• Pros

• "It's fast and easy to create math equations and solve them. I have used this software for calculus when I was in college and it was very useful."

• "I like how easily it solves complex algebra and integration problems. It's so easy and intuitive to use."

• "The easy of using this software is stunning, you can use an equation editor and only copy and paste. "

• Cons

• "Feature wise it is fine, but the price is bit high."

• "Mathematica has no cons but the Mathematica language can be complicated to learn. Using Matlab is simple, but using Mathematica is very good "

• "The documentation, although extensive is still not very intuitive for people who are starting their projects"

Browse Wolfram Mathematica Reviews

massimo from UAB

It's the Macintosh of the interpreted software languages, it just works right out of the box!

Pros

The most critical feature of Mathematica (and Wolfram products in general) is that everything is seamlessly perfectly integrated. Everything is curated and maintained up to date. Competing platforms like Matlab sure offer a larger set of functionalities, but the integration of the many "packages" is too often very poor. In Mathematica, every package is fully integrated with the rest of the platform like no other software. Maybe you can say that Labview somehow reaches the same level of integration. Mathematica is a very flexible and multi-purpose software language that can be used for programming pretty much anything. New functionality like "Cloud-deploy" allow anybody to run algorithm made in Mathematica from anywhere in the world, from any device, with the only need of having an internet connection and a compatible browser.

Cons

Some secondary functionalities like the Presentation notebook are not so well developed, yet. That said, I doubt many will ever use it.

Jonathan from University of Washington

Engineering Grad Student Review of Mathematica

Overal really useful if you know how to use it and particularly strong at analytical calculus and symbolic equations. Otherwise the language is a little clunky. If more people used it, it would be more valuable.

Pros

Mathematica is really great at solving symbolic math equations. Unrivaled in my opinion. Analytical solving is a breeze with this and it is intuitive how it all appears, as if you wrote it on a sheet of paper. That is its best feature. Otherwise it has a lot of really cool math functionality for analzying data. I particularly have used it for signal processing.

Cons

Well it is like learning another programming language so you have to get over that barrier. It is hit or miss with other people who know how to read the software or even use it. The only reason I used it was because I found Wolfram Alpha online as an undergrad and when I became a grad student I found out the previous grad students used it. I'd say its programming language is a little clunky, compared to some competitors. And its not open software.

Reasons for Switching to Wolfram Mathematica

Mathematica was free at the University of Washington but MATLAB wasn't. Also MATLAB is clunky for solving symbolic math and I was excited to use Mathametica to do calculus.

Aileen from Caltech

The gold standard of symbolic mathematical programming

Pros

I've used Mathematica for classes for years, from testing the validity of my intuition to writing up problem solutions. It's been always unexpectedly powerful and well-documented. Any frustrations I encounter lie in my own ineptitude, not the quality of the software.

Cons

Mathematica is not the easiest software to use. It requires a very clear idea of the problem you are trying to solve and a good understanding of the language syntax (which is notoriously different than most other languages). The built-in integration with WolframAlpha can help you address questions best phrased in plaintext. Also, the program is by far the largest on my computer (>10 GB).

Fabian from Engineering.com

Good tool for students/professors at sciences and engineering

It was helping me out with my learning and check if I did well an exercise or if the result is similar, how it did get there.

Pros

Ït's offline. It tells the way to solve some exercises and share its result, save it as capture image and so. It is not heavy for our device. A bit quicker and easier to use than another calculator with its features like solving integrals and derivations. Not programming knowledge needed.

Cons

IYou must be cautious with what and how you write your equations because of syntax and priority solving by the mathematics and the program itself.

Reasons for Switching to Wolfram Mathematica

Because of usage; for these level of equations and exercises and time to operate. This one is more handleable.

Valentin from 24houranswers

Mathematica the free Matlab

I am using Mathematica for simple computations, for making 2D and 3D graphs (wonderful graphs) and for very complicated matrix computations.

Pros

Mathematica is free. I do not know Matlab and now and then I am asked to do a computation with Matlab. I use Mathematica instead of Matlab and I can say that Mathematica is wonderful. You can make for free very complicated mathematical computations, and if you pay 5 USD you can use the step by step Mathematica language to do very complicated computations. Mathematica is simply amazing. Use Mathematica for free :)

Cons

Mathematica: A one step solution for all mathematical problem

I have been using mathematica for over 3 years. I find it very helpful in solving day-to-day mundane mathematical problem to research related mathematical models. It is a great product to have as a research scholar.

Pros

It's wide range of features, starting from plotting graphs to solving differential equation. It figuratively covers all aspects of mathematics.

Cons

Feature wise it is fine, but the price is bit high.

Reasons for Switching to Wolfram Mathematica

Its syntax is pretty simple compared to Matlab and writing mathematical expression in Mathematica is easy.

Mirza from Texas A&M University

A good alternative to MATLAB

Overall it is a reasonably good software. If you are starting out and want to learn this software I'd recommend it. The ability to solve symbolically is awesome and easy. It is nice to solve your math problems in this compared to MATLAB. Mathematica is much prettier than others.

Pros

The ability to solve symbolic mathematical equations is better compared to any other software. The graphing and data analysis capabilities are up to par. Not very difficult to learn. The working space is better than MATLAB. Lots of documentation and community help is available online. I mostly use it to solve symbolic math problems in my daily work. The output can be printed and shared with anyone and will seem like an understandable document.

Cons

There is a learning curve to Mathematica. You have to get used to the interface and the language. You might like it a lot or you might hate it a lot. But as an engineer I feel it is better to be an all rounder or a jack of all trades.

An application that you can use to do calculation and solve complex mathematical problems.

I have been using this platform to solve many complex mathematical problems like integration, differentiation etc. Also I used it to make presentation slides one time and it was quite nice.

Pros

By using this platform, It is very easy to solve complex mathematical problems . Also It can be used to perform computation and solving statistical problems.

Cons

I think the cost of installation is high so it would be much better for a student like me if the cost can be reduced . Also sometime I feel that Mathematica language is slightly harder to understand for me.

Pawan from Self

Very versatile (desktop version)

Pros

This software helped me get my bachelor’s degree in mathematics... I used it to solve a differential equation that got me an A in the class. The prof was happily impressed with how I used the tool to solve the problem. It was a simple problem, in retrospect: a block of salt in a water tank with fish and bacteria. The optimal flow that saved the fish but killed the bacteria was the “solution” - pun totally intended!!!

Cons

It’s been a while since I last used the software; suffice it to say that it left a good taste in my mouth, so to speak.

Mathematica Value for money

It was easy and time-saving to solve math-related problems. I had really fun while visualizing the data in 3D.

Pros

Symbolic functions can be treated and It provides numerous mathematical functions and operators. Allow users to access the related algorithms and demonstrates its process which helps students to learn how to solve the problem. It has user-friendly graphic visualization of data on 3D view which helps to understand the concept easily.

Cons

You would not understand the language needed to input the functions and calculations if you do not understand computer programming. It was impossible to correct if there was an error trying to graph functions, and it ended up starting over multiple times. It performs poorly when dealing with vectors and matrics. It is only affordable for the community or office, expensive for personal use.

Best product for technical academic studies.

Amazing. The capabilities are honestly mind blowing, especially when using the internal scripting language properly.

Pros

I used Mathematica daily for at least 10 years daily while working in sciences and, I have to admit, the power of this package is phenomenal. It is best known for the analytic symbolic computations, but also progressed in the domain of numerical computations. In the past, it couldn't solve PDEs efficiently, but now it can do that so well, that I don't use Matlab anymore.

Cons

Can't really say anything here. I used the academic license. If I used my own, it would be the price, probably.

Nuwan Chaminda from Mississippi State University, Starkville MS

Industry: Research

Very helpful for theorists in their research fields

As I am doing my research in the field of Quantum electron transportation calculations, it's very easy to do all my calculations and most important thing is that it helps us a lot to analyze all my results well. As we solve the matrices which are having a higher degree, it doesn't matter since we have Mathematica. It simplifies everything, all electron transportation calculation we have. because other methods, such as the Green Function method and Scattering methods are much more complex!

Pros

It's easy to use as it provides more helpful manuals in the Wolfram site. If you can not understand some code, then you may click on 'help' and very easily you can find the meaning of the respective code. Plus, there are many more functions available to analyze, to do much harder calculations, to draw graphs, etc. It helps a lot in our Quantum Mechanics projects as once we analyzed the Icing Model using Mathematica.

Cons

To be honest, I like almost everything in Wolfram Mathematica. The appearance of the software is great, and the work is very good and there are many more advantages of Mathematica. However, to improve, I think it's better to have some way to simply some of the codes in Mathematica. Anyway, as the users, that's also not a problem. Mathematica, simply one of the most powerful software we are using.

Reasons for Choosing Wolfram Mathematica

As it is easy to use. And it provides everything we need in our research teams.

The best symbolic math software, with a learning curve

Pros

Mathematica is the go-to software when manipulating mathematical expressions that must be solved, simplified, visualized, modelled, etc. It defines an entire language dedicated to writing expressions precisely, with the option to write them with math symbols (e.g. sum, product, etc) or more similar to other programming language. Particularly useful is the symbolic differentiation feature, which is easy and intuitive to use. Many more advanced and domain-specific features are available, and keep being added at each release (yearly). There is a 'cloud' version of the software which can run Mathematica notebooks in the browser, making it possible to make quick checks without a full installation.

Cons

The Wolfram language's syntax and patterns is unlike any that I've seen, and so becoming proficient with Mathematica isn't just a matter of a few hours. Thankfully, the built-in help (reference manual) and tutorials are of great quality, and come with many practical example. The dedicated StackExchange community is also a great resource. Contributing to the difficulty is the fact that certain expressions will be handled (e.g. simplified or factorized) by Mathematica more easily than others, even though it feels like they should be equivalent. It is sometimes necessary to expand an expression, then simplify and factor it again in order to solve it again. Despite the support for many, many domain-specific features, working with vectors and matrices is still painful. When not part of a university or ineligible for discounts, the price may be high, depending on the intended use.

Powerful Computational Software

I have been using Mathematica for three years, both in the context of my work and college. I have several applications written purely in Wolfram Language that I still use on a weekly basis. I have used Mathematica for solving differential equations and mechanics problems, building deep learning models and doing image processing. My most recent application is a function which takes as input video, audio or text and returns the key phrases and tags extracted from the speech/text.

Pros

The thing that I like the most about Wolfram Mathematica is that it is incredibly versatile. It handles almost all of the facets of technical computing starting form simple algebraic equations, solving ordinary and partial differential equations to image/ audio processing and machine learning. Moreover, Mathematica also has incredibly powerful graphing and modeling capabilities. The interface is aesthetically pleasing and intuitive. The ability to add hierarchical cells is a big advantage and allows to format notebook in a beautiful way. Regarding the features, Wolfram Mathematica has almost everything you need. Moreover, it's ability to be integrated with C++, Python and other languages, makes it an exceptionally powerful application.

Cons

The only thing that I dislike about Mathematica, is the fact that there is a certain learning curve, as Wolfram is a very vast language and it may take time to learn and use it comfortably. Other than that, there is nothing I dislike about Wolfram Mathematica, as it perfectly suits my needs.

Francisco from Walmart

I'm a computer science student, can't believe how useful this learning engine is!

Well my study sessions are way more effective, almost every question is answered by Wolfram. My grades are doing well, can't exclude Wolfram for that, this software has helped me a lot through the University and I'm super satisfied with it.

Pros

Everything you need regarding math is in there: derivatives, integrals, closed integrals, matrix and vector operations... The list goes on and on! I really this program has helped me countless times with Calculus study sessions and passing through linear algebra courses. The procedure is printed in a ordered way and it does it step by step.

Cons

The UI and operation input should and could be way better. I've used Symbolab and other apps and they are way better than Wolfram's input system. Please change it! Would really love to see you guys actually improve that.

A lifesaver for a lab with different levels of mathematical expertise!

With this, you don't need to be able to develop complex programs to successfully complete routine calculation tasks. Our lab uses it to get accurate calculations for unit conversions as well as resuspension volumes, etc that usually take a while to calculate with excel or other data processing software. It's easy to use and can be customized given the right expertise.

Pros

This software maes complex calculations that are routine a breeze to complete. We used to use excel for our calculations, which required really complex formulas typed in to the formula bar that were easily corrupted by an accidental click. Additionally, you had to be really familiar with the spreadsheet already in order to use the formula. With Wolfram, we have automated much of our routine calculations, such as titrations and reconstitutions. The formulas are already built in and require very little calculation on the user's part. Everything as simple as converting millimoles to micromoles, all the way to more complex tasks such as calculating dilution factors, can all be done quickly and has improved both accuracy and productivity in the lab.

Cons

In order to make many of the calculations and formulas relevant to our particular needs in the lab, we needed a person who was highly competent with program design and logic. For the longest time we were stuck with only using the basic functions until finally someone more familiar with computers in general helped us to design custom functions.

Siavash from University of Tennessee

Industry: Civil Engineering

Wolfram is so great for symbolic mathematics

Pros

It has a great symbolic tool box great for solving very complex mathematical equations.

Cons

As someone who is used to regular coding languages like c. The coding in mathematica is initially hard to learn.

Zouheir from University fo Idaho

Poor Customer Service

I had to call quite a few times before getting an answer which at the end turned out to be complete​ nonsense. I 've just acquired a license for my own use and install it on a MAC. However, since the OS Catalina update, my license stopped​ working and required an update from Mathematica "32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later". I contacted Wolframe thinking that they would be understanding in providing a free upgrade. "No way" was their answer.

Pros

Great software which has been very useful to me for more than 12 years now.

Cons

I was really surprised by​ their poor customer support.

Anand from IIT Kharagpur

Mathematica: one tool for all mathematics

I am very happy with the product. It helps me in my research on mathematical modeling.

Pros

Mathematica is very easy to use or user-friendly software. It covers a very wide range of mathematical operations that can be performed on it. Things I like the most about it are 1. The user-friendly script that can be written in very simple common language. 2. Support for algebraic symbolic calculations. 3. Faster processing.

Cons

There is only one thing that I dislike about the product is its online module. While working on an online module on Mathematica it is very restricted and does not provide many options compared to the offline module. It needs to be upgraded.

Unparalleled Mathematic Computing Capabilities

If Mathematica suits your needs for computational power, it is an unparalleled and invaluable tool to have at your disposal.

Pros

Mathematica is a powerful computation and analytical coding framework. While not as versatile as similar computing languages, Mathematica is simple enough to use in day-to-day computations but powerful enough for any project. its visualization tools are very powerful, allowing you to easily view and manage data in both 2D and 3D sets. Its integration with additional packages is very powerful, and updated frequently. For symbolic mathematics, there is no competitor quite as powerful as Mathematica.

Cons

Given that it is a coding framework, the barrier to entry can be quite high to people without a programming background. Strict syntax rules dictate that functions be written precisely and correctly, or else you'll run into errors or unexpected behavior. While Mathematica doesn't have the worst error checking I've seen in some programming languages, it lacks on-the-fly error checking. The cost of Mathematica can seem prohibitive, but if Mathematica suits your needs it can easily make up for its cost in time savings.

Bhawin from Old Dominion University

Great platform to calculate, integrate and so on.

Pros

This is a very useful software in physics and engineering. We can download and install in our computer via our university link. It is very easy to use. Sometimes people from Wolfram come to our university to run a workshop about wolfram mathematica. Besides mathematica, I use wolfram alpha frequently.

Cons

Some computational work and big data analysis in Nuclear physics may be difficult using Wolfram Mathematica.

Daniel from Hospital Ortopédico Infantil

Wonderful!without wolfram I would not have approved the course of calculus applied in the university

Pros

wolfram is a marvel, just transcribe the equation in the software and in a few seconds not only solves it, but also explains step by step the resolution of the exercise and the different ways of doing it. I consider that it is the best ally for the student at any level of academic training. It is useful for students of engineering, economics, business administration, accounting, physics, mathematics.... in wolfram mathematical and physical equations can be solved. no matter the complexity of an integral or a differential equation, wolfram solves it

Cons

Sometimes it can be somewhat difficult to transcribe an equation in the software. Maybe if the programmers of wolfram add some integrals and predetermined equations, it could help to mount the exercises more easily

Richard from Táximo

Wolfram Mathematica makes it easier to develop knowledge in the area of mathematics and programming.

The ability to develop equations and to learn step by step how to solve them. Wolfram made my job easier and more practical and helped me save time and to create new projects by using programming.

Pros

Resolution of equations well explained and organized step by step as well as graphs that are self explanatory and have the possibility to add annotations and to choose the type of graph to be used. It also has the possibility of storing data in the cloud and to access it anywhere. Wolfram Mathematica is great for programming and it gives the possibility of exploring other areas such as language and geography by using mathematics and programming.

Cons

Takes a while to learn the basics commands of some areas of the software such as introducing equations into the system or start programming if you are still learning.

Rodrigo from University of Edinburgh

Industry: Research

The best software for symbolic mathematics

I have solve a wide variety of problems, from simple calculations to very complicated symbolic analyses. In the faculty is normally favoured for more abstract analyses which don't necessarily involve finite precision arithmetic, but it can obviously be used for that as well.

Pros

This software is extremely well suited for symbolic mathematics. Where MATLAB excels in numerical handling, Mathematica excels in symbolic mathematics. I have used this software for stochastic analysis, namely Markov Chain analysis. It is very useful as well for topology and graph theory and not only helps by solving complex systems but makes beautiful graphs needed in topological analysis. I have also used it in optimization contexts, to draw the feasible regions of complex functions. It is simply an extremely robust and versatile piece of mathematical software.

Cons

At the beginning is not very easy to use because small errors in syntax will render a big function useless; hopefully for simple things it is well integrated with Wolfram Alpha, which can interpret more natural expression the transported to Mathematica.

Tony from North Queens Surgical Center

Wolfram Mathematica

Very good software.

Pros

Cons

None. Very good software.

Binod from University of California, Merced

A must have software for every science and math student

I'm highly satisfied and recommend Wolfram Mathematica.

Pros

Cons

The cloud version sometimes freezes otherwise it could be a great feature for users to have a powerful Computational tool everywhere.

Miguel from APOTEOSE D'ESTRELAS - UNIPESSOAL LDA

Simply the best mathematics tool available

- The ability to manage symbolic functions - The incredible amount of built-in advanced mathematical functions and operators - The flexibility of importing, exporting and managing data in a variety of formats - The speed of the solver - The help. It contains a huge amount of examples and information

Pros

Cons

- The plots are pretty low-level. Could be improved. - The error messages are almost impossible to understand.

One of the best mathematics tools available for students

Life-saver for anyone who is struggling with mathematics.

Pros

This software can be an absolute life-saver for any student learning mathematics. The software solves such a large range of math problems ranging from simple to complex in an instant. It demonstrates step-by-step problem solving which facilitates learning. I used this software throughout my undergraduate education and still use it today.

Cons

Like any great software, there can be a slight learning curve in order to get the most out of it. For the simple functions, it is click-and-go. For the most advanced functions, it may take some time to learn.

A great environment for elaboration and validation of algebraic models

During the development of some models of neural networks for massive data processing, it was necessary for us to search for a solution in the cloud capable of supplying our demand for a competitive price due to the lack of funds available. Based on this, and in light of other solutions such as AWS and IBM Watson, Mathematica was the choice that was able to meet our financial criteria and also enabled us to write a very relevant work within the company

Pros

The ability to use the system both online through the cloud infrastructure, as well as offline

Shalinee from COVIAM

simplest and fastest way possible to obtain mathematical, scientific or statistical information

Best mathematical computational tool

Pros

I think it is the best solution to obtain mathematical/statistical information. The way it interpret the mathematical problem like solving calculas problem with step by step is amazing. Plotting data is very easy that made visualisation much better. Now, it is also providing to use it so that it some other system(app) can be built around this.

Cons

There are not much dislike of this, but there are two that I can think of: 1. Pricing : it is too costly if you want pro version with advance feature 2. it takes time to learn the new mathematica language.

John D. from BTC Consulting, LLC

Mathematica was utilized throughout my Calculus I, II, III, and IV course work.

Great software for any DBA to utilize.

Pros

Mathematica has a vast number of tools and resources for anyone seeking to better understand trends, environmental data, forecasting and solve complex multivariable calculus problems for homework.

Cons

Mathematica saved my 4.0 in college, no cons from me--I hope I get to use Mathematica again in my professional life.

Useful tool to have around

Pros

I used Mathematica in my undergrad and continue to use it. First of all - it's the best graphing, master, super calculator you could ever have. With Mathematica one can quickly create graphics that are useable in presentations and reports. The graphics are attractive and professional. Wolfram also has a great team. I've recommended their Wolfram Alpha for people struggling with mathematics for years. Mathematica's language take a bit to learn, but with the basics you can hit the ground running with help from their massive support system. Great software overall. Plays well with Linux and Mac.

Cons

I have no beefs with Mathematica. I've heard people complain about inability to do what AutoCad can... but then just go use AutoCad for that! I've also heard it's not 'industry/university standard' 'Nobody uses it' but I think it's a shame if that's not the case now.

Jason from University of Pennsylvania

Very Effective Math Tool

Pros

There are so many things that you can do with Mathematica because of the Wolfram foundation. It's completely free-form, so you can use it in whatever way you like and achieve results: from contour plots to simple arithmetic and anything more simple or more complex. There are built-in functions to help you if you make a mistake in your code or if you need help figuring out what to do to achieve your goal.

Cons

The tough part is learning all the aspects of the software. The way you have to write your functions and expressions are slightly unconventional to regular maths. And there's no way to know you did something wrong until you've messed up and it prompts you on how to fix it. Sometimes having too many functions is detrimental if there isn't enough support to help the users learn how to start.

Beautiful program for coding

So far I am really happy to use Mathematica to do some simpel data processing and produce nice plots

Pros

The nice thing with Mathematica is the fact that it is very artistic and very easy to get publication quality plots

Cons

Everyone will agree that Mathematica tends to be slower than other programming languages

Jefferson from Universidad Central de Venezuela

Maths in your hand

Pros

Cons

some results cannot be displayed in other platforms

My favorite calculation software behind excel

Pros

For complicated algorithms or system design - Mathematica is, hands down, my favorite calculation software. You can make your calculations very presentable and can customize the look of your notebook as much as you want.

Cons

With all of the wonderful things about Mathematica - it has a fairly significant learning curve. There are lots of quick keys that make the software faster, but without it, the time to create calculations can be really slow. It takes a good amount of time to really understand the software.

Eric from University of Illinois at Chicago

Overall wolfram is good and a great learning tool. Ithas the best visual aids.

Pros

The ability to change variables and see how it effects the graph is a lot of help when trying to understand a function and how the vdidderent variables change the graph. Also just seeing a accurate representation of a equation in a graph, whether it's 2 dimension or 3 dimension, makes learning the material much easier.

Cons

A moajor con for me was the inability to get wolfram to work properly. Every time I needed to open something on wolfram I would have to manually open it with wolfram instead of just clicking on the display and having wolfram open it automatically. I would do this every time and was very annoying after the first 10 times. I don't know if wolfram doesn't work well with Macs or maybe it's older Macs. Nobody could get it to work properly and I'm still stuck doing it the long way.

Gaurav from COVIAM

Best computation knowledge engine

I am using this for more than 2 year. I think you can solve most of the mathematics problem using this with in very less time. Now a days , it is also providing the vision api, speech api etc that are also very helpful.

Pros

The way it resolve the mathematics equation is very much self explainotary. Also, it is easy to plot the graphs in it. Linear algebra and numerical algorithm support makes it more advance. GUI is also very user friendly.

Cons

It require a long learning curve and it's interpretor is also slow. And the major disadvantage is the cost of using this tool.

MERZEL MARK from Ramon Torres Maao Sugar Central National High School

Wolfram Review

My overall experience with Wolfram Mathematica is that the software is great mathematical software but I hope that this software can run even without an internet connection. It can give a big help for those aspiring students who want to explore mathematics and science including the professions and occupations related to it.

Pros

It is a great software that enables to solve mathematical equations and expressions including those in algebra, geometry, calculus, number theory, and many more. It covers all of the branches of mathematics and even information technology and computer. What I like most about this software is that it capable to show the answers in just a few seconds.

Cons

The least like about the software is that it can run only with strong internet connectivity in a place. It cannot be run in offline mode.

Roddys from Universidad Central de Venezuela

Wonderful tool for made your live more simple

This program helps me in my study, because when I had any doubt about a graphic, I made the graphic in Wolfram.

Pros

Wolfram is excellent if you have any doubt about maths, because not only resolve the problems if not it explain as is the process to obtain the correct answer.

Cons

it's not than simple to use, you have to have knowledge in maths, about symbols and expressions for a better experience.

Wolfram Mathematica

I use Mathematica for data handling and modeling. It has been very useful.

Pros

The language used here is similar to other commonly used machine languages. So as a person who know them somewhat, Mathematica helped me on subjects such as physics when it comes to modeling.

Cons

There is a long learning curve. But then again there always will be a lerning curve for a software like this. Therefore no big complaints

Simrat from University of Virginia

Pros and Cons

As a student, Mathematica has been very efficient in analyzing data.

Pros

This software is really useful in manipulating data and providing expressions and equations. As a student, I have used it for chemistry to manipulate the math equations.

Cons

Sometimes, Mathematica is difficult to cooperate with and does not realize that some expressions are in fact equal to one another. However, the built in help is great.

Alberto from Nanotechnology

Mathematica is powerful, but you REALLY need to know how to use it to get great value from it.

Pros

The capabilities and functionalities embedded in Mathematica are almost unbounded. You can create very complex models in every branch of mathematics and statistics with this software and, in addition, Mathematica can display the final results using graphics that can be entirely customized to suit your needs--from very simple plots to very sophisticated graphical animations.

Cons

The amount of effort needed to use Mathematica in all its glory is long and steep. Unfortunately, the logic and naming conventions that make Mathematica a powerful programming language are not intuitive--there are too many rules and obscure naming conventions that are not typically used in other languages. Error messages are not very helpful for new users, and frustration can quickly set in.

Terran from Utah State University

Industry: Research

Amazing. Does whatever you tell it to do.

I love wolfram and I think it is well worth getting to know and use in college.

Pros

I like the flexibility of wolfram. The online version is also free for most things which make quick math problems a breeze if you don't need step by step solutions.

Cons

Sometimes when I am trying to solve a complicated math problem it would be nice to see the steps to the solution. I am not a fan of paying for this.

Sandeep from Northeastern University

Technical computing software!

I had a great experience using Mathematica to solve research problems.

Pros

I enjoyed using Mathematica for solving research problems for a master's and PhD level course named 'Mathematical Methods of Physics'. Its great for visualizing the data and creating/viewing both 2D and 3D graphs. Ideal for technical computing.

Cons

Entering equations or math is definitely hard. Its difficult to understand the typos or mistakes, as the displayed error message is not easy to understand. There is a learning curve associated with the use of Mathematica.

Olga Cecilia from ICBF

A free math tutor

Pros

Everyone can understand mathematics with this app, it helps you with equations, graphics and stats. I really like that they show you how to do the problem, making it easy to understand. As soon as you have master it everything about this app is great

Cons

Wolfram has a really hard interface, even people who use this app daily has trouble when it comes to using the interface. Wolfram can be really difficult to use for new people

SK from Gen-Ct Support

Industry: Information Services

Helping scientists, artists, business houses implement advanced mathematical models into their work

Pros

One of the oldest mathematics software (first version 1988) that has helped many scientists, artists, business houses implement advanced mathematical models into their work.

Cons

They need to work in a team and stop giving an impression that the world of programming is the world of Wolfram. Little reference or appreciation for other programming languages and habit of self-praising by its founder belittles his own real accomplishments.

Rashmi from COVIAM

Wolfram mathematica

Pros

Wolfram is very good as mathematical computation engine. When it comes to solves the difficult mathematical problem, it is the very much needed solution for all kind of problem. You can solve whole of Calculas of mathematics with this tool. Also, along with that it offers a lot of other thing for image processing, machine learning and more.

Cons

With great power and usability it comes with a few negatives as well. It is not easy to use this as you have to learn it's own scripting language and secondly for other purpose like using it's api, it is a bit costly.

Pallavi from Harvard University

Industry: Biotechnology

Ideal software for technical computing!

I had a great experience using the Wolfram Mathematica. It's an ideal software for technical computing.

Pros

I like Wolfram Mathematica software because of its high speed mathematical calculation, instantaneous graph illustration, and 3D image view capabilities.

Cons

There is a learning curve to write or enter equations in Mathematica. It's easy to make mistakes.

Morteza from Virginia Tech

A must-have for engineers

Pros

Mathematica is amazing! When you're not sure if an integral has closed form solution or not, then Mathematica can help you in just seconds! It's very powerful and is very handy. It's also very easy to learn! Definitely recommend it.

Cons

When working with MATLAB, all functions are in small case. But in Mathematica, the first letter of predefined functions are usually in capital case. So it's a bit creepy when working with both simultaneously! It would be more than great if these two helpful software have same syntaxes.