• icon"The overall quality, ease of use, features & functionality of blackboard make it a great software for college students and college campuses to invest in."
  • icon"This app helps getting virtual teaching done with ease with presentations being easily shared for students to view while the lecturer teaches."
  • icon"I enjoy the set up for BB Collab, that it is integrated into Blackboard, that is has features like the white board and file sharing. I also appreciate that it logs late students and attendance."
  • icon"I hate the bloat of menus and how user design does not seem to be considered. It is difficult to navigate and temperamental."
  • icon"The only downside is that blackboard is indeed a blackboard."
  • icon"I have always found blackboards functionality to be difficult and the platform confusing even with support."

All Blackboard Collaborate Reviews

Tyana

Company size: 501 - 1,000 employees

February 2022

Easy to Use

Gabriela

Industry: Food Production

Blackboard Collaborate Review

My overall experience with Blackboard Collaborate is always amazing. My grades have improved so much with this and I have been so much more organized because it comes with a calendar and reminder of when assignments are due and I never miss an assignment.

Pros

A feature that I absolutely love about this software is the breakout rooms for group projects. I love that professors can break us into groups and it is not difficult to see in Blackboard. I love how easy it is to use this software. I also love that I get to see my professors feedback on any assignments that have been graded. I love seeing the exact percentage as well instead of it saying "B+". I absolutely love Blackboard!

Cons

One feature that I hope that this software improves is sharing the computer audio. It would be really helpful to get audio instead of text because I feel like it is easier to communicate faster and a lot more easier than text. Either way I highly recommend this software because It has helped me be more organized. There are no features that are difficult.

TeHilla

June 2022

A Necessary Platform in the Face of the Decline of Face to Face Classes

I love blackboard collaborate. It saved my education during the pandemic. The most useful feature for me is the ease of access to recordings. Unlike other platforms, the recordings are stored directly on the platform and do not require the host or lecturer to directly send the recording to participants. The platform is so easy to use and mimics the structure of a real classroom.

Pros

Ease of Navigation User friendly Multiple avenues of communication (video, audio and live chat) Break out rooms options for group collaboration during classes Ability to schedule and create multiple classes that can be conducted simultaneously without disrupting each other Hands up feature Polls Recordings available

Cons

Initial learning curve as the platform is not similar to others that’s i’ve used before.

Reasons for switching to Blackboard Collaborate

Blackboard is more user friendly More similar to a classroom setting

Classic Software for Universities to Manage Courses

Pros

Blackboard is the veteran of online course environments for universities. The platform is versatile and offers the integration of many services, such as file upload, grading, assignment submission and interface customization.

Cons

At the beginning, the platform's functionalities can be a bit overwhelming and navigation can be confusing.

Robert

November 2022

A good platform but could improve

My general experience is relatively good in the web version, something excellent about it is that the classes are recorded and can be used according to your time and availability, what I don't like is that they don't develop their smartphone apps well, since today it is more comfortable to access from the mobile. It is a good platform but it needs to improve its smartphone version.

Pros

The web platform is intuitive and well organized, the menus are well positioned, I like that you can add multiple files, formats, Doc, pdf, YouTube links among others, in addition to its system to detect plagiarism.

Cons

What I don't like about blackboard is that the app for iPhone does not have all the tools that the web version has, this makes it not fully functional, there are apps from other learning platforms that have a more detailed app, another negative point is that it does not have an internal version for streaming video, it is totally uncomfortable since it gives you a link that is only compatible with safari and cannot be used in other browsers such as Google Chrome, in conclusion the app has to have a better adaptation to provide a good user experience.

Reasons for switching to Blackboard Collaborate

I took different training and courses

Liam

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

September 2022

Blackboard Collaborate ist DIE Plattform für Universitäten

Mit Blackboard Collaborate wurde mir mein Uni Alltag deutlich erleichtert. So konnte ich mich entspannt völlig auf das Lernen konzentrieren und Blackboard war ein erstklassiges Tool dafür.

Pros

Am Besten hat mir gefallen, dass mir immer chronologisch angezeigt wird, wann ich welches Assignment zu machen habe. Des Weiteren gefällt mir die Einfachheit der Bedienung dieses Programmes sehr.

Cons

Nicht gefallen hat mir dass ich oft zu viele Spam eMails bekommen habe und ich nicht wusste wie ich diese abstellen kann.

Aufgrund eines Schulwechsels.

Rhiannan

Fit for purpose

Pros

The ability to create independent units that have a range of resources and types of assessments.

Cons

It is not as user friendly as it perhaps should be for the sheer volume and type of people using it.

Kahlil

Understanding Blackboard Collaborate

The overall experience is good as the demands form the software are being met

Pros

The software is suited for online classes. The software has what is described as two factors authentication prior to sharing sound and video

Cons

The bandwidth needed to participate on this platform is high therefore a strong network connection is needed to actively participate.

Reasons for choosing Blackboard Collaborate

Functionality of the software is more suited than the other softwares

Convenient Online Classroom Platform

Wouldn't want to teach an online course with any other program.

Pros

Using Collaborate ensures that all course content AND the virtual classroom are all together in the same Learning Management System. It's much easier for students (and us Professors) to have a "one stop shopping" location for everything course related.

Cons

I haven't run into any issues using this software with my students.

October 2022

online classes are a breeze

Pros

I like most how courses and sessions can be recorded for future reference. Great for taking missed notes for classes

Cons

Recordings are hidden by the side menu. The default view is future/present sessions, so it took a while to figure out where recordings are.

KerriAnne

Great!

Pros

Blackboard is extremely easy to use and navigate

Cons

The icons on the left hand side are quite small and it took me a long time to access the recordings section

Logan

October 2022

Lots of features, so little time

Pros

There are a lot of features and ways to set up online learning.

Cons

Some of the features feel redundant or like certain teachers are not comfortable with using all of the features in the same way so collectively some training could be done on how it is actually supposed to be used.

July 2022

Blackboard Collaborate Review

Blackboard collaborate is a straightforward tool that is very effective for educational purposes.

Pros

As a university student in the COVID-19 pandemic, blackboard collaborate was a complete necessity. I used this app everyday for at least 2 years while navigating through classes, webinars and even exams. It is a great app that is geared toward hosting larger groups. This software is easy to use and the interface is very interactive. It allows for screen sharing and even fantastic features that allow the host to give attendees impromptu multiple choice quizzes. The break out room feature is also beneficial in managing larger groups. One of my favorite features is the promotion of asynchronous learning by providing recordings of meetings and classes. The icons are also very easy to use, even for first time users.

Cons

Blackboard collaborate needs an extremely strong internet connection to run smoothly. Other than that, the app is quite reliable.

Reasons for switching to Blackboard Collaborate

I switched from Skype because it was outdated and did not provide me with as many features. I switched from zoom as my University promoted and hosted classes mostly on blackboard.

Cheryl

March 2022

Bb Collaborate Brings Life to Online-Learning Courses

Overall, I am very happy using Blackboard Collaborate for my online asynchronous (speech communication) courses, as they have made my transfer to online teaching such an easy one! I can't think of a better way to present material for students, and to help individuals during coaching sessions and meetings. So easy to use, presenting in an inviting and simply way (visually) and my students have found it easy to use as well.

Pros

The easy to use Bb Collaborate helps keep an online class alive. The recording options allows teachers to teach an online course, have the experience recorded, and then uploaded for later viewing for those students unable to attend live. For asynchronous classes, setting up individual meetings, or sessions for coaching students (especially for speech communication courses) is so helpful, easy to use, and very easy for students to simply click on a link to join the meeting. I feel it is a safer version than zoom, and the file-sharing, and screen-sharing options make it versatile and user-friendly for teaches and students alike. My favorite feature is the scheduling set-up: you can easily invite individuals or an entire class by sending the link to them via an email, and creating a time-frame for entering the meeting. The icons on the meeting page are also easy to navigate for first-time users (most of my students are using this for the first time) .

Cons

Some of the "how to" features when searching for help in using the application were not as clearly presented (there's a lot to navigate through on those help pages), but this is the only aspect of this teaching tool that I would re-visit. The rest of the software hasn't show to be difficult to use, in any way.

Reasons for choosing Blackboard Collaborate

The college chose this product - campus-wide, so I'm not sure if other products where considered.

Jeremy

Industry: Writing and Editing

Classroom in a box. On your computer. But not a diorama.

For schools that want to extend learning beyond the physical classroom, Blackboard Collaborate is a reasonable option. It can get cluttered at times, especially when the class requirements juggle messages, discussion boards, video collaboration, private rooms, not to mention invites, multiple room options, multiple schedules, and other logistical nightmares. But the option to enter a logistical nightmare is there nevertheless, and who doesn’t like options? Simple is fine, but overcomplicated is better. That said, it’s overcomplicated only until the feet get wet and the user finally understands where he or she is walking. Then it becomes a matter of muscle memory. “Where am I supposed to post that assignment?” “Oh, right, in the discussion board.” “Where’s that assignment located again?” “Announcements?” “Maybe.” See? Muscle memory.

Pros

In a time when classrooms look like our living rooms and bedrooms, a service like Blackboard Collaborate rises to the occasion and delivers that bedroom class experience like few others can. Not only does it allow instructors and students to “collaborate” via traditional video, audio, and screen-share methods (how many services do that now?), but it also comes with multiple rooms, a place to list course directives, and a place for students to leave messages, including assignments. As a provider of supplemental instructions (as in, I’m not the instructor but the support member), I could join in the conversation and offer advice in a place where students would read it and even respond. It’s like group text messaging, but better. If I could narrow this down to one “pro,” it’s that Blackboard Collaborate considers all the communication angles and makes them available to all who are assigned to use it.

Cons

Other than the convoluted way some features are put together, the biggest issue I had was with the occasional connection problem. On one notoriously hilarious day, the instructor asked me to share some information about the department I work for (a student service), then interrupted me halfway into my speech with, “Well, I guess that’s our answer.” It seemed like she was getting impatient. But the reality was that she couldn’t hear me, and she thought I’d left the class. And she was the only one. All the students and her dean could hear me just fine. Things like that happened every so often. Not exactly great. Definitely not consistent.

Anvita

Blackboard Collaborate is Good for Online Classes and Assignments

Overall I enjoyed my experience with Blackboard. I liked the simplicity of responding to scenarios my professors posted and the option to reply to threads and individual posts from my peers with whom I had to interact with. I think Blackboard is very convenient for professors and for students alike, but that it can improve on some of its user friendliness and provide a neater and more efficient messaging platform and visual layout especially because not all students or instructors are necessarily computer savvy.

Pros

I used Blackboard Collaborate for several years in graduate school. What I liked most about this software was the simplicity of utilizing the conversation threads. There was nothing too "fancy" and the layout provided simple 'reply' and 'reply all' buttons. Each week we were required to answer questions about a scenario, and reply to other students' remarks as well. It was easy to see which posts did not have replies yet so that we each student got a change to have a reply. I think if this information wasn't provided on the main screen many posts would be overlooked, and I liked that the layout was clear on who posted and who replied, especially when professors emphasized replying to posts that had fewer or no replies already. I also liked that there was a messaging system built in, so we could communicate with our fellow students and professor within the website while working on assignments.

Cons

What I liked least about Blackboard Collaborate was that if I wanted to message my entire class, I would have to individually click every student's name, and then click the "To" button in order to add them as recipients. It was honestly time consuming and extremely frustrating as a graduate student because it wasted so many minutes every time, especially because I would often forget to actually click "To" after I manually clicked a student's name, so I wouldn't realize they weren't added into the message and would have to start over. This was unfriendly for users, especially for graduate students who need to focus on their assignments and communicating to their peers rather than trying to remember if they did the two-step clicking process for every single student rather than having a simple "select all" option! I don't know why there was no select all option to add the entire class when this is a platform universities often use for online classes and assignments. One more thing I did not like about Blackboard was that the layout was a bit confusing and not user friendly. It took me a while to get used to the flow of the website which felt unorganized and a bit scattered. I could see this being more of a problem for older graduate students who aren't used to adapting to various website layouts with many links to each class and each assignment stacked upon each other in an overwhelming way.

Russell

Mostly reliable platform for online classes

Pleased with my experiences with Blackboard. It's incredible that you are able to take virtual classes with this platform.

Pros

As background information, this was used for online classes - so my experiences is limited and based only on that. With that said, though, I was pleased with my interactions with Blackboard Collaborate. Here are the pros: - It has an Interactive Whiteboard feature that is quite helpful. Teachers can add their slide deck or presentation here. The students can then "interact" with the presentation using some nice features (type words, underline texts, even highlight). - Similar to other programs, you can share your device's screen with the class or you can allow other students to share their screen if they need to show a presentation or something. This comes in very handy if used well. - If you've never used Blackboard before, I think it's pretty easy to get the hang of. It's well organized and has a nice user interface. - Without Blackboard, managing the workflow in an online class would be extremely difficult. However, Blackboard does a phenomenal job of allowing information, assignments, quizzes, etc. to be assigned and returned/collected in an organized fashion. - If a student is unable to attend a live session, Blackboard includes a record option so they can go back and watch the lesson whenever possible. This can also be used for remediation and review. - They have some nice little features that often go overlooked, like the quick response or thumbs up/thumbs down features. It's helpful when quickly checking for understanding. - Breakout/small group feature.

Cons

Here are some concerns: - While it works well with Chrome, this platform does not seem to work with Safari or Edge. (This could be user error, though.) - This may be user error, too, but I found the audio to be a little off. It seems like they could do some updates here to help it sound a little more smooth and less choppy. Sometimes you don't always hear everything. - Even though the record feature is awesome - it can be annoying because the video and the audio are sometimes off. - I guess this could be based on the WiFi connectivity, but video quality is inconsistent.

Lauren

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

August 2016

I've been using this for years, and love it, but it has major issues

Pros

Blackboard Collaborate is such a great option for online teachers. We use it to meet with students and present lessons live on the computer. I use it weekly. It is seamlessly integrated with PowerPoint. The features are neat - you have lots of controls as a moderator. You can allow students to speak, use video cameras, type, draw, add pictures to the whiteboard, etc. You can set how many students can be speaking at once. You can mute them by taking away tools. You can create breakout rooms. You can play all sorts of media. You can remove students who are not behaving. You can lock the room or allow attendees in late. I've met with anywhere from 1 to 700 participants. You can make permanent forcing slides and make sure that students can't do anything without a teacher being present, but there are downsides to those functionalities as well. The app is really great. It is limited, and simple, but I've never had a problem with it.

Cons

The major thing I dislike is the "exception error" that I get CONSTANTLY. Basically, BBC can only handle so much data. Because it can't tell which participant needs what, it actually has to save and stream anything within a certain time period and send that out to everyone in the room. So, it really bogs the room down. It is just saving a TON of data at any given time. We've had to create separate rooms for back to back sessions instead of hosting them in the same room for this reason. It'll give an exception error if you try to do too much with too many people in too small a timeframe. Don't try to host a session over a wireless hotspot unless you have unlimited data. One session cost me like 2 gigs of data. Recording can only be done in the main room. If you need to record in a breakout session, you'll have to figure something else out. We use Snagit for breakout room recordings. The administrator panel is very confusing. I'm really tech savvy and I have a hard time navigating. It is definitely not intuitive when it comes to setting up new rooms and adding moderators. The permanent forcing slides are good. No issues there. However, what a pain to set up -- it just makes no sense. I wish it was easier to figure out how to do that.

Neisha