All OpenTable Reviews

Emtiaz

Hospital & Health Care, 11 - 50 employees

Used less than 2 years

Reviewed June 2022

There is Always a Table with OpenTable!

paulina

Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees

Reviewed May 2020

Quick reservation with no need to call

Easy and convenient. Painless way to make a quick restaurant reservations without being put on hold or talking to a person. Can view manu and everything there is to know about restaurant I'm looking at online.

PROS

I have been using open table on both sides. I use it to make my personal restaurant reservations and I use it at the restaurant I work for as a server. I love that when I view restaurants and want to make a reservation about 70% of total restaurants have open table. Its quick and painless way to make a reservation without being put on hold by a hostess..sometimes for very very long time. It give you chose of time and you can read all about the place you looking at. It shows you :hours, Entertainment, menu, you see photos that costumers posted, you see map of location, even who the chef is. Making reservation takes less then 10 seconds!!!! Fast and confident. As a worker it's very easy to operate system. Brainless I would say. I like that I can make notes for each reservation. Such a sever request or allergy.

CONS

For my personal use I never had an issue. As me working with open table every here and then reservations are not showing on my side as hostess/server. I had few angry guest. Will never know if that was a costumer fult or open table system fult for not processing reservation.

Kelly

Food & Beverages, 51-200 employees

Reviewed June 2020

A great reservations software for restaurants

Everything about OpenTable for Restaurants was an experience worth remembering. I never found myself getting lost or hung up on a problem with the software and creating reservations for the guests frequenting the restaurant. It did such a fantastic job with estimating the time that a table will be sitting to eat, depending on their party size, and adjust the schedule based on this. There would be reminders and notes when this would be approaching so I could let the customers know in advance so they didn’t have to come in and get upset. It allowed us to be able to go above and beyond to ensure our guests had the four star experience they were paying for.

PROS

Where to start when it comes to the best features of the OpenTable software. First and foremost, it is incredibly simple to pick up how to use it after only a few reservations have been made, it’s that great of a system. As a front of the house team member, it allowed me to view the entire floor plan of the restaurant on screen in a visual way that made the most sense to me, which made making reservations that much easier. When it came time to create the reservation, it was a matter of clicking on the proper icon from either a view of the floor plan or a view of the timeline. You are shown an overall view of the guests names and their party size as well as given an estimated time their party will likely be sat given their past visits to the restaurant and based of the average time of a party that size.

CONS

The software version I used has since been updated several times and I’m sure anything that was missing then has been added by now. As a user for multiple years, I strongly believe that there was hardly anything I can think of that was wrong with OpenTable. It helped me complete my job efficiently and all the guests seemed to enjoy their process of using it as well.

Gladys

Non-Profit Organization Management, 201-500 employees

Reviewed March 2024

"Table for two, please" has never been easier

Overall, if you're a frequent restaurant diner, you must have Open Table. There are places that will tell you there are no reservations available, but Open Table updates in real time when reservations are cancelled and will even notify you if a table opens in a booked-out restaurant you are looking to dine in. It's also great when dining with a group, because you can filter by cuisines, group size, distance and other factors.

PROS

I like being able to have options by simply using my location to find restaurants near me that have open tables for my group size. No more going from place to place, waiting for a table. I also like the reminders that come via text and the ability to add the reservation to my Google Calendar.

CONS

They have a rewards program, but the app makes it unclear as to how to qualify or what the qualifiers are to earn rewards, but it sends you a notification on each reservation that you didn't earn them. It's really confusing, because the reminder that you're not earning rewards should then include instructions on how to do so.

Christine

Hospitality, 11-50 employees

Issues that need Attention

good , I dont' want to change reservations management yet.

PROS

Our restaurant name The Dock is used by several other unrelated venues and Opentable users often book with my venue but think they are booking in Florida or Pennsylvania, etc. This is annoying and blocks tables we lose at the last minute. I have requested that Opentable resolve this simple matter - ASK WHAT LOCATION the dinner wants. Thank you

CONS

$7.50 per booking is expensive.. Customers call and complain to me directly when they book on line and then cancel with short notice and are ANGRY! when we charge what they supposively agreed to pay if they cancel. We lose business and or we make diners angry. The POLICY needs to be MORE OBVIOUS to the diner, they will pay if they CANCEL SHORT NOTICE>

Vincent

Mental Health Care, 11-50 employees

Reviewed March 2024

Love the App and Love the Rewards System

I have been using OpenTable for over six years (since 2018). I have accumulated wealth of points, rewards, and enjoy OpenTable VIP status and absolutely love my experince with this app. I only wish that more restaurants would adopt the app for their reservation system because it is so easy to use. Everytime I use to app, I always have my table waiting when I arrive at the restaurant. Beautiful!

PROS

I love that OpenTable is so intuitive and easy to use to book reservations. I have been using OpenTable since 2018 and have accummulated OpenTable VIP status with over 150+ booked and completed reservations. They have an awesome rewards system where you can redeem OpenTable points for cool things like Amazon gift cards.

CONS

I have one "if only" for OpenTable. If only. . .you could change the day of a reservation that is already booked, it would be GREAT! Currently, you can only change the time of the reservation. You cannot add people and you cannot change the day to an already booked reservation. You have to go in and cancel to start over.

Brian

Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2024

Joined for free during a covid deal

Unfortunately I feel like it's mandatory now. But I long for the days before covid when we purposefully DIDN'T take reservations.

PROS

I liked that it was free for a while. It was essential when we had only 5 tables during covid mandatory outdoor dining.

CONS

You get used to having it, you customers get used to having it, and then the price seems exorbitant.

Reason for choosing OpenTable

it was free. I needed SOMETHING. I had always assumed I'd drop it after Covid. Still might...

Max

Great Reservation Management Software

PROS

Marketing options, large customer reach, customer support

CONS

Mobile/iPad version of apps vs. webpage are missing some features and you will need to go onto a laptop or desktop to utilize.

Christian

Hospitality, 51-200 employees

Great product

PROS

Ease and the customer facing ability to get your restaurant reservations.

CONS

It should have a profile for restaurants that are not on it to really show the maximum dining options

Maria

Public Relations and Communications, 2-10 employees

Reviewed April 2024

Opentable helps streamline restaurant operations and enhance guest experience

OpenTable has been a game-changer for my client's restaurant. Its restaurant management and reservation management features, coupled with its commitment to enhancing the guest experience, make it a key part of my client's operations.

PROS

From managing reservations to optimizing seating arrangements and tracking guest preferences, OpenTable simplifies every aspect of running a restaurant for my clients. Everyone can easily view and manage reservations, ensuring that we can accommodate guests efficiently and effectively. And waitlist management/table status updates enable us to minimize wait times.

CONS

There is nothing I dislike about Opentable.

shalva

Very good stuff

PROS

Reliability and exposure to guests and clients

CONS

I likve evrything no cons

Leo

Reviewed June 2023

Wouldn't use it if I didn't have to

PROS

Some elements of the platform are intuitive and easy to use. Pacing controls work pretty well, but I don't like much else.

CONS

I spent years avoiding using OpenTable because I take issue with their pricing structure. In 2022 our brand mandated its use, so we made the switch. There are a handful of useful features but I have largely been unimpressed with it. I dislike that each device you use it on has different functionality -- I feel we should largely be able to do the same things on the mobile app that we can on an ipad or a PC. It makes things more cumbersome than they should be. I still take issue with their pricing structure as we operated our business for nearly 20 years using platforms that do not have a per-cover charge. And for the price we should have more robust messaging (SMS), better automated confirmation processes, and we should be able to take a credit card guarantee via our local website booking widget without having to pay the per-cover price (this is an issue with their API and I have not been given any timeline of a fix). Overall I'm largely unimpressed, just as I always expected to be.

Reason for choosing OpenTable

I would not have chosen OpenTable if I could have avoided it.

Reasons for switching to OpenTable

We were forced due to the introduction of a brand standard for our franchise operation.

Restaurants, 201-500 employees

Reviewed February 2020

Great Reservation and Seating System

OpenTable provides a lot of functions that benefit us. From a seating system to online reservation system, it supports the flow of the restaurant. It provides features that allows us to keep up with guests requests, VIPs, referrals and even integrates with our email provider for marketing. It is a great overall tool.

PROS

It is very user friendly for guests and admins. It is easy to navigate and flows very well. Makes the experience better for everyone.

CONS

It works very well and there are not any current functions that we are looking for that is not provided.

Reasons for switching to OpenTable

Yelp did not have the same functionality and reach

paul

Restaurants, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed May 2021

Not only great for reservations......

OpenTable has been great for running the dining room more efficiently, and allows us to maximize our reservations and table turns like never before. Our hosts can confidently run the dining room from the tablet at the host stand and deal with all the reservations, walk ins, call aheads, using a waiting list. Everything is very easy to manage. With the ability to enter such succinct information about each table sat as to where they are in their meal, whether it is appetizer, meal, dessert, is the check on the table....it makes it much easier to estimate when a table will be done, so we can quote guests the proper wait time. I have been thoroughly impressed with OpenTable since we started using it a few years ago.

PROS

Most everything you can do with this software is very intuitive. Very easy to learn how to do multiple things very quickly and very easy to teach my other employees to do the same. I love how I can run my dining room on a busy weekend night from my tablet and be in complete control of all reservations, walk ins, and call aheads.

CONS

Very few issues with this software. If i had to come up with one for the review, i would say that it can be slightly buggy every once in awhile. What i mean is, some settings that i have changed to block tables for reservations or reconfigure the dining room setup can revert to previous settings without my doing. Once in a blue moon, but it is very frustrating when it happens.

Kimberly

Industrial Automation, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed October 2022

OpenTable is Imperative in this Day & Age

I find that OpenTable is a very good option for reservations and that my notes for special instructions are always followed. I also love the reward system. It is fun to build up points and receive Amazon gift cards after so many points are earned. It is also cool that they have the menus available to peruse before you arrive as well as special "experience" options that you can choose at some of the restaurants.

PROS

It is user-friendly, the calendar option is great, and the ability to invite guests is fantastic. I use OpenTable almost every day. I travel for work and use OpenTable to book all of my lunch and dinner meetings for my clients when possible. I love the rewards program, receiving Amazon gift cards every so often is always fun. I also really enjoy learning about new restaurants in the area I live in and in the towns, I am visiting for work or on vacation. The "experience" option is also fun and tells you a little bit more about each restaurant as you make your reservation.

CONS

The only two complaints that I have is that some restaurants pull open seating on certain days and that all restaurants so not participate in Open table.

Jenny

Internet, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed April 2018

I predominantly use OpenTable for all my meal reservation-making.

Easy planning, less anxiety in wondering if a restaurant will have a wait, easy searching and filtering.

PROS

What I like the most about OpenTable is its ease of use. If I know what restaurant I want to book a reservation for and they have availability, I can basically get in and get out in less than 2 minutes. THAT'S efficiency. I also like that you can customize searches by specific neighborhoods, specific occasions or ambiances (romantic vs. casual, etc.) and obviously prices. Yelp isn't a main competitor but I hate that when you search for a bar or restaurant in a certain neighborhood on Yelp the results populate many, many bars or restaurants beyond that neighborhood to satisfy the search generation. I like that OpenTable functions more explicitly and narrowly than Yelp but it MAY include some very close neighborhoods in a search query. OpenTable's trend forecasting and "places we think you'd like" are on point, too. They do a good job of assimilating restaurants into categories not just by food type but ambiance type and cost. On OpenTable, very often I'll book a reservation and then come back to check something and see that there are recommended restaurants for me that I actually already have on my personal list. It's not just like, "You picked an Italian restaurant, so we're going to recommend another Italian restaurant!". It feels more personalized and catered to me because many other factors are seemingly taken into account besides just food type.

CONS

This isn't a dig at the software specifically but I feel like some high end or modern / niche restaurants decide to host reservations on Resy instead and that tends to deter me from using OpenTable from time to time. I haven't had any issue with the OpenTable software specifically.

Jenna

Accounting, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed May 2022

Keeping both parties hoenst

Overall I think Open Table was a great an powerful tool that has changed the restaurant industry.

PROS

I have used this software as a hostess and has a restaurant goer. As a restaurant-goer, I enjoy this software as it allows ease of making reservations. Instead of calling restaurants for availability Open Table allows you to easily see time slots available. On the other hand, as a former server and hostess, Open Table automatically populated any reservations made. Further it allowed you to enter and maintain regular customers in the system. Open table greatly helped me do my job in estimating wait times and maintaining reservations.

CONS

Open Table is a tool, not a crystal ball. While it greatly helped me in my job as a hostess, sometimes wait times were off due to people lingering longer or unforeseen circumstances occurring. This cause people to show up to their reservations and having a slight wait. On the other hand, as a user you are able to block Open table from allowing more reservations in the event things get really backed up.

Grayson

Restaurants

Reviewed July 2018

Not worth it unless you are a major chain with 300 seats

Not enough to list. Exposure, but it's limited for smaller companies.

PROS

It allows you to assign tables in the restaurant as they come in and shoes a fairly good job of tracking several metrics like turn time, server cover counts, etc. It also has ways to advertise and draw in customers who may not know about you.

CONS

It's impossible to compete. With the difficulty in finding a restaurant as a customer it translates to moe exposure for larger chain restaurants with budgets to throw at open table. Also, it's pricey. The cost per guest that books is unreasonable and you still have to pay more to advertise. It's just not worth it in my opinion. That are cheaper methods available that focus on phone number advertising as opposed to email (because who opens email nowadays). There are text message options with open table but they are buried and not effective.