What are Wolfram Mathematica users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Wolfram Mathematica software through verified user reviews

• icon"I do not know Matlab and now and then I am asked to do a computation with Matlab. I use Mathematica instead of Matlab and I can say that Mathematica is wonderful."
  • icon"Analytical solving is a breeze with this and it is intuitive how it all appears, as if you wrote it on a sheet of paper. That is its best feature."
  • icon"I like how it offers a student edition that has such powerful features."
  • icon"It is really hard to know the way to enter in a problem to be solved."
  • icon"Mostly, for long programs, it might not be straightforward to debug and understand where you made a mistake."
  • icon"Failure to have knowledge about the errors that arise for the analysis of established models."

Browse all Wolfram Mathematica Reviews

• Have you used Wolfram Mathematica and would like to share your experience with others?

Tigran

Great product for research and teaching

massimo

It's the Macintosh of the interpreted software languages, it just works right out of the box!

Pros

The most critical feature of Mathematica (and Wolfram products in general) is that everything is seamlessly perfectly integrated. Everything is curated and maintained up to date. Competing platforms like Matlab sure offer a larger set of functionalities, but the integration of the many "packages" is too often very poor. In Mathematica, every package is fully integrated with the rest of the platform like no other software. Maybe you can say that Labview somehow reaches the same level of integration. Mathematica is a very flexible and multi-purpose software language that can be used for programming pretty much anything. New functionality like "Cloud-deploy" allow anybody to run algorithm made in Mathematica from anywhere in the world, from any device, with the only need of having an internet connection and a compatible browser.

Cons

Some secondary functionalities like the Presentation notebook are not so well developed, yet. That said, I doubt many will ever use it.

Arshad

Wolfarm Mathematica.

I like wolfarm mathematica for its powerful exceutional engine that makes it able to simulate or visualize data very well.

Pros

Mathematica has a great graphics user interface, and it does a fantastic job. It also has a lot of other advantages. It has a huge array of codes and library, though complex but powerful. Mathematica is without a doubt one of the most powerful programmes we use and has a very large and active online society to help in problems.

Cons

What I find difficult about it is its learning curve, as Wolfram is a large language that can take some time to understand and use comfortably. Apart from that, I have no complaints about Wolfram Mathematica because it meets all of my requirements.

Reasons for switching to Wolfram Mathematica

Because it is easy to use and has a lot more features in comparison.

Fabian

Good tool for students/professors at sciences and engineering

It was helping me out with my learning and check if I did well an exercise or if the result is similar, how it did get there.

Pros

Ït's offline. It tells the way to solve some exercises and share its result, save it as capture image and so. It is not heavy for our device. A bit quicker and easier to use than another calculator with its features like solving integrals and derivations. Not programming knowledge needed.

Cons

IYou must be cautious with what and how you write your equations because of syntax and priority solving by the mathematics and the program itself.

Reasons for switching to Wolfram Mathematica

Because of usage; for these level of equations and exercises and time to operate. This one is more handleable.

A useful mathematical tool

I have been using Mathematica for the last 4 years both for my research and clas work. It hase been very useful to me, and my experience with Mathematica has been exceptional.

Pros

It has a wide range of mathematical feature ranging from linear algebra to complex differential calculus. This platform is very easy to use as it is pretty intuitive.

Cons

One of the biggest shortcomings of this platform is its failure to identify or point out the error in the code/programming. The cost can be a barrier too.

Wonderful!without wolfram I would not have approved the course of calculus applied in the university

Pros

wolfram is a marvel, just transcribe the equation in the software and in a few seconds not only solves it, but also explains step by step the resolution of the exercise and the different ways of doing it. I consider that it is the best ally for the student at any level of academic training. It is useful for students of engineering, economics, business administration, accounting, physics, mathematics.... in wolfram mathematical and physical equations can be solved. no matter the complexity of an integral or a differential equation, wolfram solves it

Cons

Sometimes it can be somewhat difficult to transcribe an equation in the software. Maybe if the programmers of wolfram add some integrals and predetermined equations, it could help to mount the exercises more easily

Kathryn

Online College Instructor Uses Mathematica

I personally really like using Mathematica. I like the 3D images that help me show such objects such as 'donuts' in Calculus.

Pros

As an online college math instructor, I like to use Mathematica to check the harder upper division problems. I hate to get to the answer in class, and it is not the answer - and students are terrible at stopping instructors when they see a small mistake! I like to write out all of my notes and Mathematica is awesome for helping me make it perfect!

Cons

One difficulty is for students that have not programmed before or don't think in symbol text needed to 'program' for answers.

Christopher

An useful math program

Pros

It is a very intuitive program, you can watch what is happening with all the equations that you want to know the answers, you can sort out the equation step by step and see whats wrong and fix it manually. It is simply the best option if you want to sort out any equation or any math exercise. Also let the user watch in a graph or chart the full data.

Cons

The price is the only issue that I see in this program, people would prefer use another program due to the expensive price of this program and I not blame them, all the people want most of the ocassions will want to use a free to use program instead of a very expensive app

Lok Raj

Very effective tool

Pros

The wolfram codes are easy to use, no need to write anything in matrix like another software.

Cons

It’s not an inexpensive software, takes time to learn for first time, difficult to work with vectors.

Mahdiar

March 2022

The security features and activation is getting worse over time

I've been using Mathematica since 8 years ago, and it helped me a lot to avoid trivial mistakes in my analytic derivations during research.

Pros

Mathematica is a lovely software for scientific computing with all great features in symbolic format.

Cons

The software is becoming more difficult to install and set up, the whole activation process is misleading and not well represented in their documentation.

Andrei

March 2022

Shallow learning curve but it is worth the effort.

Wolfram Mathematica is very hard to learn and is expensive, but as soon as you pass through those obstacles, it is definitely a unique software for math related operations. It is worth the time and the money.

Pros

Its non-linear approach to coding makes unique when handling simulations and checking different outputs.

Cons

It is very hard to learn in the beginning, and it is also expensive.

Nuwan Chaminda

Industry: Research

Very helpful for theorists in their research fields

As I am doing my research in the field of Quantum electron transportation calculations, it's very easy to do all my calculations and most important thing is that it helps us a lot to analyze all my results well. As we solve the matrices which are having a higher degree, it doesn't matter since we have Mathematica. It simplifies everything, all electron transportation calculation we have. because other methods, such as the Green Function method and Scattering methods are much more complex!

Pros

It's easy to use as it provides more helpful manuals in the Wolfram site. If you can not understand some code, then you may click on 'help' and very easily you can find the meaning of the respective code. Plus, there are many more functions available to analyze, to do much harder calculations, to draw graphs, etc. It helps a lot in our Quantum Mechanics projects as once we analyzed the Icing Model using Mathematica.

Cons

To be honest, I like almost everything in Wolfram Mathematica. The appearance of the software is great, and the work is very good and there are many more advantages of Mathematica. However, to improve, I think it's better to have some way to simply some of the codes in Mathematica. Anyway, as the users, that's also not a problem. Mathematica, simply one of the most powerful software we are using.

Reasons for choosing Wolfram Mathematica

As it is easy to use. And it provides everything we need in our research teams.

Jonathan

Engineering Grad Student Review of Mathematica

Overal really useful if you know how to use it and particularly strong at analytical calculus and symbolic equations. Otherwise the language is a little clunky. If more people used it, it would be more valuable.

Pros

Mathematica is really great at solving symbolic math equations. Unrivaled in my opinion. Analytical solving is a breeze with this and it is intuitive how it all appears, as if you wrote it on a sheet of paper. That is its best feature. Otherwise it has a lot of really cool math functionality for analzying data. I particularly have used it for signal processing.

Cons

Well it is like learning another programming language so you have to get over that barrier. It is hit or miss with other people who know how to read the software or even use it. The only reason I used it was because I found Wolfram Alpha online as an undergrad and when I became a grad student I found out the previous grad students used it. I'd say its programming language is a little clunky, compared to some competitors. And its not open software.

Reasons for switching to Wolfram Mathematica

Mathematica was free at the University of Washington but MATLAB wasn't. Also MATLAB is clunky for solving symbolic math and I was excited to use Mathametica to do calculus.

The best symbolic math software, with a learning curve

Pros

Mathematica is the go-to software when manipulating mathematical expressions that must be solved, simplified, visualized, modelled, etc. It defines an entire language dedicated to writing expressions precisely, with the option to write them with math symbols (e.g. sum, product, etc) or more similar to other programming language. Particularly useful is the symbolic differentiation feature, which is easy and intuitive to use. Many more advanced and domain-specific features are available, and keep being added at each release (yearly). There is a 'cloud' version of the software which can run Mathematica notebooks in the browser, making it possible to make quick checks without a full installation.

Cons

The Wolfram language's syntax and patterns is unlike any that I've seen, and so becoming proficient with Mathematica isn't just a matter of a few hours. Thankfully, the built-in help (reference manual) and tutorials are of great quality, and come with many practical example. The dedicated StackExchange community is also a great resource. Contributing to the difficulty is the fact that certain expressions will be handled (e.g. simplified or factorized) by Mathematica more easily than others, even though it feels like they should be equivalent. It is sometimes necessary to expand an expression, then simplify and factor it again in order to solve it again. Despite the support for many, many domain-specific features, working with vectors and matrices is still painful. When not part of a university or ineligible for discounts, the price may be high, depending on the intended use.

Mirza

A good alternative to MATLAB

Overall it is a reasonably good software. If you are starting out and want to learn this software I'd recommend it. The ability to solve symbolically is awesome and easy. It is nice to solve your math problems in this compared to MATLAB. Mathematica is much prettier than others.

Pros

The ability to solve symbolic mathematical equations is better compared to any other software. The graphing and data analysis capabilities are up to par. Not very difficult to learn. The working space is better than MATLAB. Lots of documentation and community help is available online. I mostly use it to solve symbolic math problems in my daily work. The output can be printed and shared with anyone and will seem like an understandable document.

Cons

There is a learning curve to Mathematica. You have to get used to the interface and the language. You might like it a lot or you might hate it a lot. But as an engineer I feel it is better to be an all rounder or a jack of all trades.

Francisco

I'm a computer science student, can't believe how useful this learning engine is!

Well my study sessions are way more effective, almost every question is answered by Wolfram. My grades are doing well, can't exclude Wolfram for that, this software has helped me a lot through the University and I'm super satisfied with it.

Pros

Everything you need regarding math is in there: derivatives, integrals, closed integrals, matrix and vector operations... The list goes on and on! I really this program has helped me countless times with Calculus study sessions and passing through linear algebra courses. The procedure is printed in a ordered way and it does it step by step.

Cons

The UI and operation input should and could be way better. I've used Symbolab and other apps and they are way better than Wolfram's input system. Please change it! Would really love to see you guys actually improve that.

Powerful Computational Software

I have been using Mathematica for three years, both in the context of my work and college. I have several applications written purely in Wolfram Language that I still use on a weekly basis. I have used Mathematica for solving differential equations and mechanics problems, building deep learning models and doing image processing. My most recent application is a function which takes as input video, audio or text and returns the key phrases and tags extracted from the speech/text.

Pros

The thing that I like the most about Wolfram Mathematica is that it is incredibly versatile. It handles almost all of the facets of technical computing starting form simple algebraic equations, solving ordinary and partial differential equations to image/ audio processing and machine learning. Moreover, Mathematica also has incredibly powerful graphing and modeling capabilities. The interface is aesthetically pleasing and intuitive. The ability to add hierarchical cells is a big advantage and allows to format notebook in a beautiful way. Regarding the features, Wolfram Mathematica has almost everything you need. Moreover, it's ability to be integrated with C++, Python and other languages, makes it an exceptionally powerful application.

Cons

The only thing that I dislike about Mathematica, is the fact that there is a certain learning curve, as Wolfram is a very vast language and it may take time to learn and use it comfortably. Other than that, there is nothing I dislike about Wolfram Mathematica, as it perfectly suits my needs.

A lifesaver for a lab with different levels of mathematical expertise!

With this, you don't need to be able to develop complex programs to successfully complete routine calculation tasks. Our lab uses it to get accurate calculations for unit conversions as well as resuspension volumes, etc that usually take a while to calculate with excel or other data processing software. It's easy to use and can be customized given the right expertise.

Pros

This software maes complex calculations that are routine a breeze to complete. We used to use excel for our calculations, which required really complex formulas typed in to the formula bar that were easily corrupted by an accidental click. Additionally, you had to be really familiar with the spreadsheet already in order to use the formula. With Wolfram, we have automated much of our routine calculations, such as titrations and reconstitutions. The formulas are already built in and require very little calculation on the user's part. Everything as simple as converting millimoles to micromoles, all the way to more complex tasks such as calculating dilution factors, can all be done quickly and has improved both accuracy and productivity in the lab.

Cons

In order to make many of the calculations and formulas relevant to our particular needs in the lab, we needed a person who was highly competent with program design and logic. For the longest time we were stuck with only using the basic functions until finally someone more familiar with computers in general helped us to design custom functions.

Siavash

Industry: Civil Engineering

Wolfram is so great for symbolic mathematics

Pros

It has a great symbolic tool box great for solving very complex mathematical equations.

Cons

As someone who is used to regular coding languages like c. The coding in mathematica is initially hard to learn.

Zouheir

Poor Customer Service

I had to call quite a few times before getting an answer which at the end turned out to be complete​ nonsense. I 've just acquired a license for my own use and install it on a MAC. However, since the OS Catalina update, my license stopped​ working and required an update from Mathematica "32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later". I contacted Wolframe thinking that they would be understanding in providing a free upgrade. "No way" was their answer.

Pros

Great software which has been very useful to me for more than 12 years now.

Cons

I was really surprised by​ their poor customer support.

Ludimila Silva

Wolfram Mathematica is a powerful calculation and programming tool for engineer

In general, it is a piece of software that helps me a lot to develop quality notebooks for the implementation of calculations required in my area. In any case, it is a fundamental software for me to have good results.

Pros

The software has incredible calculation features, as well as functions that make it extremely easy to solve extremely complex equations. In addition, it has a website where you can ask questions, get support, exchange information with other users and access tutorials that make using tools much easier. The software can be used by civil engineers, mechanical engineers, mathematicians, physicists, among others in the exact area. The more practice and development with software, the easier it is to carry out your projects.

Cons

Some functions and tools are not so easy to use and require some study applied to them. It is also possible to get results from some equations and not be sure if it is right.

An application that you can use to do calculation and solve complex mathematical problems.

I have been using this platform to solve many complex mathematical problems like integration, differentiation etc. Also I used it to make presentation slides one time and it was quite nice.

Pros

By using this platform, It is very easy to solve complex mathematical problems . Also It can be used to perform computation and solving statistical problems.

Cons

I think the cost of installation is high so it would be much better for a student like me if the cost can be reduced . Also sometime I feel that Mathematica language is slightly harder to understand for me.

Anand

Mathematica: one tool for all mathematics

I am very happy with the product. It helps me in my research on mathematical modeling.

Pros

Mathematica is very easy to use or user-friendly software. It covers a very wide range of mathematical operations that can be performed on it. Things I like the most about it are 1. The user-friendly script that can be written in very simple common language. 2. Support for algebraic symbolic calculations. 3. Faster processing.

Cons

There is only one thing that I dislike about the product is its online module. While working on an online module on Mathematica it is very restricted and does not provide many options compared to the offline module. It needs to be upgraded.

Unparalleled Mathematic Computing Capabilities

If Mathematica suits your needs for computational power, it is an unparalleled and invaluable tool to have at your disposal.

Pros

Mathematica is a powerful computation and analytical coding framework. While not as versatile as similar computing languages, Mathematica is simple enough to use in day-to-day computations but powerful enough for any project. its visualization tools are very powerful, allowing you to easily view and manage data in both 2D and 3D sets. Its integration with additional packages is very powerful, and updated frequently. For symbolic mathematics, there is no competitor quite as powerful as Mathematica.

Cons

Given that it is a coding framework, the barrier to entry can be quite high to people without a programming background. Strict syntax rules dictate that functions be written precisely and correctly, or else you'll run into errors or unexpected behavior. While Mathematica doesn't have the worst error checking I've seen in some programming languages, it lacks on-the-fly error checking. The cost of Mathematica can seem prohibitive, but if Mathematica suits your needs it can easily make up for its cost in time savings.

Bhawin

Great platform to calculate, integrate and so on.

Pros

This is a very useful software in physics and engineering. We can download and install in our computer via our university link. It is very easy to use. Sometimes people from Wolfram come to our university to run a workshop about wolfram mathematica. Besides mathematica, I use wolfram alpha frequently.

Cons

Some computational work and big data analysis in Nuclear physics may be difficult using Wolfram Mathematica.

Wolfram Mathematica