All PDQ Deploy & Inventory Reviews

Scott

51 - 200 employees

Used unspecified

Reviewed November 2023

Its the Best Tool I've Ever Used!

Joe

Automotive, 201-500 employees

Reviewed December 2022

Great product and time saver.

PDQ Deploy has been great for us. We use it for patching along with baseline software setup for all new machines. This has saved us tons of time, and helped to automate the process.

PROS

PDQ Deploy has been a great time saver for us. The wide range of deploying software makes installing, updating or patching quick and efficient without having to babysit each step of the process.

CONS

Understanding the layout of how the application packages are created and stacking multiple steps can be a bit confusing until you walk through a few different ones.

Reasons for switching to PDQ Deploy & Inventory

The ease and larger number of formats that are supported.

Brian

Telecommunications, 51-200 employees

Has proven it's worth

It has mostly been positive. There are a few pain points that we're still trying to figure out, such as stale DNS records for workstations. But besides this we're quite happy with the product.

PROS

We've been using PDQ Deploy/Inventory for the past couple of years to manage our employee machines as well as our Windows servers. The ability to push out a new piece of software, or to patch older software with just a few click has been invaluable with how much time it's saved us.

CONS

With a lot of our employee's working from home during and now after the pandemic, one short-coming of the software is that there is a complete lack of management for remote devices. If the workstation is not on the "local" network with the PDQ server it is impossible to manage. Having an agent that phones home to the PDQ server and handles all tasks would be the ideal solution to this.

Reason for choosing PDQ Deploy & Inventory

The catered library of software, and the ease of integration into our AD environments was a significant part of the decision, but also the community recommendations and reviews on Reddit and other sources as well.

Marcus

Hospital & Health Care, 5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewed June 2021

Some features and .NET dependecy

We use A lot, but we thing that a several GAPs to top tools, like Flexera and Snow.

PROS

I thing PDQ Inventory is the easyest inventory tool ever.

CONS

We dont go to lastest version available because the new versions have dependency of higher .NET, and upgrade that just to follow PDQ is not that simple.

DANIEL

Libraries, 51-200 employees

Reviewed December 2020

PDQ Review

Overall this is an excellent software. With ease of use and one click solutions it has produced less headaches then other solutions.

PROS

PDQ deploy is easy to use and install on your network. The functionality of the software allows ease of use deployment packages and updating with simple one click downloads. Built side by side with PDQ inventory target device management is simple and fun.

CONS

PDQ deploy in my opinion needs a GUI interface boost to bring it into the modern world. It has an old ADUC feel, but needs to be updated with a cloud platform feel or use. It would be very beneficial for a lot of organizations with an off-premise option.

Reason for choosing PDQ Deploy & Inventory

PDQ had a more simplistic feel than the more robust solutions. To many complications can cause headaches and PDQ allows you to stay simple or expand as far as you want.

Ray

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed February 2022

The one challenge that we were able to overcome was identifying our computers that had versions of Windows 10 that were no longer supported by Microsoft.

PROS

We really appreciate the ability to view Windows versioning. It help us identify the outdated computers so we could get them updated. It saved us countless hours.

CONS

I can't think of a con. The only con I can identify is, that we have to take time to learn some aspects of the functionality.

Reasons for switching to PDQ Deploy & Inventory

We switched from Desktop Central because of the price.

Bryan

Banking, 201-500 employees

Reviewed June 2022

Inexpensive but crazy powerful

I absolutely love it, but you have to have PDQ Inventory with it! If you want full IT Godhood, you have to both parts. Thankfully the price means it won't break the budget, heck we buy laptops for more than the yearly cost of both of these.

PROS

It is so intuitive that after watching a 30 minute video from youtube (love the channel btw) a brand new user will be able to deploy software and run reports.

CONS

I wish that this software would integrate into Smart Deploy, so I can push OS as well as software

Reason for choosing PDQ Deploy & Inventory

We went with PDQ because the price was perfect, and the functionality was everything we needed.

Duncan

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 51-200 employees

PDQ - SysAdmin's Dream!

All I can say is that I wish I had found this product sooner. As a 1 man band at a company of 150 users this makes my life so much easier and gives me a great overall view of what's on my network. 10/10 recommend.

PROS

Where to start! Love the preconfigured Collections that lets us know about which most common applications are out of date, and then we can literally right-click and Select PDQ Deploy to update them.Very easy program to use and I love the reporting side of it.

CONS

There could be more commonly used Reports straight out of the box, but not that big of a deal as it's easy to create your own and run against a collection.

Reason for choosing PDQ Deploy & Inventory

Pricing and ability to do what I need it to do.

Piotr

Wholesale, 51-200 employees

Reviewed April 2022

PDQ is amazing.

PROS

Number of options and flexibility of any PDQ product is amazing. Systems are super easy to deploy and work with. There is no better product on the market, and I've been tested multiple and still use some as addition to PDQ.

CONS

There is none, but it will be great if PDQ could work without having clients on VPN in the future. (And I think they are working on it)

Reason for choosing PDQ Deploy & Inventory

Clear licensing, great price and great and clear communication in pre-purchase stage.

Bob

Information Technology and Services, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed December 2022

Perfect for mid-tier patch management

PROS

It's easy to create groups of servers that may need to be patched at different times based on usage. That also makes it easy to manage which patches are most important depending on server usage. i.e. is it connected to the Internet or not.

CONS

The biggest pain point is that it does not support Linux servers.

Reasons for switching to PDQ Deploy & Inventory

Opsware was getting very expensive. However, it did help us manage both Windows and Linux platforms and that part of it is missed greatly.

Sonam

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 201-500 employees

A regular PDQ user of 1 person IT department

I ran into projects after projects during pandemic. was looking for a tool to manage everything remotely, PDQ demo took place and went for it right away. Saved tons of time deploying patches, softwares, custom installations and much more. This tool allowed me to run whole IT department single handedly.

PROS

Ease of use, simplicity, effectiveness. PDQ has nice video based how to dos and that was helpful.

CONS

Two part of deploy and inventory, can they be one?

Reason for choosing PDQ Deploy & Inventory

Demo was promising and trial was exactly what I was looking for.

Dirk

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed December 2022

Quick overview of your installed assets and their software inventory

We maintain the latest Security patches for applications and deploy where necessary. It's important to run latest version of software.

PROS

We can easily see all of our connected hardware in one overview, Windows version, build version etc. It's great you can update packages installed on devices and see which are outdated or got the latest version you accepted. You can use the inventory and copy the devices easily and use them in PDQ deploy.

CONS

If devices run at home it's hardware to track them and obtain updates. Once they connect back in the office it starts to work again or you have to setup VPN which is possible too.

Reason for choosing PDQ Deploy & Inventory

We believe Intune is not mature enough yet to replace PDQ inventory.

Richard

Education Management, 51-200 employees

PDQ Deploy for Education

I literally cannot do my job without this software. I daresay that once you try it, you will find that you will agree with me.

PROS

The software itself works really well. The hard part consists of getting all the machines to talk to each other and then figuring out the silent command -line statements that are needed to install the software. For most of the well-known software, the silent switches are well known and for the most popular tools PDQ will even supply their own scripts.

CONS

I'd love PDQ Deploy to re-imagine their local Agent idea. The last time they tried it supposedly didnt meet their standards. I'd say look at other software like Goverlan and even AWS Thinkbox Deadline (a renderfarm manager) to see how they do a local Agent to see if those would meet the criteria. PDQ has no ability to install software that doesn't offer a command-line silent switch. You'd think that this would never come up in Education but... you'd be surprised. We run a lot of 3D and VFX apps that are made by one developer and when you ask them for the silent switches they reply "what are you talking about" . Now, to be sure, this isn't really a "con" of PDQ, but it is fair to mention. If you have any software that just doesn't have any command-line automation which can run silently via a Windows Service User, you'll have to get something alongside PDQ Deploy to make that happen.

Reason for choosing PDQ Deploy & Inventory

Goverlan's ability to deploy software isn't as powerful as PDQ's. However, I am using Goverlan concurrently because PDQ doesn't offer actual remote-access screensharing to the desktop for those apps that don't have command-line functionality for installation (they exist!!!!!)

Government Administration, 51-200 employees

Reviewed January 2023

Amazing Software for Managing and Updating Windows Computers

Before using PDQ Deploy, we were periodically re-imaging our public computers which was a time consuming process as we have multiple areas in the library each with different software programs installed. In between re-imaging, key utility programs would regularly become out of date, negatively impacting patrons usage of the computers. Now with PDQ Deploy, we are able to easily update only specific software programs across all areas, irregardless of the overall software image in use. Simpler and faster process allows for the computers to be updated on a quicker schedule resulting in a better overall experience for our patrons, and significantly less time expended by IT staff.

PROS

The included Package Library is a fantastic added value to the program providing prepared and tested packages for installing/updating most of the popular/requested software programs. Very easy to use without having to study a lengthy manual. Seemless integration with existing systems and AD. Regular updates to the software, weekly webcasts, extensive video tutorials on usage.

CONS

None that I can really think of. Not a fan of the new program icons which make it more difficult to identify which program is which, but that's really a minor nitpick.

Ian

Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees

Keeping tabs with PDQ Inventory

I started using the free version at a former job and introduced it to my team at my current job. I asked a few times for the licensed version and eventually after i produced a potential ROI document i managed to get 2 licenses for both deploy and inventory. My colleague and i get so much more accomplished leaving time for the more physical side of our jobs.

PROS

I love everything about this software. The tools are all there, command line, MMC Management, Reboot, remote assist and desktop wake... Dunamic grouping so i can keep abreast of what needs this or that software. What operating System, whether it is laptop, desktop or server. Registry printers etc etc, is there anything it cant do.

CONS

None absolutely none. With this in my tool box i save myself weeks worth of work within a year. The ROI impresses the fiscal department, our turnaround of work requests jumped staggeringly according to our quality and rounding departments.

Reason for choosing PDQ Deploy & Inventory

Honest reviews on Spiceworks from peers in my line of work, after testing the free version i was hooked.

Jamie

Government Administration, 201-500 employees

PDQ Deply and Inventory

As stated above, this has made my monthly patching much easier and also allowed me to auto patch more apps than just Windows updates. I have also built out auto deployment packages that I use when settin gup new machines. I add them to my domain, Inventory picks them up on scan and adds them to a dynamic collection, Deploys heartbeat deployment for that collection pushes out the preconfigured list of apps/packages and generates a message on each machine when finished.

PROS

Tried this out after some frustration with SCCM. While the MS product was getting my monthly patch Tuesday stuff covered, it felt a little complicated to manage. With PDQ deploy, it feels much easier, plus im now getting windows patches as well as patching many other apps(Chrome, edge, 7-zip, VLC, etc.) in what I feel is a much more user friendly and intuitive interface.

CONS

Has built-in support for VNC for remote control which I don't currently use. I'll be making the switch but wish there were other options.

Rick

Civil Engineering, 201-500 employees

Reviewed August 2021

Indispensable inventory managment

Our most typical use case for PDQI is determining what software/versions are installed on each machine so we don't need to waste time (or create confusion) in pushing updates to machines that are already current -Watching un-updated computers drop from the dynamic collections gives peace of mind and an easy metric for completion.

PROS

The ability to create a huge variety of reports on every element of the hardware and software in our environment (at least that I've come up with a need for so far) is a priceless function on its own, but the ability build both static and dynamic collections that integrate seamlessly with PDQ Deploy makes both programs excel - Using both in tandem is like having cheat codes for hardware and software management.

CONS

Sometimes finding the right combination of conditions to build the collections can be a little tricky, but support is ALWAYS there to help get things resolved quickly.

Cesar

Paper & Forest Products, 51-200 employees

Reviewed December 2022

Great quality of life from a very powerful program

I have had a tremendously positive experience. I have more time on my hands to address more complicated tasks and bigger projects now that I don't have to perform repetitive tasks, and I can rest easy when I push a critical windows update because I will know which computers got the update and which ones only need to restart.

PROS

We like being able to perform the same repetitive task, deploy configurations and installations, and keep consistency across our computers. We reclaimed so much time with how fast we can now do these tasks! It is straightforward to use, and there are so many ways to perform my tasks that I only need to choose the easiest way that I know to do them. The community and knowledge base articles are a treasure trove whenever I need to do something new that I don't yet know how to do.

CONS

I think the only improvement that I would like to see is a way to know that a failure to deploy is something other than the network path was not found. If I deploy a package to multiple computers and some of them fail with an error code and some where network paths can't be found,, I need to look at each failure across multiple failed deployments to make sure that they all did not fail with an error.

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 51-200 employees