All Hotjar Reviews

Josh

Marketing and Advertising, 2 - 10 employees

Used less than 2 years

Reviewed September 2021

Hotjar is solid and keeps leading the pack

Ratish

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Reviewed December 2018

Hotjar Really Helped Us Leverage Our Business!

My overall experience has been good so far. Initially, we were worried about the user insights and heatmaps to test the pages/CTA'S for better campaigning of our products. But, as soon as we started utilizing the set of tools from Hotjar we are so happy that we are able to find a quick solution for problem that helps our business grow and provide our customers with a GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

PROS

Have been using Hotjar for more than a couple of years and is the opinion on the tool 1. Hotjar has a very simple and easily accessible dashboard that has Heatmaps, Visitor recordings, Funnels created, Active polls, Surveys, and Recruiters. 2. Heatmaps have really helped us understand the landing pages and test various parameters for many of our marketing/advertising campaigns. 3. Visitor recordings and monitoring are soo good that helped us understand and rectify the issues that users come across. This has really helped our engineering/technical team in identifying the bug and fixing it ASAP thus resolving our customer issues quickly. 4. Had some experience on using the funnels as well which gave us some ideas on how to better modify the landing pages and we were able to understand the content. 5. The polls part has also added value to our business by letting us know on what the visitors are missing on our website. 6. The pricing of this tool is reasonable that students, enthusiasts and start-up companies can easily afford it. We have started with Basic Free Forever plan and later upgraded to Plus plan once our website started getting some good amount of traffic. 7. Multiple filter feature saves our time in analyzing the important pages and metrics. 8. Being a member of the customer success team for a couple of SAAS products I analyzed and learned some good metrics that helped our business grow. 9. Hotjar can be used by any team member like Digital Marketers, Support Agent

CONS

Although I do not have any cons in my mind regarding this tool I would just like to suggest the Hotjar team to give us quick response for any queries/ issues by providing instant live chat option.

Rezaul

Research, 201-500 employees

Reviewed October 2022

Excellent for website visitor tracking and future decision making.

As a data analyst, HotJar enables me to build, personalize, and deliver surveys and polls to our customers so they can respond and let us know what they like and dislike about our business. The data is promptly updated to our HotJar account as clients submit their answers, allowing me to analyze it right away.

PROS

The most crucial component of our platform—and the one that has gained it the most popularity among our research teams—are the heatmaps. Heatmaps are used to show users where they can scroll and click on our website after they arrive.Contrary to popular belief, knowledge is not only useful but may really be quite helpful to marketing teams. There are two possible explanations for why someone would scroll down our page: either they don't like what they are reading or they want to read more of it.I can only benefit from this feature if our website has a sign-up form or requests that visitors fill out forms. Form Analysis, as the name implies, informs me of how users interact with and utilize our forms. Utilizing such data will help me lower the amount of unsuccessful attempts to complete our form.

CONS

Some features should be improved compared to other platform. Price should be customized. Heatmaps feature may be upgraded more.

Reasons for switching to Hotjar

Form Analysis provides me with information about how people interact with and utilize our forms through its. I can utilize that data to lower the number of attempts at our form that fail.

Ioana

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 201-500 employees

Reviewed August 2019

Great little tool for starting your UX research

I would be surprised if there was a CRO or UX team that hasn't heard of Hotjar. It's a great little tool, especially given the price, but it doesn't allow enough flexibility to be your main on-site research tool. It's really good for starting out and doing some basic research. Sweet and simple! I guess marketers could benefit the most from this!

PROS

Price. Simplicity of implementation. Good customer service. The scrollmaps and polls are my favourite, and only features I use.

CONS

Potentially slows down the site. Loads the entire js even when only running a poll, so puts unnecessary load on the page speed. Forms have nearly never worked on any of the websites I have used it on. Funnel I don't really use - I don't see the point really. Free GA will still be far better and more useful at that. Polls have very simplistic targeting methods. Adding one or two new targeting triggers would be awesome...but they haven't released any new features in ages. Heatmaps are still very simple with no ability of segmenting the data. I can't complain for the really accessible prices they have been able to maintain though!

Value for features.

Hey Ioana! Thanks so much for leaving this review and sharing your thoughts on Hotjar. Following up your feedback - we're always focused on minimizing any increased page load time with the Hotjar script on your site. Have you checked out this resource? https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009335727-Will-Hotjar-Slow-Down-My-Site- If you're having trouble please reach out at support@hotjar.com and we can take a look with you. There's new targeting and filtering functionality on the product roadmap :) https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012303268-Product-Roadmap Stay tuned for that! All best, Alex

Replied August 2019

Trevor

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Reviewed December 2019

Must have for qualitative research

Hotjar does exactly what I need: gives context to the issues I see in GA, and allows me to get into the mind of the user with greater depth.

PROS

Heatmapping offers a whole new dimension of user behavior analysis, and Hotjar brings that to the masses. Installation is easy, setting up heatmaps is a snap, and results analysis is an easy task with the Hotjar interface. This has saved more of my precious time for true analysis, rather than setup and configuration

CONS

On the smaller Hotjar plans, the cap at creating 3 heatmaps at a time feels restrictive. Often, I'd prefer setting up more heatmaps and using fewer of the other features available (surveys and polls). If there were plans I could recommend that only contained the right services for my clients (ex: heatmaps only for small clients, fullstack for larger ones), I would 100% do it. Crazy egg also has a sweet Chrome plugin which is not close to being replicated by Hotjar.

Reason for choosing Hotjar

At least at the time of decision, Hotjar was much more intuitive than Crazy egg, as well as being more reasonably priced. Hotjar also responds better to being used by an agency and having multiple containers for various sites.

Hey Trevor, thanks for the review! Super to hear you're getting a lot of value from Hotjar. You can get unlimited heatmaps on our plus and business plans. You can find more information here https://www.hotjar.com/pricing Thanks again, Denis from the Hotjar team

Replied December 2019

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed April 2020

Great Heat-mapping Software

Hotjar has shown us critical user flow errors in the websites we manage, and has provided the information necessary to make calculated adjustments to our UI, resulting in a decrease in bounce rate and an increase in conversions and revenue. We definitely have ROI with our Hotjar spend.

PROS

Hotjar is very easy to setup. Simply signup, install the JS snippet, configure your recordings and you're off & running. The heatmaping tool is good, and the ability to record user sessions is nice when auditing user flow and customer activity on a website. We have derived some very insightful optimizations from Hotjar, which have ultimately impacted our bottom line & generated more revenue for our company.

CONS

The heatmapping visual report uses a generic resolution to capture the website image. The heatmap overlays are good, but we often need to re-capture a website snapshot, or reach out to support to get the map to match the click heatmaps. It is a minor annoyance, but overall the tool is very good at heatmapping and providing user flow and web traffic insights.

Reason for choosing Hotjar

For our use-case, Hotjar filled our feature requirements at a better price than it's competition.

Price

Hi, Thank for taking the time to review Hotjar. It's good to hear that you found Hotjar helpful in optimizing your websites. If you want to reach out to me at sharon.biggar@hotjar.com, I'd like to send you a small thank you for your review. Cheers, Sharon from Hotjar

Replied April 2020

Saalim

Information Technology and Services, 1 employee

Reviewed August 2020

I Like HotJar to Track my User

Overall my rating to Hotjar is 9 out of 10.Really its very helpful tool.

PROS

Hotjar is hottest tool, that help me to see what my user are doing with my website. It is very easy to integrate using google manager or directly paste the code. One of the best thing in HotJar is Heatmaps it shows me which part of my website are working well.

CONS

Yes, Due to GDRP guidelines to do not shows data of text fields, also Its form tracking system is not working with Angular-Js website.

Reasons for switching to Hotjar

Hubstaff shows data of Input fileds like input text or text area.

Horea

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed March 2021

Hotjar is a really reliable software if you want to know the truth about your website

Well, it is a pretty good event revealer. I can find out a lot of information about any of my website visitors and it gives me a lot of feedback so I can increase my traffic and my online sales.

PROS

This is a very strong tool that exposes the website visitors online actions and speech. Hotjar uses two methods, Analysis and Feedback. The Research tools monitor and analyze website visitors activity (see what they're up to), while the Feedback tools "listen" what website visitors are thinking.

CONS

In my opinion, Hotjar has at least two big problems, first is the limited page height that is set at 1500px and the second one is the disabled feature for cross-domains. Maybe they are just testing to see how it will work better in the future.

Reasons for switching to Hotjar

Hotjar is better when is used by an agency with multiple containers on different online projects and the customer experience you'll get from Hotjar is amazing.

Rajesh

Writing and Editing, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2020

Optimize the UX of your website with Hotjar

Undoubtedly, Hotjar is a must-have tool to perform qualitative research on your website visitors so that you can improve the user experience. It will allow you the opportunity to further analyze the data of google analytics. With so many excellent features this popular tool will help you to do basic and effective research on your website. I would like to recommend Hotjar to anyone as it is so simple to use and the return on investment is also quite impressive.

PROS

There is no denying the fact that Hotjar comes with some excellent and cool features to give you a great level of flexibility when it comes to the analysis of user behavior. Especially, the heatmapping feature of this tool will help you with user behavior analysis. Needless to say, setting up a heatmap is quite easy and it will also save you time. When you talk about visitor’s analysis of any website, pulling information from data is important. And Hotjar comes in handy at this point as it can capture click data, scroll depth, etc. on your site. On top of that, the customer experience you’ll get from Hotjar is amazing.

CONS

As per the rules of nature, Hotjar is also not out of disadvantages. It has some cons as well. It doesn’t show data of text fields as per guidelines of GDRP. Another point, I want to mention here is with the angular Js website, the form system of Hotjar doesn’t work which is a great disadvantage for me.

Reason for choosing Hotjar

Undoubtedly, Crazy Egg is also a great tool to serve my purpose. But, I chose Hotjar over it as I knew Hotjar from a long-ago even before I came to know about Crazy Egg.

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2019

The ultimate voice of visitor tool - no need for anything else

Hotjar shortcuts hours of quant research by letting you SEE what's happening on your web pages, and HEAR a users thoughts. Priceless if you're in the business of designing web pages that serve your users better.

PROS

It's a one-stop shop. No need for expensive subscriptions to multiple tools. Everything you need to understand your visitors is at your fingertips. The only condition for success is that you actually use it!

CONS

Very difficult to think of a disadvantage. It's cheap. Fully featured. Customer support is great. Perhaps the fact that you can't run a/b tests too. But there's plenty of other great tools for that.

Reasons for switching to Hotjar

I used to subscribe to Crazy Egg, Kiss Insights, Survey Gizmo and a bunch of other tools. Now I just need Hotjar.

Hey David, Thanks so much for reviewing Hotjar! We really appreciate it and it's great to hear you that you consider the tool essential in understanding your visitors. Best, Kayleigh

Replied October 2019

Jaime

Market Research, 11-50 employees

Reviewed January 2022

A nice and affordable service to monitor users in your website

PROS

It's really nice to be able to see the journey a user takes and what it does in your website so you can identify pain points. Heatmaps are also really nice.

CONS

There's nothing we haven't been able to do yet or something we feel it may be missing.

Reason for choosing Hotjar

A colleague had already worked with Hotjar and he knew it was the thing we needed for now. I have used FullStory in the past but I didn't implement it and it wasn't on my area of expertise so I didn't know for sure it would serve our needs.

Ciprian

Information Technology and Services, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2020

An awesome user research and feedback tool

PROS

An awesome user research and feedback tool with the most used features readily available. A clean look and a professional UX makes it my favourite tool. The free plan also has enough views/actions/events, allowing it for a good round of testing before going fully paid.

CONS

I'd like more popup options, something similar to GetSiteControl.

Hi Ciprian, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotjar. It's great to hear that you're getting a lot of value out of it. If you would like to give us more detail about what pop-up options you'd like to see, you can do so under 'Suggest a Feature' from within your Hotjar account and our product team will pick it up. Also, if you reach out to me directly [mike.cullen@hotjar.com], I'd like to send you a little something as a thank you for taking the time to review us. Mike

Replied January 2020

Atour

Research, 51-200 employees

Reviewed November 2022

Best for website visitor behavior analysis

It is outstanding for survey and forms purposes. Screen recording can be done easily using it.

PROS

Customer behavior analysis is very crucial for any website. As a analyst, I need to analysis data and I found this software is very useful in this regard. Heatmapping is an excellent element of this software. It is very easy to set up . Efficient customer support available.

CONS

A/B testing feature may be added.Event tracking record may be introduced.Price Little bit seems higher than others platform.

Reasons for switching to Hotjar

Hotjar Heatmap and recording seems excellent

mook

Retail, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed March 2020

capture the live user usage of your web product, and analyse the user experience

good experience, but i hope this dose not eat much of end users internet and hope it dos not reduces the web performance

PROS

It capture a video of the user screen who is using the web product which is integrated with hotjar and store's it in clean directory structure it also stores meta data information of the user session which is really help full in analytics good documentation

CONS

the captured data back up is maintained only for 90 days, it wold be better if they provide a permanent storage plan and the meta data collected are in file formate and they also stay for 90 days, we had to write scripts to dump these data in to sql tables for further analysation it wold be better if they provide a simple API to do this they do provide a good documentation for this dumping proses

Hi Mook, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotjar. We're happy to hear that you are finding Hotjar useful. I would interested to hear more about the data retention issues you experienced - Hotjar retains data for 365 days from the date the data is captured. We do not have any plans with 90-day data retention, so it would be good to dig deeper into your issue. You can reach me at mike.cullen@hotjar.com if you'd like to discuss further. I'd also like to offer you a little something as a thank you for your review. Cheers, Mike

Replied April 2020

Jeffrey

Financial Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed September 2019

Must Have for landing Pages

Hotjar has allowed us to test ideas with web design. It helps confirm the effectiveness of certain visual cues, the flow of information and the effectiveness of the overall sales funnel by showing us exactly where the viewers attention is going on our web page. It has been an essential source for our overall analytics and critical to our design process.

PROS

Hotjar adds a much-needed type of analytics to your arsenal. It allows you to see exactly what your page-viewers (potential buyers) are doing, seeing and spending time on your landing page or funnel. It allows you to test different design cues or features and see how your targets react. Also, the pricing is very convenient. Having this tool for free up to 200 pageviews per day is huge. it's just one of those tools that you need if you want to build new landing pages and help them convert.

CONS

The only issue I've had with this tool thus far is sometimes the screen recordings come out laggy or completely black, but this happens rarely. Other than that, it's been very informative and a great addition to our toolset.

Hey Jeffrey, Thanks so much for reviewing Hotjar! We love feedback and it's great to hear you consider our tool an essential part of landing page optimization! Sorry to hear you've had a problem with Recordings. Feel free to reach out to support@hotjar.com and someone will be able to take a look into the issue. Best, Kayleigh

Replied October 2019

Goran

Wholesale, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2022

Hotjar is our favorite analysis software

Overall experience is positive - I would recommend to others.

PROS

Hotjar has many great features we use daily. We most use Hotjar to evaluate the customer traffic, tendencies/behavior, and surveying. Hotjar is an important tool for us in understanding our customers needs and actions so we can improve and provide a better experience.

CONS

The thing I liked least is that it does not integrate well with some of the other tools we use, like google analytics.

Its functionality and features

Noemí

Food & Beverages, 501-1,000 employees

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed December 2022

One of the best

PROS

Perfect for understanding how visitors are interacting with your website in real-time. You can see what pages they visit, where they click, and even record their mouse movements. Invaluable insights for improving the user experience and increase the CR.

CONS

There no intrinsic con to the platform but time itself. Time to analyze all the data and insights that you could extract. Usually we over estimate the time dedicated and the efforts that we will put in tools like this one. So, usually they went under-used.

Valentin

E-Learning, 201-500 employees

Reviewed July 2020

Hotjar a good heatmap

I have made some heatmaps for my website show-my-homework. I used these heatmaps to improve the website for the readers.

PROS

Years ago I had a website (show-my-homework) that was taken from me with force. I am Romanian and in Romania no matter what you work, the authorities will force you to surrender your wealth and work to those that use the muscles and not the brain. I worked to this website for 5 years and 2 years I had on this website hotjar. Hotjar was saying to me who comes to my website, who reads my website, who wanted to learn, who clicks etc. Hotjar is very good and I love Hotjar for this.

CONS

To make a heatmap with hotjar you have to wait for 1 day. This is not good, but after 1 day you will have a very good heat map. I do not love hotjar because you have to pay good money if you use it for 2 weeks :)

Hi Valentin, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotjar. I'm sorry to hear about the problem with your website, but glad that you had a good experience using Hotjar to understand your users. I'd like to send you a small thank-you from us for your review. You can reach me at mike.cullen@hotjar.com and I'll share the details. Cheers, Mike

Replied August 2020

Ben

Biotechnology, 11-50 employees

Reviewed January 2020

Great UX Tool

We use HotJar to run UX tests on our site. We've used it a lot for testing out new buttons or new navigation features.

PROS

We love running heatmap tests of pages whenever we make changes to our website. We compare these tests to former versions that we've ran. Heatmaps offer amazing insight to where the user clicks, scrolls, or mouses over. This gives you a good idea on how the user interacts with your site.

CONS

Limited functionality unless you upgrade to the top tier account. We also aren't able to track our interactive experiences. I also wish the recordings had more filterable options so you could find specific experiences.

Hi Ben, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotjar. We're happy to hear that you're getting a lot of value out of our Heatmaps tool. Your feedback on plans, tracking of interactive experiences, and filtering of recordings is very helpful, too. If you would like to provide more detail about what you would like to see improved, you can do so under 'Suggest a Feature' from within your Hotjar account. If you reach out to me directly [mike.cullen@hotjar.com], I'd like to send you a little something as a thank you for your review. Cheers, Mike

Replied January 2020