• Pros

• "I've used excel to make any kinds of graph before I know the Origin. But origin has more types of graph and it's more delicate. I love it!"

• "The range of features is phenomenal! Basic use is straightforward and integration into my lab was easy. Have been using OriginPro since version 3.0 and have never looked back!"

• "I like the way it handles voluminous experimental data. Quality of graphs are excellent. Marcos features are very helpful. "

• Cons

• "- A bit of an initial learning curve, particularly with understanding the vast number of features. - Experience using formulas is not as easy as excel, though more potentially advanced"

• " With all programs, there exist some problems and issues. However, Origin engineers are very good to remove those on timely basis."

• "its not very user friendly but effective for statistical analysis. Curve fitting and co relation analysis is difficult."

Browse OriginPro Reviews

Laurence from Self-employed

Industry: Plastics

Complete graphing program for technical publications

I have been using it for at probably 15 years. I generate about 1000 graphs a year for publication.

Pros

There are many types of graphs you can make. But the best feature is the quality of the output. I use the highest quality images in my manuscripts and this program delivers them. Most my graphs are of a few types, and it is easy to copy and paste new data (I use Excel) right into the graph, then all you have to do is tweet some of the parameters. I often generate a new publication quality image in two minutes or less from and Excel spreadsheet.

Cons

The first time you use a new graphing feature, it may take some time and help references to get it just right.

Reasons for Choosing OriginPro

The yearly license is convenient and economical, and the quality of the output was top notch

Lee from Cardiff University

Industry: Nanotechnology

I am an extremely satisfied user of Origin 2017/19! Origin is thoroughly recommended!

I use Origin to plot all types of chemical analysis data. There is usually a considerable amount of data to analyse and Origin allows you to plot and present much much more quickly and clearly than in Excel which has saved me so much time and trouble. The plotted data can be manipulated quickly to allow accurate and timely analysis. Once you have made a template, save it to use next time. Mathematical tools are installed as standard to allow calculations at a touch of a button. The list goes on....

Pros

I was introduced to the software at the start of my PhD (surface chemistry) by a few of my colleagues. They all said I should start using it as it was excellent. They were not wrong! The software is extremely easy to use well right out of the blocks. The presentation of data is truly superb, and frankly makes excel plots look extremely dated. Templates can be made as you work to speed up analysis and presenting. Data can be instantly presented in many types of plots and overlays. Calculations that take a relative age (if at all) in Excel take moments in Origin. As a chemist constantly looking at spectra, one of my favourite Origin features is the zoomed inset, which can be added with one click. I have had questions on occassion, and the Origin IT department respond immediately with the answers. I do still use Excel when I have to, but Origin is now my main data analysis tool. I really cannot say enough for Origin. The software and after service is truly excellent!!!

Cons

When I first installed Origin 2019, it took me 5-10 minutes to install the zoomed inset function ;) Seriously, there is nothing to dislike about Origin.

Reasons for Switching to OriginPro

Makes Excel plots look like something from the 1950's. Origin is also so much easier to use quickly analyse data clearly.

The Origin(al) Pro at graphing

Origin Pro allows us to graph and plot scientific data, run data analysis and statistical tests in a single software. The customization of functions and easy export options allows us to integrate Origin Pro into workflows. Origin Pro is a critical asset for Research and Higher Education industry.

Pros

Origin Pro is one of the most feature rich graphing software out there. The ease of use, extensive set of graphing and data analysis options and the ability to set custom functions and plots sets this software much ahead of others. The updates keep adding new features to the existing ones.

Cons

Origin Pro is a very expensive software package. Apart from the very high cost, the size of the installation package and resource requirement makes it hard to use in budget devices. Also the software can be more readily used in Windows than Mac OS.

GUI lost its way

I do data plotting and analysis. Anything from 2D graphs to matrices, 3D plots, spectral analysis and fitting.

Pros

Powerful tool included within the options on data analysis and data plot management

Cons

1. Its interface and menus. Origin has grown massively in ways to customize every possible feature on the menu, let it be data fit or plotting. It produced very complicated and difficult to navigate menus with mirriad of tick boxes, fields, sub-options etc. Some of this make process of using software very painful. 2. Milti peak spectral fit of spectra with difficult base lines.

Response from OriginLab

Replied June 2019

Hello, Thank you for the review. Regarding your comment: ". Multi peak spectral fit of spectra with difficult base lines." Could you please send us a sample case? Sincerely, OriginLab

John from Energy

Industry: Oil & Energy

Origin is a definate personal advantage in my toolkit

Pros

I am able to present data in ways that aren't available in other software packages. The best advantage is being able to present two data streams that have different time scales. This is not easily done with the present business standard software packages. The array of plot types is amazing.

Cons

Origin is constantly updating and adding features so sometimes the help files lag the development in the product.

Reasons for Switching to OriginPro

I needed to sort more than one million data points and plot them on a probability scale.

Jin from UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO

Good product for research use

Good product. All students and postdocs in my group use it on daily basis.

Pros

The figures made from origin is very professional. Data analysis tools are well integrated with various programming language.

Cons

The price is slightly expensive compared with other similar software, however I think it worth the price.

Reasons for Choosing OriginPro

origin privides better data analysis tools than igor.

Alexei from Institute of Physics, University of Tartu

My opinion about Origin

It is excellent software, the best for drawing publication-quality figures, which I used in my rather long career.

Pros

The comparative simplicity of preparing graphs, perfect their quality, variety of features and types of graphs.

Cons

The price of this software is rather high. There are some difficulties with obtaining a desirable result, for example, with merging graphs. It would be great if there was a possibility to click on a data file containing two or three columns of figures and to see the respective graph in the Origin.

Reasons for Switching to OriginPro

Sigmaplot was not so flexible. It had a lot of bugs. However, I used it several years ago, and now this package may work better.

Chelsea from University of Southern California

Excellent customizable options

Excellent, our lab uses it everyday.

Pros

This plotting software is extremely customizable and I’ve never had a problem plotting what I want— it’s only ever a matter of figuring out how to do it! Googling and tutorials are your best friend but overall ease of use for this product is very high.

Cons

The only trouble is sometimes with organizing the window with large projects to visualize everything— I wish there was a way to have the one session spread over two screens in an easier way.

Reasons for Switching to OriginPro

Originally to be able to do y-stack plots easier but then we stayed.

Excellent Package for Data Analysis and Visualization

I have been using OriginPro since 2017. As a researcher working primarily on Operations Research and Statistics I have to plot graphs regularly. OriginPro with its amazing features and user friendly interface is my go-to tool for data visualization and analysis.

Pros

It offers amazing features like curve-fitting and 3-D graphs compared to other plotting softwares. Editing the plots in this software is very easy, it provides a variety of colours, dotted lines in the plot edit, which is very helpful.

Cons

I personally did not find any cons, but it would have been nicer if they extended the trial period for more days for academicians.

Reasons for Switching to OriginPro

Because of the features available to edit the plot, and curve fitting feature for 3-D plot.

Ashok from Rice University

Industry: Nanotechnology

Good Software needs improvement

My overall experience is good at working with this software. I plot a lot of graphs and almost use this software every day for presentation, meeting, and manuscripts. However, being a Mac user, I have a hard time switching between Windows and Mac. The OriginPro team needs to find an option to design software for​ ​ Mac Users.​

Pros

I like Origin Pro since it is easy to plot different graphs. I use this software to plot various graphs with ease. This software is straightforward and easy to use with minimal experience. This software has unlimited features, and you can use them to fit any graphs, smoothens the plots, add error bars, etc. ​This simple software helps almost all the researchers to simplify the graphing workloads and to prepare beautiful figures, images for the presentation, and publication purposes.​

Cons

I do not recommend Origin Pro because of a few reasons. The first reason, it is a bit of expensive software for postdocs and researchers working in academics. Also, this software often freezes and sometimes crashes, and sometimes the program automatically closes. The other major drawback is this application does not​ support Mac Version. To run the program in Mac, you should have use virtualization software​ such as VirtualBox, Parallel Desktop for Mac, etc. ​

Response from OriginLab

Replied July 2019

Hi Ashok, Thank you for the review. Regarding your comment: "Also, this software often freezes and sometimes crashes, and sometimes the program automatically closes. " Could you please let us know what version you are using, and if the crashes occur when you do specific operations? Sincerely, OriginLab

Mircea from University of Texas Rio Grande Valley

Origin Pro

I used Origin for all the graphs embedded in my articles and proposals.

Pros

Technically this is the best software that blends data representation (graphs) and data processing (fitting, modeling) capabilities. I like the quality of graphs and the flexibility selecting the font size, color, type. I do enjoy the possibility to fit the data and an improved simplified Basic (or elementary C) would be welcomed. Some issues with exponents and special functions may be noticed in some (few) cases.

Cons

1. Imagine that you opened two Origin programs. Each has a different graph and you want to add another graph from the other origin file (opened). While it is possible to paste the figure you have no control over the transferred figure. I guess that as we are playing more and more frequently with complex graphs this may become an issue. 2. I have some data that can be represented as columns with numbers. I have three of them but I have a bad time playing with 3D graphs because: 1. Simple selecting the columns as X, Y, and Z does not generate a 3D graph. 2. It is not intuitive to move from one 3D graph to another type of 3 D Graph. 3. Simulations are a huge problem, mainly if the range of parameters is broad. Sometimes I have to drive the simulations in order to get the best outcome. Some improvement may be important. 4. We are starting to play with complex and artistic graphs. I do suggest to add at least a Microsoft Paint as a component of the software and if possible to keep these figures active. 5. Not very happy with a new file name.... however, I will survive. Technically, please avoid doing this frequently.

Vahe from NDC Technologies

Industry: Industrial Automation

OriginPro: Pros and Cons.

I like OriginPro very much. It allows me to accomplish most of my analysis tasks on fairly large data sets which are often beyond Excel's capabilities. However, I still use Excel for certain things since its capabilities are symmetric with respect to rows and columns [e.g., I can sum up values of a column and assign it to a cell on that column. I am not aware of this capability in Origin]. I also like the customer service since I have had many occasions to seek help from them. They are really helpful and often resolve issues within a few days.

Pros

High quality plotting and data presentation along with statistical analysis and data modeling.

Cons

It is not fast enough particularly with large data sets. It does not seem to use multi-core capabilities of CPU/GPU's. There seems to be more emphasis on developing new graphs and presentations rather that new analysis functionality. Origin has very little AI and machine learning capabilities! Origin needs a more friendlier interface in implementing expressions and formulas in column and row calculations e.g., why is accessing parameter cell values so difficult in column fill tab. Origin 2019 is slower than the previous versions!

Reasons for Switching to OriginPro

Excel does not have the graphics quality and ability to manipulate graphs in real-time (i.e., zooming on a particular area in Origin is really helpful). The gadgets are another plus. The analytical capabilities of OriginPro are far superior. And finally the limitations of excel with large columns (particularly in < 2007 version) was a major issue for me. Even with the new version Excel, when dealing with large data sets is less reliable and often freezes or even crashes!

Matthew Gormley from University of California San Francisco

Industry: Research

OriginPro enables powerful, precise data analysis and presentation

As an academic facility producing protein mass spectroscopy data, our community relies on us to not only acquire precise data, but to further analyze and present it in a means that is coherent and easily understood. OriginPro enables visual dissemination of newly acquired knowledge in a way that is mentally palatable to both novices and experts alike in the field and beyond.

Pros

OriginPro is a massively capable data analysis and plotting package. I have been using it for years and still feel as though I have just scratched the surface. From genome-wide association studies using Manhattan plots, to comparative pathway analysis using trellis plots, along with the ability to combine analysis from different projects with ease, producing publication quality figures has become near routine.

Cons

OriginPro can be intimidating at first blush. It is so capable, and the plots it produces so customizable, that it is almost too much. However, with patience and practice, along with a plethora of online assistance, beginners can surf the learning curve and produce plots with such clarity that it makes Excel output appear clunky in comparison.

Capability and quality.

Reasons for Switching to OriginPro

The quality of the output is far superior.

Dariusz from Washington University in St Louis

Working on Origin2019b

Pros

I have been been working on Origin for more than a decade, starting back with version 6.0. For comparison I also tried other comparable software like MS Excel, Grapher or SigmaPlot and in my opinion nothing really beats Origin. The software seems very complicated for beginners and definitely is designed for a serious statistical, etc. work but few hours spent deciphering features pays back multiple times. It's all about data, data, data...Variability of predefined templates for various types of graphs is large. In addition convenience and freedom in manipulating them to your own needs/way is just fantastic and simple. I very often fit data and have to apply my own customized functions that can be easily build in the Origin code and stored as a function file and used when needed. This is very convenient.

Cons

- Frequent upgrades to a new versions that do not add much changes to a core features. - complicated manipulation of appearance of heat maps. I have troubles with getting smooth graphs from noisy data as I cannot find option to artificially smooth maps without modifying underlying data except changing graph "speed mode" (and that is not strictly map smoothing). -More specific: restructured menu in version 2019b. It looks like many functions I could open with click of right mouse button just on the graph are gone (e.g. layer contents, etc.). All takes more time now as I have to find them in the upper menu. Could you bring them back?

Response from OriginLab

Replied June 2019

Hello Dariusz, Thank you very much for the review! Regarding your specific comments: Heatmap: Can you please send a project to us so we can see the issue and try help you? Smoothing of noisy data: Again, please send us a project. Right-click context menu: Yes, we did rearrange because some menus were too long and users with smaller laptop screens were running into issues. Specifically for Layer Contents, you can press the F12 shortcut key on a graph to bring it up. Also, in versions 2019 and higher, we have a Start button on the bottom left where you can type m to see all the menu options related to your search phrase. Sincerely, OriginLab

Jay from University of Maryland Baltimore County

Industry: Research

Excellent graphing and analysis program

Origin has saved me a lot of time and has the ability to produce a large number of very high quality graphs. It is extremely useful for prototyping analysis before committing a large amount of time to programming.

Pros

Aside from the very high quality graphs, there is sufficient analysis capability to solve many problems without further programming. I programming is required, there is an internal version of Python that is sufficiently capable plus a scripting language for problems that are done many times. There are some flaws that are described below. If my experience is as before, Originlab will fix the problems.

Cons

A common operation is to mark a subset of a column for analysis with the mouse or by . When the data sets are large, this frequently does not work. the marking either freezes with the mouse or drops the marking with . There is an alternate method using , but this can be awkward and can only mark one column. After using Merge Graphs, there are two operations that are frequent. 1) Rearranging graphs. This used to be easy. Now Origin has "improved" the system to a clumsy method 2) After merging, one might want to use Layer Management. This frequently fails requiring hand manipulation of the multiple graphs on a page. There is a link to MATLAB, but not everyone has MATLAB (expensive). There needs to be a link to one of the free MATLAB clones, say SCILAB. I would like to see 1) a user defined floating menu for the most frequently used items. Perhaps 2) a key shortcut for inserting text. Perhaps

Response from OriginLab

Replied April 2019

Dear Jay, Thank you for the review, and for your feature suggestions. We will definitely consider them. Regarding issues with merging and rearranging graphs, can you please send us a sample project so we can look into improving this area? Sincerely, OriginLab

A personnal take on OriginPro

From my experience with the use of OrogonPro, OriginPro has the robustness and finesse that most - and infact, a great number of scientists and engineers, envision as "friendly" in terms of accomplishing tasks. Again, the picture quality generated from OriginPro 2018b is just awesome.

Pros

The ease of plotting graphs - highlight and drop into an already open chart and it is done. In a recent publication, it was beautiful for the Figure 6 to super-impose two different bar charts into one; using light and dark shades and height differences to distinguish two different features of the same material. I remember someone asking me with awe what software I used to plot Figure 6. Even before I could answer, another from within the audience answered "... I guess Origin.."

Cons

First: OriginPro 2019 crashed and shut down my applications on several occasions. I was so frustrated, I carefully avoided using it for anything even though I didn't uninstall it. I reverted to Origin 2018b, which has worked very well. Second: OriginPro doesn't have the flexibility to deconvolute XPS data - not if one doesn't know the number of peaks. Even with the number of peaks, OriginPro doesn't work that awesome compared to say XPS Peak4.1, which is what I eventually used for my XPS deconvolution. Third: It would be much better if tutorial videos or materials are someone user interfaced. In fact, let the user choose "NEVER show again" as an option if the user is very comfortable with that feature. However, a novice will find it very useful right off the bath. Fourth: From just opening OriginPro 2019, it doesn't seem to have that crisp clear image quality that Origin2018b has. Just my take as I saw it.

Response from OriginLab

Replied April 2019

Hello, Thank you very much for your comments on OriginPro! Regarding issues with version 2019 crashing, PLEASE contact us so we can work with you to resolve the issue. We have not seen any general issue with 2019 with our user base, so we would very much appreciate information from you and try help resolve this issue for you. Sincerely, Easwar Iyer OriginLab

Gabriel from University of Granada

Origin Pro is a great tool for biomechanic analysis

As I say before It allow me to apply complex algorithms in other way I couldn´t apply. I want to learn LabTalk programming to have more options, but this will be in the future. In general terms I am very happy with Origin. I use it almost every day to analyze graphs, apply filters. I thinks it is a powerful tool for biomechanichs analysis (I am also very happy with the apps specifics for this aim, such as C3D importer, EMG analysis tool, etc.). Also the developer of the apps help you a lot. I talk with two of them and they give me a lot of ideas and solutions to my problems.

Pros

I worked for a biomechanic lab. Before using OriginLab I try to use to use other softwares such as GNU Octave, R, Python to do signal analysis (finding peaks, apply filters such as Butterworth Filter, Savitzky-Golay, etc.) but I am not very good in programming and I have a lot of troubles. OriginLab has made my life easier as apply this filter is really easy. I also use statistic capabilities of this softwares and create beautiful graphs for presentations or manuscripts.

Cons

I use it in an old computer and I have some troubles with some functions. For example I couldn´t open a project directly and I should open a new project and drag and drop the project into it… In my new computer I do not have this problem. Other trouble I had was that sometimes Ctrl + Z didn´t run well when creating graph. I save the graph in every new step to not loss information. And I also have little problems with the copy and paste arrays of number from and to excel (sometimes I have to do twice). But this problems where minor problems compared with all the things I have do with Origin. It is helping me a lot in my PhD.

Michael from BRI/City of Hope

Origin 212019b

Quantitative analyses of light/confocal/whole slide scan data, and graphical presentation of results. We are very interested in high-dimensional single cell-level analyses of tissue and tumor heterogeneity. Very large data sets are generated. Between Fiji/ImageJ and Origin we can accomplish a lot. We get the feeling that there is useful information within Origin that we cannot get to but which could be useful. On the other hand, speed is an issue, and if Origin was faster it would really help.

Pros

The most outstanding aspects of Origin are: 1. The depth of its analysis and visualization capabilities. 2. Its ability to handle large (> 3 million data points), and the associated Speed Mode. Apparently the limit is 90 million elements. 3. The outstanding customer support, which is knowledgeable and responsive. They are constantly doing their best to help us solve analysis and visualization issues arising with quantitative treatment of image data.

Cons

Origin is great software. What can be frustrating is: 1. Figuring out what Origin can do. There are all kinds of capabilities that are not always immediately evident. 2. Graphing speed. As one approaches a million points, Origin can get very slow even on a reasonably powerful workstation. It is not clear why this is the case, but memory and graphics card resources are not used at anything approaching their potential. 3. The worksheets. They are very powerful, but also very column oriented. There are times when it is more efficient to go into Excel and then bring the data back into Origin. There is no reason to re-create Excel, but a more spreadsheet-like cell-oriented mode would be really helpful.

Gaurab from University Of New Hampshire

Origin Pro 2019

I am solving critical analysis and statistcal interpretation and analysis of my data geneated by experiements. It gave me a wide range of options about looking and analyzing the data. Also, change my perspectives to seee and analyze the data and about interpretations. I highly recommend beginners in material science or interdiscilinary researchers to use this software to not only able to produce high quality gaphs but also enrich their percpectve about analyzation and statistical interpretation.

Pros

It produces high-quality analysis and graphs. A wide range of analysis can be performed.

Cons

It can improve the database of fitting curves and simulations encompassing more from material science characterization. I would also like it to include more analysis like FTIR, XRD and Raman database. Along with transfer and analysis of embedded high-quality fluroscence images. Such inclusions would have more demand of origin in among the material science research.

Response from OriginLab

Replied June 2019

HI Gaurab, Thank you very much for the review! Regarding your comment: "...database of fitting curves and simulations encompassing more from material science characterization." Could you please let us know what fitting functions need to be added? If you can provide a reference or a named list, that would be very helpful. We have an App that can fetch new fitting functions from our website: https://www.originlab.com/fileExchange/details.aspx?fid=490 It would be easy for us to add more functions if we know what to add. Regarding your comment: "...transfer and analysis of embedded high-quality fluroscence images" can you also please provide some details? Sincerely, OriginLab

Achala from Louisiana State University

Industry: Chemicals

Function fitting tools provided with origipro

While I was setting my fitting functions as well as doing data analysis, the staff you I contacted through chat were really helpful .I was able to solve many confusions by just chatting with them.This may be not directly related to this review but I really appreciate originlab staff for their kind support.

Pros

I used originlab 8.5 for months and recently started originpro. It's very easy to use as it comes with a wide range of fitting functions.The reason I am really impressed is the way it helps to build the user defined functions.I was fed up of trying many software and programming tools, as I haven't a strong knowledge on programming.Then I got to know about originpro. But I couldn't find an inbuilt function which fits my purpose there.Then I followed the online instructions in originlab site and wrote simple code myself within a short period of time and unbelievably it worked.

Cons

As per my experience so far I used Originpro for integration,differentiation,non-linear function fitting,smoothing raw data and model fitting etc.The thing I least like is the "initial guess estimation step" in function fitting.I noticed that the final result is significantly depends on the values we feed as initial guesses.Sometimes it's hard to guess all the variables.I believe parameter initialization codes can be set to solve this issue.But the explanation in the originlab site is not quite helpful for me.

Response from OriginLab

Replied May 2019

Hi Achala, Thank you for the review! Regarding your comment: "The thing I least like is the "initial guess estimation step" in function fitting.I noticed that the final result is significantly depends on the values we feed as initial guesses" This typically happens if the fitting function is over parameterized, Would you please send us a dataset and function where you see tise issue, so we can look at the details and help you further? Sincerely, OriginLab Tech Support

James from Dematic Corp.

Replace Excel and Google Sheets

In my work I must capture hours of data for static electricity on equipment. This data is sampled at a rate of 100ms. The amount of data can be 100k to 300k records (rows). I attempted to use Sheets to break up the data and organize it in the fashion I required. It became difficult to work with when adding new data. I then tried to use Excel to perform the same action and create graphs. Excel could handle the data calculations, however, it required formulas in the cells and back end macros. This was time consuming. Additionally Excel was not consistent with graphs. OriginPro solved all of my issues. Importing a data sample of 200k records would take me 15-20minutes to complete the import and processing in Excel. The same process can be completed in under 5 minutes with OriginPro. I am new to OriginPro and have yet to take full advantage of all the features offered.

Pros

What I like most is the ability to provide one formula and/or script for an entire column. This is a great time saver. In Excel or Google Sheets I would have to either put a formula in every row for a specific column or write macros to perform calculations if a cell contained data. With OriginPro I can enter a single formula at the top of the column to handle all rows in that column. Best part of this is I do not need to make adjustments when adding more rows.

Cons

When zooming in on a graph, it does not center on the window and there is no way to center or pan. I have to zoom back out then zoom in on the area I want to see. It would be nice to have an easy method to return to 100%.

Response from OriginLab

Replied June 2019

Hi James, Thank you for the review! Regarding your comment about zooming, you are referring to page level zoom which can be controlled by the drop-down for zoom percentage in the Standard toolbar, but also can be done more easily by just holding the A key and using the mouse scroll wheel. To revert back to 100%, you can use the shortcut key CTRL+W. Note that you can also zoom and pan inside the layer to change axes range easily as well. All such shortcuts are documented here: https://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/HotKey-in-Origin Sincerely, OriginLab

Wei from UCLA

Industry: Chemicals

A very power software for scientific plot

The overall experience with OriginPro is pretty good for me. The software can help me generate professional plots and I do believe most of the plots in the scientific papers are produced by OriginPro. I did and will highly recommend this software to my labmates, my classmates, and my colleagues who also in the scientific field. I do believe they also love this powerful tool!

Pros

I have used this software for scientific plots for more than 10 years. I can definitely say this software really help me a lot, not only for my undergraduate studies, term papers, scientific report, but also for my master thesis, and even PhD dissertation. Most of the scientific plots in my dissertation are generated from OriginPro. I can easily plot a beautiful figure in 5 min. Many of the embedded plotting tools are really good and they even make my plots more beautiful. I pretty much love this software!

Cons

The software can only be used in Windows system but not in Mac system. So when I need to use OriginPro to plot my data, I have to switch the system from Mac to Windows. After I finished the plotting and I still need to go back to Mac system, which is annoying and to be honest, is a waste of time. This is what I like least about this software.

Caiwei from University of Maryland College Park

Industry: Research

Highly customizable data fitting and graphical presentation

Pros

With the spreadsheet-like workspace, this software is not difficult to get a hand on for amateurs who are more familiar with Excel, yet it is more powerful than the latter. For data-intensive research where readily available polynomials are not always around, Origin really stands out in terms of customized data fitting and rapid generation of fit parameters. Besides user-defined curve fitting, it also has a vast collection of built-in functions. The graphing feature is also impressive, with numerous options for two- and three-dimensional plots that meet most of my research needs. In one way or another, it is like Excel and Matlab combined, but less cumbersome than the latter, and more capable in data fitting and graphical presentation than the former. Origin can be integrated with other programming and data analysis tools such as Matlab, Labview, Excel and Python.

Cons

While the basics are quick to get comfortable with, the more advanced features do take some time and effort to master.

Rylee from Temple University

Origin for Chemistry Research

I had difficulties with some of the things I was doing and the customer service is great. Very responsive (my problem was solved within a day) and lots of recommendations on the solution to my issue.

Pros

The ease with which I can import my data. All instruments save and export in different file formats and Origin allows you to import all sorts of file types so you don't have to worry about having a particular format or converting it before using.

Cons

Response from OriginLab

Replied May 2019

Hi Rylee, Thank you for the review! Regarding your comment: "Sometimes adding data from different worksheets to the same graph or plot is difficult and I think this is something that should be improved." You can add data to a graph by simply selecting columns from same sheet or other sheets, and drag and drop into the graph layer. This videos shows how: https://youtu.be/oIqqwovfFfU If this does not work well for you, can you send one of your Origin projects and explain further what you are looking for? Sincerely, OriginLab

FRANCEMIR from Censupeg

Statistical treatment and graphics

The Origin Program helped me a lot. I currently save a lot of time in data processing. I have been using the software since 2011 as a master and PhD student. I currently use it as a teacher in higher education, for mathematical modeling, statistical analysis and regression analysis.

Pros

The versatility was the one that most caught the attention of Originpro. It is possible to use it for several tasks, such as advanced calculations, mathematical models for experimental data, statistical calculations, linear and polynomial regression, in addition to plotting the most diverse types of graphs, coming from different sources, such as laboratory equipment. Example, HPLC (High Performance Liquid Chromatography), spectrophotometers (UV-VIS, Infrared).

Cons

With is a powerful tool, you need a basic knowledge of computers to take advantage of its full potential. In addition, it is necessary to know a little about file extensions, such as jpeg (image), pdf (portable document format), and csv (comma-separated text files).

Jess from Weatherford

Industry: Oil & Energy

Excellent Data Analysis and Visualization Package

I really love this software and have been using it as my preferred data analysis package since 2001 when I started my professional career. Previously I had used Excel, Igor and Axum (not extinct). I wish I really had time to fully leverage the amazing power available, but like most users I suspect I only utilize 10% of the capability.

Pros

The statistical analysis, curve fitting and regression built ins are outstanding. I also utilize the multi-axis graphing capability which is excellent. I really appreciate the customer service as well, they are good at helping unravel even complex needs into relatively simple steps in the software. Once additional gem is the built in data digitization for Cartesian and Polar coordinate images.

Cons

This software has so many features it is mind boggling, so it is sometimes very hard to find what you are looking for. In addition, I find the array math based formulas and calculations difficult since I learned data analysis in Excel and still use that for management and business analysis. that makes jumping back into the array programming difficult when I first switch back to Origin. Origin has added Excel like formulation to the software, but I haven't figured out how to set that feature up as yet. I really need to digitize circular plots that are non-polar coordinate.

ANINDITA from University of Michigan

Industry: Research

OriginPro: Hands down one of the best softwares for handling research data

Mostly research related work.

Pros

I have been an origin user since the time I stepped into the field of research. And I have no hesitation in saying that handling data would be so much more problematic without Origin. Here are a few of the many advantages of using origin: 1. The wide range of options/functions makes data handling easier. Simply pasting data and related information in Origin Pro makes it so much easier to keep track of data. 2. Found this spectrum deconvolution option so useful. Instead of having to refer to complicated software available online, origin seemed to be a way more convenient option. 3. Simulate Curve is another great feature that helps me save a lot of time without having to go through the tiresome process of fitting the data with a function. Using the simulate option allows me to get a preview of the function's curve. That way it becomes easier to predict if a dataset would fit a particular function or not without physically having to fit the data.

Cons

The only complaint I have is data transfer between different versions of Origin. If I have an origin file that was saved using older versions of the Origin software that I try to open in a newer version it gets all messed up invariably.

Response from OriginLab

Replied June 2019

Hi Anindita, Thank you very much for the review! Regarding your comment: "If I have an origin file that was saved using older versions of the Origin software that I try to open in a newer version it gets all messed up invariably." Please send us a project that illustrates the issue, so we can look into this further. Sincerely, OriginLab

Greg from Indianapolis Museum of Art at Newfields

A lifelong partnership

I am doing relatively simple plotting of scientific data, but I take advantage of the myriad cosmetic plotting options, the onboard statistics, and the easy portability of the files and output into publication quality images.

Pros

I feel with Origin that anything is possible when I need to present my data. The options are staggering, and your biggest obstacle will be imaging what you want to show and then finding the right keystrokes to take your dataset to an amazing graphic. I've been using this platform for scientific publishing since graduate school. Anytime I change jobs I always negotiate in the purchase of Origin for the lab. I've made a number of converts among my colleagues at every new lab.

Cons

Origin is a bit pricey compared to other programs, but many universities obtain site liscences for it, and if you get one copy and pay for annual maintenance, you get a second install that comes in handy if you have home and work computers. The other issue is the complexity of the software that is necessary to make all these options available. They have made big strides in showing you how through tutorials, and their customer service is superb. If you have an idea, they can show you how to make the software work for you to realize it.

Nachiket from Leibniz Institute for Working Environment and Human Factors (IfADo)

Industry: Research

OriginPro is the sweet spot between professional custom-coded analysis and amateur spreadsheeting

We are using OriginPro mainly for graphing and analysis for intravital microscopy , autocorrelation analysis and statistics.

Pros

OriginPro has very powerful analysis capabilities built-in, and these are now further expanded due to the Apps feature. In principle, all of these capabilities can be written as scripts in Python/Matlab, but the convenience and speed of OriginPro is unparalleled. The algorithms for guessing the initial values for the non-linear fitting functions in OriginPro are some of the best and reliable that I have come across.

Cons

OriginPro has an extremely dated interface and it is hard to keep track of multiple data sets in the folder structure. The ability to manipulate cell data within the cell - eg: removing non-numeric characters from "23 kg" to obtain numeric 23 would be useful.

Great Software with a Fantastic Support Team

We have a very particular data analytics environment, and have needed to generate a lot of custom reports. Some of them are generated for clients that expect the same format and package of results every time, but it can be a very manual and labor-intensive effort to produce for our higher-volume testing. Origin has provided a number of solutions - both by default, and some through further optimizations written just for us - that have made these processes take seconds to execute as opposed to the many minutes & hours before. And they've done this for us multiple times! Making our processes and reporting easier, both just with the software itself or providing custom tools & modules to integrate with the software. Further, many of our analysts have moved from graphing results in excel to graphing them in Origin, just because there are so many more options and capabilities to generate the right image, layout, and message for your audience.

Pros

- Countless options to customize the visual look/feel of results. - Very powerful, detailed, and beautiful graphing capabilities - Easy integration of custom code, modules, etc. - Powerful batch processing.

Raja from Praetego Inc.

OriginPro 2019

I use it mainly to do data analysis, e.g. fitting numerical data to functions or models. Additionally, I use it to rapidly produce finished plots and graphs to include in reports, presentations and grant applications.

Pros

I have extensively depended on Origin software during the past two decades, and recently needed it again after a hiatus. I was extremely pleased to see how powerful it has remained while maintaining its original design. Its ability to read legacy data files from other unrelated programs has been greatly useful to me. Now it has become very elegant and exceptionally bug-free. It has retained much of its old work-flow and most of its algorithms, and it just hums under present day powerful computers. Its programmability means it has excellent potential to go beyond its built-in functions. Just a pure pleasure to use, and it fires up quickly to be useful in many different applications. It is superb for producing and exporting publication-quality graphs due to its great flexibility. A truly special program.

Cons

As with powerful software, it is not possible to comprehend all its functionality by just intuitive hunting. However, it does have excellent tutorials and a very responsive team to answer questions that come up. Most things that one does not "like" at first come down to not being familiar with its menus or flow. It certainly is not Excel or a simplistic program.

Reasons for Choosing OriginPro

Prior familiarity and confidence in the features it offers.

nazilla from panjab university

2020 with OriginPro

OK, my first review in capterra was about OriginPro only. However, when I got an email to write about "What software helps you stay on track at work in 2020?" I though I have to answer again "OriginPro". To be honest, my data analyzing can not happen without this software. At least, I do not know another precise helpful software. I wished the software was free for longer time (for now it is free for 6 months) for Universities and Colleges that the principals wont pay for it and students are responsible for the payment.

Pros

whole my data plotting and analysis depend on it! It is precise and so many functions are available to plot and analyze the data.

Cons

It should be free for research scholars and students for longer time. Unfortunately, when we use trail version the exported file has the background of "demo demo demo ..." which is not suitable to publish.

Joseph from Cornell University

OriginPro for graphing and statistics is a good choice for pretty graphs and ease of use - it's fun!

I've been using it for years and was impressed by the opportunities it provides rather than confused by the tremendous number of options to choose from. Best Joseph

Pros

Ease of use, design of user interface and graphs, multiple ways to achieve the same thing (drag-and-drop, buttons, pop-ups...)

Cons

The yellow pop-ups are bothering me as I think this software is so intuitive that it won't take look to find out where to find the desired function to modify graphs, windows or save the project.

Reasons for Switching to OriginPro

SigmaPlot was not intuitive for me and I had the opportunity to switch very early...so it was basically not a switch, but rather a deliberate choice.

Alex from UCSD

Origin Pro - for Fluorescent biological recordings and data analysis

I am working on - drug discovery and development screening of biological targets. More specifically, doing fluorescent calcium and voltage recordings on human stem-cell assays. Origin for me - is the best software package to process and analyze the collected data - form human stem cell-derived neurons and cardiomyocytes.

Pros

I like the possibility to comprehensively analyze the recorded data. A lot of possibilities to do the statistical evaluation of the collected data, then do the fitting and generate the relevant plots for the presentations.

Cons

The most difficult part to figure out - is to get the information about all relevant features of OriginPro. When performing the analysis - I have several times faced the problem that - there is a better way to do it, and I didn't know about it.

Duane from Leidos-NETL

Industry: Chemicals

Excellent software for manuscript ready figures

What is not to like about the OriginPro software. I am very pleased with the software and

Pros

Curve fitting, peak finding, and generally the flexibility of multiple graphs on one page.

Cons

There is a little software issue when applying a mathematical expression to a column, if two columns in the same worksheet have the same name. (i.e. having multiple "Time" columns and adding/subtracting from the time value can lead to strange results due to other columns with same name)

Response from OriginLab

Replied May 2019

Hi Duane, Thank you for the review! Regarding your comment about multiple columns with same long name, and using the name in column formula calculations: Yes, currently we pick the first found column. In the next version, we will look into adding a warning to inform user that multiple columns with same name were found. Sincerely, OriginLab

Nikolay from UEF, AIVI

Industry: Biotechnology

With Origin I can solve most of my analysis tasks. I do all my final statistics and graphing in it.

I'm working with Origin since 4.0 version.

Pros

Flexibility, powerful analysis capacity. Graphing is excellent. Making graphs is very easy and user-frendly. Build-in programming makes Origin extremely flexible, so any (any-any) type of your analysis can be reached by it, it is kind of limitless possibilities for you. However, it takes time but it worths it! Oh, I'd like to say more about software updates, first of all new version comes quite often, thus if you met any problem with Origin or you have any suggestion it will be solved fast.

Cons

When you start using Origin you need to learn much about Origin. However, for the best performance of any program you have to learn how to use that.

Fascinating, remarkable and extremely useful

Pros

As a researcher, OriginPro is quite an amazing and versatile software as it offers numerous options for better visualizing your data. We use it on a regular basis for making graphs for reports and journal publications.

Cons

Price: Procuring the required license for this software is kind of expensive and it does prevent a number of students from taking the full advantage of it

Aniket from MediSens Wireless

Great graphing software

Pros

Very customizable, can be used to plot any type of graph or chart. The batch plotting option is also pretty handy if you need to plot multiple graphs. Easy to export or copy to other softwares. Specially that it can be edited from a Word or PowerPoint environment is amazing.

Cons

After editing a graph from Word or PowerPoint, I cannot save the entire workbook, but only the graph. Also once you have deleted the legends or axis titles, there is no way to get them back.

Response from OriginLab

Replied June 2019

Hi Aniket, Thank you for the review! Regarding your comment: "After editing a graph from Word or PowerPoint, I cannot save the entire workbook, but only the graph." When the graph is opened in Origin for editing, you can double-click on the data plot, then in Plot Details, on the data plot level, click the Workbook button on the right side panel to view the workbook. Regarding your comment: "Also once you have deleted the legends or axis titles, there is no way to get them back." Have you tried CTRL+Z (Undo)? Does that not work? If not working, can you provide some details? Also legend has option to reconstruct etc. You can right-click on legend for options. Sincerely. OriginLab

Max from Northwestern university

Origin Pro Use

Pros

Very rich on functions, that add a great value to our research. It combines mutliple applications, that were previously used. Even more the AddOns that can be donwloaded for the Website increase the value. Many functions that are not present in the standard version like ranking, non-parametric testing with direct graphical output, can be added.

Cons

Sometimes the windows for certain setting and properties (graph layer options etc.) open slowly which makes a fast workflow not always possible

OriginLab review

it was great, help me a lot to achieve my purpose. The figures created by OriginLab are much better than the other software I used before.

Pros

easy to learn and use. I am new to a lot of analyzing methods and have no clue to start. then I tried to use OriganLab, which is really easy to learn. it is really convenient to contact the technical support whenever I have an issue.

Cons

I believe originlab has tons of functions that I have not tried. Among the small portion of functions that I used frequently (like PCA, PLS, HCA), I hope you can develop more chemometric analyzing methods, such as PLS-DA, which I have proposed to one of your technical support (yiming).

Origin makes data analysis from the lab much easier

Currently I am using Origin for analyzing data gathered from complex characterization techniques such as SEM, FTIR and other material analysis tools in the Chemical and Material Laboratory. The software allows exporting from data sources such as excel and can be used to create charts and graphs using all or selected data. After knowing your way through the software, you will also be able to analyse the data gathered and come to quick conclusions. It didnt take me too long to learn the functions of the software (have more t learn!) but i believe the interface needs to be more user friendly. for instance the layout can be changed to make it easier to find your way through the software. However I recommend this software especially to scientists who need data analysis for their research and experimental work.

Pros

The software allows large number of raw data to be converted to graphs/charts very efficiently and effectively and carry out advanced statistical calculations. Which is very helpful in my area of work.

Cons

The interface. I would say, it is not the most user friendly interface I have used.

Reasons for Switching to OriginPro

Handling large amount of raw data is very difficult with Excel. And Excel doesnot allow easy statistical analysis and working with large quantity of data is very difficult.

Robert from NRL

Industry: Defense & Space

A must have for scientific data processing

The excellent customer support is what makes this company great. Any trouble I have automating my calculations are fixed in typically less than a few hours thanks to the very talented group of programmers that work for OriginLab. Couldn't be happier.

Pros

The data processing templates are a huge time saver. I have lots of repeat calculations and I (along with the help of customer support) have designed a workbook to parse my data after import, sort it over separate pages and automatically plot everything in the exact format I need for my digital notebook.

Cons

It can be challenging to get started. But the free online youtube tutorials are great for beginners.

Han from Honeywell International

Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

OriginPro User

OriginPro is very powerful tool for data analysis, and it has a lot of option and feature sometime analyst don't know it have it. My opinion, OriginPro should have a quick reference or something that attract new user. For example, I have shown some of my college to use OriginPro, they played around for the first hour when I came back to see how they like it. they want back to MS Excel.

Pros

I use OriginPro to analyze data and graph, and this software is allowing to zoom in detail into data. since OriginPro embedded Microsoft PowerPoint and Word application, the graph export direct to PowerPoint or Word. it is ready for presentation. The best part, once I load the data, and I have 10+ column to graph to evaluate bad data point. The sparklines is helping me to visual which data column I need to focus on and analyze it first.

Cons

I use OriginPro for many years, and I said OriginPro is not user friendly. For the new user, it needs some guiding unstill new user familiar with OriginPro layout.

Eduardo from Federa University of Espírito Santo

Good for Graphics and Data Analysis

All my routine data analysis are done using this software, from the interpretation of FTIR spectra to surface response evaluations.

Pros

It is very easy to use, produces beautiful graphics and has many options for data fitting. Deconvolution, surface response analysis trough nonlinear surface fitting and statistical analysis.

Cons

Some statistical methods, like Pareto are not easy to use in Origin. Converting photos in data seems to be possible but I am struggling with it.

Reasons for Choosing OriginPro

Exel, Statistica, for my applications Origin is the software that attends most of my needs in a single package.

OriginPro Review

Pros

Origin is the Cadillac of data processing software. It is fast, offers many analysis features and generates publication-ready plots in a matter of minutes. It's easy to process large amounts of data and batch analyze them. The nonlinear fitting feature is the most versatile of any data processing software.

Cons

While generally easy to use, considering the complexity, some workflows are not optimal and require lot of searching and clickthroughs. While Origin also supports many scripting features, this means that the user has to learn quite a lot of syntax.

An essential tool for a researcher

It is perfect tool and vital for drawing graphs to compare and present the experimental results.

Pros

OriginPro’s predefined mathematical and statistical equation functions are the best. Some of the equations are even not defined in Matlab. Its spreadsheet interface is too easy to use with big chunk of data. My experimental data would not be more meaningful without originpro

Cons

Currently i have no problems with originpro. I hope they can add more functions such as code generation for importing several files at once. And matlab integration could be more extensive.

Response from OriginLab

Replied January 2020

Thank you for your review. We are eager to know what improvements related to matlab interactivity you would suggest. Please email us at tech@originlab.com. We look forward to hearing from you! Best, Technical Support

Hadrien from CNRS

Industry: Research

THE software for data analysis

Pros

The number of functionalities, very suited for analyzing scientific data.

Cons

Sometimes the functionalities get buried in the menus and it is hard to find them. Also, some data treatment that are easily done programmatically (with python for example) can result in quite convoluted and tedious solutions in origin.

Response from OriginLab

Replied June 2019

Hi Hadrien, Thank you for the review. Regarding your comment: "Also, some data treatment that are easily done programmatically (with python for example) can result in quite convoluted and tedious solutions in origin." Could you please send us an example? Sincerely, OriginLab

Louis from University of Guelph

Top notch customer support

Overall, OriginPro is the way to go. It is a one stop for data analysis with great customer service.

Pros

customer service is BY FAR the reason to invest in origin pro for your team. If you have an issue with processing a certain data type, or can not crack what is preventing you from moving forward. The customer service team is attentive, and always see your problem through. They will even send follow up emails to make sure your problems are solved before closing your case. A+ customer service.

Cons

Although user interface is clean, sometimes you can get tied up in the fact that multiple buttons/options can perform the same function. For example, importing files can be accessed thru many means, which can be confusing and may make a big difference in how easy you think a certain job is, versus the experience of another user who tries to accomplish the same goal using a different method.

Bruce from Northwell Health / Hofstra University

Industry: Research

tip to use an app - general linear regression

We generate lots of anatomical information about a neuron and it takes a while. We also analyze a solid number of neurons per animal - like 50 to 80. With all that data we worry about selection bias and about the number of animals in each group. The Origin team, prompted by a review of original work by M.D. Wilson (Neurosci Methods. 2017 March 01; 279: 33–43. doi:10.1016/j.jneumeth. 2017.01.003.) helped us think about analyzing mixed effects. We did not have a way to act on the execution procedure of Wilson et al. so turned to the Origin experts to help. There is an app - or maybe they designed a new app - called General linear regression that permits the study of the relationship between the response variable and categorical and continuous variables. It provided converging evidence with the linear and non-parametric methods we were using. The Origin experts responded in a timely and clear fashion. This is not the first time they have helped. I recommend them and their product highly.

Pros

power of combining categorical variables

Cons

tedium of data entry from excel sheets -

KYUIL from Ames Laboratory

Industry: Research

review based on five year experience

Very good

Pros

Fitting function is excellent. Professional graphs are good.

Cons

Difficult to make an automatic code to repeat routine procedure.

Response from OriginLab

Replied June 2019

Hello, Thank you for the review! Regarding your comment: "Difficult to make an automatic code to repeat routine procedure." Origin supports batch importing, batch plotting and batch analysis, without having to write code. You can review these features from here: https://www.originlab.com/index.aspx?go=Products/Origin/HandlingRepetitiveTasks We would be glad to help if you contact tech support and tell us what process you wish to automate. Sincerely, OriginLab