• Pros

• "Price is very good. Fairly easy and straight forward. "

• "I love the ease of use, customer service, and all-inclusive features. "

• "intuitive interface, User-friendly, Great customer service."

• Cons

• "Some of the layout can be a little confusing, but that just takes some time to learn. It is logically organized, but it isn't immediately apparent until you tour through the software and explore it. "

• "There are still some functionality pieces that are getting worked out and updated. Some features are quick "click heavy" but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad."

• "The billing reconciliation can be cumbersome...but the benefits definitely outweigh the cons. "

Browse TheraNest Reviews

Amy from Amy Olshever, PhD, LCSW

Love Theranest

Overall Theranest keeps me very organized and on top of time sensitive issues like notes, rminders and billing.

Pros

Theranest is easy to use, keeps track of my calendar, sends reminders to clients, makes billing very easy.

Cons

I wish I could customize more reporting and sorting features to help me do the billing of insurance companies that I have to do on other websites.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

I chose theranest for ease of use and best value for the money.

Response from TheraNest

Replied May 2019

Amy thank you so much for the lovely review! We are so happy to hear that TheraNest is just the tool your organization needs to keep you on track and organized! A member of the Support team will reach out to collect more information about your reporting needs. We do have very robust reporting features so we want to make sure we can help point you in the right direction!

Micheal Frances from Revolution Psychotherapy

Industry: Mental Health Care

Theranest lies about their customer service

From time to time, I was able to break through to their "upper management" and was told they really care about me and my clients and my ability to deliver therapy to those in need. This too turned out to be a falsity. The decision to cut me out was born of my holding them to their word about live customer service. I have requested to speak to the business owner, but so far, the coward has not had the necessary honor to call a fellow business person to discuss this travesty. I am considering legal action against this company to recoup the money it will cost me to take down my data from Theranest and use another competitive software. THEY ARE POISON. Stay away from them.

Pros

It's a comprehensive program that handles most aspects of the claim processing we all need in a busy practice. They SAY they offer live customer service when a user runs into questions about how to use the program. That is why I chose them over Simple Practice, which offers NO live customer service. The reality is when you are in need of an answer on how to use an aspect of the program, you must leave a message on a voice mail. They will call you back when it's convenient for them to do so - and that's never when I need an answer. I do all of my claims submissions myself and I'm a fairly intelligent and computer literate user. This is a complex, intricate software with may nuances in use. My time is limited, and so it doesn't work for me to have to wait for an answer until it's convenient for them to call me back.

Cons

Simply put, they lie about their live customer service. Their training videos are convoluted, not well-produced and hard to follow in terms of content. I spent countless hours and significant money to make the transfer over to Theranest, and when I held them to account for their promised and not delivered live customer service they CANCELLED MY ACCOUNT! This has caused me undue stress and dollars...and they have been very callous and offered no-compromise position. I complained too much, and therefore, they got rid of me! Nice!

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

I chose them because they said they had live customer service available. This turned out to not be true.

Response from TheraNest

Replied November 2019

We value feedback from all of our customers and use that feedback so that we can continuously improve. While we believe TheraNest offers best-in-class customer service, we know every user has different needs for their practice. We at TheraNest work tirelessly to meet our customers' expectations each and every day.

Lindsay from WellBeings Therapy

Favorite EHR System!

I am very happy with my experience with TheraNest. I feel secure knowing all my files are in one place and I can access from anywhere, anytime. Training staff is easy too with so many videos and articles to help train them on how to use the system.

Pros

The product is intuitive and easy to use. I love the note writing (can copy from last note), treatment planning (wiley system) and billing features. I love that TheraNest is constantly updating and making the system better and better!

Cons

Creating custom forms can be difficult. You can't copy and paste a document easily and have to re-create each one. Once you get used to it, it becomes easy just takes some learning :) Sometimes it takes a day or two to hear back from customer service if you use the chat feature.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

Yes! I did trials for these 3 programs and chose TheraNest!

Not great for larger practices

Most everything has already been said. It's been like many up and coming technology companies - not a lot of great customer support; communicating through email is frustrating (because they don't read completely what your issues are, etc.); and lots of kinks to be worked out. I also feel as if their "updates" are focused on completely superficial and peripheral things and not on the core of the software.

Pros

The therapists on staff at my agency love the software. With only a few complaints, they find it easy to use and obviously are happy to not have paper files any longer. We have used this software since July 2018. I also appreciate that TheraNest offers a discount for nonprofits, which our counseling agency is a nonprofit. This helps with my budgeting.

Cons

The billing and reporting of this software is lacking in many ways, from the lack of robust reporting options to very elementary and clunky billing system. I would NEVER recommend this product for a group practice. Literally, we asked them early on - due to their statements being very difficult to read - if they had any accounting professional associated with the development of the software, and the answer was no. I have a CPA who reconciles our books every month and it's been a nightmare trying to reconcile TheraNest. Again, it might be good for a solo practitioner or for someone who is less worried about reconciling finances.

Response from TheraNest

Replied July 2019

Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we appreciate hearing about all experiences! We are happy to hear that your therapists are loving the ease of use and clinical documentation features. Client management is a breeze! More recently we have made several updates to both our billing and reporting features. If you haven't visited these functions in some time we would highly recommend giving it another try! Reporting is a breeze with the new customizable options on the Daily Billing report! We consulted with accounting professionals and did many customer validation calls and we are getting a lot of positive feedback. We are surprised to hear that you are having trouble communicating with our Customer Happiness team via email. Sometimes we may need to ask some clarifying questions to ensure we are on the same page so we can point you in the right direction. But we'd be more then happy to work with you over the phone if that is easier for you!

Kenneth from Kenneth J. Nelan

Great Reports - Slow to Nonexistent Customer Service

Pros

I really love the reports, especially the demographic reports (with pie charts even) that I can pull with this EHR. I also love the all-in-one pricing, in that I can have as many therapists as I want - pricing is based on number of clients, not therapists. This EHR is user-friendly, somewhat updated GUI (still lagging behind the times, but not bad), and easy enough to figure out on one's own.

Cons

Cons - truly - there is only one problem I have found in the limited time I have used TheraNest. If you need to contact customer support - good luck. Emails generally take a week or longer to receive a response and I have only spoken 1x to a live person by calling support - and I have called MANY times.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

I was really taken with TherapyNotes' reports and smooth operation. I love their pricing by clients rather than by staff. They do charge additional fees for Telehealth/clinician, but it's worth it to have an integrated client portal (with payment and signatures) and demographic reporting.

Sarah from Peak Professional Group

Superb Software

I can't imagine using any other EHR for our practice, and I have used at least three others before. The customer support team alone makes this service worth it, but the ease of use and workflow is so appreciated and truly makes my day to day tasks so much more efficient.

Pros

Theranest offers a very easy to use EHR, making it incredibly efficient to manage and bill for our practice of 350+ clients. The K-Base, though an often underused resource, is filled with all kinds of wonderful how-to articles and videos, the flow of use for scheduling, billing, taking notes, etc is sharp and efficient, and the support team is one of the best I have ever used in any professional and personal capacity.

Cons

Any process or service within this program that I did not enjoy was relayed to the support staff, and quite often they are working hard to hear their customers feedback and make appropriate changes to help improve their users experience. My biggest complaint from the beginning was the lack of ability to filter clients strictly based on their insurance carrier, but that has been in the works as an improvement for a little while and is in the pipeline to come through so I have no complaints!

Response from TheraNest

Replied July 2019

Sarah thank you so much for the glowing review! It's customers like you that make us better. Thank you for your support and loyalty to TheraNest!

Toy from Renewal Christian Counseling, PLLC

A MUST HAVE!!

This software saves me so much administrative time! Using TheraNest, I also save by not having to hire a billing company! Billing is a matter of a few clicks! It is truly a MUST HAVE for private practice! The customer service and technical help are prompt, friendly and professional! It was easy to set up and get started using. The help database is amazing (videos and articles). I have referred three others because I am so impressed and enjoy using TheraNest! I researched and trialed others, and I am 100% happy with my decision to use TheraNest! Time saving TheraNest helps me get rest!!!

Pros

Easy to learn and use! Super user friendly and intuitive! Great value! Telehealth option with interactive worksheet feature!!! Has mobile app version. Calendar syncs with google calendar. Processing payments is a breeze! Forms and client portal save time and paper! Billing is quick and easy--few clicks and done! Reports are nice business management feature! Client reminders and self-scheduling options! Customer service is TOP NOTCH! Progress notes and treat

Cons

Honestly, I cannot think of any cons. I have nothing negative to say about TheraNest!

Price Features Interface User friendly Intuitive

Response from TheraNest

Replied January 2020

Thank you so much for these wonderful words! We love to hear that you are enjoying TheraNest and referring us to your colleagues.

Melissa from Christian Teen Therapy Online

Industry: Mental Health Care

All-in-one platform that's perfect for my small private practice!

My business is very part-time on the side, and I didn't have time or resources for some of the other options that are on the market. TheraNest gave me everything I needed to run my practice easily, efficiently, and professionally.

Pros

It's simple to use and has everything you need to make your small private practice run. The customer support is AMAZING! I've never had a question or concern that wasn't quickly resolved by their great team.

Cons

I would like to see the TeleHealth screen be bigger. This is a work in progress since this is a newly added feature.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

TheraNest is the one stop shop that does it all in a super user-friendly fashion. Simple, affordable - exactly what we needed!

Response from TheraNest

Replied September 2019

Melissa we are so glad to hear that TheraNest is making a difference for your business! We can't wait to see how your business grows!

Katherine from Congruence Counseling, LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Perfect for small private therapy practice with plans to grow!

Theranest has helped increase our efficiency as a practice, as well as our professionalism with clients. Additionally it gives us the platform to grow as a practice over time and not have to worry about changing platforms.

Pros

I decided to try Theranest in hopes of making our current daily operations more efficient and give us the ability to grow over time. The client portal and therapist/admin platform is very easy to use, the user videos are super helpful, and the customer support is fast and informative.

Cons

I would like a little more ability to customize forms etc. specific to our practice, as well as more capability for app use. The app is the least user friendly feature of the software.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

Features, affordability, and customer service

Caitlin from Riverbirch Therapy

Industry: Mental Health Care

Motivated & Personalized Customer Service, User-friendly EHR that is likely to continue to improve

Overall pretty great product and service and seems to be a company that is focused on development and growth of the product and customer service experience. I've listed the things I like the least but even after studying other options, haven't been compelled to switch. I'd recommend them.

Pros

customer service is great--they make updates every month makes billing insurance pretty easy standard superbills easy to produce and email to client store all client data in organized, accessible fashion can subscribe to small cost subscription (lower amount of active clients) Allows electronic paperwork completion for clients Integrated client schedule with insurance billing credit card capability

Cons

clients can complete paperwork electronically but there are some flaws--can't require client signature field so have to do work around; ideally this would offer more official signatures as often as needed (this is a big liability issue) secure messaging included but these conversations can't be added to the cart through a click and also copy and paste function is deactivated. secure messaging also not available to with non clients to share PHI for example with a medical provider. Some issues with superbills showing a balance in a confusing way; we can't reflect discounts which creates liability issues, we can't send these through secure message easily (only email) I've heard too many complaints about the video platform so am not using it (or paying for it) at this time cumbersome to upload documents to the chart (I haven't figured out how to skip step of saving to my computer first) Simple Practice seems to have them beat in two areas: In TheraNest, Can't require client to enter their cc information when they register electronically In TheraNest, Client self-scheduling is not user friendly so I don't offer it

customer service monthly improvements

TheraNest for Small Group Private Practice

Overall, I have truly valued using theranest for my work. It has been a wonderful system for practice management that I can do virtually everything I need to for my clinical practice. Once you’re familiar with the system, it is so easy to navigate through and complete the work in a timely manner. Although not without its frustrations, Theranest still has room to grow and develop. But I’m happy to wait along for the changes they have made.

Pros

TheraNest offers our practice the ability to effectively manage a caseload from all different sizes, and enables us to maintain confidentiality of patient information even across different users. I love that I don’t have to worry about someone else seeing the notes or appointment dates other than those who should. TheraNest’s template for progress notes, intakes, and treatment plans are super helpful in keeping me organized and making sure that I do not miss any information that needs to be documented. Additionally, I appreciate the software’s consistent updates that take into consideration feedback received from users like me. I was especially appreciative of their addition of separate gender identity and pronoun lines in the client details section.

Cons

Learning the software is difficult - wherein we notice a lot of people making errors in setting up appointments or being able to navigate through the site. We also find that few people use TheraNest the same way across the board, which creates some inconsistencies for us on billing and case management. Additionally, I have noticed minor fixes that could help to change the overall experience. For example, there’s no option for a user to cancel/change multiple appointments at one time; e.g., when a therapist is going out of town for a week. Also, there is no option to maintain a history of client demographic information, once you update the information (or the client does) it is gone. Lastly, there are seemingly no options to enter notes or addendums to notes that are signed or attached to a billed invoice. As a clinician, we notice mistakes at times and need to include additional comments like follow-ups with collaborative providers, client homework, etc. that would be best attached to the session note.

Char from Sage Health Services

Industry: Mental Health Care

Exactly what we needed for our needs

Theranest has been very helpful to us for file storage purposes and the easy generation of therapy notes. We were having to deal with another therapy note writing system for our sister agency, and boy were they confusing and just not user friendly. It really made up appreciate what we have with Theranest. Their customer support section is great! Always friendly and helpful. They solved a very serious problem with our on-line usage of many webpages and the inability of being able to read PDF's for them all. It saved us a lot of time when they had the answer that everyone was asking when different programs didn't want to talk nicely to each other and function. It was a godsend! We are very happy with the service we have had!

Pros

It was easy to learn how to use the different functions that we needed. This system has a whole lot of uses but we do not use them all for our small company. What we do use has made document storage so much more easier than paper filing, and the versatility of being able to access it from other locations was a life saver for those late night calls from our employees needing to work. We could help them no matter what time of the day. They are constantly working to make improvements and add more functions.

Cons

Forms are not as customizable as we needed, but they are improving on this. My example would be when we would have to print up therapy notes for records release, the initial set up of their forms caused a simple checkbox note to print out to 4-5 pages of paper and in giant fonts! Yikes, that was a lot of waste just to have to fax client's records somewhere. Lots of trees went into those record releases, trust me. But Theranest listened to this and made the forms so that we could change how they printed. It was not picture perfect on some of them, but we were able to get down to 2-3 pages of printing!

Response from TheraNest

Replied December 2019

Thank you so much for this glowing review! We are so happy to hear that you are enjoying TheraNest!

Kristi from Friendswood Counseling Center, LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Great EHR for a mental health group practice

I've been extremely happy since switching to TheraNest! It has streamlined our daily workflow and reduced time spent on many daily tasks from completion of clinical notes, sending invoices, collection of payment/client check in, accounts receivable and training current/new staff just to name a few. I've also received excellent customer support throughout the entire process from first inquiring about TheraNest to questions being answered the longer we work within it since fully switching over to it.

Pros

There are so many features I love about this software that benefit our therapists, admin staff, clients and myself in the role of owner such as handling the billing as well as setting up the software for my group practice. We were able to go almost fully paperless is one huge benefit. Intake forms/new client paperwork can be custom created & sent to clients via the Client Portal. Completed forms are uploaded directly into their case/e-chart. Clients also can see past & upcoming appts, update their insurance info & make payments in the Client Portal. Their payment history is accessible there too. Another feature that is a huge time saver is the assisted claims feature. ERA's are received into TN & are almost solely automatically posted to client accounts for you. No more logging into 7 different websites to access EOB's/ERA's. Other features we love are: two-way appt reminders via text (clients can confirm/cancel from texts & we receive those responses within TN), integrated credit card processing reducing check in times for clients & automatic payment collection due to securely store credit cards, Wiley treatment planner & progress notes, missing progress notes reports, online training videos and the UserVoice Forum. The TN development team regularly takes user feedback from the User Voice forum to continually make improvements to the software/features offered. I wish I had switched to TheraNest so much sooner from the archaic EHR I had been using for so long!

Cons

I did not like that I was not able to call to immediately speak to someone to learn more about the software vs having to schedule a time to do so. I was concerned that would be the process if there were issues that arose if I were to switch. It has been easy to call in, email, etc with questions and I've received answers pretty immediately from the support staff.

Response from TheraNest

Replied November 2019

Kristi thank you so much for your kind words! We are so happy to hear your organization is enjoying all the benefits of TheraNest!

Maria from Private Practitioner / Dallas Art Therapy

New Electronic Note Taking and Billing Experience for my Practice

I am solving a time and storage problem through the use of Nest. The more I become comfortable with this software, the more I am able to do with leaving the office and having time for myself. In addition, I no longer pay an outside service for billing and bill almost immediately through the Nest program, understanding the ins and outs of how insurance panels prefer the electronic billing to another means. In the 6 or so months that I have used nest, I find it a tremendous asset to my business life as a therapist.

Pros

TheraNest continues to revamp and update its software making it more compatible to my needs as a clinician. Once you begin the experience of Nest and take it one step at a time, you realize that you are making progress with virtual notes and storage, billing and even telehealth! At first I was overwhelmed with learning to do everything online (changing from paper and pencil note taking, having an outside billing service to all electronic needs) I have made excellent progress where I am saving both time and money with the Nest Service. One great aspect of this service is the customer care with live online support and articles to read on areas I may need help. Training is offered on the areas I need the most help and the staff frequently ask how they can make this software product better and more compatible to my needs as a therapist's. A final accolade of Nest is being able to store secure photos of client art work and additional notes and documents. There is a secure client portal too if you choose to use this for intake and other virtual needs.

Cons

As a seasoned professional with little to no electronic note taking experience, my learning curve is not as adept to electronic storage, billing and virtual sessions. So, I find that sometimes the training tapes are too fast and too in-depth for one sitting. Therefore, I need to review them a few times in order to understand what area of Nest to access and what tabs I need to use for processing. Fortunately the support staff are ready to help me in all of my questions.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

My colleague in my office explained how the product works and I was given a month or two of free trial. However, I feel that the reviews I saw on line and from other colleagues helped me to decide to make the switch to electronic notes and storage through nest.

Response from TheraNest

Replied August 2019

Maria thank you for this very insightful review! Going from paper notes to electronic notes can seem like a daunting task but there is nothing to fear when you have a team of TheraNesters behind you! We are happy to hear that you've been able to cut cost, streamline your practice and get more time back for the things you love!

Gary from Sunrise Psychological Services/Sunrise Counseling Group

All In with TheraNest

Our office was using one company for scheduling patients and patient notification (text messaging); one company for billing; and one company for notes which resulted in huge opportunities for human error; the specific needs of our office were not addressed with any one company. TheraNest addresses most of our office needs in one integrated program. Scheduling, appointment notifications, progress notes, billing, and ERA (eventually). I previewed the ERA and it looks like it will efficiently apply payments to billed services. I am very satisfied with TheraNest and strongly recommend it for other Behavioral Health providers.

Pros

Imported years of data from another system into TheraNest with no errors and very limited time commitment. Their customer support was very helpful and honest about the transition. TheraNest is full featured- Our office used a competitor program for 30+ years but wanted/needed a cloud based state of the art EHR program- Our office tried several other popular programs but they all had significant limitations. We are very excited about Theranest. Our Office is new to the program but so far so good. The customer support is excellent. They are adding features frequently, including specific features requested by users. The start up learning curve is doable and our staff picked it up in a few days versus weeks. The scheduling, pt. appointment notifications, calendar, and agenda are well thought out and fully integrated. The initial intake note and progress notes took some getting used too but they work very well- DX codes are easily entered and updated. The progress notes are very professional and signed and cosigned if necessary. I know this sounds like a paid advertisement but I have spent a lot of time, money and effort trying other programs and I was never more encouraged than with Theranest. Our goal was to be fully functional with the transition from our current system to Theranest by January 2019. We are ahead of schedule and our intention is to bill our first full month of receivables for November 2018.

Cons

The fees were initially off putting. But after becoming familiar with TheraNest, I see the potential for a very efficient, time saving, integrated system that is well worth the monthly investment. There is also flexibility with monthly billing based upon caseload (increasing or decreasing at discretion of the user) and it seems fair.

Response from TheraNest

Replied December 2018

Thank you for the glowing review!! We are so happy to hear you and your team are enjoying TheraNest!

Karen from Meaningfully Connected LLC

Overall, my favorite EMR of the five I have used and tried.

Pros

Set up to document all phases of counseling; ability to upload documents into client records; MSE with each progress note; can email clients through client portal for HIPPA compliance; clients can securely complete, sign, and submit intake paperwork through client portal; ability to accept credit and debit cards easily for services rendered; GREAT invoicing and billing features; automated appointment reminders; integrated calendar; multi clinician capability; Wiley planner and progress note features; the reports feature is fantastic for tracking payments, invoices, and notes status. Subscribers can also develop custom forms for clients or for clinician documentation needs. The help and tutorial features are easy to follow, and customer service has been responsive. TheraNest continually seeks feedback about subscriber needs and uses that feedback to improve their product. There is also an internal office chat box feature.

Cons

Like any product, it is not perfect. The calendar feature is good but has room for improvement with respect to appointments spilling into nonwork hours or the occasional time I choose to see clients outside my regular hours to compensate for conferences or other needs taking time from my regular client schedule. I understand this issue is being addressed. Progress notes can be lengthy due to incorporation of the client's entire treatment plan into the note. I have yet to find a way to mark treatment goals and objectives as completed in the treatment plan even when using the review feature. This would be a helpful feature to track a client's progress quickly and for planning future session interventions to address unmet goals.

Response from TheraNest

Replied September 2018

Thank you for the review, Karen. You can now select to schedule outside of selected working hours on a client appointment. :)

Kyle from Triple Willow Mental Health, Inc.

Industry: Mental Health Care

Never felt alone; even in my darkest times.

Pros

TheraNest has EVERYTHING in one place. I have search high and low for several years; applied, signed up, and trialed several other soft-wares, and none of them compare to TheraNest. The Client Portal is a surprise when I share the feature with my patients. The Customer Service being accessible to all providers (Inters and Residents alike) is a huge plus so I do not find myself training (and retraining) through the semester to a new class when they can find the answers easily on their own. TheraNest makes the end of my session a 10 min wrap up with documentation, and the end of my day a 5 min wrap up to submit ALL billing. I save money on not having to hire a full-time employee to manage my billing and claims; merely a contract when there is an issue with the insurance themselves and a phone call is needed beyond my knowledge.

Cons

The only thing I could ever wish for, is prescribing rights and abilities. I plan to expand my company into the Medical Realm eventually, and this is a feature I plan to discuss with the developing team.

Response from TheraNest

Replied January 2018

Hi Kyle, thank you for the wonderful review. Our support team was all smiles when we read it as it¿s always our goal to be available for all users of TheraNest. We¿re very happy to hear that you (and your interns and residents) have been enjoying TheraNest and that it¿s helped make your practice easier and quicker to manage! We¿d be very excited to grow with you as your practice grows, that¿s why we¿ve passed on your e-prescribing request to our development team and we¿ll be in-touch to discuss your wants/needs for this feature. We take all feedback and suggestions very seriously. As always, don¿t hesitate to reach out if you need us! Thank you for being a valued customer, Kyle! Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team

May 2016

Patrick from Inner Fokus

May 2016

TheraNest is an evolving EHR platform with a great interface, and excellent technical support.

I have been using TheraNest for approximately 6 months. Here are some of my thoughts. Pros: Excellent User Interface. Very logical and intuitive to use, and a clean design. Very cost effective for practices with multiple clinicians. Extremely responsive technical support. Easy to use mobile applications. Nice features for streamlined and integrated billing, invoices, and SuperBills being created and sent to clients. Integrated CC processing. Patient portal for submitting intake paperwork. (add on charges) Patient reminders with SMS and phone calls. (add on charges) Excellent Up-Time and great communication from the owner. Cons: Limited customization options for the interface, reports, and standard progress notes. Not really fitting for practices with a prescribing professional. Creation of patient forms can be tedious and is not easily ported between TN accounts for different practices. Lack of ability to connect businesses with separate Tax IDs to a master account. (Modern practices increasingly use teletherapy, which can mean multiple business locations, Tax IDs, etc., and each location needs a separate TN account.) Lack of ability to connect the calendars of multiple practice locations to prevent double booking or double data entry. Overly basic invoicing and SuperBill formats without customization options (Per tech support, this is currently being revised, but is not yet released.) Inability to customize the Dashboard metrics, and current monitoring tools have limited practical utility. (Poor cash flow tracking, no notice of unwritten notes, etc.) Overly limited options for clinician site access (It is essentially either a decision to allow clinicians access to all billing information, or none.) Limited payment tracking for tracking payments to clinicians. Overall, I have chosen to stay with TheraNest, and am happy with the simplicity of it all. If the developers continue to help the site evolve, and address some or all of the concerns noted above, I will most likely stay with them and renew my contract for another year.

Response from TheraNest

Replied May 2016

Thank you so much for leaving a review, Patrick! We are planning to add a prescribing feature in the future. I have tagged your account so you will be notified as soon as it has been released. Thank you for your suggestion about allowing different tax ID's for the business. We are working on a tele-therapy feature so I will make sure to pass this along to the product team. We are able to sync your calendar appointments to both Google and Apple calendars. The Missing Notes report will show you each appointment that is missing a note. You can run this report by clicking Reports > Notes > Missing Notes Report. We are working on a complete billing re-design that should be released in the next couple of months. The new design will help you better track amounts paid by insurance and clients. If you have any other questions or suggestions please do not hesitate to let us know in the application or at support@theranest.com Thank you! The TheraNest Team

Ginny from Full Life Counseling & Recovery

Industry: Mental Health Care

Very good resource for our group practice

We have been users of Theranest for the last year. It is very, very user friendly, especially compared with some of the other products that we demo'd. Most things were very, very well --- scheduling, appointment reminders, progress notes, reporting features that help us know who is current with progress notes and assessments and who has gotten behind, treatment planning and diagnostic features. We do not use the Wiley Treatment Planner library, but we might at some point and are thrilled that it is available. We initially used the merchant account features to run credit/debit/flex cards through the system, but we found we could save considerably by having a merchant account with our bank instead. Switching back and forth was not a problem. We have generally been very pleased with most aspects of the service, especially the finance terms. This platform works very well for a practice that has several clinicians and when the work is exclusively individuals, couples or families.

Pros

We love it that we pay a rate based on the number of active clients, not the number of users. We have several part-time staff who want and need to be able to use the same system, and other EHRs charge by clinician. The best part, though, is that it looks and feels very much like a paper record, and getting tech-anxious clinicians to make the switch from paper really very easy. Even the most reluctant found that they love it and do not complain about changing from paper to EHR.

Cons

Group rosters, group notes and scheduling of groups is possible but definitely a weak area for Theranest. Other weak areas include the way the ledger interfaces with attendance in the creation of invoices and superbills (putting cancellations on them, even if there was no charge). And lastly, reporting features could be better for helping practice managers better assess productivity and other information. The dashboard looks great, but as far as I can tell, we can't change the data that the graphics are pulling from and they always are reporting information that is from the beginning of the practice's use of Theranest, not with any particular timeframe or different variables. This may be possible to change, but if so, it's not easy enough for THIS user to figure it out.

Jennifer from Red Road Holistic Health, Inc.

Smooth work Flow

I have actually watched this company grow and alter their Technology to adapt to ever-changing needs of Insurance Billing, Provider Scheduling, and smooth Office Management, since starting our contract with Theranest. I love the flexibility and growth this programming allows for Company growth!

Pros

The ease, efficiency, and great mechanics of this software makes my billing needs go very smoothly. I have ALWAYS received fast and efficient Technical Support and guidance from Theranest! This make problem solving in Office Billing go so quickly that the reliability of this program allows for great time management.

Cons

Secondary Insurance billing is complicated in that the Provider must actually submit and manage Primary Insurance Billing first before Secondary Billing can be submitted which leads to a longer delay in payment for services.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

Theranest was Highly recommended by a local peer professional and the cost of the program could not be matched. Along with the Visual graphics are much nicer than the traditional DOS programs.

Response from TheraNest

Replied January 2020

Jennifer thanks for the many wonderful years of business. We've enjoyed seeing you through your TheraNest journey and we look forward to many more years to come!

Carly from PSP

Average. Some strong features and some poor features

Pros

The mobile feature; Notes/scheduling/billing all in 1 program and platform; Client portal; Visually easy to understand and use without a lot of needed guidance;

Cons

1) The notes are rudimentary and unprofessional 'looking' when you print them. 2) The signature feature does not have enough characters to include full name and credentials & the hand-written option ends up looking like a preschooler signed your name; 3) all the demographic and other info that a ct fills out in ct portal forms DO NOT auto-populate to your intkae note template or anywhere, so you end up having to re-type a tone of information; 3) ct oprtal forms are easy to edit, but the actual intake and progress forms are NOT editable. They advertise "customizable forms" but neglect to tell you that if you use these, you don't get any of the built-in, dynamic software features such as the DSM-5 dx box, all demographic info, date/etc... that's the whole point- you can't run reports on these notes, etc.!!! 4) the text boxes that you type you notes in are not user-friendly...you have to scroll down if you type a longer paragraph in order to read/view and edit it. It's time-consuming and difficult to review your note. 5) not easy to upload photos or handouts that you and a ct create. You have to email it to yourself, download it and then upload it to TheraNest...too many steps! Overall, the note taking features in this EMR are poor.

Response from TheraNest

Replied January 2018

Hi Carly, Thank you for taking time to provide us a review. Voices like yours are how we improve our product and customer experience. We're always looking to incorporate customer feedback so thank you very much! We're happy to hear you've been enjoying our mobile app and client portal. It's nice to hear you find TheraNest easy to use and understand. We're here for you if there's anything we can help you with. Thank you for being a valued customer. We appreciate you, Carly. Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team

JudyAnn from My Solution Services

My experience has been great. There have been some changes to get used to, but we've gotten there.

Professional benefits for practice management.

Pros

Flexibility to manage the calendar without losing information. I like the options. Being able to add service codes for a busy practice. The in-practice chat is invaluable for the clients using it. Search and expanded view are very helpful. Powerful and speedy when uploading files. Real support. I've made requests for changes (along with others) and received attention. I've found some 'hacks' that made my task go smoother and enjoyed sharing them with support. Colorful. May seem a little thing, but we can have distinctive identity on the calendar for each or for all. Not necessary to open a completely different screen. Every effort to be secure. Never a problem with security or an uneasy hint that things aren't working right. Almost zero down time. We're working with 'machines', there is bound to be some down time, but the occurrences have been rare and quickly solved. Professional action. This reflects on patient desire for security. The appearance and behaviors for entering information are professional. Ample patient reminders. Patients can respond to reminders to connect with me if we miss one another on the phone. Email is especially good for this. I reviewed this software about a year ago and have come to like it even more.

Cons

A disappearing con: tutorials and knowledge base has expanded during the time I've been using the software.

Response from TheraNest

Replied September 2018

Thank you for your fantastic and thorough review, JudyAnn. We continue to build out more support documentation and videos to help you and your team.

Joseph from Life Counseling Services

Great EHR for Private Practice

The software is really good for a new private practice. Like any EHR software there is always a learning curve. For practitioners who are already adept with other EHR software this is fairly simple and learning curve is not difficult. At the beginning it may seem difficult but you can test/tinker around with the features without any negative consequences. Suggest you create a test dummy client and play with the features. You can delete the dummy file later. Customer services has been positive in all my interactions. I did not feel like I got stiffed any money or felt like customer service is a robotic call center in another country. Customer service always was courteous and tried their best to answer questions. If a problem arose, they tried their best to solve it or if it was a issue out of their hand, they were up front & responsible in their responses. The features are what a private practice needs including a) prog. notes b) ledger & forms for billing c) treatment plans d) built in assessment e) graphs to track cancellations, outstanding ledgers, and payments f) calendar for appointment schedules g) ability to upload documents to client's record and more. As a single software source for a private practice one really doesn't need extra software than TheraNest. The only flaw I ran into was the claims process. Specific insurance companies and Medicaid require specific boxes on claim to be filled in a specific way. The service location is the challenge on form 1500 which created a small headache. If you use one service location and that is all then it should be no problem. If you have 3 - 4 service locations such as multiple offices and you have to bill each location with a different number then it can be a little challenge. The problem can be remedied at the next level of billing at the clearinghouse which is what I did. In simple terms if you are just a single private practice and have one location then this issue will not arise. This is why TheraNest is great for private practices rather than large corporations. Cost for Theranest is decent because it charges based on the number of clients. Also if you have between 2 - 5 active clients, the cost is already covered once your claims get paid. At the time I started it was around $ - $ a month. With a single claim of $ - $ paid, the cost is already covered. Overall, I highly recommend it for a private practice and clinicians who are just getting started in their own practice.

Response from TheraNest

Replied February 2017

Hey Joseph! Thanks for taking the time to give us such a detailed review! We're so glad to see that you're liking the software and have been patient with us as we work to improve. Thank you for the feedback regarding locations, we're working on bettering that feature now and hope to have that out to you soon. Sincerely, the TheraNest team.

Christy from Massachusetts Psychotherapy Associates

Industry: Mental Health Care

Excellent practice management software for my solo practice.

Pros

I find the company is always growing, looking for ways to improve based on clinician feedback. Two changes/improvements have been made that I've requested (along with others) and they've made many many other improvements that hadn't necessarily occurred to me but that have increased efficiency or streamlining. The customer service is excellent. I used to spend hours doing my billing, and before that paid a human being by the hour to do it for me, and now it's literally a few clicks. I have very busy solo practice (30-35 patient hours per week) and I am 100% on top of my Intakes, notes, billing and incoming payments.

Cons

It has definitely steadily crept up in cost since I started using it in 2014, but I've compared it to other platforms and it's comparable or less for what you get. There are many features that I don't need at all in a solo practice, but again, this is probably true in other platforms (this, I'm not positive about) and anyway, I don't feel like I'm paying for a bunch of stuff I don't need.

Response from TheraNest

Replied December 2018

Thank you so much for your kind words, Christy. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us! We count ourselves lucky for loyal customers like you.

Chanel from Crossways

Industry: Mental Health Care

I have been using Theranest for the past 3 years and I am still being impressed by their product!!!

I aids my practice in running efficiently in all areas.

Pros

The user friendly software, color scheme, and efficiency is what I like most. I recommend it to my clients and I have not gotten one complaint about your EHR. It is great for the administrative staff, clients (Therabook), and the therapist. I love that their staff make me feel like we are one big happy family working together. My questions are answered in a timely manner and they are answered effectively. The same day I might add. Theranest is the best choice for a mental health private practice.

Cons

I honestly do not have a CON. I guess since I have to submit 100 characters as a min. I will say.... I setup many account for different mental health professionals and I have to use a different email every time. That can be a pain, because I do business with my company email.

Response from TheraNest

Replied September 2017

Hi Chanel! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for such a glowing review! You're a fantastic customer. You're always friendly, fun, patient and provide excellent feedback that helps us continuously improve in all areas. It's a pleasure when we hear from you. :) We wouldn't be where we are without customers like you. We're delighted and grateful to have you in our TheraNest family. We appreciate you! Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team

Stacy from Private Practice

TheraNest offers everything I need to keep my practice organized and paper-free!

Pros

TheraNest is one-stop shopping! For an affordable monthly cost, I get everything I need to keep my practice running smoothly - I can schedule patients, send them forms ahead of their appointment via the Client Portal, submit my insurance claims in two simple clicks, and keep track of my income by running monthly reports. I also like being able to write assessments and progress notes in my own style using the customs forms feature. Can't forget about customer support; TheraNest is great over the phone, and they certainly listen to customer requests by continuously adding new features each month. For someone looking for a paperless and organized practice, TheraNest is a must!

Cons

TheraNest can be a touch confusing when initially navigating its features. However, after repeated practice, I now find it so simple and easy to use. I wish the Client Portal/Custom Forms could be advanced so that we can change the font size and have control over bolding/italicizing/underlining certain headings and words.

Response from TheraNest

Replied May 2017

Hi Stacy, Wow, thanks so much for these kind words, this is a great encouragement for our team and we're overjoyed to hear that you're still loving the software. We greatly appreciate your loyalty and your feedback regarding a more customizable format. I'll be sure to pass that along and again, thanks so much. Sincerely, the TheraNest team.

Donna from Peace In Mind Counseling, LLC

Supportive, convenient, affordable, quality product!

Pros

The client portal and the fact that the intake can be done online! I love custom forms, the appointment reminders, emails, payroll.... I love it all! I especially love the customer service. I'm a loyal customer especially because of the way they are with their customers (texting, emailing and constant improvements). 10 stars!

Cons

Id like payroll to be able to have the option to select the payouts due tab and pay clinicians when claims are paid in full. Copays are attached to this currently and I have to select "copay paid to clinician" even though it's not in order for payouts due to work the way I need it to. I also need to be able to print out a demographics sheet on a single client to an option. I'd also like the email to have a time that an email was sent.

Response from TheraNest

Replied May 2017

Wow Donna! Thanks for the review, we are blushing over here and also thankful for your kind words. We love to hear that our customer happiness team is serving you well. I'll pass along your suggestions to our development team, but as a loyal customer you know you can always write in or use the microphone icon to make suggestions, we're always interested in your feedback as it very much shapes our plan for the future of TheraNest. Sincerely, the TheraNest team.

Tammy from Forward Thinking Perspectives PLC

Great experience with limitations

I would recommend Theranest to anyone who has less than 30 active clients at any given time. Once you go over 30 and add the price of extra features it goes from being comparable value to not being a good value.

Pros

The initial first session paperwork such as intake, privacy policies and informed consent are extremely easy to edit and make your own. Being able to do one note for a group and have it go to each group member's file was awesome.

Cons

Price is based on number of active clients and therefore was not good for me because of seeing some clients just to do evaluation and doing groups which makes number of clients more. Also reminders and other features are extra. I prefer to pay one price and know what it is. There is not the option to put handouts, assignments into folder for clients to access. You have to send them back and forth which clients complained was inconvenience. However, if my clients had not had previous experience with Counsol where there was folders I do not think they would have complained because they would not have known of other option.

Response from TheraNest

Replied April 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience! It sounds like you are enjoying the client portal and intake forms as well as our group appointment and not functions! After you send your initial intake forms you can certainly resend forms in a packet and not one by one. A support team member can reach out and help you with this. As far as pricing - our philosophy is that the number of active clients you serve is a much better representation of the size and needs of your practice than the number of people you have on staff. Allowing you to archive an unlimited number of clients and reactivate them at any time results in the vast majority of our customers paying significantly less for similar features versus our competitors. On average, things like text reminders cost less than $1/mo for 1 provider. Other optional features like Telehealth and Wiley Planners are optional add-ons rather than mandatory upgrades.

Mark from Melange Health Solutions

Great Product & Pricing But Service Note Functionally Lacking

I second all the glowing reviews but our Group bills Public Payers (Medicare, Tricare, Medicaid) in addition to commercial payers. We loved the user interface and ability to set up locations, accept payments, billing interface, and access /caseloads. Theranest has THE best pricing of the competitors. Most EHRs want to charge by # of Providers. That works great if every Therapist is Full Time. Theranest charges by tiers of # of active Clients so their pricing is linked to your revenue. GREAT Concept! However the Progress Note feature does not work for our Payers. The built-in SOAP Note is the only Note that will integrate with the client's treatment plan. Our Payers require that each Note is linked to a Treatment Goal. Also ALL of our Payers require PIE or BIRP format. Our therapist were not able to select/change the CPT/Service code when they completed their Clinical Service Note. The CPT/Svc code selection is made in the Appointment Screen and the therapist would have to go to another screen to change the Service Code. All the Therapist sees is the session elapsed time that they can change , for example, 60 minutes can be for family or Ind. therapy (different CPT codes). Also it puts the burden on the scheduler to choose the correct service vs the Therapist that conducts the session. Also, there was no way to seemingly enter an Add-on CPT code (complexity/crisis) to the primary service. AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE!! I did the 30 day trail and asked for a 14 day extension they were very accommodating. Wish the Progress Note documentation had met our needs.

Pros

Ease of Use Multiple Locations Accept payments and Billing Integration Wiley Treatment Planners integration

Cons

Progress Note Functionality No PIE Note Format Authorizations Management

Response from TheraNest

Replied March 2017

Hi Mark! Thanks so much for the review and for your candor, we genuinely appreciate it. We're always looking for ways to improve and we couldn't do it without your feedback. Please be on the lookout for someone from our support team contacting you, we want to talk more about what this could look like. Sincerely, the TheraNest team.

Jane from Contemporary Therapy with Jane Johnson Wall

Theranest makes running my practice so much easier.

Pros

Life is busy, and this streamlines my practice so that info, notes, and billing are all just clicks away. It is so easy to bill insurance companies, and the encryption for credit cards is a dream!

Cons

Now that the format has been updated, it's easier to navigate. Glitches that I experience are probably due to me- lol! The app does not have the all of the options available on the site. I'd love to be able to submit billing through the app. As of now, it does not appear that clients have the option of signing in to do paperwork, schedule, etc. That would be a helpful option.

Response from TheraNest

Replied January 2018

Hi Jane, thank you for the awesome review. We always want to hear that our customers are loving TheraNest. We¿re so happy to hear that TheraNest has helped you streamline your practice! Thank you for your feedback on the our app, we are currently working to increase the functionalities of our mobile browser/application, so make sure to stay tuned for the future updates. As always, we¿re here anytime you need us if you have any additional questions of feedback. We value you and your business, Jane. Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team

Amy from Inner Nature Therapy

Industry: Individual & Family Services

TheraNest for Psychotherapy EHR

I've found that TheraNest is quite responsive to user suggestions, leading to many positive changes over the last couple of years. For example, the Client Details form now offers many choices for "Gender Identity" and a space to write in Pronouns, which did not exist a year or so ago. I appreciate that TheraNest listens to the needs of its users.

Pros

TheraNest is relatively intuitive to use and easy to learn, given the wealth of Help videos located on the website. As someone who has worked as both a client and supervisor on the software, I can say that overall it is a great platform for groups of therapists

Cons

I have encountered some challenges with the flexibility of the software, for example, I wanted to have the option to administer a PHQ-9 monthly to clients, but even after seeking assistance from TheraNest, the only options available was to record a single PHQ-9 assessment or to tack it on to the Progress Note either week, neither of which was what I wanted. Another weakness is that they don't currently offer Tele-mental health, which is increasingly important to therapists.

Response from TheraNest

Replied March 2020

Hi Amy, We thank you for your thoughtful review! We are glad you are finding TheraNest easy to use and the Help center a great tool for your tool kit! We thought it was worth mentioning that TheraNest does offer Telehealth as an optional add on service. It is not included in the base subscription but it is available for purchase if you are interested!

Carson from Koved Care DE LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Easy to use, easy to get help

Ours is not a therapy practice, but private pay recovery coaching for people with mental illness. So some of the incredible insurance billing features are wasted on us. Even so, Theranest is easier to use and more cost-effective than our previous scheduling software, which was designed for the home health care market. We are happy we made the switch.

Pros

Scheduling, adding clients and adding staff are all very easy and intuitive. We like that we can add custom forms​ and that most of the reports are very useful. The online help articles and tutorials answer about 80% of our questions, and the chat help has quickly handled almost all the rest. When we did need to talk to a real person we could, and got what we needed in one call. We love that the team is super-responsive when we have a suggestion for a feature. App is easy for coaches to use remotely (we think; that's the next phase.)

Cons

As of now, you can't link uploaded documents to particular sessions, or substitute a custom signable form for the Progress Notes form built-in. I wish the Staff Billing Report would create its own subtotals by staff​ member, as this would save us a lot of time doing payroll. Similarly, we'd love the Daily Billing Report to have subtotals by client. And we would love to be able to filter the calendar by client, but this is a small thing (you can see a list of appointments in the client tab, but not laid out in a weekly calendar).

Response from TheraNest

Replied June 2019

Hi Carson! We are so happy to hear that you are finding TheraNest easy to use! Thank you for taking the time to write us a review we sincerely appreciate it!

Esther from North Star Therapy

Industry: Mental Health Care

Best on the Market, and ALWAYS improving!

It's been brilliant. Excellent customer service. HIGHLY recommended.

Pros

- LOVE being able to complete billing so easily through the platform (we do private pay with credit cards and then use PDFs of the invoices for those using Medicaid Waiver) - LOVE being able to to upload files to the client's file, including mp3s. - LOVE how responsive and progressive the developers are. They are ALWAYS improving!

Cons

- There are limitations to how much one can customize the progress note form. However, one can create a "custom form" (that is not a progress note) when needed.

Response from TheraNest

Replied August 2019

Esther thank you so much for this glowing review! We appreciate you!

October 2015

Philip from Philip M. Alex, Ph.D.

October 2015

TheraNest has transformed how I document and manage my solo private practice -- Outstanding!

I have been using TheraNest for nearly two years. I compared it to three other popular online practice management subscription software programs for mental health professionals and decided on TheraNest because its features met the needs of my practice and because the customer service is suberb. PROS: The program provides easy calendaring, full case documentation capability with printable case notes, a great mental status assessment feature, an ICD-10 compatible diagnosis selector, excellent invoice and superbill capability, color-coded client balance indicators, optional client reminders, optional client portal, insurance billing, optional credit card capability, capability to upload files and other documentation from your computer, batch client billing, custom form creation, a wide range of "report" features to help track one's practice, and much more. The program is generally simple to navigate. Customer service/support are absolutely superb: responses to inquiries are rapid, courteous, personable, thorough, and effective. Beyond providing outstanding service, the customer support personnel and the development team have been highly receptive to my suggestions for improvement and for new features that I hoped to see incorporated in the program. To my delight, quite a number of changes to the program have occurred as a direct result of my suggestions and recommendations. That has made me feel like not merely a user of TheraNest, but rather like a participant in its evolution, which has been very exciting for me. I use this progam multiple times a day, every work day. I depend on it heavily and enjoy using it. I have never regretted making the switch from a traditional file and paper practice to TheraNest's online subscription service. CONS: Very few, indeed. I would love to see greater integration within the program from a user interface perspective, a little more attention paid to logical workflow, a little less redundancy with respect to access links and buttons, some further cleanup of (by now relatively minor) inconsistencies in tab, page, button, and link labeling; I would also prefer a more modern overall "look" to the program, but that is my aesthetic preference and is not a significant issue for me in the big picture. I recommend this program highly and without reservation!

Rachel from Windstone Counseling, LLC

Quality Product & Caring Staff

I love how I can use one system to schedule clients, complete documentation (intake, diagnostic impressions, treatment plan, case notes), billing (private pay or insurances via clearinghouse, and credit card processing). It helps me to stay organized and sets reminders for tasks.

Pros

Theranest has provided me with ease of billing, documentation, and scheduling clients. Their fees are very reasonable and you get a lot for the price you pay. The staff are consistently looking for ways to improve their produce and regularly incorporate suggestions from their customers. Their customer support team is efficient, kind, and professional. I had a situation wherein I needed to get reimbursed for an added feature due to me not being able to use it. Due to personal circumstance, I was unable to request the reimbursement immediately and they were very empathetic and helped me. Their team offered condolences, virtual hugs, and were readily available to provide additional support as needed. It was a testimony that this is an organization who really cares about its customers.

Cons

Most of their customer service is provided via online. I prefer talking to a live person over the phone; however, when you electronically submit a question, they are very quick to provide a resolution.

Response from TheraNest

Replied February 2018

Hi Rachel, we're thrilled to receive your 5/5 star review. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We're all touched by your kind words for TheraNest and hearing you appreciate the support you've received from us. We love giving virtual hugs and helping as much as we possibly can! If you're not already aware, just want to make sure you know we do provide unlimited phone support during business hours. You can conveniently access our 1.800 number while logged into your account using the ? icon in the upper right hand corner, then selecting "Contact Us". Or if you prefer, you can schedule a call with us for a date/time that works best for you. We know your schedule is busy and your time is valuable so sometimes scheduling a call from us is the better way to go for a customer. Whatever works best for you! Thanks again, Rachel. We appreciate you! Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team

Greta from Santa Maria Counseling

Industry: Mental Health Care

If you value customer service, this is the program for you!

All my billing is integrated. My clients love the appointment reminders and that their co-pays are paid with a click of a button after each appointment. My new patients love the patient portal. My notes are much more thorough and audit-proof. All my patients who were with me before the switch have commented that they like theranest better.

Pros

1) The customer service by far! I've never had an issue getting questions answered. 2) I love the customizable forms and the client portal. 3) I enjoy that it works with by previous clearinghouse, office ally. I love that I get help with billing when I need it. 4) I love that I can save credit cards and be paperless with my forms and client signatures. 5) I am enjoying that it syncs to my calendar so I can easily avoid double-booking my personal life and work life.

Cons

1) Invoicing is clumsy. There is no "pay now" button when I email an invoice and no way to set up automatic invoicing. 2) Processing ERAs is also quite awkward, I have to have two windows opened up at the same time to enter the write-offs and payment amounts correctly into one account. My previous software fed the information into the patient account automatically, with one push of a button. I have found ways around both these issues and am holding out hope that they will add this feature!! 3) I am regretting that I picked a software limited by patients rather than staff. I am working to keep my active clients under 50, but that's kind of a pain.

Response from TheraNest

Replied December 2018

Thank you for the review! We appreciate all your kind words about our program! TheraNest always takes customer feedback seriously, and we are constantly releasing new features and improving upon our existing ones.

Veronica from Envision Counseling Clinic

The TheraNest is very responsive to ideas and to questions.

I use it daily.

Pros

It's all-in-one and I only have to learn one program to take care of scheduling, notes, billing, etc.

Cons

The thing I like least about TheraNest is that there isn't a price break as you gain more clients.

Response from TheraNest

Replied January 2018

Hi Veronica, thank you for the kind review! We're very happy to hear that you've been liking TheraNest. It's wonderful to know you find our team responsive to ideas and questions because we do take yours and all of our customers feedback seriously. We are constantly releasing new features based on customer requests and improving upon existing features. Our goal is always to help make running your practice as smooth as possible so you can best serve your clients. We work very hard to build the best solution out there for practice management needs to deliver amazing value and support, and we believe that TheraNest delivers more value than it costs. If you ever have any questions about growth and pricing, one of our Business Development Specialists would be delighted to talk through options with you. Thanks again for the review and for being a valued customer, Veronica! Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team

Cory from Healing Hearts Therapy

The software is easy to use, billing is quick and simple, awesome options for treatment planning.

Pros

I like the ease of billing, very simple and quick. Theranest offers classes to increase knowledge of billing and how to avoid mistakes.

Cons

I would like to see other options available on the invoices and billing set-up. An example of this is: when billing for out-of-network benefits a person must meet their deductible first. The way the system is set up now, you have to bill the insurance first, then go back and accept a payment. This payment is this categorized as the client overpaying for services. It would be nice for this kind of a scenario to have a simplified way of completing this transaction.

Response from TheraNest

Replied January 2018

Hi Cory, thank you for the awesome review. We are really glad to hear that TheraNest is helping to make your billing easier and quicker. We¿re always trying to help our customers get the most out of TheraNest and their practice so we¿re happy to see that you¿ve found the TheraNest classes to be useful! Thank you for the billing feedback, as you know, we take our customer feedback very seriously. We¿ll be sure to look more into this issue and see what we can do to better support out-of-network insurance billing. Thank you for being a valued customer, Cory! Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team

June 2016

Jackie from Ozarks Counseling Center

June 2016

Great Software Solution for our Group Practice

I'll start by saying TheraNest has some of the best customer service I have ever encountered which made the difficult transition to using practice management software so much easier for our office. We are a small non-profit mental health counseling agency that was badly in need of updating office efficiency. From the very beginning of setting up a demo to on-going questions, they have been patient, understanding, and very helpful. We also found this software to be the most affordable option with the most features after A LOT of research. We are very pleased overall!

Pros

We think that TheraNest is overall easy to use and staff in our office quickly learned the functions. It has been very reliable and is continuously updated to add new features and improvements. Again we have been very grateful for the customer service and tech support that is on-going. Lastly this was this software product offered all the functions (i.e. scheduling, reminders, billing, documentation) we were looking for at a reasonable price.

Cons

Some cons would include the lack of customization available for clinical documentation. We have created work-arounds for this but it would be nice if we could fully use the software for all our clients. Although you can make a custom form, this isn't integrated into the reports function either. Similarly it would be great if there was more custom reporting options in general. However, I feel that for the affordability this is an acceptable compromise.

Response from TheraNest

Replied June 2016

Thank you so much, Jackie! We are thrilled that you found TheraNest easy to use. We are planning to improve the custom form feature to allow tying them to reports in the application. Let us know if you need anything, we are happy to help in any way. :) Thank you! - The TheraNest Team

Gala from Empowering Relief Counseling

Theranest Chat Support Is The Best

Pros

I am new to Theranest, though my company is not. I have been able to use the software with ease and learn the functions quickly. If i have a problem or question, Theranest's customer service representatives have always been helpful. I love the chat feature because I don't have to interrupt my whole day to get on the phone. They answer my question in a timely manner. I highly recommend this software.

Cons

Some functions can be improved. Maybe adding a way to calculate monthly average income, etc. I would also like to see the client ID displayed with the insurance and DOB on the left hand side of the client ledger.

Response from TheraNest

Replied November 2019

Thank you for giving our Support Team a shout out! They work hard to take good care of our customers. We appreciate your kind feedback! Monthly average income can be calculated based on the billing reports. Great feedback regarding the Client ID number, we love to hear how we can improve the user experience!

Kenneth from Self

TheraNest Helped Me Improve Every Area of Practice

As stated above, I feel that I am better able to store information in a manner that invites reconciliation with time and money management. The Planners have provided some inspiring ideas as well as reliable language to describe some pretty important aspects of therapy. I am able to use TheraNest to manage both macro and micro social work, with some adaptation, as well.

Pros

I was a database developer, and had tried to create my own computerized record system long before we coined the term "EHR." TheraNest met all of the needs I tried to fulfill and that were lacking from other programs. I feel that I am better able to store information in a manner that invites reconciliation with time and money management.

Cons

The inability to modify the casenote or treatment plan form, or effectively export the data within documents (other than PDF).

Response from TheraNest

Replied December 2018

Thank you so much for the review, Kenneth! We are so flattered by your kind remarks, especially coming from a database developer!

Casey from Casey J. Simon, M.S., LMFT

Theranest for Private Practice

I have used several scheduling and billing programs in my private practice and find Theranest to be a top contender. Theranest offers a wide variety of useful tools, such as scheduling, schedule reminders, electronic insurance claims, billing, documentation, and analytics for attendance, billing, and scheduling. I have been using Theranest for a few years now and find it to be relatively glitch-free, and when I encounter an issue or have a question, customer service is extremely helpful and quick to respond.

Pros

Theranest does a great job when it comes to submitting electronic insurance claims, creating superbills and/or invoices, and has plenty of storage for electronic files. Theranest also has an ios application that is user-friendly and helps with scheduling and task management.

Cons

The program is not very user-friendly, unlike SimplePractice which offers a more streamlined and clean look. Theranest needs to work on their calendar feature as it is not user-friendly or very practical.

Monica from Transformative Wellness LLC

Comprehensive EHR with no contract

My colleagues and I began with a very comprehensive - and expensive - software that was confusing and frustrating to navigate. After doing a free trial twice and speaking with customer service about questions and concerns, we decided to switch to TheraNest. After being in business for a year, we have no regrets doing so. It continues to grow with us. And, we could not be happier with the software and team at TheraNest

Pros

1. Very cost-effective 2. Stellar customer service with instant messaging 3. User-friendly 4. Comprehensive Intake, Diagnosis Eval, MSE, and progress notes fields 5. Custom forms 6. Email and Text reminder for clients 7. Streamlined insurance billing process 8. Continually enhancing software based on feedback from the professionals who utilize the software 9. Utilizes Wiley Treatment Planners and Progress Notes 10. Supervisor signature on progress notes for supervisees 11. Alerts of upcoming appointments, supervisory comments, etc 12. Instant messaging for all on your account 13. Free trial

Cons

None ---------------

Joseph from Life Counseling Services

Highly Recommended Software

It has been my primary EHR.

Pros

Theranest has come a long way since it was started. Theranest is a software that has the ability to keep progress notes, remind clients of appointments, create treatment plans, connect up to a clearing house for claims, track profit, track session hours, and conduct online therapy sessions. I made a review back in 2016 but need to now re-review it because it has improved greatly in the past 2 years. The changes have been with added features and user friendliness. As a private practitioner I would greatly recommend for private practice or small agencies.

Cons

The cost has gone up in 2 years but that is not surprising. Still affordable but could be just a teeny bit cheaper. Really no major cons.

Response from TheraNest

Replied November 2018

Thank you for the honest review, Joseph! We really appreciate it.

Cristy from Therapist

Industry: Mental Health Care

Great Platform for a Teletherapy Practice Looking for an 'All in One'

So far so good! I like the ease of use, all of the tools offered, and how documents etc. can be formatted to fit my practice needs. I hope to continue using this platform.

Pros

I chose Theranest on the recommendation of an online therapists group I am a part of. So far, I have enjoyed the price point, the scheduling, calendar, intake and notes portion of Theranest and I like what I know about the teletherapy platform as well.

Cons

I am not completely sure about the teletherapy platform in that I have only utilized it on a 'trial' basis. I like that it is built into the emr service and it seems to be competitive with other teletherapy platforms I have tried or looked into.

Response from TheraNest

Replied September 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review Christy! We are glad to hear TheraNest is meeting all your needs as a Teletherapy Practice!

November 2015

Cary from New Ground Counseling

November 2015

Great value

I am a therapist working in private practice; I do all my own record keeping and accounts. Pros - Fantastic provider support - quick, friendly, and personable. Very reasonable monthly rates. Once you get the hang of it, quite easy to use. Pretty to look at. Cons - It was much harder than expected to learn how to navigate the software. Connecting to the electronic billing was difficult, cumbersome, and extremely time-consuming. First you have to set up electronic billing agreements with each insurance provider. Then, billing information for each insurance company, and in some instances, each plan within the company, has to be entered individually and with great care to make sure it is working right. For instance, an EAP within United/Optum might be billed under a completely different customer ID than their regular individual coverage. YOU have to make sure everything is exactly right. Expect this, initially, to take many hours of tedium - and expect a hiccup whenever a plan, copay, or coverage changes. I don't know if this is true of all record-keeping software programs, or particularly Theranest, but it is a pain. Specific things I don't love about Theranest mostly include financial/bookkeeping functions. When I receive a payment, I have to receive it manually in TWO places - the client's ledger, and also the Submitted Claims section. This is silly. Also, maneuvering between sections is not intuitive (for me, anyway) and it took awhile to become adept.

Response from TheraNest

Replied January 2016

Hi Cary, Thank you so much! We are always just a 'click" away. :) Let us know if you need anything, we are happy to help. Unfortunately, some insurance providers require additional paperwork to get credentialed on their end. We have an ERA feature that allows for you to automatically pull in the ERA files from the clearinghouse to be applied to the client's invoice with a click of a button. You can read more here: http://support.theranest.com/customer/portal/articles/1772507 I will also follow up via email with additional information. :) Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. TheraNest Support

Sharon from Transformative Wellness LLC

Happy with Theranest

The system is very user-friendly and the support staff is very prompt in their response time, very knowledgeable and correct issues or help direct clinicians to where they need to go. They also have been constantly in communication with a therapist to improve the system. They have implemented many new aspects to the program which continues to make record keeping easier and less time-consuming.

Pros

Very user friendly

Cons

In the mental status section of the progress note, the drop downs do not go away when you type in the box unless you save each time you move from one block to the next. The Wiley progress notes are not accessible from the calendar and that often causes time errors.

Response from TheraNest

Replied January 2017

Hey Sharon! Thanks for the review, we are so appreciative that you've noticed how much your feedback means to us. Please keep it coming! Also, we're currently working on updates to the calendar, including being able to access notes. Keep an eye for that feature and let us know if there are any other ways in which we could serve you better! Sincerely, the TheraNest team.

Christine from Christine P. Rhodes, LICSW

TheraNest saves me Time and money and my Clients love the portal as well!

Pros

The ease of daily invoicing as well as the treatment planning and reports are all quite helpful. I access the insurance information daily and the ERA and payment options are time savers and efficient.

Cons

I would like the change the home screen setup layout so that I can customize the appearance and layout.

Response from TheraNest

Replied January 2018

Hi Christine, thank you so much for the 5 star review. It makes us very happy to know that TheraNest has been able to help you effectively manage your practice! We¿re always trying to make sure our customers have access to the information they need when they want, so we¿ll be sure to pass on your customization suggestion for the dashboard to our development team. Thanks again for the review. If you ever have any additional questions or feedback, we¿re always happy to help. Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team

July 2016

Sophia from Advanced Counseling Services, PA

July 2016

THE BEST !!!

Support is TERRIFIC and extremely timely. Darcy in particular. She is super friendly and an excellent communicator. She deserves a raise.... just saying..

Pros

Cons

I have more than one clinician so if an appt is scheduled for one clinician it's next to impossible to click in the same appt slot to schedule an appointment for another clinician. I do realize that the appt can be made by selecting the staff member and doing it that way but it would just be easier if there was a way to do it from the screen that shows all the appts for all the clinicians. The other thing is having to pay a separate fee per clinician to use the treatment planner.

Response from TheraNest

Replied July 2016

Thank you so much for leaving a review, Sophia! We will definitely pass on your love to Darcy. :) You can still create an appointment for the same time as another staff member on the day view and not staff. You can double click on an open spot in the calendar then adjust the time and save. I will also pass on your comments to the product team. Thank you again for the review and sending this in. If you have any other questions or suggestions please do not hesitate to let us know at support@theranest.com. Thank you! The TheraNest Team

FRED from Winfield Consulting, Inc

Great for a solo practice-makes insurance billing a breeze!

Ease of managing a solo psychology practice. Help with insurance claims. Easier tracking of notes, invoices, billing.

Pros

I love the ease of entering standard notes, templates, the ease with which one can create invoices. The integration with insurance clearinghouses (I use Office Ally) was the main selling point for me. Keeping track of finances, billing, invoices is very easy. Customer service is very responsive and helpful.

Cons

There are a few little tasks that need to be entered manually more than once. For example, an insurance claim that is paid needs to be marked paid, then entered again. Not a big deal.

Response from TheraNest

Replied September 2017

Hi Fred! Thank you for taking time to provide us a great review. Customers like you make it easy for us to love what we do! To the mark claims paid point, we have some feature enhancements on the roadmap that I think you'll be excited about. We'll be sure to keep you in the loop on that. We appreciate you, Fred! :) Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team