• Pros

• "It has the PlayBook plug in right off the bat. Playbook helps assign various tasks in case of disaster and keeps a log of whatever is done and sent, so collaboration is good."

• "It is very well designed, it allows usage of emojis and gifs, so communication within platform is fun after hard working day."

• "Chat options, the emojis all the perfect. The integrations with 3rd party tools is also so easy and smooth."

• Cons

• "Getting mobile app and making it running is little bit hard because you need to know your chat server and its little bit hard for most people."

• "Well, sometimes, I can't find the message I'm looking for with the research feature, but it surely is caused by bad search terms."

• "Hard to see the history of the chats. You can not search in a concrete chat."

Browse Mattermost Reviews

Tim from Funke Mediengruppe GmbH & Co. KGaA

Industry: Publishing

Great user acceptance and ease of use

Pros

The interface is pretty much self-explanatory. This is why the user acceptance is quite good. Customizing the interface is straight forward and can be done at user level. The open source cummunity around Mattermost is really nice and welcoming. Apps for every operating systems are available and easy to use once manually set up. Scalability was never a problem with 1000+ users.

Cons

Setting up integrations is more complex than with Slack, where integrations can be installed with one click in the backend. There is an app directory, but the apps need to be set up manually. Once set up, they just work. Incoming webhooks are the only exception; they work out of the box. Mobile perfomance is gradually getting better, but it's not yet up to Slack's par. The Windows-app is not yet ready for big scale rollouts via group policies.

Mattermost: Self-Hosted Superior Alternative To Slack

Mattermost allows us to quickly keep connected to our colleagues across the world. It allows people to form groups and chat easily to many different teams, all within the same desktop app, web app, or mobile app.

Pros

This software is very easy to install and supports a simple Docker install, which makes it easy to keep up to date and secure. There are multiple examples on installing and running Mattermost in different cloud hosting environments, and the user community is also very helpful. Running the software locally means you can keep a much better eye on its security and usage. Its user management and directory integration is superior to Slack's. The desktop and mobile clients are fast and easy to install/configure/maintain.

Cons

There's not much that I dislike about Mattermost. Its open source nature may put some people off, but paid support and enterprise licensing solve that issue immediately.

Reasons for Choosing Mattermost

Mattermost simply works far faster and more smoothly than Microsoft Teams, its apps are far more lightweight than the Microsoft offerings. Discord didn't have the features and open source nature that led us to Mattermost.

Reasons for Switching to Mattermost

Slack's pricing and features were simply onerous and drove us away.

paata from ltd magticom

Industry: Computer Networking

mattermost review

I use mattermos mohr than one year, but still can not used to it. main reason is that when I get the new notification, I don't get some signal, or beep. it doesn't appears on screen. mattermost is in my company main communication system. if I would asked, I would changed it with skype for business, or lync

Pros

mattermost is our companies inside network. we use it everyday to communicate. I like it because I have it also in my mobile. now when I work remotely, i am not always nearby computer and with mattermost I am always in touch.

our company financial interess

Jon from Silver Star Industries, Inc.

Almost really good.

Slack with AD integration at half the cost. But I still wish I could afford Slack.

Pros

Slack integrations just work on Mattermost. The theme choices are very nice. The ability to host my own on-premises server is very nice. Technical support staff is very knowledgeable and competent. I'm not made to feel like an idiot if there is some specialized knowledge that I don't have.

Cons

The Android client is extremely buggy and fairly slow still. Selecting a push notice to open Mattermost to view and respond in the thread does not always open the right thread and is always slow (even on LAN, with the latest gen of Android phone!)). The client MUST be snappy and it just.. isn't. The Windows client becomes slower and slower the longer you have it open, so it must be restarted every day or two. It's a little buggy; sometimes new messages make your view scroll up instead of down. But it works well enough most of the time.

Kemal from Influx

One of the best remote workspace!

It's a good workspace platform for people who remote work and for me it helps communicate many work-related things easily.

Pros

a. Simple workspace platform, especially for remote workers b. Many integrations can be made and compatible with Mattermost c. Highly customizable due to its open-source based.

Cons

d. UI is not really appealing. The UI theme kind of always remembers me that I'm working. It's not necessarily a bad thing but it could be less "work-theme", so we could feel a little bit relax. e. Cannot make a thread out of a message.

Ana from VO

Good collaborative tool

It is good collaborative tool as alternative to slack.

Pros

I like how easy is to use and allows different "rooms" for collaboration for teams. It is a great tool for fast daily communication.

Cons

Not much that I didn't like but I have been using for so long different products so habbit of using and switching to it was a tricky part. Maybe lack of 3ed party connection to tools.

Reasons for Switching to Mattermost

Some part of the team preferred to use it as management desided and choose it as for security data reasons.

Sergio from Al Fakal

Industry: International Trade and Development

Best alternative to SLACK

I really liked the platform. My team found it easy to learn how to use it. Now we are replacing email communications with Mattermost.

Pros

It's free, it's open source, it has very easy to follow documentation. It's safe and secure. It works smooth.

Cons

It could have sub-channels and addittional options to configure. Could give native option for audio sending.

Reasons for Choosing Mattermost

It's free, open source, well programmed, nice interface, easy to learn install and use. Safe and self-hosted.

Great for communication and to stay connected.

It is a great experience just that call options are not possible yet.

Pros

The best thing about mattermost is it has minimal crashed unlike Skype and here we can create groups and have the groups without the need to create the groups again and again. Also personal chats are possible. Anybody can join a group with an invitation. this is very useful in cases like a organization has a support group and all employees added to that group and communication is reachable to all the members. There is no limit for members in the group. A member can leave or join the group as required. Groups can be made private or public.

Cons

The only concern is mattermost doesn't have calling option.. this is the only drawback. Would be great if calling is enabled.

Reasons for Switching to Mattermost

Too many crashes and poor performance

Good free self-hosted Slack alternative

We started to use Mattermost on quarantine, a very secure and convenient tool, especially in new WFH reality.

Pros

What I like the most about this collaboration software is the simple and logical UI, which is not overloaded with lots of unnecessary features. It has all we need for successful communication. Also, it's very easy to deploy and integrate. Ensures really secure collaboration.

Cons

Great tool overall, perfectly performs its functions, didn't face any issues or drawbacks. Highly recommend.

Ali from Tintash

Communicate with in the Organization

Overall my experience is good. I would not prefer to chat as DM but yes for a company it is good

Pros

I like the most in it is a simple and easy-to-use platform within the company. People can make their channels and set the privacy of those channels which is a great thing

Cons

I don't like the UI of the matter most its too simple. There should be graphics like skype or discord

Adam from Pi-hole LLC

Switched to Mattermost after using Slack extensively, but got sick of the 10000 message limit

A platform to discuss issues and feature ideas around our open source project, without cluttering up the threads on github. A great way to stay in touch with devs from all around the world.

Pros

That we can host it ourselves, for one. We used to use the free tier of slack, but quickly discovered that the message limit was causing issues when we needed to recall conversations had in the past. It's been relatively hassle-free in getting it set up, and the whole team love it! One or two of us (myself included) were inspired to brush up on some of our coding skills when we discovered it didn't quite have the integrations that slack did, and as such have learned a lot about how Mattermost is put together, and how to create bots to get the information we need via webhooks. The Mattermost developers and community at large have been very helpful in answering questions when we've come up against issues, and I have even got a couple of my integrations featured on the integrations page of their website!

Cons

Really, not a whole lot. Ideally I would like to be able to sign into multiple slack servers from the mobile app (though, the native app has really come along in leaps and bounds recently). The only thing I miss from the Slack days is a sidebar/widget that tells you the local times of the other users (handy when working with folk from overseas!), though we have recently developed our own slash command to return this information, it would be nice if it was built in to the server. I should probably feed this back to the devs.... ;)

Viorel-Cosmin from Uhl Hosting

Our day with Mattermost

We solve the need to have a Support/Chat/Client support software, with this we have it all in one. It helped us keep communications across teams and countries painless. Integrated with all entire ecosystem from Taiga.io to Gitlab for a better DevOps experience. Overall every chance we had to contribute we toke it, thats why we decided to fully translate mattermost in Romanian language, do we did. If you need a centralized devops collaborative platform, give it a try!

Pros

One executable binary, simple to upgrade and maintain! Reliable self hosted alternative to other SaaS PaaS options. Cross-platform applications ready to use. Amazing open source community built around the product, friendly and helpful people!

Cons

It requires integration directory to allow users app deployment in mattermost ecosystem with ease. A bot repository is missing, this can fir next to all others apps and allow users automatic deployments of any apps from the store. Store idea is not a new concept, and a company that respects themselves should make use of own repository. Allow users to safely deploy tested and 100% working apps along their Mattermost instance.

Shawn from Acro Media

Mostly good, but I do feel it is a slightly lesser experience than some proprietary options.

Control over our hosting and data

Pros

Open source and self hosted, I don't get irritated if slack goes down and I don't have to worry about my data security or my data just being lost of the company goes belly up. This is far and away our primary reason for using this instead of Slack,Hipchat,Cisco, etc. It doesn't ask anywhere on this survey, but we use it for about 80 people, 60 staff and then various clients and contractors. We don't use many of the enterprise features, we just pay the licensing to support open source.

Cons

iOS and Android Apps are pretty idiocy, they're getting a bit better, but they are easily the worst part and I field lots of complaints about them. I would trade all new features and other fixes for faster and more reliable apps. The web interface is much better, but a bit buggy, nothing serious but little lags and quirks persist longer than I would expect. The install process is also a bit silly, copy pasting files and such, a provided .deb or a custom apt repository would be 100x better and save me upgrade time and downtime. The lack of this is surprising considering almost all other software I use has this, even when it is free or small.

Make the Most of Mattermost

Between communications platforms, voice calls, emails, and texting, there are numerous ways to communicate with colleagues. My company decided to use Mattermost because it helps us avoid clogging up email when we have quick questions to ask or non-essential company-wide messages to send.

Pros

My company has over 200 employees ranging multiple departments (from editorial to strategy to support) and offices. Mattermost helps us stay connected in a quick and efficient way because we can easily connect and disconnect from channels according to our business or personal needs. For example, I am part of a group that connects members of my immediate editorial team and other groups that connect my larger team, my support resources, and strategy team members. It helps me stay organized in my communications, and it's much easier than using email or texting to communicate quickly with people on a daily basis.

Cons

Because my company is relatively large, we have dozens of channels on Mattermost. I sometimes find it difficult to find specific channels that I'm not already a part of, especially if I don't know the precise name of the channel or group. This sometimes ends up being a hindrance to what is typically quick and efficient communication. Nevertheless, I enjoy using Mattermost and would recommend it to other businesses.

Tobias from BHS Corrugated

Industry: Machinery

Very intuitive and solid software which is perfect for running a slack replacement on premise.

A super and ready to use Slack alternative.

Pros

* The replacement of slack * Mattermost has almost the same features as Slack * You can host and run your own instance on your own server (For companies which hate clouds) :) * You have a good overview of logs and you can see what goes around * The statistics gives a good point when a dev team is productive * You can easily create unlimited integrations which some internal stuff

Cons

* The lack of integrations (Slack is here over the top) * The incoming hook limitation of maximum content length is the hell (Mattermost don't inform the customer about a message which was higher above the hard coded message size limit) * UX in Slack is a little bit better (Slack is massively using websockets and eventstreams to fetch the actual team messages) -> You see always whats going on * A 'Unread' channel (like in slack) would be a pleasure ;) * A step by step guide for creating an integration would not bad for not advanced users

Sarah from Atlas Networks

Great Application for Internal Messaging

Mattermost is fantastic for internal messaging for an office looking to communicate between departments discreetly. The web app is flawless, and the mobile app is useful with some glitches, i.e. force quitting, delayed responses. I would highly recommend Mattermost for those looking for an intuitive instant messaging software suited for professional use.

Pros

Mattermost is customizable and fairly simple to use. There’s essentially no learning curve as it has all the familiar landmarks of instant messaging. I love the ability to create customer emojis which my office lovingly partakes in. It allows us to work efficiently and quietly, while being able to communicate seamlessly between departments. The interface looks clean, and I can’t think of any glitches to date on the web application version.

Cons

I would like a better search feature, and perhaps the ability to search by person rather than just chronological. I use both the web app and the mobile app, and the mobile app can occasionally force quit and delays messages now and then.

Better than Slack

Apart from the shortcut breaking the @-mentioning on my AZERTY keyboard, mattermost is a fantastic tool.

Pros

The ability to add many channels, with/without passwords, as and when needed. Combining multiple servers with separate usersets.

Cons

Since one of the more recent versions, they've altered a couple of shortcuts. One of these means I can no longer type an @-sign, making mentioning people rather difficult.

Mattermost

Very good. Prefer it to slack as it can be self hosted

Pros

Self Hosted, easy to use and implement on our own servers.

Cons

Needs Manual intervention to clean up old files

Self Hosted, Nice UI

imedo from Magticom

it was improvement

overall despite it being hard to install manually on smartphones it is way better than our past solution.

Pros

we had to change from past solution to mattermost, it was huge jump. mainly it's chatting way between company so its mainly informal and matter mostly offers modern chat features, custom emoji emoji etc.

Cons

getting mobile app and making it running is little bit hard because you need to know your chat server and its little bit hard for most people.

Anjali from N.P. Ltd.

User friendly Software, like it.

Pros

I am using this software from last 1year and the experience is amazing. This software provides great features and it is so user friendly. You get used to it very soon and you will definitely like it. The channels, individual notifications and maintaining the history of messages and not losing them 2weeks upfront like other communcation channels differs it from other softwares. Chat options, the emojis all the perfect. The integrations with 3rd party tools is also so easy and smooth. We used this as major communication channel between offshore and onshore team and we have teamcity integrations for build success/failure messages. It integrated so well.

Cons

Personally i like it, i don't find any issue with this software. It is just few softwares more overrated and people prefer those. But believe me this one is if you get used to it will never let you switch to some other communication channel.

sherrie from Amazon

Communication for the masses

Mattermost is a great software to use with the virtual employee situation which allows the sharing of ideas, answers to customer facing issues, and the ability to communicate privately with leadership and/ or teammates. The chat is instantaneous, which allows for faster responses than emails.

Pros

Interactive media that allows instant communication with teammates and leadership, whether it was a question or just sharing of daily life. The ability to host channels that was based on teams, programs, and specified topics. All individuals were able to have private groups to chat with friends, co workers, or teams.

Cons

The scroll in chats often moved so very quickly that questions and responses were missed. Inability to customize responses such as color, fonts, etc.

Athanasios from AltSol Ltd.

Mattermost is the every day reliable work mule that powers our team's direct communication needs.

Pros

It is an easy to use, open-source and free messenger, which can be setup either on-premises or hosted on a cloud platform, while also being docker friendly. Community extensions and plugins, as well as optional commercial enterprise-level support, provide infinite extensibility and flexibility options.

Cons

A few more service integrations, like audio/video conferencing, contacts/calendar sharing, attachments managing, better in-chat previews would be positive moves, although these features are getting improved version by version.

Scott from Nettek Solutions

Team communication on a budget.

Mattermost allows the team to communicate and maintain control of our data. It does take some time to setup and maintain, but it is worth it for attractive UI and options it gives you.

Pros

The cost. The fact it is free is what got my attention. After that I found out I could self-host it, which made it even more useful. I can use Mattermost for my team(s) and still control my data. The interface is attractive. You can use a Mattermost app or you can use the web interface.

Cons

The install and maintenance is on me. You need to have enough time for the install and maintaining the server for the system. If you don't have the time, this is probably not the best option for you.

Julian Jacques from DIaLOGIKa

A self-hosted alternative to Slack and Teams

Pros

One of the most critical aspects of Mattermost: it's self-hosted. Yes, that means additional work for hosting, but it also ensures our internal communication stays internal. We use Mattermost for almost all of our discussion​, and it has dramatically improved our workday.

Cons

Mobile clients exist, but there are not necessarily​ great. I often use the website instead of the mobile client, because it is quicker and the status of my colleagues is actually shown correctly.

Adam from Porch.com

I don't know what I'd do without Mattermost

tool is great, and from this users perspective is a fine alternative to slack.

Pros

It's very easy to use, and as far as I can tell works alot like slack. I'm not sure if it has as many plug-in options but that's not something I'd use anyway. Great for team collaboration and general communication.

Cons

I get LONG LISTS of rooms and chats and there is no easy way to search for people aside fom doing a control-f. I can search within chats, but I think it needs to be easier to search FOR chats

Massimo from Questrade

A more secure slack

Mattermost got everyone on our team working together more. Made it way easier to track how a project is going and made it super easy to share files.

Pros

We use mattermost in our office, we work in a highly regulated industry and needed something that could offer more security while making sure we keep our files transferred among one another in our control.

Cons

Very minimal not too like. They are growing their emoji collection, but would like to see some more fun stuff in the program to insert some fun into the mundane work day.

Pierre-Paul from StudioQI

Awesome.

Like I just said, full and easy auditing of the stack. The API is clean enough to pair with pretty much anything.

Pros

Can be installed on-premise and is open-source. I can secure and audit the software myself and I don't have to trust any external partners.

Cons

Right now I would say : backups. I have not found a good canonical documentation source about backups (and most importantly, how to restore them). It's nice to see Gitlab backing of the project, but I hate the fact that it's bundled together.

David from Alaska Satellite Facility

Excellent Hipchat Replacement for On-Prem Enterprise Chat

We are very heavy into enterprise chat. We are not allowed to use off-premise (i.e. cloud) hosted solutions for security reasons. When Atlassian decided to sell Hipchat to Slack, that put is in a bit of a bind as Hipchat was essential to our business communication process. With the implementation of Mattermost, I am actually finding that my staff prefer Mattermost to Hipchat.

Pros

I did an evaluation for a replacement for our Hipchat server as Atlassian is phasing out Hipchat for on-site chat. In doing a direct shootout between Mattermost and a competitor, I found Mattermost much easier to install and administer. Mattermost's team has been very responsive in the evaluation process. There are a large number of plugins available to connect other development tools to Mattermost. It's clear it's a product that is getting actively maintained, with new features and functionality coming nicely down the pipeline to the end users.

Cons

The Jira integration is currently not as fully-featured as Hipchat's was. That said, I believe that a better integration is coming down the pipeline. The default video chat/screen share plugin is Zoom. I would prefer having other options.

James from Colewood

The bridge between face to face and email

Pros

When it's too much to send an email or you can't be bothered to get out of your chair, Mattermost is perfect. It allows all our staff to quickly chat about things without clogging up inboxes or having them on their phones. Groups and channels are great, especially for management needs.

Cons

The ability to preview non-image files would be nice, some files,​ have to be downloaded to be previewed.

Easy to use, easy to setup and easy to maintain.

Complete control on our data. We also finally centralized all our communication and standardized it. No more private message, group private message and all that mess. Lastly, we have couple of our product that are using incoming webhook to push important notifications.

Pros

easy to use S3 backend Good support of different databases Quite easy to configure for the different needs of a company I love the threaded reply, make it so much easier to follow multiple threads in the same channel. Mobile notifications are quite useful Mobile native app was quite welcomed, the previous one wasn't up to standard

Cons

some glitch in the mobile applications Weird marketing decisions on which feature goes in which package Can't see how many private channels are present (as the administrator of the server)

nana from Ltd Evy tbilisi

communicate within the organization

overall it simplifies ma daily activities. and it seems it's useful for me.

Pros

i like that i can reach easily all employees and communicate with them. i like numerous of stickers and smiles and ability to make group chats.

Cons

it isn't easy to use. when i receive message sometimes i miss notifications. when i click pop up window it doesn't begin conversation, i have to find message in contact list. this is inconvenience.

The best alternative to Slack and best work messaging app on the market

Pros

There are not that many good options for team messaging apps. Hipchat or Microsoft Teams do not even come close in terms of either functionality or scalability from a slack. Hipchat,Yammer, Skype were from another generation. However slack is expensive, and they limit your search history, if you're using their free version. Mattermost has the exact same functionalities but its code base is totally open so it can be integrated with anything you can think of (even those legacy applications that Slack won't bother with).

Cons

Might take you an hour to deploy. and if you're not familiar with deploying applications you might have to read the instructions... But other than that. It's a 10/10.

Pat from STLC

Great self-hosted alternative to Slack.

Pros

Matter most lets you own your own data. Self-host Mattermost means not letting a third-party control what actually matters in a chat open. The open dvevelopment model gives insight into the upcoming relase cycle, see if others have solved integration issues that you may be attempting, file bug reports and follow the progress in fixing or even contributing a fix back yourself.

Cons

Mattermost still has some rough edges regarding their mobile clients. The new native app is definitely better than the previous web-view one though.

Slack substitute with similar features

I don't know about the overall cost, but I assume it costs less than Slack. Given that, it's not a bad alternative. I think it's main issues aren't so much limitations in functionality as just having a less user-friendly UI overall.

Pros

honestly, the most use we get out of this product is having fun with the wide range of emojis you can add to posts as reactions

Cons

There's something slightly less intuitive about the UI than similar competitors (i.e., Slack). Sometimes the search function in particular is confusing and could definitely be improved.

zakaria from magticom

makes communication more joyful

despite it being little more harder to use, it's more enjoyable sometimes all you need after hard day at work is funny co worker sending some hilarious gif.

Pros

the main think i like in Mattermost is design it feels lighter, it makes me feel happy, emojis are great way to impress and make communication more informal, also ability to use gifs is one of most useful features

Cons

compared to other communicators i used it feels little bit harder to use, its easy nothing very difficult but it feels like i need some extra effort to find person and use direct messaging.

valerian from Ltd magticom

not so bad to connect employees

Of course it saves my time. I can just send sms to colleagues instead of going to them.

Pros

It's easy to use. It helps me to communicate with friends and colleagues. It saves my time. Overall it is a good software.

Cons

When i receive sms i see pop-up window, but when i click on it, it returns to home page. and i have to search sms from contact list.

Andreas from Agfa Healthcare

Mattermost is a great tool for business collaboration. Easy, professional, lightweight.

Finally we managed to bring people together to discuss things in an easy way on the global level. E-mail threads that hurt are ghosts of the past now.

Pros

Open Source community driven. Very easy to install and maintain. Very stable. Easy to integrate.

Cons

Some fancy features might take forever to be implemented. Lacks some nice to have admin features for large user groups.

Caleb from Freelance

A very low friction transition from less flexible more expensive team chat solutions.

One place for team communications that Slack/Hipchat users find familiar and everybody else learns easily. Integration with other software in our mostly open source workflow.

Pros

Great integration with as many systems as we want including with SSO and being able to roll our own tweaks when necessary.

Cons

Audio and video integrations are still in beta and a bit rough. My teams pretty much prefer out of band calls for that which detracts from team interactions. Also notifications are a little dicey.

I run my own instance to chat with my friends since long time (40984 messages from ~15 users)

Better communication and project management, easy notifications and less mail exchange.

Pros

In fact, I enjoy how data are linked by channel and hashtag, to plug it easily to integrate it w/ existent tools.

Cons

Not a lot to say here, native gif integration is missing and more command to activate some sounds or i don't know.

Jiri from React Call s.r.o.

Complete, reliable and user friendly, also for the administration part.

Better team communication, improved efficiency, new communication channel

Pros

New features coming without increasing complexity for the user, the open source DNA, it's capacity to integrate anywhere.

Cons

The mobile app could be faster, and I miss the capacity to paste easily something with more than 4000 characters.

Gavin from Computer Software

Amazing enterprise messaging product!

Pros

Incredibly easy to use software and ties into all my workflows. Hundreds of integrations, great UI, rich text formatting and Open Source. Love Mattermost!!

Cons

Nothing. Could not be happier with Mattermost and have been using it for over 2 years.

Luc from Framasoft

Mattermost just works seamlessly, does the job and more.

Pros

The ability of Mattermost to detect that you paste an image URL and display the image without getting out of Mattermost, and the fetching of Oembed/Opengraph/whatever data of URLs, providing summary of pages. And the extendability with hooks.

Cons

Well, sometimes, I can't find the message I'm looking for with the research feature, but it surely is caused by bad search terms. Putting flags on important messages helps not loosing them.

Dalibor from Kameleya

Industry: Shipbuilding

Alternative to Slack - opensource

Opensource alternative to Mattermost. Allows team communication on one place, especially for things that should be in chat-groups-discussions and not in countless emails that are hard to track in multi-user environment.

Pros

It is opensource, it has no limits like Slack and it allows similar experience/functions. It is not easy to set-up but once started it works with no issues on desktops/laptops.

Cons

Android app is not connecting to some servers (all I built). SSL certificate handling is a bit tricky. Default way of creating users is sending them link (creating user/pass would be a good option).

Jacek from Future Processing

Good Open Source alternative for Slack

Pros

+ Open Source + Can be set up for free even for Commercial use + Can be hosted on-premise + Good community support - Apps and Integrations brings great support to exchange data with external systems for software development teams

Cons

- The interface is not as refined as Slacks's - Video and audio conferencing is not integral part of the software and requires external integrations

Renjith from SAP Ariba

Amazing Team Collaboration

Pros

So intuitive interface and so less clutter. The teams love mattermost for many things, integrations, easy to use interface, stability of the software.

Cons

1. The ability for anyone to delete a channel. 2. Lack of SAML support for team edition

A tool to consider!

Pros

- Mattermost is intuitive to use and easy to implement in your company - It has a good amount of integrations

Cons

- Not as many options for building bots, automations and intgrations as competitors - Mobile app only "okay" - Most other organizations are on Slack, so if using a tool across companies is an important use case, Slack is the better option

Nazar from Forte Group Inc.

Great open source messaging application and slack alternative

Pros

The product is easy to use and there is lots of documentation on github updated regularly by developers and community. You control your data and security because software can be hosted on premise. Thread reply is much better than what slack did. Mattermost has short release cycle, feature vote forum, your voice matters to the company

Cons

Overall UI is not bad but in my opinion slack has much more beautiful look. Expiration time for authentication token is quite short, you would need to re-login every month or so

Carsten from GEBIT Solutions

Great tool that works just the way it should, high quality, performance, and UX.

Pros

I like most that it's a very unobtrusive tool that "just works" without getting in the way, be it in the browser, as a desktop app, or on mobile. It's Open Source and can be self-hosted, allowing for private communication. I also love the open, active and welcoming community.

Cons

There's really nothing in Mattermost, that I don't like at all. But if I could wish for something, I'd like to have a list of "favourite chats" (channels or direct chats) that are always visible, independent of the current team selection.

Nicolas from TOBAM

Full of great features for this chat system

Better communication between teams of our company in different locations

Pros

Frequent release with new features, and the ability to host mattermost on our own server. Ability to add our own commands for specific needs

Cons

Upgrade could be simplify. Mobile apps do not allow authentification by certificate API changes broke few commands after a matter most upgrade

Nenad from soneco

Replace your old chat server

We replaced our aged Openfire and Spark server/client. Mattermost has much more functionality with less resource usage. Recommended for in house installations.

Pros

Mattermost was really easy to setup, the additonal https configurations are also well documented. As for the user side,it is similar to slack

Cons

Single Sign On functionality is based on plugin, which sometimes doesn't work that well. Other than that,no problems performance or functionality-wise.

Reasons for Switching to Mattermost

Openfire was pretty much dated