What are Lightyear users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Lightyear software through verified user reviews

• icon"Easy to use, easy and fast to implement, seamless integration with Xero, outstanding product support and customer service."
  • icon"Easy to use and once we get a better understanding and our systems in order we will save lots of time."
  • icon"Easy to implement and user friendly. Support staff are always available and respond and resolve any enquiries promptly."
  • icon"Nothing yet that I have experienced any bad so far."
  • icon"No such other tool available in the market that is near close to the lightyear performance."
  • icon"I have found the only difficulty is in getting our managers to move from their old habits of paperbased systems to this."

Browse all Lightyear Reviews

• Have you used Lightyear and would like to share your experience with others?

Yasmin

Company size: 51 - 200 employees

Great AP Software

Megan

Time Saver

Using Lightyear eliminates the overhead of a staff member and risk of manual data entry errors. Saves time and money for the business

Pros

- Ease of access for different managers to approve their own departments invoices - ability to bring up old invoices as a click of a button - quick turn around from customer service team - Data interpretation to avoid data entry errors - Access 24/7 anywhere in the world

Cons

Phone app does not have all the same capabilities as the website, waiting for further updates.

Game changer

Fantastic, over the couple of years I have been using the program I have had nothing less than outstanding service from the support team and after initially only using it for my larger clients, it has been an easy decision to bring all my clients across to the platform. The program is intuitive to use and easy to implement and scale up or down depending on the client and approvals process needed.

Pros

The invoice approval function was the reason for initially coming across to Lightyear but the statement reconciliation process was a hidden surprise that has enabled my last remaining paper based clients to take the leap to being completely paperless. The integrity of the data being exported to the accounting software is much better than other programs.

Cons

My clients who use purchase orders are currently needing to batch together the PO pdf & supplier invoice images before sending to Lightyear which would be amazing if we could either match them up within the app, or issue PO's direct from the app which are then able to be viewed with the supplier invoice.

Reasons for choosing Lightyear

It was some time ago now and I can't recall all the other programs we looked at, but Lightyear really came out as the only contender due to the price point and the approvals process.

Reasons for switching to Lightyear

My clients needed a program which offered a layered approvals process

Failure

Terrible is all i can say to be honest

Pros

Nothing to like about light year it is doesn’t work simple

Cons

Slow, Unstable, inaccurate ocr of invoices causing excessive manual re-entry of invoices, customer support non existent as they can’t do anything as it is a terrible system I have waited for improvements over the last 3 months they haven’t happened stay from lightyear find something else

Response from Lightyear

Hi Michael, Thank you for the feedback. I've reviewed your history on our system and I believe you were using our system in the early days whilst it was still in Beta and were also having some connection issues with internet speeds. I'm sorry you didn't have a great experience with the product, certainly not what we strive for at Lightyear. Lightyear is now in full release and has been receiving great reviews all round with a much improved user experience and speed. Our team would be very happy to spend some time with you and show you the product now if you like. Just drop the team a line if so.. Many thanks, Chris.

Replied January 2020

Leigh

Excellent Accounts Payable System

Our clients can see where their AP invoices are at any point in time as well as the value of AP "in progress". The fact that the system picks up duplicates is the game changer for us. Reconciling & "filing" statements is an absolute breeze.

Pros

We love how this product enables our clients to check & approve their invoices before the invoices land in Xero. We know that anything in Xero is checked & ready to be paid. Easy for multiple people to have access & sign off. All AP is in one place & finding historical invoices is a breeze.

Cons

Reading OCR receipts has been a bit behind other competitors but improvement is coming through really quickly.

Reasons for choosing Lightyear

When we looked at Hubdoc about 18 months ago, Lightyear was already far more advanced than what Hubdoc was offering.

Reasons for switching to Lightyear

Controls are tighter in Lightyear but the product is so easy to use & can easily be customised to the level of control that our clients need. Visibility of the flow of invoices through the approval process is perfect. The Dashboard makes it so easy for our Corporate clients to manage their AP really well and for us to manage the bookkeeping for our clients. All our clients from corporates to sole traders love Lightyear - they can have access to the data they need 24/7.

Christine

Love it!

I've used the software for years and have always found it to be reliable and the support start are fantastic if ever I need help with something.

Pros

There are so many things I love about Lightyear. The new statement reconciliation feature though is a game changer! Lightyear tells you what invoices are missing and allows you to contact the supplier to request missing invoices direct from the software. Amazing!!!

Cons

There's not much I don't like about the software, and the things that I would like are already in the works.

Reasons for choosing Lightyear

With Lightyear, you can delegate approvals into groups, so if you have multiple cost centres like the hotels that we do the bookkeeping for, the Chef isn't seeing bills which need to be approved by the Cellarman. Also, you can have suppliers that you don't want everyone to see, so you can select that only certain people see them. As well as multi-level approvals so the General Manager can check off and I as the bookkeeper can check the data is accurate before bringing it into the accounting software. In conjunction with the integration with Xero happens within seconds so you're not waiting for your bills to come across from one software into another.

Reasons for switching to Lightyear

Invitbox was been owned by Reckon and had not supported or upgraded for some time. The original developers for Invitbox took it back and rebuilt it from the ground up. Invitbox, even unsupported and without upgrades, was an awesome piece of software and superseded the functionality of it's competitors such as ReceiptBank. Since the original team was coming back on board, it was a no-brainer.

Lloyd

Great Support

We've been using Light Year for a little while now. It's been a little up and down with the uptake from our clients as some are of a more traditional mindset and do not want to convert to paperless. Some clients also take a little longer to acclimate to the system then others, but once setup and working, each client on light year improves efficiency by about 20%. More over, the support and continued patience of the team at Light Year, especially Tom, has been astounding. Due to job changes, they've helped train any and all staff as we've seen fit. Have listened to ideas, and implemented workarounds where possible, truly making this a system we can use above other similar products. They also offer that support to our clients who may otherwise be struggling and are always on hand 24/7 to call, video conference or chat online to anyone who needs assistance.

Pros

The support from the team is fantastic and are always on hand to help and assist. Feedback and suggestions on the system are welcomed and implemented if possible and useful. Invoices no longer need manually entering! Option to automate the process of receiving invoices entirely, doing away with any need to upload - instead just get them emailed directly into Light Year.

Cons

A few of the options appear to be placed on pages I wouldn't expect, but nothing particularly bad.

Reasons for choosing Lightyear

The other options were either underdeveloped, or offered no a very strict, uncompromising service that did not fit within our company. They also relied too heavily on OCR. Light Year while newer than some of it's competitors, chose a different approach and worked with us to see if their solution could help, and even added and updated features to make it fit more into our company.

Response from Lightyear

Many thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. Great to hear how that the support team has been fantastic. We will pass this along to them.

Lightyear works as promised

Lightyear provided more accurate invoices from different kinds of suppliers and minimised the need for manual input, provides transparency as all the history is included with the bill and allow for Approvers to view the invoices for their area so provides confidentiality and saves them time. Staff skills and time can be used more productively on more than inputting invoices.

Pros

Every step of the process has been excellent and the ongoing support has continued to be excellent. The initial contact was responsive and guided through the set up to allow us start processing quickly. The product is logical to follow and easy to view and provides options every step of the way. The data extraction is very accurate and adaptable to different supplier invoices and the mapping team is very quick. This is more accurate than our previous software. To email queries from within Lightyear saves so much time and hassle looking for emails and provides great transparency. Separation of users to their department only Choosing where we export to Xero has been essential to facilitate approval levels Lightyear continues to improve their Service to queries has been responsive and solutions are specific to our company using information and not a regurgitating the help function.

Cons

There is a lot of functionality and detail so can be a little overwhelming. Support videos and notes focus on administrators but could find information on guiding from the other user roles perceptive after initial guide when first login

See above benefits

Reasons for switching to Lightyear

Datamolino and Xero did not provide the functionality which meant a lot of time was spent entering invoices and nothing else.

Response from Lightyear

Many thanks for the review. Great to hear that you are finding the data-extraction to be more accurate and quicker than your previous supplier.

Great Software to Streamline your Accounts Payable Process

I find Lightyear easy to use and I have only had positive feedback from clients.

Pros

I love the automation of data extraction and the built in approval process Lightyear has to offer. It helps me to get my clients data correct, having the correct expenses and payables, and it means I can get multiple levels of approvals before the invoice hits the GL.

Cons

Sometimes the OCR doesn't work the way I expect, but I know they are constantly improving the software and I'm confident it will be better in future.

Reasons for choosing Lightyear

Lightyear data extraction was much better than the rest and the built in approval process means I can ease the pressure from the business owners and put it back on the staff, but the business owners still have ultimate control of the suppliers.

Debra

Game Changer

Simplifying the approval process

Pros

Having data extraction & approval within one system is a game changer for us. The approval process is simple to use once you spend the time to set it up. The Keyword feature works really well when working with multiple locations. The mobile phone app is easy to use and easy to switch between companies.

Cons

No ability on the mobile app to add a note to the receipt/invoice and no feature for multiple page or long receipts / invoices.

Reasons for choosing Lightyear

Single e-mail address for incoming bills Mobile phone app easier to use Approval process easier to set up

Reasons for switching to Lightyear

Needed an all in one app for bill approval & accounts payable automation

Laure

Industry: Farming

Amazing tool to process accounts payables

Pros

Great value for money, time saving, user friendly, outstanding customer service, provides everything you need to process creditors invoices

Cons

I have never had a bad experience with Lightyear. Whenever something doesn't work (which barely happens), their team is always very responsive and the problem gets solved super quickly

Reasons for choosing Lightyear

Much better product than the other alternatives

Justin

Efficient, intelligent and easy-to-use

The team at Lightyear are hospitality-experienced and so empathise and comprehend my business and the daily problems I need to resolve. They are fantastic to deal with - grounded, patient (I test them on this), understanding and always willing to help and train. They are more than a supplier - they are a true business partner, with the best interests of my business as their main concern (even if it means cutting themselves short a few dollars here and there). A great company to have on your side, and an inspirational team to work with.

Pros

Once set up, it's a one-stop-shop for invoice receipt, accounts payable and receivable reconciliation, cost management, and business information. It is intuitive and simple to use, extremely cost-effective and takes out some of the most mundane and laborious tasks so I have more time to work on improving my business and keeping front-of-house. I could not recommend it more highly.

Cons

There's nothing I dislike about this product - I am overly happy to have it as part of my suite of tools.

Reasons for choosing Lightyear

An overall better system, but also better priced and better people to deal with!

Reasons for switching to Lightyear

I believe Invitbox was discontinued.

Response from Lightyear

Many thanks for the review. We're glad to hear that you are taking full advantage of Lightyear.

Glenda

Lightyear makes invoice handling very easy and more accurate.

Stone & Wood has a non-corporate and egalitarian culture. Employees are held in trust to do the right thing when purchasing with budgets as a guide. We don't have a purchasing department and we have flexible guidelines on buying stuff. However the board of directors and the auditors want black and white figures and proper accounting standards. I would not be able manage two very different requirements without Lightyear. I would need a lot more staff!

Pros

What I like most about Lightyear is how easy and versatile it is to use. It saves so much time! Invoices come into Lightyear and are identifiable immediately. Important information from the invoice is automatically read and displayed. Invoice details are easily updated, added and authorised in the one program. The beauty of this is that it happens before it reaches our accounting software which makes the process much more flexible and accurate. All our invoices and statements are stored electronically in this clever filing cabinet and any one granted access can see the actual invoice PDF anytime and quickly. Much easier and more secure than within accounting programs or Outlook. If a supplier has sent an invoice to lightyear, it doesn't go missing. It can't be lost. if it can't be read by Lightyear, it bounces out to your appointed email. Lightyear provides a thorough audit trail. Every time an invoices is read, edited, sent, authorised or declined, etc it is recorded.

Cons

As we use SAP accounting software, which is not cloud based, our software integration took a bit longer. The team at Lightyear (then Invitbox) worked with our SAP provider helping them write and produce the integration document.

Reasons for choosing Lightyear

Lightyear is way above any other product on the market and the staff are friendly and reliable.

Terrific Service and a Continually Improving Product

Overall, it's been fantastic. There is no such thing as a perfect system, but it is the people behind the software which really impress me. The fact that when things go awry, it is so easy to open the instant chat and speak to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is a great touch. The service is paramount. I've had issues which were solved overnight which comes to show they really do listen.

Pros

Lightyear is visually pleasing-it's quite simple to use and understand. From the user perspective who inputs data on invoices and approves them, it's straightforward and the layout of the software does not show you more than what you need to see, however, underneath the simple processes there is complexity. Lightyear makes supplier creation, GL code settings linked to export files such as Excel, and GST codes etc are somehow made simple to set up. One thing I find particularly great is whenever I input an ABN number during the Supplier Creation process, it autofills the Supplier Name field. Additionally, this is a drop down menu, so i am able to choose ANY of the Business Names linked to this ABN.

Cons

Sometimes, there have been system bugs and I'm unable to export data for a brief amount of time, or when we top up credits to use the system, the old credits are not rolled over their expiry date. It would be great if there was a notification in place to let us know that our credits are expiring soon or we are running low. Also, there are some things which cannot be customised. For example, the Export to File which is a function that exports invoice data into a spreadsheet, cannot be modified from my end. Lightyear do add features from time to time, but I'm not sure if consumer recommendations are actually involved in the process.

Jane

This software took away our headaches with accounts payable

We love using Lightyear. It provides a fast, smooth process for auto processing and two-step approval. This saves us time and gives us the control process we need with administration staff checking mapping and accounts along with Directors approving the bill for payment; all before getting exported to Xero. Customer support is helpful and timely , especially during the set-up process.

Pros

Integrates seamlessly and easily with Xero - our accounting software The option for single, double or exec approval process within Lightyear - meaning bills can be directly exported to the payment tab in Xero rather than draft. Ability to file statements within the software - very handy with suppliers that send multiple dkts then ask you to pay on a statement

Cons

Minor wish list item:The archive tab for completed bills would be handier to search if located on the horizontal tab area where reviews, approvals are shown - rather than only accessible from the left-hand menu bar.

Reasons for switching to Lightyear

Being a previous user of Invitbox, I liked the approval process within Lightyear and the fact that you could export to Xero instantly. Really handy for those last minute bills you receive late but needing payment before your impending creditor run.

Lightyear - great product, easy implementation, great value and top notch customer support!

AP Automation was long overdue within our organisation. Lightyear ticks the boxes for us in terms of automation and improving our processes, particularly in an international organisation working in multiple timezones. Would thoroughly recommend you are least trial the product - no cost if you don't like, but I'll be surprised if you turn back!

Pros

Not much not to like! The fact that you can have a month's free trial to test it out and set everything up is brilliant. It meant we could trial the product at no cost (including excellent support from [SENSITIVE CONTENT] ). Although there was paid implementation assistance (cheap!) available I was able to set the whole thing up without having to resort to that (the customer support team is on hand 24/7 to help with any issues). The product is not that mature - which could be seen as a downside. However, the Lightyear team is so responsive that it doesn't actually come across that way. Most of the niggles that I had at the beginning (just over 6 months ago) have already been resolved through the regular product updates, and I have confidence that the remainder will be resolved in due course. The product is very easy to set-up and use (as evidenced by being self-implemented). We have implemented in four locations, and once you understand how things work, it only really takes a couple of hours of setup to do each new location.

Cons

Given the nature of the rapid development of the product, there is still some work to be done to rationalise all the features (e.g. 'Edit Bill' permissions were add retrospectively to the 'Task Approver' role, so they don't integrate in a completely cohesive manner with the interface). However, I understand that the team are proactively working on that aspect.

Reasons for choosing Lightyear

Best value, free trial, easy (and free) implementation.

Diego

Great AP tool for your business

User friendly platform, great support and an outstanding approval options. I recommend Lightyear to all my clients, specially the ones that requires a complex approval process before the bill is imported to the accounting system.

Pros

The approval options definitely is the differential of Lightyear. From a simple 2 steps approval, to up to 3 executive approval, there are many options that can suit the most complex business. Another strong point from Lightyear is their support. You usually gets a response on the same day.

Cons

Their subscription is based on the number of transactions, so if your business manages a large quantity of bills, it might become a bit expensive.

Reasons for choosing Lightyear

Due to their approval options.

Response from Lightyear

Many thanks for the review. Glad to hear that the approvals are making your life easier.

Accounts Payable Perfection

Extremely happy.

Pros

Lightyear allows us to easily manage the accounts payable process across our entire client base. It's unqiue mapping extraction process as well as logical flow of information, clean user interface, filing cabinet, approval process, inventory and duplicate recognition make it in my opinion the best accounts payable solution on the market. There support team is second to none.

Cons

Integrations with more POS programs or even job management programs would only increase Lightyears potential.

Reasons for choosing Lightyear

The additional functionality and accuracy of the extraction process/technology.

Response from Lightyear

Many thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. It is great to hear that you are taking full advantage of LIghtyear. We are always working on new integrations and more are coming soon.

Yvette

Lightyear is fantastic

Since purchasing lightyear it's made a huge difference to our business. It's hugely free'd up my time as the invoice processing is automatic now and all I have to do is check the coding for new products and then import them into our accounting system. It's made each head of department responsible for their own invoices and the processing of them which is great. It's stream lined our accounting processing as it's compatible software system MYOB plus our POS system Bepoz for beverage inventory and stock takes so we don't have to double enter invoices anymore into 2 different systems. It's free'd up my office from paper and files. I highly reccomend it to any business, it's fantastic.

Pros

Lightyear makes invoice processing and filing efficient and time effective. I have now set up departments within the parent comapany so we can split our food cost per department easily. It integrates with our POS system Bepoz, which our Beverage Manager is extremly happy with. It makes his stocktakes more efficient and takes him less time and also integrates with our accountimg system MYOB which is extremely efficient.

Cons

Sometimes the export to MYOB lags and I have to do it numerous times before they actually move across. I can live with that!

Reasons for choosing Lightyear

It reads off a scanned PDF documnet (OCR) and the others don't. Huge advantage.

Merran

Accounts Payable Game Changer

Kudos to Team Lightyear for delivering a full range Accounts Payable solution in a simple and effective package. After researching a number of similar products, we implemented Lightyear over a year ago and it has transformed the way we manage our suppliers across all business divisions. Automation ensures integrity of data flows and authorisations through all our core systems and provides a comprehensive audit trail for every document - from when it was received from the supplier, across every interaction and through to our accounting system. Data processing time has halved and all users can source information directly through the simple online document storage feature. Implementation was seamless and the team managed to deliver the entire product remotely and in record time. Support is strong and fast, and I love seeing continued enhancements and new features in the software. I recommend Lighyear to my peers often - a great solution for any business.

Pros

Simplicity - easy for non-finance users to navigate Clear audit trail on all interactions with documentation Very cost efficient

Cons

I would like to see a bounced email feature when a supplier directs their invoice to a slightly incorrect email address - as far as I can see, if the Lightyear email address is incorrect, neither the supplier or the receiving entity is aware

Kamil

A great product that's getting even better with every update

Pros

First of all, Lightyear is a standalone application that you can, but don't have to integrate with your accounting software. Second of all, strightaway you know the costs of adding it to your business. The price list is on their website and it's fair. The setup did require some thinking about workflows and user experience, so I took my time there. But once the suppliers and maps are set up and automation rules kick in, the whole AP process becomes much less painful. I almost enjoy it now ;). The most important features like reading the invoices, accurately mapping them, and assigning them to correct approvers work very well. It saves time, effort and annoyances. The Lightear support team is a very helpful and friendly bunch. I even did a small survey among colleagues and asked what they thought of Lightyear. No surprise - everyone likes it. I highly recommend this product!

Cons

No option to add multiple attachments to invoice at once.

Reasons for choosing Lightyear

It's standalone and doesn't need costly integrations with accounting software or involving IT support.

Soonah

Growth Enabler

Using this program has centralised our accounts payable system. its has allowed us to mazimise growth through the use of a time saving effieciently tool and also offering features that other do not eg approvals, statement mapping, line item, price matching etc

Pros

Streamlined our processes and added features of line mapping, statement mapping, price matching

Cons

that when you log into the app on mobile devise you have to re-enter the password every tiem

line item mapping

Response from Lightyear

Hello Soonah, Many thanks for your review. We are lad to hear about all the other features you are taking advantage of. The issue with logging in everytime to the mobile app should now be resolved and you will stay logged in for longer.

Replied May 2020

Lightyear are a true business partner

The Lightyear team are an absolute joy to work with, absolutely passionate about their product, and absolutely passionate about your customer journey. Lightyear provide fantastic support, with investment in comprehensive system training, onboarding and seamless accounts system integration even before you have committed to buy. The transition from our original processes took approximately one day! Lightyear have now fully automated our AP function, embedding improved and auditable controls, and is now a fundamental part of our business processes. Lightyear truly are a business partner in every sense of the word.

Pros

The functionality of Lightyear is incredible. This solution fully incorporates digitisation of all aspects of the AP function including data extraction from invoices, a full invoice depository, approval workflows via email and app, audit trails, seamless integration with our accounting system, automated supplier statement reconciliation, to name but a few. It can even verify supplier invoice line pricing to agreed pricing product price lists! The system is user intuitive, with the process was so natural that rolling this out across the team was simplicity itself. And pricing is scalable to usage, providing totally affordable Rolls Royce functionality to any organisation.

Cons

Have found no cons to date! Thee are certain upgrades in the pipeline for approver interface via the app and email which will further enhance the already existing superiority of this product.

Reasons for choosing Lightyear

Functionality surpassed all competitive products that we could find for a truly affordable price

Lisa

Wonderful Product

Time saving and accurate. The archive tab is a wonderful tool for our department managers to look up invoices without interrupting the Accounts team. The inventory function is great as well. I was sceptical when first introduced to Lightyear after returning from Long Service Leave but now I just couldn't imagine working without it. Being cloud based it is easy to work from home.

Pros

We never lose an invoice. Even if we accidently delete an invoice we can return it for processing. We have reached our goal of being almost paper free. The processing, approval, review and signing off tabs are wonderful and provides us with a simple system that provides accountability from our department managers. So easy to use and saves so much time.

Cons

A very small number of our supplier invoices can't be mapped but with the overall benefits of this system it is just a minimal issue.

Sharon

Lightyear

It's saved a lot of time for my business and it works for all of my clients. I have some interstate clients and it's a speedy way to agree and make payments on daily invoices coming through for approval etc. We can all view the same invoice at the same time if there is an issue and easily resolve then and there.

Pros

I love that all my actions can be taken out in one place - it's stores/archives all information received and is easily searched upon.

Cons

I would like to see an option to archive 'Service Reports' - it's not always just invoices and statements that come through but often a 'supporting' document that I don't like to delete.

Reasons for choosing Lightyear

I didn't really get a say as the software system provider that I use (Abcom) recommended the switch. I was all for it if it was going to save time in waiting for mail of doucments etc

It was automated