Wave Accounting Reviews

1,243 Reviews

• icon"Accounting by Wave is super easy to navigate and use. It helps with bookkeeping and makes my job a little easier."
  • icon"It is so super easy to use, integrates with my Stripe account so clients can easily pay by credit card and even better - it's free."
  • icon"Love using wave to track my spending and budgeting through their software. When I make payments with my credit card, I'm able to go in and categorize everything super easily."
  • icon"The customer service is useless. They say the transaction issue is due to their third party and that they have no control over this."
  • icon"It sometimes would get messed up. Transactions were doubled and it wasn’t always in sync with my accounts which made my accountant nervous."
  • icon"They trapped 10k+ by inserting a payment link into invoices and when the customer pays they give you every excuse in the book to hold the money."

Browse all Wave Accounting Reviews

• Have you used Wave Accounting and would like to share your experience with others?

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,224 reviews

Jonathan

Easy to Use, comparable pricing to others

Allen

July 2022

Great software for general small business accounting

Pros

I like the fact that it's free it's got a lot of features I have my bookkeeper in there doing my monthly financial reporting and reconciliation she likes it as well but it's very different from QuickBooks according to her

Cons

I wish there was an app so I can access some of the reports from my phone

Reasons for choosing Wave Accounting

I found the free option a lot more palatable

Josh

Awesome free accounting online software for your business that is super professional!

There is very little more I can ask for with Wave for my small business. It is free for the features I need and allows me to take only ACH or credit card payments with a reasonable fee and I only pay the fixed percentage when I use those features so I can just turn it off and get a check from a client and not pay anything. Great Flexibility!

Pros

Its free for small businesses that just need a good business accounting software! You can take ACH and CC payments if you want and turn them off on invoices you don't want it on. The rates are reasonable enough for using these services. The reports are easy enough for doing taxes. It's awesome and cheap for those that are one man shows or freelancers.

Cons

The thing that is the most annoying is when you want to do a recurring billing. It doesn't use something like Maintenance contract #1 then go to #2 or something like that it makes recurring billing invoice names that were the most recent of any invoices. Maybe I am not using it correctly, but each time I have to go and change invoice names then manually send it to the client.

Reasons for choosing Wave Accounting

I originally chose Wave as it was free. Now I just love it and it works well for me so no reason to even look somewhere else.

Andre

August 2022

Was the best free accounting software

Pros

I loved Wave Accounting. There was seldom any problems and they had some great ideas on how to do things like bank recons, which are much easier than other accounting software. And all for free. Can't beat that.

Cons

They were taken over by H&R Block and then it was downhill from there!

Reasons for choosing Wave Accounting

Because it was free and had most of what I needed at the time for my small business

Reasons for switching to Wave Accounting

Wave Accounting was free and worked very well with new features coming out on a regular basis

My go-to invoicing and accounting tool for my small business!

Nothing but amazing! I'm so glad I switched from Square for my invoice and payment processing.

Pros

It is so easy to use, and customized specifically for small business owners. I absolutely LOVE the invoice feature - it's the primary feature that I use - and it just works so well. My completed payments rate is 100% and I believe is at least in part due to how easy the process is to view/pay invoices.

Cons

Sometimes I wish the payment speed was faster after a client makes a payment, but then they introduced instant deposits and I'm happy to pay the small fee to get my money faster!

Reasons for choosing Wave Accounting

The UX is so much better, less complicated and I can't say enough how much I like that Wave is designed specifically for small business owners and what matters to them.

Reasons for switching to Wave Accounting

Better fees, faster money and Wave is customized specifically for small business owners just like me.

Samantha

Industry: Law Practice

June 2022

Not enough features and virtually NO customer support

It was fine when we had one part-time employee. But for all the real-life scenarios that pop up when you have full-time employees, it's useless. The customer service is also super disappointing and unhelpful. We only use it for payroll, which should not require much in terms of software so I can't imagine trying to use it for accounting.

Pros

I like how easy it was to set-up--that process was straightforward and the interface initially was easy to understand. Unfortunately as we needed to do more after adding a full-time employee, it proved impossible to work with or use.

Cons

For payroll you have no options, and even when they recognize this, they don't provide a solution. A good example--we had an employee who had maxed out her vacation hours, but we agreed to let her take a few unpaid vacation days. There was no way for us to do this within Wave (you get paid vacation time or nothing). I chatted and even emailed with various representatives--all of which were super unhelpful, and we ended up wasting a lot of time before just being told this isn't an option. That's another huge con--there is virtually no support. The chat bot is not only unhelpful, but real agents are usually unavailable or there's a 20+ minute wait. The system is also not improving like I'd expect. I was notified today that my card declined for some reason so I followed the instructions that Wave emailed me to try to fix it, and it's like someone wrote them without looking at Wave's website because none of the instructions match. Not only is there not a change payment button but there's a Q/A at the end of the page where a user specifically asked this question, and there's no answer! I kick myself for picking this software, and we're in the process of moving to Gusto right now.

Reasons for choosing Wave Accounting

Price and what we thought was ease of use. Now the price has gone up to match competitors (but the features have not), so it was a mistake.

Laura

Industry: Photography

May 2022

Best accounting software to grow as a small business

The overall experience with Wave has been very good. With some hiccups on the roadmap, Wave has evolved by leaps and bounds from a pretty basic software to quite a powerhouse, even for the free version. If my business grows and I will feel the need to add more features such as payroll and tax advisor use, I will still remain a Wave believer!

Pros

I've used Wave since 2009!!! I feel like my company grew with it. It's helped me understand all I was doing right (and wrong!) financially in my business. It helps tremendously when filing monthly sales taxes. I keep a habit of staying organized, verifying all transactions and reconciling with my bank accounts. All of this, plus categorizing everything the right way makes tax time an absolute breeze - my taxes are done in two days and I don't need to freak out about it because everything is organized ahead of time and all I do is input expenses and sales.

Cons

What I least like about Wave is that a few years ago they stopped support for free accounts. Absolutely no human support whatsoever. Disagree with that big time!!! Sometimes also a bank connection will be interrupted and you cannot reconnect for many many months and since there is no support, you are left without any help. I am a small business of one person and I do not need any of the paid features that Wave offers so I could be upgraded to paid support, so I am always stuck in no human support land. It doesn't feel good, especially to someone who has used this software for as long as I have.

Reasons for choosing Wave Accounting

Interface, ease of use and pricing - FREE!

Reasons for switching to Wave Accounting

Absolutely hated QuickBooks. It felt overwhelming, like I needed to go to school to learn yet another piece of software. Absolutely could not get used to the awful interface and I ditched it immediately, although I paid a few hundred dollars for a desktop version that was rendered obsolete by Intuit after 3 years. Apparently, that is quite a frequent practice from Intuit regarding QuickBooks.

Sara

June 2022

To keep tabs on my profits and expenses, I use Wave!

I love this program since it's perfect for startups like mine! It makes accounting responsibilities much easier, especially when you're running a business and need to keep track of everything in one location.

Pros

I like how simple it was to get started, both in terms of the set-up procedure and the user interface. Unfortunately, when our workload increased as a result of hiring a full-time employee, we were unable to use it.

Cons

For payroll, there are no choices, and even if they realize this, there is no remedy. As an illustration, we let one of our employees who had used up all of her paid vacation time to take a few unpaid days off.

Reasons for switching to Wave Accounting

When we only had one part-time employee, everything was OK. While it may be useful in theory, it's worthless when you have full-time personnel. Also, the company's customer support is a huge letdown. For accounting, I'd need a lot more software than what we use it for now.

Thomas

Wave Accounting

Really great overall. I am currently using the free features of Wave, but you get A LOT out of the free features. Will eventually start using the payroll feature as well, which is comparable to most other quality payroll software providers.

Pros

As a small business owner, the most valuable and easy-to-use parts of the software are: - income/expense tracking with ability to attach receipts - invoice customization - tracking vendor/contractor contact information and payments - reporting customization capabilities (profit/loss statements, customer statements, etc.) The best part is that all of these basic functionalities are 100% free and the software is high quality. It is better and more simplified than QuickBooks.

Cons

In the beginning, it wasn't immediately self-explanatory on how to best start using the free features, so it requires a little poking around and trial and error to see how you can get the best use out of it for your business.

Reasons for choosing Wave Accounting

You get A LOT out of the free features. Plus, the user-experience is much more simplified.

Jonathan

Easy to Use, comparable pricing to others

For what I use it for (invoicing and taking credit card information) it's fantastic. It is simple and easy to use, and with a couple of additions, I would make it my primary payment provider.

Pros

Very very easy to use, especially compared to something like Stripe, which is perhaps more advanced. Wave is incredibly user friendly, easily connects with my bank accounts, and I love that I can use Zaps to create invoices rapidly as well as take enter credit card information easily.

Cons

A feature like PayPal buttons would be nice. That's the only reason I keep Paypal and don't make the total switch to Wave.

Reasons for choosing Wave Accounting

Ease of use. Straight up, it's incredibly simple and easy to use, and with plenty of Zapier integrations it fits seamlessly into my business.

Letha

Awesome Free Business Accounting

As a DIY person Wave has been a great asset to running my freelance business. Best of all it's free, but doesn't feel like you're using a 'free' version of a software. When I have had to reach out to support they have been great.

Pros

I've been using Wave since 2013 and I have never felt a need to move. The service continually gets better. I'm able to track business finances daily and it really helps to invoice and receive payments in the same place.

Cons

Tax responsibility - I wish it could auto-calculate my quarterly estimated taxes based on invoice payments.

Reasons for switching to Wave Accounting

At the time, I was taking quite bit of loss due to the aftermath of great recession. I switched because it was free and also it had the accounting part at the time which Freshbooks didn't have at that time.

June 2022

Great accounting software if your business is just getting started.

I found that the interface was easy to use and learn.

Pros

The best thing about Wave software is that it's free to get started. So if you are starting a new business on a budget and feel you don't have the money to spend on a book-keeper or expensive software this is good first choice. I used Wave to run Profit & Loss statements and Balance Sheets. I found that the interface was easy to use and learn. It was recommend by my accountant for book-keeping, and I'm glad I started with it.

Cons

I was only allowed to upload about 6 months worth of old transactions from my bank, but I had a lot more.

Reasons for switching to Wave Accounting

Wave imported transactions from my bank accounts directly.

Danielle

Excellent value

Pros

It's incredibly easy to use, generates extensive reports, and makes invoicing clients simple.

Cons

None. I am completely satisfied with this software.

Reasons for switching to Wave Accounting

Quickbooks was expensive in comparison to Wave.

Olakunle

Best features for a free application

Wave has saved me many headaches as a small business/freelancer especially in getting my finances together for taxes. It's easy to use their receipt app to take a photo or forward a receipt to have it auto-capture. And the ability to integrate through tools like Zapier makes automating invoices a breeze. There is constant development on the interface and other offerings, so I feel that it's worth sticking with the journey knowing things are only getting better.

Pros

Wave doesn't feel like a free product. The thoughtful interface, bank/credit card syncing, receipt processing, and reporting gives you the feel of a premium paid accounting application. And to know that Wave also has paid professional help when it comes to taxes or other issues makes it an easy one-stop-shop for smaller businesses.

Cons

The transaction importing process is a bit clunky if you aren't using bank sync. There are limited functions that you can do when mass editing transactions that you don't initially think about. But when you want to perform something that seems intuitive you can't. So you shouldn't expect the power of a Quickbooks at a free price, so it's to be expected.

Reasons for choosing Wave Accounting

Wave is a powerful tool that checked all the boxes I needed for free.

Victoria

Great for Invoicing

Pros

Sequential invoice numbers are automatically generated. On top of that, Wave keeps track of paid/unpaid invoices, making it easy for you to see all your debtors and creditors. I also quite appreciate how it comes with an easy setup to accept card payments. Having used this software since 2018, I also love how receipts are created each time that you receive a payment, and you can decide whether you want to send or print the invoices. Finally, the receipts/invoices look very professional, and you can always get a visual summary of all your transactions at any time.

Cons

I'm happy to say that I haven't had any issues.

Jardyne

Wave is not Available from the Apple store to download on IPhone 13

Good . Just want it to work on IPhone13

Pros

On my previous phone it was really easy to use and I loved it . My phone got stolen so now I’m on the iPhone 13 Wave apps doesn’t exist through the Apple store . Really frustrating!

Cons

I have noticed on some devices because my husband also uses Wave on his device .. it’s really slow . On some phones it works fine but others is a disaster

Felix

June 2022

Great solution for Freelancers!

My overall experience: Very pleasant to use Wave, I like it.

Pros

I like the most that you can start using this solution for free!

Cons

I like the least that is not scalable in the sense that the sooner you get into transactions bigger than 3k you start getting into problems. (AML requirements) Hopefully they'll solve this soon to avoid this UX negative impact. I cannot afford 1 week fund lockup freezing periods.

Summer

August 2022

Wave has everything you need to run a small business

I LOVE this software. I have been using it without issue for 2 years + without issue and it has really helped me organize my business. I will definitely stay with them as long as I can

Pros

The best thing about WAVE is its ease of use. It was so easy to learn to use this. Additionally the invoices are really customizable. There is a huge amount you can do with just the free version but if you upgrade to the paid version you can access a lot more of the accounting features and payment features. I like that for security reasons the software logs you out at the end of the day. The invoices look very professional and are downloadable and can be sent with a pdf attachment. When a partial payment is made you can send a receipt reflective of how much was paid, how, when and with how much balance left. The software will also alert me when a payment is overdue. You can also add tax and discounts to the invoices.

Cons

The only gripe I have is that when I made changes to the invoice parameters, I was unable to delete the old parameters because they had been used in previous invoices. It would be nice to be able to "inactivate" or send to "archive" these parameters.

cost

Reasons for switching to Wave Accounting

This software is totally customizable, will send emails to clients automatically and has an accounting component. It is MUCH better and more professional than anything I could do with pages.

March 2022

Wave Accounting

I was able to quickly send professional estimates and invoices on go and I didn't have to keep a lot of envelopes with receipts any more, I could just scan receipts and attach them to a bank transaction. Before I even get an accountant, I would easily see the performance of the business from the cash flow graphs and profit and loss graphs.

Pros

Setting reminders to be sent to clients for payment is the most important feature from wave in my opinion. Also being able to create recurring invoices you you don't have to do the same thing every week or every month. My other favorite is customer statements. Pulling out customer statements and sending to your clients gives you points in terms of professionalism. I also appreciate that when Wave stopped operating in South Africa they recommended Zoho and gave us a year of free use of Zoho. Even though I did not like changing, this was a very thoughtful move by wave.

Cons

For some reason wave starting giving limited access to its South African customers and partnered with Zoho for customers to migrate. Even though the apps are similar, they're not the same and it took a little bit of time to now learn Zoho a new app.

Reasons for choosing Wave Accounting

Wave Accounting came highly recommended by friends. In addition when I first opened wave, the dashboard look simple and it was easy for me to follow.

Henry

Excellent for freelancers and small businesses

Extremely positive. In 3+ years I don't think I've had to contact support once, nor have I ever considered switching to other tools. It is one of the few software tools I use regularly where I am happy to open it, and I'm happy to give them their percentage. As a freelancer, Wave has been indispensable to me. Always simple and smooth, and exceptional bang for the buck. Not only would I recommend Wave to freelancers and small businesses, I have recommended it. Numerous times.

Pros

Wave is ideal for freelancers. Set up is really simple and the interface is user-friendly. I have zero background in financial matters, and with Wave that's totally fine. The price is also right. There's no subscription or hidden fees, they just take a perfectly reasonable percentage from invoice payments. I asked a financial advisor friend of mine before signing up, and she was pleasantly surprised by the low rates, and told me to go for it. I've been using Wave for over 3 years, and I have never once been hit with a fee outside of the basic rates. Wave also provides a host of reporting and tracking tools in this basic account. They didn't influence my decision to sign up, but they've proven to be very useful. And finally a small but really helpful feature, especially if you're a freelancer just starting out: immediate money transfers. Once someone pays your invoice, the money is in Wave, and takes 2-3 days to transfer. For 1% more payment, you can transfer money within minutes. For the cash-strapped freelancer, that can be mana from heaven.

Cons

There are no major cons that I can think of. One issue I have is mostly my fault: When I first started using Wave I didn't know what I was doing, and I ended up creating a whole bunch of client and work type records unnecessarily. It would be nice if there were some more in-your-face tutorials, maybe some hover tips for new users. But the messiness is mainly from me leaping in before looking.

Reasons for choosing Wave Accounting

It was the cheapest option, and the most user-friendly looking. I have no background in finance and didn't want complex features built for accountants - Wave has those features, but only if you want them.

Spencer

Industry: Photography

Very powerful free features with the option to purchase high-quality premium services!

I am very impressed with Wave Accounting. Their free products aren't skimpy or limiting, but are actually very full and would likely not be free from another service provider! Wave's premium offerings are extensive as well. Overall, I've found that Wave Accounting is perfect for a wide target audience including small businesses, sole proprietors, independent contractors and freelancers, or people looking to take their invoicing, accounting, payment collecting, etc. to anything beyond their basic capacity and limitations. Highly recommend to a broad audience needing such services.

Pros

Wave Apps software features not only very beautiful interfaces for their products' dashboard, but the platform is at once very feature-heavy and thoughtfully well designed. The aesthetically-pleasing graphics for content such as cash flow, profit and loss, and expense breakdowns on the primary dashboard are sharp and clean in addition to being so helpfully data-driven, and all that is just on the landing page. As you navigate through categories of sales, purchases, accounting, banking, you experience how well-constructions the pages are for options within each section including sales, purchases, accounting, etc. I love just how many of the feature-heavy options are completely *FREE.* Wave Apps offers select premium services, such as Wave Advisors and bookkeeping, even business insurance with "NEXT," while offering things such as accounting, invoicing , etc. free of charge. It's an excellent product for anyone looking for a beautiful interface, but also wanting lots of features without needing to immediately spend money for quality products.

Cons

So many elements within Wave are intuitively navigable and to use with simple data entry. One area that was a little more challenging for me to set up with the chart of accounts section in the accounting area of the interface. It's so nice that it's deeply customizable, but the challenge was that it took me a little extra time to understand and knowledgeably input the data of my assets, liabilities/credits, income, expenses, equity. This is something that would be challenging for anyone not familiar with basic accounting on any software, so I probably would've benefitted from a few "help" pop-ups/set-up assistance here than perhaps some other areas. Where my limitations with setup start is however where Wave's premium products with bookkeeping and accounting are so valuable to the user. There are many great pop-up notices throughout the platform that inform you about new features of ways to most effectively use Wave Apps features, which is great, and of course, they're complete with beautiful graphics.

Kari

I LOVE Wave!

Overall, I highly recommend Wave if you are running a business and want low costs and an easy way to manage your finances. My business is simple and Wave makes it so much easier for me to stay on top of things and know where I need to focus my energy.

Pros

I have been using Wave since around 2015 and my books were a mess when I first began because I was doing them (not my strength) and once I heard about Wave's bookkeeping services, I couldn't believe how affordable they were. It's super easy to set up and use, run reports and know about your financials. I tried switching to QB for about 1 month and hated it, so I switched back. Lesson learned and I'm sticking around!

Cons

One thing I had to get used to was because I had my bank account connected and until the month is reconciled, when a invoice is paid I mark it paid and then the 'payment' comes in again from banking. It was easy to catch and now my Wave bookkeeper keeps all that reconciled. Thank you!

Reasons for choosing Wave Accounting

I chose Wave because of a family recommendation and how easy it was for me to set up an account and get things moving. The others may have changed, but I still recommend Wave to anyone who is looking for an easy & affordable way to get their business going.

Proinsias

Industry: Online Media

Wave Accounting is great for a Startup Business

I was very happy with the invoicing, payments, and the Design and functionality. I was able to search past transactions very easily. I did not pay for premium support, but the support that I recieve is excellent.

Pros

It was free to use the accounting services I was able to invoice customers using Stripe as a Payment Gateway which was great value The Design and User Interface is very professional compared to others that I have seen The Payment Gateway was also very professional when sent to customers, it added to the credibility of the business

Cons

My particular Bank would not allow me to sync my account with Wave, but that was a local issue not a general issue. I was very very happy with the invoicing. but I always felt that the ledger views were not as robust.

Reasons for choosing Wave Accounting

It was really cost, efficiency, and user interface. It looked good from the customer side and that was important for me.

Reasons for switching to Wave Accounting

The functionality that I really needed was free and I was very happy with that.

Cheikh

Good accounting software

The speed with which the credit cards were processed automatically saved me a lot of time.

Pros

This is a very complete software that allows you to build quotes and convert them into invoices in a fraction of a second without much effort. Wave is excellent especially when it comes to credit card processing which is done automatically with a very low 1% fee. It is very easy to set up and use and the cost is low or even free. Personally, I recommend buying this package because it comes with support: from setting up your account to the specific categories for your company . The other advantage of Wave is the presence of a number of applications to send invoices when you are away from your workplace. So even when you're away from home you can download them. In this case, all you have to do is take the photo on the spot.

Cons

The problem on the Wave software is not so numerous, but we notice that it is impossible to close a period correctly. All members who are able to make transactions have the possibility to change or add entries from the previous year. For me an administrator must have the ability to close a period so that no changes are made. User growth is also very limited. The lack of audit trails for transaction entries is also a case of imperfection at Wave . Admittedly, it is possible to generate transactions, then generate reports, then cancel the transactions, etc. But there is no proof that these changes are made yes or no, because the software is unable to remember its categorizations. The keyword search function is absent from Wave in the transactions section and sometimes it makes us lose a lot of time.

Zoho Books

Reasons for choosing Wave Accounting

Because Wave is free and easy to use accounting software

To test another software

Industry: Music

Wave Was/Is My Go To From QB Online

My overall experience has been great! I have to do some thinking/remembering at tax time to separate the double entries of income. I show an invoice paid by check WAVE shows that income on my account. I go to the bank and deposit, there is that check again. For the total amount of money saved, around $450-500, I will put up with it.

Pros

It is FREE in the cloud, works on ALL platforms Windows 7,10, Android, iphones. Accepts all credit cards including Amex for 2.9% I am saving $420+ yearly by not having QB, I don't have to print invoices. Since WAVE is in the cloud I email my invoices and receipts.

Cons

I wish it had more storage of customer service that has been performed in the past but I suspect that would require some expense. It only had 3 invoice templates and there wasn't much customization on those. You can't compound taxes on your invoices, let me rephrase, you can compound 1 tax but no more. Since my only taxes are State and County I found it best to compound none for fear of forgetting which one I had compounded

NolaPro

Reasons for choosing Wave Accounting

Wave had a more complete suite of the tools I needed that were familiar to me from my experience with Quickbooks

Reasons for switching to Wave Accounting

Quickbooks Online wasn't as good as the desktop version but as long as Windows 10 is still under construction I won't chance having another desktop version made unusable due to another Windows 10 "update". I don't need to be concerned about it anymore now that I have WAVE!

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,224 reviews