)

PROS

I love GUI, how easy it´s to deploy a react app with a droplet o a backend with nodejs

CONS

I had some issues with my spaces and contacted customer service around 3 time and they didn´t give a solution

Reason for choosing DigitalOcean

just because i did understand digital ocean docs more than AWS docs and pricing

Christian

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed June 2022

Great Cloud Provider

I use DigitalOcean for deploying and hosting a few web applications. A couple of them are with collaboration with a designer or another developer. Setting up new instances of different products is easy and deploying is a breeze.

PROS

Very easy to use - can get started pretty quickly with little to no training.

CONS

Parts of the dashboard UI differ too much, making the products that are different harder to find things for configuration.

Reason for choosing DigitalOcean

Scalability, reliability, and cost.

Reasons for switching to DigitalOcean

Mainly the integrations of Git - GitLab to be specific.

Piotr

Internet, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2021

A good place for your VPS

We use DigitalOcean for a couple of years now to maintain our websites. It keeps running with no issues, so we are pleased with that outcome.

PROS

Very easy to create, backup and replicate VPS servers. Everything is in the right place and the web panel is very user friendly. Pricing for newly created servers is very clear and fair.

CONS

Sometimes you need to get to the console, do the research and set up something, but it's VPS so you kind of agreed to that

Recommendation

Reasons for switching to DigitalOcean

DigitalOcean was recommended by our DevOps

Entertainment, 2-10 employees

Excellent VPS Hosting

DigitalOcean basically runs all of our cloud infrastructure at this point! From web servers and databases to our inventory management applications- everything has never been more stable, secure and I 10/10 recommend DigitalOcean!

PROS

The ease of use is really what shines here, it just works. Over the past 2 years I have had almost no downtime! All of my cloud infrastructure runs on Digital Ocean now, and I've never even bothered looking elsewhere!

CONS

The only downfall, is that I wish there were more flexible pricing options. I wish there was a droplet sized smaller then the $5 option, as well as more a-la-carte options

Pricing and customer service

Reviewed November 2022

A cheap, but powerful, way of hosting projects

I have found DigitalOcean to be incredibly useful, extensible, and cheap. The learning curve was very steep, for someone not really used to using the command line. However, once I'd put in the initial work, I now have a very capable setup.

PROS

For basic use, the lowest tier (or Droplet, in DigitalOcean speak) is very attractive. Regular automatic backups can be added for a small fee, and Droplets can be increased in size and power very easily to match your needs. It really is a blank slate, so you can install pretty much any software onto a Droplet.

CONS

It can be quite intimidating to have to set up everything yourself. If you're coming from a regular hosting service, such as GoDaddy or Heart Internet, the amount of steps involved to just get a basic server up and running, coupled with keeping everything safe from security loopholes and hacking attempts, can be off-putting.

Aaron

Publishing, 2-10 employees

Reviewed September 2023

DigitalOcean is a wonderful tool for developers and small businesses

My overall experience. When I first started, I was a beginner in server management. There was a time where I didn't know what I was doing. But after spending time with the documentation and researching further user forums, I felt more confident that I understood how DigitalOcean worked for me. Now I can safely say that this was a good investment into my future business.

PROS

I really enjoy the use of Droplets to build my own servers just the way I want. With options to control how large my server is and more options to scale it in the future, I can be assured that DigitalOcean will have what I need.

CONS

There is always room for improvement with any application. DigitalOcean makes is hard to find faults but I would say improving the console experience is always at the forefront of my mind. Making shortcuts and scripts to set up servers quickly would be nice for brand new users.

Reason for choosing DigitalOcean

With DigitalOcean, the starting price point made the deal for me. I also wanted to learn from the ground up instead of having a pre-built solution. Both options are welcome in certain contexts but when you need to learn more and dive deeper, take a dip in the DigitalOcean.

Stefan

Building Materials, 2-10 employees

My favorite vps provider

PROS

That is cheap and has great community support

CONS

Biling i would like to pay anualy not wvery month

Reasons for switching to DigitalOcean

DO had support for serverpilot, and my websites worket faster at the moment i made the tests

Ngala Emmanuel