• Pros

• "Very easy to set up and to use I can track my stock options very easily and see when I can exercise."

• "I really like using Carta to manage our stock options for employees. I find it simple to use both for administrators as well as employees who are creating accounts and reviewing options. "

• "I love having everything in one place, and easy to use, purchase and organize all of my grants and vested stock."

• Cons

• "Reports take a very long time to populate and the files can be extremely large. Some report files are over 20 MB's"

• "It was a bit of work for our finance manager to get setup but all is well now and no issues to report from the employees."

• "It was lacking in some features. The time it took to get my stocks was a couple of days but that may have been on my HR side. "

Browse Carta Equity Management Reviews

Mallory from Lucid Software

Super easy to keep track of my stock options

Overall it is simple and easy to use and makes it easy for a company with a large number of employees to keep track of which people have which vested stock options.

Pros

Love how Carta automatically updates me as to when I have more vested options and shows a progress bar as to how far I still have to go for all of my stock options to vest.

Cons

No complaints but I probably haven't used this software at a deep enough level to truly find anything difficult or something to dislike about this software.

Kevin from Auth0

Great App for Managing Private Equity

Overall, it's been awesome using Carta. It's a great tool to manage private equity. I'd highly recommend this.

Pros

- Keeps track of multiple companies in a singular account - Great data visualization tools for exercised vs. vested, etc. - Repository for pertinent documentation

Cons

- Mobile application is lacking some features that the web app has (i.e. documentation repo). - Sometime difficult to understand the workflow required to accomplish a task. There are multiple ways to do the same thing, which can leave the user feeling a bit lost at times.

Frank from SquadLocker, Inc.

Great Cap Table Management and Scenario Modeling

Overall, I am very happy with Carta.

Pros

I love having an up-to-date Cap Table at all times and being able to model exit and funding round scenarios quickly. Integrated stock ledger and 409A valuations are a plus, too. I plan to implement investor and board communication into the platform this year.

Cons

I wish the scenario modeling provided optionality around convertible notes. But the file outputs allowed me to manipulate the data once in excel very easily. And they were presentation ready.

David from Gaingels.com

Industry: Venture Capital & Private Equity

Imposible to use because its always so SLOW

The CEO's and law firms that use it seem to be happy with it, as an investor user, I literally cringe every time we get a new stock cert from Carta because it takes so long to do antying.

Pros

In theory, it should be easy to manage our portfolio of over 50 different holdings.

Cons

We are investors, not issuers. As investors, we have 3 big issues. A). The site is SO SLOW, I literally end up e-mailing the portfolio company to ask for the information. B) The UX for the portfolio is nonsensical. For example, if you accept a certificate, you are not taken to the holding,s rather to some summary page from which you then have to search for what you just accepted and if you are not in the right "portfolio", it doesn't show up. C) Carta makes it very difficult for one to keep a backup.

Reasons for Choosing Carta Equity Management

I didn't, and I wouldn't use it by choice if I was selecting.

Zeah from BridgeHealth Medical, Inc.

Eshares to Carta

We started with Carta when it was Eshares. Prior to using this software we were tracking everything in an excel spreadsheet which was a complete cluster. Now we can easily pull reports for information on the shareholders. The only difficulty I have encountered is the lack of a report that my auditors will accept without manipulation from myself. Still way better than manual tracking.

Pros

The ease with which data can be entered

Cons

Reports for Audit purposes can be painful

Stock Options Made Easy

Pros

Carta helps us track all of our company's stock options in one place, providing simple reports and instant changes to our cap table.

Cons

Changes to Stakeholders now require more steps than they did in the previous format, it is a bit more time consuming when making a lot of changes.

Simple way to manage equity in a startup.

Pros

It's easy to see when I can exercise shares, and it's easy to see my current holdings.

Cons

It's such a bare website. I would like some more features, maybe educationally-focused links and ways to track the value of the shares, if there is any information.

Ben from Oikon Stewardship Solutions

Easy way to monitor employee stock options

Overall, Carta has been a useful tool for managing and visualizing my employee stock benefits.

Pros

I'm not a finance expert, nor a lawyer. That's why I like Carta so much for managing my employee stock benefits. It keeps all the records and information in a single place that I can access easily, along with helpful guides and tutorials for what everything means. I also really like the interactive vesting schedule/option exercise calculator. They are both quite helpful in visualizing stock benefits.

Cons

I don't really have a complaint about Carta other than I wish it integrated with other employee benefits platforms, like Justworks. Obviously Carta is much more specialized than Justworks, and there are probably legal/security reasons it is separate, but it would be cool to have everything in one place.

Theodore from NestReady

Good Cap Table Management Software

Pros

Carta is a very cool cap table management software with various functionality answering the majority of the needs of a startup for this kind of software. The UX is very nice and easy to use.

Cons

One of the downside of Carta is its CS. As long as everything is working it's perfect but when you need their CS you will have to wait a long time before your problem is resolved

John from Turo

Carta Review

I enjoy using Carta, and hope I can continue to use it and continue to grow equity.

Pros

Cons

I wish that I could use some sort of market value prediction tool, as well as have deductions from my paycheck taken out to be used for stock.

Rob from Affirm Inc

Huge timesaver, great value and has improved continuously over time

Pros

It solved a hugely expensive problem very easily (I used to have to manage our cap table in excel, print out paperwork and issue my own stock certificates. However, every time I look at software options, I was stuck going back to the same system. Using lawyers is truly insane cost-wise, so we manged it in-house. I talked to users of all competitive products and every single one noted errors in those products that led to board-level action and highly expensive fixes. This is NOT something you want to mess around with. Carta, however, was FAR superior to all other options in ease-of-use, accuracy of data, security, rapidity of product development, and ability to scale along with our company. They could make any adjustments needed without the needs for costly external counsel or board interaction.

Cons

When we first started using it (nearly 5 years ago), we found a few bugs in accounting reporting on edge cases (we had a couple outlier cases unusual for a company of our size at the time ). The Carta team quickly made adjustments to their software to resolve the problems however (and have continued to respond quickly to feedback).

Reasons for Choosing Carta Equity Management

See above

Once top shop for cap table management

Pros

Very easy to use Option grants to employees are all done through the software There are reports for all our needs, from stock based comp calculations, min disclosure for financial statement audits, etc... Customer support is top notch. Chat feature allows you to live chat support team with minimal wait time.

Cons

Enrique from Skydio, Inc.

Industry: Consumer Electronics

For a Start-up, this is a great tool to manage your equity

Overall, Carta Equity Management allows us to track and record equity along with sharing the information with the employees. It also provides us the reports to book the quarterly stock based compensation.

Pros

Carta is fairly easy to navigate, as the administrator I can answer questions employees may have as far as vesting and their options.

Cons

Some of the reports are not easily identifiable, you have to select the options you want when running the report.

Jeff from Health IQ

Step by step and very informative

Pros

I like how for every piece of information, Carta has detailed explanations for it. It's great for new people who are not familiar with how option grants work. Interface is clean, and I like the different animations when you sign or purchase grants. Also like the monthly email about the vesting progress.

Cons

Don't really have any problems with the software. I am just a user of the tool with very limited permissions. There is not much I can do on the site.

Molly from Turnkey

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

User friendly

Pros

I was able to buy stocks through my company with just a couple of e-signatures.

Tanner from Lucidchart

Not sure how I should be using except once a year...

Very nice UI. Seems intuitive.

Pros

The UI is very slick. Easy to navigate. I'm sure when Carta is relevant to me, it will be easy to use.

Cons

Don't really know how I'm supposed to interact with it. Not sure if that's my company's fault or Carta's customer success team... All I know is one day I'll have RSU's in there and it will become more relevant.

Very Easy Management of Company Shares

I have loved that I can see all of my equity in the company and when the stock vests.

Pros

I love being able to go in and see how many shares I have, how many have vested, and when the next shares will vest. It has a portfolio section as well that shows how many shares will vest and on what day those shares vest. Overall, it is a very simple program for the user and (from what I have heard) very easy to set everything up on as a company.

Cons

I hope that one day Carta will get into other markets to allow you to invest in other private companies. I feel like they have a great platform and would be good at adding a feature like this.

Stocks in One Place!

Overall, no major issues with Carta. Makes the stock options piece of my job easier to manage and communicate.

Pros

Cons

Sometimes I find the reports are tedious to complete because there are many options to select. Sometimes it does take some time to make multiple changes.

Aaron from TurnKey Vacation Rentals

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Great for users

Pros

Easily see all investments with my current company. Easy to read and understand. I get an email each month with updated vested shares.

Cons

None that I can think of at this time. Will see when I am fully vested.

Stock Options: Managed

Does what I need it to as an employee of a company that offers stock options.

Pros

app for iOS and a web portal with Two Factor Authentication required before anything can be used. Gives an extra layer of assurance that only the intended user is accessing sensitive financial information.

Cons

The password requirements are kind of funny, starts off by saying "Your password needs to be at least good and 9 characters long.", then changes the message as more characters are typed. The definition of "good" is eventually revealed.

We use this to distribute/organize stocks

Pros

Our company gives employees stock options and we use Carta to organize/distribute/view your stock options. It is pretty helpful and easy to use. You can check out each stock option separately so you know exactly when you received each amount and when it vests and such

Cons

I don't have anything I don't like about it, I guess I just wish I knew what else the website can do, I only really know about accepting/viewing my stock options.

Tatiana from Kiswe Mobile Inc.

Great Product!

Pros

This product is easy to use and we are very happy with it.

Cons

I can't think of anything that can be improved as of now.

Jon from Mark43

Great Equity Management

We use Carta to manage our company equity and stock options.

Pros

Easy and efficient way to check on equity status. I also like the language / articles that Carta provides about stocks and stock options.

Cons

The platform is straightforward and easy to use I have no complaints

Jeremy from Kinnek

Great solution for sharing equity numbers with employees

Pros

I really like the email updates when options vest. It keeps the employees engaged and interested in seeing their vested equity grow.

Onboarding Nightmare

Our company has been managing equity via Excel spreadsheets and have grown to the point that we need something better. Once we have Carta up, we are hoping to spend far less time updating spreadsheets. Should just be enter the information once and all the reports update.

Pros

Software is very pretty. Our rep is available consistently for phone calls to discuss onboarding.

Cons

If you have any non-standard options, Carta is probably not for you. We have been onboarding for months now, and our account rep has done almost nothing. We gave him the information we had, but he doesn't seem to grasp the spreadsheets so we've basically had to do the uploading ourselves. Now that we are almost ready for go-live, I still can't find information in the system that I am looking for. Additionally, the software doesn't make up agreements (for example, if you loaded up a template). You just upload your agreements into the system after they are made on another platform. So basically it's a hosted skin for shares reporting? Not sure, and not happy.

Richard from stable

The most painful experience imaginable

The worst experience with any B2B software company for years

Pros

Nothing - over complex and awful UX and customer support

Cons

The setup is beyond painful. The support staff are incredibly arrogant and everything about your business has to fit around Carta. You can't even stop the annual subscription without following the 'Carta off boarding process' which is just as hard as onboarding and is simply designed to help their finance team...classic lack of customer focus. Truly painful in every way. Seriously avoid unless you are a huge company and you feel like wasting enormous amounts of time

The beautifully simple way to manage equity

Pros

As a user, it made managing, accepting, and understanding equity stakes easy—and the UI was very intuitive.

Cons

Some features were still under construction. While they looked exciting, it was frustrating to think I could use them, then not have access.

Michael from Uplift, Inc.

Carta keeps me in the loop

Pros

I love their communications skills aka the emails they send out when I've vested shares.

Cons

I have no qualms or issues with Carta at this time.

Carta Review

Pros

Cons

No cons that I can think of, it's pretty basic but works very well.

Sonya from Sana Biotechnology

Industry: Biotechnology

Very simple interface for viewing, managing, and monitoring my stock options

We started using it this year to manage stock option paperwork and vesting schedules.

Pros

No hassle, very easy to use. It has a clean layout and makes it easy to view all your paperwork. It sends me an email each time more stock options vest.

Cons

I haven't hand any issues with it so far. My only complaint is that it's a very specific tool for what amounts to legal document management and those documents could be shared and managed another way. But it works well and has a clear goal, so it's fine.

Taddes from Passport

A clean and efficient way to manage stocks

We use this for managing equity

Pros

By far, the user interface is excellent and allows for a great deal of visualizations that help you manage and understand stocks. It's built using React and is a stellar example of component-based design at its best. It's clean and clear.

Cons

It is a bit unintuitive and complicated for the uninitiated, which is a common thing whenever you're dealing with stocks and finance, but the user interface is clean and there is plenty of support

Wow, finally an easy way to see your equity

Pros

It's so easy to use and see how my shares I have, what they're worth, and it feels really secure. Spoiler alert, but whenever you accept your shares, you get this cool little congratulations screen that makes you go "YAAY!" even though you already knew you were getting them. Stuff like that makes my day a little better.

Cons

Nothing yet! It is really straightforward.

Really simple setup

Great UI and application!

Pros

Carta was the easiest setup I've ever had for any financial app or solution.

Cons

Setup was fairly painless so I don't have any true negatives.