Bloomerang Reviews

4.66 / 5 (543) FrontRunners

Our advisors have recommended this product 37 times in the last 30 days

• Pros

• "It is very easy to learn and the amount of information that it is able to store for us on our constituents is extremely helpful!"

• "Integration and set up was seamless and it is very user friendly. "

• "Very easy to learn to use. Easy and fast to look up information"

• Cons

• "The new reporting is a little hard to get used to but has a lot of power and features."

• "Building reports can be a little tricky, but the reporting is flexible and informative."

• "I didn't like the email newsletter features, but the recent improvements have changed my mind."

Browse Bloomerang Reviews

Jeff from American Venous Forum

Excellent for Most Non-Profits

At a prior non-profit, I switched them from Raiser's Edge (desktop) to Bloomerang. I gained a ton of features and saved quite a bit. The conversion was painless. I've only had to contact support a few times and they have always been extremely helpful. In my current role, I set them up with Bloomerang as their first database. I have also recommended it on multiple occasions.

Pros

Bloomerang is intuitive and easy to use. Creating and reporting with custom field has never been easier and really allows you to customize it to your needs rather than using a standard field for something else. The ability to create embedded forms is a lifesaver. The integrated email capabilities save me from having to purchase another solution like Constant Contact. Plus, these interactions are automatically recorded in the donor/prospects data file. The integrated DonorSearch option is convenient, useful and cost-effective.

Cons

If my organization ran a ton of events, I'm not sure this would be my optimal solution. Currently, there is only one level of access - so I can't let a Board Member in to look around because any accidental changes they make would be permanent. I know that Bloomerang is working on this though.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Ease of use, integrated forms/email/DonorSearch, custom fields

Cyrilla from Foundation Monroe County Community Schools

Very Happy

My experience with Bloomerang has been very positive.

Pros

I feel Bloomerang is a good donor management software and works very great the the size of our organization. It is easy to navigate and the customer support is timely and helpful. They are continuously improving the software.

Cons

My biggest negative is not really the software but my ability to keep up with the changes/improvements. For example we have the system for several years and built a lot of our emails using templates that were donor concentric at that time. When you need an email you just copy them and adjust the content for the new email. What I found during the pandemic is the current new templates give a fresh look. I had time to rebuild some of this communication.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

I watched a demo of Bloomerang at an INAPEF conference. I liked it and other members had made the switch. They were happy so we went with.

March 2016

Fernette from Dyslexic Advantage

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

1.5

March 2016

Limited Options and Poor Customer Support

Pros

We sought this vendor because of its simple platform and reduced cost.

Cons

There are so many negative experiences, it's hard to identify what I liked least. 1. Revolving door customer support. Sales was very attentive, but after we purchased, we had difficulty getting ahold of our customer support. At one point she said she only worked 2 days a week, and then she called from a noisy street. Customer support didn't know about integrations with other products or setting the platform for automation, so it took weeks to allow her to put me in contact with engineering. He answered in a helpful email that took 5 minutes. Constant Contact support is much better than this - it doesn't matter to me who I get on the phone if they are knowledgeable and nice. Other platforms definitely have their support personnel better trained to answer questions. 2. Inadequate documentation for support - Videos, no Texts. As is common I think for startup companies, Bloomerang filmed short videos, but neglected proper text documentation. Our donation director would watch videos, then have trouble finding appropriate parts if she had any questions. Good tutorial documentation has text (that can be searched) and also screenshots to help people know what to do. 3. Poor default donation forms - the donation forms were ugly and not what someone would expect for a donation software. We had to go with MailChimp anyway and so there was the added cost. Bloomerang is definitely not a good option for emailing your list (others have mentioned). 4. Poor search of the donation database. If you wanted to select a list by a certain demographic - like donors of a certain amount or from a different state and some other feature and then email them, then Bloomerang couldn't do it. Although they will take some customization of the donor entry, we often found that adding different client details couldn't be searched. What is the point of adding more details if you can't find them later? We had used another platform with better search capabilities. 5. They do not search for duplicates or common typographical errors. As a result, you may be charged for a much higher number of people that are not truly in your database. Other mail lists like Constant Contact search for duplicates and also make corrections in email addresses (like a missed period between gmail and com). Nothing like that in Bloomerang. 6. They do not stand by their product. There is no customer satisfaction guarantee. Although we stated a desire to cancel the product entirely after the first year and asked the rep not to process our direct deposit, she did it anyway. Bloomerang told me that their policy is not to refund any money even though we will not be using their product at all. I was not contesting the 1 year that we already paid into, what I didn't want to do was pay for the future year because we would not use it because it had so many missing needs. Just using an integration with Mail Chimp would serve us better than Bloomerang. The communication piece with Bloomerang is extremely weak.

Response from Steven

Replied March 2016

Hello, Software Advice community! I'd like to address you, the reader of this review, directly rather than the author, whose review is largely punitive rather than constructive. Bloomerang absolutely stands by its product, which is why we did not allow this customer to break their signed agreement. We did, however, offer to pay for their third year in full. You can see from the feedback on this site that a vast majority of our customers (whom this reviewer condescends) are satisfied. I'd like to address individually some of the more dubious claims found in this review: "Revolving door customer support." Our support team currently consists of seven, US-based internal staff members. Their schedules are as follows (all times are eastern): Jason: 9am-6pm M-F James: 9am-6pm M-F Diana: 830am-530pm M-F Kristen: 830am-530pm M-F Daniel: 11am-8pm M-F Ron: 9am-3pm (3-5pm in another department) MTRF Susie: 11am-4pm T-F Our last turnover in the department was voluntary and occurred in June of 2014. Furthermore, our phone system routes support calls to a dedicated phone on each of our reps's desk. They do not give our their cell phone numbers to customers and do not take calls after hours. Calling from "a noisy street" would have been impossible. Lastly, our support reps are incredibly knowledgeable, not just in the Bloomerang product but in the nonprofit sector overall. For example, Ron has been working with nonprofits since 1987 when he became Executive Director of the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame. Kristen holds an MPA in Nonprofit Management from Indiana University. "Inadequate documentation for support - Videos, no Texts." This is simply untrue. Our knowledgebase is filled with text-based documentation, including screenshots and videos. Anyone wishing to see for themselves can visit https://bloomerang.freshdesk.com/support/home and log on with the username: "demo.wayne" and the password "grace123". As for the rest, I invite anyone interested in Bloomerang to learn all that they can about the product's functionality by reaching out to customers who have left constructive reviews here. Transparency is one of our core values, and anyone wishing to discuss this review further - or any of our business practices - can reach out to me or our CEO, Jay Love, anytime day or night. Contact info is readily accessible on our website. -- Steven Shattuck, VP of Marketing

Angie from Ark Crisis Children's Center

Love it!!!

I switched to Bloomerang after being with another database system for a little more than a year. I have never looked back and have recommended Bloomerang to so many other nonprofits in my area. I have never had a problem that couldn't be figured out or worked around.

Pros

The clean look, ease of use and ever-updating features are wonderful. The additional trainings on many topics related to non-profits are a bonus. I love that I never have to encounter the word "query" when running reports! I also appreciate that many features are automatically included so I don't feel "nickel and dimed" every time I need to integrate new features.

Cons

I wish there was an easy "shopping cart" feature that would integrate with my website so I could easily sell tickets to events without having to manually each purchase.

Dorothy from shalom community center

Bloomerang for Small Shops

In a word, great. We really appreciate their graduated approach for pricing. They have a set rate for certain number of records and don't raise the price until the organization increases its donor numbers, thus same price until organization is better able to pay for increased services. They seem to be open to customer feedback about additional features that would improve the product as they do make upgrades.

Pros

Moving from FileMaker Pro to Bloomerang.

Cons

We just figured out that their server can't handle a HUGE increase in users as what we experienced with Giving Tuesday related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Bloomerang offered more features for not more money. We liked the graduated pricing approach. We really appreciate the personal communication with Bloomerang staff. Bloomerang has great customer support and wonderful training options!

Response from Bloomerang

Replied May 2020

Thanks, Dorothy! We love product/feature feedback, so keep it coming! Since Giving Tuesday, we've beefed up our servers. Would you believe we had 10x the usage as we did the last GT? We're covered for that now, and more!

Maggie from Goodwin Connections

Best development database for small to mid-size nonprofits

We needed a database that all employees could use with little training to do basic tasks. Other ones out there were too complex and we would have had to hire a database cordinator to only work with the application.

Pros

Over the last 4 years we have saved so much time by using Bloomerang. Resources are tight with a nonprofit our size and time is very valuable.

Cons

I am not a huge fan of the new email interface.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Cost, ease of use, flexibility when running reports

Anna from One Health Organization

Industry: Veterinary

Bloomerang is flexible and affordable

Overall, I really enjoy using the program. There are a few areas that are a little tricky at first (coordinating reports, emails, thank you pages, and website functionality) but once you get used to it, the software is a very powerful online and print marketing tool for nonprofits that track touches and fundraising results.

Pros

I like that it’s easy to use, the help desk options and features, their free webinars, the dashboard, that I can add fields to most anything, that I can adapt the software to meet our unique needs, that we can add other features with their partner organizations, I like the ability to send out emails and print letters so that we can track who gets which email and letter, that we can track fundraising success, and that it is an affordable price for our small nonprofit.

Cons

There are some fields that I’d like to add options that don’t allow it, such as adding other professional degrees beyond MD. The are some fields that allow for picking more than one option, which I like. However, one of our list of options is very long so it takes up a lot of space on the screen; it’s best used for a short list of options.

Alicia from Code Platoon

A great option for any nonprofit!

Bloomerang is a pleasure to work with! Their customer services is topnotch.

Pros

Bloomerang is an excellent donor management tool for our team. After careful research of many options, Bloomerang stood out for its ease of use, library of video tutorials, and functionality. It was easy to set up and has been integral in growing our development pipelines.

Cons

Every once in a while we run into a feature we wish was available. Our team is able to quickly open a ticket with the technology team at Bloomerang and many times the feature can be added!

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Bloomerang was easier to use and we really liked to video tutorials available.

Response from Bloomerang

Replied May 2020

Thanks, Alicia! Keep those product/feature requests coming; we love it!

Kennedee from Center for Nursing

Bloomerang Review

I really like how we can manage all of our donor's from one platform and that it shows us our donor retention and attrition.

Pros

Integration and set up was seamless and it is very user friendly.

Cons

I don't like the new email templates. It is similar to MailChimp now whereas I liked the previous version better.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Ease of use, cost-prohibitive, and recommended by other nonprofits!!!

Response from Bloomerang

Replied May 2020

Thanks, Kennedee! We'll be releasing new email templates on an ongoing basis, so be on the lookout - hopefully you'll like them!

Lisa from The Zoo Society

Great donor management system

Great experience since deployment. Important to have a skilled conversion specialist when you convert. Great customer service.

Pros

It’s ease of use, focus on retention and stewardship, online chat feature and continuous learning through Bloomerang Academy.

Cons

I wish it could globally change/edit and the write off feature worked better.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Stability of the research behind the platform and overall cost.

Scott from Plant With Purpose

Great Donor Tracking Software

Pros

This software is very intuitive and easy to use. We switched from a more complicated product that staff wouldn't use consistently. Although it had more bells and whistles it was less useful because many staff members found it too difficult to enter and retrieve data.

Cons

There are some missing features that I would appreciate: - a way of giving an easily visible summary of the most important things about a donor - a virtual yellow sticky note to alert other users to important changes or updates - a way of filtering out the Mass Emails from the more important interactions - an easier way of getting to the earliest entries

Kerrie from Lead Virginia

Bloomerang for non profits

Having bloomerang has allowed us to be able to have all of our data in one place instead of having multiple spreadsheets in various places. It helps when finding information for potential donation requests and providing back up. I like that all employees can access information for all of our constituents in one place so we can tell who talked to who and when. It has helped to streamline many of our functions.

Pros

The ease of use of the software, getting to the necessary information is very easy. I also like the on-demand tutorials, this allows the user to reference something they don't know how to do and watch a live example. I also like the support chat feature, you never have to wait very long and they always assist with finding the best option.

Cons

The only feature that I struggle with is that you cannot use the event registration feature if there is no payment. I know they can fill out a form that we can add to our website, but there should be a way to allow the use of a registration form without payment.

Cost and ease of use

Carolyn from Raleigh Charter High School

Bloomerang Review

Exceptional. The best ever experience I have had with a database product vendor.

Pros

1. Ease of use: Bloomerang has been easy to learn even for staff members with limited data base experience. Data pages are large and easy to read.Information on the home page is helpful. It is easy to manage and change settings. 2. Customer support: If having difficulty with any aspect of Bloomerang, customer support is only minutes away. I have never had to wait for a response to a requst for a chat. Futhermore, every customer support person provided easy to understand answers, was always friendly and never made me feel unimportant. 3. Always making improvements. The Bloomerang team provides an easy way to make suggestions for future improvements and they are always adding improvements. Plus they communicate well about the improvements. 4. Cost. At the time of our purchase, Bloomerang was a mid-priced option. I do not know how the price compares to other options now but if it is still a mid-range or higher option, it is worth every penny. 5. Reporting is very flexible. 6. The ability to link people in the database and combine them into households. This is very important for a school environment.

Cons

I really do not have any dislikes of Bloomerang. The reason is because if I ever have difficulties, I contact them and receive immediate assistance.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Bloomerang's reviews, the flexibility of reporting, ease use and ease of reporting, customer support, and the linking feature. It was better suited to a school development office.

James from Desire Street Ministries

Fantastic simple donor mgt solution for small nonprofits

We have loved Bloomerang since our conversion 18 months ago. The fact that they continue to add features and request input from customers is great. Highly recommend the solution for other small organizations.

Pros

The ease of use and cloud-based platform make this solution the perfect donor management system for our small nonprofit ministry. We love the key features and the team is terrific.

Cons

Since it is a "newer" solution, it isn't as feature-rich as some long-time industry players, but that also means it isn't overly complex, which is a plus for us.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

We evaluated NXT also, but it is a hybrid solution, with some features in the cloud and others still reliant on the antiquated platform.

Lindsey from Simmons College of Kentucky

Best Bang for Your Buck

Bloomerang handles not only our team's contact management but is also the financial hub for all of our donations. It is now a tool essential for our department's analytics and fundraising team. We can't live without it!

Pros

I like that this software is extremely user-friendly. There is a multitude of tutorials, articles, and narratives of explanation of functions of this product. You will never question how to use this product!

Cons

I do wish this product had more add-on features such as texting, social media tracking, and a mobile app.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

After trying out several other products, the team and I decided on Bloomerang because it was the most user-friendly and was the most comprehensive for the small price.

Erika from We Care INC

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Great Product for a Small Business

We have had great success with Bloomerang. It has allowed us to become more independent in our finances and really get the information that we need, when we need it. This is invaluable to us, as we have a lot of volunteers that do things for us. We love our volunteers, but still have a business to run and when we have a need, we need to get it figured out quickly.

Pros

The software is easy to use, even for entry-level staff with little computer background. I have a few staff that use it to record donations, and it is very easy to show them how it works and what to do. It is also internet-based, so that we can access it from anywhere. It does everything that we need it to, though we are still learning some of the more challenging things like labels, year-end letters, e-mails, etc. The program keeps great records and we can print reports based on whether the information is a transaction or a person. We can also pull information from specific events, campaigns, etc to let us know how much we actually raised from that time period. That helps us budget for the next fiscal year and set goals for future campaigns. That is very helpful.

Cons

The software can get very complicated when you start getting into filters. I have yet to figure out how to to get the date the funds were given to us on their thank you letter, instead of the date that I am putting the funds in. Labels are very difficult and at times the reports don't include all the information that we are looking for, and I have to run multiple reports that we add together. I would also like to have a client database attached to it, so that we can run all our programs from one program.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Most user-friendly and does what we need it to at a base level.

Ailithir from Nickel Plate Arts

The best option for small nonprofits

The fact that we can manage our contact database, membership database, donations, and email marketing all in one place has been transformative for our organization. We were previously using Constant Contact, generic spreadsheets, and Razor's Edge separately to do these functions and we wasted a significant amount of time trying to force these tools to do what we needed and to play nicely together. Customer service and tech support have always been available for even the silliest question, and we've been able to get volunteers from teens to senior citizens confidently entering data for us in a very short amount of time. The set-up period was well-organized: looking back, I wish we had done a few things differently, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Pros

This software is easy to navigate and intuit. It is built with small businesses & nonprofits in mind, which is obvious in it's design. It is great to be able to track so much data about our constituents in one place, as well as to link that data with transactions, contact information, and even email communication. It's not perfect, but it's improving all the time and is so much better than the other many options we tried!

Cons

The email builder (event after the most recent update) is pretty primitive and does not provide all of design the flexibility we'd like - we're an arts organization and our visual branding is really important to us. We wish that there were ways to import formatted blocks from one template into another, to change the background color of a single block, or to manipulate the code more easily. I also wish that we had the options to separate types of transactions (we receive payments for art sales as well as donations) more easily so that constituents' purchases could be separated from their charitable giving.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

We liked the fact that it was a local company and that providing technical support was such a high priority.

Sara from Non-profit Organization

Bloomerang is AMAZING!

Our previous data was kept in an Access Data Base (It was HORRIBLE) Since switching to Bloomerang I've had no issues tracking donors, reaching out to first time donors and our repeat donors by having reports to run at my fingertips. It's simple to enter new information into and so incredibly user friendly for someone who didn't know much about data bases. Right from the beginning when I was researching software programs I found the sales people to be super friendly, non-pushy and incredibly helpful in building my presentation to the board. Hands down it was easiest software to navigate and can do so much more than I've even used it for.

Pros

User-friendly; Easy to learn; Awesome customer assistance when it's been needed; prompt responses; dedicated employees (my original sales rep (Gabriel) STILL emails me a couple times in a year to see how things are going and if there's anything I need... :) ) Very easy to get almost any type of a report I need-quickly and effortlessly. I would recommend it to any agency looking to purchase donor software (and have). Sales rep was NEVER pushy but extremely helpful in assisting me with "selling" this product to my Board of Directors. Love all the webinars and teaching tools in the library that I can use if I want.

Cons

I just don't have the time in my every day job to use this software to it's full potential. (That's on me, not the product though...) I wish it did grant tracking too.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Simple easy to use; overall general presentation of the product was impressive; felt like "family" or a team when working with people from Bloomerang.

Linda from C.A.R.E.

Bloomerang Shines In My Toolkit

The transition was very smooth and I was immediately able to use the features to do my work. Training guides were easy to understand; there was very little ramp-up time required. I was updating and adding constituent records in no time. Creating and printing acknowledgement letters, and sharing reports with my team was accomplished in short time with professional and informative results. I am a one-person shop and Bloomerang allows me to manage my time well and to deliver results.

Pros

Ease of adding and updating constituent records - very little time required to master these skills. Report writing simplified Email templates easy to use Retention report updates daily and I see it as soon as I sign on Flexibility for me to use anywhere

Cons

As a new user, edit options were not available for acknowledgment letters with out re-running letters. I am having a hard time identifying what I did not like as I really enjoy using Bloomerang. Input was given to tech support and software changes were made based on user expectations.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

The Bloomerang reps at an AFP conference were informative and helpful. The pricing was manageable for a smaller non-profit. The conversion process was not overly complicated and the technical support was easily available and understood. I have been using Bloomerang for 5 years and have never regretted this decision!

Lindsey from Simmons College of Kentucky

Best Product for the Price

Perfect. Bloomerang is exactly what my team was looking for and continues to grow and improve daily.

Pros

This software is extremely user-friendly. Everything is explained in pop-ups, videos, articles, and by the support team. The system could be picked up and used by anyone on our team.

Cons

I wish there were add ons like social media listening or text to give. I also wish there was an app. But these features would cost more, and the low cost is one of the best things about this product!

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

The cost was a major factor, but Bloomerang was also the perfect mix of user-friendliness while still being customizable.

Jacquelyn from Pro Bono Net, Inc.

Great for Small Teams!

Overall it's been mostly a positive experience. It is definitely an improvement over our old system (DonorPerfect) and I really enjoy using it.

Pros

The reporting abilities and interface is very easy to use even for beginners, very intuitive overall. The customer chat is also really helpful in figuring out the reporting so that makes it even easier. The only issue would be organizing existing reports as they really don't have a good way of doing that yet, but they are trying to improve it. The system itself is also easy to navigate and they are constantly trying to make it better. I also like that the email features are built in which makes it easier to report on results. I also like a lot of the free webinars.

Cons

While I like the system overall, it needs a bit more work on core functionality before they carried away on new features. Sometimes they make features that are very one-size-fits-all which often leaves us out. We know what's best for our org, so sometimes we have to opt out of something if they don't let us customize it enough to work for our donors.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

The ease of the reporting system

Stephanie from UCHS Foundation

Best Database for no-profit cultivation

Top notch from software, to pricing, to customer service. I've never seen a company so in tune to what their user wants and needs.

Pros

EVERYTHING!! I cannot say enough good about this product. The customer service is out of this world and I can ask a question via chat and have an answer immediately. THey are constantly gathering ideas for upgrades from users and rolling them out. It's extremely easy to use, compared to our old Raiser's Edge Software. The price is less than any other product we researched and they are always following up to ensure our happiness. The software caters to prospect cultivation and offers tons of preloaded reports or that. The ease of creating a report will leave you speechless.

Cons

I miss my batch feature, but they are working on creating that and should release it in the future. Otherwise, I haven't had any issues. I'm constantly referring and recommending this product and they reward you with each referral.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

It was close with NeonCRM, but we wanted the cultivation aspect. DonorPerfect didn't even compare

Kristina from KIPP Nashville

Great platform

We are a small shop and need to be able to minimize the time we spend managing the data side of the house so that we can be out meeting with our donors and focusing on donor acquisition. I feel like Bloomerang allows us to manage our data in a user friendly, functional way so that we can focus our time on raising money. My background is major gifts and I have limited technical skills with database management, but Bloomerang is so user friendly that I am able to pull reports, produce lists, upload data, process gifts and acknowledge gifts with ease so that I can focus on utilizing the MOVES management aspects of the database to move our donors through our donor pipeline.

Pros

I'm a development professional and my background is high level database work. In my new role I'm having to delve deeper into database management and I'm so happy we have Bloomerang. For the most part I can navigate and produce what I need on my own. However, when I get stuck the customer service of Bloomerang is beyond measure. They are always so friendly and kind, they listen to what I'm trying to do and understand my needs. They help walk me through how to do what I am trying to do, so I learn how to do it on my own moving forward. I honestly can't say enough about their customer support. They also have great (and very relevant) webinars.

Cons

The thing I struggle with the most is the usability of the letters and email functions. Formatting is tricky and there seems to be limitations to being able to move images around etc. It always ends up taking me longer to produce a letter or email than I anticipate because I have to play around with the formatting so much. This is the one part of the software that doesn't feel as user friendly.

Response from Bloomerang

Replied November 2019

Hi Kristina! I'm so happy you're happy with our Support team; they are the best! Check out this upgrade we made to our email editor - it now has drag-and-drop functionality: https://bloomerang.co/blog/feature-spotlight-an-upgrade-to-bloomerangs-built-in-email-marketing/

Jeff from Tunefoolery Music, Inc.

Industry: Music

Fantastic software for the nonprofit fundraiser!

Pros

The software is *very* easy to use. The pages load quickly. The search function is very efficient. The product is thoroughly and thoughtfully designed with the nonprofit fundraiser in mind to make most every situation easy to navigate (from, the basics to such things as tributes, or soft credits). Customizing it is very easy and intuitive. In addition to a computer, it may be used on a tablet (e.g. iPad), and a phone (e.g. iPhone) in most scenarios, although on a phone things can be a little awkward, but still usable. Importing a database of 800 accounts was seamless, after taking the time to prepare the import files properly (using the instructions provided on the web site). Coaching for this was available using email or live chat, although the instructions on the web site are so thorough, concise, and clear, that I did not need that. There is a vast library of instructional materials for assisting with most functions (articles and videos), and their customer service department is very easy to access and get clear instruction on things that need more in depth assistance. Regular instructional webinars are offered, which are very informative, and become videos within their vast instructional video library for any user's use.

Cons

I use the product at odd times, and live customer support is not available late at night, or on weekends or holidays.

Bryan from RepresentUs

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Fantastic support, easy to set up, easy to teach

Pros

Bloomerang is a breeze to navigate and search, with a detailed (but not overwhelming) summary view of each constituent, organization, and household in the database. When someone asks, "Who is this person?" I can tell them their top-line donation history, how we met, their capacity to give more, and who they're connected to, in less than a minute and with no effort at all. I can't overstate how intuitive and easy it is to get around, which is always helpful when training new users. After you build a few letter templates, gift processing and drafting acknowledgement letters become a joy. Integrations with Twitter, DonorSearch, and TrueGivers help us know more about our prospects and donors, and keep our address records up to date, automatically. But what I truly like most about Bloomerang is their support. They offer weekly training webinars not only about how to use the platform better, but also about topics in the larger nonprofit field. They offer a whole vault of resources for nonprofit organizations at any stage of growth. Every interaction I've had with their support staff -- by email, phone, live chat -- has been as thorough and helpful as I need it to be. Their "Features Portal" is always seeking feedback on what they could improve, and they're incredibly transparent about what they're working on next and when we might expect an update. In the year since we migrated to Bloomerang, it's been more than clear that they take this feedback loop seriously and listen well.

Cons

Bloomerang is easy to use -- at the cost of being fully customizable. I am not a programmer, so this exchange works out mostly great for me and my team, but I can imagine a programmer growing frustrated by the constraints in place to keep the platform easy to use. Take one example: you can add multiple addresses (email or physical) for each constituent, but there is no "note" field for each address. What if three email addresses go to the constituent's various assistants, and only one goes straight to the constituent? What if you mark an address "bad," but now need a place to say why? We've had to add custom fields (super easy to do, by the way) for "Additional Contact Information" so we can track these details, but those custom fields get buried at the bottom of a constituent's profile -- after the default profile information -- and there's no way to reorder the profile so that custom content appears more intuitively for how our organization uses the database. We've had to build in a few clumsy workarounds like this to solve problems that have a more straightforward solution, but those straightforward solutions then become suggestions in the features portal, to be solved if and when Bloomerang decides to. The reporting is a powerful tool, but the filter logic is unusual and has a few pitfalls ("raised" versus "revenue," for example) and a few hidden powers to know about ("has" and nested filters). Definitely take the time to dive deep into reporting resources.

Diane from Desire Street Ministries

Would recommend Bloomerang to ANYONE

We are in the midst of transitioning some of our processes so that we can really thrive, but I've been surprised that -- thanks to Bloomerang -- we have been able to survive with two less fundraising staff. (You might not want to tell your boss that part!) If you are working in the typical non-profit where you wear so many hats you can't count them all, I strongly recommend that you look into Bloomerang to help you be efficient and effective...and actually enjoy working with your fundraising system.

Pros

We're coming up on a year of using Bloomerang, and if it's possible, I love Bloomerang more every day. First, it's easy to use, and there are so many awesome "live" links and features--they've really designed the software to make fundraising work easier! It was designed by fundraising experts so "thinks" like a Development Director, and it helps our small staff spend our very limited time well. Second, reporting and query are a million times easier and more straightforward than with our previous software. We actually trust the results now! And my last "most favorite" thing about Bloomerang is the dashboard. I didn't think I would use it so much, but the fact that it has so many "live" links has made us watch our progress week-to-week, month-to-month and now, for the whole year. Wait! I have to include the AWESOME people (sales, conversion, support, developers, even) who have been there every step of the way. They're super knowledgeable, great communicators, and always friendly and helpful.

Cons

To get the quality that I want when I change out our receipt text monthly, I have to work in the html code behind the letter merge function. That takes a little longer and is more tedious than I'd like, but even there, the system makes it much more simple than receipting in our previous software. I should also add that I wish I knew Bloomerang as well as I do now when we started conversion to it. We would have made better choices, but again, I can see how our conversion manager really worked behind the scenes to save us a lot of headaches!

Bloomerang Review

I work with several clients that use Bloomerang for their database. This software is very easy to use and very user friendly. They are very responsive when you have questions or are having issues using their software. I would highly recommend this database software to any organization. I have worked with two other database soft wares and Boomerang has been the best so far.

Pros

I switched to Bloomerang about two years ago and this has been a great change. Their customer service and help center is very easy to navigate and a representative responds to your questions within seconds. From step by step instructions on how to pull reports, trouble shooting problems, helping with deleting and importing new constituents, any issues or questions you have they have answer for you within minutes. I love their feature of online webinars that introduce you to their new features and updates. These webinars are extremely helpful and give me the knowledge and information I need to train new employees on this software. Another pro is that they are open to suggestions and improvements. I have sent in a few changes that would make pulling reports easier and updates that will help decrease entering duplicate constituents and they have taken this feedback and acted on it. Several of their new features address the recommendations I have sent them.

Cons

What I like least about this software is that it does not auto populate the city and state when you put in the zip code for a constituents account. This is a feature that I was use to using with other software. This was a helpful feature to have that made data entry easier. I am also not in love with their acknowledgment generator because you can not edit individual letters once they are merged into the Bloomerang template. This is a feature I would like to see, because many of the clients I work with like to add a personal touch to each acknowledgment. We are not able to use Bloomerang for this process because to edit each individual letter we would have to generate acknowledgments one by one, not in bulk, which is very inconvenient and time consuming.

Annah Grace from Shepherd's Cove Hospice

Bloomerang is an inutitive and user-friendly game changer!

My organization was looking to make the switch from Excel spreadsheets to a true donor database. After I was immediately impressed with Bloomerang’s focus on donor retention and all the ways it could help my organization. Bloomerang has been a game changer for my team by providing key metrics in donor engagement, donor capacity and donor retention. It has helped keep us organized and get our fundraising on track. Bloomerang has been a game-changer for us. Not only do we use it for donors, we use it for all givers (which include our volunteers and other community resources). We have found a time-saver in this product! I love that it functions as a CRM tool in addition to the fundraising components. I love that you can customize it to make it work for you, no matter your industry or the complexity of your organization, and still it’s so user-friendly and intuitive! Not to mention, the incredible commitment to education! The free webinars and information are extremely on point and helpful. We are happy to highly recommend Bloomerang any time!

Pros

I love the donor-centered nature of Bloomerang and how it focuses on donor engagement. It is customizable, easy-to-use and super intuitive. I am able to easily egment communication to donors and reach them with specific messaging they need to hear. I also love that Bloomerang is constantly improving and has great support. I sincerely appreciate Bloomerang’s knowledgeable support staff and their willingness to take customer feedback seriously. The product team continually makes updates and improvements to Bloomerang based on our suggestions.

Cons

It doesn't yet interface with a mass texting or text-to-give software, but I have no doubt that it probably will soon. It is ALWAYS improving!

Nic from Northerly

For organizations small and large, Bloomerang is good fit.

Our organization moved from Raiser's Edge to Bloomerang just over a year ago. If you are familiar with Raiser's Edge, you likely understand that this is a massive transition to undertake both technologically and fundamentally--but I'm glad we did. We moved away from Raiser's Edge because we needed software that was powerful yet highly intuitive and didn't ship with a price tag that is difficult to justify. A year later, all of my team members are comfortable using the CRM and do so wherever they need to because it relies only on a web browser and internet connect -- no proprietary software or hardware required; no desk to which you're chained. There is a lot of power in Bloomerang at a price point that I guarantee will fit any budget, and the Bloomreang team does a great job of creating a product experience that actually has you celebrating the renewal date because you can cut the check knowing you made an excellent choice. From our first call with the sale's rep and through 12+ months of communication, I have enjoyed our experience with Bloomerang and look forward to many years as a client.

Pros

Greater than the Bloomerang CRM itself is the company's incredible support team that is not only quick to respond and meaningfully engage, but does so humanely. Too many vendors staff their support teams with specialists who are technically proficient, but lack the ability to translate their knowledge into kind and understanding support. Without this type of support, clients like me would be left frustrated, defeated and with unresolved issues. Boomerang recognizes that their software AND support team needs to be human, and they do a great job putting this understanding into practice. This understanding is well-implemented in the software itself which requires minimal training to comfortably navigate and use. I am able to train-in team members on Bloomerang's basic functions within 60 minutes, and thanks to the software's intuitive interface, team members aren't intimidated by what they see on-screen, allowing them to explore Bloomerang's functionality on their own. This ease-of-use rings true for me as an administrator, too. Because I can swiftly navigate through the CRM's features, I am more efficient with my time and able to focus on completing projects and tasks without needing to consult a encyclopedia-length user manual. Overall, I have found that Bloomerang's great product and excellent support has elevated our team's ability to do our jobs well. We're not bogged down in the software anymore. We're focused on fundraising.

Cons

There are a lot of strategic opportunities for the Bloomerang team to take advantage of as they continue to grow as a company, and an area where I'd like to see growth is with third-party integrations. There is currently a MailChimp integration in the pipeline, but I'd also love to see the door open to platform access through API integration services such as Zapier, which would allow customers like me to easily and securely connect Bloomerang to other key software in use within our department and organization.

Response from Bloomerang

Replied April 2020

Nic, you rock! Good news: we now have a Zapier and Mailchimp integration! https://bloomerang.co/features/integrations/

Lisa from SECU Family House of Winston-Salem

Great CRM

Bloomerang is ideal for agencies that are looking for a straightforward interface with the ability to customize fields and reports to your needs. Their social media integration, relationship tracking, and interaction fields takes our ability to get to know donors to another level. The import function, once you get the hang of it, is an incredible time saver. The ability to embed online donations via a custom Bloomerang form into our website has increased our online donations significantly. The program is continually improving and the customer service is excellent.

Pros

-User-friendly interface -Pretty easy for beginners to pick up -I love how you can make relationships between people (very nice to pull up a church and find out what volunteers and donors attend that church or go to that book club) and put people into households -The giving summary on the donor profile and dashboard is a nice visual. -I like the ability to create tasks (but it would be nice if they sent you email reminders for deadlines that are coming up) -The ability to create interactions field is very helpful to keep track of your communications, meetings, and other cultivation items that don’t necessarily include a donation. -Custom forms, including custom donation forms make it so easy to tailor fundraising campaigns. -Very customizable reports and fields (we now use Bloomerang instead of paying for Volgistics to track volunteer hours) -Using Bloomerang stripe with our online donation page is fantastic—Our online donations went WAY up from Paypal. -Great responsive technical support---we use just the online chats and emails and haven’t found a need for phone support. -Love that this database is always improving. Our last one did not have that capability, so I think Bloomerang has a lot of potential. -Also love that it’s cloud based---our last database was not. -You can link your Twitter feed to Bloom and it will automatically populate tweets that your constituents have tweeted, and it gets added to their engagement level. -I’m using the import function for more and more things…donation entry, mailing interactions, attendance sheets, volunteer hour tracking. Once you get the hang of it, it can save a lot of time if done correctly.

Cons

-Report formatting: All reports export to excel, but it only exports the table and information. It would be nice if it at least included a title (so you remember what you’re looking at), and maybe a time and date it was run. -Reporting: The new reporting function is very powerful and you can pull great information from it. I do have trouble with how Bloomerang collapses each query. With more complex reports it's hard for me to remember each part of my query when everything is collapsed into a small -Multiple tributes/notificants (for holidays): You can only put in one tribute per donation right now. -They need a much better way to input tributes and they also need a way to track and send acknowledgements to people: The honor/memorial function is currently the worst part of Bloomerang…it has a terrible, backwards work flow and a major oversight for nonprofits that process a lot of tribute gifts. Although you can add a “notificant” to a donation, there’s no way to actually send letters to notificants through the letter function. We’ve created a process to notify honorees and notificants manually that works great, but that’s something to keep in mind for folks that process a lot of honor/memorial gifts. -Special note if you go through the conversion process: When you add a new constituent, there’s a field that Bloomerang populates a date called “Created”. However, when your data is transferred, your original Created dates (if it was tracked in your previous system) will be lost and they’ll all be put into Bloomerang as the date the data was transferred. Bloomerang needs to keep the integrity of the original "Created" date of constituents OR create a custom field to place that information so you can run future reports. [There is no way to use the import feature for us to go back and add this information in, so volunteers are adding it for us]. -Task list: I’d like the task list to show more details to help you know what the task is, and send email reminders. Right now you make a task and then forget about it. -Letters need to export to word instead of a PDF. We have a pdf editing software here to get around that, but would like to keep our Family House fonts and make minor changes if needed, etc. -Need a way to catch duplicate records (either with a report, or alert if you're entering an address that's already in the system)

Response from Bloomerang

Replied July 2019

Hey Lisa, good news: you now have the ability to edit individual letters and manage duplicates! https://bloomerang.co/blog/design-segment-and-personalize-thank-you-letters-in-bloomerang/ https://bloomerang.co/blog/new-feature-real-time-duplicate-constituent-management/

Melinda from Eastmont Towers Foundation

Got out of hostage situation

I came into a new position and when the company mentioned their donor database it was like they were caught up in a hostage situation. They were stuck in an expensive contract with something they barely knew how to work with. A key component of my hire was that I knew how to work with this big, aggressive, expensive system. What a backward way to think! I had always heard of Bloomerang thanks to their presence at conferences, webinars and experts. To move to a simpler system meant more people could use this tool. So what do I like best? Bloomerang became an effective tool so that more than one person could use the system. Increased functionality meant we could accept online donations and training people became a cinch. Bloomerang is an excellent tool and I can't see any areas for improvement. One feature several users including myself have requested is currently in development. So Bloomerang listens to their users to offer solutions and keep the platform moving forward. They are patching the holes in the roof and doing the maintenance needed- not making you buy a whole new house to get upgrades.

Pros

I came into a new position and when the company mentioned their donor database it was like they were caught up in a hostage situation. They were stuck in an expensive contract with something they barely knew how to work with. A key component of my hire was that I knew how to work with this big, aggressive, expensive system. What a backward way to think! I had always heard of Bloomerang thanks to their presence at conferences, webinars, and experts. To move to a simpler system meant more people could use this tool. So what do I like best? Bloomerang became an effective tool so that more than one person could use the system. Increased functionality meant we could accept online donations and training people became a cinch.

Samantha from Bergen Volunteer Medical Initiative

Bloomerang to the rescue!

We are a small shop non-profit and because of Bloomerang's affordability, we have been able to transform our fundraising strategies in ways that we could have never imagined. With only three individuals working on the administrative side (Development Associate, Administrative Director, and President & CEO) and needing to raise just over a million dollars each year, we are dependent on the services that Bloomerang provides us. The customer service team is unbelievably amazing and each and every question is always answered in a timely manner. Each rep takes the time to explain WHY and HOW certain steps are important so that you actually can grow and learn. We just generated our year-end appeal mailing list and on our old reporting program, it took running several reports and then using formulas in excel to remove duplicate records. Countless staff hours used to go into this endeavor but because of Bloomerang and the Bloomerang team, we have our most carefully curated and hand-selected year-end mailing list that we have ever had (at a fraction of staff time nonetheless!) Our team chatted with the Bloomerang staff for 5-6 hours and they answered EVERY SINGLE question. We went from spending 30-40 hours creating this list to no more than 10. For this, we are incredibly grateful. The reporting features have enabled us to better direct our fundraising endeavors and we can send targeted mailings with tailored asks based off of future giving capacity. Our acknowledgement letters have an incredibly fast turnaround time and this simply was not feasible when we were still using our previous database. The ability to add interactions and notes to our donor profiles have helped us form a better understanding of our constituents and have provided us with the opportunity to develop deeper relationships with our donors. We also love that our online donation forms can sync with Bloomerang so that we are able to quickly detect whose given to us. The layout and setup of the system is so simple that we can easily have volunteers or interns hop onto the system to help us clean up our database or add constituents. Going back to our earlier point that we only have three people working on the administrative side, it is so important to us that our system is easy enough for other individuals to be able to work on. Bloomerang came to our rescue and I firmly believe it is one of the reasons that this has been our best year to date!

Pros

Ease of use, reporting features, capacity to add custom fields to constituent records, affordability, ease of generating acknowledgement letters, simple and easy--to-use email templates, online donation forms syncing with database

Cons

None (no really!)

Response from Bloomerang

Replied July 2019

Can't even begin to tell you how awesome it is to hear this, Samantha. Your experience is what we hope for and strive to provide to every single Bloomerang user!

RJ from Daystar U.S.

Easy, Simple Donor Management System with Great Features

We ended up choosing a different system because it had more features and we liked the feel of using it better. However, I spent considerable time demoing and trialing Bloomerang and had regular, relevant communication with my sales person. He was amazing! By his actions and intentionality alone I could tell that if we went with Bloomerang, we would have had outstanding customer service. This company contributes a great deal to the non-profit and fund-raising industry in all its offerings (blog, etc.) and in how it partners with industry experts. Bloomerang wasn't exactly right for us, but I know that if we would have encountered this software a little earlier in our organization's history, we would have gone with it and loved it no doubt.

Pros

The Bloomerang system makes it very easy to segment supporters: - It has unlimited custom field opportunities, which you can easily configure to look nice on a supporter's record without looking cluttered - It has an excellent "Engagement Meter" that rates by affinity and interactions with your org - All of those options are easily reportable, and reports are intuitive to run It also helps organizations keep donor retention as one of the highest priorities through its Donor Retention meter on the main home page. Supporter records are easy to view and have a great timeline showing gifts, interactions, and some automatic highlights (like second gift, lapsed, etc.).

Cons

Its user interface feels a little outdated compared to some other CRMs out there. It did not have a reminders feature to remind fundraisers of tasks (though it did have a list of current and past due tasks). The email and letter tools felt limited in the formatting options. It is very simple to use, and when coming from a very robust system, it felt somewhat limiting.

Response from Bloomerang

Replied November 2019

Hi RJ! Thanks so much for your kind words. Hopefully our paths will cross again someday! You might be enticed by some upgrades we've made to our email system: https://bloomerang.co/blog/feature-spotlight-an-upgrade-to-bloomerangs-built-in-email-marketing/

Karl from Espanola Humane

Animal Shelter Review

I like the product over all and as any other software out there if your data is not clean then your results will not be either.

Pros

I like the engagement and generosity features. We use them as donors we focus on and have a plan for.

Cons

In the search button if I am looking for Pam Dunn and she is listed as Pamela Dunn it does not come up first in my search. Also if I am looking for Don Smith and there are two Don Smiths in the in database if does not pull up the one that has the most recent activity first.

Easier to transfer data.

Erin from GAI

Great tool for our Advancement team!

Overall, our organization has been very happy with our switch to Bloomerang over 2 years ago. It has allowed us to better track donor cultivation and retention efforts, which means we are engaging with our donors more effectively. It's a great tool for our team as we develop our annual fundraising plans and allows all team members to easily check in throughout the year to see how we are progressing toward our goals.

Pros

The database is easy to use and customize. The dashboard provides a great snapshot of how our organization is doing on any given day in terms of donor retention and money raised for any active campaigns. Designing custom reports is straightforward with features like drag and drop columns, and the reports run to screen, so it's easy to tell if you have all the relevant information before exporting data. New features are regularly added, including features based on user-requests. One of my favorite features is the live chat support. I'm able to connect right away with someone on the support team, they are knowledgeable about the systems and are able to work with me to effectively solve problems, suggest relevant tips or work-arounds, and are pleasant to deal with.

Cons

Currently, in the event registration piece of the database, people can purchase multiple tickets in a single transaction, but only of the same ticket type. I'm hopeful that soon constituents will be able to select more than one ticket type in the same transaction (adult & child, member & non-member, etc.).

Patrick from PB&J marComm

Donor relations decoded

Bloomerang has many short videos to understand and use their product. When those don't work, the online chat is very helpful and can fill in the gaps.

Pros

Bloomerang is an amazing software that is focused on the organization's relationship with the donor. It allows you to grant access to as many people as needed and involved in fundraising. It encourages you to document relationships between people and organizations. It is focused on donor retention.

Cons

It does what it does well, but definitely will need support systems for event management and peer to peer. It integrates well with some 3rd parties (qgiv and eventbrite), but it would be nice if they gave a discount or were and internal link as a part of bloomerang.

Ease of use. Cognition

Response from Bloomerang

Replied April 2020

Thanks, Patrick! We've recently beefed up our event management and peer to peer integrations: https://bloomerang.co/features/integrations/

Melissa from Kentucky Refugee Ministries

Highly Recommend Bloomerang

Pros

Easy-to-use interface, tons of instructional webinars and training, data entry is streamlined and efficient, reports are user-friendly, web-based system makes it easy to log in anytime.

Cons

I wish that duplicate constituents and repetitive data were easier to spot and clean up.

Ruth Ann from Oasis Sanctuary Foundation, Ltd

High Quality CRM Product

While I am not part of our Fundraising Team but rather am in charge of sending receipts and managing donor satisfaction, I believe that our fundraising efforts have benefited from the options such as "Campaigns" and "Appeals" in ability to build reports that are meaningful to the Fundraising Team.

Pros

Boomerang's interface is easy to use and intuitive. I feel confident in using the software for these reasons: 1. I can find my donor's information easily and change (update, merge or delete) information with confidence. 2. I can enter data into the program easily so that the new data is available for the reports I need. 3. I can enter and track constituent donations easily and with confidence. 4. I have transaction history going back to the beginning of our company record keeping because we chose to import all transactions from our previous bookkeeping (not CRM) program. 5. Ability to add notes and interactions helps me establish an easier rapport with my donors when I talk to them by phone or write to them in an email. 6. We made and make use of custom fields to tailor the Bloomerang program to the needs of our animal welfare nonprofit organization.

Cons

1. I wish I could email or print receipts for donors in a single step instead of the 4 to 6 steps it takes to send or print a receipt a second time. While I understand the process, I feel I waste a lot of time working towards sending duplicate receipts to my donors. It is frustrating. 2. I am frustrated that Bloomerang labels so many valid constituent emails as bad. I am constantly trying to validate an email address to the satisfaction of the Bloomerang support team. It is a waste of my time and frustrating to me.

Beverly from Interfaith Dental

Bravo!

We are able to pull data from our donor base easily and if we ever need help, someone is always there to help online. We don't have a person dedicated to working the database full time, so we needed something that is easy for everyone to understand. Bloomerang fits that bill for us.

Pros

For our team, it's the built in analytics, the online support, webinars, and the knowledge that Bloomerang is actually listening to its clients. When enough of us need something, Bloomerang figures it out. If they can't make it happen, they are honest about it.

Cons

There are always features that we would like to see added, but there doesn't seem to be a way (yet) to customize some features just for us (Example-pop up windows). We use it for tracking revenue/relationships with donors as well as volunteers. We've had to be very creative about the volunteer side, but after 4 years, we're very close to making it work. It has taken a long time to get there.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. I had a conversation with him at an AFP conference and he shared his idea about Bloomerang and how it would be about donor retention and support. I also saw the fundraising experts he had on board and knew if they were in, I would be happier over the product we were using at the time. It was the right decision for our agency.

Miguel from Plant With Purpose

Industry: Environmental Services

Simple and easy to use!

We love this system mainly because of its simplicity, ease of use, and user friendly.

Pros

What my team and I like the most about Bloomerang is: 1. The ease of use and customization of fields 2. Simplicity in running customized reports 3. EXCELLENT customer service 4. Gets the job done!:) Not too complex.

Cons

1. Could use a look refresh, the system looks a little outdated as far as style 2. The reporting section could be better organized. Many at my work use this system and all of our reports show in one long list. Would be nice if we could only see our reports or if the reports were broken down by departments.

Jenny from Jumping Mouse Children's Center

Industry: Mental Health Care

Bloomerang is easy to use

It is really easy to see how engaged individual donors are and their history which improves our ability to follow up and retain donors.

Pros

I love Bloomerang's interface and ease of use; its emphasis on donor retention which is front and center on the dashboard each time I open Bloomerang; and the continual upgrades to improve the software. I like that I can send mass emails through Bloomerang rather than using an outside platform and that it integrates with several other platforms (including qgiv).

Cons

I still use other platforms for my events and donation page, since I don't find Bloomerang's customizable enough to do what I want to do (and look the way I want it to). I also wish I could export my mail merge letters into word for customization as I could in my old donation software.

August 2016

Ben from Next Generation Men

August 2016

Bloomerang - Easy to Use and Amazing Customer Support

My organization started using Bloomerang in 2015 when we wanted to switch to a donor management platform where our donation form could be embedded into our actual website (instead of having our donor be taken to an external site). I was immediately impressed with the customer support and ease of setting up my account and importing my existing/past donations. I continue to be impressed with Bloomerang and they address all of our needs as a small nonprofit organization.

Pros

Not only is Bloomerang easy to use and navigate, but their customer service is amazing. They are always extremely quick to respond to requests and if I ever have an issue, it is always resolved right away. It allows me to not be worried if something looks off or if an issue arises, because I know I can expect a response almost immediately. I also like the ease of running reports and the variability of the possible reports. I enjoy that I can filter out many details, whether it's regarding donor type or transaction type.

Cons

There are a few small kinks that need to be resolved, but I know the Bloomerang team is aware of them. For example, there is an issue when trying to track "Tribute" donations through the platform, as well as being able to review/resend automatic acknowledgment letters to donors. Lastly, I would like to be able to track recurring donations as pledges, but this is not possible with the current platform. All of these are small things compared to the positives that Bloomerang provides.

Tiffany from Southern Oregon Aspire

Take it anywhere!

Overall it has been wonderful to track donor and volunteer information. The email templates are easy to use and scheduling out when I want the email to be sent saves me a ton of time, I love that feature! This system helped us capture constituents that wanted to learn more about us by integrating our newsletter signup on our website to be automatically inputted in our database. Talk about another time saver!

Pros

It's user friendly. The support team at Bloomerang are amazing. They help right away with any information you need on how to add something, customize something, etc... I love the webinars they host almost weekly, even if I don't attend them live. I can go back and listen to them. Lots of great information and presenters are wonderful and even send you follow up information. I love how I can access the database from my phone and still have access to all my donor information while I'm out of the office.

Cons

Some of the event features are limited. For instance we had to partner with another company for event registration forms because Bloomerang didn't have the function to purchase multiple packages at once. The support team however, did recommend a company that they are integrated with to help us out. I did hear a rumor that Bloomerang will be changing the event forms feature, so hopefully in the future we can do everything through them.

Jill from Wesley Foundation

Great support help

We wanted an easy to use and affordable donor management system and Bloomerang has definitely provided that.

Pros

Economical. Great support. Easy to create reports. Perfect tools for record-keeping of donations as well as interactions with constituents.

Cons

I'm pretty happy with most everything. Some of the challenges are based on my own limitations. There are so many tools within Bloomerang that I have yet to use or explore.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

I felt like there were more features that I would use on Bloomerang. I spoke to several current users of both products and liked the feedback I received on Bloomerang users.

Jennifer from Relief Nursery

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Bloomerang -- just do it!

Great. Really great customer service. I appreciate that they ask our input for features we'd like to see. I like that I can see what features they are developing i.e., mobile app.

Pros

Reporting tools. It's fun to play around.

Cons

Email editor isn't as robust as we'd like.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Easy to learn. We have a number of people who use the program so they need to be able to jump in and have it be useful. It's pretty intuitive.

Response from Bloomerang

Replied November 2019

Thanks for your kind words, Jennifer! Check out our new email editor - we added some robustness! https://bloomerang.co/blog/feature-spotlight-an-upgrade-to-bloomerangs-built-in-email-marketing/

Brenda from Little Rock Wind Symphony

Industry: Performing Arts

Great Product, Great Price, Excellent Customer Support

This application replaced dozens of spreadsheets I used to use. I had looked other products that were less robust and way more expensive. The company offers lots of tutorials, videos, webinars and classes that are very helpful. I am happy with this app and anxiously await a better email module. I just wish I could better engage my board to use it for donor interaction logging.

Pros

Bloomerang is a very well thought out application. The database and the reports generated from team or in valuable to our organization. The custom reporting is very easy for someone with an IT background searches me, but should be fairly easy for anyone to use. It has been a lifesaver for my organization to have this product which was at a very affordable price. It is continually improved with new features, many at user request. Customer support is top notch.

Cons

The email module does not create responsive emails. This feature is seriously lacking in modern usability. I tend to use email via another email client and take advantage of the BCC feature, which copies the email to Bloomerang and attaches it to the constituent’s record.

Response from Bloomerang

Replied November 2019

Hi Brenda! Glad you were able to ditch all those spreadsheets. Check out our new email tool, which includes responsive designs and an easier-to-use editor: https://bloomerang.co/blog/feature-spotlight-an-upgrade-to-bloomerangs-built-in-email-marketing/

Paige from Arise Delaware

Perfect for donor management

I still value this software for the seamless tracking it does of donors and donations. It has many useful features that help with development in terms of finances. I'd like to see more features for help with program and volunteer development specifically but that doesn't minimize the usefulness of what it offers. I highly recommend Bloomerang for nonprofits!

Pros

Online donation forms automatically create profiles in your Bloomerang and those forms can be on our website, our Facebook page, etc. Easy to create web forms for all kinds of uses including donations for specific long-term funds or short-term campaigns. Nice reporting to see what's coming in and the ability to acknowledge donations right from the system with emails or letters. Also like the social media tracking to see who's talking about us and this also feeds into the donor "temperature" which is a measure of donor engagement. You can really identify your true champions! Still learning the system so I'm sure we'll continue to discover useful features. Overall, this is an excellent resource for donor tracking and management.

Cons

If a donor is already in the system and enters a one-time contribution via web form that uses different info it will create a separate record which cannot be deleted without calling customer service for back office assistance. I was told it just has to match 2-3 fields but it even created a separate record for me when I entered a web donation using my first name instead of my middle name (what was already in the system) and all other info the same. Also, I wish there was a way to track non-donors well, i.e. volunteers and those we serve. Tried using a web form for a student application but it then required those fields for the entry of all constituents (not just those entered via the form) so we scrapped that plan. Would be nice to be able to track volunteer hours and which programs participants attend then be able to look up attendance rolls via a search on the program name.

john scott from friends of hamilton county parks

Great software for non-profits

I am managing a donor database and it has been great in being able to segregate donors and the donor search giving option has been very useful

Pros

The software is intuitive, easy to use, rigorous, and easy to modify to fit the needs of individual organizations. The tech support is some of the best i have encountered. i particularly like the live on-line support which has always be nearly immediate in response and you get a written transcript of the session to save for next time you forget what you are supposed to do.

Cons

Small things. you don't have an option of not having a year on birthday and often you only know the month and date, so i have a lot of people born in 2019.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Bloomerang was easier to use and i liked the fact that the corporate offices were a short drive away.

Response from Bloomerang

Replied June 2020

Thanks for all the compliments, John! I am going to have a support rep reach out; the format for birthday fields is indeed mm/dd/yyyy - we'll have to look at your report filters.

September 2016

Julie from Rialto Theatre Foundation

Industry: Fine Art

September 2016

Good, simple database

Pros

Bloomerang is a simple to use database that focuses on fundraising and donor management basics. The user interface is clean and easy to understand. Being able to set up an unlimited number of our own custom fields is great and adding donations in is easy. The ability to design, filter, send, and track emails to constituents from within the system is good. Of all the systems I got trial logins for when researching, it was the only one that was easy to get into and play around with intuitively without watching a bunch of training videos. The online chat support is always fast, responsive, and helpful, and there's the ability to suggest system features and see what features are in the works. It also has a good social media integration, especially with Twitter.

Cons

There are some basic functions that the program doesn't have, such as the ability to export acknowledgment letters to Word (you can export to xls or PDf), ability to search for the primary contact of an organization record by name, ability to add documents or other attachments to a constituent record, and notification when a credit card transaction fails. The design features for online donation pages are also somewhat limited so you can't create highly customized giving pages.

Response from Steven

Replied November 2016

Hey Julie, thanks for your feedback! I'm glad that you are enjoying the interface and making use of our support team. Exporting letters as a Word Doc or another type of editable file was something we grappled early on, and ultimately decided that the potential benefits don't outweigh the drawbacks. For example, if you made any changes outside of Bloomerang, the letter saved in Bloomerang wouldn't reflect what you actually sent to the donor. To add some personalization, we recommend instead that you export and print the letter in Bloomerang, and then add handwritten notes before sending. You now have the ability to edit individual letters! No need to export to Word :) https://bloomerang.co/blog/design-segment-and-personalize-thank-you-letters-in-bloomerang/

Danelle from Blue Earth County Historical Society

Industry: Museums and Institutions

5 years of Bloomerang and counting

When we started using Bloomerang about 5 years ago, we were coming from an older system. The user-friendly aspect, custom fields, email tool, online giving tools, report building, etc. were all features that were appealing to us and we continue to use and value all these features and more.

Pros

Bloomerang is very user-friendly. The reporting tool is great and can basically create anything we need. And if we can't quite get the report right, their support is great to help. We use their email tool for mass emails, create thank you letters, accept online donations, accept event registrations, etc. Great to have all of these features in the same place.

Cons

No major complaints. Just a few small things here or there, but there have been a number of great changes and additions in the time we have used Bloomerang, so I'm holding out hope for things to come! One thing I would like to see is a better way to handle memberships. We have both members and donors who support us. We have created custom fields to record member dates, etc, but would love to have expiration dates that automatically update (for example) instead of having to do it manually; or be able to easily sort a constituent's timeline to see when member dues were paid.