• icon"Love how Carta automatically updates me as to when I have more vested options and shows a progress bar as to how far I still have to go for all of my stock options to vest."
  • icon"Carta, however, was FAR superior to all other options in ease-of-use, accuracy of data, security, rapidity of product development, and ability to scale along with our company."
  • icon"Customer support is top notch. Chat feature allows you to live chat support team with minimal wait time."
  • icon"I believe that Affirm no longer works with Carta as a result. Every employee’s sell order was accidentally canceled on the day of the equity release."
  • icon"It doesn't work as well internationally. That's a problem as I need comp data for several countries."
  • icon"The setup is beyond painful. The support staff are incredibly arrogant and everything about your business has to fit around Carta."

All Carta Reviews

Sho

Company size: 501 - 1,000 employees

Love-Hate Relationship with Carta

Mallory

Super easy to keep track of my stock options

Overall it is simple and easy to use and makes it easy for a company with a large number of employees to keep track of which people have which vested stock options.

Pros

Cons

No complaints but I probably haven't used this software at a deep enough level to truly find anything difficult or something to dislike about this software.

Joe

Essential Tool in Equity Management

- Investor equity management - Employee equity option management - Cap table management - 409A valuation

Pros

- In-depth knowledge database that gets you started quickly - Easy to use interface that allows for efficient navigation - Carta combines equity and salary compensation benchmarks and adjusts for size, location, industry - Well structured reports, funding overviews, cap tables, and ability to create a data room for investors - Free annual 409A valuation report

Cons

- Expensive for startups - Salary compensation tool should be included in base subscription - More comparative details with similar companies (benchmarking functions)

Reasons for choosing Carta

- Ease of use of the platform / knowledge database for employees - Industry leader - Recommended by legal team and investors

October 2022

Carta does everything to avoid providing service and still charges a premium

Most of the time I don't know they're there, because I don't need them. When I do need them, it is a consistently horrible experience.

Pros

I don't find the software to be very intuitive or helpful. It does appear that the people behind it know the business domain, but beyond that I can't say much for it.

Cons

Their customer service is impossible to reach, and when you reach them very unhelpful. They clearly don't value their customer relationships. They check in periodically to see if they can upsell me to add-on products that aren't useful to our business.

Once top shop for cap table management

Pros

Very easy to use Option grants to employees are all done through the software There are reports for all our needs, from stock based comp calculations, min disclosure for financial statement audits, etc... Customer support is top notch. Chat feature allows you to live chat support team with minimal wait time.

Cons

Reports take a very long time to populate and the files can be extremely large. Some report files are over 20 MB's

Zeah

Eshares to Carta

We started with Carta when it was Eshares. Prior to using this software we were tracking everything in an excel spreadsheet which was a complete cluster. Now we can easily pull reports for information on the shareholders. The only difficulty I have encountered is the lack of a report that my auditors will accept without manipulation from myself. Still way better than manual tracking.

Pros

The ease with which data can be entered

Cons

Reports for Audit purposes can be painful

April 2022

Simple But Gets the Job Done

Pros

If you're looking for a simple piece of software to track employees' options and their vesting schedules, Carta gets the job done. Employees will be notified as options vest over time, and can even simulate exercising their vested options.

Cons

The average person does not understand what options are, or how vesting schedules or exercising options works. Carta could improve this experience for users by perhaps incorporating basic explanations of terminology into the software (ie: with info buttons next to certain terms). This would certainly give users an increased understanding of and sense of control over their financial assets.

Stock Options Made Easy

Pros

Carta helps us track all of our company's stock options in one place, providing simple reports and instant changes to our cap table.

Cons

Changes to Stakeholders now require more steps than they did in the previous format, it is a bit more time consuming when making a lot of changes.

Simple way to manage equity in a startup.

Pros

It's easy to see when I can exercise shares, and it's easy to see my current holdings.

Cons

It's such a bare website. I would like some more features, maybe educationally-focused links and ways to track the value of the shares, if there is any information.

Alan

Easy way to manage stock options

Overall I have had a positive experience with Carta and am glad it exists to easily manage stock options.

Pros

Their documentation and blog are very helpful in understanding all the terms and nuance of stock options.

Cons

There is nothing that I don't like - the software does a solid job servicing our need for managing stock options.

Shane

December 2021

Seems ok for what it is

Nice to see equity in a platform

Pros

Easy to see option grants and equity, no frills.

Cons

Nothing I don't like. Seems to do what it's supposed to do.

Carta Review

I enjoy using Carta, and hope I can continue to use it and continue to grow equity.

Pros

I love having everything in one place, and easy to use, purchase and organize all of my grants and vested stock.

Cons

I wish that I could use some sort of market value prediction tool, as well as have deductions from my paycheck taken out to be used for stock.

Rob

Huge timesaver, great value and has improved continuously over time

Pros

It solved a hugely expensive problem very easily (I used to have to manage our cap table in excel, print out paperwork and issue my own stock certificates. However, every time I look at software options, I was stuck going back to the same system. Using lawyers is truly insane cost-wise, so we manged it in-house. I talked to users of all competitive products and every single one noted errors in those products that led to board-level action and highly expensive fixes. This is NOT something you want to mess around with. Carta, however, was FAR superior to all other options in ease-of-use, accuracy of data, security, rapidity of product development, and ability to scale along with our company. They could make any adjustments needed without the needs for costly external counsel or board interaction.

Cons

When we first started using it (nearly 5 years ago), we found a few bugs in accounting reporting on edge cases (we had a couple outlier cases unusual for a company of our size at the time ). The Carta team quickly made adjustments to their software to resolve the problems however (and have continued to respond quickly to feedback).

See above

Sho

Industry: Information Services

Love-Hate Relationship with Carta

I have nothing else to compare Carta to, so I don't even know how to respond. On a positive note, I suppose I can list 'Carta' as a skill on my resume, though I don't know whether I would want to deal with Carta ever again if I seek different employment.

Pros

When I have issues with this software (which is often), Carta's support team is usually very responsive and will work with me on the issue. The software itself works fine, I guess, as it rarely has technical problems. The offered tutorial does help, and I appreciate the Carta team for putting the tutorial together.

Cons

Not very intuitive to use! A major part is requiring a good foundation in securities and stock options knowledge, which I clearly do not have. One HUGE gripe I have with Carta is that there is no quick way to bulk update a set of option grants, but rather I have to go into EACH option grant, upload the document I need to upload, add a note of what I am updating, wait for 5 seconds for the update to occur, and repeat with the rest of the 1000+ option grants. I have been uploading/updating these option grants for a few days now while trying to do my other work, and I am still updating as I write this review on a Saturday evening. I don't know whether to keep on updating while cursing at the Carta screen, or just call it quits for the day. Also, the update generates an email notification for the option holders, and of course a good amount of them send me questions afterwards despite our team having already prepared a mass message for our Chief Sales Officer to send out that explains these notifications. I'm at the point where I'm inclined to curse out the next sales employee that asks me what these Carta notifications are for.

Kevin

Great App for Managing Private Equity

Overall, it's been awesome using Carta. It's a great tool to manage private equity. I'd highly recommend this.

Pros

- Keeps track of multiple companies in a singular account - Great data visualization tools for exercised vs. vested, etc. - Repository for pertinent documentation

Cons

- Mobile application is lacking some features that the web app has (i.e. documentation repo). - Sometime difficult to understand the workflow required to accomplish a task. There are multiple ways to do the same thing, which can leave the user feeling a bit lost at times.

Margaret

November 2022

Great tool for equity management

Great for cap table management. Customer service is also excellent.

Pros

I like that it is commonly used in tech companies so many investors are already comfortable with it.

Cons

Some functionality is difficult to locate and the help function references a different version of the software than i have.

Reasons for choosing Carta

Our attorney recommended it.

Adam

Great Program

I use for equity tracking for grants of RSUs and options

Pros

Love this to track options, RSUs and shares. Support is also helpful and does its best to answer questions.

Cons

The commissions on sales are a bit over the norm for a retail brokerage-type program. Especially bad if you have small lot sizes

Industry: Venture Capital & Private Equity

Imposible to use because its always so SLOW

The CEO's and law firms that use it seem to be happy with it, as an investor user, I literally cringe every time we get a new stock cert from Carta because it takes so long to do antying.

Pros

In theory, it should be easy to manage our portfolio of over 50 different holdings.

Cons

We are investors, not issuers. As investors, we have 3 big issues. A). The site is SO SLOW, I literally end up e-mailing the portfolio company to ask for the information. B) The UX for the portfolio is nonsensical. For example, if you accept a certificate, you are not taken to the holding,s rather to some summary page from which you then have to search for what you just accepted and if you are not in the right "portfolio", it doesn't show up. C) Carta makes it very difficult for one to keep a backup.

Reasons for choosing Carta

I didn't, and I wouldn't use it by choice if I was selecting.

Enrique