What are QuickBooks Desktop Premier users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using QuickBooks Desktop Premier software through verified user reviews

• icon"Quickbooks is very easy to use. It is easy to go back and make corrections after the fact, if necessary."
  • icon"QBD Premier is reliable, extremely fast and robust. The reports you need and the customization anyone would like."
  • icon"I am really enjoy using QuickBooks Premier it's an easy-to-use system and keeps my accounts in one place. Our CPA has everything they need for the end of the year and it's a great time saver."
  • icon"When a mistake is made, trying to find the mistake and fix it can be quite difficult. My Mistake: Figuring out what has to be voided or deleted before I can void or delete something else."
  • icon"Don't blame software when MAJORITY of mistakes are done by Users NOT KNOWING WHAT THEY WERE DOING. MUST learn to use the software properly."
  • icon"Numbers don't match time to time. It requires customer service but need to pay for software issues."

Browse all QuickBooks Desktop Premier Reviews

• Have you used QuickBooks Desktop Premier and would like to share your experience with others?

Linh

Professional accounting software with functions met the need of Small and Medium Businesses

QuicksBooks is probably the accounting standard for all small and medium businesses. The subscription fee is in the high-end but customer service is such an excellent addon when users can get in touch for support via instant chat or emails.

Pros

Easy to use by an accounting professional and easy to train the new team member. Delegation functions is very useful while the staff can perform almost all data entry tasks and the manager can review and approve transactions to preserve the uniformity of the accounting books. Cloud-based data allows all staff to work remotely. Connection is always reliable and easy to set up. Reporting features are customizable to serve multiple purposes (specific account, tax, or audit).

Cons

Billing and invoicing, even cost extra in subscriptions, are not straightforward and still require a lot of manual processes.

2.5

2.5

August 2016

Not for the long-haul (canadian version)

Pros

Ease of use, and very quick to learn. This version allows up to 5 concurrent users. The audit trail and stock reports are very user friendly with plenty of filters. Expect a very quick turnaround training new staff and getting them up to speed, as the interface and functionality is hard not to grasp. Since this is the premier version, I was not assigned an account rep. There is also a toll free line overseas for any technical/database bug issues. I did like the support for merchant services and the support given for if we were to upgrade. The only real (noticeable) difference between this and the enterprise version is slightly less options for role centre "customization" and being capped at 5 concurrent users. In the Canadian version, plugging in to SQL server is the way to go in order to obtain custom reports.

Cons

The role centers "handcuff" users to certain roles. When it comes to the general ledger, the "all-or-nothing" functionality doesn't allow the controller to shut off access to certain parts of the financials. Ideally, the controller should be able to define a role center to allow posting/viewing in certain account groups and not to others. Inability to approve and subsequently lock down POs and SOs. Once a PO/SO gets issued, a user with basic access can always change unit costs and quantities. This hinders the business' scaleability. The Canadian version no longer allows the user to compress the data file in previous periods. This may be frustrating for companies who rely on lengthy journal entries, as the database file size will exponentially grow. If you are a job shop (or project-based company), do not expect much in terms of job-cost reporting. The software is limited to populating a customer field when posting an expense. You will have to manually set up jobs as customers and instruct staff to classify expenses under the proper subgroup.

Fred

Industry: Photography

April 2022

Quickbooks 2022 still full of BUGS

Technical support is a joke. It is unavailable on weekends and the tech support personnel know less about the program than I do.

Pros

It works but there are just to many basic UI flaws for a modern accounting program such as this.

Cons

There are many basic issues. One of which is when a register is opened and a transaction is selected the date for that transaction is not fully visible.

Rosanne

March 2022

Good software, difficult customer service

Pros

It is very easy to use and self explanatory.

Cons

I don't like that sometimes you cannot edit a previous deposit just fine, but other times you have to delete it and put it back in, to record things properly. I also think their customer service department is difficult to communicate with.

QB Premier Desktop

Quickbooks (QB) Premier is the top line version of QB and has many industries that it customized for. Sometimes you can buy one then select your industry in which you'll be lock in or buy the specific one for your industry. It's also the most expensive version of QB. The accountant edition is the Top line version and has access to all industries but it doesn't necessarily work that well when switching between industries. People using the 'cash basis' will find QB easy to use. Once you use the 'accrual' method along with invoicing, things get messy VERY EASILY! PEOPLE MUST LEARN HOW TO USE QB PROPERLY BUT DO NOT!! THE FAULT OF A MESSY QB FILE IS THE OWNER(S), NOT THE BOOKKEEPER/ACCOUNTANT! PAY SOMEONE TO FIX YOUR QB FILE IF POSSIBLE! Payroll module is available at an cost but it's NOT very good. Outsource to an external payroll company for payroll instead! When people say that they only use QB to track their expenses/income like a check book but DO NOT use it for anything else, then there's TROUBLE!

Pros

Relatively simple to use, though users MUST LEARN how to use QB PROPERLY!! Ready made Generic reports

Cons

EXPENSIVE! Garbage in, garbage out! Don't blame software when MAJORITY of mistakes are done by Users NOT KNOWING WHAT THEY WERE DOING!! MUST learn to use the software properly! Software support/life has been reduced to ~3 yr cycle. Online bank feeds don't work 100% so must pay attention to what is (not) imported from online banking account! Many features are BURIED within menus and submenus!! Client files are ONLY compatible with the previous yr's version instead of ALL Years versions (i.e. 2017 file may be opened in 2016 but not any older year versions) like it used to be YEARS ago! Compacting files do NOT work well as it screws up the beginning balance after it compacted and many client accounts are messed up as well. Need this feature to remove MANY Years worth of OLD financial data! Payroll module is available at an additional cost with an ANNUAL fee!

Kim

Quick books looks after (almost) everything I could possibly need for me to run a business, it is just taking me a bit of time to learn.

Overall, I am very happy with quick-books. I miss the simplicity of WAVE sometimes, but love how quick books manages my inventory, ordering needs, purchase orders, sales receipts, email, logo's, etc. I would probably have benefited from a class first. Having started using it, I would never go backwards again and give it up. It is part of the company now. One of us!

Pros

Pretty much everything needed to run a business is in quick books. Love how everything is mapped out on the home page. Was trying to run small business with "WAVE" and Excel. We were doing it but it was hard to keep track of everything. Love having a program that manages everything you could possibly need all in one place. Lots of help available on line (great), if you know what the problem is and where to look for the answer.

Cons

When a mistake is made, trying to find the mistake and fix it can be quite difficult. My Mistake: Figuring out what has to be voided or deleted before I can void or delete something else. Figuring out what the mistake was, knowing where to look for it ( I have entered a couple of entries twice. One as an invoice that was paid, and one as a sales receipt. When I was doing a search for the sale, because they were entered differently ...when I did a search for the sale amount both transactions wouldn't show at the same time. They only looked for INVOICE, or BILL etc- It wouldn't search for amount in two different ways of billing. Both of them had been deposited before I realized I was wrong. Boy did I spend a lot of time 1st figuring out what had happened , then 2nd figuring out how to fix it so everything reconciled. There is a lot of "help" available on line, so long as you know what you are looking for. Would be great if there was free learning available on line in video form to watch while you do.

Susan

Industry: Utilities

Makes it easy to run a small business

Pros

Reporting features available in this software program are what give it such a good value. The reporting tools are a must for following up on past-due open invoices and gives you an opportunity to follow up on estimates that were given, but not created into a sales order yet. This ability is invaluable to our small business and helps us maintain a continuous stream of revenue. We are able to export a QuickBooks file every year for our tax accountant, who can retrieve everything they need from the file without taking up our time to gather information.

Cons

A feature that would be helpful would be another column in the reporting section that assigns the estimate or invoice to a contact from a multi-select list, for example, which Project manager or Estimator is the owner of the job at that customer's company. As of now, there is only an option to assign someone from our organization to an estimate/work order/ invoice.

QB Desktop Premier

Pros

What I love most about it is that it is not cloud-based. My data feels more secure while stored on my computer (I host my QB files in my Dropbox folder). I think QBD in general is way easier to use than QBO. I like the customization available for invoicing, the ability to send statements to past-due A/R, and the overall feel of QBD 1000 times better than QBO. QBD is easier for me to navigate and has better reporting available than QBO.

Cons

The bank feed functionality in QBD is lacking in comparison to QBO and the ability to have customers pay online isn't as easy/efficient as it is in QBO.

Eliel

Best bookkeeping software

I have used QBD Premier for over 6 years and still use it for some companies alongside with QBO for others. I love how fast and reliable this desktop version is. I feel like I can perform at my best.

Pros

Cons

Cannot access remotely such as QBO and cannot have multiple companies opened as QBD Enterprise.

Philip

Industry: Restaurants

Quickbooks Premier

Excellent overall for many and many years....................

Pros

This was actually my first Quickbooks software and I was able to run my entire accounting from it. .

Cons

No critic for me. As the company grew, we had challenges doing multi company reconcilaitions, so we stop using Quickbooks.

Karla

Depends on what you need

I have used this for many, many years and still like it a lot. But I don't know how long desktop solutions will be around given the stampede to cloud-based subscription software.

Pros

You are not dependent on internet to make use of it, and as it has developed over the years it has many easy to use features, and special accountant tools. I like the desktop data flow reminder for clients to help them understand how to use the product. Each year they release a new version with new or improved features, and there are regular maintenance releases. You can choose one of the industry specific versions of QB Premier that best meets the needs of your business. Setting up a company file can be very easy if you know what you are doing.

Cons

This is a desktop software that you have to replace with updated versions. After 3 years you no longer are able to get support or updates (each May a year gets "sunsetted") though it will still work. It is not easy to work with your accountant without sending files unless you pay for a hosting solution. Naturally, if you don't have it backed up frequently away from your local computer, you can lose your data in a crash and may not be able to recover it. Bank feeds for automated data entry usually incur bank charges, which is not true in QuickBooks Online.

Jaunett

Really good value

QuickBooks has a "double edge sward" in that it is easy to manipulate. If you know accounting, it is a good thing. If you do not know accounting, is is a bad thing.

Pros

The different modules are designed so that tricks in one module work in other modules. Reports are easily manipulated to produce the information I need. I can easily adapt chart of accounts to fit the needs of my client. I love the accountant transfer system. I can work on client's books from my office. They release updates often and are always improving the software.

Cons

My clients can make changes to accounts and reports that messes up the financial statements. QuickBooks allows changes too easily for people who do not have an accounting background. QuickBooks does not produce an Income Statement, I have to adapt a Profit and Loss statement if I want that report. The financial are not formatted so that they look nice.

Jen

Quickbooks Premier

It's a very easy to use software. You can easily customize reports, comment on reports, export reports in Excel format, customize all types of needs. It integrates with Outlook easily. I would highly recommend this software if you are an accountant or bookkeeper or in need of a specialized set up of a type of business. If you don't need these items, I would then go to Quickbooks Pro which will do everything you need and cost 1/3 of the money yearly for renewals.

Pros

Overall the product has more reports than Quickbooks Pro, but otherwise they are very similar. It allows for more specialized types of companies to set up such as Contractor version, Property Management version etc... If you set up as an accountant or bookkeeper with Intuit, they will refer business to you.

Cons

It's about 3 times the price of Quickbooks Pro costing per year to renew. There aren't really any downsides to the product otherwise.

Dennis

Terrific Software to Tracking Business Health in Specific Industries

This software has been really great to use. It's very good in the construction industry but also works well in property management! It can do everything from estimates to billing to payroll.

Pros

This software is very easy to use ...even with payroll capability. It works using various registers for each account. It also comes with a variety of reports that are very helpful in evaluating business processes...like job profitability in the construction industry. It comes complete with online videos of "how to" perform various functions like setting up accounts and billing. You simply cannot go wrong with this software.

Cons

Sometimes the automatic backup fails to work, but they always manage to get it back up and running. The backup is off-sight in the cloud and occurs with whatever frequency you choose.

Jody

Industry: Philanthropy

Has basic functionality, not very intuitive and somewhat buggy.

The software works okay, but I feel it is lacking in many respects. And the bugs and data errors are extremely frustrating.

Pros

Allows you to categorize sales and expenses by class. Can export data for manipulation and reporting in Excel. Does direct deposit payroll.

Cons

Bug: doesn't let user select "check" as payment type. Not very intuitive for a lot of it. For example, if you issue a credit to a customer, you can't apply it to any of their invoices unless the credit is issued through the same receivable account. It should at least recognize that there is a credit available for that customer. Lacking in reports. We use it for a non-profit and have the non-profit version - but there is no report, out of the box, that allows you to quickly see what is available to spend for each project (identified as a class). You can start with the balance sheet, but have to calculate what's available. And donor contribution reports are also not readily available in a format ready to send, or export. Frequently has data issues and needs to rebuild the data files.

Aleshia

Overall Good

Generally happy

Pros

Has lots of additional features within the payroll section, like using weekly timesheets to enter payroll hours, that if used properly can help streamline invoices and ensure accuracy with billable hours. There's lots of other apps that are compatible and sync up with Quickbooks too. Love being able to add Classes to separate out the divisions in our company.

Cons

Unfortunately some records don't allow or don't carry over the class function. For example, a classified invoice gets paid but the payment doesn't get classified, so when you try pulling balance sheets by class the A/R only has the invoices and not payments, giving a super off number and in a big company you're not about to calculate that manually. Can also be touchy when looking at old payroll records so you need to be trained on what not to do or what to watch for.

Quickbooks Premier based of 2018 Edition

Pros

Like all of QB's editions, it is very easy to use and navigate. If you're bank makes you pay to hook into it, you can easily imput data with a QBO file or use the batch entry function to get information in quickly. This has been a huge time savor me, especially when I have customers who haven't kept up with their books in some time.

Cons

My issue with all of QB is that reporting doesn't always give you what you're looking for, so you need to build something outside of QB. I'm sure there is a very good reason, but I also don't like having to switch to single user mode to make some settings/preference changes.

Brenda

An Invaluable Business tool

Overall great software that helps my company run smoothly.

Pros

Before using quickbooks I had been using a software that cost a month. It was impossible to use and took forever. The interface was confusing and inefficient. I have been using quick books for a decade and my favorite thing about it other than the affordable price is the almost intuitive user interface. It's home page is a beautifully designed mind map of applications. And each feature is easy to use.

Cons

Payroll is not included but can be added on for a monthly fee which is fine. I just wish the payroll would come with more features.

Judy

QuickBooks for Small Business

Pros

QuickBooks is very user friendly and almost anyone can learn to use this software for their business. It exports reports to Excel easily, which is one feature I love for month end financial reporting. It is easy to pull reports for anything by customizing canned reports.

Cons

While QuickBooks is very user friendly, sometimes that is a bad thing. An accountant must do the input or review the input. Many times people who are not familiar with accounting make errors, because you really can change anything (unless you set up security properly, which is hard in a small office environment).

Alex

QuickBooks Premier Does It All!

The program is easy to use, has incredible support, and really does it all. This program will work very well for individuals and small businesses alike. From one employee to 1000 employees, it will meet your needs across the board. Accounts Payable/Receivable, Payroll, Business Checking, various reports, and the list continues, everything you need in one neat package!

Pros

1 - Easy to use 2 - Great support 3 - Great for individuals/small business 4 - Multi-features 5 - Streamlined features 6 - Several Reports

Cons

1 - Some sections might require more thinking 2 - The immediate help bubbles could offer a little more explanation. 3 - Make sure you balance in all areas...

Stephanie

Overall good product for the price

The Help Feature that is within QB is great! If ever in doubt of how to do something, if the Help Feature doesn't have a direct answer, it searches previous replies by other users to come up with a solution. Very handy.

Pros

Easy to search for existing documents, and keep all information tied to customers and vendors within their profiles.

Cons

Customers and vendors lists can become a disaster. Many times they are not entered the exact same way. If you have a large number of customers and vendors, it is difficult to remember that a profile might have been created already. QuickBooks ends up having multiple profiles separate from one another for the same company. It can be cleaned up, but is very time consuming. My customer and vendor profiles remain a mess, as I DO NOT have the time to fix!

Dorothy

Industry: Philanthropy

Very user friendly

Luckily software is so well developed one does not need much support.

Pros

It is very user friendly. Easy to understand. I love the way you can drill into numbers to get an understanding of what its made of. Also easy to share with accountant, since many accounting firms use QB.

Cons

Not enough support. That part of the "service" is "outsourced" all over to independent business people. When you call a support line you never know who you will get.I've had many bad experiences and oft times they are more concerned with selling you an expense support package.

Janet

Easy to use for a non-accounting minded person

I find Quickbooks much more user friendly than our last accounting software program. Everything from reconciling bank statements to budgeting is more simplified process.

Pros

I find Quickbooks very easy to use and I am not an accounting-minded person. I handle both accounts payable and receivable and can figure everything out myself without resorting to Quickbooks support.

Cons

I find some of the reporting a little confusing, but my reporting needs aren't that great. Other than that, I can't think of anything I don't really care for.

Steve

QuickBooks Pro for any Pro

Regardless of any deficiency it is still the unquestionable leader in accounting software for small and medium sized businesses.

Pros

It's very easy to navigate. It performs just about any function needed for proper accounting and bookkeeping.

Cons

Customer service is near impossible to contact. The company uses a "community" of other users rather than provide its own staff to field inquiries and resolve issues. Much cheaper but responses are not always prompt and/or accurate.

Reasons for choosing QuickBooks Desktop Premier

There really is nothing else comparable.

Stefan

Slow Start But Once You Get The Hang of It... It's Great!

Overall very happy with both products!

Pros

QuickBooks is fairly easy to use and customizeable. A bit of a learning curve on the front end but once you get going it's fairly simple. You enter the information and Quickbooks does all the "dirty work" in the background. With the addition of TSheets it has made time tracking SUPER easy. TSheets Customer Service (this means yout DM1) is REALLY GREAT and rounds out the product nicely. Both are comprehensive enough to get all the time tracking, accounting and financial reporting you need.

Cons

A bit of a learning curve on the front end and they could use a few more comprehensive, professionally produced training videos.

QuickBooks Desktop Premier