• Pros

• "Easy to use, all information in one place and the price is great. Also I do not have to have a separate mileage tracker which is great."

• "Easy to Use No Hard Learning Curve: No Books Needed to Learn Self-Explanatory: You Just Point & Click."

• "Very easy and convenient for categorizing business versus personal and attaching receipts. I liked that you could put rules in that would help with time management. "

• Cons

• "need to spend time to identify the travel and expense either for business or personal usage manually, hopefully these's a way to do it automatically."

• "If you are not familiar with using this type of software you may run into issues. There is help, but you can get very confused. Research is best before using the program for actually use."

• "They is not much usage beside looking a report and snapshots of the company. If you have a system in place with your accountant this was a nice additional but did not give much additional value. "

Browse QuickBooks Self-Employed Reviews

Rebecca from Talbert Transport & Distribution

Great product for those who know what they are doing.

It took me time, but I was able to use the program. I had to start over fresh 2 times before I could get my info in correctly to start working

Pros

The product allows you to be completely self sufficient, cut down costs and customize based upon your business. You can use preloaded categories or create your own.

Nasser from 8 Gates Tech

Great app with a few glitches

This is a great tool for people starting their small business. A few more features would make it the perfect choice.

Pros

-Links to bank accounts and credit cards and categorizes transactions automatically. -Milage tracking is a great feature. -Send invoices to clients.

Cons

- When the milage tracking is turned on, it kills my phones battery and drains it in less than 10 hours. I turned it off and the result is shocking. - Invoice processing takes up to 3-4 day, and then I have to wait for the bank processing for another 2 days.

Jeffery from Aroci

Okay Basic Software For Small Businesses or Self-Employed However, There Are Better and Free Alternatives

Overall, not worth the cost to me. Especially with those who are self-employed or have small businesses.

Pros

This does what it is supposed to do and only that which is track money. It also can track mileage automatically and gives you an overview of the distance you have traveled each day.

Cons

It is basic, it lacks functionality that should be considered 'basic' such as being able to categorize expenses and income. You can also not utilize many needed integrations for other software which basically forces double entry. It is expensive considering there are other free alternatives that have way more features and integrations

Andrew from North River Marketing

QuickBooks for the Win!

I highly recommend QuickBooks Self-Employed!

Pros

I absolutely LOVE QuickBooks self-employed. It is convenient, easy to use and even tracks mileage! That’s huge as most of my business is conducted on the road. I also love how I can invoice and accept payment right from the mobile app.

Cons

One of the reasons I selected QuickBooks was its integration with TurboTax. However, I was disappointed to realize that it only adjusted for Federal Taxes, not State. I would love to see State taxes added in future versions.

Freddie from cemetery/funeral

Great software for self employed

Pros

installed app in the iPhone, and link to the bank and credit card accounts, it automatically track your travel distance for business or personal, and expense for tax purpose.

Takyla from Keffer Reams Team Realty

Good Value

If you simply want to be able to keep up with the your expenses and mileage this is a good place to have it all together at an affordable price

Pros

Cons

Had tracking issues on several occasions where it was stop tracking. And it tracked rather short trips that weren't really trips.

Jennifer from Healing Tree Counseling LLC

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Excellent program

Pros

Cons

My bank no longer connects so I have to do a separate download which takes some time. This causes some issues when not done correctly as there can be duplicates.

Margaret from It's A Secret Salon

Industry: Cosmetics

Great Accounting Software for Self-Employeed

I used to use another software program for scanning receipts and running reports for my tax preparation but it always crashed and the customer support was getting less and less. My accountant told me about this program and I couldn't be happier. Plus, she can access the reports and supporting documents if she has a question.

Pros

I really like the ease of scanning receipts with my phone. Tax reports run fast and easily understood. It cut down my tax preparation time by weeks!

Cons

The lag time for receipts to show up once I've scanned them takes a while.

Tyler from Ricky Heath Plumbing

Great way to keep up with cash flow

Pros

I used this when I was a one-person operation. It is fairly simple to use & is great for keeping up with everything flowing in and out of your business. It is also great for checking on unpaid invoices.

Cons

Some of the integrations with upload information in batches. This can cause duplicate entries or missing entries. I've spent entire days sorting out those problems.

Sequoia from KLM Marketing

Nice additive to have for self employee businesses

Pros

We were given quickbooks self employee as a benefit to doing taxes. The features are nice to review your accounting matter and does a nice snapshot of the business. The mobile app provided the most use to save receipts on.

Tina Marie from tmgCareerServices

QuickBooks Self-Employed is a star!

I love they have so many options and ways of showing users to add transactions.

Pros

Extremely easy to use. As all of intuit's products, Self-Employed guides you through the uses. Self-Employed is so accurate and easy to use.

Cons

I don't have a con about this one. It's saved me so much on my taxes. I'm blown away on how intuitiveness.

John from 2600Hz

Quick books self employed saves me so much time.

Pros

I love the simple workflow for most things invoices, quotes, expenses, time, etc. I hate accounting, and book keeping so to be able to add these rapid fire with little effort makes me very happy. It also is very handy come tax time b/c I can easily grab all the information and hand it off to turbo tax or an accountant for them to deal with. I also really like the dashboard so I can quickly view the status of my freelance accounts.

Cons

Somethings feel almost buried. I wish there was some customization for more commonly used tasks. I'm more inclined to generate a bunch of quotes versus invoices so I wish I had a way to remove some drill down for more commonly used tasks.

Mark from Mark Burlinson Leadership Coaching

Automates several key processes for the self-employed

Simple and easy to use, Quickbooks Self employed is a tool every freelancer and side-gig earner needs.

Pros

The automatic mileage tracking (other apps offer this but the QB implementation is better than any I've tried). Receipt photos makes record keeping simple. Invoicing is easy too.

Cons

When you are just starting, the monthly fee is an added motivation to make sales! You gotta make some money to pay that monthly fee!

Pierre from RE/MAX Ocean Properties

Easy to use and very intuitive

Pros

It is a very smooth interface which allows for easy management of everything related to self employment. The ability to export all of the data into tax returns is also a very helpful feature.

Cons

The amount of features seem to be very minimal. The cost per month seems a little bit high for the amount of features available.

Rimi from Freelance Architectural Desiner

One stop accounting to help separate out my freelance income

Excellent price for such a adaptive and flexible accounting solution, especially for my somewhat unusual circumstances of needing to separate out and manage freelance income.

Pros

Affordable solution for helping to keep my own part time freelance work and projects income independent from our main core projects.

Cons

Some amount of time is needed to get used to the interface and method of record keeping. Aside from that, its fairly easy to work with, especially with the added TurboTax option, as we've used that software before for our tax filing.

Eric from Freedom Enterprises

Great for the small business owner

Pros

Fairly intuitive, easy to use overall. Help file and support have been useful but really the interface itself does a good job telling you what does what

Cons

A few missing features (or I admit, features I don't know how to use): Duplicate transaction - I have weekly expenses that are exactly the same so I want to duplicate the expense (change date) to save time. I want to change the calendar to Sun-Sat, not Mon-Sun - it confuses my American brain

Shalu from Conestoga College

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

A Quick On-Hand Finance & Accounting tool

Pros

Very helpful and easy to get information about the financial situation and worth of the business. Categorization of expenses is easy with minimal data entry and easy to get details about eligible expenses (maximum deductions) at the time of tax return filing.

Cons

I have not faced any problem with this software yet. For me, it's a very helpful tool for maintaining financial records of the business.

Sean from Rocky Point Maintenance

Any small business owner should use this product!

Pros

I love the integration options and being able to track miles and invoices from my phone. I run my contractor business on the side after I finish my day jobe each day, and this software makes it so easy!! Fantastic software for any independent contractor!

Cons

Absolutely none that I can think of, if you are a sole proprietor or even a small LLC, this product is for you!

Tina Marie from tmgCareerServices

Quickbooks Online Self-Employed

Pros

Cons

I don't have cons to add to this review. I learned to use Quickbooks Online Self-Employed within an hour.

Katie from Copeland Law PLLC

Very efficient

Pros

Very efficient! I love that it tracks my trips for me and links to my accounts so I don't miss anything. Since it links with Quickbooks, I am hopeful that taxes will be easy!

Cons

It wasn't obvious how to add a receipt instantly with one click. I figured it out, though. I'm also not sure whether to upload the itemized receipt or the final total receipt.

Lisa from Etsy Shop

No ready for prime time ...

I will run it through the end of the year and find a new solution for 2018.

Pros

Theoretically, the ability to link to my Etsy shop and PayPal account to update my expenses and revenue, ability to track mileage (though could use a description field to remind me what I was driving for) and to take photos of receipts to keep in the system.

Cons

The theoretical doesn't work ... it often fails to do basic things like be able to update to Etsy or PayPal accounts ... you know, the major hitters. Support fixes it behind the scenes when you contact them, but the time I am supposed to save by having this is spent communicating with CSRs.

Henry from California College San Diego

Pros

This product makes it easy for you to track your mileage, organize your expenses, create invoices and help you with taxes. The mobile app really simplifies your day to day activities.

Cons

The software does not support state taxes and the invoices are also very limited compared to other quickbooks software.

Renea from solid solutions today

Would Not Work With Bank

Pros

Clean and smart, I had one of my client's, who is a CPA, rave about it so much, I decided to try it again after many years of having not used it. Many app integrations are available. Cloud based which is important for the person on the go.

Cons

It does not sync with my particular bank, however, I did place a request for Quickbooks to add it. Inventory tracking is actually done better with an app but if QuickBooks could sync with it, that would be good. Doesn't include payroll.

Christopher from Corbett Strategic Communications

Industry: Fund-Raising

Continues to have holes

Frustrating. Thankful for at least something to invoice my clients, but this is a limited program that doesn't do some very common, basic things.

Pros

It gives me a template to enter line item invoices and get instant calculations.

Cons

Holes in basic needs, such as counter-intuitive button functions -- it's easy to send a premature invoice, inadvertently erase work, and you can't easily, or sometimes at all, send a copy of your invoice to another email address. Sometimes it glitches and won't send. If you want to re-invoice someone due to late payment, there's no way to write your client a note--the program just sends the same invoice with no explanation to your client. It's just a badly conceived program.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Self-Employed

I didn't know it would be this poorly constructed. Bad assumption.

Brad from Tech Data

Useless App

DON'T touch this product, it is the worst! The App doesn't track your millage correctly! You can't amend any transactions hst, you have to create 2 separate entries. The tech support is useless, I have been dealing with them for over 2 months to get the issues resolved. You can't call quickbooks, EVERYTHING related to self employed is only done online. Use Excel, MileIQ, that's the way forward!

Pros

Nothing! This is the most useless app and a waste of money.

Vivian from Allmart Superstore

Makes my business run smoothly

Pros

It allows me to sort bank transactions It tracks mileage and business expenses It transfers information to tax software to file

Cons

A bit intrusive when it comes to information gathering. I ask for bank account logins and it makes me wonder if privacy is ok

Alexa from Allonsy Creative

A Must-Have for Self-Employed

Pros

Great software for invoicing, logging expenses and tracking finances. The software is very easy to use and can be used on mobile as well!

Cons

There is a slight delay on tracking purchases, this makes it harder for up-to-the-minute finance tracking.

Mark from Dearinger

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Horrible!!!

The support fixed the same problem over and over for months but the fix never stuck I sent almost 40 + e mails in just 6 weeks with some many issues. Bottom line it never worked and the company will never address it. If you call them everybody's says they can't do anything.

Denise from SSES Global

Great product if you're willing to invest a bit of education time.

Please consider enabling help/support based upon user capability.

Pros

The ease of integrating with various bank feeds is extremely helpful. The occasional prompts are good as well.

Cons

It is not sufficiently intuitive and can use a 'new user' mode. The AI in QB could be used to provide substantially more guidance to the self-employed user.

Ken from Dance Factory

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Do not buy this

Do not buy.

Pros

ease of use and good interface and integrated with my bank account pretty well. Pretty intuitive too.

Cons

Filled with errors both from an accounting point of view and an accuracy point of view. Its the end of the tax year and my accountant found a £77,000 discrepancy between what was in the program and what my bank statements reported. You cannot have a 'tax year' different to the the one Intuit define and you cannot define categories. TOTALLY HOPELESS

Luis from Caribex Trading

Industry: Logistics and Supply Chain

Finally decided to try Quickbooks Self-Emplyed for 2017

I purchased the Quickbooks Self-Employed packaged with the Turbo Tax software. Looking forward to using the Turbo Tax section at tax time in 2018. So Far So Good!

Pros

I found it easy to get started, easy to set up, and fairly easy to link my bank accounts and credit cards to the automatic download and updates via internet. This was the main feature I was looking for and it has worked without a glitch, and easier & better than I had expected.

Haley from Wiley Education Services

Quickbooks is amazing for self-employed people

Pros

Quickbooks has been so helpful for me to keep track of my somewhat unstable income. I rely on this to get the best tax return I can get.

Cons

There is a small learning curve, but that might just be because software like this can be overwhelming for someone who isn't great with numbers.

Patrick from KCA

Overall good product

Pros

t's pretty basic, which is what I need. It has more features than I need, but I might need them in the future.

Cons

Some Clunky things about it--could be a bit more intuitive and the automatic field fill-ins could be better.