• Pros

• "I love that I don't ever have to worry about saving receipts & it has taught me to even be more organized! "

• "Bench is an amazing product that is in the cloud. I love that i can access my books from anywhere on the go and get a snapshot of how the company is doing week to week. "

• "I love the ease of use. The portal is easy to get around in and I always have someone to answer my questions. "

• Cons

• "It's a little expensive for a one-person office, so I wish there were more tiers in pricing. But I like the product and will continue to use it, and understand that it costs money for a good product."

• "I would like to have a little more interaction as to tax planning. I understand that it doesnt necessarily fall under bookkeeping. But I would like to be able to have some sort of review. "

• "The mobile app could be better, but I use the website to upload docs anyway."

Browse Bench Reviews

Samantha from DC Metro Maternity

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Huge help for an entrepreneur

Pros

Bench was critical in helping me with catch up books for tax time. Being able to upload reports easily from my bank and various credit card processors made things so much easier, and the bookkeepers learned quickly how to categorize the transactions. I'm not sure when I would have caught up on my historical books without Bench. Going forward from there has been very easy as well. I've been able to link the reports to my card processing software and bank, and get updates as they have questions. So simple! I find the monthly reports easy to understand and its given me a much clearer picture of my numbers.

Cons

The only challenging initial integration was with Paypal- myself and the Bench team member had a hard time linking everything. We resolved it and I didn't have that issue with other accounts. I do wish that this software integrated with my invoicing system, so I could easily see where the profits were coming from. However, I use that system's reports to get a good idea of what's bringing in income.

Reasons for Choosing Bench

The bookkeeping support was well worth the extra expense.

Reasons for Switching to Bench

I wanted more assistance with bookkeeping. I'd attempted to use Quickbooks on my own with no success.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied December 2020

Hi Samantha, Thank you so much for taking the time to share this review! We're happy to hear that we were able to help get your bookkeeping up to date. We're excited to keep providing a simple and easy bookkeeping experience moving forwards!

Dez from CubedHost, LLC

Clean

Our overall experience has been that Bench is personable, intuitative, and user-friendly.

Pros

What we like most about Bench is their level of customer service. From setup to now, the team has been here with us and is extremely easy to reach out to. Beyond this, the interface is very clean, quick to load.

Cons

There are some accounts that can't be automated, but we understand this. That aside, we would like to see Bench expand and offer more all-in-one service beyond book-keeping and tax returns or make any partners more accessible (virtual CFO, CPAs would be great).

Reasons for Choosing Bench

We considered several products, most of which I can't seem to find in the product selector on Capterra but I don't see that to be too relevant here. The point would be that we selected Bench mainly because our largest need was for a bookkeeping solution from a company with both a quality product and quality service, able to offer a demo of sorts, and flexibility. Bench.co offered us all of this.

Reasons for Switching to Bench

We switched away from QuickBooks mainly to give our bookkeeper an out, though we were also looking for a tool that offered easier access and further automation/connection to other tools we use in our operations.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied November 2020

Hi Dez! Thank you so much for your kind review. We also appreciate the feedback! Wishing you all the best.

Nick from Standard Studios

Only Do What Only You Can Do

Pleasant interactions with all personnel I’ve spoken with over the phone or via email. Onboarding was easy and comprehensive. The financials dashboard -+ the app is well designed and easy to access.

Pros

Offloading expense tracking was a massive weight off of my shoulders. I now have more time to lead my small team and know that my accounting is in good hands - if there is ever a question or discrepancy they reach out immediately.

Cons

Honestly the price. I wish it were significantly cheaper. Much of the expense tracking is already done through freshbooks, other financial input apps have APIs for the Bench team to use as well - so I don’t think the limited personal interactions (which is not a detriment-the less I can talk to accountants the better) warrants the steep price tag.

Reasons for Choosing Bench

Deeper analytics and reconciliation of accounts

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied February 2021

Thank you so much for sharing, Nick! We're thrilled to hear that we have been able to help take a massive weight off of your shoulders!

Marie from Fearless and Framed

Industry: Photography

Bench dropped the ball & gave me a partial refund.

I tested Bench out at the end of 2019 and then hired them for my entire 2020 books. In the beginning, they were on top of things. Then, mid-summer they dropped the ball. My account got passed to another team, and they didn't even touch my books for months. It was a mess. I reached out to customer service and they did give me 2 months of a refund, because the customer service rep (who was very kind & courteous) saw what I saw. In December, I requested for my bookkeeper to fix some miscategorized transactions and later asked, "Hey were those fixed?" She said she fixed them, which was a blatant lie! On top of all of that, it took them about TWO MONTHS to do my final end of year books that I could pass onto my CPA. I was told they were uploaded, but then they weren't there when I looked for them. I had to request, "Please upload them again." They apologized and did so right away, but by the time I saw them, thank goodness for the COVID extension, because I literally didn't have my deliverables from Bench until April 2020. My filings would have been late.

Pros

Bench is easy to use and navigate. In the beginning, they were fantastic at answering questions I had to help understand how my bookkeeping was being handled. That's about the only good thing I have to say.

Cons

I spent more time dealing with Bench all year long than when I was doing my own bookkeeping on a simple spreadsheet. I expected a learning curve in the beginning. They promised it would get easier "as we learn about your business and transactions," but I found month after month that the same transactions got flagged needing my input. Then, when I did thorough checks on my books, I found several transactions not in the right category. The other thing I didn't like was that my bank constantly needed to be reconnected. I truly felt like I spent more time handling Bench than I would've spend just doing my own bookkeeping.

Reasons for Choosing Bench

I chose Bench, because I was hearing good things about them from Ash Ambirge of the Middle Finger Project whom I adore & trust. I liked the idea of a real person on my books, not software I had to manage.

Reasons for Switching to Bench

I thought having a real person handle my bookkeeping would be faster than doing it myself.

Jonathan from Barbernova

Excellent Book Keeping Software For Running Your Business

Understanding the financial health of our business has been critical in making decisions both long and short term. Bench helped free up the minimal time that we as business owners have and spend more of that time focusing on our business, which has been very helpful.

Pros

It was great to see a breakdown of all three financial statements for our business, both from a macro and micro perspective. Being able to pull up accounts and see specific transactions from desktop and on the go through mobile was indispensable in running a healthy business and planning for the future. The messaging system was prompt and efficient for keeping in touch with our book keepers and account manager with any pressing questions. They were always very professional and did high quality work. Any questions or concerns with categorization and interpreting information were answered well.

Cons

I think it would be helpful to expand the software to allow for the dropping of all receipts into our account in order to have a one stop location for accessing and printing receipts for accounting and tax purposes. We were informed that only high ticket items needed receipts, and so we ended up using other third party software to track mileage and keep track of receipts.

Reasons for Choosing Bench

Recommendations from online users, Youtubers, and a good first hand experience from the beginning while switching over to Bench.

Reasons for Switching to Bench

They were not able to provide adequate book keeping services, due to complicated books.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied September 2020

Hi, Jonathan. Thanks so much for sharing your kind review! We also appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We have shared this to the appropriate teams.

M. Brandon from Rice Bowl Media, LLC.

Extremely happy with my choice!

Overall, really great! They're super helpful. Most of the time they're quick to respond, but at times have needed to have an extra poke to get a response. That is a rarity. Usually, I'll hear back from someone by the next day at the latest.

Pros

Having all the data to see my business stats has been really helpful. They call it the "Pulse" which shows you the health of your business with a way to visualize how you're doing over time. I like that a lot. Bookkeeping is really easy for me now and I'm thankful I outsourced it. I just connect my accounts and drag and drop invoices and receipts that I scan or receive into the documents section and they take care of things. They also provide a nice, clean, easy to understand summary at the end of each year so my accountant can do my taxes easily. I have no regrets going with Bench. It definitely saves me a lot of time and stress.

Cons

I wish there are some nice comparable summaries like percentage growth or changes month to month, by quarter, and YoY. Prices still feel a little high to me and I wish there was an option for invoicing and receiving payments into my checking accounts.

Reasons for Choosing Bench

A good blend between what I need the most, pricing, and peer reviews.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied August 2020

Thank you so much for your kind words! It's great to hear that we have been able to take away some stress. We've also shared your feedback with the appropriate parties for further consideration!

Heidi from Drygas Group LLC

Industry: Law Practice

Great product, worth the cost for peace of mind

Pros

I like that it's easy to use, comes in a user-friendly format, and simplifies accounting for me. It's dummy-proof! I'm mostly looking forward to an easier tax season with this software.

Reasons for Switching to Bench

FreshBooks was proving difficult and not as user-friendly as it was billed. There were some features I struggled with (separating sales tax was one of them- I couldn't figure it out and neither could they), and itemizing all my expenses/income for someone with zero background in accounting was really becoming a drag. I think to use the software correctly, you need to take a class in accounting or have some basic skills at the ready. I was overwhelmed. And I have a law degree!

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied August 2020

Hi Heidi! Thanks so much for the kind words. If you ever feel that your average monthly expenses have decreased, we can always conduct a pricing review to see if you fall into another pricing tier. All the best!

Rahul from LILAS Wellness

Easy to use, great customer service

Pros

This was super easy to set up and describe exactly what I was using it for. other providers took ages to figure out how to integrate my Amazon sales but Bench just got it!

Cons

The pricing was a bit on the higher side especially the catch up accounting that ended up being a large lumpsum in my case!

Better Bookkeeping support and ease of integration with Amazon

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied February 2021

Thank you so much for sharing, Rahul!

Ashley from The Herrintons

Industry: Photography

I wish we would have invested in this sooner!

I LOVE it so much!! I wish we would have started using this from the start with our business.

Pros

Bench has changed our business for the better! Having all of our books from month to month in one place is GAME changing! My favorite part is the real time look at the health of our business because our books are now done monthly. I can be confident that we'll never be behind! Which helps us make better business decisions!

Cons

When I was first new to Bench and terms like "balance sheet" and "profit and loss" I wished there was a hover by where you click on them at the top that gave a quick description of what each meant.

Reasons for Switching to Bench

I hated Quickbooks. The interface was terrible. I could never find anything.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied August 2020

We're thrilled to hear this, Ashley! We've passed your glowing words to your bookkeeping team, who will be equally as thrilled.

Paul from Paradigm Mental Health and Wellness

Industry: Mental Health Care

Affordable yet Robust Bookkeeping

I have been satisfied with Bench, and it takes a lot off my mind.

Pros

The staff at Bench are responsive and helpful. The software is user-friendly. The price is less than most of its competitors.

Cons

The bank integration does not always function right with the credit union I use.

Reasons for Choosing Bench

Price and ease of use. Plus it integrates with Gusto.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied November 2020

So glad to hear we've been able to take some stress off your plate, Paul! Thank you for being with us!

Emily from Heights Digital

One less thing off of my plate...

I am saving myself hours and hours of handling the bookkeeping. I am confident that it is done correctly and I am not missing anything. I like having someone to ask bookkeeping questions to if need be.

Pros

I was hesitant to start Bench because I thought I could handle the bookkeeping for our business on my own. Managing money has always been a strength for me. However, as my company grows I find that I need to keep delegating and removing things off of my plate. At the same time as a business owner I like to keep as much cash inside the company as possible. I finally gave the free trial a chance and it has been the BIGGEST weight off of me. I know that my bookkeeping is totally taken care of and done professionally. The stress of organizing everything for taxes is lifted off, and I know that I always have someone working on it everyday on my behalf. Anytime I have questions I get an immediate response along with very valuable advice. I am a Bench customer for life!

Cons

I don't like that it keeps disconnecting to my bank account. We've had a few technical issues with that. It can be very time consuming and frustrating especially since I am extremely busy already. I also have to confirm purchases from months prior and that can take a long time! When I confirm those purchases it is usually 30+ transactions and at that point I don't even remember all of them so it takes a while for me to locate receipts. I really dislike that too. I wish it were less expensive for us a small business owner as well.

Reasons for Choosing Bench

The free trial. I didn't even look into other companies. I happen to come across an ad for Bench and I wanted to do the free trial. When I saw how much it took off of my plate I was in.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied November 2020

Hi Emily! We're thrilled to hear that we have been able to take one more thing off your plate. We have also shared your feedback with your team! A member of our Client Success team would also love to connect with you regarding your pain points. We will be reaching out via email shortly!

Makes My Life as a Small Business Owner So Much Easier

I started my graphic design studio in 2005 managing our books through a part-time bookkeeper who'd come in 1-2x a month and we'd then communicate a few times every week.. This system got us through the first 8 years of our business. Though functional, it was a time-consuming process. We used Quickbooks at the time, and I could never get comfortable using it to manage or understand our business's numbers even though our bookkeeper was serving it on a silver platter essentially. I've always felt Quickbooks was made for accountants, not business owners or individuals. Once can argue, it's supposed to be "accounting made easy", but it's really designed with accounting in mind — not business owners. As a business owner I wanted to quickly understand cashflow and profitability. Whereas Quickbooks seemed to that and much more, it seemed like I was doing my taxes every time I went in there. So I started looking for options and that's when I found Bench. And Bench, even back then, had already provided a service ideal for a small business owner like me. I've been using Bench since 2013 now, and I can't imagine running my business without them. It's allowed me to focus on my clients and design work which are revenue generating tasks, instead of accounting which was an anxiety-generating task.

Pros

1) Uncomplicated Interface — For a non-numbers/non-accounting comfortable individual it's great. It provides me access and understanding to our accounting in a very digestible yet informative manner. 2) Accessible Customer Service/Communications — All the interactions I've had have been professional, courteous, and problem solving driven. It's never "No". Instead if a challenge arises, they've always been proactive in finding a way to address the challenge or question providing options. It's also especially great that you can speak with them or chat with them with no barriers. At first I was very concerned about this since our books are the heartbeat of our financials, and i was quickly at ease after the first few calls and chats. 3) Easy — Once our accounts were synced and Bench had a clear picture of how our business worked, it's set-it-and-forget-it. What used to required a few hours every week for me now has become an hour or two a month. 4) Transaction Verification Made Easy — I especially love how they've simplified this process to almost a game.

Cons

1) Cash based bookkeeping. This was a struggle in the beginning since we were accrual based initially. However upon working with them and our CPA, we've managed to stay accrual based and set up a system where we do adjusted entries after filing taxes. 2) Not Quickbooks. This is not really a con, but should make it clear that if you prefer to stay on Quickbooks, this is not the service for you. They will provide your books as spreadsheets for your CPA to work with. At first I was nervous about this, but it hasn't been an issue. 3) Turnover with bookkeepers — Over the years, we've had I believe 5 different bookkeepers over the course of 6 years due to turnover or what seems to be internal promotions. It has not negatively impacted our service, but I do wish it was less frequent since at times I'd have to remind the new person some of the subtleties of our account.

Albert from Clerksy, Inc.

Exceptional Services for Small Businesses

Bench executives should develop the bookkeeping platform further to include items that allow the end user to have a total experience. I understand that the goal is to lead bookkeeping into full tech. However, I feel that users want some form of one-on-one service where they are able to meet and greet their bookkeeping expert. What I have experienced with Bench thus far are a series of glitches when adding accounts, not being able to delete accounts, and occasionally having to repeat myself when discussing issues with numerous customer support staff members that are not apart of my bookkeeping team. I feel that by establishing a video conferencing feature to the dashboard, it would be a brilliant opportunity for us, end users, to get to know their experts and to limit any inconsistencies while providing a more personal experience.

Pros

Bench has done a great job of placing most items one would require into a dashboard that makes the bookkeeping experience simple. Customer service at Bench is by far the best in the market! Staff at the company truly believe in the product and provide the end user with an exceptional experience each and every call.

Cons

Platform errors and the lack of additional features.

Chris from Call Loop

Love Bench!

Bench is the easiest way to manage our books online. It's been a huge time and money saver over the last few years.

Pros

I've been using Bench for years now and it's so simple to see and manage my books. When something isn't categorized correctly, I add a comment and it's moved over to the right one. It's been great and easy to use.

Cons

The monthly income statements are behind often. I have to ask to get them on time. I wish it integrated with Quickbooks as my CPA can easily manipulate the data for reports.

Reasons for Choosing Bench

I didn't want to do the work!

Reasons for Switching to Bench

The accountant was slow and took forever to make small updates.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied November 2020

Thanks, Chris! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and feedback. We've passed your comments to your team as well! Wishing you all the best.

Chris from Swift Galleries LLC

Outsourcing to Bench was a Gamechanger

As a small business we're constantly prioritizing big time spends and deciding what's worth us outsourcing and spending money on rather than time. Bench was one that, as soon as we were set up and going with them, we've never looked back. It is not cheap. But it's worth it for us, no question about it!

Pros

We've been using Bench for a few years now and absolutely love it. It can be basically as hand's off as you want. We get an email once a month when they're working on our books, sometimes an extra contact here and there if they provide other documentation throughout the year. And we have our CPA and Bench people in touch with each other which is even more off our plate. As small business owners, bookkeeping used to take a ton of our time, and now it's a breeze. And logging into our account we can look around at where our money is going with a quick glance

Cons

I admit we haven't done a ton of digging around in the actual software - our typical use is them contacting us with any categorization questions once a month (and after a couple years there are hardly ever any). I do wish (or can not find how) we could see how much money we're paying/spending on a particular item. So, say, I want to see how much we're spending on just Facebook ads. What I can do is search for "facebook" (and I can specifically search within whatever time period I want, like Q4 2018 or January 2017), but it won't automatically give me a sum of all of those expenses. I CAN see a summary of expenses by category, but by "line item" (like "Facebook" or "AWS") would be even more helpful.

Brent from SmartPro Financial

A great value of service for taking care of bookkeeping

Great experience and helpful service. Awesome value since an in-person CPA would be double the cost. Bench was especially around tax time when it comes to working with me to get my numbers buttoned up.

Pros

The iOS app is simple and easy to use. I appreciate the quick access to messaging back and forth with my bookkeeper, making notes about transactions, and they referred me to Gusto for an integrated payroll service

Cons

Some of the features like their Pulse tab of real time bank account syncing and electronic PDF statement syncing are glitchy.

Reasons for Switching to Bench

QuickBooks required too much of my time and wasn’t learning transactions properly. Too many errors made for extra work on my part. Decided to make the jump since my business had grown and it was becoming more burdensome to keep up with after having kids to manage.

Byron from Moore Law Firm, PLLC

Bench is great

My accounting was solved using bench, literally it's set it and forget it, these guys are top notch and make your life easy.

Pros

Incredibly supportive staff, intuitive friendly user-interface, provided year end tax portfolio that I could easily give to my CPA. Bench is just fantastic, I can't say enough good things about the way they have handled my accounts for the past 3 years, highly recommend. If you're a professional, this is for you.

Cons

The only con here is that I didn't switch sooner.

Reasons for Switching to Bench

I was ready to enjoy my practice and not deal with my books.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied February 2020

Thank you so much Byron for your kind words! We are so happy to be working with you.

Destiny from A House Called Hue

Industry: Wholesale

Ease of Use and Best Investment Ever

My overall experience is great. this is my second time using them. I had to leave the first time while switching my business format but it’s worth the investment knowing that my books are in order in I can easily track my growth and readjust expenses.

Pros

The best thing about the software is hands off. In comparison to other software you have to not only implement the software you have to hire someone to upkeep it/reconcile it every month, whereas this is all in one pricing.

Cons

The software may be a little confusing at first but with the customer service they help you navigate how to use the key features. I do wish there was a easier way to download a simple profit and loss and there are some other things that they may not be able to do that you need a CPA for but you at least have all your information in order for the CPA.

All in one pricing

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied September 2020

So glad we are able to work with you again, Destiny. Thank you for sharing your experience! All the best.

Tony from SwipeSuite LLC

Industry: Executive Office

Best Bookkeeper there is!

Bench always delivers above and beyond and i love their service.

Pros

Cons

There are no cons at this point. I wish they started an accounting arm that tied to bench since their product is so awesome!

Reasons for Choosing Bench

They were the cleanest of online bookkeeping companies.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied September 2020

Hi Tony! Thanks so much for the lovely words! We have a network of CPA's that we can refer to our clients. They are trained on our platform, and work really well with our service! If you're interested, let your bookkeeping team know, and they can guide you with next steps. All the best!

Joshua from Shadetree Gardens

Bench is Amazing

Bench is amazing. As a small business owner I was spending too much time categorizing expenses and correctly documenting items for the P&L or balance statement. Bench offers such an amazing service and any time I had a question or issue my Bench specialist was right there. I would highly recommend Bench to anyone who needs bookkeeping services (and their tax team is amazing as well). Couple all of that with their service team's (big shout out to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]) genuine care for you and your company and you have kind of a no brainer.

Pros

The platform is intuitive and easy to use. You speak directly with the individual managing your account, which is nice for continuity. Any discrepancies are easily adjusted or annotated. It exports to multiple file types for integration with other platforms. It links with your accounts so you don't have to manually input everything. AND THEIR TEAM ACTUALLY CARES ABOUT YOU, which is a breath of fresh air.

Cons

Sometimes there are functionality issues with linked accounts, but usually it is because of the security protocols of the bank or account.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied March 2021

Wow! Thank you so much, Joshua. We are absolutely thrilled to hear about your experience. We're excited to keep providing the support you need so you can continue to grow your business!

Jon from Gyros For Heroes

Industry: Restaurants

Bench Works!

Overall, I recommend bench to everyone. They do have their shortcomings, but in my experience it can be fixed by not giving so many clients to one person. My current bookkeeper is great and very prompt on delivering my books each month. I hope she sticks around. YMMV, but keep with it, bench is the best out there.

Pros

My QuickBooks was a mess. I had brought in duplicate transactions from syncing with square and I was going to need to manually adjust thousands of items. Then I found bench! The bookkeepers are relatively easy to get in touch with when you have an issue; you can book a call, chat, etc. Come tax time the year end summary they put together was amazing. It made filing taxes very easy.

Cons

The bookkeepers are spread very thin, and turnover is high. I've been with them a little over a year and I've had 3 different bookkeepers. I had to complain about one of them because he wasn't giving me a complete set of books each month. (They ended up giving a month free while they caught up my books.) It costs much much more than QuickBooks and doing it yourself, and you do have someone knowledgeable doing the work, but all than means nothing if your books are fragmented.

Jean from Que Factory

Best Web-based/Remote Bookkeeping Full-Services

Great experience, we've been with them for 2 years now and we will not switch to anything else!

Pros

Extremely professional bookkeepers, easy to use user interface and 100% hands-free. They even have auto-linked bank accounts to pull your bank statements so you don't have to manually send receipts and statements. You can view your dashboard anytime and see live updates on your balance sheet. My CPA loves their books as well.

Cons

Sometimes the connection might be off and I'll have to upload documents anyways, and they'll still need my input for returning vendors/suppliers.

Patricia from Brushstrokes and Corks, LLC

Excellent Solution for Tracking Business Expenses

Bench has set my mind at ease that all of my business costs and expenditures are being accounted for successfully and tracked.

Pros

Very easy to use . This product has been very useful for me to track all business expenses and have all of the required audits of my accounts while also producing annual earnings reports. Very professional.

Cons

It would be nice if the system was able to read the memos for checks written to determine the purpose for the expenditure rather than the business owner having to review each check and identify its purpose for the business.

Sunghoon from Pittsburgh Prep

convenient and accessible

With bench.co I've been able to see in real-time our financial statements without having to ruffle through paperwork or calling someone/visiting an office. I would highly recommend this service to any small business owner.

Pros

Bench.co has literally changed the way I operate my organization & school. Whereas in the past we'd have to wait, and work around local accountants who had 100's of clients in queue, Bench allows me the convenience and access to my virtual accountant 24/7 online and poignantly clear on all aspects of bookkeeping.

Cons

As with all software based services, sometimes Bench can lag in their monthly accounts at the beginning of the new year. This is a very minor inconvenience to the overall experience.

Good start, low customization

Overall, I still recommend Bench if you are starting out and a small business under $1 Million in sales. However, as you grow, I would recommend switching to Quickbooks.

Pros

Prior to Bench, we used Quickbooks, and it was lifesaver! We had no idea how to use Quickbooks for bookkeeping and Bench made it easy for us. There was low setup involved and their dashboard was amazing.

Cons

As our company grew, we needed more information in our financial statements. At the time, there was low customization with Bench, and we couldn't add or change things in regards to our Profit and Loss statement. Also, at the time, they only did cash based accounting.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied March 2021

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback. We are constantly looking to improve our service, and listening to your feedback is hugely important to us!

Susan from Simply Pure Home

Great bookkeeping company

Overall Bench has saved me time with preparing all bank reconciliations and year end tax preparation. It's also a stress relief that it's done thoroughly and properly. It's not just one person being accountable for my bookkeeping needs but the company stands behind it.

Pros

I like the ease of having my bookkeeping done on a timely basis and not having to think about it until I get a message to review the month. I can then easily go in and make notes of any changes to be made or answer their questions to me. The customer service is excellent as well. They integrate with my payroll company too which saves time.

Cons

They don't integrate with my Customer Management System and they don't use QuickBooks which I also use. I process invoices through my CMS which also provides my scheduling, customer profiles, employee payroll reports, etc. I would love it if Bench would integrate their system to it so I can better track invoices. Instead I have to do that through QuickBooks but am only using a small portion of what QB offers since Bench does my bank reconciliation and they don't use QB. So I'm still paying for QB for this part of what I need. I have a daily service company and I process client credit cards daily in addition to tracking some clients that still write checks and a few who pay via ACH. I do that within QB. At this point I'm not aware of a better way if I want to continue using Bench for bookkeeping.

Erik from Student Church Movements

Completely alleviated stress while reducing my bookkeeping costs

When I first heard about Bench, I was nervous about switching from a standard, old school accounting firm I'd worked with for many years. Within a week, my fears were dissipating. Three years later, my fears are completely gone. Bench completely meets my needs as a small business owner - while saving me time and money.

Pros

Bench is SIMPLE. The software provides me an accurate and easy to understand overview of my monthly and annual financials with easy-to- process visuals and graphs. The software integrates automatically with my bank and credit card, alleviating the back and forth calls and emails I used to labor through with my former "brick and mortar" accountants. When I have a question, the Bench team is always available and quick to respond.

Cons

Nada! No complaints here! I have not experienced a single problem with the Bench software

Heather from Independence barbershop

Second time using bench

First time around was good. This time around I’m not too pleased with the person assigned to my account

Pros

It’s easy to set up and use, semi affordable

Cons

I would like to see mileage tracking and the ability to move items to a category myself

Reasons for Choosing Bench

Seems they have more to offer at the same price- I chose bench because I was already familiar with it

Reasons for Switching to Bench

Too complex to handle myself and the QuickBooks live was terrible

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied September 2020

Hi Heather, thank you for sharing your experience with us. We regret to hear that you are having concerns with your experience. We would like to connect with you to discuss this matter further. A member of our Client Success team will be connecting with you shortly. All the best!

Missy from The Body Intuitive

Industry: Alternative Medicine

Takes the hassle work out of financial reporting

Overall Bench has helped me to track and monitor my business financials. Tax seasons has been a breeze the last two years with Bench - something a lot of freelancers struggle with.

Pros

- no need to use quickbooks - friendly and responsive staff when issues arise - individual bookkeeper assigned to your account - user interface is friendly and accessible - reporting features are solid - costs less than hiring your own bookkeeper - affordable rates which are advantageous for small businesses

Cons

- auto syncing does not connect w Capital One bak accounts which results oftentimes a 2-3 week lag in getting monthly reports back - only retrospective reporting; no prospective budgeting features (need to use separate software) - does not provide tax accounting services; only bookkeeping - cannot easily customize revenue subledgers without discussing w accountant - no categories of fixed/variable expenses - cannot upload documents via mobile devices

Pat from Lex Valorem, LLC

Industry: Law Practice

Ditched Quickbooks and saved a lot of time

I am spending a lot less time on bookkeeping and accounting.

Pros

Very easy implementation - love the human support on closing the books each month.

Cons

Not all of my business accounts can be connected via feed (ie intuit payroll), which requires a drag and drop upload each month.

Reasons for Choosing Bench

I found quickbooks to be frustrating and required far too many manual adjustments - and I never did completely understand the chart of accounts on QB. It was simply too complicated to use and I was exhausted trying to keep up with everything that I needed to do to get a good set of financials.

Derick from Metaltech inc

Industry: Furniture

A lifesaver

Overall I am more than pleased. I have no doubt that my books are being done correctly, which frees me up to deal with other things.

Reasons for Switching to Bench

It was very difficult to work with.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied December 2020

Hi Derick, we're thrilled to hear you can rely on our bookkeeping team to help answer questions that come up! We're also happy to hear that the online platform is easy to use so you can get the information you need quickly and spend those extra minutes on growing your business. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience!

The Back Pocket Tool That Solved My Bookkeeping Blindspot

Overall, I find Bench.co to be an accessible, easy-to-use, game-changing bookkeeping tool and resource for entrepreneurs & SMEs. The team is efficient, friendly, patient, and thorough (even when I had an adverse reaction to tackling my stuck-point when it comes to bookkeeping and I managed to even annoy myself I was treated kindly, a currency I don't take lightly, especially this year). I even got a goodie from a referral. It felt awesome to be rewarded!

Pros

We all know that transitioning from the "idea" stage of a side gig to a real independent consultancy can be tricky. Without the right mentorship or support for small businesses, many are under the impression they don't need a bookkeeper. If I had known then what I know now, it could have saved me thousands of dollars and time which is priceless to time-scarce bootstrappers with multiple streams of income. I also like that Bench.co works closely with FreshBooks so when I need help I hear from both teams when needed. It's not just the AI in software, it's the EQ and human relationships that make it all come together. Bench.com are definitely real humans which I loved!

Cons

A real struggle bootstrappers have is time. Therefore, it was a near emotional crisis to embrace I had to go into my documents like a surgeon to know every weird detail of each expense which is time-consuming as the names may slightly differ from the actual purchase.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied November 2020

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! We really appreciate it.

Daniel from American Mutt Technologies

AMT Bench Review

Bench allows us to accurately forecast our cashflow with ease.

Pros

Right from the beginning Bench made everything extremely easy. My bookeeping is now completely hands-off. Our bookkeeper is always very easy to reach if we have questions and learned our business practices extremely fast.

Cons

I wish I could combined the income statement and other reports to stretch over different years. For instance, if we could view December 2020 and January 2021 in one report instead of having to do the math that would be fantastic.

Reasons for Choosing Bench

Bench is much easier to use than quickbooks.

Christina from CGandolfo Pictures Inc.

Seamless Bookkeeping

My experience has been overall positive! My bookkeeper is there when I need him and always professional and friendly!

Pros

Simply put, Bench took a headache away and made managing my bookkeeping easy and seamless. It also encourages me to be more aware of receivables and expenses + I really appreciate that I can check my books at any time, day or night. The overall look of the site is clean and approachable, and the interface is simple.

Cons

A few times my bank accounts have come "unlinked" somehow and I've had to go back in and link them.

Reasons for Choosing Bench

The ease of viewing my books online with 24-hour access.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied August 2019

Hi Christina! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us! We've passed this along to your bookkeeping team, and I know they will be thrilled to hear this!

Patrick from CareLuLu

Awesome tool, great customer service, and affordable!

Pros

What I love the most is the customer service. Despite this being a "bookkeeping software/tool", you get a dedicated accountant. Executives are so responsive. Every time I have a question, I get a response that same day. The platform is also easy to use, and the interface makes it really easy to upload documents, download reports, etc. Really recommend!

Cons

One small issue is the capabilities. If you have highly complex bookkeeping needs (a unique situation or business model), this may not work for you. This doesn't matter for 99% of businesses.

Response from Bench

Replied April 2018

Hi Patrick - This is so lovely to hear! We're so glad we've been able to help take bookkeeping off of your plate. I've passed this on to Michael and your team, and you've made their day. - SP

Lizardo from Coach Miguel LLC

AMAZING SOFTWARE & CUSTOMER SERVICE

I'd definitely recommend this software to all my friends. Easy to use and great customer service. They get the job done. Great investment.

Pros

How easy it is to use the software. It shows you all the financial details of your business.

Cons

I'm really happy with everything they've done so far.

Reasons for Choosing Bench

Better quality and customer service.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied December 2020

Thank you so much Lizardo! Our engineering team will be so happy to hear you're loving the software and we're glad we can provide you quick access to important information you need. We love working with you and your business, and look forward to what the future has in store.

Kirk from Smiles Family Dental Care

It's like having a personal bookkeeper at a much lower cost.

We save a considerable amount of money over brick-and-mortar services and save a huge amount of time by not trying to do this ourselves with Quick Books or similar software.

Pros

Value. They provide services like a personal bookkeeping company. Very helpful and quick response.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. We've been very happy with it.

Jay from NJ Swingsets

Industry: Recreational Facilities and Services

Life Saver

nothing short of great.

Pros

The Bench team was there every step to explain what the software did, how to use it and what they need from me. I am super busy so I needed hand holding and that's exactly what the bench team did.

Cons

I had to do some of the integrations manually, such as sending over bank statements, but I would to have had to do this with a regular bookeeper anyway.

more comprehensive

Bench is more comprehensive

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied August 2020

Hi Jay! Thanks for the glowing review. Thanks for being with us!

Jocelyn from Umlaut Brooklyn

Bench Makes Running a Small Company a Breeze!

Bench has made accounting for our small business so simple. I struggled with other software that had clunky user interfaces (Quickbooks) and a steep learning curve, I needed something that could ensure that my business accounting would be accurate and up to date without it eating all of my time. Our Bench bookkeepers have all been wonderful - they're fast to respond, give good information and work really well with our accountant. Taxes were a breeze this year after a full year with Bench! I have recommend them to other small business owners and urge you to try them out. You'll wonder what you ever did without them.

Pros

Bench makes work simple. The interface is very user friendly and instinctive, reports are clear and accurate. Our accountant can log in easily and the customer service is stellar.

Cons

There is literally nothing I don't like about Bench.

Must Have for Small Business Owner

What I love is that I don't have to enter a thing! Doing the books was not only frustrating, but also time consuming. Having Bench on my side means I can focus on building and growing my business, knowing that the data that drives my decisions is solid!

Pros

Bench isn't a software. It's a team of people USING a dedicated software platform to help you manage your books. This has made all the difference for me in my business. Other accounting programs didn't teach me how to manage my books or read my monthly reports. My dedicated Bench bookkeeper answers my questions, provides me resources and is a partner in helping me understand my business finances to make better decisions. If you are a small business owner who is great with customers, but bad with books...this is your solution. Stop trying to figure it all out yourself. Call Bench and get a dedicated human to help you out! You won't be disappointed!

Cons

After being on such robust software platform, I miss some of the bells and whistles those packages came with. But, Bench doesn't need all that. It's intuitive and focuses on the financial reports you need to make the best decisions for your business. You may have to look outside the platform to track some of your KPI's.

Brenda from Brenda Cornett

Industry: Biotechnology

Bench is making my life easier!

Pros

This is the easiest bookkeeping software I've ever come across. I've been a freelance art director for many years, and have used Quickbooks, Less Accounting, and Freshbooks. With each of those, I was reminded that I'm not a bookkeeper and usually ended up messing up my books somehow. In contrast, the Bench interface is really straight forward and simple to understand, it is easy to use, and the team is really responsive. The absolute best part is having a team of bookkeepers who know what they're doing, who take care of it all for me! They reach out if there are questions, and I can check in anytime I like. I now have confidence that my books are correct, and I have more time to focus on my business.

Cons

So far, I've found no cons to using Bench. I only wish I would have done it sooner!

Reasons for Choosing Bench

I ultimately chose Bench over a local bookkeeping service because of the online access to my books that Bench provides. It is a blend of the best of both worlds — I get personalized bookkeeping service, but I can still go online at any time and review, run reports, make adjustments or ask questions.

Reasons for Switching to Bench

I am so busy with work that it was often hard to find time to go in and do bookkeeping at the end of the week. I'd often put it off and then get behind. And when a mistake was made, it was hard to correct because I'd just get lost.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied September 2020

Better late than never, Brenda! We're so thrilled to hear that we are able to support you and your business. Thanks for sharing!

Ali from MeCBD

Love the ease of use!

Pros

After months of frustration with our old software, we switched to Bench and have been so happy. It is easy to use, painless, and so convenient.

Cons

So far I am completely happy, no cons yet!

Reasons for Switching to Bench

Hard to use, terrible customer support.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied January 2021

Hi Ali, we're thrilled to hear we could make the process seamless and that it's easy to use. We love working with you and are excited to see what comes next for you and your business!

No more all-nighters at tax time! Easy to use, great support team, no more headaches.

Pros

The interface is clean and easy. Submitting expenses is easy and in most cases automated. My team, led by customer rep, is very responsive.

Cons

The only thing and I'm splitting hairs is that for more detailed ecommerce analytics, I need to either go to my ecommerce platform and/or pull other data for company performance. It would be helpful to be in one place. But that's a tall order for the great Bench price.

Response from Bench

Replied October 2017

Thank you for the review! We're excited to hear your books are no longer keeping you up at night. I've passed along your feedback regarding ecommerce analytics to our development team as well. - SP

Danny from Self employed

Game Changer!

Pros

Cons

Honestly I don't have any negatives on this.

Amy from Lilac Center

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Clear accounting

Excellent service, grateful

Pros

The accounting team took our records for the past three years and was able to give us clear understanding of the numbers to move forward with confidence.

Cons

Overall experience has been excellent, even when I am overwhelmed with the numbers, the professionalism of the staff is calming and clear.

Price

Needed hands on help

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied November 2020

Thanks, Amy!

Sonya from Beetroot Market & Deli

Has improved and simplified accounting for my business

I switched from a more traditional bookkeeping service to Bench, and couldn’t be happier. Bench is more affordable, easier to use (no more driving cross town to drop off stacks of invoices), with significantly improved reports that are clear and comprehensive. I have such a better grasp on our financials, and I love the interface. I would recommend this to anyone.

Pros

I love the ease and overall design of the software, and being able to switch between viewing the entire year, and each month. It helps me understand my financials in one glance, all in one place. It makes P&L reports infinitely more comprehensible, and they’re always completed promptly.

Cons

I have almost no complaints. My issues have been with smaller banks making it difficult to link accounts to Bench, but this is less about Bench, and more about the banks’ software.

Reasons for Switching to Bench

I wasn’t happy with the structure of my previous P&L’s, the cost of the service, as well as the lack availability and knowledge of the folks preparing my reports. Now, I can easily ask the Bench team any questions, and everything is completed in a timely up-to-date manner.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied September 2020

Wow! Thanks, Sonya for sharing this glowing review. We're thrilled to be working with you!

Ashley from ashleynicoleco

Industry: Motion Pictures and Film

Bench allowed me to go back to focusing on running my business

Pros

The support team is really helpful and are quick to respond. They’ve allowed me to focus on running a business and no longer have to focus on the accounting portions of my business.

Cons

The only thing I don’t like is the bank integrations. They don’t have all the banks or even if tech companies like cash app or venmo.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied September 2020

Thanks, Ashley for sharing!

Adam from AB Brown Real Estate Inc

Bench is the best option for all your bookkeeping needs

Pros

1. Easy to use 2. Does not take too much time 3. Affordable

Cons

There are no cons. I love this product and all that if offers.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied August 2019

Hi Adam! Thanks for sharing this positive feedbackwe're over the moon hearing this! We can't wait to pass this on to your bookkeeping teamthey're going to be super excited. Thanks for being with us!

Jonathan from House Of JRob

Industry: Music

I Love Bench

My experience has been super easy and smooth. I love it.

Pros

I love the fact I can do my work and not worry about keeping track of all purchases and so forth.

Cons

I wish it had a feature to keep track of my estimated taxes.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied November 2020

Thank you for the kind words, Jonathan! We've also passed along your feedback regarding a feature to keep track of your estimated taxes. In the meantime, you may find this estimated quarterly tax calculator helpful: https://bench.co/blog/resources/quarterly-tax-calculator/.

JAKE from WHITESTONE DCI

Bench Freed Me Up

Great service from your team. The interface is easy to navigate and read.

Pros

You read a lot of these same reviews, "Bench took me out of spreadsheets and saved me hours a month." It's because it's true. As a founder, the more I can delegate, the better chance at success moving forward I have. With Bench, I've unplugged the accounting from my daily / weekly / and let the pros do their thing. I have been able to focus on other parts of the business and that is invaluable.

Cons

I honestly don't have complaints about the software. I enjoy it and recommend it, it's made my life easier.

Reasons for Choosing Bench

Bench does more of the work for me. I don't want to learn a new software to continue to do my own accounting.

Response from Bench Accounting

Replied November 2020

Thank you so much, Jake! We are thrilled to hear this!