All Bench Reviews

Erik

2 - 10 employees

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed August 2022

Completely alleviated stress while reducing my bookkeeping costs

Telecommunications, 11-50 employees

Reviewed October 2020

Love Bench!

Bench is the easiest way to manage our books online. It's been a huge time and money saver over the last few years.

PROS

I've been using Bench for years now and it's so simple to see and manage my books. When something isn't categorized correctly, I add a comment and it's moved over to the right one. It's been great and easy to use.

CONS

The monthly income statements are behind often. I have to ask to get them on time. I wish it integrated with Quickbooks as my CPA can easily manipulate the data for reports.

Reason for choosing Bench

I didn't want to do the work!

Reasons for switching to Bench

The accountant was slow and took forever to make small updates.

Thanks, Chris! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and feedback. We've passed your comments to your team as well! Wishing you all the best.

Replied November 2020

Jonathan

Retail, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2020

Excellent Book Keeping Software For Running Your Business

Understanding the financial health of our business has been critical in making decisions both long and short term. Bench helped free up the minimal time that we as business owners have and spend more of that time focusing on our business, which has been very helpful.

PROS

It was great to see a breakdown of all three financial statements for our business, both from a macro and micro perspective. Being able to pull up accounts and see specific transactions from desktop and on the go through mobile was indispensable in running a healthy business and planning for the future. The messaging system was prompt and efficient for keeping in touch with our book keepers and account manager with any pressing questions. They were always very professional and did high quality work. Any questions or concerns with categorization and interpreting information were answered well.

CONS

I think it would be helpful to expand the software to allow for the dropping of all receipts into our account in order to have a one stop location for accessing and printing receipts for accounting and tax purposes. We were informed that only high ticket items needed receipts, and so we ended up using other third party software to track mileage and keep track of receipts.

Reason for choosing Bench

Recommendations from online users, Youtubers, and a good first hand experience from the beginning while switching over to Bench.

Reasons for switching to Bench

They were not able to provide adequate book keeping services, due to complicated books.

Hi, Jonathan. Thanks so much for sharing your kind review! We also appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We have shared this to the appropriate teams.

Replied September 2020

Bruno

Entertainment, 1 employee

Reviewed May 2024

Total disaster of company

I am a bit puzzled on how there are so many 5 star reviews. My experience has been a total disaster. Stay away, just Google for "Bench reviews Reddit" and you will find the real users experience.

PROS

Excellent service to receive an extra dose of stress.

CONS

They have changed my bookkeeper 4 times in a single year; they made repeated mistakes after mistakes on my books, nothing was personalized, all they do is to set the system to classify the transactions; 2 different 'tax experts' that gave me wrong information; books are NEVER completed on time, they are constantly late by several months; about filing taxes: they will file for an extension regardless of whether your books are done or not.. without even consulting with you; messages and emails are never replied to, you have to call every time and nothing gets resolved;

Pierpaolo

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2024

Handling Accounting Professionally With Bench

PROS

Using Bench is very useful when it comes to accounting. It is affordable and well equipped

CONS

It handles very well and no issues with at all.

M. Brandon

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Reviewed June 2020

Extremely happy with my choice!

Overall, really great! They're super helpful. Most of the time they're quick to respond, but at times have needed to have an extra poke to get a response. That is a rarity. Usually, I'll hear back from someone by the next day at the latest.

PROS

Having all the data to see my business stats has been really helpful. They call it the "Pulse" which shows you the health of your business with a way to visualize how you're doing over time. I like that a lot. Bookkeeping is really easy for me now and I'm thankful I outsourced it. I just connect my accounts and drag and drop invoices and receipts that I scan or receive into the documents section and they take care of things. They also provide a nice, clean, easy to understand summary at the end of each year so my accountant can do my taxes easily. I have no regrets going with Bench. It definitely saves me a lot of time and stress.

CONS

I wish there are some nice comparable summaries like percentage growth or changes month to month, by quarter, and YoY. Prices still feel a little high to me and I wish there was an option for invoicing and receiving payments into my checking accounts.

Reason for choosing Bench

A good blend between what I need the most, pricing, and peer reviews.

Thank you so much for your kind words! It's great to hear that we have been able to take away some stress. We've also shared your feedback with the appropriate parties for further consideration!

Replied August 2020

Brent

Financial Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2019

A great value of service for taking care of bookkeeping

Great experience and helpful service. Awesome value since an in-person CPA would be double the cost. Bench was especially around tax time when it comes to working with me to get my numbers buttoned up.

PROS

The iOS app is simple and easy to use. I appreciate the quick access to messaging back and forth with my bookkeeper, making notes about transactions, and they referred me to Gusto for an integrated payroll service

CONS

Some of the features like their Pulse tab of real time bank account syncing and electronic PDF statement syncing are glitchy.

Reasons for switching to Bench

QuickBooks required too much of my time and wasn’t learning transactions properly. Too many errors made for extra work on my part. Decided to make the jump since my business had grown and it was becoming more burdensome to keep up with after having kids to manage.

Jesse

Architecture & Planning, 1 employee

Reviewed June 2023

Good Quality; Probably too Much for a Smaller Company

I like the product, but am unsure of the value for smaller firms with fewer expenses.

PROS

I like the ease of use. There is a lot of info that is consolidated well, and the customer service is quick.

CONS

Overall the service works well, but for a small company with relatively few expenses, the $300/mo pricing is a bit steep. I feel that a tiered rate based on expense quantities would be valuable to smaller companies wishing to offload the accounting work, but can't justify the cost.

Referral from friend

Reasons for switching to Bench

QBO is a powerful tool, but way overcomplicated for what I need. Only using it for reconciliation was cumbersome and frustrating.

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to offer competitive pricing to reflect the value of the services we provide, including access to a dedicated team of in-house bookkeepers and our proprietary software that automates many bookkeeping tasks. Most recently, we launched Real-Time Data from your connected financial accounts. This means you get a snapshot view of all your money in and money-out, out whenever you need it, even before your books are closed, allowing you to focus on what's most important - focusing on your business.

Replied June 2023

Byron

Law Practice, 1 employee

Reviewed February 2020

Bench is great

My accounting was solved using bench, literally it's set it and forget it, these guys are top notch and make your life easy.

PROS

Incredibly supportive staff, intuitive friendly user-interface, provided year end tax portfolio that I could easily give to my CPA. Bench is just fantastic, I can't say enough good things about the way they have handled my accounts for the past 3 years, highly recommend. If you're a professional, this is for you.

CONS

The only con here is that I didn't switch sooner.

Reasons for switching to Bench

I was ready to enjoy my practice and not deal with my books.

Thank you so much Byron for your kind words! We are so happy to be working with you.

Replied February 2020

Heidi

Law Practice, 1 employee

Reviewed June 2020

Great product, worth the cost for peace of mind

PROS

I like that it's easy to use, comes in a user-friendly format, and simplifies accounting for me. It's dummy-proof! I'm mostly looking forward to an easier tax season with this software.

CONS

It's a little expensive for a one-person office, so I wish there were more tiers in pricing. But I like the product and will continue to use it, and understand that it costs money for a good product.

Reasons for switching to Bench

FreshBooks was proving difficult and not as user-friendly as it was billed. There were some features I struggled with (separating sales tax was one of them- I couldn't figure it out and neither could they), and itemizing all my expenses/income for someone with zero background in accounting was really becoming a drag. I think to use the software correctly, you need to take a class in accounting or have some basic skills at the ready. I was overwhelmed. And I have a law degree!

Hi Heidi! Thanks so much for the kind words. If you ever feel that your average monthly expenses have decreased, we can always conduct a pricing review to see if you fall into another pricing tier. All the best!

Replied August 2020

Pat

Law Practice, 2-10 employees

Reviewed June 2019

Ditched Quickbooks and saved a lot of time

I am spending a lot less time on bookkeeping and accounting.

PROS

Very easy implementation - love the human support on closing the books each month.

CONS

Not all of my business accounts can be connected via feed (ie intuit payroll), which requires a drag and drop upload each month.

Reason for choosing Bench

I found quickbooks to be frustrating and required far too many manual adjustments - and I never did completely understand the chart of accounts on QB. It was simply too complicated to use and I was exhausted trying to keep up with everything that I needed to do to get a good set of financials.

Marie

Photography, 1 employee

Used less than 2 years

Reviewed July 2020

Bench dropped the ball & gave me a partial refund.

I tested Bench out at the end of 2019 and then hired them for my entire 2020 books. In the beginning, they were on top of things. Then, mid-summer they dropped the ball. My account got passed to another team, and they didn't even touch my books for months. It was a mess. I reached out to customer service and they did give me 2 months of a refund, because the customer service rep (who was very kind & courteous) saw what I saw. In December, I requested for my bookkeeper to fix some miscategorized transactions and later asked, "Hey were those fixed?" She said she fixed them, which was a blatant lie! On top of all of that, it took them about TWO MONTHS to do my final end of year books that I could pass onto my CPA. I was told they were uploaded, but then they weren't there when I looked for them. I had to request, "Please upload them again." They apologized and did so right away, but by the time I saw them, thank goodness for the COVID extension, because I literally didn't have my deliverables from Bench until April 2020. My filings would have been late.

PROS

Bench is easy to use and navigate. In the beginning, they were fantastic at answering questions I had to help understand how my bookkeeping was being handled. That's about the only good thing I have to say.

CONS

I spent more time dealing with Bench all year long than when I was doing my own bookkeeping on a simple spreadsheet. I expected a learning curve in the beginning. They promised it would get easier "as we learn about your business and transactions," but I found month after month that the same transactions got flagged needing my input. Then, when I did thorough checks on my books, I found several transactions not in the right category. The other thing I didn't like was that my bank constantly needed to be reconnected. I truly felt like I spent more time handling Bench than I would've spend just doing my own bookkeeping.

Reason for choosing Bench

I chose Bench, because I was hearing good things about them from Ash Ambirge of the Middle Finger Project whom I adore & trust. I liked the idea of a real person on my books, not software I had to manage.

Reasons for switching to Bench

I thought having a real person handle my bookkeeping would be faster than doing it myself.

Amber

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Reviewed July 2023

Warning: Do Not Use Bench Tax Services

I use it because I've already paid for the tax return to be filed with them for 2022 and don't want to have to pay twice to have it filed. I will never use them again for a tax return and feel their ability to offer this service should be revoked as I have never worked with a more unprofessional tax service.

PROS

After months of back and forth with their accounting team I was finally put with an account manager who knows what they are doing and can communicate effectively

CONS

They are incapable of filing an accurate tax return. It is now August and they are still figuring out how to file my 2022 return. Each time they send anything over there are multiple errors they need to fix. Their response times are abysmal and their team has little to no knowledge about actual tax compliance and filling.

Reasons for switching to Bench

My previous company was no longer offering tax solutions otherwise I would have stayed with them. Unfortunately I made the mistake of choosing Bench and have regretted it ever since.

Hi Amber, thank you for taking the time to continue to share your feedback with us. We're sorry to hear about your experience and are currently looking into it. A member of our Client Success team is in active communication with you regarding this situation, and if you have any additional questions or concerns, please let us know.

Replied August 2023

Albert

Consumer Services, 1 employee

Reviewed April 2019

Exceptional Services for Small Businesses

Bench executives should develop the bookkeeping platform further to include items that allow the end user to have a total experience. I understand that the goal is to lead bookkeeping into full tech. However, I feel that users want some form of one-on-one service where they are able to meet and greet their bookkeeping expert. What I have experienced with Bench thus far are a series of glitches when adding accounts, not being able to delete accounts, and occasionally having to repeat myself when discussing issues with numerous customer support staff members that are not apart of my bookkeeping team. I feel that by establishing a video conferencing feature to the dashboard, it would be a brilliant opportunity for us, end users, to get to know their experts and to limit any inconsistencies while providing a more personal experience.

PROS

Bench has done a great job of placing most items one would require into a dashboard that makes the bookkeeping experience simple. Customer service at Bench is by far the best in the market! Staff at the company truly believe in the product and provide the end user with an exceptional experience each and every call.

CONS

Platform errors and the lack of additional features.

1 employee

Used monthly for less than 12 months

Reviewed October 2022

failed to file business taxes on time and did not file personal taxes properly

tldr; terrible - incompetent, will not support client if there are missed filing deadlines, penalties and fees. During my sales onboarding call, I talked about my 10 years of doing business in NYC as a sole owner of an s-corp. I have to file extensions from time to time. Bench assured me this would be no problem. They missed the deadline to file my business return with NYC. When I asked Bench about this, they replied that they don't do municipal filings. I asked why didn't my tax preparer notify me - the short answer: he didn't even know NYC requires a seperate business filing. It took several intense phone calls to get a refund. My personal returns were the same. They didn't calculate my estimated tax liability when the filed my extension. I got hit with hundreds in penalties and interest. Again I asked why they didn't notify me. Answer: it was in our disclaimer. If you look at what Bench offers, they are charging a premium for essentially googling information for you. The actual issues you will need guidance on, they don't offer. Furthermore, they will not advise you of critical filing necessities because it's in their list of "disclaimers". Find a local tax accountant who understands your business and will have your best interests in mind.

PROS

The dashboard chat and customer call scheduling were pretty responsive.

CONS

a bit clunky moving from bookkeeping to tax platforms and not knowing which chat/communication to use when customer support tells you to check your messages.

Reason for choosing Bench

I assured by Bench sales rep that what I asked for (business returns and extensions) were services they could do. They clearly do not have the expertise or competence do these services.

Reasons for switching to Bench

I was pitched Bench when I switched invoicing software from Quickbooks to Freshbooks

Hi there, Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We're concerned to hear about some of your frustrations, and our Client Success Team has been actively reaching out to you to address the frustrations.

Replied November 2022

Destiny

Wholesale, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2020

Ease of Use and Best Investment Ever

My overall experience is great. this is my second time using them. I had to leave the first time while switching my business format but it’s worth the investment knowing that my books are in order in I can easily track my growth and readjust expenses.

PROS

The best thing about the software is hands off. In comparison to other software you have to not only implement the software you have to hire someone to upkeep it/reconcile it every month, whereas this is all in one pricing.

CONS

The software may be a little confusing at first but with the customer service they help you navigate how to use the key features. I do wish there was a easier way to download a simple profit and loss and there are some other things that they may not be able to do that you need a CPA for but you at least have all your information in order for the CPA.

All in one pricing

So glad we are able to work with you again, Destiny. Thank you for sharing your experience! All the best.

Replied September 2020

Jon

Restaurants, 2-10 employees

Reviewed April 2019

Bench Works!

Overall, I recommend bench to everyone. They do have their shortcomings, but in my experience it can be fixed by not giving so many clients to one person. My current bookkeeper is great and very prompt on delivering my books each month. I hope she sticks around. YMMV, but keep with it, bench is the best out there.

PROS

My QuickBooks was a mess. I had brought in duplicate transactions from syncing with square and I was going to need to manually adjust thousands of items. Then I found bench! The bookkeepers are relatively easy to get in touch with when you have an issue; you can book a call, chat, etc. Come tax time the year end summary they put together was amazing. It made filing taxes very easy.

CONS

The bookkeepers are spread very thin, and turnover is high. I've been with them a little over a year and I've had 3 different bookkeepers. I had to complain about one of them because he wasn't giving me a complete set of books each month. (They ended up giving a month free while they caught up my books.) It costs much much more than QuickBooks and doing it yourself, and you do have someone knowledgeable doing the work, but all than means nothing if your books are fragmented.

Jean