• Pros

• "This is a great out of the box software. Pretty intuitive and easy to use for a small business. I've used it in multiple small companies and it's always easy and the customer service is great."

• "love the non-profit features super easy to navigate - very user friendly many more features that are helpful too"

• "This software keeps my organized. Very easy to use and easy to teach. I honestly could not see myself making it through the day at work with out it."

• Cons

• "I don't have really anything bad to say about this program, the only thing is the search engine which can use a lot of work to make it work fluently."

• "It is initially a bit costly and will require some training but once implemented it should help pay for itself."

• "There should be more invoice templates. The options and selections currently are very limited. Other than that everything else is great."

Browse QuickBooks Desktop Pro Reviews

Albert from Wilton Quaker Meeting

A Must Have For Every Organization

I "live" in Quickbooks and Quicken and use them daily for my professional and personal finances. Quickbooks is invaluable for me as I need t stay on top of things regularly. The ability to see things real-time allows me to manage our finances much better and especially in our cash flow management. Without it, I'd be doing everything by hand and couldn't perform my duties as effectively.

Pros

I like the relative simplicity of being able to enter different information, e.g. invoices, receipts, ledger, and have it all flow through to the appropriate locations instantaneously. The ability to then see the effect of those changes immediately makes my job that much easier.

Cons

The interface for entering information or report parameters is a little klunky and could use an upgrade to something more streamlined.

Cathryn from ESAC, Inc.

Excellent Accounting Software for Small Business!

My overall experience with QB is fantastic. I was lucky enough to have used it for many years and even learned to convert the Chart of Account structure in order to do business with the Government. Our control system plus the software enabled us to pass DCAA's accounting system audit to perform on CPFF contracts. We have also used data from QB and external reporting to submit Incurred Cost Submissions to varies Government agencies. Highly recommend to small businesses!

Pros

I used this software for over 20 years with several small businesses. I've used it daily for many years for all accounting cycles, such as AP, AR, GL, bank reconciliation, financial reporting, etc. I love its flexibility (mistakes can be easily fixed), complexity (can even accommodate DCAA compliance), intuitiveness (to me at least), and many report functions including drill downs. It also works very well with ICAT, so that QB data can be used to calculate indirect cost rates.

Cons

Cons are very few. Because I haven't been a daily user for a few years, a couple of issues I remember are: 1. Interfacing with a 3rd party payroll seems to not work well, we ended up having to make a large summarizing journal entry (however, this is not an issue at the current company b/c payroll is handled by Intuit). 2. Too few characters are allowed in the PO and Invoice Number field. Our bookkeeper still currently have to be creative in order to have everything fit.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

We chose QB for its ease of use and its cost.

Kerry from Illinois Firefighters Association

Accounting Software

I have been using quickbooks for quite a few years. At first, it was difficult, but after some help with accountants and using the software, I have become quite accustomed to it.

Pros

If you truly use the features of this software, it makes monthly, quarterly and yearly reports quite easy. Makes it a lot easier for the accountant.

Cons

As extensive as the products is, it is a little overwhelming at first, especially if you don't have any accounting experience. If someone is paid the same amount at each pay period, you cannot "save" the paycheck to be entered again unless you pay extra for their "payroll processing".

July 2016

Chris from Mightydustless

July 2016

Great product from a satisfied user

Pros

Intuit is a proactive company and quickbooks desktop is a solid performer. Logic is fluid, able to customize fields for greater use in my industry, links to bank, professional documents for estimates, invoices, etc... Large selection of report templates and easy to customize.

Cons

I have been a loyal desktop user for years and in the past I was able to use my license on my tablet and smartphone which allowed me greater use while in front of prospects and customers. Inuit/Quickbooks then went to stand alone one time purchase desktop fee or monthly online/cloud based subscription. They are trying to force desktop users to monthly subscription since they limit functionality to force upgrade. Cost per year for desktop is starting to climb higher than monthly cloud based version. I also had used intuits credit card processing in the past but switched to square due to costs, intuit will break out net cost and credit card discount fee for bookkeeping on their product and not on other credit card transactions for processing. There are third party apps for that but with a monthly cost.

Brette from Brette's Bodacious Catering

Industry: Restaurants

Reduce cost; increase efficiency

QuickBooks helps me keep track not only of what I have paid but of what I need to pay. It also makes balancing to the bank statement a breeze.

Pros

I love that I don’t have to outsource simple things like payroll, expense reporting, preparation for taxtime, and more. I have always found the customer service to be very helpful and understanding. It is so easy to use-I have used it just. I love that I don’t have to outsource simple things like payroll, expense reporting, preparation for tax time, and more. I have always found the customer service to be very helpful and understanding. It is so easy to use- I have used it in my own business as well as when running a medical practice and found it and in valuable partner in both roles.

Candice from Charleston Habitat for Humanity

Love the ease of use and the functionality

I've had a great experience working in Desktop Pro.

Pros

I thought the software was very easy to use. It is very user friendly. A lot of the functions are spelled out on the screen for you, which i think is very helpful for someone who maybe has never used the software. I like all the different functions, such as reporting, sending invoices, ability to keep customer information stored, ability to create certain tax forms right from QB. I also really like that you can have multiple windows open at once, unlike the online version.

Cons

The only complaint I have about the software is not being able to use remotely, without remotely logging onto my desktop where the software is stored.

Not sure.

Michelle from Sentry roofing

Industry: Building Materials

Easy

Pros

I like that in one place you’re able to do banking, payroll, write checks, pay bills

Cons

It can be expensive and it takes a while to get customer support

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Well we did go to adp for payroll but everything else is Quickbooks

Amy from Amy's Accounting and Tax Service

Customer Service is USELESS

The program is fine but my overall customer service experience is horrendous. At no time have I called to resolve an issue and actually had someone on the phone with enough knowledge ( or any knowledge of the product at all ) to help me through my issue. I usually wind up using trial and error to figure it out on my own.

Pros

The basic functions are very easy to use. For the most part it is a good book keeping program. Do Not try to do anything that is NOT BASIC.

Cons

If you need to do something a little more advanced than normal it is very difficult to figure out how to do it and customer service is USELESS! The support team has never used the product and it shows every time I call.

Because my coworker "knows" Quickbooks

Response from Intuit

Replied September 2019

Thanks for posting your honest review, Amy. This isn't the perception we hoped you'd have of the software. Our goal is to provide the best accounting software, along with support should you ever need it. It's discouraging this wasn't achieved for you, but we'd appreciate the chance to improve your outlook on QuickBooks. For a different way to get assistance, we recommend visiting the Community. In this space, you'll find an assortment of comprehensive articles. If you don't see the exact info you're looking for, you can post your own unique question to receive expert advice from fellow users and QuickBooks Team members: https://community.intuit.com/ We wish you and your business continued success. Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Michael from Special Events Management

Dinosaur on its Way to Fossil

Pros

I am hard-pressed to find an enthusiastic pro that I can add here. After years of all the limitations, and looking at other products, can't really praise the beast.

Cons

This software is bloated and uses out of date technology. It's entire substructure is based on Internet Explorer technology. That's right...Internet Explorer. The only real "cloud" solution they offer is to pay (a lot of money) to a third party service to host a remote desktop solution. Companies have been limping along this way for years. Imagine being a Quickbooks consultant to many different clients, all with different databases. Management becomes untenable. Intuit, a giant company with boundless capital continues to build on this ancient technology. It should have started from the ground up to plan for concurrent technologies, but it opted not to do so. Here is an example that happened with our organization. We wanted to move from a local hosted sever instance to a cloud-based version. Quickbooks recommended that we go with Right Networks. Right Networks, but there are major limitations and it adds $4000 a year to the cost of using quickbooks as a solution. But when your controller travels to Equador or Peru, and they need to be able to work, it was our only option. Because Quickbooks has chosen to stick to relic technology, we have this unnecessary added expense. When we moved to the hosted solution, our Enterprise license should have given us Online Backup functionality. However, the hosted instance of Quickbooks kept prompting us to activate online backups. Over and over again. Because, it uses Internet Explorer skinned prompts, it would not allow us to move forward. Quickbooks was not able to assist because it was a hosted solution. At the time of this review, Right Networks was still publishing remote desktop sessions on Windows Server 2008 R2. It is almost 2019. They are using technology that is at least ten years old. Another limitation with Quick Books and Windows Remote Desktop hosted solutions is Microsoft does not allow competing remote disk technology to run on their servers. Some time ago, our company got rid of our file servers and we moved everything to Google Drive (the corporate version). It allows end users to have access to TERABYTES of shared team data without it taking up space on their local workstation. It has turned out to be a beautifully elegant solution. As an event management and production company, our end users are constantly managing receipts. Quickbooks has no way of "browsing" to Google Drive to attach a receipt to a Quickbooks transaction or invoice. And because there is not a true enterprise-class, truly cloud-based offering from Quickbooks, we are not allowed by Microsoft to integrate Google Team Drive into our Quickbooks solution. Effectively, Quickbooks is a true dinosaur well on its way to fossildom. Even outside of our specific "power-user" needs, I have other complaints. The invoice template design functionality is quite literally out of 1992. It is truly an inelegant solution that looks ancient from the moment you open it. Let's say you have 4 accounting assistants producing invoices. If user A created an invoice based on template number 2, then when users C, D and E go to create an invoice, then their template is defaulted to template number 2. This a user-experience headache. Quite often, invoices get generated with the wrong template because of this "feature". If you want to design branded email templates that get generated when sending an invoice, there is no way to customize the email unless you design the email template using Microsoft Outlook. So you are either bound to Microsoft Technologies, with its attendant costs from CALs, Service Licenses etc. Suddenly, owning Quickbooks becomes even more expensive. Because Inuit wants you to use their payment platform (for accepting cards), they do not allow many (if any) 3rd party payment processing platforms such as Authorize.net. Our company has negotiated an aggressive 10 cent per transaction fee with Authorize.net, and Quickbooks can't compete with that, so we cannot even accept payments directly through Quickbooks. If I were a new business looking for an accounting solution, I would tell them to run far away from Quickbooks. It is terribly outdated for a twenty-second century organization.

Solid accounting application for a small and medium business.

Installed multiple desktop only and desktop/server deployments. Supported a number of QB deployments over a number of years. Performed troubleshooting for multiple issues.

Pros

-If configured properly the application is fairly reliable and easy to use. -Solid stream of updates from QB for the application. -Easy of use for the end user. -Reliability has increased since previous versions. -Built in backup feature and reminders. -Easy of re-downloading the application for re-installation from their website.

Cons

-Still somewhat buggy. -Some bugs are start showing them self after new updates are installed. -Customer support is slow and generally not knowledgeable.

Jillian from Blake, White and Farnell P.C.

Quickbooks Desktop Pro makes bookkeeping a cinch!

I am winning at bookkeeping using Quickbooks Desktop Pro, what more can I say?

Pros

Quickbooks Desktop Pro allows me to be a great bookkeeper! Isn't that worth it's monetary investment right there!? I am able to input bills/pay bills, deposits, bank reconciliations and run reports all in the same platform. I even order our checks through the software and it reminds me when we are getting low. Also, I love that I can set reminders for monthly tasks and bills that need to be taken care of without worrying about forgetting. It's tracking it all for me and I just take care of it when the reminder pops up. Now I don't have the bank account connected and that is a personal preference but it is an available feature and it has it's benefits. You can also complete invoicing and payroll through Quickbooks desktop but we already had other means to complete those tasks. I can't recommend it enough, you won't regret the investment.

Cons

The only con I have about Quickbooks Desktop Pro is that going from the online version and converting to desktop is not clean. I've yet to get an import that wasn't missing something. I hope this is something Intuit will improve on in the future. But if you don't have to go back and forth then it's not an issue. I only have one client that this a bother for, other than that I keep everything on the desktop version.

Michael from Magness Piano Service

Industry: Music

Good Value for Your Dollar

It was great while it lasted, being a one man service business it had a lot of features I just didn't need. I keep my inventory in my head, I don't have time to waste entering it into QB. No payroll, no need for a lot of the charts and graphs, if I want to know how my business is doing, I check my bank balance!

Pros

I found QuickBooks Pro to be a good choice. I had started with QB Simple Start which is OK for just accounting. My purpose in acquiring a bookkeeping program was to keep track of sales tax. In my state (Wisconsin) we have a state sales tax of 5% that is compounded with a county sales tax of . 5% for each county. For a service business like mine where I travel to the customer, I have sales tax liability for 6-7 counties and the state. QB Simple Start could not separate the taxes, I had to spend 2 days going back over my jobs for the year to separate them by hand. I purchased QuickBooks Pro the next year and at year end each county and the state were all totaled up. The numbers were all right in front of me to put on the state form! Great program

Cons

The QuickBooks Pro series has been published by Intuit on a yearly basis as a stand alone program that is installed on a computer. Usually there is support for 2-3 years mostly via community or local experts after the first 6 months. When the software gets too old(5 years or more) it may stop working or develop glitches. In my case it was QuickBooks Pro 2011 in 2016. My desktop was running Windows 7 Pro in late 2015 when Microsoft offered free upgrades to Windows 10. I foolishly upgraded, I say foolishly because I have a Laptop running Windows 7 Pro. Now 3 years later I have yet to see ANY benefit, any true difference! Except in September of 2016 there was a large Windows 10 update which made my QuickBooks 2011 obsolete along with many thousands of others. Intuit on their website gave us a 30 day use of QB 2015 while we shopped for a new version. After being burned by Windows 10 once I mistrusted it. I have a theory that Windows 10 was rushed into release before it was ready because of the ABYSMAL Windows 8!! Under that theory the "huge updates" make more sense, they are in fact additions to the build. Interesting things happen after these "updates" the sleep button disappears, twice, when you get it to sleep it won't stay in sleep. Black and Blue screens of death where you can't start your computer and when you finally do, all of your data is gone! Anyway back QuickBooks, I chose to go with QB online to avoid problems with Windows 10.

Easiest accounting software I've used

Pros

I have used Quickbooks for 19 years for twelve different companies in various industries and with various needs. QB is always easy and intuitive from every aspect, from the initial set-up of the company file to the day-to-day transaction entries. You don't need to be an accounting genius with a perfect knowledge of debits and credits in order to understand how to enter your transactions in QB. I especially like the set-up tools that guide you during set-up of various things, like payroll items. It takes the stress out of things. I also really appreciate that whether you're a new user or an experienced user, mistakes happen, and QB makes it so easy to correct or delete any transactions that you entered incorrectly.

Cons

The only two cons I have found in my varied experience are: 1) QB does not track Use Tax, so you have to use roundabout ways to calculate and track that; and 2) if you live somewhere that Sales Tax is charged at the state level as well as at a county or city level, it can be tricky to get your sales tax properly set up and properly entered on your invoices. I have read that QB Online now offers better Sales Tax tracking, but I have no experience with that yet.

Response from Intuit

Replied March 2019

Thanks a ton for this wonderful review! I'm pleased to hear you've been a part of the QuickBooks family for over 19 years! It's great that the program has consistently delivered the tools you need to get the job done. In regards to tracking taxes, I've submitted your review to our Product Development team. The consider feedback like yours when planning new features and updates. In the meantime, should you ever need support or want to learn more about the program, know you can find a plethora of self-help resource online on our Community website: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/US-QuickBooks-Community/ct-p/community-us I hope you continue to find success using QuickBooks. Thank you again for reviewing! Clay, The QuickBooks Team

Mike from Silver Light Remodeling

Quick Books Pro online is awesome, scalable for large and small organization

Great value, when possible still work with a book keeper and accountant.

Pros

My business is only 2.5 years old and I have used QuickBooks from the beginning. I did my own accounting up to a few months ago as my business has grown and I don't have time to do it anymore myself. My experience with the desk top version 2015 was ok, but I wanted didn't fit my needs well as I traveled 90% of the time. When I subscribed to Quick Books Pro Online, my experience has been nothing but positive. The interface is easy to use, and its rich feature set allowed me to activate job costing features as I needed them. Now that we are in the 2 to 3 million range my book keeper and Accountant log in and use my same subscription. I save on accounting costs as I can pull my own reports which are easy to find and customize and do not need the Part time CFO(except quarterly) feedback as I can get it on my own. We will probably double or triple are gross sales next year and have no plans to change our accounting platform. Support comes free with the online version.

Cons

Subscription charges double your second year of using the product. The first year you get a bundled deal to experience all of the different pay services offered by Intuit. The first year is great, but after that it can get pricey. We aren't going to change accounting platforms, but for smaller companies, you will want to scale down to the minimum subscription amount to fit your needs. You also have to buy checks directly from Intuit as they don't support third party cheaper check services(There are services you can print your bank information on the cheaper checks, but all come with set up fees). Online App for your phone still needs work. For me this is the weakest link in Intuits online platform. It is getting better, but still not where it needs to be. You can add expenses now and also send invoices which are improvements, but still lacking,

Zandi from Cox Electric, Inc.

Quickbooks....I Use It To Run My Company.

Overall the best small business accounting software I have found. I would recommend it over all other products. I have used it for the past seven years and I do not hesitate to dump software that does not perform. I own and operate a smallish construction company and will likely someday need to step up to one of the big boy software packages, but until then, it serves me well. You can get this accounting software to do just about anything you need it to with enough time and know how.

Pros

The software is stable with very few glitches and crashes. I have never lost any significant amount of data in 7 years. It produces reports and printed materials that are widely accepted and you can get checks and other forms compatible with ease. It networks well and with a fair amount of simplicity even with several users. The Contractor Premier does a decent job of job costing if you set it up properly. You can customize all reports, invoices, statement, etc. to meet your needs and promote the branding of your company. Payroll add on service is excellent and has kept us dead on with all payroll related responsibilities.

Cons

You get out what you put in. As with all software, you must know what you are doing to operate it successfully. I am very computer savvy and have a lot of experience with the proficient use of multiple advanced software programs so I thought I could just open a file and get going. Nope. Quickbooks does not work well out of the box, you will need to invest some time in getting it set up for you and your business. The cost of upgrades is unavoidable so be ready. You will need to upgrade every year to get the software support from Intuit and every time you add a seat on your license. There is no way around it that works and I have tried. There are a million secondary dealers of quickbooks, so called quickbook professionals and they have been certified by Quickbooks to use their branding and resell the software program and related support services which make purchase and support confusing and sometimes dangerous.

Genevieve from San Diego Vacation Rentals & Realty Consultants

Great accounting software

The overall experience has been great. QB helps keep our financials well organized, and I would definitely recommend this software to anyone, small business or large.

Pros

QB Desktop Pro is great accounting software for a small business. It is easy to navigate and there is no shortage of options to customize it to make it work just right for your business. If you ever want to know how to perform a certain task in QB, I've found that a quick Google search will yield very helpful results, and it always ends up being very easy and intuitive.

Cons

With my particular version (QB Desktop Pro 2017), the program crashes when switching between companies. You have to fully close out of one company, wait for the automatic backup to complete (if applicable), and only then enter your password for the next company and login. Even then it still sometimes closes out. If like me you only have two companies (or one!) and you rarely switch between them then it's not a big deal, but it would be very frustrating if you're switching between multiple companies many times a day.

Response from Intuit

Replied August 2018

I'll exhaust my resources to ensure you can seamlessly switch between companies, Genevieve. When it comes to crashes of any type, a great place to start is with this Community-hosted overview: community.intuit.com/articles/1460106. It tackles causes of a crash, as well as solutions. While I always suggest making backups to safeguard against data loss (community.intuit.com/articles/1460106), I also encourage you to explore the Community space a bit more. Search for any specific error codes you may see before the system closes out, as this multi-function Q&A space is a comprehensive troubleshooting database with fixes penned by the engineers themselves. Have a lovely weekend ahead, and keep up the great work at San Diego Vacation Rentals and Realty Consultants! Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Carolyn from Ajira Inc.

QuickBooks Pro Review for Small Business Owner

I use QuickBooks Pro to manage my independent consulting company and selected the monthly subscription option. This has proven to be a very good decision for me, making what could be a very painful process much less onerous. When you initially log in, you are greeted with a home screen dashboard with the salient business points visually presented. The menu along the side is intuitive to use and most things are easy to find. Linking to my bank accounts was painless, and it's a one click update to get the latest transactions added for all of my accounts. My Accountant can log in with their own login (you can give up to 2 Accounting or Bookkeeping firms access) and work with my information in place. This makes my life easier so I don't have to export information and send it anywhere. I did have a struggle with the Taxes portion, I made an installment and when the transaction came in I was unable to figure out how to apply it to my Sales Tax report. Maybe I will figure it out, but it isn't a easy as other functionality has proven to be. Also, I have had issues getting cheques to print properly on my bank stock cheques, so I wish that was something that you could modify more (move fields around to actually match up with where they are on my cheque). Overall I am very happy with my choice, it is reasonably priced (about $ a month including all updates) and the functionality and ease of use have been great for someone who is not a financial expert (I'm an IT expert).

Pros

Easy to link to bank accounts Invoicing is quick Can allow access to your Accountant or Bookkeeper Love the Home Dashboard!

Cons

Taxes are tricky. You can't have a separate area for your home budgeting/expenses, would need to have a separate license and login. - this would be nice to have. Cheque layout can't be modified so I cannot use with my bank cheques (i.e. If I want to move address info up or down to match where it should actually print on my cheque).

Shannon from Askew Intellectual Property, LLC

QuickBooks Desktop Review

Some of the benefits that has helped is producing individual statements to send to out clients. This feature is nice since you can produce only a few statement at a time, since it may not be necessary to produce a whole batch at one time.

Pros

I like how the reconcile feature works under the banking section. It allows the user to make changes by leaving the reconcile screen to make any changes within the QuickBooks program, and it still holds everything where you left off, which keeps the user from having to start over. Once complete, it creates the reconciliation detail report and a summary report, which is easy to print, or save in electronic file.

Cons

My biggest frustration is just learning how to use the software. Their is always a learning curve to learning a new software program. To help with learning QuickBooks, I took a class at a local community college to learn and understand how QuickBooks works. It is also helpful to have some accounting knowledge with learning QuickBooks.

Response from Intuit

Replied August 2019

No one wants to do the same work twice, so you can count on us to save your progress while reconciling, Shannon. There can be a bit of a learning curve with the software, but we're positive that you can master it. We also have some great resources to help you get there, like our Community space. Here you can find helpful articles and post questions which are answered by fellow users and the QuickBooks Team: community.intuit.com Thanks for the amazing review! David, The QuickBooks Team

We love it - when it works

I personally did not choose this software and would readily change to another software if it was my choice.

Pros

It's a real workhorse and it does everything that we need it to do in the realm of accounting and payroll for our small business.

Cons

Customer service is Very bad. We upgrade every year, but we spend at least 4 or 5 hours two or three times on the phone until they get it right. We have three user licenses and five computers (some users have laptops), and somehow the company file gets inaccessible and other problems keep returning. One person did something to one computer and it never worked right again, and they actually told us on the phone that they don't guarantee that what they do remotely isn't going to screw up the computer. We're in the middle of another "upgrade" right now, and again, they've managed to screw up the network. We host our company file on one computer, and all the other ones have to access it there, yet they installed the new software as "store file on this computer" for all of them yesterday. Today, we're on the phone (going on three hours) again, this time to undo all the screwups from yesterday. NOT pleased. Also, now we have to save the accountant file to media and hand deliver b/c the file is "too big" and the only way to solve that is to compress all the old data, which we need to be able to use frequently. Not happy with the customer service.

Melissa from Lowers HVAC, LLC

Industry: Environmental Services

QUICKBOOKS PRO IS THE WAY TO GO

It has made it a lot easier to keep track of the progress of the business. We can monitor the customers invoicing, their payments including methods of payments, dates of payments, as well as dates of services and what services were conducted with the codes that were readily available to be put to use. This is ultimately going to make the business a lot more valuable as we will be able to calculate the gross and net values produced by the business for any given season/month/year from now on; and when the time comes for retirement we will have a hard copy to show what the business is valued at.

Pros

Setup is so easy and efficient. Once you have your account information entered you log in and you're set to begin entering your customers/vendors/accounts. As you create them it's simple to sync them and enter payments all within the ease of clicking a button.

Cons

The first time of backing up the system was a bit of a challenge as I couldn't find the file on my computer; however, I do believe that was a personal fault of mine and had nothing to do with the program itself.

Response from Intuit

Replied August 2018

Thanks a ton for taking the time to leave us your review, Melissa. Your comments are affirming to come across, as I loved reading QuickBooks is helping Lowers HVAC continue to grow. We're proud to be backing you and your team, and I know just where you can go should you ever have questions. When you get a chance, explore our Community forum space a bit. This live Q&A space doubles as a troubleshooting library, and a perfect example of what you can find there is this article on system backups: community.intuit.com/articles/1436816. Even though I'm confident you're a pro at backups by now, the article above highlights what the Community has to offer. Delighted we're doing our part to keep you on track. I'm wishing you continued business success, so when the time for retirement comes around, you'll have nothing to do but celebrate. Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Tracy from U3 Advisors

Quickbooks is the way to go!

I manage multiple companies and all of them but one use the online version. For the one that does not pay for the monthly subscription, I use QB Desktop Pro. I love having the option and would recommend it to anyone starting out in a small business or tight on expenses. I would also recommend the desktop version if you do not have a lot of transactions going on. It is a great value overall.

Pros

Quickbooks is user friendly and the easiest way to maintain your books for yourself, your clients, and your accountant.

Cons

It is slowly becoming antiquated with technology. If you can afford to do Quickbooks online; that is the way to go.

Response from Intuit

Replied September 2018

I'm delighted QuickBooks is delivering the feature-set you and your clients deserve, Tracy. They're lucky to have you, and we're proud to be backing you guys. With this said, we strive to deliver the most state-of-the-art software on the market, regardless of what versions you're using. For this reason, could you let me know what parts of the Pro software seem antiquated with technology (QBCares@Intuit.com)? That's my inbox, and I'd love to forward your comments to the developers directly. We roll out a new Desktop generation every single year (https://community.intuit.com/articles/1749284), and your suggestions are appreciated. We use your comments as inspiration for what's to come next, so thanks in advance for sharing the specifics. Should you have any questions in the meantime, I encourage you to reach out to the product experts in our Community forum. This multi-function space hosts the article above, so post a question anytime! Jess, The QuickBooks Team

May 2016

Minh from California International Business University

May 2016

Accounting made easy with Quickbooks Pro

Pros

QuickBooks Online Plus is highly recommended as the best online accounting software for small business. Quickbooks Pro increase accuracy of accounting information, doing tax return with ease and grow your business. QuickBooks Online is very easy to start. With more than 150 third-party developers, QuickBooks can help small businesses improve in customer relationship management, time tracking, payroll payment, tax forms, e-commerce, email marketing and more apps are developing.

Cons

I like the ability of customizing some features from Quickbooks, however, more improvements are needed: - If I can import data from excel into the budget and actual report, it will be better. More customizable features for the budget and actual report. - The integration transactions from bank into Quickbooks are very useful, however it needs to be improved. It not really matches with customized chart of accounts.

Karen from Cleveland Road, LLC

Comprehensive Product but it seems like the desktop version is being phased out

If I was starting now, I would start with QuickBooks Online and save the hassle of trying to switch to it down the road.

Pros

QuickBooks Pro is a great program and I can't imagine using anything else to run my small business. You can set it up so many ways to make it work for what you want to track. I like the desktop version because all my online accounts have been hacked and I don't want my clients or my financial information out in the world because of me. I also like that I can use it if I don't have internet access which happens more times than you would think. I also like that I can run several small companies with just one version of the program.

Cons

Because they have QuickBooks Online, they have disabled or limited many download features in the desktop version. I can't get downloads from my bank anymore, for example. It is taking me longer and longer to do the same things and is having a negative impact on my one person business. I am looking into putting my 15 years of data into a format that will work well online and that is a bit daunting. It seems that how you use Jobs, Customers and Classes can vary greatly and sometimes will not work the same in the different versions. But, is seems that online is where everything is going so I need to put in more time now to make things easier going forward.

Paula from Pennypack Ecological Restoration Trust

Industry: Philanthropy

Quickbooks Pro 18 continues to be the "can't be beat" competitor!

QB really can't be beat for price, ease of use and functionality. As long as setup, routine maintenance and review of the system is done by a qualified financial person, the day-to-day input, invoice generation, etc. can be easily handled at the clerical/owner level. Of course, your QB expert/accountant should always be available to handle ad hoc issues that arise, as well as to oversee the system and review the output.

Pros

QB is an extremely powerful tool that can accommodate a wide range of organizations of various sizes, including not-for-profits. It is quick and easy to learn how to input data into the various modules. The bank reconciliation function is readily learned, even if the user doesn't actually know how to do a bank reconciliation. The inventory module, which is included in the basic package, works well for uncomplicated inventories. Invoices, journal entries, etc. can be "memorized" to enable quick recording of recurring transactions. Because QB is so prolific, many other applications interface directly (for example, banking), making QB use even easier and saving more time.

Cons

Beyond data input, standard entries and bank reconciliations, QB is best handled by an accountant who understands the ramifications of non-standard journal entries, voids, memorized transactions, etc. Because the software is so flexible, it is easy to delete and change transactions. Setup and maintenance should be done by a qualified accountant who is familiar with the intricacies of the system. QB likes to say that this software is user-friendly, and it is, to a point. Don't make the mistake of thinking that you won't need an accountant if you use QB (or any other accounting software, for that matter).

Murad from NPO

Qb pro

Using it for non profit.

Pros

Its user friendly. Extremely flexible with variety of industry specific reports. Each report is further customizable.

Cons

Does not print payment and receipt vouchers directly on customized formats. Instead third party app are required.

User friend comprehensive.

lynn from Langkuhn

QUickbooks desktop easy to use

I have been using Quickbooks desktop for 15 years and have been very happy with the evolution of the product. One of the more stable business programs I have ever used.

Pros

This is a great product for managing a business yourself. Quick to learn and easy to understand. Good integration with other programs such as time tracker and co-construct.

Cons

The reporting is not robust enough to get detailed financial information. Job Costing is a challenge and the time tracking and employee costs features are not designed to work well with job costing.

Response from Intuit

Replied November 2018

Hi Lynn. Your 15+ year loyalty to QuickBooks is valued, as is your review. I'm thrilled you had the chance to watch the program evolve. With this in mind, it'd be my pleasure to forward your suggestions to the Development Team. Your ideas power the innovations rolled out, so thank you for sharing them. In the meantime, there's a ton of insights to help simplify job costing, time tracking, and employee costs. I encourage you to explore the Community database/forum. I'll link some excellent guides below for each of the Cons mentioned. This one discusses making reports more robust: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1764375. An overview of job costing is here (https://community.intuit.com/articles/1764675), and you can better track time and employees by adding custom fields to associated invoices (https://community.intuit.com/articles/1769588). Wishing continued success to you and Langkuhn! Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Byron from The King's Academy

Terrible Company

Good up until they changed to become a pay to use company... AWFUL.

Pros

Ease of use, quality reporting and navigation...

Cons

We have used this company for more than 20 years, now they are a pay to use company... I HATE THIS COMPANY, it's all about the money now.. We are actively looking for a better solution at this point. We continue to have issues, they want you to call them every time you get locked out or theirs an issue with this crappy software... Terrible terrible company at this point.

Response from Intuit

Replied October 2019

Hello, Byron. We appreciate you being a longtime customer and taking the time to write this honest review. It's discouraging to hear your perspective has recently changed. We'd like to share some info in hopes you'll continue to count on us to assist you with all of your bookkeeping needs. When it comes to purchase prices, these are based on features and functionality included in each version of the software. As the product evolves and improves, modifications to billing and support are reflected in these changes as well. Instead of calling in, we invite you to email us at QBCares@Intuit.com. We'd be glad to continue working with you there to resolve any issues you've seen in your account. Wishing you continued success. Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Karen from Morphic Therapeutic Inc

Overall I have had a great experience with QB over the years. Like anything there is always room for improvement

Please look into fixing the 1099 piece of the software - this would be a great asset to an already great software. I would also love to get some training on the FA Manager, as I find it a little cumbersome to work.

Pros

I have used QB for 20+ yrs off and on at different clients and jobs, it is user friendly and easy to learn, which is great for startup companies. The option to export out data into excel and then customize the data as you want to view it or just export out the reports and put them to PDF and use them as your financials. I love how you can attach documents as well, comes in very handy when managing projects and contracts. When given the opportunity I always recommend it to others.

Cons

Like with everything there is always something that just does not work like you would want it to. My biggest complaint is with the 1099 process, it makes it very challenging - I recall back in the early days you were given the option to adjust the amount on a 1099, as I book JE's for accruals and those are picked up as payments and mess up the amount on 1099 to report. This really needs to be addressed and I cannot believe it has gone on this long. I usually have to get a software outside of QB to manage this piece, which is really unfortunate.

Paula from Pennypack Ecological Restoration Trust

Industry: Philanthropy

Great value -- can't beat it for the price!

Despite the drawback mentioned, QB has so much functionality for the price that, if there's another program that even comes close in value, I don't know about it. It is adaptable to a wide range of organizations. Additionally, because it is so ubiquitous, there are a lot of resources available to enable the user to get the most productivity out of this dynamo program.

Pros

QB is a comprehensive financial program with a high degree of flexibility. It has a wide array of standard reports, which are easily customized. Data from external programs can be imported into QB via Excel. The capacity (of vendors, customers, G/L accounts, companies etc), is high enough that it's never been an issue for me. It's fairly user friendly to someone with at least a basic accounting background. Non-accountants can be easily trained in specific aspects of the program.

Cons

The high degree of flexbility mentioned above is a double-edged sword -- it means that data can be easily deleted, changed, etc, thereby potentially comprising data integrity. For this reason, the program must be overseen and monitored by someone with a comprehensive understanding of the data risks involved. Therefore, QB is more suited to to an environment with fewer users who are well-supervised.

Brian from Compass BRokerage & Realty Services

QuickBooks Pro for Small Business

The cost of QB Pro upgraded every 3 years. A very cost effective solution for a typical small business in need of basic accounting and financial management tools.

Pros

QuickBooks Pro can assist you in running your small business efficiently and effectively beyond basic financial management. Like any software tool, you will need to understand the capabilities of the tool to maximize the benefits. There are a lot of rich features in QB Pro that, when set-up properly, can tell you a lot about how well you business is operating. For the majority of small businesses, QB Pro is a sufficient and necessary tool of the business. As an industry leading software, there are many add-ons that can be acquired for specific purposes/needs.

Cons

QuickBooks Pro can unfortunately be established and managed by inexperienced and/or unknowledgeable people who can set-up the system wrong or make egregious mistakes. These mistakes can be difficult to find and resolve. The software is only as good as the people using it. The inventory system included with QB Pro is not very robust and only meant to serve as a very simple product structure. Naturally, the more complex your business becomes, the more complex your QB set-up becomes.

Barbara from Barbara Brown Accounting

Quickbooks 2017 review

I am using QuickBooks Pro for my four clients now. Once a client is a cash basis video rental company. They invoice and get paid by credit card immediately for every sale. The sales dept creates the invoices and posts the payments. I track of all business expenses and income to the corporation, an LLC and his personal expenses and income as well. I reconcile the bank accounts and credit card statements monthly. I can do all this one day a week through QuickBooks Pro. I provide financial statements - a Balance Sheet and Income Statement to my client monthly. Then I pop it into excel and do a 12-month spreadsheet of the monthly Profit and Loss so he can see his trends and set goals as they are presented side by side each month. My other client has a business with three departments which each require a profit and loss statement. I set up the departments easily through the chart of account. In my career, I am now a bookkeeper and working full time. QuickBooks is perfect for this!

Pros

It is flexible and almost anything can be recorded and done. Reporting is easy to customize and can be set up to meet any company needs. I also have a manufacturing cliient and inventory is easy to reconcile and move goods through the process. Reporting is essential in this area of QuickBooks.

Cons

I sometimes have trouble with the Chart of Accounts and eliminated accounts.

Nabeelah from CFOHire

You do not have to be a bookkeeper to use this efficient and functional QuickBooks app

Pros

I am an accountant and have signed all my clients up on QuickBooks. In the world of accounting and bookkeeping software quickbooks really stands out, why? Its affordable Its really easy to use. The iphone/android app connects to the camera on your phone. Which means you can take a photograph of your invoices, its crops it automatically and saves it on the cloud. Super simple and no more filing coffee-stained invoices. That way you can easily submit the digital image to SARS/IRS in case of a query. You can set tax perimeters (e.g. if your client is a non-profit you can set to VAT n/a) Its super simple to setup with your client's bank account. Which syncs card purchases in real time. You can match corresponding invoices to payments. No more stressing about debit or credit. Easy search and filter functions. To find payments by amounts/ suppliers/ dates etc. You can easily go back and fix a typo or error when you don't balance. You can easily add notes and comments and images, in case your colleague is also accessing the app. This app frees up time usually wasted on administrative tasks and allows me to do the real analytical work, of forecasting and budget etc , required of an accountant.

Cons

I hope my clients don't see this review, as they will wonder why on earth they pay me such an expensive retainer. Because actually QuickBooks is so easy that bookkeepers may go out of business.

Alex from Biltmore Dental Group

Quickbooks Desktop Pro experience

Overall very happy with QB Desktop Pro - I'm no accountant but this software is pretty straightforward and makes it easy to keep track of the office finances. I am able to easily enter in ledger items and print checks.

Pros

I am easily able to search for checks or other financial line items in order to find when something was written. Also incorporates accountant's changes smoothly. Daily use is straightforward, although I do only have a beginner's knowledge

Cons

It took me a while to figure out why my checks weren't printing - there was a little box I had to check. Also it seems like it is always wanting me to update it all the time. I usually can't tell any difference after the updates.

Response from Intuit

Replied August 2019

We love knowing that you've been able to use QuickBooks to manage your business finances, Alex! You can continue to count on us to help out with certain aspects like keeping track of checks and relaying data to your accountant. To find out additional details about your account we recommend checking out our video tutorials (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/tutorials/). QuickBooks is always working to provide the best functionality for you. For more info on what's happening with new updates, we invite you to take a look at our Blog (https://intuit.me/2L2zqTv). Thank you for a great review! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Cheryl from PREMIER POWER ELECTRIC LLC

QuickBooks - Multi Talented

I've used QuickBooks since 2011 and find it to be a solid low-cost product. QuickBooks Desktop and Online have attributes that assist the accountant and non-accountant alike to track important business key performance indicators.

Pros

QuickBooks can be the low-cost solution for many different types of businesses. It is easy to setup and manages, with many financial institutions allowing direct import of transactions, which speed use of the product. QuickBooks provides preset "samples" of types of entities that can help the average person, with little accounting experience, to get up and running fast.

Cons

The pro of QuickBooks, quick setup and use, is also a "con" of QuickBooks. Many business owners start with no professional accounting training, or advice, and tend to use QuickBooks as an "electronic check register" instead of a true accounting system.

Christopher from Psychiatry Austin

Very Happy

Has been a wonderful experience and have reported a great increase in our numbers now that EVERYTHING IS being watched closely and all nicely set up in QuickBooks.

Pros

I love QuickBooks. It is really easy to use and allows me to keep up with paying bills, keeping all of our accounts receivables and payables and check and an organized fashion. It is very easy to maneuver around. When it is payday I use the software to distribute paychecks to employees and the money is automatically deposited into their accounts not taken out of my account until their money is deposited and I really like that. and customer service is really good. Especially today I had to contact them as I was scammed almost by someone wanting to update my software and I was informed by QuickBooks customer service that they will never ask you for your credit card information. So although I almost got caught QuickBooks help me in a shared me that everything it's going to be okay and the system.

Cons

I don't think I have anything to say negative and the only negative I would MAYBE say is that I probably need to go on and study more up on what all is being offered because it's way more than the mind could imagine I'm sure. So hopefully they have some webinars, online classes or something out there that they offer for people like me that are really deep into this software and needing to do a bunch of stuff in order to keep the business running and the numbers correct!!!

David from AMJ

Industry: Building Materials

Small business standard - but expiration is frustrating

Get your small business up and running in an extremely short time, and then run it until you have substantial growth without needing to switch software. Your accountant may ask you to use the online version but that is more costly (since you are paying monthly and you pay online for each company) and has fewer features. I run three companies on the single desktop license and that complies with their licensing. Because QuickBooks is ubiquitous, you can find any accountant to teach you some aspect you have trouble with, or perhaps just a friend who has used it before. It is not hard. On craigslist, you can find any bookkeeper and he will probably be familiar with the software and be able to coach you. I do not use QuickBooks Payroll Services (an extra charge) because I use a payroll service instead, which is less expensive. Most banks have a simple download function for importing transactions into your quickbooks accounts. This will work very easily for years. However, after a few years, you will find that you can no longer download transactions from your bank accounts directly into quickbooks. This will force you to upgrade your software if you intend to keep using this feature.

Pros

I have used it for 15 years and it handles nearly all of my needs

Cons

No inventory management for multiple locations Keeps expiring after a few years, requiring repurchase

Joni from Amplified Life Network

Helps you easily organize your finances

I was the administrative assistant for a start-up business. This man had been in business previously and several partners screwed him over. He was attempting to get this portion of his previous business back off the ground so he could pay off the thousands of dollars in debt they left him with. I created QuickBook entries for each credit card and outstanding bill. I entered all of the financial transactions that had taken place in the previous months. I was able to show him each month exactly how much he'd taken in and where every penny was going. It was so rewarding for both of us to see on paper exactly how those debts were being paid off. Along the way, I eliminated several recurring expenses he wasn't even aware of. It was so easy to straighten it all out once everything was entered in QuickBooks!

Pros

QuickBooks has so many ways to personalize your income and expenses, and then you can run reports for everything imaginable! As long as you've entered the data, QuickBooks will easily plug in the numbers and present you with a quality report that you can print or email. It only takes a few short minutes. Quickbooks tech help is outstanding! With Desktop Pro you get 1 year of unlimited tech service. They were able to answer any questions I had. They also taught me how to use helpful features that I didn't even know were available.

Cons

Occasionally I would call tech support and find myself talking to someone who speaks heavily accented english. It didn't usually pose a problem as they were always able to help me work through whatever I needed.

VIJAY from JVD Hotels

Necessary tool for any business!

We use QuickBooks to manage the accounting/payroll/accounts payable for 10 companies (around $30 million in revenues and expenses). It serves our purpose 99.9999% of the time. I'm sure there is more that the software can do that I do not utilize.

Pros

It is simple and easy to use. It has integrated functionality to submit all federal payroll taxes and payroll tax forms (if you purchase the Payroll Add On). It is fairly easy to run custom reports for vendors and employees. Intuit continues to make minor improvements I find useful every time I upgrade the software every 3 years. It is also very quick and easy to enter invoices, write checks, make deposits, perform bank reconciliation and essentially any accounting function.

Cons

QuickBooks is great in automating 100% of the federal payroll taxes and forms. However, they have not updated the software as of 2019 to submit Mississippi Unemployment Tax Forms UI-2/3 (hence, we have to do that manually). I know they have templates for almost every other state except MS.

Sheri from Arrow Equipment Inc.

Industry: Farming

Quickbooks Desktop Pro

Pros

Quickbooks Desktop Pro has been an extremely beneficial piece of software for our business. The many features offered in Quickbooks Desktop Pro has brought everything together for us into one system. Our inventory, reports, quoting, invoicing, billing, payroll, customer and vendor lists, you name it - are all in our Quickbooks software. This has saved us countless hours of our valuable time with everything being in one place. We don't have to go searching for other software tools to handle our inventory, invoicing, payroll, etc. Another awesome feature about Quickbooks Desktop Pro - when the internet is down, Quickbooks still works :)

Cons

The biggest challenge we face using this product, is our limited number of users that are able to access the system. Since we have different employees to manage different areas of our business such as Accounts Receivable, Billing, Quoting, etc., we sometimes find it a challenge trying to balance the right time for these employees to access their portion of Quickbooks to complete their duties.

Jimmy from CTE

Ability to track finances .

Track all our income and expenses in order to produce monthly financial statements, keep up on accounts receivable, keep track of accounts payable, etc.

Pros

Helpful to be able to use the "class" function to track multiple business lines in one P&L statement. The desktop version is so much better than the online version because you don't have to wait for the internet to load after every click (processes much faster) and you don't have to always be connected to the internet to use the software.

Cons

It feels somewhat archaic and doesn't have a sophisticated enough invoicing process for things like monthly contracts, etc. so I have to manually email hundreds of invoices a month.

Response from Intuit

Replied May 2018

I'm pleased to hear how the Desktop software is able to keep you on top of your finances, Jimmy. With time equaling money, I have some information that could save you some. In QuickBooks, you can setup what's called Memorized Transactions, meaning emails automatically sent for you. I have an article that goes over creating and modifying them: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1502201-create-and-modify-memorized-transactions. If there's anything you need, we're only a question away. Sean, The QuickBooks Team.

David from Robinson Consulting Group, LLC

User for Homeowners Association and also my own Management Consulting business

I have all of my income generators classed by their source so that makes it really easy to see which of my activities are generating the most revenue.

Pros

I love the simplicity of inputting all accounting data into this program. It is also super simple to make changes to previously inputs. Some auditors say they don't like QuickBooks because it is too easy to go back and change previously input journal entries, invoices, bills, etc., but QuickBooks has a tracking system that shows all changes that have been made so this makes it great for both the user and the auditors.

Cons

I don't know of anything about this software that I don't really like. I have used just about all of QuickBooks different versions and I love all of them.

Response from Intuit

Replied September 2019

Hey there, David. Organization is key to managing a successful business. We're thrilled to know you've been able to do this with QuickBooks! You can continue to count on us to help with all of your accounting needs. It sounds like you're a pro, but the Community is a great resource if you ever need some additional support: https://community.intuit.com/ Cheers to continued success! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Anil from Self-employed

A perfect data managing software for small and medium sized businesses.

However, this software is very much value for money and I highly recommend this software if your business is the small or Medium size and even you're on a budget. You can prefer this software. Before purchasing, I do recommend you to use free-trail and try to test the Quickbooks in all possible ways and according to your business needs and if you're fully satisfied with it. You can proceed with purchasing.

Pros

1) As per my personal experience, Quickbooks pro is extremely easy to use. 2) Luckily you have customer support and chat for all your queries. 3) Quickbooks is even specialized for each country rules, for example, like in India, the taxation system will be in the form of GST( Goods and Service Tax) which also requires specific GST No for every business individual. So, Quickbooks pro even offers to integrate the GST No into its software for better transaction and invoice generation. 4) Moreover, we can use this software Via Mobile and tablets by downloading Quickbooks Application. 5) It is very cost effective, you can get free-trial aswell and can acquire 70% off for first purchase users.

Cons

1) Here you will be having the limited number of accessible users for each account. 2) You cannot get lot tracking and barcode scanning. 3) You cannot generate custom reports. 4) While using Quickbooks, only very few times I have experienced App crashes. 5) Not likely suitable for larger business.

Pat from A&G Solutions LLC

Some things are easy and others are frustrating

All in all it's a good program but you really need someone you can call to set everything straight

Pros

If you are just dealing with entering customers, invoices, and bills it's easy but you get into payroll and paying your payroll taxes etc. it can get frustrating. For example, when I started working for this company I was told that Quickbooks would pay your payroll taxes. You just go in and click on the tax you want to pay and poof it's done. Nobody told me that there were taxes that were not on the Quickbooks list that you would have to go in and figure. There always seems to be something that pops up that we don't know how to take care of. So the solution is to find a good QuickBooks person that comes to your office and fixes your mistakes or shows you how to do something you are stuck on.

Cons

When you want to create something, say an invoice or something. There is not a lot of explanation on how and where to find the tools to allow you to move lines, create boxes for money and different things like that.

Michelle from Belfay

Pretty Amazing Software

This software is pretty amazing and can be used by anyone

Pros

This software can be used by ANYONE; professionals, first time users, CPA's

Cons

current versions stop being supported after 2 years - thus forcing you to upgrade and pay more

Response from Intuit

Replied August 2018

Hi Michelle. While our products are fully supported during their three-year lifetime, we want to ensure you guys receive the most feature-laden, secure, and state of the art software on the market. Our Engineering Team actively works to roll this out, but I want you to have all the background you deserve into why upgrades occur. This FAQ is an awesome place to start and is hosted by our Community article database: community.intuit.com/articles/1501193. I encourage you to explore this space more when you get a chance, as well. It doubles as a Q&A forum, where you can chat with QuickBooks reps or connect with other small business owners. The linked article uses our most recent upgrade (2015) as context but has viable info at the bottom about what cost-efficient options return customers have when purchasing the most recent Desktop service. We're proud to be backing Belfay, so please know that we think you and your team are pretty amazing, too! Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Lori from Real Estate

Most User-Friendly Accounting Program There Is!

It's always been good - I've used Intuit products since Quicken was a dot command program, then a Windows version, then QuickBooks and QuickBooks Pro.

Pros

Everything! From installation to everyday usage, this program is my all-time favorite for small businesses! Easy to learn, easy to setup and use and customer service is there if you need them!

Cons

It's hard to pinpoint something I liked least - it's just such an easy program to understand. If I have to pick something I guess I would say that I hate having to upgrade every couple of years. I would like automatic updates when there's a new version.

Response from Intuit

Replied November 2019

Hi there, Lori. Thanks so much for a great review! We love knowing how helpful QuickBooks has been to you and your business.You can continue to count on us for all of your bookkeeping needs. To find out what's going on behind the scenes regarding changes and updates to the software, we invite you to check out our Blog: https://intuit.me/2L2zqTv Wishing you continued success! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Darlene from Darlene Robins Bookkeeping

A solid accounting program that is fairly user friendly

As the title states, Quickbooks is a great accounting program. It is very user-friendly, although a person does need some bookkeeping or accounting background in order to know how to use the finer details of the program. The community forum is an excellent source of information for those who lack the background and support from Quickbooks themselves is excellent. I highly recommend Quickbooks Pro.

Pros

Virtually all features necessary, excellent reporting capabilities, user friendly.

Cons

Personally, I dislike that using the right Shift is essentially a caps lock in Quickbooks, it takes some getting used to always use the left Shift key to capitalize without ending up with all caps. I also wish that in multi currency, there were more than 5 decimal places. I dislike having to just 'come close' to the exchange rate because I am locked into only being able to use those 5 decimal places

Daniel from Epic Martial Arts

Quickbooks Pro is All around a diverse product with lots of features.

All in all the Pro's out weigh the cons. It does its job and i can live with its quarks.

Pros

I like that you can set up auto billing for recurring payments, track all payments per the category or per the customer, and that it exports to an accountant seamlessly. Also when calling customer service, after jumping through there hoops, the person I am speaking with has always been able to help me with my issue.

Cons

Customer service and account verification can be hard some times. They set up many Intuit "Log-Ins" all require a different e-mail. (i.e. Were sorry you cant use that e-mail as it is already registered in the intuit database). This means when they ask you to verify you dont know if they need QB online portal, QB Accounts, QB payment portal, Intuit all accounts (not really). when speaking on the phone they cant even tell you which one it is that they need (apparently for your security) so sometimes i hafto guess to get it right which one they want. Also no EFT auto draft.

Sherri from Redeemer Christian High School

Long time user

As charity and school using QB Pro, we have complicated bookkeeping. QB Pro handles it well.

Pros

Very easy to use and track transaction history or account breakdown

Cons

Would love desktop features available in an online format

Response from Intuit

Replied February 2019

Hi there, Sherri. I appreciate you taking time to review. I'm thrilled to read QuickBooks is providing the capability to easily track transaction history and account breakdowns. Please be assured the Product Development team is working to add the features and functionality of the Desktop version in QuickBooks Online. As time goes on, the program grows in scope. While you're here, if you haven't already, I recommend checking out our Community site. Whether you're trying to learn a new feature, or simply need an answer to a question, you're sure to find what you need among the wealth of self-help articles and customer conversations in the forums. The following link will guide you there if you'd like to explore further: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/US-QuickBooks-Community/ct-p/community-us I wish you continued success with QuickBooks going forward. Thank you for your longtime loyalty and for reviewing QuickBooks! Clay, The QuickBooks Team

Kimberly from Wise Owl Accounting, LLC

Best for Small Businesses

QB has become a universal accounting software product. I use it daily for my own personal business and my 5 clients. Again, it is easy to use and understand.

Pros

I've been a QB user for many years. What I like most about this software is the ease of use and all of different functions and business applications it has.

Cons

Sometimes, QB has almost too much information. There are hundreds of reports to choose from, along with different business applications. Overload...

Response from Intuit

Replied August 2019

Thank you for being part of our QuickBooks family over the years, Kimberly. Business owners like yourself are who we had in mind when designing our software, so we're thrilled to hear that it has been easy to use and effective at helping you manage you and your clients' books. Sometimes it can be tough navigating the different features. We recommend checking out our Community page for tips on getting the most out of your software: (http://community.intuit.com/). There you'll also find discussions with your peers on a variety of topics and access to our support team should you have any questions. Wishing you continued success! Jen, The QuickBooks Team

Judy from MERIT

Reservations to the review

I am probably a more versatile user than most. I use it for profit-making and non-profit organizations both. There are some things QB does very well at the desktop version that the on-line version does less well. I have a lot of construction companies that I help with QB and the desktop version is far superior than the on-line version for them. Some of the reporting could be a little better. If you get a P&L by class code you end up with a total for the class code, and a total for the entire company, but when you only want to see one item you still get all those totals for all the "children, parents, grandparents, etc.". Also, QB doesn't have a certified payroll report which can be produced automatically. Big deal for anyone in public agency contracting of any sort requiring the payment of prevailing wages. General journal entries could be better also...you cannot have two A/R or A/P accounts in any one journal entry and sometimes you have to have the ability to transfer amounts. I've had some difficulties paying a refund to a customer, also. I think I finally found a work-around, but it should be easier. I think you need to be more up front with customers when they buy into QB as to what the rules about customer service will be. I hear a lot of stories about people calling for customer service, to get half an hour into the call to be told, "sure we can help you if you pay us for the service".

Pros

- easy to use for non-accountants ONCE it is set up properly - easy to fix things after you have gotten started and realize you need to track things differently - lots of options for tracking (class codes, customer codes, et al)

Cons

- item codes are too confusing for people to get set up properly - sometimes too many options for tracking for the newer users

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,201 reviews