All KnowledgeOwl Reviews

Kristen

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Reviewed November 2018

Simple yet robust and OUTSTANDING Customer Service

When looking to replace our current customer support portal, we looked at several options. Knowing that we wanted a self service platform to maintain documentation, videos, demos, etc., Knowledge Owl (KO) came out on top. Their out of the box solution had much more functionality for the money and was solid. Once we started uploading content, we had several questions as new users typically do, but the team at KO was ALWAYS ready, willing, and able to assist. Not being the most technical person, I never once felt like I was bothering them. We also had the KO team assist with integrating our ticketing system and mirroring the CSS of our public site. All was fairly seamless and the team was extremely responsive throughout. Being that we built our KO site as private where our customers need to log in to access company-specific information, we also utilize KO's password management. Overall, I could not be more pleased with this solution and the KO team. They are really fantastic, extremely responsive. And, they are constantly improving the platform! Great product and Great People! Thank you KO. We look forward to working with you for a VERY long time to come...

PROS

- Robust - Easy to use - Customer Service (top notch!)

CONS

None that I can think of right now. This company is really doing a great job and from our standpoint is a leader in the knowledge base space.

Thank you so much, Kristen! We super appreciate the awesome review! -Marybeth

Replied November 2018

Brian

Reviewed April 2016

KnowledgeOwl wins on customer responsiveness & functionality implementation

As someone coming from the high-end CMS authoring tools of Madcap Flare, RoboHelp, and HelpStudio, KnowledgeOwl has a lot more of the features that I expect to see from a CMS system with the additional bonus of having a team willing to go the extra mile to implement tweaks for their customers. It's a perk, especially compared to the stand-alone systems, where "can I do this?" usually returns a response of "you get what you get and LIKE it. Oh, we also just rolled out a $1500 update. Go buy that, it has that little tweak you want. Kind of. But not really. Oh, and you should spend eight hours tracking down a solution to the problem you're having in our forums, because what you want to do isn't part of this release. That's in the next release. We promise." Not that I'm bitter. That doesn't seem like much when you're working on a sedate development environment. Having the time to sit down and really chew on some Javascript is part of it, but when your only free time to breathe or do a little research on the site interface issues is during your morning bus commute, it's a huge impact to your daily work routine. When you're trying to slam out content that changes on a daily basis, not having the time to implement a backend code tweak for your site while keeping up with your dev team's amazing ability to crush deploy deadlines like empty Red Bull cans makes it hard to get those tweaks to your backend integrated in a timely manner. But KnowledgeOwl has been responsive, helpful, and reasonable - to the point where I don't mind waiting a day or so to get an answer back or telling my team "I asked KO about it, they're figuring out a fix for that." I am not a huge fan of CMS hosting apps and sites from a purist's standpoint, but KnowledgeOwl makes me think I may become a convert.

Kate

Love the Finished Product, Back-End Lacking

I like the way everything looks on the front-end and think the search feature is awesome (could populate options a little faster though). The finished product looks polished and is really effective in helping to make organizational info widely available. I also like the "suggest an article" feature and the rating/feedback option for other articles. The overall layout/look is intuitive and easy to navigate. On the back-end, the format for writing articles could be way better. For example, when editing articles, it's hard to tell what the font is. The roundabout way to add pictures is also inconvenient. Copy/Pasting from another source is also difficult. When you've been inactive for a period of time, Knowledge Owl will kick you out without saving your work which can be very detrimental. The addition of Auto-Save would be amazing!

Dranilda

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Reviewed March 2019

One of the best and most seamless solutions we've implemented

We looked at many vendors before we evaluated Knowledge Owl, and I can't say enough about our experience working with the Knowledge Owl Team. From day one, the team continues to amaze me with the level of service they provide. They worked closely with us throughout the setup and implementation phase of our Help Center launch and continue to assist with our very custom and individual needs. Kudos to the entire team for always being responsive and helpful, but special thanks to the Knowledge Goddess / Chief Executive Owl, for leading the team.

PROS

Software out of the box is easy to use and customize and Knowledge Owl's documentation is thorough and nicely organized.

CONS

I can't think of anything that stands out as a con.

Yay! Thanks so much for the awesome review! - Knowledge Goddess / Chief Executive Owl

Replied April 2019

Geoffrey

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Reviewed November 2023

Happy KnowledgeOwl Customer

Overall, the experience with KnowledgeOwl has been fantastic and we're happy to continue using and recommending the product.

PROS

KnowledgeOwl is an easy-to-use and robust product that meets our needs wonderfully.

CONS

KnowledgeOwl functions great, but could use some better out-of-the-box UI features/improvements as well as higher file-size capacity.

Josh

Reviewed November 2014

HelpGizmo is a great product with a great team at a great price.

We were using Zendesk for our knowledge base because they were also our ticketing system, but I got frustrated with slow development timelines for some features core to our organization. We reached a tipping point and needed an alternative solution. After looking into over a dozen options, I discovered HelpGizmo. Not only did they already have the core features we needed, they were genuinely interested in building the best product possible and asked about the other pain points that existed with our previous service. They were willing to iterate on their product quickly and excellently to make it something even better than the great product I had discovered. It was such a different experience to see how quickly they responded and rolled out really great features that create a lot of value. Best yet, we still use Zendesk for ticketing but HelpGizmo is now our knowledgebase and Helpgizmo integrates with Zendesk so we get the best of what each company offers. Going with HelpGizmo was a great decision and working with their team has been a true pleasure. Highly recommend!

PROS

Permissioning by article level Great article WYSIWYG editor Outstanding customer service Variety of layouts Fantastic price Integrates with Zendesk ticketing Fully customizable with a little CSS

CONS

Truly can't think of any

Brianne

Market Research, 51-200 employees

Reviewed June 2014

HelpGizmo helped me to create the documentation I always envisioned

HelpGizmo is super easy. The switch over to HelpGizmo is FAST! Organizing all my content using the drag and drop table of contents was a snap. Depending on your content you should be able to go live with a public site in a day, two tops. HelpGizmo's table of contents organization allows editors and customers to see the "big picture" of documentation. This not only makes documentation management more efficient but, more importantly, it allows customers to help themselves. Customers who search our help documentation for a quick answer can see the other content and are encouraged to come back and use the other resources. Finally, and most importantly, the HelpGizmo team believes in customer-driven development and they're not just saying that. They are bright, energetic customer service gurus who just intuitively understand how to help you help your customers. When it comes to feature requests Marybeth will probably finish your sentences for you. This tools is already packed full of really rad features and the HelpGizmo team is just itching for customer feedback to build more.

PROS

-Easy to use -Fast -Excellent support -Customer-driven development

Tracy

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Reviewed February 2018

Easy to use, stellar customer support

PROS

We kicked the tires on 5 knowledge base platforms before selecting KnowledgeOwl. The selection was driven by two must-haves: 1) open APIs, and 2) ability to customize the CSS to meet our brand guidelines. After we made the leap, we were pleasantly surprised by the exceptional customer service. (Thank you!)

Maria Ronesa

Warehousing

Reviewed February 2015

HelpGizmo is great and easy to use

Using Helpgizmo for our company's knowledge base is the best decision we made. The pages are easy to edit and manage. I was able to add pages at my first login! It really makes it easier for users to access the data they need, so you won't have to go over and over the same set of instructions to different sets of customers daily.

PROS

Excellent customer support: Quick to reply on any issue and are very enthusiastic to help you. If you need guidance or have a suggestion for a feature, Marybeth got you covered! If the top score for support is 5, these guys deserve a 10!

Josh

Business Supplies and Equipment

Used less than 6 months

Reviewed August 2015

Protecting our core values

We have been very lucky to experience rapid growth due to our unique approaches in our industry. Unfortunately, rapid growth is very dangerous for many companies, because the growth distracts them, and they lose sight of what made the successful in the first place. We were desperately searching for a solution that would allow us to retain and promote our culture in a simple, but powerful, knowledge base platform. We tested many products, but Knowledgeowl was the simplest and most effective to use. In addition, the support has been incredible. I really feel like they are in this with us, not just selling a product. I highly recommend this product!

PROS

Clean and simple user interface Powerful back end Incredible support

April

Super simple knowledgebase software

We'd signed up for KnowledgeOwl (then HelpGizmo) to use as a white-label manual for a product we resell. It's fit very well into that role, since we can customize the help center to only show information related to the product and disassociate it completely from our branding, which has helped a lot for marketing. The software itself is very easy to use, way easier than something like MediaWiki. The rich text editing and easy image uploads (did I mention they host your media? No hotlinks!) makes writing articles with video/pictures super easy. It's also really easy to update articles, I went and overcomplicated myself when all I have to do is drag and drop the resource I want. Support has always been wonderful, Marybeth, Pete, and the team are great at communicating changes (like the DNS shift from helpgizmo to knowledgeowl), answering questions, implementing fixes, and basically just being all-around great. Customization is quick and easy, there are several features we haven't needed to explore but really do make KnowledgeOwl a great drop-in solution for other CRM or ticketing tools. Plus, users can download PDFs of your articles which makes distributing printable documentation even easier. KnowledgeOwl is a great piece of software that does exactly what it needs to do, and nothing more. It's thoughtless to the point of never being in your way, allowing you to focus on writing and managing articles instead of spending time messing with options and configurations. Plus, it allows users to configure multiple KBs on the same account, so I can manage customer-facing documentation on one KB and have internal, staff-only documentation on another. Yatta! KnowledgeOwl has become my go-to recommendation for a fast, easy, smart, professional knowledge base system. Give it a shot, I'm sure you'll feel the same way too!

Lynn

Banking, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed January 2017

KnowledgeOwl Review

Love the software, some bugs. Nothing that can't be fixed. Friendly customer service. User friendly.

PROS

Easy to use. Friendly customer service.

CONS

The overwriting of documents in the master library. No conflict warning when two editors are editing simultaneously. The edit and readers screen donnit mirror each other.

Thanks for the feedback, Lynn! We hear you on the library and the editor collision, and hopefully we will get both problems sorted out in the next few weeks. I'll follow up with you privately about the edit and reader screens; we should be able to get them to match! -Marybeth

Replied January 2017

Hannah

Reviewed March 2016

Knowledge Owl is, simply put, the best web-based help center platform I could find

I found KnowledgeOwl after joining a tech startup as the lead technical writer. At the time, the company didn't have any formal user documentation -- but we did have a support team fielding many repetitive questions, and users who could benefit from formal instruction. Given that we have a single product and it's fairly simple, products like MadCap Flare (which I had used at the previous company I worked for) offered much more than we needed -- and at a much different price point. I evaluated several other options and ended up selecting KnowledgeOwl given its straightforward pricing plan, easy-to-use interface and immediate publishing abilities. If you need something simple to use and build that offers fairly attractive basic theme choices, then KnowledgeOwl will suit you just fine. It may not offer several hundred output options, but as the world continues to move away from print manuals towards greener, online manuals, in my opinion that factor wasn't important. The best part about KnowledgeOwl, though, is the customer service/support. I can't imagine any company matching its service/support level. The first few weeks required a lot of customization given the look and feel that my company was going for, and the team over at KnowledgeOwl was with me every step of the way as far as customizing code and so on, in some cases even doing the customization for me as I was in over my head with that level of CSS code! Highly, highly recommended.

Emily

Reviewed August 2016

Amazing customer service

I use this software to create lessons for internal and external viewing. It is really easy to use and creates really user friendly and professional guides.

PROS

-Ease of use -The owl favicon! -The fun element

CONS

That images don't enlarge when you click on them - I have spoken to Marybeth about this and it is something that will likely be added soon - so not really a con!

Angie

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Reviewed July 2016

Simple Yet Powerful & Amazing Support

I use Knowledge Owl for a number of inter-connected knowledge bases, and I love how easy it is to maintain them. Not only am I able to use the same article in multiple sites, and have those articles update by updating just one of them, I'm able to insert custom content into one or more without affecting the rest. It allows me to create a custom experience without maintaining multiple versions of essentially the same information. The platform is very easy to use, but powerful. And I cannot say enough about the tremendous support we've received getting up and running with Knowledge Owl. The answers are quick, complete, friendly and right on the money. No matter what I'm asking, even if it's filling a gap in my HTML skills, I always get quick help with a solution.

PROS

Knowledge Owl is easy to use but isn't restrictive, and the customer support is top notch.

Alex

Comprehensive Knowledge Base platform

I have a very positive experience with KnowledgeOwl so far (using for 6+ month now). We are expanding our documentation very quickly, thanks to the intuitive web site and editors. We have a team of editors, and the ability to provide a group based reader accounts to our customers makes it easy to create customer specific areas. Something we were looking for a long time. The support is quick to reply and there are more features in development. My favorite is ability to use REST API to get a list of suggested articles by a keyword, and show that inside of our own web application to help our users. I'm looking forward to the Word document import (on their roadmap), so we can accelerate porting our old documentation.

Thanks for the awesome review, Alex! I'm glad you've had such a positive experience, and I definitely want to help keep it that way. Import from Word will be HUGE, but we do have the ability to bulk import Word files on the backend right now. I'll shoot you an email and see if we can help get your old docs ported over now :) P.S. The API is so much fun, isn't it?

Replied March 2016

Chelsea

A great KB software for SME's

We chose KnowledgeOwl because out of everything on the market, it offers the most bang for your buck and lowest barriers to getting started. Customer service is friendly and extremely responsive, and we were up-and-running in no time at all. It also offers more in-depth customization and organization features than many other products on the market at a much better price point. The simple, intuitive interface for adding articles makes onboarding very easy. The reason it gets 4 overall stars and not 5 is that adding your own CSS can be a pain. It's possible to write your own CSS for your site, but you have to dig into the pre-baked CSS inside the theme and override it piece-by-piece. There also isn't any documentation about their classes, so this can be time-consuming to figure out. If they offered a "blank slate" template that just gave you the basic elements of a help site (navigation, search bar, article content) then let you style them yourself from the ground up, it would be an easy 5 stars.

Peter

Reviewed March 2016

Very good platform, Rapidly evolving, and always ready to help

We have been actively working with the nice folks at KnowledgeOwl since September 2015. We selected them after an extensive evaluation process conducted over the previous summer. As with any evaluation, you have to find the right balance between features, support, and price and we felt that KnowledgeOwl, overall, had the best marks over all three categories. Implementing a solid knowledge base is a TON of work - even if we don't want to believe that at the outset. We have found the steady progression of improvements and ever present support to make a huge difference with us getting our knowledge base up and running. I am quite confident that as they grow and expand, they will continue to improve the product and be a great resource for how best to implement a knowledge base.

Thanks, Peter! We appreciate your help in continuing to improve and evolve the product. Your feedback is invaluable and helps us make KnowledgeOwl better for everyone. You are awesome!

Replied March 2016

Angela

Reviewed April 2016

This software was so easy and effective that my Vice President was stunned (in a good way)

I am a complete novice, to the point that I'm not even sure what a knowledge base is. That being said, I described what I needed to do in an email to Knowledge Owl, and, within that same day, I was contacted. Marybeth listened while I basically described a whole mess of things I wanted, understood what I needed and then immediately helped me set up our first news site. After my normal labor-intensive task of gathering articles and editing outside of the site, I found that setting up my categories and posting my articles took next to no time at all. I showed my Vice President, who is the owner of the news site. He was so thrilled, he could not stop showing people. We have gotten rave reviews and people love that they can access and review the site on their mobile devices easily. I look forward to a long, successful relationship with Marybeth and company.

Madison

Reviewed March 2016

Easy-to-use & flows seamlessly with our website - great customer service!

We tried a lot of different solutions before settling on Knowledge Owl for our company's knowledge base. The biggest reason we chose this platform was the ability to customize the look and feel to flow seamlessly with our website. While we did run into a few customization issues, the customer support was fantastic. We worked with Mary & Pete directly to solve some of these problems, and the one-on-one attention was phenomenal. They fixed some of our custom CSS & HTML so elements would work as intended, and even created a custom solution to enable our Google Custom Search Engine to work with the search in the system. Since we rolled it out, it's been easy to use, update, and monitor. The only downside is it does not have an option for an integrated "community forum" so if we do decide to launch this in the future, we would need yet another platform.

Ross

Great solution for all of our Knowledge Base needs

I run a small software business, and we needed a way to put documentation, manuals and training resources online so they are more easily accessible, and more easily adaptable as we update and develop our software. Knowledge Owl has been an excellent solution for us. I checked out a lot of options when we first started with KnowledgeOwl, and they were the best solution by far. The software platform does everything we need to create professional-looking, easy-to-use kb resources and keep them updated. It has all of the features that we need without being overly complex, and they add new capabilities all the time. Their customer service is excellent. Any time we run into something we need to do and can't figure out, they respond quickly and get us sorted out. Great group, great product, highly recommend.

Jordan

Excellent

Can't say enough about Knowledge Owl and their staff. They have gone above and beyond my expectations. Our organization had some specific issues that we were encountering with our tiered access and the information in our knowledge base our customers were able to see. Though at the time the capability wasn't yet available through Knowledge Owl they worked with us to develop it as an ongoing service instead of simply saying no we can't do that. That is a testament to a great company that will go above and beyond their call of duty for their customers needs. Knowledge Owl is a must for creating a dynamic and comprehensive knowledge base that will assist your company with its ability to easily navigate your support documentation and reduce call-to-action support requests. Thanks you Knowledge Owl!

KnowledgeOwl is ACES!

Requirements for our new company Knowledge Base included clean importation of legacy (Word) documents, easy of use to support non-technical administrators, and enough flexibility to adapt to sophisticated use cases. Many products met one or two of these requirement, but an exhaustive search left KnowledgeOwl as the sole product standing. Additionally, the pricing structure allows us to deploy multiple Knowledge Bases without the need to manage different users groups. During our trial, the support given by KnowledgeOwl's staff allowed me to deploy a proof of concept in under an hour. Fully featured, easily deployed, affordable, well supported . . . all of requirements were met. You should add KnowledgeOwl to your list of potential vendors.

Shannon

Reviewed March 2016

Using KnowledgeOwl as a repository for proposal/ RFP and sales related content.

We have been using KnowledgeOwl as a knowledge base for the past 6 months where essential information has been captured for the purpose of reuse among staff in day-to-day activity. Our staff can easily access information, in a central location that contains, accurate, relevant and important topics to maximize productivity. It it a tool I use everyday that helps me build comprehensive responses to RFPs/RFIs/RFQs. The UI design and search capabilities are two of the things I love most! I could also always rely on the KO Team to reply quickly to questions that came up the replies often included suggestions how to best achieve what it was I needed. This is just one of the reasons I believe their customer service is world class.

Jonathan