What are MongoDB users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using MongoDB software through verified user reviews

• icon"I knew nothing about the Nosql, until I started with Mongodb, what I like the most about mongdb is the ease of use and the excellent customer support."
  • icon"It's ease of use and integration with Python is the best thing. Use for web development and other applications, this has been a great tool."
  • icon"MongoDB configuration UI is great, you can configure on minutes and it allows you to scale your solution with few clicks."
  • icon"Also, It does not support the ACID properties of the database properly. The lock mechanism is poor as compared to the relational database."
  • icon"I disliked how it performed as the database grew, as well as the lack of queries."
  • icon"The installation is confusing I suppose. And Limited Data Size is another."

Browse all MongoDB Reviews

• Have you used MongoDB and would like to share your experience with others?

Wishwa

Best No SQL Database

I use MongoDB every day in my workplace and for personal projects. From spinning up a database instance to managing it, the flow is very simple and easy, with introducing new features regularly, MongoDB remarkably staying up in the curve

Pros

MongoDB has the best support for database clients. And the Support for GeoJSON API and database transactions.

Cons

MongoDB database is perfect. It's the MongoDB compass needs some touches

GeoJSON support

Fast, fast, fast, and agile

Very positive. I will likely use MongoDB on every future project of moderate to extreme complexity.

Pros

One of the most difficult parts of software development, especially with complex projects, is keeping the software maintained. As business requirement change, the effort required to make those changes grows over time. MongoDB opened up a whole new world for me. I can make structural changes to my underlying data with ease without too much modification the data access layer. It reduces initial development significantly, and allows my team to pivot to new requirements with unprecedented ease. Because related data is encapsulated, queries are much faster, and our software is extremely performant. Highly recommended.

Cons

The tooling isn't great. Compass is a decent tool for accessing and lookup, but it lacks polish. It's slow to start up and sometimes difficult to pull up the data I'm seeking

Reasons for switching to MongoDB

First, the switch was experimental. Then, as the benefits unfolded, we knew MongoDB was a keeper.

noSQL king

Pros

Super easy to get started, perfect documentation, great developer user experience, great performances, easy query language.

Cons

Actually can't find anything I don't like about it.

Rob

Mongo allows you to take off easily, but makes it harder to do more advanced analysis.

Pros

-Easy Setup -Getting simple data in/out is painless & straightforward -Basic analytics are easy, as is managing multi-server clusters

Cons

-Working with complex data is a difficult. -Many original features or design choices were incorrect and slow to be corrected. For example, timezone support is minimal and days/dates/months use a custom numbering rather than ISO. Mongo is only now adding ISO versions of aggregation commands

MongoDB is my choice of nosql / document database for paired use with Node.JS

I needed a free but industry standard database for my Node.JS based library management application. MongoDB was just what I needed, I did consider MySQL but I wanted to try nosql / document orientated. It has been fantastic - it's hard to believe productions like these are free for all.

Pros

I love how MongoDB integrates with code in such a way that queries look just like any other code. I also love how the documents from MongoDB are returned natively to Node.JS as objects without any mapping at all. MongoDB is an intuitive and very performant database, I recommend trying it if you haven't.

Cons

The big thing with MongoDB you have to get your head around is the whole redundant data thing - it is usually recommended that you store a lot of redundant data in your documents instead of having data normalised with relationships as you would in a relational DB. Have redundant data can make your query code really simple, but it can make your update code very complex / cumbersome. However, you can opt out of this approach and use MongoDB with relationships - I would recommend using Mongoose (an npm package) that will handle a lot of the work with relationships for you.

Reasons for choosing MongoDB

I wanted to try nosql / document orientated.

Juan Manuel

Best no-sql database

My experience is very good, it works very fast, it is configured quickly, you can view and make queries from your software to see the data of your database. Making backups is very simple and integrates perfectly with our javascript development.

Pros

Very fast installation and use. It has very complete tools to manage you, such as the Mongo Compass or the possibility of having everything in your cloud with Mongo Atlas. The installation is very simple and the power of the tool is incredible and integrates perfectly with our system built in NodeJS. It has a very detailed documentation which facilitates its integration.

Cons

The main cons is that it does not have the possibility of making queries with JOINS but this is a limitation of NO-SQL databases

Reasons for switching to MongoDB

We made the change since we needed to make a smaller service and we did not see the need to connect an sql base. With mongo we gain ease and speed

Victor Ignacio Jesus

Best option to administer high volume data

My firs time when i started to use MongoDB i was really worried about the difficult to configurate the connections with the platform where i was working but when it was done, all the problems just dissapear. And if you use MongoDB Compass, the way in how you visualise and operate your data its very more easy, with just a few clicks to make all that you wanna to do, from a simple query to a migration of database.

Pros

That i really like about this its the high quality documentation for everything that you wanna do, it has tutorials for a lot of platforms and programming languages, with detailed explanations and a lot of forums where people can help you.

Cons

That i like least its the difficult to make the first configurations with the platform where you are working, you need to use very large connections strings with a lot of parameters where its easy make a typing error like add one space more or confuse between lowercase and capital letter in some parameters

Reasons for choosing MongoDB

because it has a high quality and quantity of documentation for every configuration that you wanna do, very detailed tutorials and forums where you can make questions for any problem that you have

Ozan Can

works to manage data

Pros

I enjoyed this high-level SQL interpretation of MongoDB. We address numerous business problems with MongoDB. It stores a large amount of information used by our association to store customer data sets on the server.

Cons

Most instruments are shut source and will more often than not have a few bugs.

Srinivas

MongoDb

Pros

Performance of mongoDB is pretty good. It is highly available.

Cons

MongoDB usually has high memory usage, so its need infra to support it.

Ahmed

MongoDB

Pros

lightweight and fast powerful database tool

Cons

performance slows down with larger data and need a User Interface for administration

Aniket

MongoDB - The Best No-SQL Database!

I used MongoDB in a laboratory environment, adding access levels for users to access the data remotely. I also interacted with the database a lot and it was way easier to create and manage it. Furthermore, I never experienced a server-crash whilst accessing the data, which is fairly common for most other no-sql databases. Even-so, it just proves that it manages the memory well.

Pros

MongoDB has integrations with almost all computer languages used today, with even having an integration with Erlang (a very rarely used language). The drivers are easily available from open source contributors and works amazingly well. For a No-SQL database, it is amazingly well managed and easier to use in almost all other languages.

Cons

Its sort of confusing to manage the access control levels of the users, as it is all stored in json file. If there was a way to sort of make this process graphical or interactive, it would have reduced many access threats in a database.

Reasons for choosing MongoDB

We all had first-hand experience with MongoDB and it seemed easier to use/setup than the other two databases.

Reasons for switching to MongoDB

We felt CouchDB was sort of expensive in comparision to MongoDB in terms of features offered and the rate limits. Furthermore, CouchDB was difficult to use in a production environments for most of our researchers and students.

Great data storage solution with space for improvement

Using MongoDB for years, mostly as local storage in docker containers. Latest project is based on cloud solution.

Pros

I like the Atlas Cloud solution. It enables various tricks and cross-integrations of single database between multiple apps (containers) with simple user management - for a reasonable price.

Cons

I cannot get over this Atlas Compass UX issue - I want to open at least two "tabs" with collections at the same time. This is not possible and even worse, when you switch between collections, thee state is completely reset. So I'm compiling the search query carefully with all the commas, brackets and identifiers, I often need to search for ID from another collection or maybe from the same collection. When i change collection scope -> BAM! The whole query is gone :( The input should retain its actual value... Second "issue": When it comes to schema changes in living DB, sometimes it behaves unexpectedly (no error, no data). Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I would like to know it...

Reasons for choosing MongoDB

Document orientation, cloud feature, high security, price

Terrible security.

Tyson

Amazingly Flexible Database Capability

Pros

I don't usually rave about products, but I do about MongoDB. * MongoDB's schemaless document-centric approach to database makes it easy to store any kind of data I need to, even subdocuments and array fields with minimal fuss within code or tools. This allows for a lot of flexibility and makes it easy to upgrade or refactor existing software. * MongoDB's indexes provide amazing performance even in a schemaless world. Simple and compound indexes, as found in the relational database world, are just the start. Add to that multikey indexes (indexes over array fields), string and geolocation indexes, and indexes where entries expire documents with time. Mongo has it all. * MongoDB's approach to scalability - using replica sets for high availability and fault-tolerant failover and sharding databases over a potentially large number of servers - makes it easy to scale huge amounts of data without overly expensive hardware and failover complexity. * MongoDB driver support is available for a variety of languages. * Mongo University, free graded courses covering various aspects of MongoDB from development to administrative activities to security, etc., offers a solid path to learning.

Cons

I'm a huge proponent of MongoDB but because of the nature of schemaless document-oriented databases, there are still some problems for which a relational database is still the answer. There are some applications and technical domains where relational databases still have a huge lead over Mongo for performance.

Abdelmadjid

A great companion to Javascript back ends

I've launched a few products that use MongoDB and have been very happy with the performance and scalability.

Pros

MongoDB integrates very well with JS-based server code. It's fast and its dynamic, NoSQL nature allows for a lot of flexibility and creative use.

Cons

As MongoDB isn't as ubiquitous as other solutions like MySQL, there's a bit less tooling available and some IaaS platforms treat it as a second class citizen.

Reasons for switching to MongoDB

As our next project was using JS, we went for the deeper integration that MongoDB offers.

Frank

MongoDB is the NoSQL leader and getting better

The first decision about whether to use MongoDB or not is whether you need a relational or non-relational DB. Once you decide a non-relational is best for you project, then MongoDB is a solid choice. It has the ongoing support of a professional team and is widely used in the market, especially for projects utilizing the MEAN stack. This makes it easier to deploy than other solutions.

Pros

MongoDB is incredibly easy to set up and use. The fact that non-relational DBs are better for more unstructured data, makes it so that you don't necessarily have to know exactly what the end state is going to be before building your schema. Its data throughput is also a key differentiator, so anything with Big Data is going to be a good fit for a non-relational DB and MongoDB, in particular. Finally, the team behind MongoDB is constantly improving the product and releasing updates, and there are several good data viewers in the market, including one from Mongo, for viewing the data and creating queries.

Cons

Creating metrics dashboards can be challenging due to the potential need for JOIN queries in your data. Anything that contains these will be harder to aggregate. Their aggregation framework can be hard to use and limiting for certain requirements.

Omair

Robust for scaling

We switched from MLabs after MongoDB bought them and have since been able to make much better use of the MongoDB ecosystem with Compass, Charts, stronger cluster configuration etc.

Pros

We can see that MongoDB are on a growth-mindset, constantly adding new features like serverless functions, analytical text search, global write ops, and many other at-scale, enterprise level features. Some of these are already helping us reduce our infrastructure costs, for example, we've recently began switching off our third-party search service that was costing us £££ thanks to the introduction of MongoDB search.

Cons

We've had some recent headaches around the MongoDB connection string changes and issues with whitelisting some of our private VPNs on AWS. But these are minor issues. I personally think the Performance Advisor feature is poor - it would be far better to get a list of all unindexed queries listed by overall usage by time-period, rather than the adhoc suggestions that we see.

Reasons for switching to MongoDB

MongoDB purchased mLabs and so we migrated.

shashank

Best No-SQL Database.

MongoDB has no proper structure like rows and columns in RDBMS. There is a feature called indexing where each and every row in the MongoDB database is identified with a unique id. The unique id is provided for each and every new document. The queries are easily understandable without involving any complex joins, unions. It also obeys the Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, Durability known as ACID properties which are essential for a database. MongoDB supports sharding means huge data can be divided into smaller data and can be stored in multiple databases across a network. Different collections in MongoDB can be clubbed together and it also supports transactions which involve data needed from multiple documents across a collection. Based on these properties I have worked on different use cases and because of these features, work became simpler.

Pros

1) There is no fixed schema like RDBMS. We can alter the table structure insert any number of rows and columns. 2) Data retrieving from this No-SQL database is very much fast when compared to other No-SQL databases. 3) Very easy to install. Provides JSON data support. 4) Can be integrated into different languages like Java, PHP. 5) There are no complex joins of queries like RDBMS. 6) The technical support can be available from MongoDB clients in case of any complex issues that occur while working. 7) Having extra features like a backup of stored data, sharing the data to multiple systems across the network is an added advantage. 8) Handles unstructured data i.e the data which has no format, no proper structure.

Cons

I did not find any flaws with this software.

Mongo DB

According to my experience with MongoDB it is good NoSQL database. It has good query capacity, Also when we going to solve some business problems some requirements are change when we build the system. At that time we have to change same database collections. MongoDB support it.

Pros

Mongo DB is non relational database (NoSQL). It is a document database. it has good query capacity. Very easy to install and setup Mongo DB. Also Mongo DB is schema-free, there fore our software (code) defines the schema. It support BSON data format, there fore no complex to write code with mongo db (most of programming languages support BSON data format. We can index the mongo collections and increase the query performance

Cons

When we need to query using two mongo collections (join two collection), we can use lookup feature. but the problem is Mongo DB lookup feature is slow. Also we have no option to run query among two or three collections like as Elastic Search. When we using Elastic Search we can run query among two or three indexes(collections). There for in Elastic Search we can move historical data to separate collections and improve query performance. if we need query with historical, Elastic Search support it. But using Mongo DB we have to handle it in programming side.

Heshani

Fastest leap In database management

I use mongo with our applications. For any set of data, this is the best database.

Pros

Really speedy and requires less memory. We can create collections without a definite number of rows and columns to come. We can add data without restrictions It gives a JSON output which is really easy to work with Easy to add , edit and remove data If a certain section has more than one data, we can insert them as sub arrays, and it makes the developments so flexible.

Cons

The free version allows limited memory so that we have to upgrade it to insert unlimited data. Other than that this is the best.

Reasons for switching to MongoDB

We had to move as it takes very few memory and it is really fast. Also for data in a certain collection there are no limitations like fixed number is rows or columns. So that we can freely use it as we wish.

Naseeb

One of the best for Web Developers

My overall experience with MongoDB is good. I'm satisfied with it. It is much perfect when we are integrating it with JavaScript backend. I recommend using MongoDB for all the web developers as it provides great developer experience. The developers can setup easily and configure with their technology. I find MongoDB very useful, not only for the developers but also for the beginner students which can help them in their college projects.

Pros

First thing is there's no need of any Queries; it is the king of NoSQL. MongoDB is easy to user and learn too and also a flexible schema for changing data elements. Being a web developer, i work on JavaScript, so it's too good for Integrating with JavaScript backend like NodeJS. For the beginner and new comers, they have Mongo DB for free with certain amount of data storage.

Cons

Unlike SQL, it has no joins, which can sometime be an issue in some data retrieval cases. Sometimes it works very slow in the cloud environment. There are no functions available for Transaction. MongoDB's documentation is much confusing to the users. Even if it's easy to use and learn, learning MongoDB might take some time. I thinkg it is hard to work with complex queries.

Reasons for switching to MongoDB

writing queries for each execution was taking lots of time and i used to face lots of problem and errors. Then, finally i came to know about MongoDB which supports NoSQL and is easy to use and install.

Eric R.

MongoDB is great but it AWS is coming for them

I have used MongoDB across multiple companies because of the reliability, the strong security and backup procedures, and the exceptional team they have supporting their products. However, I am concerned that with Dynamo being solid now, MongoDB won't have much of anywhere to go. We used MongoDB with AWS for a long time and now it's just easier to also use Dynamo. This is a shame because Mongo's team is exceptional.

Pros

MongoDB's support for setup and when we have run into problems was the best part about using Mongo and why I've come back to it many times.

Cons

MongoDB has good relationships with other providers but the fact that it's not part of a larger suite of cloud-based solutions is a shame.

Team and pricing.

Reasons for switching to MongoDB

MongoDB pricing and support.

Alex Danilo

MongoDB review, a great, secure, and flexible tool to store your data.

Installing, set it up, and link it with some backends applications. Customizing hooks, and triggers. Use of CRUD requests.

Pros

MongoDB is a great and fresh database server that allows you to create and use non-relational databases, that means; you can store the data in JSON format object. Being an amazing and handy tool that will be compatible with almost every type of development. Moreover, MongoDB features cloud services, allowing you to create and use cluster and triggers, also a tool for monitoring. Furthermore, Mongo uses hooks systems that offer you the option of use CRUD requests and customize the behavior of your database and the way that your models interact.

Cons

For novices or junior developers, the setup of mongo and its services will be hardy, being essential have some basic knowledge about how MongoDB and the non-relational databases work. For this scenario, MongoDB has a complete, and handy Documentation that explains every service and gives you examples about using the databases and its services.

Tarak

Best NoSql database out there

It's a great database and best to learn for someone entering the database world.

Pros

Cons

Don't know the cons of this great product. I can say it would be better if they start providing certifications for professionals.

Ease of use.

One of the best NoSQL alternatives to traditional row/column RDBMSs

While my company uses the Microsoft stack (.NET/IIS/SQL Server) for our enterprise development, we use a MERN (MongoDb, Express.js, React and Node.js) stack for most of our internal development (Intranet, sales reporting, ETL, automation, etc.). MongoDb is a key part of the flexibility of this stack, allowing us to model dynamic and complex data very quickly -- a huge advantage working in an agile development environment with short dev cycles and heavy reliance on iteration/refactoring.

Pros

Being a NoSQL, document-based database, MongoDb allows me to think about data NOT in terms of rows, columns, tables and keys, but in terms of complex hierarchical JSON-like documents that very closely resemble how the data is presented and used. This is incredibly valuable when quickly stubbing out a new app's feature set and the data requirements for it, with the added advantage that MongoDb works seemlessly within a MEAN/MERN development framework. Also, the learning curve is greatly shortened by MongoDb University, which is a free set of training courses taught by MongoDb, Inc., Engineers. It's an amazing free resource for the neophyte Mongo developer.

Cons

Because MongoDb doesn't have a schema, deeply nested objects can become needlessly complex if the developer doesn't have a strong understanding of hit/her data. Queries requiring joins of complex object structures can be slow in non-optimized, under-powered environments.

Powerful data base that allows high performance, continuous growth and high availability in storage

When working with this database, the expansion became easier and much more economical than the relational data base due to the horizontal scaling, distributing the load across all the nodes, which allowed the organization to store many more data and perform queries. manufacturing very quickly

Pros

Queries can be made quickly because the data is connected and interlaced thanks to the ID that is given to each document, the search is simpler; in addition, it has the facility to balance the loads which allows a better storage of files, it does not have to pay for the license, it contains a high security with advanced user management, the semi-structured or structured databases can be easily adapted, you can program the tasks, you have tools for the analysis of the data, using this data base the neck of bottles generated in the relational databases is completely eliminated

Cons

When running mongoldb uses all the free RAM which works as the cache, when the amount of data exceeds 100GB it usually has performance problems, when making a copy the verification and the durability is committed, when making a writing on the base of data the same is blocked which drastically reduces the concurrence

4.63/5 out of 344 reviews