All MongoDB Reviews

Joseph

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Reviewed May 2023

Agrxis Review on MongoDB

My time using MongoDB has been excellent. MongoDB has become my go-to database choice because I work with data a lot. I have been able to handle a variety of rapidly changing data requirements with ease thanks to its flexibility and scalability. I like the document-based paradigm since it fits my data's dynamic nature nicely. I've been able to swiftly adapt and iterate thanks to the ability to store and query data in a schema-less manner. It has never been easier to obtain and analyze data effectively because to MongoDB's robust query language and indexing capabilities. My development process has been sped up by the easy connection with well-known programming languages and frameworks, allowing me to concentrate on creating strong and feature-rich applications. Along the road, any problems I met into were also greatly helped by the active community and thorough documentation. As a result, MongoDB has significantly changed the way I work with data by giving me access to a dependable, scalable, and adaptable database solution that meets all of my requirements.

PROS

MongoDB's unmatched flexibility and scalability are what I liked best about it. MongoDB has changed the game for me as someone who deals with continually evolving data formats and requirements. The document-based architecture enables me to store data in a manner that closely resembles the entities and connections seen in the real world, making it highly intuitive and simple to use. The dynamic schema gives me the flexibility I need to iterate quickly by allowing me to modify and develop my data model without being constrained. MongoDB's extraordinary capacity to scale has proven invaluable in helping me manage increasing data volumes and high-performance applications with ease. With MongoDB, I have the flexibility to scale horizontally with sharding or vertically with replica sets to match my changing demands. Additionally, data retrieval and analysis are now a snap because to the robust query language, numerous indexing options, and aggregation architecture.

CONS

If I had to pick one thing about MongoDB that I disliked the least, it would be the steep learning curve that comes with its sophisticated capabilities and intricate setups. MongoDB is a strong and feature-rich database that offers a variety of capabilities that may take some time and work to completely understand and efficiently use.

Reviewed August 2020

Great data storage solution with space for improvement

Using MongoDB for years, mostly as local storage in docker containers. Latest project is based on cloud solution.

PROS

I like the Atlas Cloud solution. It enables various tricks and cross-integrations of single database between multiple apps (containers) with simple user management - for a reasonable price.

CONS

I cannot get over this Atlas Compass UX issue - I want to open at least two "tabs" with collections at the same time. This is not possible and even worse, when you switch between collections, thee state is completely reset. So I'm compiling the search query carefully with all the commas, brackets and identifiers, I often need to search for ID from another collection or maybe from the same collection. When i change collection scope -> BAM! The whole query is gone :( The input should retain its actual value... Second "issue": When it comes to schema changes in living DB, sometimes it behaves unexpectedly (no error, no data). Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I would like to know it...

Reason for choosing MongoDB

Document orientation, cloud feature, high security, price

Terrible security.

Trevor

Oil & Energy, 201-500 employees

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed November 2020

Cheap Mongo DB

Built several multi-node clusters for data warehousing for ETL tools. Had a lot of issues early on to get it working. Documentation 2 years ago + was spotty but now its a lot better. Not to mention the software has evolved to include features sorely missing awhile back. We moved away from thsi product as it doesnt allow backups as robust as MSSQL and oracle but its great for certain types of data needs.

PROS

Can use a free version of it. And does allow clustering of it inclusive.

CONS

Compass client tool is useless versus other DB software tools. Pretty much all cli based access ot the collections within

Reason for choosing MongoDB

3rd party software only supported this at the time. We have since moved away from that 3rd party software and this platform.

Ajay kumar

Information Technology and Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2023

One of the best database for full stack development

With the large amount of built-in functions, I don't need to write some complicated queries in my project. I can also easily integrate with any of my projects. I won't need to extraneously install packages or tools needed to use the MongoDB Atlas. They also provide a custom role option for the CRUD option. This makes it more practical to use. Unlike other MySQL databases, MongoDB uses the BSON type to store data. that makes the database more fast and robust. And they also provide tools like MogoDB Compass for easier management. I can easily shift my data from one database to another using tools like Mongodump and Mongorestore. also one of the main reasons for me using MongoDB for its security. because they use popular platforms like AWS, Google Cloud, and Microsoft Azure to store data.

PROS

One of the fastest MySQL databases with a user-friendly database. You don't have to put that much stress into learning the MongoDB. The enormity of the built-in options makes this user easy to implement on their project. and easy to integrate with any framework (such as Node.js,Djanco, etc.). The detailed documentation with examples makes this even easier to use (in my opinion, most tools fail on complicated documentation with a lot of examples). The documentation provided by them was easy for even a beginner to understand. They also provide custom integration with top cloud-based platforms like AWS, Google Cloud, and Microsoft Azure. With the free storage space of 500 MP, everyone can use their database with a low amount of limitation.

CONS

From my point of view, I don't see any things I dislike about the MongoDB. They provided all the necessary things that I wanted.

Pricing and Sever Speed is the main Reason

Reviewed July 2022

Java developer on MongoDB.

PROS

MongoDB is for me the top database for microservices applications. It scales great and is easy to use. It has many integrations with popular programming languages. It is easy to configure it for heavy loads.

CONS

It is a NoSQL database by which it can be a certain entry threshold for beginners. Correctly selecting and setting up indexes can be a problem.

Reason for choosing MongoDB

MongoDB was simpler and just good enough for our use case.

Reasons for switching to MongoDB

We moved away from the amazon platform.

Darian

Insurance, 201-500 employees

Reviewed June 2022

Review of MongoDB

We used Mongo to host some incoming user data on one of our portals. We needed a solution that could host variable length data where the format could change semi-irregularly. Mongo was both quick to implement and reliable in use and has caused us no problems once we finished all the configurations.

PROS

MongoDB was our go-to solution for a NoSQL database due to the ease of installation and simplicity. We had used Mongo before for smaller projects but decided to use the MongoDB Atlas service to have a reliable instance online. Using the hosted version alleviated a lot of the configuration issues we had experienced also, although it isn't required to use the hosted version depending on the use case.

CONS

The visualization aspect of Mongo constantly was an issue for our team. We wanted to display dashboards of our data through a variety of methods but most were difficult to implement using Mongo, or were simple/slow at best. There was also a lot of trouble trying to connect MongoDB Atlas with our AWS VPC, specifically so that our cloud functions could access it.

Reason for choosing MongoDB

We previously used Mongo for an original version of our project, and when considering alternatives we decided to stick with what we were used to.

1 employee

Reviewed February 2023

Maybe my new favourite way to store data

Very positive, allowed me to run a website with many many thousands of data entries, and all the usual features like relations and performance management that you would come to expect from a tool like MongoDB

PROS

Object oriented data storage is quickly becoming more popular and MongoDB makes it very easy to dip your toes into, and its blazing fast.

CONS

Adoption while fast, is still not there globally which means often resources on the web can be a bit scarce when compared to other database types.

Reasons for switching to MongoDB

I wanted something that felt more modern and SQL seemed to be falling behind in that regard!

Heshani

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Reviewed September 2019

Fastest leap In database management

I use mongo with our applications. For any set of data, this is the best database.

PROS

Really speedy and requires less memory. We can create collections without a definite number of rows and columns to come. We can add data without restrictions It gives a JSON output which is really easy to work with Easy to add , edit and remove data If a certain section has more than one data, we can insert them as sub arrays, and it makes the developments so flexible.

CONS

The free version allows limited memory so that we have to upgrade it to insert unlimited data. Other than that this is the best.

Reasons for switching to MongoDB

We had to move as it takes very few memory and it is really fast. Also for data in a certain collection there are no limitations like fixed number is rows or columns. So that we can freely use it as we wish.

Reviewed February 2022

My viewpoint on MongoDB

It is very much fast and agile in nature.

PROS

It is very very much easy to use. It also manages multi server clusters. It has all the feature for documentations. I will definitely recommend everyone to use.

CONS

It is difficult to work with complex data.

Reasons for switching to MongoDB

Becausei want to try MongoDB and yes its worthy too.

Bakare

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed June 2019

MongoDB Management Experience

Useful for modelling social graph data and catalog data

PROS

Easy setup with various SDKs Good replication strategy Aggregation modelling is very straight forward

CONS

Collection indexing is very hard to update Increased memory usage

Reason for choosing MongoDB

It was the easiest to setup, we were developing a POC and needed easy integrations to push to market faster

Vinicius

Information Technology and Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed April 2022

Review for MongoDB

MongoDB is great for document-based storage on cloud environments.

PROS

Easy to use, learn and find support documentation. Fully cloud-based database.

CONS

Limit size for document and no transaction support.

Reason for choosing MongoDB

Costs and easy horizontal scale out (sharding).

Anil

Marketing and Advertising, 5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewed June 2022

Database Platform MongoDB

I used MongoDB for my customers website to cover all the databases and working with developers to implement them.

PROS

Virtualization is perfect feature for MongoDB to understand your dataset and performings.

CONS

MongoDb is quite expensive when you compare other kind of database platforms.

Reasons for switching to MongoDB

Microsoft SQL Server is quite hard to use and is not dashboard friendly.

Reviewed November 2021

MongoDB is my choice of nosql / document database for paired use with Node.JS

I needed a free but industry standard database for my Node.JS based library management application. MongoDB was just what I needed, I did consider MySQL but I wanted to try nosql / document orientated. It has been fantastic - it's hard to believe productions like these are free for all.

PROS

I love how MongoDB integrates with code in such a way that queries look just like any other code. I also love how the documents from MongoDB are returned natively to Node.JS as objects without any mapping at all. MongoDB is an intuitive and very performant database, I recommend trying it if you haven't.

CONS

The big thing with MongoDB you have to get your head around is the whole redundant data thing - it is usually recommended that you store a lot of redundant data in your documents instead of having data normalised with relationships as you would in a relational DB. Have redundant data can make your query code really simple, but it can make your update code very complex / cumbersome. However, you can opt out of this approach and use MongoDB with relationships - I would recommend using Mongoose (an npm package) that will handle a lot of the work with relationships for you.

Reason for choosing MongoDB

I wanted to try nosql / document orientated.

Tyson

Financial Services, 51-200 employees

Reviewed June 2019

Amazingly Flexible Database Capability

PROS

I don't usually rave about products, but I do about MongoDB. * MongoDB's schemaless document-centric approach to database makes it easy to store any kind of data I need to, even subdocuments and array fields with minimal fuss within code or tools. This allows for a lot of flexibility and makes it easy to upgrade or refactor existing software. * MongoDB's indexes provide amazing performance even in a schemaless world. Simple and compound indexes, as found in the relational database world, are just the start. Add to that multikey indexes (indexes over array fields), string and geolocation indexes, and indexes where entries expire documents with time. Mongo has it all. * MongoDB's approach to scalability - using replica sets for high availability and fault-tolerant failover and sharding databases over a potentially large number of servers - makes it easy to scale huge amounts of data without overly expensive hardware and failover complexity. * MongoDB driver support is available for a variety of languages. * Mongo University, free graded courses covering various aspects of MongoDB from development to administrative activities to security, etc., offers a solid path to learning.

CONS

I'm a huge proponent of MongoDB but because of the nature of schemaless document-oriented databases, there are still some problems for which a relational database is still the answer. There are some applications and technical domains where relational databases still have a huge lead over Mongo for performance.

shashank

Information Technology and Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed April 2019

Best No-SQL Database.

MongoDB has no proper structure like rows and columns in RDBMS. There is a feature called indexing where each and every row in the MongoDB database is identified with a unique id. The unique id is provided for each and every new document. The queries are easily understandable without involving any complex joins, unions. It also obeys the Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, Durability known as ACID properties which are essential for a database. MongoDB supports sharding means huge data can be divided into smaller data and can be stored in multiple databases across a network. Different collections in MongoDB can be clubbed together and it also supports transactions which involve data needed from multiple documents across a collection. Based on these properties I have worked on different use cases and because of these features, work became simpler.

PROS

1) There is no fixed schema like RDBMS. We can alter the table structure insert any number of rows and columns. 2) Data retrieving from this No-SQL database is very much fast when compared to other No-SQL databases. 3) Very easy to install. Provides JSON data support. 4) Can be integrated into different languages like Java, PHP. 5) There are no complex joins of queries like RDBMS. 6) The technical support can be available from MongoDB clients in case of any complex issues that occur while working. 7) Having extra features like a backup of stored data, sharing the data to multiple systems across the network is an added advantage. 8) Handles unstructured data i.e the data which has no format, no proper structure.

CONS

I did not find any flaws with this software.

Jean

Information Technology and Services, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2022

MongoDB Opensource Easy and Powerful

Because the data storage is in JSON-like documents, it is very easy to understand and visualize. Used in class, and currently implementing an app for a physical therapist that tracks clients exercises and progress. I like the fact that the storage is encrypted.

PROS

I was introduced to MongoDB in a bootcamp. It is free and opensource. I wondered how good free could be. In my opinion it beat firebase. Objects can be defined graphically or via your code. It is easy to interface with Postman. Commercial upgrades are available. Currently using Mongo for an app. Supports Node.js. there is a lot of documentation available for beginners.

CONS

Not suitable for complex transactions. An occasional backup is recommended. After a crash, you need to check your logs. In fact, you may not know it crashed until you check your logs. With a crash or reset documents may fall into an "unconfirmed" category and are lost. This may have bee corrected in more current versions. I don't know.

Just more powerful.

Reasons for switching to MongoDB

I really liked the JSON graphical interface for defining the objects, ease of use and integration with Node.js

Wei Chun

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Reviewed December 2022

Easiest NoSQL DB for production app

PROS

It's straightforward to set up and offers multiple SDKs for use in application projects. The documentation is also readily updated and quickly followed.

CONS

Document size and nesting is limited in MongoDB, so if you have a requirement of document size more than 16MB or needing to have document with more than 100 levels, then this may not be a good choice.

Sayam

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2023

MongoDB- Simply NoSql

PROS

MongoDB is a NoSql DB which helped us to store the non relational data. Searching and storing capacity of this tool is really good as compared to other databases

CONS

If you are moving on it from RDBMS than you may face some issues in the starting else it is really good to go.

501-1,000 employees