All CrashPlan Reviews

Adam

Legal Services, 51-200 employees

Reviewed July 2018

BEST backup software hands down !!! I love it

It kept all my data, photos and docs safe for years !!

PROS

This is the best backup software for a home user ever. The best part is that you can backup an external USB Drive. I run it on my mac and have been using it for 5+ years. The software runs in the background and backs up my files so I don't have to worry. They have plenty of settings to limit when it backups and how many resources to use. Since I have a capped bandwidth I set it so I just upload in the evening. I've recovered a couple of files by logging into the web interface and downloading a zip of them.

CONS

I'm very sad that they will no longer offer consumer accounts at the end of August 2018 if I'm a small business I would use crashplan. I'm super bummed that the software I recommended to so many is going away :(

Andrzej

Photography, 1 employee

Reviewed July 2019

Easy to use back-up plan, but upload speeds could be better.

I can easily backup all my photographs and Photoshop files on my external drive and have them always backed up in the cloud without much thought.

PROS

It's easy to setup and once you do you can forget it. Also, support team is very responsive nad helpful (had few minor problems along the way and they were quickly resolved).

CONS

Compared to some other softwares the upload speeds could be better (I tested same files with the same network and Crashplan was the slowest).

Reason for choosing CrashPlan

I had used it before and had better offer at the time, than Backblaze. Although, right now there's not much of a different in price.

Benjamin

Reviewed July 2018

Has so much potential but is being held back

Unlimited backup storage of my computer system with revision history

PROS

The fact that the cost vs amount of storage you receive is incredible with Crash Plan. I have looked through so many providers for online backups and I don't believe anyone comes close to what is offered by this software. The fact that once you you install the program and sign in, the interface is very straight forward allowing you to select what on your computer you want to back up, all the way down to the entire contents of your C: drive is great and makes the product easy to use. Notifications are also a great feature to notify you if there was a problem during a backup.

CONS

My major issues come down to resource usage and customer support. This software, even though it does fantastic things, is an absolute resource hog. In the past I have been able to run constant backups incrementally at 15 minute intervals without much slow down of my systems. Within the past year however, on a 16GB memory system, as soon as crash plan begins to backup my memory usage jumps from about 15% to over 50% until I stop the program completely. On windows server 2012, the same issue happens, whether Crash Plan is installed for every user, or just my admin account, the instantaneous system slow down is there to where everyone on the system is effected. My two attempts at contacting support about the issue resulted in almost a 1 week wait time between calls/emails and the answer I ended up receiving was that they would no longer be supporting servers with the Crash Plan application. However present day their website still says it supports windows servers. The idea behind the program is amazing, I just wish the execution and support was more clear and helpful.

Swapnil

Architecture & Planning, 11-50 employees

Reviewed January 2023

Good software for individuals but not recommended for business with a lot of data.

Not good. Did not solve the business problems of needing a cloud/offiste backups. We stopped using it.

PROS

It is cheap and offers unlimited cloud storage. That is the only reason we purchased a subscription of this software in the first place.

CONS

Crashes a lot of times, does not upload the whole bank of data, very slow to make a backups, never completed the whole backup.We find it to be useless for our uys case.

Reason for choosing CrashPlan

We only chose it for cost efficiency but later we had to go back to Azure doe to the quality of service.

Shaun

Consumer Goods, 501-1,000 employees

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed September 2020

CrashPlan Review

This software offers a simple and effective data backup solution.

PROS

This is an overall great data backup solution. I have used this for many many years for backing up my parents personal and small business computers. Great tool.

CONS

I cannot think of any real cons for this software. There are some cheaper options nowadays for data backup. However, this is still a great tool.

Reason for choosing CrashPlan

I have used this for years and was familiar with it.

Tab

Publishing

Reviewed June 2018

Very flexible backup service that allows you to backup external hard drives w/ strong encryption

Peace of mind knowing our files are safe.

PROS

Strong encryption helps keep our files safe. Unlike many backup services, Crashplan for Small Business allows you to backup files on any number of external hard drives for no additional fees. Also, you aren't required to move the files/folders you want to backup into a proprietary backup folder...this means you do not have to alter the structure of your file system to have an effective and full backup. Power Tip: divide your backup into multiple backup sets for increased efficiency and peace of mind.

CONS

I wish you could more easily view the backup log so you could reassure yourself that your most important files are 100% backed up to the latest version. UX is usable but a bit awkward...it can take several somewhat convoluted click-throughs to find the setting you need to alter.

Heather

Photography, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2019

Good Program

Overall, the potential for the program, and the idea seems great. But unless you have a huge bandwidth or pay for extra it's difficult to use for a some business owner like myself. I flet secure in that my life were kept safe, in an online, web based program, however I could never use it to it's full potential because it took literally days for my to back up just one of my external hard drives full of full resolution .CR2 files.

PROS

This program really does as it says, backups all that you have on your computer incase of lost data, or major computer crash loss. Because it's web based, it's all available and at the tip of your fingers if ever you need retrieve lost data.

CONS

My biggest issue with that program was that it took up so much bandwidth that there was very little left for other things in my home, such as watching youtube, or Hulu, or Netflix. It ate up a lot of my allotted bandwidth for the month, and I had a lot of difficulty using it because of that.

Jessica

Graphic Design, 1 employee

Reviewed March 2019

YOU SAVE MY SKIN!

I had a computer failure, had to wipe it clean but CrashPlan was there with all of my precious files safely tucked away to put on when I got a new computer.

PROS

MY COMPUTER CRASHES ALL IS LOST! Or wait no! I have CRASHPLAN!!! As an author and a graphic designer, there is NOTHING as important as having all of your precious files safely tucked away securely. CrashPlan is like a comfort blanket for me and my files.

CONS

Just make sure you're connected and syncing properly! But seriously there is NO downside to having all of your files backed up safe and secure

Aníbal

Alternative Dispute Resolution, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed August 2018

I keep in my cloud, I'm more secure

I have solved my problem of not having to saturate my PC anymore, I keep everything in the cloud since the old file was in the university until I used software that I no longer use

PROS

I feel safe with this software because there I keep all the information of my pc, they have the security that my files need all the data stored in Crashplan have internal backup that guarantee that in the event of a company failure they can always be recovered again .

CONS

This service is the best, it is for all types of users, both desktop operating systems and smartphones

Manny

Reviewed February 2018

Great for the money

One of my favorite backup software, unfortunately, I might just have to shop around after they removed the family plan.

PROS

I loved this program, have been using it for over two years and I can't complain. It backs up your system entirely just in case.

CONS

Was very upset when they canceled their home plan. Backup should be simple to do. In one backup the system took 16gig of resources. Their backup schedule should be a simple setup. Backup files and then backup system image with files.

Kyle

Facilities Services, 51-200 employees

Reviewed June 2017

CrashPlan does exactly what it needs to do

We no longer need to manage our backup infrastructure. CrashPlan takes care of this. Previously, with Windows Backup, we needed to periodically purge our backups because when using a network location, Windows Backup can't do versioning. So we'd end up filling terabytes of storage of the same files over and over again. CrashPlan fixes this problem for us!

PROS

CrashPlan is really easy to use. I love using it because I can backup to another computer for FREE! The only part of the app that is pay is if you want to backup the the Code42 cloud. If you don't use the cloud, you get easy & free backups! The versioning is also really nice. We can restore a file from any point along it's life. CrashPlan is used to backup our general file server, our email server, and our SQL database dumps. I can centrally restore any file from any server from my location. We migrated to CrashPlan from Windows Backup. It took a lot of overhead out of our backup procedure. CrashPlan has also saved our files from Virus' on a few occasions. With the outbreak of Ransomware, CrashPlan really helps save our files from being encrypted.

CONS

CrashPlan is written in Java, which means, it's pretty much the only reason I have Java installed. Supposedly, a non-Java client is coming, but who knows when or if that will happen. It is also _really_ difficult to manage on a headless server. You basically have to create a SSH tunnel, then from a separate computer 'fake' out that installation of CrashPlan into thinking it needs to connect through the SSH tunnel. Done properly, your desktop CrashPlan will connect to the CrashPlan backend on the headless server. It would be really nice to be able to manage a headless server without any SSH tunneling, or port forwarding, or any of that.

Wayne

Printing, 51-200 employees

Reviewed March 2018

It's alright (as long as you're behind a normal firewall)

Easy of use and cost effective.

PROS

This software is easy to use and configure. I have recommended this software to others who are not tech savvy and they loved it. It's easy enough for them to "set and forget" and files recovery is as easy as selecting the folder/file you want to recover then process it. Cross platform is a definite positive and we needed a solution that worked with MAC and Windows.

CONS

I have used this software for a few years installed on a MAC and a Windows machine. It was good until I upgraded to Sonicwall Gateway. With the latest firmware it seems as that CP on the MAC had a hard time bypassing the firewall security so I had to explicitly open all the required ports then it started running normally again. Months went by without any issues then problem with the MAC machine reappeared where it cannot connect to the CP server (meanwhile no configuration change was made to the firewall). I have worked with both technical support from CP and Sonicwall, both have different ideas of what may be the problem. It's just odd that the MAC CP is having problems communicating out of the firewall while the Windows machine is fine. Further finetuning of the firewall will be required. In conclusion, CP is a good reliable and cost effective backup solution providing that you are behind generic firewall. However, you may run into frustrating issues if you are behind advance security gateways like Sonicwall, Fortinet, etc. and it's not as low maintenance as one would expect it to be.

Philip

Music, 1 employee

Reviewed March 2020

Our lives are digital; Crashplan is your health insurance!

On the whole, if you don't have a ton of data then there are lots of free backup options that might meet your needs. On the other hand, if you have many terabytes that need protecting then I thin CrashPlan is the best choice on the market.

PROS

I use CrashPlan for Small Business. The greatest thing about CrashPlan is that it offers unlimited backup and this is not a gimmick. When they say unlimited, we're talking all of your precious terabytes. The 2nd greatest thing about CrashPlan is they have amazing customer service. I hardly ever find myself waiting and their help is always fast, precise and effective. If you are someone who has a lot of data then $10 per month is going to seem like a small price to pay to know that data is always safe.

CONS

If you don't have a super fast connection then backing a terabytes is going to take some time but their support forum has a comprehensive guide to increasing speed and decreasing backup time. It's an additional $10 per computer so some people may take issue with this but again for unlimited back up it's still very reasonable in my opinion.

Reviewed October 2018

Full-Featured Backup Solution With Good AD Integration

We have been very satisfied with the backup capabilities of our CrashPlan implementation. We use CrashPlan for backing up the critical files of our employees. The CrashPlan administrative portal is fairly easy to use, and it has many great features. The biggest issue I've had in using their software is getting users to automatically disable when their account has been disabled in Active Directory; I've had the script working in the past, but every time we update, it seems to break the script and takes quite a bit of time to get it running again.

PROS

I like that you can get very granular about what you want to back up. You can select entire folders to backup, but you can also specify that certain file types should be ignored. You can even specify that certain files be ignored or included.

CONS

Using their built-in scripting for auto-disabling accounts when the related account is disabled in Active Directory has proven to be a pain. I've had it working before, but every time I upgrade the software, it seems to break that capability without actually changing the script.

Graham

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Reviewed October 2016

A simple endpoint backup solution

I have been using CrashPlan for over two years for about 30 of my customers. Aside from a few issues with memory usage for larger backup sets (issues that were quickly resolved with by a chat with support), I have had almost no problems. Backups run, complete, and restores always work. The software's focus is on backing up endpoints, not servers. But it works fine with simple file servers and is a very inexpensive way to protect data. It's really a last resort backup for most of my clients - not something they depend on from day to day, but it's a great solution in case they end up with a hole in the ground for an office. The setup process only takes a few minutes. Restores are relatively intuitive - just pick a date and then pick a file. Small restores can be done through a web interface. I have never had to do any large scale restores, but I can imagine that they would be difficult since there is no way to have a hard drive shipped to you - the restores have to be done over the internet through their software.

PROS

Inexpensive, remarkably reliable.

CONS

Tends to be a bit of a memory hog.

Information Technology and Services, 1 employee

Reviewed May 2018

Big fan of the set it and forget it method of backup with CrashPlan

The versioning of your files is awesome, and the upload of changed/new files is really quick and can be set to backup at certain times with specified processor usage.

PROS

I love how my business version of CrashPlan continuously monitors my computers for any changes then uploads those changes to the cloud. Even though I run image backups of all our computers on the network, I will backup all important files to these computers which are then encrypted, uploaded, & versioned so that I can always go back in time for previous saves of my files. The support staff is great as well. Price is great for our plan which I believe includes 3 computers (originally just 1).

CONS

The interface is a little unintuitive especially when it comes to restoring previous versions of your files, but once you do it a few times it's no big deal.

Ian

Media Production, 51-200 employees

Reviewed February 2023

They've just drop all support for smaller companies

Crashplan was backing us up to the cloud for many years. We had historical backups, handy that I can do back in time to different revisions of documents. Crashplan then MOVED us to a new server and trashed ALL historical backups, I can no longer go back far. I complained, they ignored. It then operated 40-50 times slower, on a 1Gbit line is uses less than 1% bandwidth.

PROS

It used to work, but Incydr took over, moved the data centres around, and now it is 40-50 times SLOWER, almost unusable.

CONS

It's slow. Your data is NOT safe, they showed this by trashing our historical backups.

Reason for choosing CrashPlan

Friend recommended it, he doesn't recommend it any more!

Reasons for switching to CrashPlan

moving to cloud based system from TAPE.

Bob