Browse Directus Reviews

Jens from Bitrock Digital Partners

Best headless CMS on the market - powered by Open-Source

I loved the previous versions, but especially the new V9 really excites me. I never experienced any smoother experience setting up any content management system (including the old guys like WordPress or Drupal). From a product and/or IT lead perspective, it brings you so much power for so many use cases - without a huge price tag or complexity.

Pros

It is free, if you are able to host it yourself! It is completely white-label, which makes your employees love it even more. It is perfectly customizable. In case you miss something, you can easily jump on the train and add it for your project - or all Directus users (contributing in the open-source community). If you want it fully managed, there is a cloud-version at a fair price (cheap compared to others) too.

Cons

Potential con for some people: The PHP version got more or less deprecated. There might be one version again, but focus is definitely with NodeJS. If you want to host it yourself and are not able to run Node or Docker, you might run into problems. File management could be better and more customizable (in terms of conditional rules how uploads get processed per collection and field).

Reasons for Choosing Directus

One though, of course, always is, if those guys are able to maintain their speed and perfection. Especially compared to better funded companies. The answer lies within the dynamic open-source approach. It enables the tool to benefit from the community to keep up with things like Contentful. At the same time, it is also some kind of guarantee for the future. While every company might get closed down in the future, open-source lives on. Picturing the worst case, you could still take over and manage it all by yourself. Other tools simply go offline and bring you headaches. This, combined with the awesome feature set (see pros) and the beautiful UI, puts it above the mentioned Contentful, but also tools like Strapi or GraphCMS. I skip the part, why headless "kills" full CMS like WordPress ;). And, of course, this kind of tool provides you with more flexibility than complete no-code-solutions like Webflow or Squarespace (but this would be an unfair comparison anyway).

Alan from Slations

One of the greats

Pros

I'll start with the flexibility, you can create and edit every table in real-time and in an easy-to-use GUI. Best part is this can be clamped onto any SQL database and it will just start working then you can setup the table existing into the software.

Cons

Well I mean it's not quite and intuitive as something like WordPress but point people in the correct direction and they soon get the hang of it

Reasons for Choosing Directus

Simple to use compared to other platforms and the awesome community support from them!

Reasons for Switching to Directus

Limitations in WordPress and customisability you just can't, won't, and will never get with that platform. (Not to mention being slow and sluggish)

Davide from we-go

Fantastic concept, medium user experience

Until now the experience is good: I like the idea and it works for the project that we started with Directus. We still need to resolve some issues, like how to properly manage pages and SEO data or how to overcome the lack of the repeater field, but it's working well. The experience with the support was fantastic. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was kind and friendly, in spite of my incompetence. I appreciate the enthusiasm and the open source spirit. Sometimes I experienced some limits for the reasons mentioned early, but I'm happy.

Pros

I love the concept behind Directus: the idea to freely create a database in an easy way, organizing the content as you need or as you imagined it. I come from Kirby CM and Craft CMS and doing websites in which the custom design is the key, it's important to us to shape our content as we want. It's easy to install, the Slack support is friendly and helpful. In the search for the perfect headless CMS solution, it was my choice, also because it's open source and at the moment the pricing of others options is over budget for our clients. We were ok paying a fee for a license, but not a perpetual subscription. Moreover, a key point in the decision to adopt it is the self-hosted solution: we wanted to avoid every possible lock-in. Finally, the stack: working in a communication agency, we are not software engineers: PHP + Vue.js it's a perfect combination. React and node.js onthe server was a switch too big to take another leap.

Cons

Above all, the bugs: being open source and free it's normal, but it is frustrating in the measure we decided to use it for clients works. Second: the lack of documentation for the interfaces or for the detailed use of the JS SDK. Moreover, sometimes I felt overwhelmed by the technical details of the interface. I don't have competence in relational databases and to me too much things doesn't have a meaning. But I'm mainly a front-end developer that try to be "independent", so I think that it's normal. Finally: the lack of a good repeater. At the moment it's impossible to use a file field in it, or to repeat a group of field. For us it's almost a strict requirement for clients projects.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

For the pricing, but above all for the requirement of our managers to have the code and the data on our servers. In addition to that, the idea to have the opportunity to customize it was very important. But please, takes Dato CMS as a reference: it has everything a digital agency could dream!

Reasons for Switching to Directus

I wanted a database to manage complex dataset, like products catalogues and a product in which the headless concept was at the basis. Moreover, Kirby comes with the concept of "pages", that it's perfect for hierarchical content but a nightmare in some situations.

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hi Davide, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Our open-source platform is far more stable now, thanks to the full API rewrite, and also includes the Repeater interface you were looking for. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Ignacio from CoKaiDo

Best headless open source CMS

We're creating a completely custom web in which you can reuse components.

Pros

It's community support, open-source, and features. Nothing to envy from really expensive proprietary CMS.

Cons

Breaking changes in updates, lack of Many to Any support on App, failures updating large datasets with relationships, lack of a tool to perform migrations between environments and long URLs to consume. All of which are getting addressed at the moment :)

Reasons for Switching to Directus

We had proposed Strapi to implement the solution because on paper was better, but once we started using it we got into many issues and features that at the moment weren't there. We tried directus and, even though at the moment was also lacking some things, got convinced quickly.

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hi Ignacio, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. We've specifically addressed many of your Cons, including the very powerful many-to-any relationship type! Our open-source platform is also far more stable now, thanks to the full refactor. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Great headless CMS

Pros

You can manage your collections and content through good looking administration, you create (even complex) relationships between the collections, there is a support to manage localized content. Your content is served through REST or GraphQL API that is simple learn. Good support of roles and permissions who can consume the content through API. There is a good extensions support for both APP and API. Easy deployement with Docker.

Cons

Performance of API calls for more complex data (relation) can be a bit sluggish, but it can be solved by setting up cache. There are bugs that take a long time to solve. GraphQL API has still lacking features compared to REST API.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

They don't have localization support for content

Reasons for Switching to Directus

We needed to have headless CMS that could provide content through API

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hello, and thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Some of the biggest improvements have been in the API's performance (even without the new Redis/Memory cache support). Our GraphQL API is also a lot further along now compared to the REST API. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Alejandro from CIBNOR

Excellent headless CMS

I have a very difficult multi-platform usecase involving languages from R/Python, reproducible data slicing, on the fly dataset creation all the way to front-end react, pregenerated app (gatsby) in a single build command. Directus is my sole source of truth, what I use to back this whole thing. This allows me to use the same translations and metadata for everything no matter if I am in R or Javascript consuming graphql, either on production client code or in static pregeneration stage in gatsby. There are other headless apis that can do this, but I cannot self host them and I need to be able to very quickly generate large datasets on the database as I research and tear them down in the same base as the CMS for the app. That is, I need this to run on my computer first. This is where directus knocked it out of the park for me. Also, docker setup is touch and go. Nothing needed. It is just great.

Pros

This is Free and Open Source Software at its best. Directus has a great, well tended community, excellent developers, many options and lots of friendly answers to real questions. I have not found any other headless API I can self host in amazon or wherever I want. This makes for a local development cycle, short time to market, very easy to prototybe setup for example for react/gatsby apps.

Cons

The app where you manage the database still needs a bit more documentation. It does not lack features, but some features lack propper documentation. I hope to help on this in the future!

Reasons for Choosing Directus

I tested all headless cms apis out there (cant remember the names of all of them). None of them fit my use case.

Eloy from Information Technology & Services

Awesome piece of software

I've had to learn express and knex to implement custom endpoints and I really enjoy doing things this way. I also started using it's javascript sdk client and it's simply awesome!

Pros

It's really easy to setup and encourages to learn new technologies

Cons

It's not really done yet, I mean Directus is switching from PHP to Nodejs and this is a long proccess that is still happening and the documentation is not complete yet.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

The price, the options and the possibility to run it locally

Limit of roles available

Carlos from Intact

Best Headless CMS we experienced

We were in search of a very customizable CMS for our project, but we didn't found anything in the market proper for our needs until someone recommended us Directus. We instantly jumped with this CMS. The overall App and API are outstanding and highly flexible for all kind of project.

Pros

The interface is so user friendly and has a solid and highly customizable backend for all the needs.

Cons

The new version is fully functionnal but still has some issues that can appear during the implementation. But the team is phenomenal and is pushing updates and fixes all the time and have a helpful community to guide you to use properly the platform.

Reasons for Switching to Directus

With Strapi we encountered many issues and missing features that would be essential for ouir project so we instantly switched with Directus. Directus it's stronger and a lot more flexible on the backend.

Alexis from Idweaver

Best Headless CMS

I can start a new website, and handle it’s content management in a matter of days.

Pros

Directus allows me to do everything I want with a simple and rich UI.

Cons

For the moment there is no way to have automatic migration when you modify the database from the app, but I heard it’s coming soon.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

Strapi didn’t have the feature I was looking for: true ACL permissions and i18n.

Reasons for Switching to Directus

Directus is way more modular and in constant evolution.

Jimmy from Computer Software

Awesome Project

Pros

With Directus I could built an MVP from zero to hero in a few days. It's user interface is pretty friendly and it's community on discord is amazing

Cons

Integrations with existing projects and services like Stripe, Google Drive, etc.

Reasons for Switching to Directus

Strapi is awesome but too focused on being a headless CMS, Directus is more agnostic and data driven.

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Thank you for the review, Jimmy, I really appreciate you taking the time to rate our software! I see you're looking for a few more integrations... anything in the Core codebase that's pushing you to the 4/5 star rating for overall quality? I'd love to make sure our developers are focused on the most important things (for devs like you) so we can ensure our platform is earning those top ratings!

Brian from Bose

Industry: Consumer Electronics

Great product that is still young

We had departments using many different CMS's. They ranged from extremely expensive to open source projects. While Directus is not perfect, it has proven to be better than all the others. We have actively tried to improve the product, and we find that the others in the community do the same. Also, and this is a HUGE value, the response to questions and issues within the Directus-Slack channel is amazing! Actually, the communication and support from this organization is impeccable. Friendly, helpful, understanding. Just out of a sense of loyalty to such good people, I will want to stay with them.

Pros

The interface is very friendly, and as the product matures, the installation is becoming better.

Cons

This is not an enterprise-level application, yet. It has a number of tiny gotchas that one has to learn about. One can still do most anything they desire.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

Regarding Adobe -- a CMS should have a small learning curve. With better documentation, Directus will be a product that is quickly adapted to any organization. Regarding Umbraco -- the decision here is hard to explain. We just found Directus to work better for us in more situations.

Reasons for Switching to Directus

We also switched from Adobe, but I wasn't able to enter that. We switched off this product for it was really expensive with a really, really, really steep learning curve. We switched off of Umbraco due to design and small issues. Umbraco is actually a pretty decent product.

Rémi from Coraye

Industry: Printing

Directus, your friend and your first backend services (headless cms)

We build our api with the minimum technical ressources. Since I'm the only dev, it allow me to stay focus on the main product. A must have for starting projects.

Pros

Directus will allow you to create instant database with all security layers you may need for an api (auth, ...)

Cons

The data ownership by users is quite a pain (e.g : You want to create an item through a webhook and attribute it to a specific user) and user registration through api require some custom code to follow your expectation.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

Directus is open source, can be hosted and works well with Docker.

Reasons for Switching to Directus

Stronger than the previous one with more functionalities

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hi Remi, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Our open-source platform is far more stable now, thanks to the full refactor. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Goran from Retail Industry

One of the best open source Headless CMS alternatives

We use directus for rapid database management, and for API endpoints to the data. We are customizing the solution to better fit with our needs and it works great.

Pros

1. Documentation has been on point. 3. The easie in which it is to get started is excellent with multiple alternatives like docker, 1click digital ocean setup etc. 2. I love the "project" aspect that allows you to connect multiple database instances within the same Admin App. 3.The Admin App is written made in VUE . Its super easy to pull it locally and connect it to your existing api if you need to fiddle with it. It also has a very modern design which is appealing. 4. Easy to add custom extensions in both the API and Admin App. 5. Good code design. For example the Admin App makes use of the same API endpoints intended external use. Anything the Admin App can do you can replicate with your own API calls. I use this as a cheat sheet when i'm too lazy to look at the documentation. 6. New release come regularly, and it's really getting better all the time. 7. Can import databases that were not created within the CMS

Cons

1. Support for only mysql. MongoDB support would have been magical. I have seen it in the roadmap, so let's hope it comes soon. 2. API response time. It's not bad, but its not great. I know they are working on it.

It's the better product.

Reasons for Switching to Directus

1. More engaged community 2. Actively developed 3. Modern Admin App 4. API and APP seperation

Riley from Freelance

Directus: A Rapid, Hands-Off-Your-Data, Headless CMS

Directus is fantastic for both building out databases without the tedious headaches of old, and for allowing end-users to manage and post content. There's a field for pretty much every scenario, and if there isn't one, the platform is built in a way that's extensible. The bonus on top of everything is the built-in API, which allows me to get projects up and running and cut out basically two thirds of application development. With Directus, I only have to worry about building the front-end—it's nice to know that I have the backing of an entire system as the other half of my team!

Pros

I am impressed with the continuous development of Directus and the commitment to deploying frequently. There are always new features and fixes and the team releases at a pace that would make a commercial team sweat, let alone an Open-Source team.

Cons

The only challenge I faced while setting up Directus was a little confusion about the config of setting up multiple projects on the same install. However, the documentation was thorough and the Slack talkative, and I was soon up and running with a shared instance that eliminates the maintenance of multiple instances.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

Directus was appealing because it allows me to use the data structures and architectures for my projects that I have planned out, rather than forcing me to conform to a system or framework's way of doing things. After getting things set up, the speed for iterating is unparalleled, and I can make changes to the underlying UML and the admin panel and the API within seconds.

John from Appalachian Mountain Club

Industry: Recreational Facilities and Services

Beginning with Directus

Pros

The best thing about Directus is the community. It is great to be able to ask questions and get a real person to walk you through a solution.

Cons

Difficult to get started. Documentation is a bit lacking / confusing.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

Community. Features. Development frequency. Tech stack.

Reasons for Switching to Directus

Wanted to go in the headless CMS direction to better make use of our content.

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hi John, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. I know you found it hard to get started with Directus, but we now have several guides for installation, and this quickstart guide: https://docs.directus.io/getting-started/quickstart/ Our open-source platform is far more stable now, thanks to the full refactor. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Joseph from Joseph Geis Productions

A Powerful Open-Source Headless-CMS

I transitioned from Ghost for my website and it makes it super easy to have a decoupled & flexible CMS + website. The non-fixed data model system also lets me add custom features & models to my site.

Pros

I love that it is open source and the new version 9 is rewritten in JavaScript instead of PHP, so it is super fast and has modern features, like a GraphQL API. It is also versatile and open-source, making it possible to write extensions. The maintainers are super active on their Discord community and are super friendly.

Cons

Version 9 is still in pre-release (as of writing), so some parts are still a work-in-progress, but is otherwise pretty stable for pre-release.

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Thank you for the review, Joseph, we truly appreciate this feedback. I know Directus 9 is still in pre-release (RC), but is there anything specific you've noticed that we can improve/add/fix to earn a full five star rating? We value the insight each user/contributor offers... so I just wanted check!

Juan Carlos from RS Components

Directus... You will love it!

Pros

Directus, as a Headless CMS pioneer, offers entirely free software that within a few minutes can have a full API, an easy to travel and learn app, and available with an SDK to easily develop applications. The GraphQL has been a great addition to the latest technology, and additionally, the community support is one the best I have had experienced. As I said, you will love it!

Cons

The latest version is written on NodeJS but uses a snake case compared to camelcase which is a JavaScript standard.

Lionel from SheerID

Headless CMS, easy to use and administrate

It's a central piece of our organization, with thousands of DB items that are exported through multiple JSON feeds, so that they are consumed by several clients on a daily basis. Very happy with Directus, it's an upgrade over the solutions we used before that.

Pros

I like that Directus is free and open source, with an active community over Slack and that the software evolves very quickly. I also *love* the fact that you can access the whole SQL DB schema besson Directus.

Cons

New versions sometimes introduce critical bugs. The Directus team is responsive on GitHub and Slack, but it needs some time to validate new versions before upgrading production DBs.

Reasons for Switching to Directus

Directus is more extensible and more scalable.

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hi Lionel, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Vladimir from Canic Interactive LLC

Slick looking and easy to start with

Overall impression (on our initial evaluation) was that someone really invested lot of time and thought into it.

Pros

CMS looks very mature, with lots of functionality already there. No need for installing tons of plugins, modules, extensions... Open source and i18n were our main perks when we chose Directus over others.

Cons

We've pinpointed bad time to start with it. Directus Team just started rolling out v8 where available documentation was for v7. Some small issues were visible, but quickly ironed out with swift releases. On the other hand - Slack support + Git issue tracking worked for us very well.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

PHP based, easy to clone instances and keep presets (content types, userbase), clean DB structure. Updates are as easy as "git pull".

Reasons for Switching to Directus

It is not self-hosted solution, and we like having our data on our servers. Also, we love supporting Open Source projects too.

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hi Vladimir, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Fabian from dasbomm

Only one important thing is missing

Using it to manage users of a plattform that offers handmade image-editing via a software.

Pros

+ Minimalistic interface + Cool features (e.g. to create those individual "views" on tables in the interface) + JS SDK that makes authorization in vue-apps a breeze + Token-refreshing + Fast + Easy to setup + "Readable" SQL-structure + Extensive roles & rights management

Cons

- There is no relation-type, that can handle relations between items of multiple collections (This is my most wanted feature, and for others too as i saw in the slack-workspace) - sometimes things happened (i dunno exactly when) that made the DB or tables crashed (maybe referred to a faulty operation from my side)

- More lean - More simple - More slim

Searched for a leaner, headless CMS than Drupal. Evaluated a few

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hi Fabian, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Also, we now have the "many-to-any" relationship type that allows connecting items from multiple collections! Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Adrian from EY

Industry: Program Development

Directus works fine

Pros

Directus covers almost entirely the needs of the project. Many improvements are currently being developed that help make things easier, in addition to new features

Cons

There is a lack of regression tests that validate when new features are developed, that everything is still working correctly. Sometimes some new developments break previous ones.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

Directus adapted much more to the needs of the project

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hi Adrian, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Also, we've in the process of adding unit and regression tests to the platform. This is a long/ongoing process, but we're excited to have them included! Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Kevin from web://contact GmbH

Using Directus since v6.x

we needed an headless CMS which we can self host and Directus was perfectly for this part. Easy to install and to set it up. Specially the translation part was necessary for our first project and even without it we're still using Directus. Version 7 was great and now we're about to upgrade some of our projects to Version 8 (the demo looks awesome so far)

Pros

I really liked the headless aspect and how easy it is to build up the overall construct for your data. The API is nice documented and easy to understand.

Cons

In version 6 the API is really slow when your database is quite huge. The issue was reported but couldn't be solved in this version so we had to upgrade the whole project (loading time for a site was 6s+...)

Reasons for Choosing Directus

We just found some alternatives but the most of them were way too expensive and then came Directus. We tried it and it fits us perfectly. No need to name some alternatives.

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hi Kevin, thank you very much for your review of Directus 6/7/8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. The biggest improvement in v9 is performance. We aim to get all queries down to the <50ms range as a base, so the App and API are both a LOT faster now. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Vincenzo from Doxee

Great Potential

I'm currently using Directus and working on customizations, sometimes it appears hard to add custom modules or to work on the already existing architecture but I'd say that I'm generally positive about Directus.

Pros

Directus is quite impressive about the potentials it have from a business point of view. The software is easy to configure and the community is very active continously improving the available functionalities and solving known issues

Cons

Some features are still not fully working (i.e. forgot password and reset password needs some work) PHP in my opinion is not very flexible for developer, so it require lots of components to be added

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hi Vincenzo, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Now that we're not on PHP any more, we've seen huge performance improvements, easier on-boarding for new contributors, and our community is far more active. I see this was a big issue in your first review. Our open-source platform is far more stable now, thanks to the full refactor. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Shea from Resauce Development

Exceptional Product

Both my clients and I update our content through Directus and we find it very easy to do so!

Pros

Directus is Open-Source and provides an easy-to-use interface that allows myself and my users to navigate the system and update data and content as needed. The Rest API is well-documented making integration into any system very easy! I love being able to get setup with a new project in minutes rather than hours.

Cons

There's nothing I don't love about Directus, there's always something that could be added to make the product better, but it all requires financing and I can't complain when it's free

Reasons for Choosing Directus

The cost of the product was a defining factor for me, I much prefered an Open-Source product that I could contribute back to!

Lazer from Tech Elevator

Feature-Rich Admin panel

I have created a headless API that serves JSON metadata about podcasts, including a link to the MP3 file (in an S3 bucket), the name of the presenter, the series of talks to which it belongs, and a boolean isPrivate. I have created related collections in the Admin panel, and now the 1 or 2 admins who add new recorded alks can add a series easily, add a speaker easily, add a category easily, and then add a lecture - using a dropdown to select which speaker, topic, category, and series this lecture belongs to. Now the management of organizing these assets can be handled by anyone who knows how to use a web browser!

Pros

The admin panel has an intuitive interface for managing database relationships (collections), users, fields for your data types. I feel excited to present my non-technical media producers with a way to add their media files, tag them appropriately by creator, relate them to 'topics' stored another table, and be able to update and add new topics with no technical expertise.

Cons

I had some challenges in setup that came down to outdated or incomplete documentation, but that may also be lack of experience on my side. Perhaps some things that were not explicit were actually expected knowledge that I was lacking.

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hi Jonathan, thank you very much for your review of Directus 7. Over the past few years, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (two major releases since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Thank you for your consideration!

Derek from Lambda Curry

Directus: Best Open Source Headless CMS Out There.

Overall Directus has been great.

Pros

Pretty Easy to setup. Conceptually it's easy to understand, just a wrapper on mySQL. Very powerful API Very easy to use admin interface.

Cons

There's a considerable number of bugs, and some features just flat out don't work anymore (caching). The documentation for docker wasn't great, but it is getting better! PHP isn't that fast, I haven't been able to get sub 100ms response times. PHP isn't a well loved language anymore, and fewer developers know it each year.

Reasons for Switching to Directus

Umbraco wasn't built to be a headless CMS, and so it was confusing for the design team to use it that way. It also didn't allow for all the customization I wanted.

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hi Derek, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. With our move from PHP to node, we've seen HUGE performance improvements. our main goal is to keep all base queries as fast as possible... and I think you'll notice much better speeds now. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Steve from Internet

Free headless CMS that does everything you need it to

I'm using it on several websites as the backend CMS. I also have writers using it who are not hugely computer literate and they have no problems with it at all. It allows me to build the front end of the site without having to worry about fitting in with the framework of another system.

Pros

The flexibility in that it can be used with our without the api

Cons

It very occasionally has bugs, but the support is fantastic and very quick to listen to users and out things right

It's free

Damien from Spicy Life

A fair customizable CMS

Directus allowed me to quickly build up a multilingual CMS for various client projects. It was not so complicated to setup although the overall UX could be improved, especially for the newcomers.

Pros

I really appreciated the potentialities to adapt the CMS to many various environments and contexts.

Cons

It it sometimes cumbersome to understand the logic when discovering Directus. It lacks a comprehensive support for beginners, for usual and advanced use scenarios.

Reasons for Switching to Directus

Directus appeared to be more robust, while embracing most of the expected features, including multilingual support, and user management. Also, decoupling the API and the UI layer offers interesting possibilities to edit the content from a customized UI, integrated in a preexisting product.

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hi Damien, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. We've also really improved our community support (now via Discord) and documentation for beginners. Just this week we launched our new video tutorial series on YouTube! Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Artem from frequi GmbH & Co. KG

Very lightweight Open-Source headless CMS

Pros

- Open-Source - Lightweight - On-Premise Version available - Great support

Cons

- Sometimes too breaking changes in the minor versions - Support mostly only for the last main version

- Lightweight - Open Source - On-Premise version

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hi Artem, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Christian from mutor GmbH

Feature-rich and extensible Headless CMS

We are a creative agency, which is using the software for small and medium sized projects - mostly mobile app scenarios. We really appreciate the efforts of RangerStudio to produce such a stable piece of Open Source software, which also can withstand production use cases with ease.

Pros

The CMS is quite feature-rich and already provides most of the functions we need for our customers' scenarios. Beyond that, it is fairly easy to extend it to special requirements using modules and custom endpoints; we are now using it for several projects over the period of several month, and the CMS and its functionality gets better and better; The new v8 Admin panel looks great too.

Cons

Since the project is Open-Source and community-driven, it's a bit hard to get support for very specific problems. Sometimes nobody responded to my questions on the official Slack channel. Debugging errors and custom endpoints is a bit cumbersome, since every change needs to be first deployed to the final staging or production environment.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

- Open Source - multi-language translation possibilty - extensibility - liked the UI more

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hi Christian, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. We also have a new community support channel on Discord. This is far more active and most questions get a response/answer in minutes. https://directus.chat Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Michael from michaelneumair.de

Greate database management content management system

Needed a CMS but without interfering in how I set up my database model in any way. Directus helped a lot by having a mature and well made and user friendly user interface and on the other side it didn't force me how to design my database in any way.

Pros

The well designed user interface and how I can plug it in into any MySQL database. One big plus are also the developers of directus who react quickly and helped a lot.

Cons

Sometimes its bugs due to rapid development of the software itself.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

It was the best open source headless CMS I found which had a beautiful and working user interface and gave me a lot of freedom as a developer.

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hi Michael, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. If you liked the UX/UI of v8, you'll really love v9... we've spent a lot of time polishing up the App, and it's far more intuitive than previous versions. Our open-source platform is also far more stable now, thanks to the full refactor. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Maarten from Maarten NV

Most feature complete, modern and stable Headless CMS on the market

Pros

Feature rich Customization Extendable Modern Great UI/UX Open Source Free

Cons

Not all v8 interfaces are available in v9

Reasons for Switching to Directus

Strapi was very unstable and buggy and the UI was very outdated. Also not fully OSS and some features are locked behind a payment wall.

Esther from Financial Services

a great tool

It´s a great experience to work with directus as it is a free tool that can be used for clients as well as developers in a friendly way.

Pros

it's for free. You can customize any data.

Cons

whenever there is a new version some of the items some functionalities doesn´t work.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

It´s for free and all the functionalities that I need are there.

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hi Esther, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. We've done a LOT of testing and fixes on this new version, so hopefully that alleviates the main issues you were seeing previously. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Santhosh from OpCommerce Online Pvt. Ltd.

Excellent open source software!

Pros

Truly open source gives commercial products a run for their money, super helpful community, rapid development, easy customization

Cons

I'm sure it'll get there and it's improving day by day, but documentation of some of the features/functionalities can be better.

Nils from Brackweder Gymnasium

Fast, simple and easy to setup.

Pros

Getting started with Directus is pretty easy because the documentation is very beginner friendly. Due to its simplistic style, it's easy to understand, but not restricting in any way. Its easily expandable and customizable and can be used anywhere.

Cons

There are only a few people working on the project so progress can be slow sometimes.

Reasons for Switching to Directus

It's too complex and visually not very attractive.

Anne from HiddenRaven

A very good admin basic system

Pros

The easily AND possibilities of doing whatever we want with. With the last version, we can do everything we imagine. This was not possible with the previous version, we met problems, but the last one resolves all problems. (we add problems with multi tables connection in database, M2A, M2M, etc.)

Cons

If we create some fields, some can't be edited, we can only delete theses and do it again.

Reasons for Switching to Directus

October is very good, more accessible for customers who wants a simple interface, but restrictive about permissions and simplier. October has his advantages with simplicity, but has the same limit. Directus is limitless, and that is his strong.

Benjamin from Freelancer

THe first headless CMS that truly can claim the name headless CMS

I love having the ability to create EXACTLY my Interface in the Backend as i needed. I can easily extend it, and if i got problems the Team is made up of really great people. I would not ever think about using any other CMS currently as this is, as a Developer, a real heaven.

Pros

- Data is 1:1 mirrored for the End User and you can implement DD interfaces as a dev yourself. - JSON REST API - User and Groups

Cons

- There are still some rare bugs. (But the team will squish them afap as soon as it is reported)

Reasons for Switching to Directus

Typo3 has really badly overengeneered parts. It also has multiple implementations of the exact same thing.

Carlota from Az

Industry: Computer Networking

Nice CMS

Pros

Customizable cms with a lot of options and is improving in each version. Further, you can suggest changes and improves and usually they add in the next version.

Cons

In some improments some old functionalities stop working.

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hi Carlota, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Jonathan from Duffy & Shanley

Review update

Using Directus 7 as a CMS for a fairly simple Nuxt site, currently going about refactoring and will update this with my experiences.

Pros

Free, open source, self hosted. They listen to the community!

Cons

My last review noted some bugs that were problematic, but that was two major versions ago. It's been a while since I've used/implemented it, and am excited to jump back in and see what's improved.

Free, open source

Jan from Radio Hitwave e.V.

Very simple headless CMS with ready-to-use REST API

We are moving multiple web applications into Directus, and managing our data within that system. This makes data-maintenance much easier for our data managers, and enables our developers to focus on the frontend development.

Pros

Quick to install and upgrade, just clone the GIT repository. Bugs get fixed quite fast, and there is an active community. The software brings a ready-to-use REST- and GraphQL-API and permission management.

Cons

While the community is quite active, there is an initial delay when asking questions in the Slack space.

Reasons for Switching to Directus

Before Directus, we have built and maintained our own CRUD-interfaces for managing our data. Now we can focus on developing great frontends without worying about the underlying API.

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hi Jan, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Our new community on Discord is also far more active... you can join us here: https://directus.chat Our open-source platform is far more stable now, thanks to the full refactor. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Alberto from Becreatives

Cool but not ready to use, at least for me

7/10

Pros

Easy of use, the dashboard is done really well, i think one of the best i’ve seen in a Headless CMS.

Cons

A lot of bugs: - the main problem are sql queries, there was a lot of bugs when tried to create/update data or fields - if you enable cache (via redis for example) login is broken - when you choose the size of the fields there isn’t a grid for 3 fields

Reasons for Switching to Directus

I’ve started the project saying that i’ll never used WordPress but after all the problems i had, we decided to make the switch. I’m using Wordpress as an Headless CMS with graphql.

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hi Alberto, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Our open-source platform is far more stable now, thanks to the full API rewrite. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version 9. :)

Alex from AppHouse Tech

Love how easy it is to start creating APIs

Pros

The documentation was really good and I found it easy to figure things out without needing to contact the support guys all the time

Cons

Not having available plugins to use out of the box and having to build them.

Valentino from Manufacturing

Industry: Logistics and Supply Chain

Simple, modern, yet intuitive interface

It's easy to set up and I got it running in less than 15 minutes. It looks & feels really modern and also built with modern tools, which makes it extremely responsive. Heck, even with a server connection of almost 300ms it feels snappy. It's also mobile-friendly. It's a blessing.

Pros

It handles tabular data very very well, provides an easy API to fetch and modify these and also has a fine-grained role based access control system in which you can grant or deny specific users specific fields. If simple data tables are still not sufficient, there's a ton of built-in components and even support for custom integrations/views.

Cons

Since it has support for custom integration and views, there really are none as far as I know

Yannick from Mol Media Solutions

Industry: Online Media

Directus: new era of CMS has emerged

Pros

The beautiful design, the excellent community support, ease of deployment. In short, what's not to like?!

Cons

The thing I like least about Directus is that v9 is not yet live, waiting desperately for it!

Nice Headless CMS

Easy to use. I use it for customer projects whit a lower budget. I can save the time for backend development.

Pros

- Free - Easy to use - Faster Development possibilities for Mobile Apps - Support on Discord

Cons

- The documentation is not the best, I hope it will improve - No Spatial Data Types (searching by distance is not possible)

A Great Headless CMS

Pros

Easy to setup, no code configuration was a big time saver. Once I figured out what was necessary for deployment, it was a breeze. Future deployments (if we ever even need to deploy it again) will be drag-and-drop.

Cons

The docs for deploying to Elastic Beanstalk were pretty much useless. I had to figure it out by myself even though there is a whole page dedicated to saying that it's easy to deploy. Lost about a day when it would've taken half-an-hour with some good documentation.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

Directus is free, has less bloat, and didn't require any custom development.

Jolomi from Philleep Florence

Why use Directus

Useful for API Management as well as Content Management for Web Apps.

Pros

Open source and non opinionated. Easy to extend. Flexible. Customer service on Slack.

Cons

Documentation could be a bit more in depth for developers looking to extend the open source code, but some help is provided on Slack.

Reasons for Switching to Directus

Stable and open source headless CMS was needed.

David from Studio Brüll

Modular

Headless cms for contents of interactive trade fair exhibits that roll out event based..

Pros

Open source Modular Scalable Apo first Multilanguage support

Cons

No option for push pull control of database for offline usage.. I seek to use it as an offline local environment with an online version for content editors. But I local machine has to check online vs offline version and pull latest content. Locally the the client software would call a local api..

Local install. Open source

Pascal from OnlineLessons.tv

Industry: Music

My directus review

Pros

- Very flexible - big community and support

Cons

- many small bugs in depth - often new bugs in new releases - many things missing in the documentation

Reasons for Switching to Directus

Moving away from a CMS to a vue.js frontend with headless CMS

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hi Pascal, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Our open-source platform is far more stable now, thanks to the full API refactor, and we've completely rewritten our Docs too. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. Thanks!

Matej from Code Ink

Happy directus administrator

Overall really satisfied, looking forward new updates.

Pros

Directus provided us a tool to easily prepare CMS for any website we prepare.

Cons

Lack of components. Not a problem, v9 is still not released and Directus team is working on this.

Reasons for Switching to Directus

Time-save and bug prevention.

Response from Monospace Inc

Replied March 2021

Hey Matej thank you for the review! I'd love to hear more about the components that are missing from Directus. Are you talking about the "Interfaces"? Or something else? Let me know what we can improve to help reach that 5-star review! Thanks for using Directus!