• Pros

• "Ease of use, strong encryption, good call quality (audio and video)"

• "- Great call and video quality - Highly Secure Architecture "

• "Time efficient easy to set-up and use. Very simple"

• Cons

• "-Somewhat steep learning curve -Cannot screen-share with control"

• "We noticed some bugs during our use but they also got resolved pretty fast by the team."

• "Saving video and images is a bit difficult. Sharing location is not as seamless as whatsapp... perhaps if they can add time limit, it would be cool."

Browse Wire Reviews

Bruno from BrainHQ from Posit Science

Industry: Mental Health Care

Wire use in clinical research

Pros

I'm the Principal Investigator of an NIH funded research study using Wire to deliver group therapy via text and video-calls to people with a serious mental illness. So far, participants and staff have greatly enjoyed the interface, its innovative features, and the user experience in general. In particular, the group video-conferencing feature allows for smooth and high-quality group calls from mobile devices. In summary, the software has exceeded our expectations in terms of reliability and functionality.

Cons

If I were to pick one area that could be improved, it would probably be the option to easily download and securely archive existing text-based group conversations, which isn't currently available. However, it is my understanding that Wire has plans to develop this feature moving forward.

Simple but lack features

Great value if you only want a secure chat software this is the most robust option. But look elsewhere if you need something that has a lot of 3rd party integration or bots to help with productivity.

Pros

As a chat app very simple to use and setup. UI is basically chat but nothing else. Self-destroy message makes sharing sensitive info easy. Secure voice calls and video calls quality are surprisingly high. Pricing is very competitive compare to other US rivals. Europe-based company.

Cons

Wire is basically just a chat software. Integrations with 3rd-party almost non-existent. Syncing between devices have issues sometimes that re-sync with new encryption key may be required. Syncing chat history takes longer time than usual.

Reasons for Choosing Wire

The best European chat software comparable to other US rivals.

Dan from Phobos Group

Industry: Security and Investigations

Wire dropped the ball.

It was pretty great for the first couple years. Despite the "you have to wait 15 minutes for messages to decrypt" slowness in the browser, and the occasional UI bug, the platform fundamentally did what the security community was looking for. Now, however, wire doesn't seem to care about the security community that helped it get popular. we feel like we've been abandoned by leadership. I personally invested years of my life in helping wire become the defacto secure comms program that I could count on for my friends, family and customers - and now i feel like i've made a terrible mistake, because just as its becoming critical to have secured communications, wire has kicked me to the curb, and with me, my entire community and all of my customers.

Pros

It actually does e2e, and its mostly useable on multiple platforms.

Cons

oh where to begin. I worked with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and a few other folks for the last four years to do things like "bring the mr. robot television show in as an avertising medium", reported easily dozens of bugs, lodged dozens of feature requests and onboarded easily a few hundred users. wire decided that it wouldn't accept support requests or feature requests from non-paying customers, so I attempted to create a paid account in order to contact support, and even after creating a paid account I was ignored by wire. something changed internally at the company and it wasn't for the better.

Reasons for Choosing Wire

it was easier to onboard people to wire than to spideroaks tool

Amin from Bee Army

Security and Privacy

For now, it is a great app as it is highly recommended by a not for profit organisation that cares for personal privacy and security.

Pros

Security and Privacy and ease of use. Also, the options to sign up either by phone number or an email.

Cons

Unsure of making bots to prevent sharing suspicious links or prohibiting calls to unknown users.

Reasons for Choosing Wire

Because of its high security and protecting personal privacy. And also because its servers are in Europe and follows European laws of privacy protection.

Zahra from TechVise

Industry: Writing and Editing

Secure with something amiss

I love wire and would recommend it to everyone. Its much more secure than other apps; whatsapp and fb messenger. Perhaps being regulated by EU laws means they respect your privacy far more than American, Canadian and UK based apps. the iOS and Android app work very well and it does almost everything which whatsapp does and it even has a color drawing mode.

Pros

Its definitely MORE secure than Whatsapp and Facebook messenger. I never feel that someone is listening to my conversation or reading my chat with Wire.

Reasons for Choosing Wire

i dont know but one needed vpn connection and my family said let's go with wire...

Jörg from ERFOLGSGESTALTER GmbH

Increase our productivity

Pros

We´re now faster in internal communication. We like most, that we are able to have different streams and can send layouts and easily assess ist.

Cons

The Mac Version (Desktop) need some updates in design und functionality.

Natalie from Cato Institute

Wire is Better than Slack!!!

Excellent experience and it is well worth the download. It is encrypted and certainly better than Slack.

Pros

This is a great software for the workplace. All of my work colleagues are on Wire and we are able to communicate with each other while we are in the office and while we are at home. This software makes working from home very effortless because you can remain in constant contact with your coworkers. You can also turn off notifications from the app if you choose to install the software app on to your phone.

Cons

Sometimes I would like to share files on Wire that are too big. Since some of my coworkers work in the podcasting arena, they have found that sometimes when they try to share their files through wire it is just too big to send, but this has been an issue for us on many softwares.

Jeffrey from 8020 Digital

Clarity of Communication

My experience can simply defind in one word, EXCELLENT.

Pros

I like wire because even you have slow connection, you can still able to talk clearly and you can hear clearly the one talked with. We usually, use Wire during the team meeting and talking with clients. If there's clarity of communication, there's no room for mistake especially when your boss relay an important instructions. That's the power of Wire in our business.

Cons

Maybe the least thing about wire is how they market this software. Still, majority of human race doesn't know about Wire.

Reasons for Choosing Wire

If there are important meetings that needs to listen clearly on the boss, I use Wire. Because you can use wire even your internet connection is not consistent.

Tillee D. from Lock 'N Load Brands

Industry: Sporting Goods

Can go better for Companies

Secure communication and a trustful feeling because you company based in west europa and has phone numbers and address

Pros

Works, Can handle more as one account, voice quality is great

Cons

No Conference video chat like (hangout), No Channel (such as Telegram) No sub groups in a group

Reasons for Choosing Wire

Trust full and works great

Felix from TÜV Rheinland i-sec GmbH

Industry: Information Services

Wire Teams

We are organizing a distributed Team with high expactiations to security and usability especially with regards to group text chat. These expectations were completely satisfied.

Pros

- Great call and video quality - Highly Secure Architecture

Cons

- UI is a bit messy, especially with lots of contacts - Calls a are somethimes Buggy to establish, especially with multi-device usage

francois from LFHED

easy, safe, up to my expectations

It is the tool we needed to support the re-opening of a school with the medical-civil security team. This plus an online pad we shered and work on together in the same time. I use a private free address with my daughter and try to rally them to wire in order to quite wats'crap, facebeurk and those climate warming / data gathering / manipulating software. I started using Signal some years back and heard of Wire a bit more than two years ago from someone who was ambassador for a south American country.

Pros

conference mode safety and confidentiality technical support fluidity of the conversation, we can hear different collaborators speaking in the same time but without having the feeling of saturation. easy management of screen-sharing and easy way to send a document or a link

Cons

I was unable to figure out how much it will cost me to use Wire, once I finish the trial period.

Reasons for Choosing Wire

Wire is a ready to use out of the box solution. Looking for privacy, reliability together with a software that I can trust on that, not only pretending to provide safety but really doing it. Alternate solution would have obliged me to dig into not ready out of the box solution event so they would provide the same services. This become hard to have people adopting them, opensource soft can be easy to us once you understand some principals in basic command line. Not much user friendly :-) I am a supporter of your product and I advise on regular bases, friends working for NGO's to use Wire better than other well known and distributed crap that can not offer the necessary often life saving confidentiality offered by your light easy secure software. I would advise you to think about client education / awareness to IT good practice. This could as well reinforce your own security. (what phone / computer basic requirement do I use, what should I never do on my phone/ computer if I don't want to compromise the reason why I use Wire...) Thanks for all the good work. Keep it up and stay safe and free

Wire - secure messaging platform as well as audio/video comms is finally here!

As an early Wire (personal) adopter and a vocal supporter (I want to say Ambassador), I may be a bit biased. Still, I strongly believe everyone deserves a fully secure communication platform and there must be no compromise on that - Wire proves it's possible. I have successfully converted more than a couple dozens users to Wire - and we never looked back.

Pros

First and most of all, Wire is all about security. Full E2E encryption for all the services it provides - messaging, voice, video. There are no compromises here and if security is a top priority, you don't have to look further. As far as I know, they are already doing some post-quantum cryptography experimenting, which is really impressive. Did I mention they are 100% Open Source? Did I say the voice quality is absolutely fantastic?

Cons

Not a lot of things I can say I don't like - basically for private usage the only issue is adoption, as the competition is very hard (not that I find any of the competitors good) and most people base the adoption on the number of people already on the platform. For business usage, I would say that it has everything that most people would want - yeah, including gifs, but it's always hard to adopt a new tool/software for the team, especially a communication platform.

Samer from Accountability Counsel

The best we've found, but leaves a lot to be desired

Not loving it, sometimes really frustrated by it, but it works just well enough to keep around. I don't know of any secure messaging alternatives that work any better...

Pros

Our organization works with vulnerable communities and needs to be able to communicate securely so we've been looking for an encrypted alternative to Slack for some time now. Wire seemed like the closest fit in terms of the features we wanted: custom "channels" the ability to include some people outside of the org, silo'ed information, and secure group calling. It hasn't been spectacular at any of those things, but it hasn't been terrible either.

Cons

Wire is a pretty new product and it shows. The calls frequently drop, or some people's audio won't connect, etc. etc. Calls generally have to be limited to just a 3-4 people or the quality degrades even further. Our plan to use it as a communication tool with communities has been shelved indefinitely while we wait for some upgrades. In the meantime, our team mostly uses it text each other, which has been a significant improvement over email, but not quite as functional or intuitive as Slack channels. Nevertheless, it seems to be the best thing we've got so we're sticking with it for the time being.

Manfred from Hotel Tirolerhof

Easy and secure to use communication solution for our business

We like Wire a lot because of the end-to-end encryption, we as a hotel deal a lot with sensitive data of clients to make them feel comfortable during the stay. In order to do this we use Wire across different platforms like on desktop in the reception and on mobile with all our staff. Wire makes it easy to communicate in a modern way via messenger by not needing to think about if the data is protected well enough.

Pros

Our main pros we like about Wire are the end-to-end encryption, the fact Wire offers apps for all platforms and gives us the opportunity to communicate across these. Audio quality is very good compared to other solutions or regular phone calls.

Danna from Amnesty International

WIRE has been a game changer for our Program

Pros

I love WIRE because it allows our team to communicate easily and securely. We are a new team and decentralized across a lot of different countries so we needed something to replicate an 'office space' - somewhere to have quick conversations with the right people; somewhere to share files and sometimes jokes; and somewhere to share documents with easy encryption. WIRE did all of these things for us and ore.

Cons

Because our IT system is pretty locked down we have issues with automatic updates running smoothly in our system - resulting in a pretty much dysfunctional app. Instead we need to use the browser version.

Natalie from Cato Institute

Excellent Alternative to Slack

It has been a great product as something that is very similar to Slack without all of the weird publicity. Slack has seen some issues recently with identity and I think Wire has much more flexibility and integrity. I trust them.

Pros

I love that this software is always up to date and helps me reach my work team at all times of the day. You can set it up through an app on your phone and always be nearby for work emergencies. I also appreciate that it is an encrypted software that allows us to have conversations without fear of it being hacked in to or stolen.

Cons

I think that this software could have a wider selection of gifs and images for use in conversations. I know that seems a bit silly in a work environment but many of us express ourselves through gifs and memes.

Jan from Neurological Practice

Best Messenger

For me it is ideal for brief contacts with my patients improving their satisfaction

Pros

End-to-end encryption, independency of SIM-Card, cross-platform usability, Synchronization of messages, all-in-one-backups => safety and transfer to other devices is easy, multiple accounts in one app, lack of advertisements

Cons

Compared to other messengers, there were no disadvantages

Reasons for Choosing Wire

tried several, wire was best due to pros named above

Kehkeshan from Kehkeshanz

Excellent

I had really good experience and never faced any issue. The only suggestion is if some working can be done on its price as its a bit pricey.

Pros

Very easy and user friendly and easy to communicate on individual and group basis as both facilities are available.

Cons

A bit costly as compared to the work requirement

Beautiful, Easy to use, Top notch security, Messaging as it should be

Pros

Wire is a great example of well developed security messaging. The UI is beautiful and the security does not drag down the ease of use of the software. This is a prime example of engineers knowing how to balance usability and security.

Veronica from Lighthouse law club

Industry: Computer Networking

Great system

Well I can easily contact my partners and it is clear in display.

Pros

Time efficient easy to set-up and use. Very simple

Cons

I don't really recall anything that I am not happy with just yet.

Reasons for Choosing Wire

It was referred to me by my mentor.

Luka from Blocktrade.com

Best encrypted collaboration platform

For a regulated crypto assets exchange data privacy is of utmost importance. Wire assures us fully encrypted communication and gives us and our clients top level security. Luka Gubo, CEO

Pros

Ease of use, strong encryption, good call quality (audio and video)

Cons

Limited number of callers on encrypted video call

Response from Wire Swiss

Replied September 2018

Thank you, Luka! Increasing the number of participants in a video call is definitely something we plan to work on in the future.

Sharifah from All Out Action Fund

Review from non-profit

Pros

The end to end encryption of the platform is great. The app is super easy to use, and adding new features is building on the capabilities for our remote team structure.

Cons

The app seems to take up a lot of space and can slow down other software when in use. We also would love a larger group video option as it currently only allows up to 4. If we can consolidate all of our comms needs into the one platform, that would be best, but we currently have to rely on other platforms for larger conversations.

Sam from SiteSquad.com

Industry: Computer Networking

Wire is an actually secure messenger

We use Wire at SiteSquad.com to chat and collaborate quickly and securely every day. It's become our go-to over email or SMS. I highly recommend it to any individual or company looking to take their communication to a higher level of security.

Pros

+Encrypted chat +File sharing +Screen sharing +Multi-device support

Cons

-Somewhat steep learning curve -Cannot screen-share with control

Response from Wire Swiss

Replied September 2018

Hi Sam, thanks for the review! Please email wire.support@wire.com if you need Pro-level support, we noticed you found the support experience lacking.

leyniker from Merqueo

Industry: Market Research

Great wire tool

Pros

It works very well light, safe, calls that are not cut, minimalist and pleasant interface, does not need phone number and, of course, free

Cons

I would only ask for a way to backup the chats and then restore

Response from Wire Swiss

Replied November 2018

Hi Leyniker, Thank you very much for the positive review. Regarding backups, this is very much possible! For Desktop: https://support.wire.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000824805-How-can-I-backup-my-conversation-history- For Mobile: https://support.wire.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000775549-How-can-I-backup-my-conversation-history- More information on history backup is also available on our Blog: https://wire.com/en/blog/history-backup/

Why I love using Wire for Work

Pros

Wire is a great way to contact employees about a variety of tasks. It is great because it is encrypted so you can discuss work related matters in a more secure way.

Cons

Wire is pretty slow and sending photos in chats.

Roman from Worth Finance Corporation

Awesome Service, very user friendly, can be a little techie at times. Needs more features.

Secured Chat System. Quickly and Easy communicate with business staff from anywhere!

Pros

Ease of use and security (Top Priority) ... User friendly and conveniently accessible across all platforms makes it a must have! Customer service has been top notch and completely transparent when it comes to service patches and more!

Cons

Business aspects are pretty limited with Teams currently. There are several key features that need to be created for this to be a complete business chat system.

Response from Wire Swiss

Replied April 2018

Thank you very much for your feedback! We are glad to hear that Wire's security and convenience is to your satisfaction. We are continuously adding features to improve Wire to make it a must-have business collaboration tool. We are all ears to hear what features you would like to see in the future.

Abner from Self employed

Wire

It’s shockingly well designed. I’ve honestly considered bothering friends on Facebook messenger to switch to it.

Pros

It’s a fantastic encrypted messaging app. I’ve been able to share and receive a lot of media quickly through it that’d be difficult to otherwise.

Cons

A lot of people I use the app to communicate with had to jump ship because they suspected the company’s new owners couldn’t guarantee the same level of security. Some still use it with me though, so that’s a mixed bag. Internet security folks more knowledgeable than me would have to weigh in.

Victor from Univers Academic

Excellent

Pros

I'm delighted with this messenger - it's robust, minimalist, extremely functional and devoid of meaningless features (stickers, games and other nonsense), and recently I found that @wire offers substantial reductions for educational institutions - a special thanks for that.

Cons

None. Everything is great. It is the first messenger I can recommend and which fully satisfies my requirements. It's just as well done for both Mac and Windows

Robert from DJ DX

Wire App

My overall experience with the app is that you can share privately and conduct business without a hassle and the most important feature is that you can not screenshot anyone's messages.

Pros

The most that I love about this app is that is private and also great for business and speaking with family members. I literally have everyone that is in my immediate circle using wire and look forward to staying on the app as long as the quality stays the same.

Cons

There isn't anything least that I personally don't like as of now. I just hope the video quality keeps improving.

Tyrell from Bausch+Stroebel Machine Company

Industry: Machinery

I'm Wire'd!

Have been using Wire for both personal and business use - and it's been great from the start! Communicating with work colleagues is, not only fast, but easy to track and to send important information. And knowing that it is fully-encrypted is a huge confidence builder!

Pros

The layout and ease of use! The business/ enterprise edition has features that great for communicating with co-workers and even customers. It's like having messaging (private and public), webcasts, document sharing, and "FaceTime" all together! Oh and the best-in-class security features!

Cons

The "homepage" - needs to have an initial start page to see an overview of everything at first.

Christian from Wigger Fenster + Fassaden GmbH

Industry: Building Materials

Ideal for companies

Wire is a good and secure Messenger so it is perfect for companies. The surface is easy to understand, it doesnt need that much time to start chats with your colleagues.

Pros

Easy of use, user friendly, very good encryption, good call quality

Szilard from Gain More Digital

trusty

i only have good experience i love using this product as a person 3 years ago but now i created a new account because of my company

Pros

I love knowing that I am safe, I like the simple interface, the ad-free

Cons

if I send something, it will not indicate to me that it has been delivered, but the partner has already been read

Wire is secure but basic

It has been good at providing us with the necessary security for sending vulnerable information, but the app needs further development. It leaves a lot to be desired.

Pros

Wire provides the user with a secure messaging platform, so it is necessary for sending sensitive information.

Cons

Wire is not a great product, it performs the necessary functions (security) but is shaky. Calls should not have more than 3 people if you want quality, and it seems like there could be more functions or adding.

Mark from Roofsimple, Inc.

Great Communication App

We're solving communication issues by using Wire. Before we started using Wire the communication between each other was a big issue, but now that we're using this app - we have seen those problems diminish a lot.

Pros

We use this app to communicate throughout the business. Being able to create different groups and add everyone from the business has been a great help in being able to contact each other.

Cons

We really don't have anything negative to say about this app.

Sofie from CI

Good for work, however, can function slow

Pros

This is a good, safe software. Can use on both phone and desktop. It also has an attractive design and layout.

Cons

Sometimes it can take a long time to log in on desktop, like 10-15 minutes. Also, in the past it has logged itself out.

Response from Wire Swiss

Replied March 2018

Thank you! The slow loading times have been reported by some users and our team is actively working on ways to speed this up significantly. Hopefully the experience is blazing fast on mobile!

Ashley from Roofsimple, Inc.

Improved Communication

Overall - communicating with our company and a company we're partnered with has been great. We're able to create groups for certain people/actions which has helped streamline all communication.

Pros

The communication has improved immensely within our company. It also helps that there are read receipts so people are held accountable.

Cons

As of right now I don't have an cons to say about this software.

Jonas from Project Ascension

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Not happy with Wire

I am in love with Wire because it's encrypted

Pros

It's beautiful that you have created an encrypted Wire, thats number one for us.

Cons

We are not happy with Wire because we need to recall several times to get Wire working properly for everyone.

Even from Azenes GmbH

Well done! Now: Go ahead!

Internal and external communication, screensharing for conferences, seeing our team from time to time :D

Pros

Security, customer service, look and feel, everything here we needed (almost everything, see below).

Cons

No dedicated server, no dedicated URL, screensharing not yet perfect. We would have preferred to run on our own server (like we did with hipchat so far).

DANNY from United Auto Credit

Loving this new mssg platfrom

Side gigs with small tech companies, they prefer this type of platform

Pros

Love the HD video chat and the fact that is relatively new - compare to the others.

Cons

the other side of the coin of not being too popular I have to pitch it heavy to friends - sounding like I have stock in the company :)

Mika from Maisonkoti Oy

Try It!!

Overall makes massaging easy and fast , happy to be one of the users. And it’s secure.

Pros

Using is easy, starting to use is more difficult, but you’ll learn. Even I did!!

Cons

Seems guite unflexible somehow. Needs more possibilities to tailormake by users.. Maybe later..

Jacqueline from Fluency Labs

Industry: Computer Hardware

Highly recommend Wire

It's been pretty amazing and we love our rep :)

Pros

The privacy settings and ability to manage groups.

Cons

There could be more features added that are similar to slack in regards to organization and functions to make it a bit more convinient.

George from Averhealth

Industry: Medical Devices

Great software for anyone trying to integrate this sort of api

Pros

I especially liked the encryption on Wire. It made me feel as though the software was very secure and gave me no worries over HIPPA compliance.

Cons

I thought the price point was a bit of a hoop to jump through especially at the scale in which I was looking for.

Marleny from Geupo ED, S.R .L.

Industry: Public Relations and Communications

The perfect tool communication

I can communicate wirh my Freelance and Outsorcing Staff in any part of the world, without interruptions.

Pros

The privacy of the conversation and the easy use.

Cons

I have not complain. For me everything is fine.

Sören from SUND Holding GmbH + Co. KG

Industry: Packaging and Containers

It is a safe secure and easy to use instant messenger

Pros

- GDPR conformity - End-to-end encryption - The possibility to use it with an e-mail-account - Easy to use

Cons

It would be great, if there is a possibility to use channels.

As secure communication tool can get, it far exceeds expectations. Fantastic product with a great UI

Pros

End to end encryption is a fantastic feature, a must for any communication software. UI looks pretty sharp as well.

Cons

Loading times to log on can be a bit of a pain. Other than that nothing wrong to point out so far at this point

Response from Wire Swiss

Replied July 2018

We are glad to hear that Wire has exceeded your expectations! Regarding long loading times we have recently released an update for desktop which sped up loading times, as well as sending and receiving message, significantly. We hope that you too will see an improvement. In case you have any additional questions or comments, our support team is always happy to help.

Othmar from Bistum St.Gallen

good - evolve

Apart from the question of history, I'm really happy. The support is not accessible enough for me. Sometimes I would be glad to receive a tip over the phone. If I do not understand the written instructions on the website correctly, I also do not understand the same wording by mail.

Pros

The security, the possibilities, the team possibilities.

Cons

The missing history. When new group members are added, they can not see the history so far. If someone logs on to a new device later, they do not have the entire chat history. This is a big disadvantage for communication in a training group.

Peter from Audion Sound

Industry: Executive Office

Great

Pros

Easy to use, intuitive and secure. Kepps our team in fluid conversation.

Cons

Limited adoption outside of team constraints use with customers.

Intuitive

Rita from AspireIQ

Easy and Convenient

Pros

My favorite aspect about wire is that you can safely share photos, documents and communicate in a secure platform.

Cons

I have not used the software very long and so far I have had a great experience. The one thing I would like is to be able to do is completely delete a contact completely from your account.

Linos from University of the Aegean

Slick looks, powerful under the hood

Pros

Wire surely has the best design and usability on mobile devices, and an interesting desktop GUI. Offers maximum security as well. They also went full open-source, server-side, recently.

Cons

Some past security controversies might have lead people away. I understand this, and why Wire does not have the big community of other messaging apps.

Jens from Jens Wraa Laursen

Industry: Mental Health Care

Simple but picture quality lacks

Liked the program, but because of the quality of picture I dropped it again.

Pros

The simplicity for both me and my client. Very simple to use. Sound is ok.

Cons

The quality of the picture is so bad that I couldn't use the program. Got headache because it is so unclear.