• Pros

• "Easy to use, all information in one place and the price is great. Also I do not have to have a separate mileage tracker which is great."

• "Easy to Use No Hard Learning Curve: No Books Needed to Learn Self-Explanatory: You Just Point & Click."

• "Very easy and convenient for categorizing business versus personal and attaching receipts. I liked that you could put rules in that would help with time management. "

• Cons

• "need to spend time to identify the travel and expense either for business or personal usage manually, hopefully these's a way to do it automatically."

• "If you are not familiar with using this type of software you may run into issues. There is help, but you can get very confused. Research is best before using the program for actually use."

• "They is not much usage beside looking a report and snapshots of the company. If you have a system in place with your accountant this was a nice additional but did not give much additional value. "

Browse QuickBooks Self-Employed Reviews

Rebecca from Talbert Transport & Distribution

Great product for those who know what they are doing.

It took me time, but I was able to use the program. I had to start over fresh 2 times before I could get my info in correctly to start working

Pros

The product allows you to be completely self sufficient, cut down costs and customize based upon your business. You can use preloaded categories or create your own.

Kevin from Wildflower Wellness

Intuitive User Interface

Overall, definitely worth using when it comes free with TurboTax.

Pros

This comes free when filing with TurboTax Self Employed, so it did not cost anything to set up. It's pretty intuitive and makes it easy to categorize transactions and spending.

Cons

Invoicing is not the greatest. It's difficult to configure it and make any changes. Customizing your invoices can be a real pain.

Caroline from Fast Doll Fine Vintage LLC

There’s better out there.

I’ve stopped using it and switch to another brand of accounting software and service, and I will be sticking with the new service.

Pros

Cons

Well I was using QuickBooks self-employed, I did like that it would automatically add transactions from my business debit card, my PayPal account, and my Etsy account. I did not like that QuickBooks self-employed was very generalized and I was not able to tweak it or customize it to fit my business and my specific expenses and day-to-day transactions.

Jeffery from Aroci

Okay Basic Software For Small Businesses or Self-Employed However, There Are Better and Free Alternatives

Overall, not worth the cost to me. Especially with those who are self-employed or have small businesses.

Pros

This does what it is supposed to do and only that which is track money. It also can track mileage automatically and gives you an overview of the distance you have traveled each day.

Cons

It is basic, it lacks functionality that should be considered 'basic' such as being able to categorize expenses and income. You can also not utilize many needed integrations for other software which basically forces double entry. It is expensive considering there are other free alternatives that have way more features and integrations

Abby from The Helpful Marketer

ONLY worth it if you need auto-mileage tracking

If you need mileage tracking and expense tracking, this is a great option for you. If you need recurring or auto invoicing though - this version of QB isn't for you.

Pros

To have it automatically track all of my mileage for me is just amazing. However, now that I'm not traveling, it's almost worthless, and certainly not worth the $16/mo I'm paying. I know you can scan receipts and stuff too, but I connected my bank accounts so I just select what's business and what's personal through there. It's free to have clients pay invoices through ACH Debit though, so that's awesome. You also get your money way faster than through other means.

Cons

You can't do recurring, automatic invoicing. That's the main sticking point for me. So I end up doing 90% of my invoicing in PayPal and then I'm only using QB for expense tracking and the occasional ACH Debit invoice. It's just annoying. I'm also not crazy about the user interface sometimes it's just not intuitive.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Self-Employed

I wanted mileage tracking and expense tracking. Thought I could use this in place of PayPal for invoicing too, but I'm still invoicing in PayPal.

Bakari from BakariChavanu.com

Industry: Online Media

Useful For Tax Purposes

Pros

I’ve been using QuickBooks Self-Employed for over five years now, and I can definitely say that it has grown and improved over time. I mainly use it to get an estimation of my quarterly taxes, but I also use it for sending invoices and tracking business-related mileage. I like that the web application includes rules for setting up automation so that I don’t have to approve every transaction that appears in my Self-Employed account. QuickBooks makes it very easy for me to export the documents I need for my accountant, and also forgetting the report of my overall income, spending and profits.

Cons

Because QuickBooks imports all my income and pending transactions, I don’t understand why it’s not set up to be used as a budgeting application, like Mint or YouNeedABudget. Except for sending out invoices and keeping track of mileage, I don’t use application on regular basis.

Karim from Self-employed

Nice accounting software

Quickbooks is very good accounting software with all accounting solutions and also cost effective.

Pros

Quickbooks is a very good accounting software for SMES sectors business industry for their daily use of keeping financial records and reporting purpose. The best thing is to keep record of sales, inventory, baking and daitors creditors also reporting option is good and cucustomized

Cons

As for as I concern there is issues in this software

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Self-Employed

Low budget good accounting software for startup and small businesses

Steph from Stephanie Bloom Saddle Fitter

Continual issues

Terrible.

Pros

Ease of setting up, including adding new customers, searchability (reasonably CRM-like)

Cons

Everything else. Only 50% of customers could see how to open invoices easily, maybe 20% of those didn't get an openable version at all and I had to give them my bank details. Appalling error rate with importing bank transactions - missing transactions, some duplicated. Many were given a ridiculous categorisation such as an incoming payment from an existing client categorised as a business expense with a negative value. Usually failed to tie up scanned receipts/invoices with the bank feed meaning huge numbers of transactions had to be edited. Customer service is unwieldy, hard to get to from within the online or app software, community based, and usually told "we'll suggest it to our team" and you see that over the years loads of people have made the same suggestion to no avail. Or you get "that would be a really bad idea" despite the fact their competitors do it. Mileage tracker is terrible - sometimes it turns itself off completely, other days it records some parts of journeys, sometimes clocking off when you're driving, other times clocking off while you're on an appointment. P&L and tax reports categorise quite a few categories as non-deductible so you have to recalculate. I'm sure there's more but it's too painful to recall.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Self-Employed

Cost, ease of use for sole traders

Megan from ThunderStomp Threadz

Nice Software to Have

Overall it had been a great experience so far, and I look forward to continue using it.

Pros

I am enjoying using this software because it helps me itemize deductions for tax season in advance. Now I can be ready to file instead of dreading it, I can see my expenses more clearly, and I have documented of everything. That feels so good. I may upgrade next year to the next level.

Cons

This software could use a bug fix on the transaction tags feature. Many times my tag will not register and I have to go back and do it again. It can be quite aggravating. Also the rules section didn't always work right.

Holly from Life First Therapy

Industry: Mental Health Care

Your Business Needs This

It really keeps me organized so I see exactly where my money goes and taxes owed.

Pros

Easy to access and store a lot of information in the app. I love how I can snap pictures of my receipts and instantly see purchases.

Cons

I hate that I have to use the desktop to look at breakdowns for specific months or quarters. I hate how the app logs expenses and incomes twice so I have constantly delete the double entry in the app.

Nasser from 8 Gates Tech

Great app with a few glitches

This is a great tool for people starting their small business. A few more features would make it the perfect choice.

Pros

-Links to bank accounts and credit cards and categorizes transactions automatically. -Milage tracking is a great feature. -Send invoices to clients.

Cons

- When the milage tracking is turned on, it kills my phones battery and drains it in less than 10 hours. I turned it off and the result is shocking. - Invoice processing takes up to 3-4 day, and then I have to wait for the bank processing for another 2 days.

Andrew from North River Marketing

QuickBooks for the Win!

I highly recommend QuickBooks Self-Employed!

Pros

I absolutely LOVE QuickBooks self-employed. It is convenient, easy to use and even tracks mileage! That’s huge as most of my business is conducted on the road. I also love how I can invoice and accept payment right from the mobile app.

Cons

One of the reasons I selected QuickBooks was its integration with TurboTax. However, I was disappointed to realize that it only adjusted for Federal Taxes, not State. I would love to see State taxes added in future versions.

Freddie from cemetery/funeral

Great software for self employed

Pros

installed app in the iPhone, and link to the bank and credit card accounts, it automatically track your travel distance for business or personal, and expense for tax purpose.

Tina Marie from tmgCareerServices

QuickBooks Self-Employed is a star!

I love they have so many options and ways of showing users to add transactions.

Pros

Extremely easy to use. As all of intuit's products, Self-Employed guides you through the uses. Self-Employed is so accurate and easy to use.

Cons

I don't have a con about this one. It's saved me so much on my taxes. I'm blown away on how intuitiveness.

Takyla from Keffer Reams Team Realty

Good Value

If you simply want to be able to keep up with the your expenses and mileage this is a good place to have it all together at an affordable price

Pros

Cons

Had tracking issues on several occasions where it was stop tracking. And it tracked rather short trips that weren't really trips.

John from 2600Hz

Quick books self employed saves me so much time.

Pros

I love the simple workflow for most things invoices, quotes, expenses, time, etc. I hate accounting, and book keeping so to be able to add these rapid fire with little effort makes me very happy. It also is very handy come tax time b/c I can easily grab all the information and hand it off to turbo tax or an accountant for them to deal with. I also really like the dashboard so I can quickly view the status of my freelance accounts.

Cons

Somethings feel almost buried. I wish there was some customization for more commonly used tasks. I'm more inclined to generate a bunch of quotes versus invoices so I wish I had a way to remove some drill down for more commonly used tasks.

Jennifer from Healing Tree Counseling LLC

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Excellent program

Pros

Cons

My bank no longer connects so I have to do a separate download which takes some time. This causes some issues when not done correctly as there can be duplicates.

Margaret from It's A Secret Salon

Industry: Cosmetics

Great Accounting Software for Self-Employeed

I used to use another software program for scanning receipts and running reports for my tax preparation but it always crashed and the customer support was getting less and less. My accountant told me about this program and I couldn't be happier. Plus, she can access the reports and supporting documents if she has a question.

Pros

I really like the ease of scanning receipts with my phone. Tax reports run fast and easily understood. It cut down my tax preparation time by weeks!

Cons

The lag time for receipts to show up once I've scanned them takes a while.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Self-Employed

Neat kept crashing and there was almost no customer support.

Mark from Mark Burlinson Leadership Coaching

Automates several key processes for the self-employed

Simple and easy to use, Quickbooks Self employed is a tool every freelancer and side-gig earner needs.

Pros

The automatic mileage tracking (other apps offer this but the QB implementation is better than any I've tried). Receipt photos makes record keeping simple. Invoicing is easy too.

Cons

When you are just starting, the monthly fee is an added motivation to make sales! You gotta make some money to pay that monthly fee!

Pierre from RE/MAX Ocean Properties

Easy to use and very intuitive

Pros

It is a very smooth interface which allows for easy management of everything related to self employment. The ability to export all of the data into tax returns is also a very helpful feature.

Cons

The amount of features seem to be very minimal. The cost per month seems a little bit high for the amount of features available.

Rimi from Freelance Architectural Desiner

One stop accounting to help separate out my freelance income

Excellent price for such a adaptive and flexible accounting solution, especially for my somewhat unusual circumstances of needing to separate out and manage freelance income.

Pros

Affordable solution for helping to keep my own part time freelance work and projects income independent from our main core projects.

Cons

Some amount of time is needed to get used to the interface and method of record keeping. Aside from that, its fairly easy to work with, especially with the added TurboTax option, as we've used that software before for our tax filing.

Tyler from Ricky Heath Plumbing

Great way to keep up with cash flow

Pros

I used this when I was a one-person operation. It is fairly simple to use & is great for keeping up with everything flowing in and out of your business. It is also great for checking on unpaid invoices.

Cons

Some of the integrations with upload information in batches. This can cause duplicate entries or missing entries. I've spent entire days sorting out those problems.

Eric from Freedom Enterprises

Great for the small business owner

Pros

Fairly intuitive, easy to use overall. Help file and support have been useful but really the interface itself does a good job telling you what does what

Cons

A few missing features (or I admit, features I don't know how to use): Duplicate transaction - I have weekly expenses that are exactly the same so I want to duplicate the expense (change date) to save time. I want to change the calendar to Sun-Sat, not Mon-Sun - it confuses my American brain

Shalu from Conestoga College

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

A Quick On-Hand Finance & Accounting tool

Pros

Very helpful and easy to get information about the financial situation and worth of the business. Categorization of expenses is easy with minimal data entry and easy to get details about eligible expenses (maximum deductions) at the time of tax return filing.

Cons

I have not faced any problem with this software yet. For me, it's a very helpful tool for maintaining financial records of the business.

Sean from Rocky Point Maintenance

Any small business owner should use this product!

Pros

I love the integration options and being able to track miles and invoices from my phone. I run my contractor business on the side after I finish my day jobe each day, and this software makes it so easy!! Fantastic software for any independent contractor!

Cons

Absolutely none that I can think of, if you are a sole proprietor or even a small LLC, this product is for you!

Tina Marie from tmgCareerServices

Quickbooks Online Self-Employed

Pros

Cons

I don't have cons to add to this review. I learned to use Quickbooks Online Self-Employed within an hour.

Katie from Copeland Law PLLC

Very efficient

Pros

Very efficient! I love that it tracks my trips for me and links to my accounts so I don't miss anything. Since it links with Quickbooks, I am hopeful that taxes will be easy!

Cons

It wasn't obvious how to add a receipt instantly with one click. I figured it out, though. I'm also not sure whether to upload the itemized receipt or the final total receipt.

Lisa from Etsy Shop

No ready for prime time ...

I will run it through the end of the year and find a new solution for 2018.

Pros

Theoretically, the ability to link to my Etsy shop and PayPal account to update my expenses and revenue, ability to track mileage (though could use a description field to remind me what I was driving for) and to take photos of receipts to keep in the system.

Cons

The theoretical doesn't work ... it often fails to do basic things like be able to update to Etsy or PayPal accounts ... you know, the major hitters. Support fixes it behind the scenes when you contact them, but the time I am supposed to save by having this is spent communicating with CSRs.

Henry from California College San Diego

Pros

This product makes it easy for you to track your mileage, organize your expenses, create invoices and help you with taxes. The mobile app really simplifies your day to day activities.

Cons

The software does not support state taxes and the invoices are also very limited compared to other quickbooks software.

Christopher from Corbett Strategic Communications

Industry: Fund-Raising

Continues to have holes

Frustrating. Thankful for at least something to invoice my clients, but this is a limited program that doesn't do some very common, basic things.

Pros

It gives me a template to enter line item invoices and get instant calculations.

Cons

Holes in basic needs, such as counter-intuitive button functions -- it's easy to send a premature invoice, inadvertently erase work, and you can't easily, or sometimes at all, send a copy of your invoice to another email address. Sometimes it glitches and won't send. If you want to re-invoice someone due to late payment, there's no way to write your client a note--the program just sends the same invoice with no explanation to your client. It's just a badly conceived program.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Self-Employed

I didn't know it would be this poorly constructed. Bad assumption.

Brad from Tech Data

Useless App

DON'T touch this product, it is the worst! The App doesn't track your millage correctly! You can't amend any transactions hst, you have to create 2 separate entries. The tech support is useless, I have been dealing with them for over 2 months to get the issues resolved. You can't call quickbooks, EVERYTHING related to self employed is only done online. Use Excel, MileIQ, that's the way forward!

Pros

Nothing! This is the most useless app and a waste of money.

Cons

Renea from solid solutions today

Would Not Work With Bank

Pros

Clean and smart, I had one of my client's, who is a CPA, rave about it so much, I decided to try it again after many years of having not used it. Many app integrations are available. Cloud based which is important for the person on the go.

Cons

It does not sync with my particular bank, however, I did place a request for Quickbooks to add it. Inventory tracking is actually done better with an app but if QuickBooks could sync with it, that would be good. Doesn't include payroll.

Jenna from Wild Harbors

Easy but beware

It was a really easy on-the-go app to use and desktop client for our business as independent musicians.

Pros

I like the mileage tracking and expense categories for taxes all in one place.

Cons

Our accountant warned us that she was seeing a lot of errors in QuickBooks self-employed with her clients.

Vivian from Allmart Superstore

Makes my business run smoothly

Pros

It allows me to sort bank transactions It tracks mileage and business expenses It transfers information to tax software to file

Cons

A bit intrusive when it comes to information gathering. I ask for bank account logins and it makes me wonder if privacy is ok

Alexa from Allonsy Creative

A Must-Have for Self-Employed

Pros

Great software for invoicing, logging expenses and tracking finances. The software is very easy to use and can be used on mobile as well!

Cons

There is a slight delay on tracking purchases, this makes it harder for up-to-the-minute finance tracking.

Mark from Dearinger

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Horrible!!!

The support fixed the same problem over and over for months but the fix never stuck I sent almost 40 + e mails in just 6 weeks with some many issues. Bottom line it never worked and the company will never address it. If you call them everybody's says they can't do anything.

Denise from SSES Global

Great product if you're willing to invest a bit of education time.

Please consider enabling help/support based upon user capability.

Pros

The ease of integrating with various bank feeds is extremely helpful. The occasional prompts are good as well.

Cons

It is not sufficiently intuitive and can use a 'new user' mode. The AI in QB could be used to provide substantially more guidance to the self-employed user.

Ken from Dance Factory

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Do not buy this

Do not buy.

Pros

ease of use and good interface and integrated with my bank account pretty well. Pretty intuitive too.

Cons

Filled with errors both from an accounting point of view and an accuracy point of view. Its the end of the tax year and my accountant found a £77,000 discrepancy between what was in the program and what my bank statements reported. You cannot have a 'tax year' different to the the one Intuit define and you cannot define categories. TOTALLY HOPELESS

Justin from Ryan and wetmore

Just get regular desktop

Overall QuickBooks is a great software to keep your numbers in line for a small business.

Pros

QuickBooks self employed is very similar to the regular desktop version it is easy to use for small business owners and organizes reports in a good manner.

Cons

QuickBooks self employed is just a slight variation of the basic desktop version with a new name it is better off to just go with QuickBooks desktop.

Luis from Caribex Trading

Industry: Logistics and Supply Chain

Finally decided to try Quickbooks Self-Emplyed for 2017

I purchased the Quickbooks Self-Employed packaged with the Turbo Tax software. Looking forward to using the Turbo Tax section at tax time in 2018. So Far So Good!

Pros

I found it easy to get started, easy to set up, and fairly easy to link my bank accounts and credit cards to the automatic download and updates via internet. This was the main feature I was looking for and it has worked without a glitch, and easier & better than I had expected.

Schanel from Iron Soul Wellness

So helpful for full-time artist

So far so good, it will take some getting used to as I am new to bookkeeping.

Pros

Love how it shows you your profit margins and it allows you to categorize your spending through your bank account.

Cons

How you have to pay for the online capability. I can't integrate my shopify account with it easily.

Haley from Wiley Education Services

Quickbooks is amazing for self-employed people

Pros

Quickbooks has been so helpful for me to keep track of my somewhat unstable income. I rely on this to get the best tax return I can get.

Cons

There is a small learning curve, but that might just be because software like this can be overwhelming for someone who isn't great with numbers.

Patrick from KCA

Overall good product

Pros

t's pretty basic, which is what I need. It has more features than I need, but I might need them in the future.

Cons

Some Clunky things about it--could be a bit more intuitive and the automatic field fill-ins could be better.

Sequoia from KLM Marketing

Nice additive to have for self employee businesses

Pros

We were given quickbooks self employee as a benefit to doing taxes. The features are nice to review your accounting matter and does a nice snapshot of the business. The mobile app provided the most use to save receipts on.