• Pros

• "This is a great out of the box software. Pretty intuitive and easy to use for a small business. I've used it in multiple small companies and it's always easy and the customer service is great."

• "love the non-profit features super easy to navigate - very user friendly many more features that are helpful too"

• "The software is very easy to use and learn, and is extremely reliable."

• Cons

• "I don't have really anything bad to say about this program, the only thing is the search engine which can use a lot of work to make it work fluently."

• "I wish there was a better and easier way to customize reports. Generating reports is easy and simply in Quickbooks, but I just wish there was more customization available. "

• "It is initially a bit costly and will require some training but once implemented it should help pay for itself."

Browse QuickBooks Desktop Pro Reviews

Maaya from The Fifty/50 Management Group

Advanced Accounting Software

Pros

As someone who used Quickbooks Online prior to using this version, Desktop Pro is definitely more advanced. It's user-friendly; however, it's a more established software so it's better for companies that's been open longer and has an accounting team. For startup businesses that's learning about accounting, I would recommend Quickbooks Online instead. If I were to compare this to photoshop softwares, it would be like Quickbooks Online is equivalent to Pixlr and Desktop Pro would be Adobe Photoshop. For companies with more than 50 people, I would highly recommend this software. It's a lot faster than QBO and more features.

Cons

There were some times where the serve had issues so we had to log out/in at the small business that I used to work at. But that happened every once in awhile.

Alan from MGM

The investment is worth the time and convience

Regardless overall, as a small business owner or not the utilization of using QuickBooks especially for a financial software is very easy to use. It has all the basics pretty much could anything I need on it. I haven't had an issue with QuickBooks I just recommend certain things like higher security as such.

Pros

The easy of use, not complicated at all to utilize. it's also good with third-party applications and integrations, makes it much more easier. Price wise it is affordable since I would say it's worth the money it's for. It also has a very large support Network. Personally best software to keep financial records, especially for small businesses

Cons

The security on it does lack, there isn't a two-step authentication. And there was a limitation to the number of products in the list especially for inventory purposes. There are also file size issues that need to be addressed, and personally I also believe there needs to be more utilization into e-commerce.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

QuickBooks is a big name already and I've been recommended by colleagues to use overall I'm very satisfied my complaints are very minor about it. I wouldn't switch

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

It was okay but it lacked in features that QuickBooks had that wave didn't.

Lea from Ampot Portable Toilets

Industry: Environmental Services

QB aka User-Friendly

It adequately provides our yearly financial statements.

Pros

The ease of use is what I like most about it. It's very logical to users, at least to this user, moi. Integration with Excel is perfect. Unfortunately, we're unable to integrate it with our main software TRUX.

Cons

What I like the least about this software is the limited reports available. There should be more available for financial analysis.

Michael from Magness Piano Services

Industry: Music

My 2nd Try At a Bookkeeping Software

I didn't need a Bookkeeping program, I had a business account, deposited all my receipts from the business into that account. I paid all my business bills from that account. The BANK did my books! We moved back to Wisconsin in '98 where I had to collect sales tax. So I got a Bookkeeping program to keep track of my sales tax.

Pros

It did what I needed it to do, kept track of my sales tax for the State and up to 8 Counties I serve. Due to it being installed on my desktop it was programed with the tax regulations for my state of Wisconsin. When it's time to file the sales tax you have to have the complete sales for the year and the complete sales number of non-taxable sales. QB Desktop Pro always had those numbers ready for me.

Cons

I had no one to teach me, I was figuring it out as I went along, so I didn't get some of the vendors put in correctly at first. I had to re-work parts of it for income tax time and I never did figure out how to connect my bank.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

I received the disc for the Sage software in May w/no instruction manual. I installed it on my desktop and over the summer I would sit down periodically and attempt to set up a personalized invoice. I NEVER ACCOMPLISHED A THING! That software was so beyond my ability that I finally packed it up and mailed it back to Dell. I wrote a letter telling them that I couldn't get ANYTHING out of it, I didn't know what their policy was about returning opened software but it was no use to me. They sent me a check for the total amount.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

QB Simple Start didn't separate the invoices by county. So I had to go back thru the whole years invoices and separate them into which county. I then checked to see which program would separate them and found Pro

July 2016

Chris from Mightydustless

July 2016

Great product from a satisfied user

Pros

Intuit is a proactive company and quickbooks desktop is a solid performer. Logic is fluid, able to customize fields for greater use in my industry, links to bank, professional documents for estimates, invoices, etc... Large selection of report templates and easy to customize.

Cons

I have been a loyal desktop user for years and in the past I was able to use my license on my tablet and smartphone which allowed me greater use while in front of prospects and customers. Inuit/Quickbooks then went to stand alone one time purchase desktop fee or monthly online/cloud based subscription. They are trying to force desktop users to monthly subscription since they limit functionality to force upgrade. Cost per year for desktop is starting to climb higher than monthly cloud based version. I also had used intuits credit card processing in the past but switched to square due to costs, intuit will break out net cost and credit card discount fee for bookkeeping on their product and not on other credit card transactions for processing. There are third party apps for that but with a monthly cost.

Rhiannon from Fiddleheads Violin Studio

Industry: Music

Great product, support is lacking

It's affordable for small business compared to the big accounting suites. (ADVICE: Unless you are not up on payroll and other law changes each year, there is no reason to upgrade yearly. I upgrade every 4 years.) I only wish they would stop asking me to switch to the online version because it has far less features and costs a lot more to run, especially if you only upgrade every few years as I do.

Pros

Quickbooks has countless features, many I am still discovering after using it 12 fiscal years. I am not an accountant but I have done my own bookkeeping for years and found it very easy to learn. I particularly like the bulk input for transactions, which is a huge time saver. The layout editor for forms allows me to customize my invoices, estimates, and receipts. Inventory is easy to track. I also appreciate the customizable fields for customers in the address book, unlike some other programs.

Cons

The support team used to be decent but last year I found it to be awful. I needed to convert some data and made an appointment, I kid you not, 8 times and each time the support person didn't call me until days later. Eventually they stopped even replying. This is a big red flag to me when a company's support drops. (And this was well before Covid, so they cannot use that excuse.) They could also have much better functionality for importing CSV and other data to spare me entering it manually. Lastly, the limitation to be locked into one currency forever is frustrating. The tax payment functionality is very buggy and I had to start my own wiki to navigate the various menus as they are not at all intuitive. Ideally they would allow vendor bills to be entered but to delay inventory items in the system should a vendor require payment up-front before goods are shipped. This has caused inventory quantity issues many times. The pressure to switch to the online version is ridiculous. They even removed the automatic foreign currency rate adjustments/updates in an attempt to force us to move to a new version. Not cool! If the functionality was there, why cancel it? Lastly, be prepared to deal with a random data corruption issue every couple years. This is scary as heck when Quickbooks won't open or reconciliation numbers are damaged and no longer add up. Support is useless helping with this but I have found tricks on my own to repair it.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Quicken didn't have the multi-currency functionality I need.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

I needed inventory tracking and auto currency features.

Teunis from Mayor Industries

Hands Down best accounting software for small to medium size business

Thumbs up for this software. It has not only helped rum my business but also made me look good with banks and investors.

Pros

Quickbooks is a 123 easy software to use for your financial needs. If you are looking for a financial system to run your business this is it. Balance Sheet, Income Stament or account it has you covered.

Cons

Sometimes if you have horrible staff they can make mistakes that will take a long time to figure out and repair.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

It was less expensive and easier to setup and use.

Timothy from TUG Brands LLC

Quirky but effective

I am putting up with it since it is already payed for. This might work for most people and companies but I realized that I probabrally will just need to develop my own so that it can do all the things that I actually need it to do.

Pros

The software integrates well with PayPal and can import all of my line transactions which is nice. There is basically a report for everything. I like how the software will not let you enter incorrect information (double-sided accounting entries must match).

Cons

The cost is expensive. Even more so if you want to be able to use the online version. The license will only let you use on one computer. It is customizable to a point but really doesn't allow me to do exactly what I need to easily. I always have to find work arounds. It takes forever to load and uses a lot of resources.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Popularity and ecommendation by our accountant

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

I was worried that a free product might up and disappear one day. Also, the reporting was very minimal.

James from Chemical and Pharmaceutical Solutions

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Simple Accounting Software

I have used it for many years. I have done the upgrades as well and the customer service is helpful

Pros

This is easy to use. I can get all of my invoices done and manage my cash flow. At tax time, I can get a copy for the account and he can update the information. You can link to your credit cards and banks as well

Cons

It would be good if they had some way of tracking hours or some way you could assign the hours for billing

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

My account found this easier to work with and transfer data at tax time.

How Quick Book is useful for the Business as Stand Alone Accounting Software

Our Company uses this software before we introduced ERP solution. So it was fantastic time that we have used this. The user training and customer support was very good and using this software requires simple understanding over the business functions such as Finance, Inventory,Purchases so on.

Pros

This is quite good and helpful stand alone accounting software for the small and medium size entities who is really looking for an accounting software for his company unless he does not have adequate resources to purchase total integrated ERP solution. This is user friendly and simple software which can easily use to its users after quick and simple training.

Cons

This software is not suitable for the businesses which are having complex business processes and specified business models so it is very least applicable for the same quite big and complex businesses.

Michael from Special Events Management

Dinosaur on its Way to Fossil

Pros

I am hard-pressed to find an enthusiastic pro that I can add here. After years of all the limitations, and looking at other products, can't really praise the beast.

Cons

This software is bloated and uses out of date technology. It's entire substructure is based on Internet Explorer technology. That's right...Internet Explorer. The only real "cloud" solution they offer is to pay (a lot of money) to a third party service to host a remote desktop solution. Companies have been limping along this way for years. Imagine being a Quickbooks consultant to many different clients, all with different databases. Management becomes untenable. Intuit, a giant company with boundless capital continues to build on this ancient technology. It should have started from the ground up to plan for concurrent technologies, but it opted not to do so. Here is an example that happened with our organization. We wanted to move from a local hosted sever instance to a cloud-based version. Quickbooks recommended that we go with Right Networks. Right Networks, but there are major limitations and it adds $4000 a year to the cost of using quickbooks as a solution. But when your controller travels to Equador or Peru, and they need to be able to work, it was our only option. Because Quickbooks has chosen to stick to relic technology, we have this unnecessary added expense. When we moved to the hosted solution, our Enterprise license should have given us Online Backup functionality. However, the hosted instance of Quickbooks kept prompting us to activate online backups. Over and over again. Because, it uses Internet Explorer skinned prompts, it would not allow us to move forward. Quickbooks was not able to assist because it was a hosted solution. At the time of this review, Right Networks was still publishing remote desktop sessions on Windows Server 2008 R2. It is almost 2019. They are using technology that is at least ten years old. Another limitation with Quick Books and Windows Remote Desktop hosted solutions is Microsoft does not allow competing remote disk technology to run on their servers. Some time ago, our company got rid of our file servers and we moved everything to Google Drive (the corporate version). It allows end users to have access to TERABYTES of shared team data without it taking up space on their local workstation. It has turned out to be a beautifully elegant solution. As an event management and production company, our end users are constantly managing receipts. Quickbooks has no way of "browsing" to Google Drive to attach a receipt to a Quickbooks transaction or invoice. And because there is not a true enterprise-class, truly cloud-based offering from Quickbooks, we are not allowed by Microsoft to integrate Google Team Drive into our Quickbooks solution. Effectively, Quickbooks is a true dinosaur well on its way to fossildom. Even outside of our specific "power-user" needs, I have other complaints. The invoice template design functionality is quite literally out of 1992. It is truly an inelegant solution that looks ancient from the moment you open it. Let's say you have 4 accounting assistants producing invoices. If user A created an invoice based on template number 2, then when users C, D and E go to create an invoice, then their template is defaulted to template number 2. This a user-experience headache. Quite often, invoices get generated with the wrong template because of this "feature". If you want to design branded email templates that get generated when sending an invoice, there is no way to customize the email unless you design the email template using Microsoft Outlook. So you are either bound to Microsoft Technologies, with its attendant costs from CALs, Service Licenses etc. Suddenly, owning Quickbooks becomes even more expensive. Because Inuit wants you to use their payment platform (for accepting cards), they do not allow many (if any) 3rd party payment processing platforms such as Authorize.net. Our company has negotiated an aggressive 10 cent per transaction fee with Authorize.net, and Quickbooks can't compete with that, so we cannot even accept payments directly through Quickbooks. If I were a new business looking for an accounting solution, I would tell them to run far away from Quickbooks. It is terribly outdated for a twenty-second century organization.

Stephen from ASHPEE Holdings

They Act Like They're the Only Game in Town

Customer service is non-existent. They don't want to hear from you and you won't ever hear from them unless they want more money. Increasingly, I felt like nothing more than a cash cow to be milked and that's no fun. I switched to Stessa for my property management accounting needs. It's awesome, intuitive and free. I'm not kidding.

Pros

QuickBooks allowed me to keep a record of my income and expense entries for the past decade. Recently, I closed shop on my small video production business and dove into rental acquisition and management. This is when it became untenable. QB always acted like I was lucky to have them. Now I don't need them.

Cons

The learning curve is steep. They try to be everything for every kind of business but they just aren't good at certain businesses like property management. On top of that, they never stop trying to squeeze every last dollar out of you, even to the point of sabotaging functionality unless you pay extra for upgrades you don't need and don't want. If you are a small business owner and are in the market for accounting software, there are really good, less costly and more targeted alternatives out there, depending on the industry you're in.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

I have just dumped QB for Stessa. It's like getting out of prison.

Donna from Precision Heating and Air

From Tedious to Tolerable

I am by no means a pro at making spreadsheets and was very pleasantly surprised at how well QuickBooks Desktop Pro made that knowledge (or lack thereof) completely unnecessary. It made my otherwise clumsy efforts of data entry look completely professional.

Pros

QuickBooks Desktop Pro makes some of the more tedious parts of business, such as keeping up with payroll, vendors, and inventory so much easier to keep up with. Pretty much all you do is fill in the blanks and QuickBooks does the rest for you.

Cons

The only thing that I didn't like about this was that sometimes it wouldn't save the the words that I had typed in or it would save a different word from the one that I had typed. It was similar to the way that spellcheck can completely twist a word that you are typing.

Annette from Inner-City Neighborhood Art House

QuickBooks for the Small Nonprofit Organization

The program itself is excellent as seen from its popularity. My greatest need has been customer service technical support. I have been using QuickBooks for more than 20 years. Over this time I have been very happy with the improvement of their support. Depending on the level program chosen, there are varying degrees of support. I think this is the most important part of a program as complex as this. I am also very happy with the way payroll handles all the procedures automatically and that they build in the new legislation and regulations from all the states so the user is sure about what they are doing.

Pros

QuickBooks has a sufficiently wide variety of products/service agreements to satisfy the needs of small nonprofits. I find that the service has improved greatly over the years. The customer service people are extremely able to solve problems or explain processes. Also, since the user can choose between accrual and cash based accounting, small organizations can choose the system the best satisfies their particular circumstances. The payroll package is separate, so the customer can choose whether or not to do their own payroll or have someone else do it. The payment of payroll taxes is well supported and easy to use.

Cons

Because this software is so professional, there can be a steep learning curve for those without accounting or bookkeeping experience. It would be advisable for the new user to become familiar with entry level bookkeeping at least. QuickBooks also recommends that new users locate a current user to serve as a mentor. There are specially trained users who serve this role.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Greater ease of use; greater accuracy; professionals who set up the product so that all processes are done quite easily.

Cathryn from ESAC, Inc.

Excellent Accounting Software for Small Business!

My overall experience with QB is fantastic. I was lucky enough to have used it for many years and even learned to convert the Chart of Account structure in order to do business with the Government. Our control system plus the software enabled us to pass DCAA's accounting system audit to perform on CPFF contracts. We have also used data from QB and external reporting to submit Incurred Cost Submissions to varies Government agencies. Highly recommend to small businesses!

Pros

I used this software for over 20 years with several small businesses. I've used it daily for many years for all accounting cycles, such as AP, AR, GL, bank reconciliation, financial reporting, etc. I love its flexibility (mistakes can be easily fixed), complexity (can even accommodate DCAA compliance), intuitiveness (to me at least), and many report functions including drill downs. It also works very well with ICAT, so that QB data can be used to calculate indirect cost rates.

Cons

Cons are very few. Because I haven't been a daily user for a few years, a couple of issues I remember are: 1. Interfacing with a 3rd party payroll seems to not work well, we ended up having to make a large summarizing journal entry (however, this is not an issue at the current company b/c payroll is handled by Intuit). 2. Too few characters are allowed in the PO and Invoice Number field. Our bookkeeper still currently have to be creative in order to have everything fit.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

We chose QB for its ease of use and its cost.

Jillian from Blake, White and Farnell P.C.

Quickbooks Desktop Pro makes bookkeeping a cinch!

I am winning at bookkeeping using Quickbooks Desktop Pro, what more can I say?

Pros

Quickbooks Desktop Pro allows me to be a great bookkeeper! Isn't that worth it's monetary investment right there!? I am able to input bills/pay bills, deposits, bank reconciliations and run reports all in the same platform. I even order our checks through the software and it reminds me when we are getting low. Also, I love that I can set reminders for monthly tasks and bills that need to be taken care of without worrying about forgetting. It's tracking it all for me and I just take care of it when the reminder pops up. Now I don't have the bank account connected and that is a personal preference but it is an available feature and it has it's benefits. You can also complete invoicing and payroll through Quickbooks desktop but we already had other means to complete those tasks. I can't recommend it enough, you won't regret the investment.

Cons

The only con I have about Quickbooks Desktop Pro is that going from the online version and converting to desktop is not clean. I've yet to get an import that wasn't missing something. I hope this is something Intuit will improve on in the future. But if you don't have to go back and forth then it's not an issue. I only have one client that this a bother for, other than that I keep everything on the desktop version.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Thomson decided to no longer support that software and made it obsolete. Quickbooks was a great switch though, it can do so much more.

Easiest accounting software I've used

Pros

I have used Quickbooks for 19 years for twelve different companies in various industries and with various needs. QB is always easy and intuitive from every aspect, from the initial set-up of the company file to the day-to-day transaction entries. You don't need to be an accounting genius with a perfect knowledge of debits and credits in order to understand how to enter your transactions in QB. I especially like the set-up tools that guide you during set-up of various things, like payroll items. It takes the stress out of things. I also really appreciate that whether you're a new user or an experienced user, mistakes happen, and QB makes it so easy to correct or delete any transactions that you entered incorrectly.

Cons

The only two cons I have found in my varied experience are: 1) QB does not track Use Tax, so you have to use roundabout ways to calculate and track that; and 2) if you live somewhere that Sales Tax is charged at the state level as well as at a county or city level, it can be tricky to get your sales tax properly set up and properly entered on your invoices. I have read that QB Online now offers better Sales Tax tracking, but I have no experience with that yet.

Response from Intuit

Replied March 2019

Thanks a ton for this wonderful review! I'm pleased to hear you've been a part of the QuickBooks family for over 19 years! It's great that the program has consistently delivered the tools you need to get the job done. In regards to tracking taxes, I've submitted your review to our Product Development team. The consider feedback like yours when planning new features and updates. In the meantime, should you ever need support or want to learn more about the program, know you can find a plethora of self-help resource online on our Community website: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/US-QuickBooks-Community/ct-p/community-us I hope you continue to find success using QuickBooks. Thank you again for reviewing! Clay, The QuickBooks Team

Mike from Silver Light Remodeling

Quick Books Pro online is awesome, scalable for large and small organization

Great value, when possible still work with a book keeper and accountant.

Pros

My business is only 2.5 years old and I have used QuickBooks from the beginning. I did my own accounting up to a few months ago as my business has grown and I don't have time to do it anymore myself. My experience with the desk top version 2015 was ok, but I wanted didn't fit my needs well as I traveled 90% of the time. When I subscribed to Quick Books Pro Online, my experience has been nothing but positive. The interface is easy to use, and its rich feature set allowed me to activate job costing features as I needed them. Now that we are in the 2 to 3 million range my book keeper and Accountant log in and use my same subscription. I save on accounting costs as I can pull my own reports which are easy to find and customize and do not need the Part time CFO(except quarterly) feedback as I can get it on my own. We will probably double or triple are gross sales next year and have no plans to change our accounting platform. Support comes free with the online version.

Cons

Subscription charges double your second year of using the product. The first year you get a bundled deal to experience all of the different pay services offered by Intuit. The first year is great, but after that it can get pricey. We aren't going to change accounting platforms, but for smaller companies, you will want to scale down to the minimum subscription amount to fit your needs. You also have to buy checks directly from Intuit as they don't support third party cheaper check services(There are services you can print your bank information on the cheaper checks, but all come with set up fees). Online App for your phone still needs work. For me this is the weakest link in Intuits online platform. It is getting better, but still not where it needs to be. You can add expenses now and also send invoices which are improvements, but still lacking,

Zandi from Cox Electric, Inc.

Quickbooks....I Use It To Run My Company.

Overall the best small business accounting software I have found. I would recommend it over all other products. I have used it for the past seven years and I do not hesitate to dump software that does not perform. I own and operate a smallish construction company and will likely someday need to step up to one of the big boy software packages, but until then, it serves me well. You can get this accounting software to do just about anything you need it to with enough time and know how.

Pros

The software is stable with very few glitches and crashes. I have never lost any significant amount of data in 7 years. It produces reports and printed materials that are widely accepted and you can get checks and other forms compatible with ease. It networks well and with a fair amount of simplicity even with several users. The Contractor Premier does a decent job of job costing if you set it up properly. You can customize all reports, invoices, statement, etc. to meet your needs and promote the branding of your company. Payroll add on service is excellent and has kept us dead on with all payroll related responsibilities.

Cons

You get out what you put in. As with all software, you must know what you are doing to operate it successfully. I am very computer savvy and have a lot of experience with the proficient use of multiple advanced software programs so I thought I could just open a file and get going. Nope. Quickbooks does not work well out of the box, you will need to invest some time in getting it set up for you and your business. The cost of upgrades is unavoidable so be ready. You will need to upgrade every year to get the software support from Intuit and every time you add a seat on your license. There is no way around it that works and I have tried. There are a million secondary dealers of quickbooks, so called quickbook professionals and they have been certified by Quickbooks to use their branding and resell the software program and related support services which make purchase and support confusing and sometimes dangerous.

Genevieve from San Diego Vacation Rentals & Realty Consultants

Great accounting software

The overall experience has been great. QB helps keep our financials well organized, and I would definitely recommend this software to anyone, small business or large.

Pros

QB Desktop Pro is great accounting software for a small business. It is easy to navigate and there is no shortage of options to customize it to make it work just right for your business. If you ever want to know how to perform a certain task in QB, I've found that a quick Google search will yield very helpful results, and it always ends up being very easy and intuitive.

Cons

With my particular version (QB Desktop Pro 2017), the program crashes when switching between companies. You have to fully close out of one company, wait for the automatic backup to complete (if applicable), and only then enter your password for the next company and login. Even then it still sometimes closes out. If like me you only have two companies (or one!) and you rarely switch between them then it's not a big deal, but it would be very frustrating if you're switching between multiple companies many times a day.

Response from Intuit

Replied August 2018

I'll exhaust my resources to ensure you can seamlessly switch between companies, Genevieve. When it comes to crashes of any type, a great place to start is with this Community-hosted overview: community.intuit.com/articles/1460106. It tackles causes of a crash, as well as solutions. While I always suggest making backups to safeguard against data loss (community.intuit.com/articles/1460106), I also encourage you to explore the Community space a bit more. Search for any specific error codes you may see before the system closes out, as this multi-function Q&A space is a comprehensive troubleshooting database with fixes penned by the engineers themselves. Have a lovely weekend ahead, and keep up the great work at San Diego Vacation Rentals and Realty Consultants! Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Shannon from Askew Intellectual Property, LLC

QuickBooks Desktop Review

Some of the benefits that has helped is producing individual statements to send to out clients. This feature is nice since you can produce only a few statement at a time, since it may not be necessary to produce a whole batch at one time.

Pros

I like how the reconcile feature works under the banking section. It allows the user to make changes by leaving the reconcile screen to make any changes within the QuickBooks program, and it still holds everything where you left off, which keeps the user from having to start over. Once complete, it creates the reconciliation detail report and a summary report, which is easy to print, or save in electronic file.

Cons

My biggest frustration is just learning how to use the software. Their is always a learning curve to learning a new software program. To help with learning QuickBooks, I took a class at a local community college to learn and understand how QuickBooks works. It is also helpful to have some accounting knowledge with learning QuickBooks.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

I never considered any other product since it came highly recommended by our accountant.

Response from Intuit

Replied August 2019

No one wants to do the same work twice, so you can count on us to save your progress while reconciling, Shannon. There can be a bit of a learning curve with the software, but we're positive that you can master it. We also have some great resources to help you get there, like our Community space. Here you can find helpful articles and post questions which are answered by fellow users and the QuickBooks Team: community.intuit.com Thanks for the amazing review! David, The QuickBooks Team

Carolyn from Ajira Inc.

QuickBooks Pro Review for Small Business Owner

I use QuickBooks Pro to manage my independent consulting company and selected the monthly subscription option. This has proven to be a very good decision for me, making what could be a very painful process much less onerous. When you initially log in, you are greeted with a home screen dashboard with the salient business points visually presented. The menu along the side is intuitive to use and most things are easy to find. Linking to my bank accounts was painless, and it's a one click update to get the latest transactions added for all of my accounts. My Accountant can log in with their own login (you can give up to 2 Accounting or Bookkeeping firms access) and work with my information in place. This makes my life easier so I don't have to export information and send it anywhere. I did have a struggle with the Taxes portion, I made an installment and when the transaction came in I was unable to figure out how to apply it to my Sales Tax report. Maybe I will figure it out, but it isn't a easy as other functionality has proven to be. Also, I have had issues getting cheques to print properly on my bank stock cheques, so I wish that was something that you could modify more (move fields around to actually match up with where they are on my cheque). Overall I am very happy with my choice, it is reasonably priced (about $ a month including all updates) and the functionality and ease of use have been great for someone who is not a financial expert (I'm an IT expert).

Pros

Easy to link to bank accounts Invoicing is quick Can allow access to your Accountant or Bookkeeper Love the Home Dashboard!

Cons

Taxes are tricky. You can't have a separate area for your home budgeting/expenses, would need to have a separate license and login. - this would be nice to have. Cheque layout can't be modified so I cannot use with my bank cheques (i.e. If I want to move address info up or down to match where it should actually print on my cheque).

We love it - when it works

I personally did not choose this software and would readily change to another software if it was my choice.

Pros

It's a real workhorse and it does everything that we need it to do in the realm of accounting and payroll for our small business.

Cons

Customer service is Very bad. We upgrade every year, but we spend at least 4 or 5 hours two or three times on the phone until they get it right. We have three user licenses and five computers (some users have laptops), and somehow the company file gets inaccessible and other problems keep returning. One person did something to one computer and it never worked right again, and they actually told us on the phone that they don't guarantee that what they do remotely isn't going to screw up the computer. We're in the middle of another "upgrade" right now, and again, they've managed to screw up the network. We host our company file on one computer, and all the other ones have to access it there, yet they installed the new software as "store file on this computer" for all of them yesterday. Today, we're on the phone (going on three hours) again, this time to undo all the screwups from yesterday. NOT pleased. Also, now we have to save the accountant file to media and hand deliver b/c the file is "too big" and the only way to solve that is to compress all the old data, which we need to be able to use frequently. Not happy with the customer service.

Melissa from Lowers HVAC, LLC

Industry: Environmental Services

QUICKBOOKS PRO IS THE WAY TO GO

It has made it a lot easier to keep track of the progress of the business. We can monitor the customers invoicing, their payments including methods of payments, dates of payments, as well as dates of services and what services were conducted with the codes that were readily available to be put to use. This is ultimately going to make the business a lot more valuable as we will be able to calculate the gross and net values produced by the business for any given season/month/year from now on; and when the time comes for retirement we will have a hard copy to show what the business is valued at.

Pros

Setup is so easy and efficient. Once you have your account information entered you log in and you're set to begin entering your customers/vendors/accounts. As you create them it's simple to sync them and enter payments all within the ease of clicking a button.

Cons

The first time of backing up the system was a bit of a challenge as I couldn't find the file on my computer; however, I do believe that was a personal fault of mine and had nothing to do with the program itself.

Response from Intuit

Replied August 2018

Thanks a ton for taking the time to leave us your review, Melissa. Your comments are affirming to come across, as I loved reading QuickBooks is helping Lowers HVAC continue to grow. We're proud to be backing you and your team, and I know just where you can go should you ever have questions. When you get a chance, explore our Community forum space a bit. This live Q&A space doubles as a troubleshooting library, and a perfect example of what you can find there is this article on system backups: community.intuit.com/articles/1436816. Even though I'm confident you're a pro at backups by now, the article above highlights what the Community has to offer. Delighted we're doing our part to keep you on track. I'm wishing you continued business success, so when the time for retirement comes around, you'll have nothing to do but celebrate. Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Tracy from U3 Advisors

Quickbooks is the way to go!

I manage multiple companies and all of them but one use the online version. For the one that does not pay for the monthly subscription, I use QB Desktop Pro. I love having the option and would recommend it to anyone starting out in a small business or tight on expenses. I would also recommend the desktop version if you do not have a lot of transactions going on. It is a great value overall.

Pros

Quickbooks is user friendly and the easiest way to maintain your books for yourself, your clients, and your accountant.

Cons

It is slowly becoming antiquated with technology. If you can afford to do Quickbooks online; that is the way to go.

Response from Intuit

Replied September 2018

I'm delighted QuickBooks is delivering the feature-set you and your clients deserve, Tracy. They're lucky to have you, and we're proud to be backing you guys. With this said, we strive to deliver the most state-of-the-art software on the market, regardless of what versions you're using. For this reason, could you let me know what parts of the Pro software seem antiquated with technology (QBCares@Intuit.com)? That's my inbox, and I'd love to forward your comments to the developers directly. We roll out a new Desktop generation every single year (https://community.intuit.com/articles/1749284), and your suggestions are appreciated. We use your comments as inspiration for what's to come next, so thanks in advance for sharing the specifics. Should you have any questions in the meantime, I encourage you to reach out to the product experts in our Community forum. This multi-function space hosts the article above, so post a question anytime! Jess, The QuickBooks Team

May 2016

Minh from California International Business University

May 2016

Accounting made easy with Quickbooks Pro

Pros

QuickBooks Online Plus is highly recommended as the best online accounting software for small business. Quickbooks Pro increase accuracy of accounting information, doing tax return with ease and grow your business. QuickBooks Online is very easy to start. With more than 150 third-party developers, QuickBooks can help small businesses improve in customer relationship management, time tracking, payroll payment, tax forms, e-commerce, email marketing and more apps are developing.

Cons

I like the ability of customizing some features from Quickbooks, however, more improvements are needed: - If I can import data from excel into the budget and actual report, it will be better. More customizable features for the budget and actual report. - The integration transactions from bank into Quickbooks are very useful, however it needs to be improved. It not really matches with customized chart of accounts.

Karen from Cleveland Road, LLC

Comprehensive Product but it seems like the desktop version is being phased out

If I was starting now, I would start with QuickBooks Online and save the hassle of trying to switch to it down the road.

Pros

QuickBooks Pro is a great program and I can't imagine using anything else to run my small business. You can set it up so many ways to make it work for what you want to track. I like the desktop version because all my online accounts have been hacked and I don't want my clients or my financial information out in the world because of me. I also like that I can use it if I don't have internet access which happens more times than you would think. I also like that I can run several small companies with just one version of the program.

Cons

Because they have QuickBooks Online, they have disabled or limited many download features in the desktop version. I can't get downloads from my bank anymore, for example. It is taking me longer and longer to do the same things and is having a negative impact on my one person business. I am looking into putting my 15 years of data into a format that will work well online and that is a bit daunting. It seems that how you use Jobs, Customers and Classes can vary greatly and sometimes will not work the same in the different versions. But, is seems that online is where everything is going so I need to put in more time now to make things easier going forward.

Murad from NPO

Qb pro

Using it for non profit.

Pros

Its user friendly. Extremely flexible with variety of industry specific reports. Each report is further customizable.

Cons

Does not print payment and receipt vouchers directly on customized formats. Instead third party app are required.

User friend comprehensive.

User friendly n economical

Paula from Pennypack Ecological Restoration Trust

Industry: Philanthropy

Quickbooks Pro 18 continues to be the "can't be beat" competitor!

QB really can't be beat for price, ease of use and functionality. As long as setup, routine maintenance and review of the system is done by a qualified financial person, the day-to-day input, invoice generation, etc. can be easily handled at the clerical/owner level. Of course, your QB expert/accountant should always be available to handle ad hoc issues that arise, as well as to oversee the system and review the output.

Pros

QB is an extremely powerful tool that can accommodate a wide range of organizations of various sizes, including not-for-profits. It is quick and easy to learn how to input data into the various modules. The bank reconciliation function is readily learned, even if the user doesn't actually know how to do a bank reconciliation. The inventory module, which is included in the basic package, works well for uncomplicated inventories. Invoices, journal entries, etc. can be "memorized" to enable quick recording of recurring transactions. Because QB is so prolific, many other applications interface directly (for example, banking), making QB use even easier and saving more time.

Cons

Beyond data input, standard entries and bank reconciliations, QB is best handled by an accountant who understands the ramifications of non-standard journal entries, voids, memorized transactions, etc. Because the software is so flexible, it is easy to delete and change transactions. Setup and maintenance should be done by a qualified accountant who is familiar with the intricacies of the system. QB likes to say that this software is user-friendly, and it is, to a point. Don't make the mistake of thinking that you won't need an accountant if you use QB (or any other accounting software, for that matter).

lynn from Langkuhn

QUickbooks desktop easy to use

I have been using Quickbooks desktop for 15 years and have been very happy with the evolution of the product. One of the more stable business programs I have ever used.

Pros

This is a great product for managing a business yourself. Quick to learn and easy to understand. Good integration with other programs such as time tracker and co-construct.

Cons

The reporting is not robust enough to get detailed financial information. Job Costing is a challenge and the time tracking and employee costs features are not designed to work well with job costing.

Response from Intuit

Replied November 2018

Hi Lynn. Your 15+ year loyalty to QuickBooks is valued, as is your review. I'm thrilled you had the chance to watch the program evolve. With this in mind, it'd be my pleasure to forward your suggestions to the Development Team. Your ideas power the innovations rolled out, so thank you for sharing them. In the meantime, there's a ton of insights to help simplify job costing, time tracking, and employee costs. I encourage you to explore the Community database/forum. I'll link some excellent guides below for each of the Cons mentioned. This one discusses making reports more robust: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1764375. An overview of job costing is here (https://community.intuit.com/articles/1764675), and you can better track time and employees by adding custom fields to associated invoices (https://community.intuit.com/articles/1769588). Wishing continued success to you and Langkuhn! Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Byron from The King's Academy

Terrible Company

Good up until they changed to become a pay to use company... AWFUL.

Pros

Ease of use, quality reporting and navigation...

Cons

We have used this company for more than 20 years, now they are a pay to use company... I HATE THIS COMPANY, it's all about the money now.. We are actively looking for a better solution at this point. We continue to have issues, they want you to call them every time you get locked out or theirs an issue with this crappy software... Terrible terrible company at this point.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

We're looking for another alternative after 20 years of using this product. WE do not recommend this company at this point.

Response from Intuit

Replied October 2019

Hello, Byron. We appreciate you being a longtime customer and taking the time to write this honest review. It's discouraging to hear your perspective has recently changed. We'd like to share some info in hopes you'll continue to count on us to assist you with all of your bookkeeping needs. When it comes to purchase prices, these are based on features and functionality included in each version of the software. As the product evolves and improves, modifications to billing and support are reflected in these changes as well. Instead of calling in, we invite you to email us at QBCares@Intuit.com. We'd be glad to continue working with you there to resolve any issues you've seen in your account. Wishing you continued success. Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Karen from Morphic Therapeutic Inc

Overall I have had a great experience with QB over the years. Like anything there is always room for improvement

Please look into fixing the 1099 piece of the software - this would be a great asset to an already great software. I would also love to get some training on the FA Manager, as I find it a little cumbersome to work.

Pros

I have used QB for 20+ yrs off and on at different clients and jobs, it is user friendly and easy to learn, which is great for startup companies. The option to export out data into excel and then customize the data as you want to view it or just export out the reports and put them to PDF and use them as your financials. I love how you can attach documents as well, comes in very handy when managing projects and contracts. When given the opportunity I always recommend it to others.

Cons

Like with everything there is always something that just does not work like you would want it to. My biggest complaint is with the 1099 process, it makes it very challenging - I recall back in the early days you were given the option to adjust the amount on a 1099, as I book JE's for accruals and those are picked up as payments and mess up the amount on 1099 to report. This really needs to be addressed and I cannot believe it has gone on this long. I usually have to get a software outside of QB to manage this piece, which is really unfortunate.

Paula from Pennypack Ecological Restoration Trust

Industry: Philanthropy

Great value -- can't beat it for the price!

Despite the drawback mentioned, QB has so much functionality for the price that, if there's another program that even comes close in value, I don't know about it. It is adaptable to a wide range of organizations. Additionally, because it is so ubiquitous, there are a lot of resources available to enable the user to get the most productivity out of this dynamo program.

Pros

QB is a comprehensive financial program with a high degree of flexibility. It has a wide array of standard reports, which are easily customized. Data from external programs can be imported into QB via Excel. The capacity (of vendors, customers, G/L accounts, companies etc), is high enough that it's never been an issue for me. It's fairly user friendly to someone with at least a basic accounting background. Non-accountants can be easily trained in specific aspects of the program.

Cons

The high degree of flexbility mentioned above is a double-edged sword -- it means that data can be easily deleted, changed, etc, thereby potentially comprising data integrity. For this reason, the program must be overseen and monitored by someone with a comprehensive understanding of the data risks involved. Therefore, QB is more suited to to an environment with fewer users who are well-supervised.

Brian from Compass BRokerage & Realty Services

QuickBooks Pro for Small Business

The cost of QB Pro upgraded every 3 years. A very cost effective solution for a typical small business in need of basic accounting and financial management tools.

Pros

QuickBooks Pro can assist you in running your small business efficiently and effectively beyond basic financial management. Like any software tool, you will need to understand the capabilities of the tool to maximize the benefits. There are a lot of rich features in QB Pro that, when set-up properly, can tell you a lot about how well you business is operating. For the majority of small businesses, QB Pro is a sufficient and necessary tool of the business. As an industry leading software, there are many add-ons that can be acquired for specific purposes/needs.

Cons

QuickBooks Pro can unfortunately be established and managed by inexperienced and/or unknowledgeable people who can set-up the system wrong or make egregious mistakes. These mistakes can be difficult to find and resolve. The software is only as good as the people using it. The inventory system included with QB Pro is not very robust and only meant to serve as a very simple product structure. Naturally, the more complex your business becomes, the more complex your QB set-up becomes.

John from Otto's Fine Art Academy, LLC

Industry: Fine Art

Expensive, very little support, impossible to upgrade

Terrible support, only ask the community support like their TurboTax product, not was to get to a real person, and very hard to chat with a real person inside their company when they have to do something to help you with upgrades.

Pros

De Facto-standard when it comes to small business accounting, other accountants/CPAs understand it, it does really nice with General Ledger, and it does well with the FIRST year of payroll, but then things get messy

Cons

Annually, they want a sinnful amount of money for the next year(s) Payroll (Desktop) unless you just buy a new version of the product that comes with a year of payroll included. However, while you can update the base product, you the user can NOT upgrade the Payroll product, you have to call them. Oh, this year (2020) they aren't handling calls, so even though they tell you to call them, the phone message tells you to use Help inside the program, and to chat with them for help. The next problem you might find is that there is NO chat option within the Help function. Actually, its there but the way their program lays out the help screen the Chat button might be (will probably be) off the screen where you can't access so it. It's on the bottom of the screen, but you can't move the screen. Just very poor programing and the UI stinks. Eventually I found it and then the person is helpful, but they can't actually do the upgrade either, they have to have one of their back office people generate a key, and then an hour or more later they can provide that to you. A real test of your patience!

n/a

Alex from Biltmore Dental Group

Quickbooks Desktop Pro experience

Overall very happy with QB Desktop Pro - I'm no accountant but this software is pretty straightforward and makes it easy to keep track of the office finances. I am able to easily enter in ledger items and print checks.

Pros

I am easily able to search for checks or other financial line items in order to find when something was written. Also incorporates accountant's changes smoothly. Daily use is straightforward, although I do only have a beginner's knowledge

Cons

It took me a while to figure out why my checks weren't printing - there was a little box I had to check. Also it seems like it is always wanting me to update it all the time. I usually can't tell any difference after the updates.

Response from Intuit

Replied August 2019

We love knowing that you've been able to use QuickBooks to manage your business finances, Alex! You can continue to count on us to help out with certain aspects like keeping track of checks and relaying data to your accountant. To find out additional details about your account we recommend checking out our video tutorials (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/tutorials/). QuickBooks is always working to provide the best functionality for you. For more info on what's happening with new updates, we invite you to take a look at our Blog (https://intuit.me/2L2zqTv). Thank you for a great review! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Barbara from Barbara Brown Accounting

Quickbooks 2017 review

I am using QuickBooks Pro for my four clients now. Once a client is a cash basis video rental company. They invoice and get paid by credit card immediately for every sale. The sales dept creates the invoices and posts the payments. I track of all business expenses and income to the corporation, an LLC and his personal expenses and income as well. I reconcile the bank accounts and credit card statements monthly. I can do all this one day a week through QuickBooks Pro. I provide financial statements - a Balance Sheet and Income Statement to my client monthly. Then I pop it into excel and do a 12-month spreadsheet of the monthly Profit and Loss so he can see his trends and set goals as they are presented side by side each month. My other client has a business with three departments which each require a profit and loss statement. I set up the departments easily through the chart of account. In my career, I am now a bookkeeper and working full time. QuickBooks is perfect for this!

Pros

It is flexible and almost anything can be recorded and done. Reporting is easy to customize and can be set up to meet any company needs. I also have a manufacturing cliient and inventory is easy to reconcile and move goods through the process. Reporting is essential in this area of QuickBooks.

Cons

I sometimes have trouble with the Chart of Accounts and eliminated accounts.

Nabeelah from CFOHire

You do not have to be a bookkeeper to use this efficient and functional QuickBooks app

Pros

I am an accountant and have signed all my clients up on QuickBooks. In the world of accounting and bookkeeping software quickbooks really stands out, why? Its affordable Its really easy to use. The iphone/android app connects to the camera on your phone. Which means you can take a photograph of your invoices, its crops it automatically and saves it on the cloud. Super simple and no more filing coffee-stained invoices. That way you can easily submit the digital image to SARS/IRS in case of a query. You can set tax perimeters (e.g. if your client is a non-profit you can set to VAT n/a) Its super simple to setup with your client's bank account. Which syncs card purchases in real time. You can match corresponding invoices to payments. No more stressing about debit or credit. Easy search and filter functions. To find payments by amounts/ suppliers/ dates etc. You can easily go back and fix a typo or error when you don't balance. You can easily add notes and comments and images, in case your colleague is also accessing the app. This app frees up time usually wasted on administrative tasks and allows me to do the real analytical work, of forecasting and budget etc , required of an accountant.

Cons

I hope my clients don't see this review, as they will wonder why on earth they pay me such an expensive retainer. Because actually QuickBooks is so easy that bookkeepers may go out of business.

David from AMJ

Industry: Building Materials

Small business standard - but expiration is frustrating

Get your small business up and running in an extremely short time, and then run it until you have substantial growth without needing to switch software. Your accountant may ask you to use the online version but that is more costly (since you are paying monthly and you pay online for each company) and has fewer features. I run three companies on the single desktop license and that complies with their licensing. Because QuickBooks is ubiquitous, you can find any accountant to teach you some aspect you have trouble with, or perhaps just a friend who has used it before. It is not hard. On craigslist, you can find any bookkeeper and he will probably be familiar with the software and be able to coach you. I do not use QuickBooks Payroll Services (an extra charge) because I use a payroll service instead, which is less expensive. Most banks have a simple download function for importing transactions into your quickbooks accounts. This will work very easily for years. However, after a few years, you will find that you can no longer download transactions from your bank accounts directly into quickbooks. This will force you to upgrade your software if you intend to keep using this feature.

Pros

I have used it for 15 years and it handles nearly all of my needs

Cons

No inventory management for multiple locations Keeps expiring after a few years, requiring repurchase

Cheryl from PREMIER POWER ELECTRIC LLC

QuickBooks - Multi Talented

I've used QuickBooks since 2011 and find it to be a solid low-cost product. QuickBooks Desktop and Online have attributes that assist the accountant and non-accountant alike to track important business key performance indicators.

Pros

QuickBooks can be the low-cost solution for many different types of businesses. It is easy to setup and manages, with many financial institutions allowing direct import of transactions, which speed use of the product. QuickBooks provides preset "samples" of types of entities that can help the average person, with little accounting experience, to get up and running fast.

Cons

The pro of QuickBooks, quick setup and use, is also a "con" of QuickBooks. Many business owners start with no professional accounting training, or advice, and tend to use QuickBooks as an "electronic check register" instead of a true accounting system.

VIJAY from JVD Hotels

Necessary tool for any business!

We use QuickBooks to manage the accounting/payroll/accounts payable for 10 companies (around $30 million in revenues and expenses). It serves our purpose 99.9999% of the time. I'm sure there is more that the software can do that I do not utilize.

Pros

It is simple and easy to use. It has integrated functionality to submit all federal payroll taxes and payroll tax forms (if you purchase the Payroll Add On). It is fairly easy to run custom reports for vendors and employees. Intuit continues to make minor improvements I find useful every time I upgrade the software every 3 years. It is also very quick and easy to enter invoices, write checks, make deposits, perform bank reconciliation and essentially any accounting function.

Cons

QuickBooks is great in automating 100% of the federal payroll taxes and forms. However, they have not updated the software as of 2019 to submit Mississippi Unemployment Tax Forms UI-2/3 (hence, we have to do that manually). I know they have templates for almost every other state except MS.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Based on my prior experience in ease of use and familiarity with the software.

Gennyfer from Summers Electric LLC

Overall Good Accounting Software

Overall, I am pleased with the software and its capabilities. It does most of what I need it to and definitely saves time over doing my bookkeeping manually or in a spreadsheet program. If I had it to do again, I would probably purchase QuickBooks Enterprise, as I understand that it is designed more for the construction industry.

Pros

It is fairly easy to use and does a great job of tracking banking and financial transactions, payroll, and a pretty good job of tracking job costing. It is compatible with almost any bank or financial institution's online banking, which is a very convenient way to enter transactions and reconcile accounts.

Cons

Some of the reports are convoluted and a bit difficult to find the right filters to get the information you need to display on one report. Especially the job costing reports, it takes a couple of different reports to get the whole and accurate picture of actual job profits. Customer service is not always the best and technical support, beyond anything very basic, is not offered without paying additional fees.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Value for the money, relatively low priced compared to other accounting software.

Joni from Amplified Life Network

Helps you easily organize your finances

I was the administrative assistant for a start-up business. This man had been in business previously and several partners screwed him over. He was attempting to get this portion of his previous business back off the ground so he could pay off the thousands of dollars in debt they left him with. I created QuickBook entries for each credit card and outstanding bill. I entered all of the financial transactions that had taken place in the previous months. I was able to show him each month exactly how much he'd taken in and where every penny was going. It was so rewarding for both of us to see on paper exactly how those debts were being paid off. Along the way, I eliminated several recurring expenses he wasn't even aware of. It was so easy to straighten it all out once everything was entered in QuickBooks!

Pros

QuickBooks has so many ways to personalize your income and expenses, and then you can run reports for everything imaginable! As long as you've entered the data, QuickBooks will easily plug in the numbers and present you with a quality report that you can print or email. It only takes a few short minutes. Quickbooks tech help is outstanding! With Desktop Pro you get 1 year of unlimited tech service. They were able to answer any questions I had. They also taught me how to use helpful features that I didn't even know were available.

Cons

Occasionally I would call tech support and find myself talking to someone who speaks heavily accented english. It didn't usually pose a problem as they were always able to help me work through whatever I needed.

David from Robinson Consulting Group, LLC

User for Homeowners Association and also my own Management Consulting business

I have all of my income generators classed by their source so that makes it really easy to see which of my activities are generating the most revenue.

Pros

I love the simplicity of inputting all accounting data into this program. It is also super simple to make changes to previously inputs. Some auditors say they don't like QuickBooks because it is too easy to go back and change previously input journal entries, invoices, bills, etc., but QuickBooks has a tracking system that shows all changes that have been made so this makes it great for both the user and the auditors.

Cons

I don't know of anything about this software that I don't really like. I have used just about all of QuickBooks different versions and I love all of them.

Response from Intuit

Replied September 2019

Hey there, David. Organization is key to managing a successful business. We're thrilled to know you've been able to do this with QuickBooks! You can continue to count on us to help with all of your accounting needs. It sounds like you're a pro, but the Community is a great resource if you ever need some additional support: https://community.intuit.com/ Cheers to continued success! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Adam from CliftonLarsonAllen

An underappreciated project

The reporting features are highly flexible. AR and AP are easy to keep track of. Bank feeds make it easy to reconcile checking and credit card accounts. For very small businesses with a small number of employees, the payroll functionality is easy to use - makes it easy to pay employees properly and on time, and keep track of payroll tax liabilities.

Pros

It's a good product with a lot of functionality for a reasonable price. If people would take the time to learn more about it, I think they would appreciate it a lot more and be able to get more out of it.

Cons

I don't really dislike anything about QuickBooks. I understand the audit trail functionality isn't as good as it is in some more high-end products, so if you're a business that needs an audit, this might not be the best software for you (although I have participated in some audits at companies that used QB as their GL system). I don't know why so many accountants sniff at QuickBooks. It's a good product and Intuit does a lot of work to add new features and continuously enhance it. I would not hesitate to recommend QB to any small business owner.

Joshua from Lesley Erectors, Inc.

Nothing Compares

Great experience. This product is well worth the money.

Pros

Very user friendly. This software is easy to train others to use. It allows for many users at one time, as well.

Cons

I would like to see some additional flexibility in the financial reporting area(s). A better statement of Cash Flows would be ideal.

Response from Intuit

Replied August 2020

It's great to hear that you've been able to easily dive into the product. To help improve the accuracy of your Cash Flow statement, please take a look at this article: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/financial-reports/how-to-run-a-statement-of-cash-flows/00/186392. Wishing you continued success! -Hannah, The QuickBooks Team.

Sheri from Arrow Equipment Inc.

Industry: Farming

Quickbooks Desktop Pro

Pros

Quickbooks Desktop Pro has been an extremely beneficial piece of software for our business. The many features offered in Quickbooks Desktop Pro has brought everything together for us into one system. Our inventory, reports, quoting, invoicing, billing, payroll, customer and vendor lists, you name it - are all in our Quickbooks software. This has saved us countless hours of our valuable time with everything being in one place. We don't have to go searching for other software tools to handle our inventory, invoicing, payroll, etc. Another awesome feature about Quickbooks Desktop Pro - when the internet is down, Quickbooks still works :)

Cons

The biggest challenge we face using this product, is our limited number of users that are able to access the system. Since we have different employees to manage different areas of our business such as Accounts Receivable, Billing, Quoting, etc., we sometimes find it a challenge trying to balance the right time for these employees to access their portion of Quickbooks to complete their duties.

Jimmy from CTE

Ability to track finances .

Track all our income and expenses in order to produce monthly financial statements, keep up on accounts receivable, keep track of accounts payable, etc.

Pros

Helpful to be able to use the "class" function to track multiple business lines in one P&L statement. The desktop version is so much better than the online version because you don't have to wait for the internet to load after every click (processes much faster) and you don't have to always be connected to the internet to use the software.

Cons

It feels somewhat archaic and doesn't have a sophisticated enough invoicing process for things like monthly contracts, etc. so I have to manually email hundreds of invoices a month.

Response from Intuit

Replied May 2018

I'm pleased to hear how the Desktop software is able to keep you on top of your finances, Jimmy. With time equaling money, I have some information that could save you some. In QuickBooks, you can setup what's called Memorized Transactions, meaning emails automatically sent for you. I have an article that goes over creating and modifying them: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1502201-create-and-modify-memorized-transactions. If there's anything you need, we're only a question away. Sean, The QuickBooks Team.

Anil from Self-employed

A perfect data managing software for small and medium sized businesses.

However, this software is very much value for money and I highly recommend this software if your business is the small or Medium size and even you're on a budget. You can prefer this software. Before purchasing, I do recommend you to use free-trail and try to test the Quickbooks in all possible ways and according to your business needs and if you're fully satisfied with it. You can proceed with purchasing.

Pros

1) As per my personal experience, Quickbooks pro is extremely easy to use. 2) Luckily you have customer support and chat for all your queries. 3) Quickbooks is even specialized for each country rules, for example, like in India, the taxation system will be in the form of GST( Goods and Service Tax) which also requires specific GST No for every business individual. So, Quickbooks pro even offers to integrate the GST No into its software for better transaction and invoice generation. 4) Moreover, we can use this software Via Mobile and tablets by downloading Quickbooks Application. 5) It is very cost effective, you can get free-trial aswell and can acquire 70% off for first purchase users.

Cons

1) Here you will be having the limited number of accessible users for each account. 2) You cannot get lot tracking and barcode scanning. 3) You cannot generate custom reports. 4) While using Quickbooks, only very few times I have experienced App crashes. 5) Not likely suitable for larger business.

Pat from A&G Solutions LLC

Some things are easy and others are frustrating

All in all it's a good program but you really need someone you can call to set everything straight

Pros

If you are just dealing with entering customers, invoices, and bills it's easy but you get into payroll and paying your payroll taxes etc. it can get frustrating. For example, when I started working for this company I was told that Quickbooks would pay your payroll taxes. You just go in and click on the tax you want to pay and poof it's done. Nobody told me that there were taxes that were not on the Quickbooks list that you would have to go in and figure. There always seems to be something that pops up that we don't know how to take care of. So the solution is to find a good QuickBooks person that comes to your office and fixes your mistakes or shows you how to do something you are stuck on.

Cons

When you want to create something, say an invoice or something. There is not a lot of explanation on how and where to find the tools to allow you to move lines, create boxes for money and different things like that.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,245 reviews