(1,640)

1,640

• Pros

• "I love the ease of use of this software, everything has been thought of!"

• "I love the ease of use and the fact that you can access it via an app as well. "

• "Love it. It keeps me on track, easy to bill out of, as I do my own. "

• Cons

• "The Android app had many limitations in the past but as of three months ago, it just took off and now it is excellent!"

• "The only thing I didn’t like was it was initially confusing on how to locate all the document templates. However, a quick search gave me a link on where they’re located in the software. "

• "There are a few things with having a parent involved for a minor client that aren't ideal, but easy to work around. "

Browse SimplePractice Reviews

Amanda from South Carolina Department Of Mental Health

Simple Practice saved me!

Truly a lifesaver. I feel like I am not a business person, but simple practice simplifies so many aspects of this.

Pros

I love all of the things that the developers decided to incorporate in this platform. You can upload your business documents, any documents relevant to your client records and so much more. I have created questionnaires that are specific to my practice so that I can gather data upfront and this prevents me from missing out on money. I love the integration for scheduling appointments, telehealth and billing and invoicing. If you want to streamline your practice, this is for you.

Cons

Clients cannot pay partial balances in their client portal yet, those payments have to be taken in the office.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Simple practice had many more needed features.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied August 2019

Amanda, thanks for your positive review. We're proud to give you the back office you need to run a professional practice. Please don't hesitate to reach out if there's any additional feedback you have. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Drew from Adelman Psychological Services

Best system out there

I have had, by and large, an excellent experience with SP so far. I am very happy I signed on and really wish I had done this much sooner. Their customer support, in particular, has been very much appreciated. This is already enhancing my practice. Thank you!

Pros

There are many features that feel intuitive and allow you to nimbly move through the system handling different aspects of a client file. I also like how the system looks and that I can access it through the phone app. Also, it is a great value, especially when compared to other systems. Trust me, I tested them all out.

Cons

There are some pieces that feel clunky. For instance transitioning between the client side and the clinician side sometimes confuses me. Also, while the forms are customizable there have been some aspects I couldn't change. I also wish that you could use your own Stripe account with the system instead of needing to create a new one. It makes it difficult to track where my funds are at any given moment. Finally, when you open a note but abandon it, it leaves your task list. That can make it hard to track what notes need to be completed or remain unlocked.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Best value, best interface, and the client portal seemed the most seemless and professional.

Anny from Gonell Psychotherapy Services, LCSW, PC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Simple Practice is simple, for the most part.

Very easy to use for simple tasks. Once you get into getting reports from insurance and writing/creating forms. There is a learning curve.

Pros

Price. It's very affordable compared to Therabill. In edition, they are able to transfer the client's list to their system.

Cons

Receiving ERA's. With some insurance, there are complicated forms to be emailed/scan/fax so it delays the receipt of ERA's. I wish they would simplify the process.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

I like the simplicity and ease of use of Simple Practice. They provide good timely tech support and I am able to send text reminder at no extra costs.

Jenni from Mental Health Care

Initial Pros and Cons

I am just getting started...I have high hopes yet!

Pros

**Note: I am very new to Simple Practice and I'm only three weeks in. What I like most about this is the idea that everything will be located all in one place. No paper files to lug around, reduced costs on printing paper and ink for intakes and informed consents, and I'm excited about having automatic appointment reminders for clients. I like that I can send clients the documents ahead of time so they don't have to spend 20-25 minutes when they first arrive filing out paperwork. We can get started right away. And I appreciate that I can customize the way I contact the clients as their individual preference (some want texts, some want voice messages).

Cons

Although I am fairly tech savvy (I'm the top end of the millennials), I have not found simple practice as user friendly as I had hoped. I have used many support options so far and find the in-person ones most helpful. While trying to create my current intake form into one of the forms and documents...I found it rather nightmare-ish. It was tedious and I felt like it took 10 times longer than it needed to. I was SO glad my 30 minute phone consult had given me the heads up to use the pre-existing template and just change every question so I didn't have to totally re-invent the wheel. I am SO glad the template already existed! But I still felt like I was using a chisel on stone. It felt tedious and painful. I'm glad that's over! Sometimes I get stuck on the calendar page and haven't yet found the button to default to the normal HOME setting so I have the sidebar. These are small things that I hardly ever have a hard time wasting time on..and yet I found myself not being able to get back there today multiple times. Not as user friendly as I hoped.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied August 2018

Jenni, we know you're just getting started with SimplePractice, and we also know there's a bit of a learning curve getting used to any software product. It's great to see that you're looking forward to being totally paperless! I'm also glad to see that you were able to connect with a SimplePractice team member to help you get your intake forms all set up. We offer unlimited live support - take advantage so we can get you up and running! Thanks for choosing SimplePractice and for joining our community - we're proud to support the vital work that you do. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Janny from Condie Counseling

It really is simple

So far I really love everything simple practice offers. I love the daily reminders of my schedule. I love that everything is HIPPA compliant. I love how it is user friendly. I love the built in templates and the ease of being able to create any new electronic forms for clients to review and/or fill out. I love that I can also charge clients through the system and that it automatically transfers to my account. Overall this is an amazing system.

Pros

I love that they already have templates in this system that you can easily modify and make your own. It is very user friendly. Like any electronic software there is always a learning curve but I found this software to be straightforward and easy to navigate and figure out.

Cons

I have had some issues with the telehealth video sessions. I am not sure if this is related to the software or my wifi connection. I do not have many telehealth clients but so far I have had 2 sessions via video sessions and both times I had technical issues with being able to hear my clients or losing connection. However, I am not sure if this is software related or simply wifi issues. Also, being new into private practice it is pretty costly to have this software but I made the choice to have it before I started building a case load so I wouldn't have to deal with transitioning later on. I am glad I did that but I wish maybe they offered new practices some type of introductory rate knowing that many practices don't have a full case load right away.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

It was much more easier for me to navigate and understand.

Sierra from Frederick Mind and Body Therapy

Easy all-in-one EMR

I offer both mental health therapy and yoga. I love that I can keep all of my accounting together on this program by creating CPT codes for all of the services I offer. The option to store credit cards and use swipe payments is a little more expensive than some other programs like square, but it is worth it because it saves you the time it would take to compile all of your ledgers. I love that you can use the note templates to create easy to use notes.

Pros

I like how easy it is to get from one place to the next. It is very common-sense based. I love that all of my billing is in one place. The snapshot overview page for each client is very helpful to look back at old notes and to see their contact info. I also found my onboarding phone call very helpful!

Cons

The price gap between basic and professional is pretty steep, but for the easiest all-in-one experience, you really need to have the professional for the most convenient program. The professional allows billing and secure messaging, as well as the option to create templates for notes, which are ally favorite things about the product.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

I have used the program in the past as a non-administrator, but using it as an administrator is so easy and straight forward to use.

Ayca from Comprehensive Neuropsychology of Indiana

Just what we needed

It has been great so far. The support has been very prompt and helpful with the onboarding.

Pros

There are so many to pick from... The ease of use of the interface as well as the client portal functionality.

Cons

I am part of a multi clinician group. The lack of a function that let's me search for the first available appointment based on appointment type and client is a big con and something that I would love to see added to the product.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

All the functions it has to offer (billing, scheduling, reminders, patient portal), the value for the price, and the patient portal availability.

April from April Moseley Counseling

Anxiety No More

I was overwhelmed to move into private practice at this point in my career. Having Simple Practice available to cover my bases and help me think through so many aspects of my job has been an anxiety-easer for me! I have loved the way in which is translates to mobile devices so well and feel grateful regularly for how it has cut down on so many of the time-consuming parts of this career. 10/10 would recommend!

Pros

The user-friendliness of this product is fantastic, as is the overall scope of uses it covers. Getting started was a breeze. I have incorporated more aspects of my business than I ever intended. I've been most grateful for the scheduling tool, the payment options, and the way in which is stores previous notes for continued usage.

Cons

I haven't yet thought of an aspect I'd like to have that Simple Practice doesn't already include. I can honestly say to this point, I haven't come up with a con to the product. Several of my colleagues and I have discussed more than once how all-encompassing this is and we are glad!

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Better reviews from friends, the ease in which I could use it, and my previous familiarity and like of the product.

Amy from Tiny Planet Counseling

Comparing to Therapy Notes

Pros

I really appreciate that clients are able to sign their client consents and related documents electronically. It saves me a ton of time and allows me to review their client information prior to their first appointment to ensure that they are a good fit.

Cons

I think the app on the phone has a lot of room for improvement. It only allows you to access minimal information. I also logged in through the phone browser, but that was also difficult to use.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

I has used TherapyNotes previously and chose Simple Practice over them because of the ability for clients to electronically complete their documents.

Eydie from Eydie A Guerrero LCSW

Impressive features

Very useful tool in running my practice.

Pros

Easy to set up & navigate.

Cons

The full features are only available for double the fee I anticipated. I will give another month to see if it is worth investment.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Several features, but mostly because of rTings and free trial.

Daren from Daren Casagrande, LMFT

Great Overall, but Their Settings Menu Needs Work

My experience has been good overall. I think they make a lot of aspects of treatment easy which is good given their name. I don't like very many EHR's in the world because all they care about is practice management and are pretty terrible for high-volume clinical tasks - which makes them indirectly quite expensive in terms of labor to use. I think SimplePractice is a good balance between the two - though their reporting and practice management is still pretty weak.

Pros

I really like their balance between practice management and clinical documentation for a small practice, as well as the degree of customization for forms and documents. Their portal is pretty easy for clients to use (I rarely get people having trouble with it). I like their booking widget for my website. The telehealth video/audio quality is very good. Their help database is one of the better ones I've seen, lots of great articles and clear instructions that seems to be kept up to date.

Cons

Their settings menu is not intuitive and you have to hunt around to find the setting you are looking for. CEU offerings are not on topics of interest to me. Their clearinghouse doesn't have one of the carriers I need. Reporting and practice management tools are weak. Their paid therapist collaboration group where potentially sensitive information is discussed is hosted by Facebook (perhaps the most untrustworthy and unethical software company on the planet) AND they charge us to be invited to participate on a platform that doesn't cost SimplePractice any money to host other than maybe some moderating? That doesn't align well with the brand reputation and quality of SimplePractice and isn't really a good value for the money (in my opinion).

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

For the reasons I described in my overall experience.

David from David Margolis, Ph.D.,PA

Industry: Mental Health Care

The name of the software says it all.

Overall, I find Simple Practice to be just that, simple. It has all manner of features that I do not employ nor does it force me to jump through hoops I don't require. I might well use some of the bells and whistles at some point but the ease of doing just what I need to do in minimal time is it's major selling point for my practice.

Pros

The EHR is simple, uncomplicated, and lets me get my work documented without fuss or having to click through various pages to record progress notes. Also, the names in the calendar appear as first, and last, as opposed to some gibberish assigned to each patient that I am forced to remember as my former EHR software required.

Cons

The setting of the appointment time I find to be clunky. It defaults to the current time, which means I have to scroll to the correct time when I make an appointment for the patient. Yes, a minor issue but I wish there was some other way to ascribe an appointment time. I frequently return appointment requests in the evening. having the calendar time default to a PM time is a minor issue but I'm not fond of it. A minor quibble, but I need to be careful or I schedule someone for 8:00 PM when it should have been a morning appointment. I'll get used to it I am sure.

Erin from Alive Holistic Counseling

Industry: Mental Health Care

A step in the right direction for our group practice.

So far, very excited, very pleased with your customer service and overall happy that we made the jump from three separate software over to one. Please see the comments above, in regard to your calendar which -- is the main criticism for your software. I would be happy to follow up on my ideas via email. The overall cost for simple practice technically isn't saving us any money, but it is saving lots of time.

Pros

I love how FAST and transparent the claims billing and processing experience is. It takes just moments to file and send information out to insurance companies. Whereas we used to have to manually work back and forth from various accounts when using our previous EHR program. I love the reporting features. We can cut out having to manually track information in excel sheets because Simple Practice makes it available to us at any time. This helps us to track claims, understand our financials and to keep on target with our clients' copays and claims. The dropdown menus featured, to pull up information on a specific clinician, and pull up their practice information, clients and more is SUCH a great feature for managing our group practice. Did I mention, that sending claims is easier than ever? - this ease alone is what has me and my team jumping for joy.

Cons

I don't like your calendar. This is where things seem to go awry for myself and our clinicians. I think that you guys would benefit by updating and creating a much more user-friendly experience with more control and detail from the calendar. Before making the change to Simple Practice, our office utilized and paid for Acuity Scheduling. While we totally understand that things would naturally be different from one program to the other, we were, and continue to be baffled and very confused with your calendar programming. Especially using it as a group practice. The calendar is very unorganized, there really is no detail and it technically takes us 2-3 minutes longer to schedule new clients because you do not offer a drop-down box or mini-calendar to select from in order to see available times. I also cannot stand, the way that when you click in an availble slot in the day view, it defaults to the very minute -- 60 minute sessions need to begin on the hour, and when we are selecting the date, we are having to correct it from " 5:15 pm" to "5:00 pm". Managing therapists schedules is also a pain. I would like to see an overhaul to your calendar that features new availability designation, new appointment selection, and one that works based on the times and hours that each therapist states for their own schedule. I want to see more control int he calendar. End request: Create a much better, user friendly calendar!

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

We have heard "simple practice" come out of other clinicians' recommendations, way more than the other competition. We decided to check out the 30-day trial, and then we decided to make the jump.

Nicolais from Cedar Creek Counseling

Industry: Mental Health Care

Great software - could use some simple features

Good. Some key features that I wish were present with billing graphics and information, which I mentioned in the cons section. If these upgrades/changes could be made, I would rate SimplePractice as excellent.

Pros

I love the editable notes/forms and the online access! Client portal is also more streamlined and user friendly compared to competitors. Reports are nice and helpful for the most part. Free text and voice are nice (however you pay the difference with the higher cost of claim submission compared to competitors).

Cons

The billing tabs are difficult to understand as they don’t seem to be graphically easy to understand where each invoice is being applied. Looking quickly at the billing tab, it looks as if I have twice as many invoices than I actually need and some invoices, invoice for a zero balance (or even before an insurance payment is made). This makes the billing harder to understand than some of SimplePractice’s top competitors. Also, I wish the reports would show overall totals of figures (I.e. insurance payments owed, client balances owed, etc.). These features allow me to look quickly at client balances and billing and get an idea of where billing sits very quickly, and again, is a feature with competitors. Being a one man office right now, theses features save valuable time and seem like easy fixes to the system. I also wish Simple Practice had phone support - just for the fact that time is valuable and I don’t want to wait to resolve an question.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

It was a hard decision over TherapyNotes. TherapyNotes has billing features and layout that is easier to understand. I went with SimplePractice because the client portal and online for,s are more accessible to clients and staff. Heads up though, in regard to features and accessibility, TherapyNotes is catching up to SimplePractice.

C laire from Claire McKay, LPC

Big Help for Small Practice

I really appreciate the automatic reminders to clients, especially those who may not come in weekly. It saves me a great deal of hassle for them to get the reminder and cancel well ahead of time if they need to rather than belatedly notifying me the day of the appointment. I have so far only billed one insurance company using SP but assume it will be equally as easy for others. That alone is well worth the price. Having the option to create treatment plans is also nice as is their offering of a HIPAA compliant platform for telehealth since that keeps me from having to find a third party to host those sessions. Overall, my experience has been very positive.

Pros

Simple Practice makes it really easy to get intake paperwork done quickly and in a HIPAA compliant manner. You can set up payment information on the site and easily bill insurance providers, something that typically strikes dread in the hearts of therapists. In fact, when I first started to take insurance and was at a complete loss, one of my colleagues asked, "Are you using Simple Practice?" The site also provides a way to contact clients confidentially by sending them a message with a link to their client portal and has a feature I'm about to try for the first time, a secure platform for telehealth. Clients can request appointments online and are sent appointment reminders automatically. It also offers a treatment plan option and probably has many other features that I haven't used yet. Support is good and they offer webinars and seem to always be looking for ways to improve and innovate. I choose Simple Practice after reading about a variety of options and I'm glad I did. They take a lot of work out of having a private practice and help therapists streamline their practices. I highly recommend.

Cons

It took me a few frustrating attempts to learn how to navigate the site (but they do offer many training tips). There are many things I still don't understand and haven't bothered to learn. I doubt that I am really taking advantage of all the site offers perhaps because some of the processes seem to be a little too complicated. But again, it may be a user issue rather than a platform one and I'm not what one would call a "sophisticated" consumer of tech.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Because of what others said about it and how it compared with the other products I read about.

Jennifer from Real Talk Therapy New Orleans LLC

Satisfied with Current Services and Optimistic about Future Improvements

The primary reason I am using Simple Practice is for the insurance billing capabilities so I can make my life easier and not hire a biller.

Pros

I love the overnight billing with auto-pay and the entirely digital intake and consent forms.

Cons

I have encountered issues when trying to create insurance claims. Additionally, it is a bit pricey considering the fact that many of the offered services can be achieved through GSuite for $6 a month for HIPAA protected documentation and intake forms, and through Square Appointments (a service that comes free when Square is utilized for fee collection).

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Better reviews from other private practitioners, positive experience with 30 day free trial.

Braden from Integrated Counseling Solutions

Excellent software, simple design

Overall it is the best software solution that I was able to find and I tested quite a few. The only other one that came close at a comparable price was Therapy Appointment but I found Simple Practice to be overall better. I do like it and really hope that they constantly improve the software to include the things I mentioned above. If they do then I do not see myself leaving Simple Practice for a long time.

Pros

For me the best feature of this software is the online integration such as the client portal, the syncing with my google calendar, the video appointment capability, online scheduling, online bill payment, texting feature, automatic appointment reminders and easy online access to my EHR. I also like the simple modern design - this is what initially attracted me to simple practice. I have had good experience with customer service. Sometimes chat has been available but other times I've had to email them (but I wish chat was always available).

Cons

I want more customization capability. Such as customizing what the client portal looks like (graphic design of the portal is lacking). Also would like to better customize the reminder and welcome emails, such as by being able to use rich text formatting. I would like to be able to customize discreet data fields in the EHR, such as being able to edit my demographics form to include things I want to track. And also be able to have discreet custom data fields such as to keep track of PHQ-9 scores or other biometric data I want to be able to track over time. I would also like to have faxing built into the software because I work closely with medical providers and this is their primary way of communicating with other providers. Also wish they would offer a different credit card processing vendor because Stripe is one of the most expensive ones I compared.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Overall most robust software with the best visual design at a reasonable cost.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied December 2019

Thank you for your positive review, Braden. We're glad that SimplePractice is the solution you chose for your practice. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Heather from Heather Krimsly, LLC

Not Bad, but I miss Epic

So far, I've only created templates, added clients, and input insurance information. I'm moving on to billing next week so I'll know more then. I would add that I really appreciated the half-hour in-person tutorial (via zoom) I received near the end of my trial period.

Pros

There are many things I like about this EMR: the format is pleasing and (mostly) intuitive, the side bars are handy, and the trove of FAQ's and videos is astounding and often very helpful.

Cons

The templates limit the user to certain forms and give fairly small boxes for narrative responses. I used to use EPIC and I miss being able to populate an open page with my template and add/adjust it as desired, like a Word document. I also wish the calendar allowed for more detail--like, a different color for intakes vs follow-up appointments would be really nice. Or, there could be a code before the client's name in the calendar slot--like, 'I - Jane Doe' and 'F - John Doe'. I also wish that the end time of the appts was more clear. I like to schedule a 15 min break between my appts and the "Weekly" view is definitely better than the "monthly" view for this, but still not as clear as I would like.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Two reasons: 1) I found a review that compared Simple Practice, Therapy Notes and one other small business EMR and Simple Practice compared favorably, and 2) A friend was using Simple Practice and I trust her recommendation.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied September 2019

Heather, thank you for your positive review. We're glad that you've found a lot to like about SimplePractice. We're always working on improving SimplePractice to streamline your workflows even further - thank you for your suggestions of what you'd like to see in SimplePractice in the future. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Geoff from GIbson Family Therapy

Seamless transition, works exactly as described

Pros

- Seamless transition from prior electronic medical record (EMR) to SimplePractice. Just great. - Everything works, and loads fast - UI is clear, intuitive - Features work really well, including the videoconferencing add-on. Just really great! Bottom line: It works exactly as described, was easy to set up, and really is a joy to use. Seriously.

Cons

I have not found something I didn’t like yet. I have been using it for a few days since I set it up this week, and everything is working really well! No problems.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

After talking to colleagues, I narrowed my decision down to TherapyNotes or SimplePractice. Both were reported to work well by those who used them. I chose SimplePractice because it seemed to be designed for individual clinicians rather than primarily for group practices (keeping it “Simple”) without skimping on necessarily functionality. Additionally, SimplePractice offers robust document management (clients can sign documents paper-free), and integrated secure videoconferencing. Perfect!

Response from SimplePractice

Replied September 2019

Geoff, welcome to the SimplePractice Community. We're glad that your transition to SimplePractice was seamless, and that you enjoy using our all-in-one practice management platform. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Michelle from Mental Health Clinic

Industry: Mental Health Care

Super Easy for Solo Practitioners. Need Some Work for Group Practice Use.

In spite of the cons noted above (and I could have written more), Simple Practice is VERY good software and would actually kill the game so to speak if they fixed some of the flaws noted above as well as improving customer service. While I do like that why have not outsourced customer service to a foreign country like many others, the lack of phone support can be rather irritating. No one wants to send emails back and forth to resolve issues,

Pros

Simple Practice really is super easy for the average user. It has a modern look and feel. In less than 60 seconds (52 seconds to be exact) you and create a new client, schedule and send intake forms to be electronically signed. Overall the system is pretty intuitive. I love that you can create your own document and forms. The template creator is fairly easy. I also like that clients can "request" an appointment, which I can approve or deny. Finally, the calendar has very robust features (even better than 'many' of the scheduling apps). Also this comment isnt about the software per se but about the company-- I truly appreciate the they encourage feedback and suggestions from their subscribers and take action on 'some' of the suggestions.

Cons

Simple Practice takes a really long time to get enrollments with Medicaid & Medicare. They blame CMS but even CMS says it doesn't take months to get approved to bill though a clearinghouse (Yes, I know SP is not a clearinghouse). Secondary billing with is an absolutely nightmare. You literally have to do it manually--as in printing and mailing. I'm not really sure why but every single client I have with secondary insurance billing section is messed up. Allocating payments appropriately is a mystery and there is a 'special' way you have to do it which Ive never been able to grasp. The end result is no client with secondary insurance has a zero balance. Treatment Plans do not have electronic signatures, which is a great disappointment. While there is a template builder, it's not intended for Treatment Plans only Progress Notes. Technically you can create an ITP of your own liking but in order to see your ITP goals/objectives to write your notes, you MUST use one of their templates (creating double work). Simple Practice is now being marketed for use for Group Practices. I was disappointed to learn that if you have Interns or Intermediate/Pre-Licensed Clinicians while you can review and sign their notes, there is not notification of any kind. This mean the Intern/Pre-Licensed Clinicians would need to email the Supervisor which client notes to read either daily or weekly--which is simply ridiculous.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied August 2019

Michelle, thank you for your comprehensive review. We're glad to support your practice with our best-in-class practice management platform. We're constantly working on improving our platform, as you've pointed out in our review, and are looking forward to improving our functionality around secondary claims, documentation, and group practices. Thanks for being our customer over the years. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Victoria from Victoria Fisher, LMSW

Best Scope of Functionality for Price Out There

Pros

I love all that I can do with Simple Practice. I was looking for a service that can house my client documents for my in-person private practice, teletherapy practice, and coaching business all in one. It makes the onboarding/intake process for new clients so streamlined and easy. It's so nice to have one less thing to worry about as a new small business owner. Customer support has been excellent. It feels great knowing I'll have help if I need it for something so essential to my business.

Cons

Sometimes it's not that simple to use! But I think it speaks more to the breadth of options available than to the software itself. There's so much I could do with it, at times it is overwhelming.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

The great things I've heard about Simple Practice, having experience with it in the group practice I work for and knowing its ease of use.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied August 2019

Victoria, we appreciate your glowing review. Our goal is to support practices like yours so they can grow and thrive. Thanks for choosing SimplePractice as your all-in-one practice management platform. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Casey from Kellie "Casey" Cook, LPC

Overall great software that could use a few improvements

Overall, I have been happy with Simple Practice. I wanted a place I could handle paperwork, notes, billing, scheduling, and secure video and messaging--this has got it all. It's priced fairly, and so far has been more consistent than more expensive competitors. The support staff is helpful and quick to respond, but I would like to see clients have direct support access so that I am not having to be a middle person when they have technical issues. (I was told they try to limit client contact for privacy reasons, but with a BAA and informed consent in place, I don't see how privacy would be an issue.) The biggest change I would like to see is for clients to be able to upload and send documents. This is something I'd imagine multiple users would appreciate as many of us are offering telehealth and need to have a copy of each client's ID. Also, it would be more convenient for providers if clients could access their demographics so that the provider is not responsible for making changes whenever they'd like to opt in/out of text or email alerts. Finally, I'd like to see the consent documents moved out of the client portal and with the other forms so they are more easily accessible for updating.

Pros

Mostly user-friendly, responsive and helpful customer support, customizable templates, clear video, easy client onboarding and billing, great value for the price

Cons

Placement of consent documents is awkward and not intuitive. I would like the client to be able to send documents to me, access tech support, and change their demographic info and opt in/out choices.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

All the features I needed were in one product with Simple Practice, onboarding is simple, and the price is fair.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied August 2019

Hi Casey, thanks for your positive review, and for calling SimplePractice a great value for the price. We're proud to provide an excellent product at a great value to private practices everywhere. Welcome to our community. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Lisa E from Whole Human Psychiatry PLLC

Does a lot.

Good overall. The one other thing I would like to mention is that you can’t get a live help from Tech support in real time. You can “attend” virtual classes, sign up for live classes (which I haven’t done. Time thing) and if you have a question, you can submit it to a chat community (not helpful, not enough docs so they responses are non-relevant) or you submit an email to technical support and they write back. Here’s the catch. You have to respond to their response right away or if you miss the 2; hour window they consider your request “satisfied” and they move in. My suggestion would be to hire more live real time tech support. And if you want to add physicians, consider adding eprescribe and a lab interface. Just my suggestions. There are lots of reasons to not cater to doctors, but if Simple Practice would want to do that, a few small fixes could make this a very usable and more complete package.

Pros

Nice and plain in a lot of ways yet let’s you do these things: Set up your own intake forms, diagnostic codes, billing forms, scheduling, a secure patient portal so when patients contact you, you can send them a secure link they can use to sign your consent forms, pay you using a credit card which you don’t have to handle, schedule a session, and do a telehealth visit in a secure HIPAA compliant way. There is also a way to do billing so bills can be submitted to an insurance company.

Cons

Simple practice is designed for mental health professionals and non-MD’s mainly, so as a psychiatrist, it does MOST but NOT ALL of the things I need for a telepsych practice. For example, I cannot e-prescribe, order labs or review lab results using simple practice. But that’s okay. They never claimed it could be used for this. So I am still getting off the ground with my own practice and will probably just use some work arounds such as writing paper scripts for now, and this is fine unless I get a patient who needs clozaril, lithium or delante, at which time I will need to get lab ordering and reviewing capabilities from somewhere else. So the thing is this. Simple Practice does a lot of things. For a psychotherapist non-prescriber, it would pretty much do everything you could ever want a platform to do. For a psychiatrist, it hits about 2/3 of the total function domain needed. For internal medicine, family medicine or endocrinology I would definitely recommend doing something else. They make no claims to physician specific and the main reason I picked it is for the telehealth and the billing simplification and the collect payment without touching money feature.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied February 2019

Lisa, thanks for your positive SimplePractice review. We¿re glad that SimplePractice is working for your telepsyche practice - you can always submit suggestions to our team on how to improve SimplePractice even more at simplepractice.uservoice.com. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Nadirah from Private Practice

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Now that I experineced it for myself-Telehealth (Therapy) Not as scary and awakard it sounded!

First, I am still learning the software, yet from my experience, I believe I will keep it. I am not shopping around for another one. The support is helpful, daily update and reminders that help keep me organized. At some time, I will add the calendar to my website. For now, the software lives up to it name in that it is a simple practice. When I rented office space, I had to be there to meet my client and some would cancel at the last moment. Now, I set the reminders, phone, email, text... and if I client doesn't show, after I have braved the traffic and rushed across town to get to the office, sitting and waiting and wondering if the client will show, I don't feel that I wasted time, gas and frustrated because the client did not call to cancel hours or days before. I really like my online office. I thought it would feel distant and cold...so far, the online face-to-face still feel personal. I also like that the system meet HIPPA and my state requirements.

Pros

I like the ease of scheduling appointments without having to complete lots of training of how to do so. I appreciate the stripe credit card system that is built into the software as this was one concern I had of accepting payments from client. I like the video conferencing and the fact that live training is offered and I actually get to see the people behind the scene as opposed to email. My inquiry to customer support turn around time was a reasonable and issue resolved. I love the fact the I can send a client a paid invoice immediately, after accepting credit card payment over the phone...thank goodness less paperwork. I really love all of the forms clients need to complete are available...ease of writing progress notes, etc...

Cons

I am still learning to use the software and got confused when I accepted payment the first time, and not certain if I needed to accept stripe versus manual credit card. I accepted manual credit card and had to make a correction. Each client recent activity is a running list and it would be nice if all activity were grouped under the client name. For example, when I click the client name, I see all activity that took place versus a running list of the same client name numerous times and activity. I wish that I could change the portal name. It appears once decided on a name, it is a url and locked, no changes afterward.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied December 2018

Hi Nadirah, Thanks so much for your thoughtful review. We are so happy to hear that our Telehealth feature is working so well for your practice, and that reminders have helped your clients show up for their appointments on time. With respect to your comments about the Activity logs and your practice URL, we can provide more assistance here. Please reach out to us with an email request by clicking the orange 'Help' button in the bottom left corner of your account, or by following this link: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/requests/new We look forward to hearing from you. - Natasha from SimplePractice

Still learning, but loving it!

It is obvious that a great deal of thoughtful consideration has gone into the development of this software. While there elements that I would like to see incorporated as a matter of convenience, there are absolutely no deal breakers here! I do have much to learn, but I feel confident that I made the choice for my private practice. Try the free month ~ be impressed!

Pros

It's only fair to say that I still have many things to learn! I've not experienced the insurance side of things yet, and that's a beast all its own. That said... I find the online "How To" articles helpful and easy to follow. The videos are also helpful most of the time. I have not attempted to reach a person by phone, however, mostly b/c I've not needed to (yet). Being cloud based was an absolute must. Love the intuitive and attractive visual interface! The Client Portal has been easy to incorporate into the company website, and clients find it easy to use. I like being able to initiate the intake process immediately with a client who requests an appointment. Super like the reminders that help me keep up with what needs to be completed. It has also been helpful to receive an email of my agenda for the day. Having the flexibility to modify forms or create my own is awesome! It took me some time to understand how, but I got it.

Cons

I prefer structure when I'm just learning how to navigate new software. It is helpful to me to have "How To" guides in an order that leads me through necessary processes. I found myself wondering if I'd completed everything required in a process, was there a tab I hadn't discovered, etc. Having a check list, an order, some sort of structure to remove the mystery as I acclimated would have been reassuring. Color coding features would be helpful to differentiate between clinicians, insurance companies, etc. I find the mobile app to be difficult to navigate. Attempting to schedule clients or see what is available is cumbersome. I've since synced the calendar with Google, and that appears to be working more smoothly. It would be wonderful if there was a way to connect local SP users. I've had questions come up that a user more seasoned than myself could likely answer in five minutes....versus the hour or more I spent chasing rabbits.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied October 2018

Thanks so much for your positive review. We have a thriving community of SimplePractice customers - most likely in your local area - on our Community Forum at community.simplepractice.com and in our Facebook community at facebook.com/groups/simplepractice. We're here to help - thanks for choosing SimplePractice. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Lisa from Valentine Psychiatry PLLC

Overall, a well-designed and easy-to-use EMR

This software keeps me organized, allows me to keep my patient information secure, integrates scheduling/billing/documentation in one place, and offers an app that is well coordinated with the full desktop experience.

Pros

The design of the software is clean and intuitive, not just the portion experienced by clinicians but also the patient/client portal. I found it easy to create my own templates and appreciate the ability to import the prior note to edit it for each session rather than having to start anew each time I meet with someone. Scheduling both by desktop and by app are very easy to use, allowing to set up repeat appointments. I appreciate the ease of generating superbills and invoices, changing charges and correcting them, and the option of manual inputs of payment if you choose not to use the integrated credit card payment system (Stripe). I really appreciate the option of "privacy mode" so that patient's full names are not displayed on my calendar. The 30-day trial was very helpful for ensuring that I was getting what I hoped I was and it was nice to be able to try both the essential and the professional features to figure out which plan made more sense for my practice.

Cons

1. I think others have mentioned the irritation of not being able to contact someone directly for customer support. Emailing is fine, it's not a huge deal, but it just creates delays with issues that I think could be worked out quickly with a phone call. 2. As a psychiatrist, it would be helpful if there were ways to prominently post the patient's allergies, medications, etc in a way where you wouldn't have to hunt through your prior notes to find them. However, this software is marketed to behavioral health professionals broadly rather than psychiatrists specifically, so I wouldn't expect it to be so tailored. 3. I would like to be able to customize the mini-website that my patients see in more ways than what's currently available. 4. The rates for Stripe seemed a little steep (at least for a solo practitioner) but it's your only option if you want an integrated credit card system. In the end, I am doing that piece with a different service to avoid the higher rates.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied July 2018

Lisa, thank you so much for your thorough and thoughtful review of SimplePractice. We're glad to hear that you find SimplePractice to be clean and intuitive, and proud to support the work that you do! Did you know you can schedule a one-on-one screensharing session with a Product Specialist at your convenience, any time? We're always standing by to help. I'd also recommend using a Sticky Chart Note to keep information like allergies and medications at the top of the client's chart - just create a Chart Note and set the date to sometime in the future, and it'll stay at the top of the chart! Thanks again for choosing SimplePractice. We're glad you're a part of our community! - Gillian from SimplePractice

Ariel from Sunstone Health Associates

Satisfied Chiropractor & Acupuncturist

Pros

Lots of important pros. 1) Online scheduling and intake, 2) integrated payment processing and auto-pay, 3) cloud based, 4) competitive pricing, 5) very easy to learn, 6) the team is getting faster (slightly) with updates/improvements, 7) works for chiropractic billing now, 8) free online help articles, and 9) free month trial. We looked into so many options, and Simple Practice was clearly the best in our opinion. We're still happy with our choice; the pros outweigh the cons!

Cons

1) Text reminders: you only have a few options of when they go out, and all options are 24+ before the appointment. A text reminder shortly before greatly reduces no-shows, so it's a major feature missing. 2) Confirming appointments: you can't turn off the need to confirm appointments, and it's time consuming to confirm every. single. appointment. We want the option to turn off confirmation, or at least for some appointment types. 3) Email reminders: you have to turn them on for every patient, and it's not quick to get to it. 4) Sales tax: they don't track it, so you have to manually keep track. You shouldn't use this software if you sell products regularly. 5) Customer service: too slow. Not just initial response time, but how many back and forth emails it takes to get an answer. I tried the live q&a and it didn't get me an answer any faster. Chat would be a big improvement. 6) Group practice: overall it works well. The thing that is lacking is the report to help with payroll. It's confusing and needs better instructions/help articles 7) Online scheduling: overall good. The con is cancelling online. A) it's hard to find, so we get more phone calls than we used to. B) we let patients cancel up to 12 hours beforehand, but the software cuts it off 24 hours before, so we again get more calls than before. 8) Color coding: you can't set the background color of appointments. For us, it would be so helpful to make insurance appointments a different color than self-pay.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied March 2018

Hi Ariel - We love hearing from our customers that have shopped around and find SimplePractice the best platform for their needs! It's great to see you're utilizing so many features already. When it comes to your requests for feature adjustments, we regularly take customer requests into consideration to make sure our product meets the needs of all types of business owners. We're created a Product RoadMap to share what we've done lately and what is in the works here if you're interested in checking it out: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005264123-SimplePractice-Product-Roadmap Thanks for your detailed review!

Jill from BKF Behavioral Health & Learning Services

Industry: Mental Health Care

I have had on-going insurance enrollment and payer reports since I started with Simple Practice.

It is simple with respect to face validity. You can navigate around pretty easily without making serious or irreversible mistakes that many of us fear with the technical aspects of EHRs.

Pros

It works relatively well if you have mostly direct pay clients or accept only a couple of insurances. It also works well if you have very few tech problems, your are pretty "techy" and industry knowledgeable to begin with, and you are ok with short answer email responses to any questions you might have.

Cons

There is no one to call. Even if you email asking for a phone call, they won't talk to you. Their customer support consists of sending you video and article links about how to do things. Or emailing you back and forth over the period of weeks or even months. However, if you have an actual, real-time problem, that cannot be fixed by watching a video, and requires someone to actually get on a phone and figure out what is going on- forget it. Your accounts will be hopelessly upside down, which is anything but simple! For example: insurance enrollments or payer reports that require immediate technical support, forget it. They will email you back and forth for months telling you that they submitted to have the problem fixed, as if that fixed your problem. Or they will answer you without addressing the whole problem. If you accept and/or bill multiple insurance companies, keep moving. Simple Practice is not the answer. It's too difficult to move your entire operation to another EHR once you have completely set up with Simple Practice and then you find out months later that there are no "simple" fixes when you have legitimate insurance problems.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied November 2017

Hi Jill - Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I'm sorry to hear you feel like we're not here to help you! That's definitely not the case. While we aren't able to respond immediately to emails and don't currently have phone support, we do our best to get you a personalized response within a few hours. We also have several Live Online Classes to show customers the various features in the platform and how to use them. If you're interested in signing up for any of these, here is the link to do so: http://features.simplepractice.com/classes/ If there's something we haven't helped out with, please don't hesitate to send us a message here: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. I'll make sure we help you out. We appreciate your patience and candor, Jill!

William from Just Mind

Simple Practice - there is truth in the name

I have tested out Simple Practice for our group practice and we plan on transitioning to it. It's rare to find a company so well balanced in its direction. The user interface design is well thought out and makes doing otherwise complex procedures simple and straightforward. The documentation and user support is something you would expect from a much larger and more resourced entity. The product development has been very focused and well planned as features are thoughtfully implemented. Some of their competitors seem to decide which features to develop at random. Simple Practice first popped on my radar in 2012 and they had a beautiful interface, a simple iphone app, but they couldn't do much other than notes and calendaring. Oh, how things have changed. They now take payment, and even do autopay on weekly clients. They simply and beautifully execute therapy notes, have a client portal, process insurance claims, have appointment reminders, treatment plans, calendar sync, and you can have clients signup and schedule directly through simple practice. You can even push them assessments to fill out to add to their records. I didn't like how their product shows client credit's and debit's. I will say that it seems like there is a more intuitive way to do this for reconciling accounts. When you first look at it, it will confuse you and I am sure it is something they spend time on with each new customer. This surprises me that they have kept it this way since everything else is so intuitive. The only area I can't speak to is what their reporting looks like. Theranest has a feature I like in their reporting as it shows you by clinician and referral source, who has sent you the most business the stick rate, and things like this. Personally, I would love to be able to see more granular data to know what each clinician is best with matching intakes with treatment outcomes and being able to see each clinician's number of clients who are active and their insurance to private pay ratios. If I were to extend my wishlist, I would like some limited CRM features as well to help with new client inquiries. All of that said, Simple Practice is the Tesla of therapist EMR's. They are pioneering the field and they know it. I recommend them to all clinicians.

Pros

Features, product speed of development, user interface design, ease of implementation.

Cons

reporting, cost if you have a group, the only credit card company support is Stripe's API and they have a minimum of per month volume before they will lower their fee's.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied May 2017

Hi William, we're grateful that you're part of our community! It's great to hear your story of revisiting SimplePractice after we added more features. We're working hard every day to make improvements so that both solo and group practitioners are able to use our product easily and efficiently.

MEREDITH from MEREDITH MAHONEY, PSY.D.

Industry: Mental Health Care

I wish Simple Practice did more, was easier to use, and the customer service was better

Barely satisfied. I ran out of room in the Con's box.

Pros

As a working mom of two young children, I was looking for something to save me some time. Once I figured it out on my own (which took too long in my opinion because of unhelpful video tutorials and unhelpful customer service), it now has saved me some time. I like how easy it is to chart progress notes. It has saved time and desktop space. Once I figured out how to submit claims, I appreciated not having to manually enter the information myself every time I have submitted in the past. These were two main reasons I wanted to switch.

Cons

I wish it could do more and was easier to use. Here are some features that would be great additions to Simple Practice: - Have the ability to be Excel where I can track office expenses (i.e., office supplies, tax deductions) - You MUST make customer service easier to get ahold of and more knowledgeable. Email back-and-forth communication is a frustrating customer service option. - Have your customer service people be more professional. When I video-ed for my free 30-minute video at the beginning of using the software, the person was late, not professionally dressed, and looked like they were at a beach house. I was also frustrated that the employee did not know more than I did. They had to check-in with people and then get back to me. I knew much more about insurance and how it worked than the person I spoke to. - I dislike the tutorial videos - they were not very helpful and felt like a waste of time. - In the Coverage Report, I would greatly benefit from being able to get the SPECIFIC benefit information for Mental Health services. This is often different from the patient's medical benefits (different copays, coinsurances) - Have it easier to be able to pick the insurance carrier from the insurance list - it is currently very confusing - I am certain I am not getting the most out of the software but am frustrated because I don't know how to get more out of it. I don't feel that I can count on Simple Practice team members to help me either.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Because my trusted supervisor uses it. However, once I talked to her about my issues, she said she had the same ones.

Gracie from Envision Counseling LLC

Successful Practice Meet Your Sidekick

I switched to Simple Practice from another EHR due to the features offered and the customer support. It is important for me as practice owner to have features such as managing the client portal access and the ability to send new client paperwork via the client portal. Simple Practice has all that is needed with integrated insurance billing, invoices, super bills, clinical note structure, video therapy, and credit card swipe. I am thrilled to have Simple Practice and look forward to learning more about all the features the EHR provides! I know Simple Practice will help me and my practice grow exponentially!

Pros

I enjoy the software has integrated assessments, a client portal accessible to place on your practice website, Wiley Treatment Planner, and built in paperwork needed for new clients. I am appreciate of the customer service that is prompt with response. The software has amazing training videos that assists with new users like myself.

Cons

Billing insurance does not seem intuitive, however I signed up for a class to gain knowledge in billing.

Susan from Susan Li, PsyD LLC

Great EHR after set-up and consistently EXCEPTIONAL customer support

I found SimplePractice somewhat frustrating in the beginning as I familiarized myself with their software and set up connections with insurance payers. I so desperately wanted SimplePractice to have a customer support phone number I could call at my convenience to answer a variety of questions. However, I have gotten use to their support system via email and love that I have been able to work with the same person with most of my questions. I eventually found value in the email support system as the conversations were tracked and included so I did not have to re-explain the issues. Overall, I'd say that SimplePractice has worked very well for me after the set-up process and I find their customer support department to be very professional and courteous and extremely patient.

Pros

I like the patient portal that allowed me to easily send patients paperwork to complete before their initial sessions, saving me time and money. I also find great value in the patient appointment reminders to cut down on no shows. The EHR is great for customizing my practice from how appointments can be scheduled to designing forms and progress note templates. The program also keeps track of sessions that needs to be billed and which claims were paid. Great features!

Cons

The EHR was a bit difficult to navigate in the beginning. It was hard to remember which links led to which features. I would have preferred major links/buttons to be icons rather than words. Also, being able to electronically submit secondary insurance claims would be a feature that would make SimplePractice even simpler. It would also be great if the patient portal sign-in page could be personalized, as I would like to include a welcome message and list which insurances I accept.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied October 2018

Susan, thank you for the kind words about our Customer Success team! We're glad to hear that you're getting a great value from your SimplePractice subscription. Thank you for choosing SimplePractice for your private practice. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Nina from Serenity Mental Health Services, LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Will be recommending at my next seminar

So far, it has been a good experience as we are adjusting to this software.

Pros

I truly appreciate the ease of use in managing client information. This EHR is comprehensive, user friendly, and does everything needed for a private practice. I wish I had started with this EHR.

Cons

The Wiley Treatment planner is not as comprehensive as it is in TherapyCharts for some reason. It also does not code exactly as stated as the DSM-V, but I'm sure we will get used to it and adjust.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

SimplePractice offered more comprehensive services all in one place.

Brittany from Flower City Therapy

Industry: Mental Health Care

User-friendly & organized note-keeping!

Great experience using SimplePractice since I first set up an account almost 4 years ago. I've recommended it to several colleagues and used other mental health software prior to switching to SimplePractice that just didn't work for me.

Pros

SimplePractice is easy to use, keeps my appointments organized, and is so helpful having billing and notes housed in one place!

Cons

Some of my clients are families and it would be helpful to be able to have an option to schedule a session under the label "family" (currently the options are only "individual" or "couple").

Response from SimplePractice

Replied September 2019

Brittany, we're so glad to have supported Flower City Therapy over the last 4 years. Thank you for your continued support as our customer, and for your positive review. We're always working on introducing even more features and functionality to SimplePractice - keep an eye out for updates to the product in the future to streamline your experience of working with families. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Sheila from Sheila Mulvihill, LMFT

Best Purchase

Overall I am finding using simple practice to be very helpful and useful and has been easily accessible for my client's as well. It is easy and convenient to use.

Pros

I like how easy and convenient it is to use the software on any laptop and being able to have access to it on a smartphone device. I like that you are able to add your own documents for client use and/or viewing and not required to only use the templates provided. I enjoy having access to several assessment screening tools handy. Creating notes and treatment plans are very simple. I am transitioning from paper charts to electronic EHR and the switchover seemed to be pretty simple and not too time consuming. At the beginning of familiarizing myself with Simple Practice I had to contact customer support a couple times and the response time was a quick turnaround and they were able to guide me in taking the steps to resolve the issues I needed help with. Using the community support has several topics that are useful and helpful.

Cons

I dislike that there are no fillable forms available currently for clients to fill out. I am hoping in the future there will be access to fillable forms. The calendar view would be nice to have the option to mark only showing by the hour when adding new appointments in instead of breaking down or scrolling through minute by minute.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

I was looking for an EHR program and had heard great things about simple practice through my colleagues and decided to try it out.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied August 2019

Sheila, thanks for your positive review. We're glad that you're enjoying SimplePractice so far. Did you know that we have a library of fillable forms for your clients to fill out during the intake process in our Template Library? If you need assistance getting your Client Portal set up so you can send clients forms to fill out and eSign, don't hesitate to reach out - we're here to help. - Gillian from SimplePractice

July 2016

Heather from Heather Lussier, LCSW, LCASA

July 2016

Efficient, intuitive, and oh-so-supportive.

I will be the first to admit that the administrative side of running a psychtherapy office isn't what nourishes me most - it's the relationships with my clients and colleagues that sustain and inspire me. That said, I realize that the administrative aspect of my business is central to building a successful practice so that I can continue to do the work that I love. Finding a practice management system that is effective and intuitive, and built for mental health therapists, has been a game changer. I knew I would find the right system, eventually. SimplePractice fit the bill. What came as a surprise is the quality of the relationships that I'd build with the customer support professionals at SimplePractice. When getting started, I reached out to customer support about various aspects related to enrollment and billing of Medicare. I had a unique-ish circumstance with my enrollment due to address changes. I had spent a significant amount of time on the phone with Medicare and got as far as I could with them. I reached out to SimplePractice support by email (there's no phone number!) and admittedly, I thought I'd never hear back - that feeling of sending an email out into the universe to float around forever. I had not even registered for SP, yet. Well, I had a response within 1 day. The responder was encouraging, informed, concise and kind (remember I'm all about the relationship). In some ways, I couldn't believe how simple he made it for me, so I clarified with him 2 times! In each rresponse, he remained professional, encouraging, and helpful. It was a dream come true. A technology for therapists that thrive in relationships. A responder that spoke a technology language that I understood. Someone that wanted me to be successful in building my management system. In this age of nameless, faceless interactions, I really felt like "Will" was there to not just answer a question, but to help me be successful in my business.

Pros

Responsive customer support. Appointment reminders . Client portal for intake paperwork and billing. Nice visual interface. Intuitive. Built in credit card processing. Intake paperwork forms that are built for therapy offices.

Cons

Nothing I've identified, yet.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied July 2016

Heather, this made our day! We love everything you said. We exist because we want to help our customers focus on the work they love and not have to worry about the busy work. We're here for you! Thanks for joining our growing SimplePractice community!

Amy from Amy Bouvin, LCSW

from paper to technology

Overall I am very pleased with this product and the more comfortable I get with it the more time it will save me.

Pros

the features I appreciate most about the software are the auto billing and automatic superbill generation. these are tasks that have no return on my time investment and so anything to automatize or regain my time is a good financial investment for me. I also appreciate the ease of adding my clinical note directly to the appointment, the way it links couples together and the ability to share and upload documents with clients. the customer service has been stellar, from answering questions to providing a free 1:1 consult. They have also responded to our request of adjusting the demographic form to be more inclusive which was a major need for my practice.

Cons

I don't like that I have to add a whole separate client entity for couples and that they have to sign their own consents. Creating your own intake questionnaire is extremely tedious if its comprehensive and so I'm yet to try and get my current form onto the system because it would take me hours.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Recommendations from colleagues and the experience of the free trial. The ease of which I was able to navigate the interface made me want to continue trying things.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied September 2019

Amy, thank you for your positive review - we're glad that automation of your practice workflows has helped you save time and get a higher return on your time investment. We're also proud to continue iterating on SimplePractice to introduce new, better features to more effectively support your practice and clients. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Kelly from Pursuit of Wellness

Industry: Mental Health Care

Easy to use, still room to improve

Overall, I really like Simple Practice and will continue to use it. I hope they continue to take input from it's users and make adjustments.

Pros

Generally, everything is user friendly. It is secure and relatively easy for myself and my clients to use. It is organized and aesthetically pleasing.

Cons

Adding forms is challenging. Despite having many templates and the ability to create documents, you are unable to add them to a chart. You need to create them, fill them out, print them, and then scan them back into the chart. There MUST be an easier way.

Cathy from Pawse Wellneess Clinic

Industry: Mental Health Care

Tried a few, decided to keep SimplePractice

I can now easily log my notes without taking up space in my office (I converted from paper files to SP); I can input my notes much quicker; text reminders for clients!! No more no-call-no-shows!!

Pros

SP is easy to use and quite intuitive. The customer service agents are simply amazing - always very kind and unlike many from other companies, they actually take the time to read and write personalized replies instead of sending out a cookie-cutter template. I've asked more questions than I care to remember and every single time, I have received a precise answer with clear, detailed explanations. That, in my opinion, makes it all worth it. It has pretty much all the features I need without going over-the-top with bells and whistles, adding unnecessary bloat like another major service provider.

Cons

There are only two things which come to mind, and they aren't major cons. The first is the inability to fully personalize text messages in another language - we can modify the text reminder; however, the date that is sent with the message remains in english (so in a french message, the date still appears in english - day of the week, month, date, time). Not a major issue, but it would be great to offer an option to convert the whole message into a given language. Second is the ability to add an add-on service for an appointment. For example, I offer animal-assisted therapy to some of my clients. I would love to be able to track how many hours my animals are putting in; as of now, there is no way to add and add-on service, I have to actually enter my co-therapist as a client and "book" him an appointment for his hours to appear somewhere in my logs. Again, not a major issue, it would simply be nice to be able to add additional services to a session.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied April 2018

Hi Cathy, I'm so happy to hear SimplePractice has felt intuitive and that your communication with customer service has been clear and precise. If you're interested, feel free to check out our product roadmap blog to keep up with what we're working on: https://tinyurl.com/y8hklj7b. Best, Niki

Katie from Wisdom Within Counseling, LLC

AWESOME investment for my private practice!

Pros

I like the Ehr features, how everything is available on my phone or computer. When I worked at an agency, I used Greenway, another electronic system, so this is simply so perfect for my private practice needs - organization, client info, convenience, customizable email templates/forms, all electronic paperwork. I appreciate the Simple Practice team behind the software! When I had an issue, we scheduled screen sharing to work through it and the team is very prompt with email replies. I love that everything is EASY and convenient, so I don't need any paperwork. I also like how stripe is connected and recurrent auto pay is an option. I am private pay, so it's easy to edit the cost of a client's session depending if they are on a sliding scale. Also, there is a "book online" feature, so I have added this to my website and clients are using it! One of my client's mom's loves booking sessions at 11pm and planning for the week ahead, so the feedback is super positive. Love it!

Cons

The app and the safari browse are different. Some things aren't in the app, so I always just keep the browser open. One thing I'd like to improve: there is only room for one person's phone number to get the automated text and voicemail reminders. I see kids and some teens, so I'd like mom, dad, and teen client to each get a text and voicemail reminder about the appointment. It would be great to have two three people's phone numbers to have auto texting reminders sent to them.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied April 2018

Katie, thank you so much for the kind words - we're glad to hear that SimplePractice is making your life as a private practitioner easy. You'll be happy to hear that improvements to our mobile app functionality, and improvements to management of groups and families in the Client Portal, are both at the top of our Product Roadmap. You can keep up with our Roadmap here: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005264123-SimplePractice-Product-Roadmap We're proud to support the transformative work that you do! - Gillian at SimplePractice

Jesse from Bear Paw Recovery Center

Industry: Mental Health Care

I like the layout and ease of use for billing and clinical stuff. The overall is good and have already recommended to others just today.

Pros

It was easy to get started. It was pretty user friendly. The telehealth option is awesome and easy to use. Being able to edit templates is great. Scheduling has diagnosis (wrong language for my industry) CPS codes and note attached all in one place which is convenient.

Cons

It does not have an option to write one group note for all clients in that group with an option to edit all in one place and then sign and send to each individual chart. Wrong language on substance use diagnosis code wording. It is whatever substance use then disorder mild moderate or severe. Example F10.20 alcohol use disorder severe. Not alcohol dependence. The treatment planner was not editable.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied September 2019

Jesse, thank you for your comprehensive review. SimplePractice uses the language and descriptions for diagnosis codes according to the ICD-10. If you ever have questions about SimplePractice, please don't hesitate to reach out to our Success team - we're here to help. Thanks for recommending SimplePractice to your colleagues! - Gillian from SimplePractice

Nidhi from Nidhi Tewari, LCSW, LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Solid software for private practice

I’ve enjoyed my experience and I look forward to continuing to use Simple Practice in my solo practice.

Pros

I enjoyed being able to customize my client portal documents and have a completely paperless system. The billing features are so helpful for tracking revenue, and I like being able to see the insights and trends in my business. I love the credit card option, and the autobill option allows me to easily enforce my rates and policies.

Cons

It can be a bit challenging initially navigating through how to use the EHR. It took me a while to figure out how to access the settings, as it’s not a separate button. The notes are less user friendly than in Therapy Notes, where I feel there are lots of drop down menus to quickly input information, and there is the option to autofill and make adjustments if the mental status exam results are WNL. I also wish that if you click on a future date to schedule an appointment, that the appointment information would auto populate to that date. There have been times I’ve scheduled a future session, and I couldn’t find the appointment because it showed up on the present date instead of the future date.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

I felt that the price was better, and that there are more features I like in Simple Practice. The client experience is better in a lot of ways with Simple Practice, and once I figured out how to customize my documents and portal information, I found Simple Practice very user friendly for the therapist and the client.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied July 2019

Nidhi, thanks for your thoughtful feedback - we're always listening to our customers to learn what we could improve, so thank you for your candor. We're glad you decided to switch to SimplePractice - welcome to our Community. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Lalo from The Listening Body Counseling Serviced

Simple Practice is what I've been missing

Pros

I'm still very new to SP but, first and foremost I so appreciate the integrated digital form! Having not had that with my last EHR, it is such a relief to not have to deal with stacks of paperwork that need to be scanned. I also appreciate that text appointment reminders are included in the monthly fee as well as the ability for clients to easily schedule a consultation appointment from my website.

Cons

Nothing beats having live customer support easily and quickly accessible so it's an adjustment not having that feature with SP. I'm also not a fan of the language, "let's manage expectations for your call". Makes me feel like I'm going to need to rush and not take up too much of the customer service rep's time. That being said, the live chats have actually been helpful and have gone smoothly.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied December 2019

Lalo, thanks for your positive review. We're glad that our paperless intake feature is saving you time and helping your practice run more efficiently. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Carolyn from Carolyn A Trasko LLC

Glad I made the switch:)

Pros

I'm a new Simple Practice user, but not new to using electronic health records for my private practice. I made the decision to switch to Simple Practice from my previous software to allow me to access my records from any device. I now have a virtual presence for the first time in my work, so having this type of access, in a HIPAA compliant format, is crucial. I love how user-friendly the software is and found I was able to migrate all the data from my previous software in a relatively short amount of time. My clients have provided positive feedback about getting automated appointment reminders, automated billing / payment options, and a dedicated client portal. I look forward to using the billing functionality in the near future.

Cons

I'm new to cloud-based software so I am concerned about all of my practice information existing in the cloud only. There was no clear information in the portal for how to go about backing up data to your own hard drive but I was able to contact support and learn the necessary steps to complete a backup through a Data Export function. Also, insurance companies who require electronic billing (such as Medicare) require an account ID to be assigned to the client record. Simple Practice software does not automatically do this (my other software did) and therefore the practitioner has to manually create a system and assign one and then attach it as sticky note in the client record.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Simple Practice is specifically marketed and designed for ease of use for clinical providers like myself.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied September 2019

Carolyn, we're glad you made the switch to SimplePractice too. Thanks for your comprehensive review - it's wonderful to see that you'd recommend SimplePractice to a colleague. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Will from Will R. Logan Therapy Services, PLLC

Overall Helpful Software), as well as

I'm surprised to love SimplePractice so much! It's been a really great way to take control of and streamline multiple facets of my practice.

Pros

I switched from paper files to SimplePractice, and as someone who doesn't always enjoy the tech version of things, I'm a surprised fan of SimplePractice. I enjoy the ease of scheduling and the 2-way sync with my Google Calendar, the paperless intake process (which I finally started using a few months in and wish I had been using it from the beginning), and being able to track my income and completed notes. Customer service has also been very friendly thus far.

Cons

There are very limited demographic questions for clients in the intake process, which are unfortunately not editable by the clinician. I have the option to create own intake paperwork, but have to inform clients to ignore the demographic section and just fill out the more affirming open-ended questions in my intake form. Credit card integration through Stripe is great in theory, but I have found much cheaper rates (with stored cards and HIPAA compliance) through Ivy Pay. I also wish that the "Insights" section showed estimated income for all upcoming months with scheduled appointments, not just the current month. It's an incredibly helpful feature and would be great to use to plan our farther ahead.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied October 2018

Hi Will, we're so glad to hear that you love SimplePractice and find it to be helpful. We're glad that the paperless intake process is saving you time. Thanks for your candor - we're always looking for ways to improve SimplePractice. Welcome to our community. - Gillian from SimplePractice

December 2014

Melissa from Private Practice

December 2014

Life changing, no exaggeration!

There are many programs out there designed to help keep therapists organized, but this is hands down the best one. For years I have actually avoided buying any of the similar products, because after doing a trial, I found it just easier to use my own system. Other products to me have seemed clunky, confusing, or outdated. As my practice grows, however, keeping track of things on my own had really become too cumbersome. So thank goodness for Simple Practice, it came into my life at just the right moment! It is streamlined, intuitive, and user-friendly. Whenever I have encountered a question, there are quick and easy ways to get the question answered. The site includes a whole blog that has thoughtful answers, written in plain-language. Or if you have a question you can easily email and a person will get right back to you with an answer. I imagine you can also call, though I haven't needed to do that since everything has gone really smoothly! Here are the things I really like: -Clients like it. They like the text or email reminder messages and they like the fact that I can store their credit card info, so no more forgetting co-pays of having to fumble with the wallet or the credit card reader. I just bill all my co-pays at the end of the day, and I'm all set. It's also saved time and money by not having to chase people for missed co-pays. -Easy to enter new patient info, or use the client portal so the patient's can self-enter basic data, and sign forms ahead of time -Helps me remember which notes are done or not -Keeps track of my schedule with the calendar feature that is synced up with the also super user-friendly Simple Practice app -I can scan in hand-written notes right into the patient's chart so everything is paperless I honestly can't think of any negatives or ways they could improve this product. I haven't started billing insurance companies via Simple Practice yet, so I can't speak to that process. It unfortunately takes awhile for Simple Practice to link with insurance, so if they could speed that up, it would be great, I'm just not sure there is much they can do about that since it's partially up to the insurance company. Other than that, I would summarize by saying that Simple Practice is saving me time, money and I feel much less stressed because I know everything is organized.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied December 2014

Wow! Thanks so much for that thorough and enthusiastic review!!!! We're so glad to have you as part of our community and are looking forward to being your partner for a long time. We're working hard to always improve SimplePractice and hope you let us know what we can do to make our product better and better. Thanks again, Howard

Alla from private practice

getting started

So far, so good. I just started in private practice and there's a lot to do and learn. When I couldn't figure something out, I was able to get instantaneous support via live chat and very quickly over email.

Pros

It's easy to play around and learn how the software works, you can always delete and start over, which is a helpful way of learning for me. I also found the mobile app very easy to use so I can do my session notes from anywhere very quickly.

Cons

If you update something billing related for a client from a session on the calendar, it doesn't apply to previous sessions, just the ones going forward.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

I found it a little easier to use and the layout more visually appealing/easier to get an organized picture in a glance

Response from SimplePractice

Replied July 2019

Alla, thanks for your positive review and helpful feedback. Welcome to SimplePractice - we're glad you chose us as your all-in-one practice management solution. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Melissa from ML Psychological Services PLLC

Great comprehensive software

Pros

I was looking for an EHR that condensed everything in terms of documentation, client paperwork/consents, initial assessments, payments and billing - this meets all of those needs in one place.

Cons

I would have liked there to be a more comprehensive tutorial that I was automatically enrolled in that showed me not only how to set it up for my own usage, but how to it works on the client end as well.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

I like that there are already templates for notes, intake forms, etc.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied June 2019

Melissa, thanks for your positive review. It's great that SimplePractice is all you need in one place. We appreciate your feedback, and are always working on making SimplePractice even easier to use. Thanks for trying out SimplePractice. - Gillian from SimplePractice

October 2014

Dani from Dani Myers, MSW, LICSW

October 2014

Simple Practice Simplified My Practice

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein I have used and tested a variety of EHRs and appreciate the simplicity of Simple Practice. There are no unnecessary frills and it serves its documentation and practice management purposes well. The user interface is clean, visually appealing, and easy to navigate. Features such as automated client appointment reminders, daily schedule emails, and reminders about incomplete documents and client balances are incredibly helpful...especially for a solo practitioner without costly administrative staff. The company appears to be highly responsive to user suggestions and regularly adds new features. The dashboard reports give me real time access to key business intelligence such as monthly income comparisons and projected income for the next month based on scheduled appointments. It's rare to find an EHR that offers all of these features at an affordable price. Clinicians and organizations usually end up cobbling together non-integrated solutions that just don't play well together in the end. Simple Practice simply works. Perhaps most importantly, the price is fair. There are no exorbitant setup fees. By purchasing a software as a service (SaaS) subscription, you're not paying for servers or clunky software that's outdated by the time you install it. You don't need an IT person to install, maintain, debug, or upgrade anything. If you change your mind, you're free to cancel your monthly subscription without incurring contract penalties. It is highly intuitive so you can skip the usual wordy product documentation, confusing webinars, or expensive onsite trainings. The trial period is more than adequate to become familiar and determine if it's right for you. If you are looking for a highly customizable system, this is not likely the best solution for you. With ongoing development, this might become less of an issue. You are currently limited to pre-defined templates and forms. In our heavily litigious landscape, we tend to go overboard on documentation or end up collecting data because we can. In some ways, I think Simple Practice is saving us from ourselves by keeping it "as simple as possible, but not simpler." If you're in the market for a web-based EHR that's accessible from anywhere, affordable, and easy to use, I recommend exploring Simple Practice.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied October 2014

Wow! Thanks for the amazing review Dani. We are so happy to know that our product is so helpful to you. We are working hard to keep improving SimplePractice and hope you will let us know if you have any ideas or suggestions for us. Thanks again, Howard

Pamala from Changing Minds Mental Health Services LLC

My Simple Practice Review

My experience is mixed (but I realize change can be challenging, so I am hopeful that once I have practiced and become functional with Simple Practice, my experience will become more positive. I do wish there was "live" help.

Pros

I can edit/use my own forms (intake or progress notes), the Wiley treatment planner for use (and free) and they do not charge for reminders. The Client Portal is very functional (can send documents etc) and I appreciate the client messaging capability, and the time I will save when I get a new client, by SP automatically sending the intake form, consent forms etc.

Cons

I do not like that customer service is not live, or offer "chat." While once I am up and running, I will probably not need any help, but I am currently having to wait to obtain an answer to a VERY IMPORTANT question...i.e. "how do I upload my completed switch template since I had deleted the Johnny Appleseed client before I realized how vital that profile was to my getting started! That is very frustrating. I find that on some forms, I have to manually enter information where a drop down window would suffice. I find that the calendar is a little bit too basic (while this may just be beginner unfamiliarity) compared to Therapy Notes, making an appt in SP is a bit more clunky. I wish that while creating a new form, there was a way to "save" and "edit" a form at a later time. I wish I could use Square instead of Stripe for credit/debit card services (less expensive) While SP has a question/answer customer support, it seems very rarely do my questions have answers to them, which is very frustrating.

Response from SimplePractice

Replied June 2019

Pamala, thanks so much for your review. We're glad you chose SimplePractice. We do have a live support feature - you can chat with a Product or Insurance Specialist from 7am to 6pm M-F. Let me know if you have any additional questions about this, or anything else SimplePractice. I'm here to help. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Displaying 1 - 50 of 2,406 reviews