Browse Whimsical Reviews

Bonita from RHAD

Just like the name, it's fun and fantastic

Before Whimsical, I was struggling to switch between 3 different software and documents just to create, collab, and present UX deliverables. But now I can do them all in Whimsical and even invite other team members to collab on the design or to give feedback! Not to mention the tools are pretty straightforward so I'm less likely to overthink and just focus on making design ideas tangible :)

Pros

What I like the most is the Time Machine features, I hope they will release the stable version soon and maybe release a desktop app in the future.

Cons

It's troublesome if I wanted to open another board in a new tab when I'm inside a project board. I have to type in whimsical.com in my browser to brings me to the project dashboard so I can open the other board in a new tab.

Reasons for Choosing Whimsical

It's cheaper and gives us more freedom in the trial/free mode.

Reasons for Switching to Whimsical

I found Balsamiq too complicated and can only do wireframes.

Martin from ENFLO INVESTMENTS, INC.

Boards, Flow Charts, and Mind Maps and much more! EASY and BEAUTIFUL!

I'll keep it very short! After trying a few different software for flowcharting, mind mapping, and boards or what whimsical call Sticky Notes which combines the two... This has been a pleasant surprise it's beautiful, it's easy especially for a guy that's not from an engineering or project management background, and it just works really well. Best of all it combines most of the tools we need to create projects or designs in one easy and affordable tool. The icing on the cake which is how I found out about it is that this integrates well with Notion so now I can embed the tools I create into Notion and manage it all there. Please keep making it better its got so much potential

Pros

The software looks very clean and polished with easy navigation and controls everything works well. You have most of the tools for project management in 1 software. If you use Notion is very well integrated with it which is what originally sold me on it. It's so easy to use goodbye Trello (never embraced it), Lucidchart (not bad but for simple process/flowcharting this is better), and a few other Mind Map software that never did it for me.

Cons

I haven't found one but I'm still kind of new to it and I just hope they keep making it better.

Reasons for Choosing Whimsical

Whimsical had slightly better reviews but Miro looks good too but seemed like it had more than I need and I'm not sure it has some features from Whimsical

Reasons for Switching to Whimsical

With this tool, I don't need Lucidchart, Trello, and a few other Mind Maps software I tried

December 2021

Erin from Latchkey Marketing

December 2021

Wireframe building made easy

Since discovering Whimsical, I have been able to create wireframes and sales funnels so much quicker. I am a visual person, so I need to see these types of diagrams mapped out in front of me in order to visualize the big picture. It's also a great source for reference as I am building the wireframe or trying to explain/understand a click funnels process from A to Z.

Pros

I am using the free version and it makes wireframe building so much easier. I struggled with how to build and present wireframes to my clients until I discovered Whimsical. Now I can visualize and build quickly and then use them as a guide when I build/design the website. Also, it makes it easier to visualize sales funnels which I appreciate.

Cons

It's a bit complicated at first, trying to get the directional arrows to go where they are supposed to and figuring out how to use all the elements in the way I intend. I got frustrated the first time I used it because the elements didn't behave the way I expected them to. I think it just takes practice. I did not watch or read any tutorials, which I am sure would have helped.

Reasons for Choosing Whimsical

Whimsical is actually intended for building wireframes and sales funnels, so the tools are designed to achieve these purposes and it is fairly easy to use. It has saved me a lot of time. I am not sure if there are other similar tools like Whimsical. It was suggested to me by an industry peer and I've not looked for other similar applications.

Reasons for Switching to Whimsical

Trying to manipulate shapes and graphics in Word or Excel is just plain difficult. The tools in Word and Excel are limited and not exactly what I need, not specifically built for this particular purpose.

Amey from e-Zest Solutions

Not Bad But Not Good Also!

I am using whimsical for one my project Insisted by client. We are using these software mostly for our roadmap discussion and to log future deployments and Ideas. Overall experience is so so not bad but not good also. There are some areas need to improve specially when we add cards into stacks. Little chaos will happened when users try to edit or add card simultaneously.

Pros

I am using this software more than six month for project roadmap planning and retrospective discussions. Pros are like it is quick and drag drop cards works great. Easy to create workflow. Option for colouring is very handy.

Cons

What i dislike about it is interface is not simple and difficult to understand at first. Collaboration is not that easy and difficult to align. Only limited sets of card can be displayed on stack user not aware of where they can find all list of cards

Swathy from SWYM

Excellent Product

Loving it!

Pros

I absolutely love whimsical - I have been using it for 2 years now for my professional and personal projects. In particular, I love their Wireframes - no other paid or free software comes anywhere close to this feature. Another thing I love about Whimsical is their support team - they are super quick to respond to any queries that you have!

Cons

Mind maps are always 1 to Many mapping - Many to 1 are not possible but again it's not a deal-breaker

Reasons for Switching to Whimsical

I started with Balsamiq - it sure does what its supposed to do but Whimiscal is just better

Whimsical makes drawing beautiful diagrams super easy

Non technical staff needed to draw process flows, etc and found Visio too cumbersone and fiddly.. plus all the 'style' had to be applied manually and formatted manually.

Pros

Drawing diagrams is extremely easy. Lines join up automatically, curve when they need to.. gone are the days of fiddling with alignment and trying to grab little placement handles with the mouse cursor. The resulting diagrams are also extremely sexy - with that modern flat look by default. Whimsical make your diagrams look like you hired a graphic designer.

Cons

There are not enough templates to create all the diagrams types necessary, with all the details necessary

Reasons for Choosing Whimsical

Easier to use and better looking results with minimal effort.

Reasons for Switching to Whimsical

Easier to use. Better looking results.

I can't believe that making diagrams can be so easy.

It can be summed in making diagrams has never been easier and the interface is so nice, I just love how easy it has made my work on documenting processes, and user flows. Wonderful product, and you can try it for free, so what are you waiting for?

Pros

- Beautiful interface - Very easy to use: I mean how easy you can connect pieces in a diagram is almost unreal. - Collaborative and cloud based - You can create folders to keep your diagrams ordered and easy to find - Easy to share diagrams, and get feedback in the same file. - A free tier

Cons

I can't think of any, I've been using this software nonstop for the past few months. And it always amazes me how fast you can build diagrams, it has made the task of documenting so easy too. I love it.

Reasons for Switching to Whimsical

It was so hard to use, diagrams looked awful. So making the switch to whimsical was a no brainer.

Vincent Po from Ethan Hathaway

Industry: Information Services

One of the best Mindmap apps

Overall, it's my favourite mind mapping tool. I don't really use it for the other type of diagramming, mostly the mind mapping feature.

Pros

Whimsical has become my favourite mind mapping app. I used to use apps like Xmind but Whimsical is much nicer and beautiful to use. I tried the mind mapping feature in Clickup but it doesn't compare at all to Whimsical. This is so much easier to use.

Cons

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it. The only confusing thing with it is you can't "delete" mind maps.

Reasons for Switching to Whimsical

I preferred something that had cloud integration so I can pickup anywhere on different devices.

Rebecca from ADZOOMA

I wish I'd found Whimsical sooner!

I am able to strategize and evolve my ideas within Whimsical and present them back to my team with ease. There's really nothing it can't do, its just a fantastic tool!

Pros

On Whimsical I am able to wireframe, mind map, plan customer journeys with such ease! I used to spend hours across multiple programs planning strategy, but with Whimsical I can do everything I need in one place. I love opening a fresh whimsical, brain dumping all my ideas and then using the flow diagram tools and wireframe features to show how my ideas will work.

Cons

I find grouping a bit fiddly sometimes, but I always manage to sort it out.

Sebastián from Homie

A platform for team design

In general I have had a good experience. This tool has been very useful especially for design projects and templates for our website.

Pros

What I like most about this program are the collaboration tools that allow teamwork without limits due to distance or schedule. In this way, any member can collaborate at any time.

Cons

What I like the least is the movement within the interface, at times it can be annoying since it makes it difficult to change templates and you can get lost if you have several projects on the work table.

Nagela from SLCo & Agency

Industry: Market Research

Beautiful and Easy to Use

Completely easy and satisfying to use. I am able to embed my board into other software - which increases the usability.

Pros

Creating mind maps, charts, and the like is a visual exercise -Whimsical has designed something so beautiful that it gets the creative juices flowing. It so easy to walk my team through the things I create in whimsical without any kind of learning curve.

Cons

Would love to see a few more features to populate my diagrams with more helpful content. For example, embedded docs or websites.

Reasons for Choosing Whimsical

Whimsical is has less of a learning curve

Honestly the best

Here's an example of one of the times Whimsical saved me: we had a super urgent fix my team needed to make with our software, but everyone kept talking in circles because there were so many different scenarios we needed to account for. I quickly put together a flowchart in Whimsical and sent it out so that everyone could get on the same page. I had to keep updating the diagram, which would have been a huge pain if I were creating a file in Sketch, then exporting it and emailing out each version to everyone. But with Whimsical, I could make all the changes I wanted and anyone with the link could see the latest changes in real time. It made everything so much smoother.

Pros

I rarely get this excited about a product, but Whimsical changed my daily workflow. It is so easy to create easy, elegant diagrams and wireframes. And it's even easier to share - just send anyone a link and they'll be able to access the latest version of what you're working on.

Cons

I can only think of really minor things, like when I'm trying to comment on someone's diagram, some of the elements are not eligible to have comments added to them (like arrows and text).

Thang from Oura

Intuitive drawing tool for software design

We are a team of ~ 10 members work along other teams to do software development. Obviously we need drawing tool to share and publish idea and proposal to other. Whimsical has ended our search for the drawing tool.

Pros

The best drawing tool I ever used for solution design. Everything is perfect from UI/UX to functionality. I can create flow charts and share with colleagues easily and even collaborate on them in real time.

Cons

There is nothing I don't like from Whimsical. In fact I never look back to older tool once I got the taste of the tool.

Whimsical is whimsical

It's a great product, but there are free options (draw.io) that get job done. I would only recommend if your team has wiggle room in the budget.

Pros

As a lover of flowcharts, this product blew me away. It's overflowing with features that facilitate diagrams, mind maps, and prototypes too. As a PM, I can make very detailed prototypes for smaller tasks and not even need to request formal wireframes from our Design team! Also great for documenting how stuff works in your business. Really helped me get onboarded quickly. A visual-learner's delight.

Cons

There are some really small but hyper annoying nuisances. 1) the text options are way too small. I have to strain my eyes just to see the XXL text. 2) Pasting can be frustrating because the pasted image always appears in the same spot, rather than where I'm working. I have to scroll "miles" to find the thing that I pasted just to drag it to the relevant portion of my diagram,

Volodymyr from The APP Solutions

Well-oiled flowcharting tool

Whimsical doesn't really offer anything special but it does its job really well.

Pros

If you need to do the job nice and easy - Whimsical is a go-to tool. Within a couple of clicks you can make all the stuff you need - wireframe mock, proof of concept, diagrams to back-up your presentation, the list goes on. It is easy to get into and simple to use. It is also very good for collaborative projects.

Cons

Free trial version features are limited and the full version costs a penny. This may be a huge turn off for those who need this kind of a tool but doesn't have the budget for it.

Quick, easy, uncomplicated mockups

I've used it professionally and personally for ux design and writing practice and paid projects.

Pros

I LOOOOVE whimsical. It was my first use for ux design and so intuitive I picked it up right away. I use it for both personal use where it's easy and quick for mockups, flowcharts, wireframes, you name it, and for professional use where I can easily share with a client. I pay for the basic version for multiple boards. I find it easily is offset by my earnings. The customer support is also very responsive and friendly :)

Cons

Not being able to crop imported images bugs me. Usually this is no problem, but when you're looking to make a mockup for a pre-existing site, this can irk. Please insert this feature! It will only make me love you more.

Stephanie from Computer Software

Industry: Package/Freight Delivery

HUGE Whimsical Fan

Pros

What don't I like?! The prototyping is amazing. The sticky notes, the flowcharts, the mind maps--I literally use it all! It's also been incredible in setting up and running my very first 100% remote design sprint, and I've been able to guide the team solely in this product. That's REALLY powerful! I am so impressed. Also love that you can copy and paste elements from different file types into one another. It's so fluid and intuitive. I have not one bad thing to say. I'd recommend it to anyone!

Cons

Nothing I dislike, but perhaps one recommendation would be to allow layered file exports into programs like Figma. That would be AMAZINGGGGG!

Jon from Atlantis Technology

Create Simple, Beautiful Diagrams Very Quickly

I'm very glad to have found Whimsical. For years, I've been creating simple to moderately-complex architecture and service diagrams using Google Draw. That process has worked, but it's been tedious and unpleasant. I spend more time tinkering with the drawing to make it look good than I do thinking about what I'm diagramming. I found other applications (draw.io, LucidCharts, etc) to have a similar experience. Whimsical has been a breath of fresh air. It provides only the tools I really need, and it looks beautiful by default. It's let me "brainstorm" out diagrams very quickly, which is what I needed: to focus on architecting, not on fiddling with diagrams. The output (PNG, share link, etc) is super convenient to use, and it's a breeze to drop into slides and other documentation. Thanks for the great tool, Whimsical team!

Pros

Whimsical is super easy to learn and use, and the diagrams that it produces are beautiful. It feels like very well polished software; it's not quirky or buggy like other solutions. I LOVE the infinite zoom - we can capture an ever-expanding arena of ideas.

Cons

I haven't found anything I don't like! It's not very feature rich - but it's not supposed to be.

Stelios from University

Easy to use whiteboard software

I am very satisfied with Whimsical, it does and helps you complete your goals, it's not frustrating and the simplicity of the software functionality is pretty awesome.

Pros

it has a pretty cool notes system (love it) you can create flows and flowcharts as you like provide different themes like docs, flowcharts, mind maps, simple wireframes its support collaboration, easy to use and experiment (regarding wireframes)

Cons

some limitations on design tools maybe more custom default regarding mind-maps we need more emojis and ways to make this whiteboard fun to use

Tigran from Information Technology and Services

Quick diagram Tool

Overall I am very satisfied with this app, it's very useful to me, It has simple UI and easy to use.

Pros

It's a best software I met to make any diagram or mind map super fast using it's tools and share with others.

Cons

As I used this, only thing I didn't like in it is that this does not have any feature to export all diagram on svg or something else.

Peter from Frozen brothers Ltd

Whimsical

Whimsical is a versatile, easy-to-use platform, we use it a lot for ideation across remote teams and workers. Customer Support is brilliant.

Pros

Easy UI, easy to use across teams & remote workers, great for planning, whiteboarding and presenting.

Cons

Views/zoom cab a little finicky, direct link to the platform support centre would be a sensible addition.

Easy visual map creation tool

Great experience thus far; looking forward to continued use of Whimsical for future projects.

Pros

Whimsical has made it very easy to visually map site architecture, automation flows, and other workflows.

Cons

Collaboration in Whimsical is lacking. It would be great to work on a project simultaneously with a team member.

Collaborative visual workspace

Pros

I've used Whimsical to do wireframing and journey mapping. It's a pretty basic tool that allows you to create box and line diagrams, and I find it most helpful for mapping out sequences. It's great that you can share and collaborate with others easily on the board, and the boards appear to be pretty infinite.

Cons

I haven't had any issues thus far with Whimsical, however I've only used it for pretty basic diagramming tasks.

Amazing and simple wireframing and flowcharts

Use for flowcharts and mind mapping, for creative processes like design, both print and web.

Pros

Whimsical is possible one of the easiest to use software I've ever used. When I started using it, in under 10 minutes I'd built out an entire flow chart for a website design.

Cons

Not much to not like. It would be great if they added branding settings so I wouldn't have to insert my logo and info.

Josh from Configure One

Great for small projects

Great for collaborating and creating designs for small UX/UI projects, but the limited functionality and customization options prevent it from being used for anything outside of small projects.

Pros

The built-in components for creating UI wireframes, like select menus and radio buttons, make it incredibly easy to create wireframe designs. Sharing between multiple users makes it easy to view and collaborate on designs.

Cons

The design customization options are extremely limited and sometimes inconsistent. You only get a few color options and some things have even fewer.

Aryaman from Self Employed

Easiest Wireframing Tool

Using Whimsical is delightful since it helps in focussing on wireframes while also creating work that can be easily shared with clients. I would recommend this to everyone, unless you have a very slow machine.

Pros

The wireframing tool is extremely easy to use. It is perfect for both designers and non-designers alike. Due to its simplicity, it forces you to think at a wireframe level. Certain features like no number association with font size, rather a large-medium-small scale help focussing on the larger picture and not dive into visual design. Since its browser based, sharing wireframes with clients is also easy. To get started one gets 4 free projects, which is enough for an individual designer like myself.

Cons

Being browser based, its biggest downside is slowing down the computer. It crashes every now and then.

Jonathan from Circle with Disney

Industry: Computer Networking

Whimsical is a powerful way for teams to quickly build flow diagrams, and wireframes.

Whimsical is a powerful piece of software that has allowed our team to quickly online on product direction, UX, overall app flows, and exploring wireframes for future web projects. It is a gem.

Pros

Whimsical has a frictionless web interface for creating complex flow diagrams and wireframes. It is a great tool that allows an entire team to quickly work together to align on key deliverables, project direction, and the UX of an app or website.

Cons

Whimsical has promised future features like mindmapping and sticky notes, but they have yet to deliver on them. The things they have delivered on work very well with little lag or bugginess.

Great for global design thinking sprints

Whimsical is great for quick and spontaneous design thinking workshops and allows to facilitators to easily manage a team, to e.g. give recommendations or monitor progress.

Pros

When hosting a global sprint or hackathon post it’s don’t work. So we started using digital whiteboard applications like Whimsical for quick ideation and documentation. They allow all stakeholders to collaborate and see progress in real-time. Whimsical has also a beautiful interface.

Cons

Importing large images often causes the web app to crash. Zooming in when using The drawing pen is unfortunately not very smooth, especially on the iPsd Pro.

Zachary from Scalefast

UX made easy

Pros

I loved the setup of it. As a product manager I was able to jump right in and start making designs. It's very intuitive to use as well and didn't require me to learn a bunch of additional tools.

Cons

The price. I was only allows to have 4 boards before they started trying to charge me. In addition, exporting was forcing me to export an entire board rather than just particular elements.

Daniel from Prezi.com

Miro's little brother

Overall, it is great for quick brainstorming, collaborations, mindmapping, however, for deeper more advanced editing and boards I would rather recommend Miro.

Pros

It's very simple to use and easy to grasp how it works. This is mainly due to the feature set not being too advanced or complicated and cause of this no time is wasted training people in a company as it is pretty straightforward to use.

Cons

Text editing for me is very basic. There is only 3-4 sizes you can set your text which is very limiting. Having a free enlarging of text or using numbered scaling is really needed.

Andrew from Freelance

So easy to create wireframes

Whimsical is perfect for creating quick boards and wireframes for user interfaces. It's very good for beginners and those looking to get an idea across quickly.

Pros

Whimsical is the easiest software I've used to quickly create interfaces, offering a lot of pre-created functionality with a drag-and-drop interface. You can create quick wireframes so easily and they look super professional.

Cons

I'd like more functionality in the wireframe features, to make everything more customisable, but I know that introduces more complexity.

Easy to use and understand

We use Whimsical collaboratively to create flowcharts for teams at all levels at our organization.

Pros

I think Whimsical has the easiest UI of any flowcharting software. It's intuitive to get going on it and you don't have to think twice about making lines flow. I like it more than Lucidchart and that's saying a lot.

Cons

Every now and then I would fuss with the lines and shapes but that's all I can think of - it's for the most part very easy to use.

Leonardo from Tokenlab

Amazing tool to create mind mapping and flowchart diagrams

My experience is very positive. The user interface makes it easy to work with.

Pros

It can be used on the web, it is easy to learn and has a very good usability. The flowcharts and mind mappings can be done in very few steps.

Cons

It would be nicer if there were more options for the free version. The number of boards available for you to create is too limited.

Camille from TNW

Whimsical

Pros

I like how easy it is to zoom in on my wireframe designs. I also love how you can get a shareable link so people can see the full extent of your design, rather than just a screenshot.

Cons

I wish there were more colors available.

Altaf from Travelstop

Wireframes made easy

Pros

Creating wireframes, mockups and prototypes is so easy. I spend most of my time creating mockups – it’s easy and effortlessly.

Cons

Nothing specific. It has everything I need.

Francesco from OpenKnowledge

Amazing for fast Wireframes

Fun and easy to use software. I was only able to use it briefly.

Pros

Fast and easy to use to create basic wireframes. Integrated icon library useful to make it even faster to create clear wireframes

Cons

The limit of the free trial is a bit extreme, so I hadn't enough time to really fall in love with the software.

Great tool for building out flows

I came across Whimsical when I was looking for a tool to quickly build out several flows for a software project. I was beyond pleased to see how easy it is to use. I can't wait to try out the other features this tool offers!

Pros

This tool is super easy to use because it's so intuitive. The UI is much cleaner and pleasing to the eye compared to other tools for creating flows and wireframes.

Cons

The only complaint I have is that the free trial doesn't allow for many projects, but I totally get it - they can't just give away their product for free.

Quick and Attractive

Pros

Make putting together flows quick and easy and best of all easy to change after you've already laid it out.

Cons

Wish the free version had a better export feature.