(1,211)

1,211

Browse GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) Reviews

Josip from Elfo trgovina i servis

Great Free alternative for Adobe Photoshop

With Gimp I am creating weekly flyers with products from our company. We can save an enormous amount of money by doing this by ourselves and not some external design company.

Pros

Gimp is an open-source image manipulation program what means it is absolutely free to use. Also, you will receive regular updates which add new features and fixes bugs including security issues. It has all the abilities that for example Adobe Photoshop and other commercial programs have. It can offer even more because it is easily extensible and flexible for every environment with lots of great community plugins and scripts.

Cons

The user interface of Gimp is not the most beautiful one but its function is very good. It has a lot of menus and submenus so for beginners it may be a little harder to achieve some more complex operations such as retouch of a face or double exposure. Also, compatibility with Adobe file formats exists but don't except that it works perfectly. Most of the time it works flawlessly if you are opening the document from older versions of Photoshop because newer version needs some updating and updates occur approximately every 2 months which is still faster than what Adobe is doing with their Photoshop.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

I made the switch mainly because of price. Gimp is free while Adobe Creative Cloud is a monthly based subscription which offers you a lot more software - a complete design package and access to everything you will ever need if you are at least a little in design.

Free and Open Source Photoshop Alternative

From large outdoor displays to business cards and websites layouts, GIMP has got us covered here at the studio. It is our go to application for graphics manipulation and everytime we need to edit or create an image from scratch, this is where we go for.

Pros

The ease of use and installation make GIMP a no brainer for a small design studio like ours. It is very similar to the Adobe Photoshop Suite, lacking some resources but still very strong for daily tasks.

Cons

The lack of resources would be the most negative part, but there are many workarounds combining other free softwares like Krita and Inkscape that make it well worth a try. The investment is time to learn and get comfortable at using it.

Reasons for Choosing GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

The 0 price tag was what won us here. Affinity Suite is very good and I use it for personal projects but at the Studio we use GIMP as our main Image Manipulation Software.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

It is just better for our workflow as we can all use at the same time in the studio with a free license.

Leon from Umons

a program which works well and good to start some photo editing

I find who is getting old but he always responds to the task expected of him

Pros

On our side this program which works well, it is very stable, no crashes. I also use other programs that are not at the same price because yes it can't do everything and this is normal, I would even say that it is better that the program excels in what it can do than to be as versatile as possible, but I prefer to keep gimp for now because I got used to it very quickly and that is one of its best qualities. Which is very well documented, many tutorials. It is true that it requires a minimum of training, especially on the philosophy of layers, what is an alpha channel, a smart chisel, ...there also has the documentation on the publisher's site. This program is free.

Cons

The program is starting to get old, and we can see it. Just by starting it, it lags behind, but it could be worse. In terms of drawing tools, it is very minimalist to the point where buying a tablet that senses the difference in pressure applied on the screen is useless.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

The program is newer, more functional and it responds more to extended of things that I usually ask and it is also a free program.

Simon from Simon Manuel

Go Open Source! It's a lot easier to run a media start-up.

Being community driven alone makes this product feel so much better. And it has come a long since we first tried it a few years ago. GIMP has evolved as we've learned our way around it. Looking forward to a future with greater updates to the UI and workflow.

Pros

The fact that it can almost do everything that Photoshop can do and for no charge at all - this helped us a ton. We did not have to pay a monthly subscription that over multiple users, adds up to quite a fee. Adding functionality that isn't otherwise provided is easy thanks to a large collection of assorted extensions.

Cons

For all the features it provides, one very important feature is missing. The ability to edit and render CMYK images, without having to run through a few hoops. Since most of our work is for online use, we do not see it as a limitation. But for someone looking at print media work alone, they might have to wait a few months before the official release has this functionality baked in.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Monthly subscription model did not work for us.

Marius from Little Boy Genius

Industry: Information Services

If you need occasional image crop and edit this is the software to get.

As I'm a programmer photo manipulation is not the biggest priority so paying for adobe cloud was not a thing high in my priority list.

Pros

It's free and open source can not beat that. Does simple photo manipulation tasks without a problem. While it's not straight forward to use as Adobe Photoshop, It was easy to pick up.

Cons

It's free and open source so not the most user friendly and polished version of photo editing software. UX could be better.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

I don't need it for daily use just for occasional photo edit here and there, I did not want to pay monthly subscription for adobe photoshop.

Excellent alternative to big-name image editing software

I highly recommend Gimp image editing software to users who have basic graphic design needs and want high-quality results without a high price tag. Gimp allows me to create a wide variety of content and image assets, and it doesn't cost me a penny. Love it!

Pros

I am not a professional graphic designer, but I do sometimes use image manipulation software -- I might need to convert a color photo to grayscale, or create a simple graphic for my business blog, or create an image to accompany a social media post. I only do this once or twice a month. With such infrequent use, it's not worth paying for big-name image editing software. At the same time, Microsoft Paint is free doesn't have enough functionality to produce professional-looking results. Gimp is a FREE open-source alternative that performs most of the same functions as the expensive, big-name software and produces similar results. If you're a casual user, like me, this makes Gimp the ideal image editing software. I can't justify paying hundreds for software I rarely use (and certainly don't use to its full capacity). Gimp is a great alternative.

Cons

Gimp isn't intuitive to someone like me, who lacks a design background. However, I have been able to learn it with minimal difficulty. Google has all the answers, and once you perform a function once or twice, it becomes very easy.

Reasons for Choosing GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Gimp is free and Photoshop is very expensive.

Marcos from Dread Central

For the Right Use Cases, GIMP Is A No Brainer

If you want to do graphic design, I'd suggest you perhaps look elsewhere. But if what you want is image manipulation, then GIMP is the absolute best bang-for-buck you can find. There's tons of online documentation and tutorials on YouTube as well, which makes it easy to transition. Just don't expect it to be a 1:1 translation between your Photoshop workflow and GIMP.

Pros

The fact that you can get such a great alternative to Photoshop for free still boggles the mind. Sure, there are limitations, but not nearly as many as you'd think. In particular, the image manipulation side of GIMP is so strong, and the user interface so similar to that of Photoshop, that I cannot figure out why more people haven't migrated to GIMP. It's free!

Cons

If you want to use GIMP for graphic design, the story is a bit different. Photoshop has made the leap very successfully, but there are glaring omissions in GIMP which make it fall behind. The lack of smart objects is one. Another one is the sub-standard vector graphics toolset. And finally, a lack of templates to start from makes it fall short when compared to newcomers like Canva.

Reasons for Choosing GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

It does 90% of what Photoshop does, but for free. If you want image manipulation on a budget, GIMP is the way to go.

Waqas from Education & Literacy Department

Free alternative to Photoshop on cross platform.

First of all it is free and cross platform. One can learn it over time to retouch photos that look professional.

Pros

I'm using GIMP since 1+ year and it's work like charm in editing/retouching photos absolutely free of cost. I came to my knowledge by switching to Free operating system Pop!_OS. It also capable to open PSD files. It provides multiple features available in Photoshop.

Cons

User interface is hard to use compared with the Adobe Photoshop. It requires deep learning curve for photoshop users. Not as feature rich like Photoshop.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

My department unable to pay their monthly subscription charges that are around $20.99 for a month. As we occasionally use it to get the job done.

Fabian from YogifabianART

Great process

You can find most salvations. Mix layers or transform it to vector. Good alternative to others or next or other programs

Pros

Desired features is that it is Easy to use. Always improving. If your Use to Photoshop, you will learn quick and is easy to integrate. Great for many use

Cons

Crashes a lot if you don´t save your project often or if its too big or complicated. Save often! Saves your work and temper!

Reasons for Choosing GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

I Use various of programs, some programs have a touch of something you have to try out. I like Gimp for some details

Free open source image manipulation and drawing tool

We use gimp for creating images for emails and some of our websites. I have used it in a personal capacity for basic photo manipulation.

Pros

Gimp offers a lot of pro level features for image manipulation and graphic design. It may not be as feature complete as some of the paid software out there but it should cover most basic to intermediate needs. It is easy to learn with plenty of resources available to read with a helpful community of users if you get stuck.

Cons

Gimp can crash on occasion, which can prove very frustrating. Just remember to save your work regularly.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Didnt want to pay an ongoing fee for software that wasnt used that often.

Joel from Freelance Artist

Industry: Animation

Gimp: Illustration and Photo Editing for Everyone

Gimp is a resource with endless possibilities. As an artist I use this program to create textures for character models both in cartoon and realistic styles. I’ve used Gimp to create 2D animations which were later imported into a UI (User Interface). I’ve gone as far as create digital portraits for clients. This software is flexible and reliable and I have continued to use it for over 5 years now.

Pros

As an illustration and image editing program, the advantage that Gimp provides is software that rivals Adobe’s Photoshop. Users can create illustrations from scratch utilizing various brushes and a palette that allows users to manipulate bit depth and color settings such as RGB and CMYK. Gimp can edit several image files including GIFs, PNGs and JPEGs. The program goes a step further and allows users to import PSD files a format native to Photoshop. If a designer cannot access Photoshop and they have a PSD they can resume work in Gimp. Using a drawing or image, 3D modelers and animators can craft tileable textures in Gimp. Users can view the final result without saving over the original file. Lastly additional pros of Gimp are that the program is free to download, it does not require that users log into a service to use it and it can run on lower end computers.

Cons

The program comes with a steep learning curve. There are several buttons and menus that may intimidate first time users. However with time this program can be mastered. Also the Gimp website features several resources to assist in learning the software.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

I switched over because no log is necessary to use between computers and it runs on lower end hardware.

John from Secret Safe Books

Top quality free Adobe Photoshop substitute

It's fairly easy to use if you've used and are familiar with Photoshop and the like. We use it for all of our image and graphic manipulation. It's fast, easy and free. For our needs I could never justify paying several hundreds of dollars for Photoshop (industry leader or not).

Pros

Gimp can do almost everything that Photoshop can do for free. I'm not much of a power user but it's amazing what it can do. I often look for features to use just because I can and because the visual effects can be so interesting. It has really evolved over the years with features and improvements in ease of use. With the last update to v2 it runs much faster on Windows 10 and is more efficient with computer resources than it ever used to be.

Cons

Being an open source application means that bug fixes and updates come slower than they would from a for-profit company (like Adobe). But since it's free, who really cares? For a small business like ours it's perfect and it does everything we need to (and more).

Reasons for Choosing GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

It's free and works just as well for basic to medium editing jobs. The interface is not terribly different if you've learned on Adobe Photoshop.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

When searching for a low cost / free app we tried using Canva for awhile. Canva end results look good and it is very super easy to use. However, the end product images and desgins tend to look the same. We wanted to stand out a little and have more options.

Take the time to learn, and GIMP is rewarding

For me, GIMP was a replacement for Photoshop. That being said, I've been totally impressed by the way GIMP has grown over the years. In its current iteration, GIMP can accomplish any image editing task I've thrown at it -- often, this required me to spend time learning how to best accomplish that task in GIMP, but that time has always been rewarded with high quality outputs. Still, I have probably spent as much time fumbling around in confusing with GIMP as I have actually working.

Pros

Unlike a number of other free image manipulation programs, GIMP is both extremely powerful and (relatively) simple to use. Users of Photoshop will not find it to be the most difficult transition. GIMP has just about every feature an average or casual user could want from an image editor. GIMP works well not just for editing photos, but also for digital drawing and graphic design. In most regards for most users, GIMP can do whatever Photoshop or other commercial programs can. That being said, the functionality of GIMP should not be perceived as Photoshop lite. GIMP offers more tools, brushes, presets, etc than an average will ever need, and that's before installing any extensions. My current work requires minimal graphic design work -- largely infographics and visual representations of data -- and GIMP has every tool I could possibly need to produce data visuals / improve those produced by other software.

Cons

While GIMP has become more user friendly over the years, there are two points new users may find intimidating. First GIMP -- as the full name suggests -- is part of the GNU/Linux lineage and ethos. Users unfamiliar with all this will probably be confused, especially as it relates to saving proprietary formats. Beyond that, amateur image editors will probably find themselves overwhelmed by all of the tools offered by GIMP. Some of these basic tools work in unexpected ways based on prior knowledge of other software -- on its face this isn't problematic, but the different way of operating sometimes isn't logical. New users will likely find themselves bewildered by the breadth of menu options, and the sub-options that go with them. I am certain of this, being that I've been using GIMP for years and I still occasionally find myself confused.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Current organization doesn't support Photoshop and I have no desire to pay for it when a free alternative exists.

John from Johnbie Crawl Thrus

GIMP is where it's at for beginners!

Overall, I have had nothing short of an enjoyable experience using GIMP over the past few years. It is versatile enough that I can use it for everything from making flyers and posters to making thumbnails and title card art for YouTube and Facebook videos. For someone with a limited budget and even more limited technical knowledge when I began, I could not be happier with GIMP and still use it to this day for ninety percent of my projects.

Pros

GIMP offers quite a bit as far as options and competes with some programs out there that can cost sixty dollars or more. When I began using the program, I was brand new to graphic design and generally making artwork and editing visual media on a PC. Through the use of tutorials and other sources that I was able to find on the official forums for GIMP, I was able to learn the program in about half of the time that it has taken me to learn other, lesser programs. Along with great customer support and tutorials, the interface on GIMP is much easier to get the hang of for beginners and the more time that you put into learning the various functions, the more GIMP grows with your skill level and on top of providing various tutorials, the GIMP community is one of the best communities that I have ever interacted with. Amongst the free editing programs that I have used and even amongst ones that I have paid for, GIMP has been by far the easiest and most reliable one. All of the work that I produce with it has a consistent level of quality and a lot of the functions provided by GIMP have been helpful in helping me to understand more about using techniques. All in all, I would say that for the price, GIMP is an amazing program for a beginner or someone on a budget.

Cons

The thing that I like least about GIMP is probably that in a recent update, a few of the features that I had grown to depend on were taken out which resulted in taking the time to figure out how to proceed. It wasn't a deal-breaking feature, just something that I liked to save time but being that I didn't use it outside of one or two occasions months apart, it wasn't anything that I was willing to stop using GIMP over and I found out how to proceed and get what I needed to do accomplished through searching for help amongst the forums that are set up.

Reasons for Choosing GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Mostly the price and the feedback from users of GIMP were the reasons that I chose GIMP. The price point makes it really easy to decide to give it a try and once I began to listen to the feedback from GIMP users coupled with the amount of support that I was given when I first tried it out, there was no question that GIMP would be a program that I turn to for years.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

I needed something that would allow me to be a little bit faster with editing and creating and GIMP was a program that met me in the middle as far as features and ease of use.

Carlos from Universidad San Jorge

Industry: Research

The image editing software that almost everyone should be using (instead of Photoshop)

Whereas some people consider GIMP as a toy software, or a cheap (free) Photoshop replacement, it is not. Instead, GIMP has proven to be a capable, professional software that does not want to be a mere Photoshop clone. On the contrary, they do have their own roadmap, own shortcuts and their own user interface, and even some successful plugins and features of its own (such as resynthesizer) have been later integrated in Photoshop. Whereas some consider it as being difficult to learn or not user-friendly, it is in fact a proof that it follows its own path to success. While I admit that from time to time I do miss some of Photoshop features, like non-destructive operations or basic vector operations, I am confident that GIMP fits in the great majority user cases without compromising final results.

Pros

I have been using GIMP for many years for my image editing projects (both, pet projects and professional projects) and I have come to realize that it features such an enormous variety of toolboxes, filters, options... that allow any type of image editing, even really complex ones, with impeccable results. Consequently, there is no need to switch to other software like Photoshop or the like. Not to mention that it is a multi-plattform Free/Libre OpenSource Software. Some features I like the most of GIMP - Multi-plattform: available for Linux, Windows, Mac, portable... - FLOSS - Customizable user interface - Selection and manipulation tools (like Unified Transform tool) - Real-time edition - Professional results Additionally, recently GIMP has seen a major improvement on user interface that makes it even easier (and appealing) to use.

Cons

- Small development team with small budget: as a result development happens at a slow pace, even though developers do have great ideas and roadmap. - Lacks non-destructive filters/effects like in Photoshop - Lacks some vector operations (only works with bitmaps) - While there is plenty of documentation and tutorials, most image editing tutorials and manuals are addressed to Photoshop only, and whereas in most cases the same techniques can be reproduced/adapted, it requires extra effort that some users do not want to make. - The fact that it is not so broadly used as Photoshop may be a problem if collaborating with others, even though GIMP opens and saves Photoshop's native file format (although, admittedly, some filters/effects may be lost).

Lots of capability for no money at all

For business applications, it's hard to recommend GIMP for any serious work. While capable, investing in more user-friendly and functional software would be better overall.

Pros

GIMP is an image manipulation program in the same vein as Adobe Photoshop, with many of the same features and tools to allow you to get very similar results to its more professional counterparts. There are many benefits to being free open source software. On top of serving GIMP for free, the code freely available for viewing and modification. Having many decentralized developers means that many improvements such as features and bug-fixes happen quickly. So long as there are people passionate about the project, development will continue. Also, documentation and tutorials are plentiful for GIMP, as the community for this program is very passionate. Simple searches will yield basic start-up tutorials as well as advanced tutorials for more complicated tasks. GIMP development stagnated for a few years, but with more recent development GIMP has made strides to become more modernized and easy to use. In earlier days of GIMP, it wasn't even possible to draw a circle without a significant number of steps, but this and much more has been added to the program!

Cons

GIMP is not as intuitive as competitors like Photoshop, requiring scripting and additional steps to accomplish certain functions. If you plan to become a designer or graphics artist and need to do image manipulation professionally, then GIMP will hinder your abilities to do so. Software parity is important in the professional world, and while GIMP can handle .PSD files it would be better to just use the first party application that the rest of the industry is using. GIMP gains a lot of leeway for being free, since there is no development being backed by a major company. The UI is comparatively clunky and features less accessible compared to paid alternatives. Do not think that you'll be getting the same results as easily in GIMP as you would in other programs.

Nimanthi from Design

open-source image editing platform

Generally, GIMP is an excellent alternative open-source editing platform for professionals. It's free availability on all operating systems enable users to work seamlessly.

Pros

I have been using GIMP for a few years now. Earlier on, my experience with this software was not quite right. Now that I am more advanced in graphics and photo edits, I have come to appreciate this open open-source image editing platform. Believe me, when I say this software is excellent, it is because the results are impeccable. GIMP has it all! Its excellent array of features are so good that they can rival adobe photoshop capabilities. These features allow you to tune photos, images and create an artwork of your own. As a graphic designer, you will be able to seamlessly crop images, make colour adjustments, customises brushes and adjust gradients among others editing. Here are some of the advantages of using Gimp over other image editing software. 1.It has incredible, and quality features making it the best among open -source programs 2.Single-window mode operation which is great for single pc operation. 3.GIMP is 100% free. 4.It supports plenty of image formats such as GIF and PDF. Additionally, GIMP is customizable such that you can add and remove menus or icons on the fly. 5.It is easily extensible to ease image manipulation with the third party. 6.Last but not least, GIMP works efficiently on all major operating systems. Whether you choose Linux or windows, results are always impeccable.

Cons

the script-fu is not user-friendly. GIMP lacks intuition on new users and can make their experience pretty cumbersome. Some filters and effects don't explain or guide how the image should be modified. It would be awesome if it would support PSD photoshop images. It does not open some files such a JPEG.

Luis Ignacio from DePodcast.com

The most complete emerging program for graphic design.

One of the greatest benefits that I have received is having a program that works very well in the main operating systems of the market, which has helped me a lot when meeting requirements in work meetings, in which clients ask me specific improvements in my designs. Another beneficial element for me, and for the companies in which I have been working, is the economic savings, the money is invested in operational improvements, which translates into better service for customers and a better quality of life for workers who can perceive significant improvements.

Pros

I like to have a high-quality program completely free, that has helped me a lot to invest in equipment that I need for my work. Similar programs, such as Photoshop, offer the same thing but the issue of licensing restrains any graphic design entrepreneur who seeks to work. Another aspect that I like very much is that I have the support of a large community, that of free software, which gives me a lot of peace of mind when I do not know any steps at the moment of designing. Many do not know but have a training platform that even certifies your participation, which gives you the advantage to improve your curriculum. Also, its constant updating has allowed me to diversify the formats with which I can work, I have not found any aspect that I can not achieve with Gimp, I am very satisfied with everything it offers me.

Cons

Over the years improve all applications that are contained, I have not found negative aspects that warrant my opinion. On the contrary, I am very happy to have software that cares about its users and does not limit its use with expensive licenses. With great care and respect, I believe it is one of the best options in the market for graphic design workers.

Sébastien from Omnívoro

The Best Free Alternative of the past Decade to Any Commercial Image Editing Software

The fact that GIMP is freely available on all major operating systems ensures that you can work seamlessly from any computer in the native format provided (XCF) or any other supported format. I have used GIMP many times to edit PDF files, either to add annotations or to conceal confidential information, which is easy to accomplish with a filter such as "Pixelize". For certain programming tasks, it came handy to create paths with the Bezier tool, exporting the information to the SVG format, which can be read with a programming text editor in a breeze. I have also benefited from its great stability, once creating more than a hundred layers on a single image. Since it can handle as many layer groups and layer masks as you wish, it is possible to iterate over one idea over and over again, discarding only specific modifications. There is also a useful "Undo history" tab that takes a visual snapshot of the state of the image at each particular point in time and gives a meaningful name to each step, facilitating the retrieval of a desired state.

Pros

GIMP really has it all: apart from being open source (free) to start with, it supports a plethora of image formats, including animated GIF, PDF, PS, RAW, TIFF and even text (TXT). It features a single-window mode, which is convenient when working with only one monitor, while the multi-window mode is incredibly useful to divide any work being done on two different monitors. It offers many filters and third-party extensions to ease some more tedious aspects of image manipulation. If you are into programming, then you can even take advantage of the exposed libraries, which allow you to programmatically modify images with any tool available in GIMP using Python or Scheme as programming languages. It is also customizable to the core: you can add and remove menus and icons on the fly; you can define the exact resource consumption of the application by specifying details for memory usage and even the number of CPU threads to use; you can have completely distinct configurations for normal mode and full-screen mode; you can create brushes or import from existing creations available online, the same being true with textures; you can configure and add keyboard shortcuts for almost any action you may require to perform and configure many settings to correspond to the default behavior you want in most situations.

Cons

GIMP wasn't made to work with Photoshop images (PSD). It does support them, but the experience isn't as good as with Photoshop. Some types of filters apply many different steps and can't easily be undone, which is sometimes frustrating. Unless you are an expert, the Script-Fu Console is not intuitive at all for newcomers and makes it hard to guess what you can actually do. Some filters and effects won't have a complete description immediately available explaining how the image is expected to be modified. This can be inconvenient when trying out new things, as a few filters take a long time to run and may cause the system to hang for a while depending on how the system allocates priority to the application. On the same subject of filters, it is also hard to guess how long a specific effect may take to render as many filters apply a number of steps in a row, resetting the progress bar at each step. Some filters may also have corner cases to consider, for instance when working on a very large image resolution: when rendering a pattern, it can show signs of incongruence if the image isn't scaled down a bit first.

Free Photo-shop Alternative

In conclusion, when using Gimp you will learn how to create fantastic site graphics and compelling WEB to graphics. Gimp educational online videos are the best way to learn how to use Gimp.

Pros

GIMP is also known as the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a great photo editing program that is stress-free to use. It has a lot of things to do with unlimited options on what to do for a picture to make it look cool. The wonderful thing is, it's free! Advantages, As you can expect, GNU Image Manipulation is used to edit images. This program makes photo editing very enjoyable and easy. Sure, there are essential things you should learn before you become an expert, but when you learn these first tips for beginners, you start with the start of stunning photo editing plans. Unlike photo editing, the GNU image manipulation program can also create small videos and animations. Despite the difficulty of creating these images, they are still fascinating and really fun. GNU Image Manipulation is one of the best images editing software available. All you have to do is go to the GIMP site and download it for free. Gimp is always available and updates are often shown with fun things to do and discover them in the program. Another great thing about GNU Image Manipulation is that you can add new things to the program. Unlike waiting for an updated date, you can go ahead and download some plug-ins from their site right away! Also, you can add different fonts and different brushes to the program to make your photo stand out.

Cons

GIMP has limited 8-bit depth, making it an unexpected choice for professional use in the first place. Gimp has disadvantages when compared to Photoshop in trivial issues the fact that it lacks the advantage of color management and does not provide control layers.

Vernessa from Blog Posts, Long-Form Articles, Short Reports, Case Studies

GIMP is No Wimp! A Solid Choice for Graphics Work; Robust Toolset Rivals Commercial Counterparts

Overall, GIMP is a fine open source replacement for PhotoShop and some of the other expensive creative suites. For a layperson who occasionally designs a banner or image for their website, GIMP is probably overkill and downright daunting. But for a graphics design artist or someone who likes to dabble, the toolset is robust, with elements to rival its commercial counterparts. I don't mind dabbling and doing my own simple graphics. As an open source proponent, I like using tools that give you the freedom to do with them as you please. For example, I use GIMP on both Windows and Linux platforms. GIMP has been a staple in my toolchest for many years. Its a solid choice for heavier graphics work; I use it alongside simpler tools (like screenshot utilities) and in conjunction with snazzier tools like Canva.

Pros

powerful punch: The GNU Image Manipulation Program.) GIMP is software you install on your computer. To my knowledge there is no SaaS (online software-as-a-service) counterpart. As a regular Linux user one huge benefit for me is that GIMP was initially created for the Linux environment. But unlike many Linux programs, GIMP has a true Windows version that is not poorly ported over. It's as elegant on Windows as it is on Linux. There are no penalties for installing GIMP on each and every computer you own and I've never encountered problems when mixing and matching the files from different flavors (i.e., Windows or Linux). It's rock steady; I don't remember a time when GIMP actually crashed. And if you are ready to exit, GIMP always reminds you to save any unsaved changes to your designs. GIMP has a simple uncluttered interface. "Simple interface" is relative; many menu items have dockable windows (like its commercial counterparts) so managing the various docking windows is what will keep it simple and uncluttered. One of the first things I ever used GIMP for was to import and edit some graphics saved in PhotoShop. I'm not a designer so I don't understand what half the tools do; I use only a few of the many features on a regular basis. Primarily I use it for quick web graphics, banners and graphics for blog articles, converting images to different formats, and sometimes to take screenshots (but others screenshot tools are quicker and more intuitive).

Cons

It would be nice to have a few "modes" that hide or reveal tools based on your anticipated usage. For example, a "novice" interface mode would be nice. The help system is decent but is a bit cryptic and designed for the designer (not a layperson). I would love to see better intuitive context-sensitive help. For example, hovering over a tool would give a much more understandable explanation. The screenshot tool could be more accessible (when not working in GIMP).

Aníbal from Banco Bicentenario, Banco Universal C.A.

My experience with GIMP has been great, very professional image editing with impeccable results

GIMP has brought me many benefits in recent years, I have edited in record time images for the websites that I have designed, I have made business cards for professionals, being a web programmer knowing that GIMP has complemented me allows to offer web pages without having to always resort to a professional designer, which reduces the costs of my projects for the end customers, in my work in the company has served me to perform specific tasks when working with web pages. I am very happy with this software that has been very useful for years and has taken me out of trouble. My bosses and clients are happy with my work. Surely I will continue using GIMP for many years.

Pros

I have been using this software for many years to edit images and perform work at the request of my clients in my work as an independent professional, retouching images, banners, logos, among many other things that I have been able to do without complications with GIMP, this application is free , I can use it perfectly without cost, this advantage is very important for me, I love that there are versions for Windows and Linux, since it is possible to install it from repositories, it is easy and it does not waste time searching the Internet, it has many options that include the possibility of programming your own filters this option Although it is very advanced for me, it seems excellent for the future. Another thing that I like about this software is light, I have been able to run it without problems on computers with very few resources, this has got me out of trouble on more than one occasion. It is important that there is a good amount of extras, like filters and brushes, that can be downloaded from the Internet completely free, I like that a lot.

Cons

What I like least about GIMP is that the existing documentation is very little in English and even less in Spanish, most of its users are German or Russian and the information you have is not good for me, the GIMP community is very small . It is difficult to find someone who will really help you if you have a problem or do not know how to do a particular task. The additional components that can be downloaded from the Internet are free, but not many. It is necessary to perform a manual work in other applications are performed automatically. It has functions that are very advanced and not very intuitive, it has cost me to discover some functions on my own. The graphical interface seems a little sloppy, this could improve to make it more attractive for a larger group of people.

Martin from iTech Resource

Mr

Free Photoshop replacement!

Pros

GIMP can do just about anything Photoshop can do, plus a few of it's own unique tricks. It easily converts between image formats including SVG files, and can read & write Photoshop PSD files. GIMP can also import Photoshop color pallet files. Some examples of GIMP's advanced features include layer styles (various effects that you can apply including shadows, borders, an emboss effect, and more), content-aware resizing (resize background elements without affecting foreground object), face swap, change object colors, cartoonify your photos, and create animated GIFs. Other useful features include red eye removal, make your own watermark, create custom brushes, and remove colors from some objects (like background). There are many useful plugins you can add to extend GIMP's functionality, for example image compression for web, and batch processing for adding a change to many files automatically. The PSPI plugin the adds the ability to use third party Photoshop plugin filters within GIMP on Windows and Linux. There is also GIMP Portable, a no-install, portable version of GIMP. GIMP Portable can be added to a USB key or hard drive drive, letting you bring the image editor with you. You can keep your favorite plugins and brushes with this package in order to have your entire working suite of image tools with you. GIMP is open source and has a large, active community of developers and users. This means GIMP will continue to evolve but will remain free for all.

Cons

As is the case with a lot of free software, some features feel less polished than their commercial counterparts. Some user interface elements may not appear as pixel-perfect as Photoshop, and some interactive features not as smooth. While the GIMP on a Mac feels more stable, the Windows version can be buggy and prone to crashing when using some plugins. The Windows version can also be very slow to start on older PCs, especially when you have a lot of plugins installed. I think the most common critique I've heard about GIMP is the steep learning curve. In my experience, GIMP wasn't really any harder to learn than Photoshop but a lot of users find Photoshop to be more user friendly. In some ways I agree, for example Photoshop seems to be better at guessing where I want to crop an image, or where I'm trying to position a layer so I spend less time fiddling with these controls. Photoshop also feels faster than GIMP when run on the same Windows PC. Loading images, and launching plugins are noticeably slower, although batch processing is at least as fast as Photoshop.

Abhishek from Cascade Games

Industry: Computer Games

Best alternative for photoshop

It is perfect for me. Photoshop is very costly for me. Usually for my game development I use inkscape but for altering the output image , now I use gimp and experience is fine enough. I will surely recommend it to others

Pros

The best part which I love about it is that it is open source software. It gives a very good satisfaction and gives a way for other also to improve it. The other best part which I love about it is its price(FREE) . This removes the barrier for many newbies. Other than that the features which I really appreciate about it is frequent update cycles,huge community and options of adding plugins and scripts ( many users donate it for free for other users)

Cons

1.) UI in my opinion is quite old fashioned. 2.) It takes more clicks to achieve the same goal as compared to other rivals like Photoshop 3.) It's compatibility with other software is not so smooth ( this experience may differ from user to user) 4.) It had been quite a time since it was released but still it has failed to make an impact on commercial space ( take the example of blender:- it has acquired attention of many big players in the market) 5.) Performance ( bigger files):- I have noticed that photoshop is much more better in managing bigger project as compared to gimp (not a huge difference but still)

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Photoshop was very costly for me and piracy is not my cup of tea. Although experience with photoshop was little bit better but still gimp is more than enough powerful to satisfy my demands

Ray from Trimal

Industry: Photography

GIMP is seriously powerful now and a keystone to open-source photography workflow

I tried switching to GIMP in Linux back in 2009, but found it awkward to use and wasn't able to achieve the results I wanted easily. Recent versions have been much better and now, with the release of 2.10 which integrates with Darktable, GIMP is a powerful tool indeed. It is open source and free, but please do make donations to support the development of these amazing tools that benefit many users who truly cannot afford to pay for software.

Pros

GIMP is cross platform and will run equally well on Linux, Windows and Mac. This is a big advantage for people who use different computers but are collaborating on a project. My favorite feature of GIMP 2.10 right now is its ability to open RAW files using either Darktable or Rawtherapee where the user can make adjustments, and when finished, close Darktable (Rawtherapee) and have the edited image open directly in GIMP for further editing. This is brilliant and offers a greatly improved workflow for photo editing. A new feature in 2.10.6 is vertical text layers, or the ability to write text top to bottom. This is useful for writing vertical-reading text in Chinese, especially for the creation of formal or fancy documents or invitations. It is also useful for creating interesting layouts in English. Much has been written about GIMP's 'healing' features that allow removal of unwanted items in a photo. In GIMP, this can be done using the Resynthsizer plugin, or the Inpainting plugin that is included in the G'MIC plugin set. While both work well, the G'MIC plugin seems to yield somewhat more consistent results.

Cons

Until recent editions, GIMP suffered from a rather unattractive interface and opened the main editing window and toolbars separately. While some users preferred this, I found it awkward to to use and arrange on my limited screen space. A single-window mode was introduced in version 2.8 which I prefer.

GIMP Review

Pros

I'm a happy and frequent user of GIMP especially after some experience using photoshop as well. It is important to clarify that GIMP is the kind of software that does not try to compete or overpower Photoshop. The most important aspect is that it is not developed commercially and it's free and open-source, unlike Photoshop. All its updates are also free and you can have it on as many computers as you want. It provides with a bunch of free plugins and I even had the chance to play around with the source code of some. GIMP also has its source code available to compile and that makes it available to wide range of systems that Photoshop might not support. Installation is as easy as it can get and runs smoothly even on older computers. I also enjoy the flexibility on keybindings, it can make the work process much faster. The settings being portable to different workstations makes it even more convenient.

Cons

The interface can be a bit confusing (I never liked so many floating windows) but that's the case with o lot of similar software too. There is a deep learning curve that is accompanied with not the best documentation, but once you get familiar with it, it shouldn't be a problem. In terms of usage from professionals, there are a few limitations so it shouldn't be considered as a strict replacement for Photoshop. It lacks a few features like CMYK, but there are several plugins to overcome those. Some points that mainly come along with the fact that it is a free open-source piece of software include that it can be buggy sometimes as there is no official quality assurance team. The user community is responsible for reporting bugs and updates and fixes can consequentially take sometime. It can also be a bit slow, but at least it is not as resource-hungry as other alternatives.

Sayed from Marketing and Advertising

The tool has been proven to be a very powerful tool in photo editing and drawing

Pros

GIMP This program is the oldest and most famous program for processing graphics and images is available on the systems of UNIX and GNU / Linux. It has been proven very quickly, very powerful program in the design of digital images and digital features and easy to deal with the tools within the program with beginners or professionals and is characterized as cheap compared to other expensive design programs is a free program main use and improve the appearance of images as well as re-scaled and cut and Adjusting colors, grouping images with each other, removing unwanted objects, and converting between different image formats as well as drawing logos. It can also create GIF animations Jump works on several platforms: most of the platforms of UNIX and its children such as GNU Linux, Macintosh among them, in addition to Microsoft Windows. It is characteristic  The program is light and small size does not exceed 16 MB. Free and free, and you do not have to pay too much to use, you can download and use it for free.  Supports Arabic by default and does not need a special version to support Arabic. Places of coloring  A complete set of painting tools.  Anti-Aliasing (Sub-pixel sampling) technology is available for all tools.  Generating gradients with great magnificence.  Add custom brushes, gradients and patterns. Technical features  Advanced memory management (tile based memory management, sic) makes image size limited only to free space on the hard drive.  Unlimited number of images

Cons

Slower in performance but very acceptable   It does not support 16-bit accuracy and this is my opinion the flaw is the good news that this defect will be resolved in the next version according to some sites. Some specifications need to be installed and not the basis of the program It does not contain a photo organizer program like Bridge It does not contain a RAW adapter and this is not necessary because most cameras come with RAW format converter. You will also find a free alternative to RAW format conversion It does not open some file types such as JPEG-2000

Simone from NHS

Gimp Review 2019 - The Best Free Alternative To Photoshop

Gimp does not have all of the features that Photoshop does, but is pretty close, and the fact that it is free you can't complain. The software is however open source, so you can make changes to it, and a quick google, and you can normally find a way or a tutorial to achieve what you wanted. I love Gimp and have been using it for years for Art and Graphics design, as well as other personal projects. The software is able to save your work in so many formats, making it easy to use your work across other platforms. A massive thumbs up.

Pros

The overall and best thing about this software is that it is free. This is a great alternative to Adobe Photoshop, and will not disappoint you. The fact that this software is free does not mean that it is lacking in features. Gimp has many ways in which you can retouch your images, has amazing tools for cropping, colour adjustment, noise reduction, gradients, customizable brushes and many other tools that you can use. If you are looking for more advanced features, Gimp also covers this with layer masks, filters, bezier curves and even has an animation package. The customizable brushes are a must for any artist, and adding them is so simple. This makes Graphic Design and artwork very easy to achieve the look and feel that you want.

Cons

Occasionally, and I mean very occasionally, Gimp software might have a little glitch. This does not seem to effect my work though, and I haven't lost any, but may result in a action box remaining on the screen after it has finished doing it's thing. This is not really a problem though as I just place my window that I am working on, over the top of it, and it is no longer visible. Gimp does not have all of the features that Photoshop does, but is pretty close, and the fact that it is free you can't complain. The software is however open source, so you can make changes to it, and a quick google, and you can normally

Linos from University of the Aegean

Fully and easily customizable

Pros

GIMP supports virtually any file-type of raster graphics one needs to work on. Vector graphics can be imported and exported, but not so easy to create from scratch. Animated GIFs can be edited, but again, not built. But, if one needs to customize GIMP, they have a lot of options. The easiest would be to find a ready-made plugin, which can cover up for almost everything not included in the main application. Two, there is the Py-Fu console, which is a simple way of creating and optimizing plugins. Three, if you have the knowledge, you can go straight to the source code, and make your life easier but also contribute to how other people work with graphics.

Cons

GIMP's learning curve was a pain back in the day, when access to internet was not available to everyone 24/7. I believe things are easier today; the learning curve is still steep, but apart from the manual, one can also read and watch tutorials that make it easier.

Bruno from Bruno Souza Fotógrafo/Videomaker; BS Marketing

Professional – AND FREE – software

I currently use GIMP as my main image editing software. GIMP is in the level of greatest image editing softwares. And I highly recommend it to everyone. GIMP is super complete. With this software and a little creativity, the sky is the limit.

Pros

Think of an image editing software with professional features, a huge variety of tools to edit your images, all of this at your fingertips with streamlined visuals, in intuitive, beautiful and very, very useful software on a daily basis. For those who have never heard of this before, the name may surprise, but it's GIMP that I'm talking about. This software basically accepts all sorts of images, has editing by layers, as the main image editors in the world, in addition to various filters, image controls, cutouts, opacity styles... I could spend hours and hours writing down here, if I were to describe everything the GIMP includes, and talking about everything you can do using it. And best of all: This software is FREE. You can do everything you do in a professional software, without having to pay anything for it, without monthly subscriptions, without a headache.

Cons

It takes a while to load when you start the software. But that's something completely justifiable due to the amount of functions and tools (and taking into account that other editing software also takes a while to load). You can open the software and go drink some water in the meantime. No more trouble.

Ronald from Myron Manufacturing

It proved to be a very powerful tool and a fantastic OPEN SOURCE competitor in the market.

Saved me a lot of money and made easy some of the common tasks I have as photographer and web content administrator.

Pros

Well, obviously, it's open source! That means it's going to cost you nothing. Even if you compare it to other popular paid software around there, Gimp is not going to let you down. All the basic and mid-range functionalities are available and user friendly as you're probably used to. If I want to mention a specific thing that I love from GIMP, it's that you can Ctrl+Z when you mistakenly add a point with the lasso selection, and also you can combine polygonal selection with free-hand selection. Small details like these make of GIMP a great option at no cost. I started using it professionally after formatting my pc. I've done a lot of photography edits for customers (wedding, birthdays, etc.) and for websites (online stores) and I have never encountered a situation when I had to go back to the software I used to have. Also, every update brings new original features. The creators are not trying to be a copy of another paid software,they are trying to create a very unique tool that stands out by itself.

Cons

Slow evolution during its opensource nature: 7 years happened from 2.8 to 2.10, but Gimp 3 is estimated to be out at some point of 2018 so this might be changing due to the success of the last update. Shortcuts: moving to Gimp can take a couple of days of adaptation if you're used to work with other software because the commands are completely different, but as I said, it's just a couple of days. Also, it can get tricky if you want to automatize some parts of the edition. It can be done if you follow the right steps but I think they need to improve that part and make it more user friendly.

Ideal for retouching photos

Actually for me personally it has been a great advantage to have Gimp because I can use it on any machine without the need for licenses, and it works a lot for the retouching and editing of photographs that is the main use I have given to it and that I have recommended to my supervised that they use. It's easy, fast, it's light, it's practical and no more expertise is required.

Pros

As an editor of an internal communication medium on a daily basis, and in the absence of private licenses for the installation of software recognized for graphic editing, Gimp became an ally for journalists who had to edit their photographs daily before uploading it to the news portal . The ease of installation, and ease of use for editing and retouching photos in size, color, brightness and resolution is for beginners and there is a lot of information and online tutorials for those who do not know it.

Cons

Very little publicity about its existence and the new features that the new version brings; besides, it is not intuitive for other functions that are not simply the retouching of images or photographs; as a competitor of photoshop it's a great alternative, but for quick and easy designs for social networks, there are other more intuitive programs for people who are not specialists in design program management. The official support is not very clear, and you should always resort to tutorials from other users.

I. Adrian from Tu zona deportiva ve

Good performance software but it lacks certain tools

Gimp is a good software for editing photos and images. It allows obtaining quality results for the management of photographs, having multiple formats to obtain the final products. Despite the disadvantages I mentioned above, I would not stop using Gimp, and I recommend it to the entire graphic design community, they will not regret acquiring it.

Pros

Gimp has very positive characteristics that complement my functions as a photographer. While I use other software to design and edit photographs, Gimp is also part of my repertoire. An excellent layer management to make the images much more colorful and realistic. These layers in turn can be combined in thousands of ways, making the software a creative solution for all graphic designers. Another interesting element of this software is that you can make or edit images that can be supported through scrips to be inserted into web pages. This feature is very important because it allows me to save time in the elaboration and coding of the image for the blogs and web pages that I currently use.

Cons

Sometimes I have to resort to other image manipulation software by vectors since Gimp does not have this option. I also think that this software lacks certain tools, however, I would not stop using it because I like the quality that Gimp offers for editing and the formats it allows me to work with.

Simone from Hospital & Health Care

Industry: Graphic Design

GIMP Software Review

I use Gimp all the time and have done for years. This is my go to platform for any of my Graphic Design work. I also use this software linked up to a Graphic Display Drawing Tablet, and it still works just as good. Saving work is simple due to the software having every file format you could think off. Finding tutorials for Gimp is easy and an online forum with the Gimp Community are always happy to help. This is a great piece of Software, and I can safely say I will be using Gimp for many years to come. I would recommend it to anyone, beginner or advanced.

Pros

I have been using Gimp for years now, and would never feel the need to swap to another software. It seems to have all the features to do what I need it to do. The best pro for Gimp has to be the fact that it is a free open source software. Gimp is a great piece of software because it is free, anyone thinking about learning image manipulation, or animation can test the waters without having to have paid lots of money for other software. The second has to be that it competes easily with the top paid software in the same genre. The multi layered editing works great, and the software is easy to learn and use. Gimp supports many formats, meaning work can be saved in different formats depending on your need. It is easy to gain plug-ins for Gimp as well to help customise it to your needs.

Cons

It can seem overwhelming if you are new to this kind of software, but to be honest, this would be the same to anyone who hadn't used image manipulation software before. Sometimes Gimp can have the odd glitch, but the platform is updated regularly so doesn't cause many problems at all, as this always seems to get resolved.

Fedra from Foto Studio Sanc

Industry: Photography

A free and easy-to-use software

As a photographer I like to try different tools to edit my photographs. Gimp is a tool that I used in my student years and I still use it to make small adjustments or correct colors and when I need to work with a software that doesn't use a lot of RAM since it's one of its advantages.

Pros

One of its biggest advantages is that it's free compared to others that are more known but at the same time very expensive. It's an excellent alternative for students or small business owners who can't buy paid software. The tools are easy to use, they have quite precise focus and blur tools and you can create your own brushes and modify them, configuring the levels of appearance, scale and use. It offers a large number of filters that can be configured to give customized finishes and a large color panel. Gimp is compatible with any operating system and it's a light software, you can add pluggins since it's an open software and the official website has many tutorials to learn how to use it.

Cons

I would like the interface to look more modern and be a bit more friendly. I also believe that it lacks more tools to be able to compete with the great design programs of the market. Unfortunately, it is not such a well-known software and people are still betting on the payment software; however, being an open source software, it should evolve and improve over time, but the add-ons are outdated and all are spread over the Internet, in addition to the complicated installation. If they could organize the add-ons, keep them updated and look for a friendlier way to install them, they could really outperform other popular design softwares. The text editing tools are pretty basic.

Avery from Real Love Interracial Fellowship

The greatest program I have ever used

This program changed my life in more ways than one. I have made fliers, posters, and multiple artwork with gimp. It holds a special place in my heart, because it gave me the opportunity to think outside of the box.

Pros

For people who may not have the money for Photoshop, GIMP is the perfect program for you to learn how to manipulate images! I have been using GIMP for 10 years now, and I feel like the opportunities to learn more are ENDLESS! I have done some amazing art pieces with GIMP, things that I would have never imagined to be able to create. The easy interface helps with learning quickly on how to make use of layers and coloring. I first used gimp for making transparent images and coloring, but it soon became a business tool for me! I still use this program faithfully!

Cons

Script-Fu has been my favorite add on script, but with recent updates and versions of GIMP, it hasn't been blending well with the new software. So I have 2 versions of GIMP to handle those issues.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Photoshop cost money, and I did not have much of it in college. GIMP was able to do alot of things that photoshop could, and it was free. That's what caused me to fully switch over to this product

Gimp is a great alternative to Photoshop - and Free!

Really impressive to see how Gimp has grown over they years. I'm an advanced user when it comes to handling image manipulation but I'm not photographer/designer level. There are a lot of features available, like handling RAW and SVG files that I haven't even played with. Overall, a free alternative to Photoshop? That's pretty amazing. And yes, you can open .psd files here in Gimp and work on content very similar to how you would in Photoshop. I haven't had to use their technical support but have found information in their Help area.

Pros

I've been using Gimp since the early 2000s and have used Gimp on Windows and Mac. They stay true to what they do, which is offer excellent affordable (free) open source software alternatives. I'm also a Photoshop user. I love that Gimp has grown over the years to really offer a solution that can give Photoshop a run for it's value. You can import your images, and have all the features you'd expect to see from Photoshop (filters, layers, etc etc). Gimp is a stable open source tool. I've never done a deep dive into how Gimp and Photoshop uses resources but I feel like Gimp has a lighter footprint on my Macbook when I'm running other apps.

Cons

If you've never touch photo editing software before you need to get to know the tools offered - this will be overwhelming for someone that doesn't have an interest in graphic arts, or getting to know some cool imaging software. An easier tool if you're looking to do some simple photo handling would be Fotor (also free). If you're familiar with Photoshop then you would need to adapt to Gimp, but it's really less of a learning curve. You're just taking time to see how Gimp presents it's editing tools. The Gimp user interface doesn't look as fancy/smooth as Photoshop - this isn't really a dislike. Because I've been around for so long using the tool, I appreciate what I think is a bit of a retro look for the tool. Anyone new to Gimp, don't let that deter you, because the functionality is really powerful.

Ishanka from Global Systems Solutions International

The Buzz Around GIMP

Whether you're just dipping your toes into the editing world, or an advanced designer, GIMP will provide you with the tools you need to succeed. For software that is totally free to use, it knocks the competition out of the park. Regardless of why you might need design software, GIMP will always have your back.

Pros

If you're into graphic design, then you'll definitely want to hear all about the free design software GIMP. GIMP is a graphic design platform that allows users to customize photos, create art from scratch, and utilize photoshop tools in a professional way. Plus, if you're a big supporter of cross-platform software, GIMP will be sure to get the job done for you. So let's dive in, and take a look at what GIMP is all about. GIMP is a great software if you're into photo editing. If you need a template to work with, GIMP will be sure to provide you with the perfect baseline for your image. Plus, if you want to start from scratch, GIMP can handle that for you as well. While most people think that advanced editing software may be hard to use, GIMP provides you with a very simple solution to this problem. If you're new to this type of software, GIMP has plenty of ways to show you exactly how to use their software. If this is not enough to peak your interest, GIMP will also allow you to utilize their own premade designs as a source to build off of. Some great starter tools you'll find on GIMP are: - Photoshop capabilities - Templates - Cropping tools - Cross platform compatibility - Gradient enhancers - Color enhancement with depth - Automatic enhancement tools - Brush options

Cons

While GIMP is more than proficient in most areas, there are downsides that you should understand before using this software. GIMP may be free to use, but it lacks a certain depth that other common design software can provide you with. All this means is that you might get better pixel editing software with Photoshop, and Photoshop is more of an industry-standard as well. So if you're looking for super-advanced editing, you might find yourself struggling a bit in some areas. While GIMP may not have it all, what more do you need in free design software that provides plenty of great features?

Joshua from Buddha's Temple of Body Art

Industry: Fine Art

Can't Beat it With Any Paid Software, So Why Try?

Overall, GIMP is a lifesaver in my industry as a whole and we could not get along without it.

Pros

While there is a steep learning curve, it's worth the effort to have a full featured piece of software that works just as well as the extremely expensive competition and has a smaller footprint all around at the same time. Text along a path has saved me hours of work alone.

Cons

There seem to be extraneous steps to many aspects of the software. Export as x rather than just saving as x if the file type is anything other than Gimp's built in type, even if the file you're working on is the type you're trying to save as, things like that. And the selection and path tools work in a strange, counterintuitive manner that makes one have to redo their work several times to get it right. No matter how baby times you do it, it never seems to do what you want it to do the first five times you try.

Reasons for Choosing GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Price and overall footprint.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Price and constant frustration with the growing size and hunger for system resources Photoshop was having with each painfully expensive version that you have to buy or suffer with a product that's past the end of its service life.

Linda from Heart And Star Studios

Industry: Online Media

GIMP 2.10 Discovered!

I am able to do basic digital photo editing with GIMP, plus some enhancements to make it artistic. I am definitely willing to explore it some more. I had to get the Version 2.10 to download, install, and open plus work properly! Before, I had GIMP 2.8, which took FOREVER to start up.

Pros

I like that it’s free, and that it’s easy to use IF you have Adobe PhotoShop experience. I haven’t used GIMP in a long while, and I Googled the latest version.

Cons

I had to work to resize the Toolbox panel so that it didn’t completely cover the image I was working on. I had to kinda futz around and thus refresh my long -term memory of how to work with GUI, or sliders, picture buttons, and those drop-down menus.

Reasons for Choosing GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Because it’s FREE and can do all the basics plus a few artistic enhancements.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

While Adobe CC Suite is THE best AND my absolute favorite multimedia software, it’s costly for me at $29.99 per month. However, Adobe gives student and teacher discounts plus the occasional sale! I remember I could pick ONE Adobe program for only $9.99 per month, with a one-year Committment.

Chamath from AdSpark.IO

Most powerful free and open source photo editor in the world

I had a good time with GIMP and I worked many times with GIMP every time it works well. As I’m not a professional photo editor I able to get done my tasks very quickly. I had a hard time to learn GIMP there wasn’t good tutorials and documentation is not well as I expected but however I used YouTube videos to learn most of it. I can recommend GIMP for non professional photo editors who are looking for a free and alternative for Adobe Photoshop. If you are a professional I think you better to spend some money on Adobe Photoshop

Pros

I can say GIMP is the most powerful free and open source photo editor in the world. I’m using GIMP to do small photo banner editing for my web designing projects. I can list down few points that I most love about GIMP -It’s free and open source -Regularly updates are fixing available bugs in the software -I can run GIMP on my low end PC very smoothly and fast -Customization enabled and can use plugins, scripts that developed by community -Works with many Operating systems like Windows, Linux, MacOS, etc….

Cons

When I started to using GIMP I had a bit hard time to learn it documentation and some video tutorials are bit outdated. GIMP is good for non Professional photo editors compared with Photoshop. For the Cons side I only experienced that.

Goran from Zagreb iTV

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Solid open-source graphics editor

I use GIMP when I'm not near my working machine, but need to make graphics in a pinch on my private laptop or customer's computers. As it does not require subscription or any sort of a key, I can freely use it for work purposes without any issues. I mostly use it to throw together some graphics for the videos we make, when some small changes need to be made on the spot. It is a great addition to my free software toolbox.

Pros

GIMP is the best free graphics editor software there is. It is fast, and useful in absence of other graphics editors. My favorite is that it is multi platform and free, so I can use it for the company purposes whenever I need to make quick edits to a screen for a video I'm making, on whichever computer is in the vicinity.

Cons

GIMP can be vagarious in its behavior. Sometimes it can freeze for no apparent reason and I had issues opening larger images. The user interface is abhorrent. The floating windows are unintuitive and the entire user experience suffers for it. Learning your way around the horrible user interface takes time, energy, and most of all thick nerves.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

It was so long ago, I don't even truly remember why I made the switch. It is most likely because Corel Draw was too expensive for me back then.

Mike from Print/Mail Consultants

Industry: Writing and Editing

GIMP Does Everything, But There's a Learning Curve

I needed software that could created high-resolution graphics for some of the content projects I do for clients. I had some trouble at first and ended up uninstalling and re-installing after changing some settings that hid some menus and controls so well I couldn't find a way to restore them. Fortunately, the internet provides a great number of experts who publish written and video tutorials. Every time I get stuck trying to do something in GIMP I do a Google search and usually find multiple articles and YouTube videos that help me solve a problem or use an unfamiliar feature. Some of my work in GIMP is repetitive. By copying an existing GIMP file and re-naming it, I can make the necessary design changes and export the necessary .jpg or .png images without too much trouble. Sometimes though, I still get frustrated by not being able to do something that seems like it should be simple.

Pros

GIMP seems to be able to do just about any kind of image generation and manipulation, giving a great deal of control to the user to create simple or complex graphics of various sizes and formats.

Cons

This program was hard to learn. It does so many things that the settings and features are pretty overwhelming for someone who lacks experience with the Adobe Creative Suite or some other high-end graphics software. I don't have the time to really become familiar with all aspects of GIMP, so I'm probably doing some things the hard way.

Reasons for Choosing GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

GIMP is free and has a large user base of smart, creative people. I thought I could learn it well enough to make it work for me.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

PowerPoint obviously is not meant to be a full-featured graphics program, but it works OK for simple tasks and it's familiar. Newer versions of PowerPoint are even better. Still, when precision or quality is important, PowerPoint isn't the right tool. That's why I installed GIMP. Clients were unimpressed by the graphics I was making in PowerPoint. I had to do something different or outsource the graphics work, which would cost time and money. GIMP, as an open-source software seemed like a better solution.

Andrés E. from Daycohost

A quick solution!

It's great to have multiplatform tools like this one. He could become the faithful friend of any user who faces the editing of images in his work. I think it's worth trying, it also has a portable version, for me it's very useful.

Pros

I'm not sure of his popularity, because I met him using Linux. However, he has been a faithful companion in regard to small editions of images and that kind of thing. I even remember using this light tool in a project of internal communications and the truth was not bad for us. It was the program that we had at hand and it worked. For day-to-day work it works quite well. It has a kind of toolbox with multiple features that can easily get you out of trouble. One of the functions that I like most is to optimize the images automatically, with the opportunity to customize it if one does not obtain the expected appearance.

Cons

I think it competes against many similar apps. However, I would not necessarily see it as something against. Another aspect maybe not very positive and I think it's something that I can do with other similar tools, is that for more advanced uses, some type of prior training is necessary to get the most out of this tool.

amiya from Intellectsoft

An Open-Source Web-Based Image Editor.

It has multiple supports of languages such as C++, Perl, C, Scheme Python and many others. It provides a high quality framework for scripted images. It provides high-quality features for color management. It has large numbers of plugins and scripts. It can be used as an expert quality photo retouching program, a simple paint program, an online batch processing system, an image format converter etc. It allows you to open multiple images at a single time. It has various selection tools and panting tools.

Pros

It is a GNU Image Manipulation Program which helps in editing images. It is available for OS X, Linux, Windows and other operating systems. It provides various tools for illustrators, graphic designers, photographers and many other professionals. It has various third party plugins which help in enhancing productivity. Its various tools help in the manipulation of high-quality images. It helps to produce graphical design elements, icons, logos and other artworks.

Cons

Some of its features need to be more intuitive. It has limited options to develop 3D designs; there must be more helpful options. It will take some time in downloading fonts. As compared to Photoshop it has fewer features. Its scripting may be difficult to use if you do not have any experience. It has various menus, submenus and functions which are complex and may be difficult for beginners.

Keith from MHILC

Industry: Philanthropy

GIMP is great, if you know what your doing.

Fantastic but it's a complicated software for the uninitiated.

Pros

This is a very robust and useful image editing software akin to Adobe's Photoshop suite. It's quite useful and features a ton of the same or similar tools you'll find in the aforementioned suite, with one exception. GIMP IS COMPLETELY FREE TO USE! It's fantastic and nearly as good as Photoshop in every way. In fact, you can find many Photoshop tutorials online and the same exact steps will apply to GIMP to get the same end result for any effects your trying to create!

Cons

Photoshop isn't the easiest software to teach yourself, you have to be extremely tech savvy to accomplish such a feat. The same applies to GIMP. If you don't already know how to use Photoshop going into GIMP, you better read up on how to use the software or get some one and one training (or even take a college class or something). If you don't, you'll be lost in trying to use the software to edit images. There's always YouTube tutorials these days.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Photoshop went to a subscription based model which I do not agree with. GIMP is completely free to use.

Christopher from Indiana University

Industry: Fine Art

Using Gimp in Place of other Software

This software is simple and great for the entry-level artist. The artist will have to get a feel for the tools and experiment/ practice to learn what they do. This software works very well for the new artist so that they do not have to spend a fortune on higher-end software such as the Adobe Creative Cloud. The software is also limited so at one point the user will have to upgrade to finish certain projects.

Pros

Gimp is a great entry-level software for users that are just getting into things like photo-editing and photo manipulation. It has multiple tools that the user needs to edit photos. For example, a user can use this software to color correct a photograph. If a user wants to get into photo-editing but doesn't want to spend the money to use higher-end software, this is a great place to start.

Cons

One con is that it doesn't have the exact same tools as a software such a photoshop. There also would a learning curve when switching to a higher-end software because even though a lot of the tools do the same things, they'll have different icons and different placements. The user is also limited to what they can exactly do. The software is designed to do basic tasks.

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

I made the switch to the Adobe Creative Cloud for a couple of reasons. The first reason being I get access through my tuition at my university. If you are a student check to see if your university gives you access to certain software. The second reason why I switched is that I wanted to do more in-depth projects than what was capable on Gimp.

Free with caveats

It's a free image manipulation application that will challenge you but in the end delight you with the broad feature set this application presents to you.

Pros

It has a majority of features that the Adobe Photoshop application has. Most of the image manipulation tools and photo editing tools you would need are present in this application.

Cons

The But. But there is a STEEP learning curve similar to using Adobe Photoshop. You will need to spend some time with the UI/UX to find what you are looking for.

It's free!

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

It's free. What's better than that?

Umair from Butt IT Solutions

The best Free and Open Source Image Editor

My overall experience with GIMP is really outstanding and fabulous, Because using this free software I have designed a lot of brochures, flyers and different templates for my personal use and for my Business activities. Several times I always design content for my Clients in GIMP. Because the tools are really easy to understand and use. I have also edited thousands of Images using GIMP. For the retouching purpose, GIMP is really awesome. If you want to transfer your content into a Professional look then It's really incredible.

Pros

GIMP is one of the best Image Editors and the most important thing is Free and Open-source software. GIMP allows you to design your graphic content professionally. No matter you are a Photographer or scientist, the tools of GIMP allows you to design awesome and stunning things. You can design mockups and templates related to your work. GIMP also allows you to design Professional Icons and Logos. The interface is really easy to understand.

Cons

According to my point of view and experience, I think so everything we can find in GIMP. Basically a designer needs lots of tools and features which actually we can find in GIMP, so for me, GIMP is perfect from every side.

Frank from Integrated IT

Professional-grade digital image editing in a free, open source package.

GIMP is an excellent product for our use case scenario; we often have to process digital images in the preparation of technical documentation, which is an important role for which we require professional quality results, but it is not a central, revenue-generating function. The product has a very mature feature set that will allow you to perform very complex manipulations, including compositing of multi-layer images, advanced transformations, and elaborate color management. Overall quality of the tools and filters is very high - comparable with that of top commercial products. This product is best suited for processing images, not documents, although its excellent PDF import and export capabilities can be used to produce professional-looking forms if purpose-specific tools are not available. The product is not difficult to learn and most of the tools, commands and filters are intuitive to use; however, the large features set makes mastering the application a long-term endeavor. 3rd party content useful for training is abundant on the Internet, but is not necessarily well indexed or organized. Overall, this is an excellent choice for people who need more features than are available in entry-level packages, but who cannot justify the expenditure of a top-of-the-line tool. Just be aware that you are trading cost for convenience, mostly in the form of quality of documentation and available training.

Pros

- Very complete, robust feature set, comparable to the best commercial products. - Stable code that performs well. This is a mature product. - Support for a very wide range of file formats popular across many industries.

Cons

- User interface is "peculiar" and takes some getting used to. - Documentation could be better. It's thorough and all features are covered, but not very deep. - Support. It's an open source product, so your support options are centered around web searches... There is a significant wealth of information available, but if this will be a line-of-business application for you, you may do better by choosing a product with paid commercial support.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 2,284 reviews