All Squarespace Reviews

Meghan

Restaurants, 51-200 employees

Reviewed September 2019

The Best Website Builder for Simple Sites

I genuinely love this tool for creating websites. It is easy to use, cost efficient, and turns out a great end product. I have used it to make websites for photographers, restaurants, and sales businesses alike. It is so versatile and every site visitor thinks it's professionally done.

PROS

This software is easy to use, intuitive, and when you can't figure something out Support is right there for you. They have tons of how to videos and instructions that make everything pretty easy to figure out.

CONS

I dislike the spacer feature - it gets pretty annoying to use those instead of being able to snap an object to a grid and align that way. It works much like Microsoft Word in the sense that if you try to resize or adjust something, sometimes everything on the page moves.

Reason for choosing Squarespace

BentoBox is specific to restaurants - they have a wonderful product, however their set-up and pricing did not work for us. Essentially, you pay them to create the initial site and then it's up to you to edit/take care of after the fact. You pay a large set up fee and a pretty expensive monthly fee in perpetuity. We have five locations and it just wasn't cost efficient. Since I already knew how to use Squarespace and knew how to work with SEO, it was an easy, much more cost-effective switch. Bentobox is a great product, but it is pricey to maintain. As a restaurant, we have simple needs as to what people are looking for when they come to our site.

Reasons for switching to Squarespace

Our site was continually hacked, there was very little support, it was complicated to use. Our sites were outdated and I wanted to switch us to something everyone on our team, no matter their level of tech expertise, could use.

Destiny

Reviewed December 2023

Fairly Easy to Use Website Builder

Overall I like Squarespace and I will definitely continue to use it.

PROS

Squarespace is fairly easy to use. Has most fundamental features built into the platform. Great no-fuss option. It integrates with most major third-party apps as well so that's great.

CONS

Drag/drop features/offerings are not as robust as other platforms. There are a number of limitations when it comes to customizations so some coding experience might be required for any special features, etc. you might want to create.

Reason for choosing Squarespace

I'm a web designer so still use other products depending on the project, but Squarespace is a solid choice that I will definitely continue to use.

Tiffany

Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 employees

ABSOLUTELY LOVE SQUARESPACE

PROS

What I like most about squarespace is I get to choose and categorize my products as I choose to, I get to decide how I price and list my products, and I get to design my store I please.

CONS

What I like less about squarespace is that it doesn't provide help when first setting up your store. You kind of have to just figure things out for yourself.

Reason for choosing Squarespace

I chose squarespace because it was less costly then the competitors.

Evrim

Human Resources, 2-10 employees

No Support - do not buy

PROS

NOTHING AT ALL I am regretting ever getting in this tool

CONS

They do not have a 24/7 support system as claimed They just reply via email in 2 days if you are lucky, and then ghost you because they are not able to understand and solve your problem, they can jsust send you articles

Daja

Cosmetics, 1 employee

Reviewed April 2024

Squarespace for beauty biz

My experience has been fairly great with Squarespace. After 4 years, I’m satisfied as is my business.

PROS

I love that I can access templates, edit what I want, create landing pages, have an booking page and online shop all in one place.

CONS

Not much that I don’t like about Squarespace, it’s been pretty easy to catch on and build a website convenient for me and clients/customers.

Reasons for switching to Squarespace

My last website wasn’t easy to to use & had a lot of limits on what I could do.

Ashley

Design, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed May 2024

Great for basic websites but complicated for more advanced websites

PROS

Squarespace is great to get a decent basic website up and quickly. The website builder is pretty easy to learn. They have lots of templates and layouts for you to pick and choose from.

CONS

You can’t add your own brand fonts without css making it hard for basic users to maintain brand consistency. The same goes for the layouts, if you want something outside of the grid or want advanced features you have to resort to code.

Christy

Online Media, 1 employee

Good website to use

PROS

I've used squarespace for payments and website.

CONS

Nothing yet. Its been pretty good so far.

Megan

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed May 2024

Easy to create websites without code

PROS

I like that I don't have to use any coding to create professional websites.

CONS

Sometimes editing on mobile is a bit clumsy/

Ricardo

Consumer Goods, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed May 2024

Great website builder and business hosting for beginners

PROS

The tutorials and beautiful website I made easily impressed me.

CONS

I'd like having more app options to add

Joe

Legal Services, 51-200 employees

Reviewed February 2024

lots of options and functionality

overall we're happy with what it has delivered at the price point

PROS

has pertty much all the web design features and intergrations built in. 3rd party scripting allows countless more

CONS

sometimes the drag and drop interface can get a little wonky and not act how you want/expect

Used monthly for less than 12 months

Reviewed May 2024

Need a Webspace Builder?? Square space is your go to!!

PROS

very easy to setup and maintain, decent templates and nothing complicated

CONS

Although the price are very affordable there is not a free version.

Marianne

Used less than 2 years

Reviewed August 2019

Beautiful Templates but lacking in Clarity and Customer Support

The intent of this site was I thought to make it possible for anyone to easily create their own website and get it up and running quickly. I didn't get that and felt I was making compromises again and again. I started a blog on Squarespace with the intent of linking it to my website - Squarespace said it would be a seamless process - followed the instructions could never get it to happen so it's still not linked. There was a challenge with my G Suite registration when I went to renew and after days of frustration and the risk of losing my domain I found out it was something on the Squarespace side that had not been completed. Definitely not what I thought I was getting.

PROS

I am an experiential designer so my website needs to really give a potential client a feel for what I do. After looking at several products available I selected Squarespace because I felt their esthetic best fit mine. There many beautiful templates to choose from.

CONS

I'm not a web designer but have clear sense of what I want my website to look like. I thought starting with a template close to where I would like the final site to be like would make the process easier and I could get it done on my own. Not the case. Step by step instructions are lacking in information. Inserting text and content is complicated and the final results were not what I originally thought I was getting and found myself making compromises left and right. The template you choose is populated with the elements (font & images) that caught your eye but you have to remove it all to build your content.If half way through you realize as I did this might be the best way to display my images after all you have to start all over again nothing transfers.

Reason for choosing Squarespace

Squarespace looked more sophisticated. The Squarespace templates looked closer to what I wanted for my finished look. For me to get to the same place on WIX or Wordpress it was, it appeared, to be more work for me. I did trials on both but really wasn't that excited by what was possible but the directions and steps were much easier to follow.

Kael

Environmental Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed October 2019

The best website builder for lightweight needs and support

Overall, Squarespace has saved me a great deal of time managing the website and keeping it updated and current. It hasn't been without its headaches but it's definitely nice to be able to leave it sit for a period of time without worrying about technical difficulties. I used WordPress in the past and it's much, much easier. The major downside is your site will look Squarespace-y. All Squarespace sites have a certain modern styling and it's difficult to give it a unique look but that's the price we pay for simplicity.

PROS

The ease of creating and managing the website are its strongest suite. There is definitely a learning curve and not everything is intuitive out of the box. However, once you get through the quirks it can save substantial amounts of time creating content and maintaining the site into the future. It takes a lot of complexity out of website creation. It's a major relief to not have to worry about updating plugins and hoping something doesn't break. It's mobile friendly out of the box and much easier to handle things like image galleries or even selling products.

CONS

Every website must be on its own plan. No bundles or creating multiple websites on the same server. Choosing a template upfront can be tricky because it's hard to foresee what capabilities you'll need down the line and each template has its own abilities and quirks. You can always change the template but that often requires substantial reworking of the content. Also, you must work with the confines of what Squarespace can do. If you're trying to do something relatively complicated you're likely to run into roadblocks and limitations and you'll be stuck doing it the "Squarespace way" or not at all.

Reason for choosing Squarespace

Felt it would be the easiest overall in terms of needed features while balancing overall simplicity.

Reasons for switching to Squarespace

Updating plugins and the theme was tedious and could cause unknown headaches. Mobile support was trickier. Squarespace was much easier for non-IT people to update and contribute.

1 employee

Reviewed January 2020

A beautiful website, tailored to you

I have a beautiful, functional website to direct clients to. It has a blog, a shop where they can purchase items and much more. The site allows me to capture visitor information, make sales and create first interactions with me and my services. It allows me to have a "home base" from which I launch all of my projects and ideas. I have had Squarespace for several years now and never plan to change--it's really that good! I have experimented with other providers but never found anything so well crafted and easy to use.

PROS

Squarespace allows you to select a plan that fits your needs. You can choose plans with unlimited pages, commerce options and much more. I love that it's made to be user friendly and there is no coding required (you can code as an advanced option but it's really not at all needed since they offer you everything). You can add all kinds of features to webpages, like forms, surveys, images and much more just by adding elements they call "blocks". This makes it very easy to customize the website to look, feel and operate just like you would like. If you previously couldn't realize your website dreams due to a lack of technical know-how, you can use Squarespace to design like a pro.

CONS

Sometimes it can be slightly unintuitive as to where to find something, so it takes me a few extra minutes to find out where I can tweak a specific setting. Customer support is excellent and fast to respond but only by email or chat, not by phone. You do have to upgrade to a higher plan for some features, like abandoned cart recovery at checkout, for example; however, for the value they offer, I think all the upgrades are worth the cost.

Reason for choosing Squarespace

Wordpress is effective but I found it much harder to design things when I have tried it out. Wix doesn't look as professional as Squarespace and has many fewer functionalities.

Bridget

Construction, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2020

You get what you pay for

After trying multiple free website building options, I finally relented and tried out the demo version on Squarespace to see what the learning curve would be like, and if it would be worthwhile ot go the paid route for a website. The answer was a resounding yes, and I've subsequently built 3 more sites with them since our first one. I tell every new business owner starting out, check out squarespace, save yourself the headace of the free platforms that limit creativity, and watch your business grow by the day.

PROS

Ease of use Easing learning curve layout options customizations options sleek templates quick onboarding

CONS

Towards the beginning of my experience with Squarespace, I needed some customer sesrvice and the process to find where I could go for help was not easy. This was back in 2017 however, so I'm not sure if that process has improved since then (I'd like to think so!)

Reason for choosing Squarespace

Because after the demo phase where you can edit a template and build your website, my site was perfect and ready to roll out. Easiest business decision we've ever made.

Reasons for switching to Squarespace

Because wix was limited in options, impossible to get customer service help with, and the learning curve was painful.

Elizabeth

Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2021

Easy to Customize

Using Squarespace to relaunch our website was a time consuming process, but the system made it as easy as it could be. Someone with little web design experience can make a beautiful website and concern themselves more with the content than the design. There was a bit of a learning curve, but after trial and error we were able to navigate the system and learn as we designed new pages.

PROS

The drag and drop features of the page designs were easy to navigate and customize. When deciding what pages to include in our rebranded website, functionality was our number one concern; we wanted to be sure our current and future customers could navigate our site easily and find what they were looking for. It is great to be able to adjust and customize pieces any time instead of having to wait for a developer to create a page for us.

CONS

The forms can be finicky and sometimes don't work for users. Because there isn't a customer service rep with onboarding it can be difficult to navigate troubleshooting. Without much coding knowledge it can be difficult to customize the size of the header for the entire website, and I wish you could chose your own fonts.

Reason for choosing Squarespace

The cost and the ease of use were very important in our decision making process.

Reasons for switching to Squarespace

Our old website was hard to customize, hard to edit, and even harder to navigate as an end-user. We had over 10 unnecessary pages and duplicative navigation points. Our goal with a new website was to be able to more easily edit the site, keep people informed, and to freshen the look. We were able to accomplish all of these goals with the new system in Squarespace. We were also able to bring over our School Store for spirit wear and other parent led fundraisers, rather than our parent association having a completely separate site.

Erin

Broadcast Media, 2-10 employees

Reviewed May 2021

A Novice Can Do It

I've had a great experience with Squarespace. I'm currently going through a website redesign. I utilized their "matchmaking service" to try and find a designer and thought it was the most efficient system. It's like online dating. You fill out a form, which is like your profile, stating what you want. You get matched up with several designers. From those you "swipe right" on five. Then it becomes up to those five to court you by sending you an email, reaching out to jump on a Zoom and you take your relationship from there. I feel like I scored. I am enjoying working with my designer. She's so knowledgeable and she understands what I'm trying to accomplish. I cannot wait for my new site to deploy.

PROS

For the most part, anything I've tried to create on Squarespace is relatively easy. If I had questions, I was able to find a YouTube tutorial to figure it out. The sites look professional on both desktop and mobile and don't break the bank to create. You can also make your site transactional which is nice and the fees involved are reasonable.

CONS

I am not a tech savvy person so some of the functionality requires an in-depth online lesson to recreate something I've seen, however, it is all figureoutable.

Reason for choosing Squarespace

I liked the perceived ease of use and portfolio of websites I saw that were built on a Squarespace platform. Also Shopify didn't really make sense since my site is more than just a store, I'm pretty copy heavy which Squarespace lends to better.

Reasons for switching to Squarespace

I was tired of updating all of the plugins. It was a nuisance.

Jeremy

Media Production, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2021

Easy to Use But Often Limited

I had to launch a website—with scheduling and services—in a day, and Squarespace did not disappoint. I was able to do this quickly and easily, with little reference to the user guide. When it came time to launch my own site, I carefully researched and compared Squarespace to other all-in-one solutions, and it came out on top. Most other solutions required more work to build, and it was easy to "break" their templates. It's a real challenge to make a Squarespace template look bad. That being said, there are times where you want to change the color of a header, for example, and you find this is simply not possible. You then have to go on a Google search and find the hidden CSS code for that style and paste it into the custom code window. And most of the time, it doesn't work. So I would like to see them make changes colours more intuitive and easier to do. Another thing to know: you will likely have to pay to get a feature you need, at some point. I needed to have a pop-up email subscription form, and I had to upgrade to "Business" for that. So make sure you scan the features before buying.

PROS

The best thing about Squarespace is that you can launch a simple website in a few hours; grab a template, tweak to taste, and go. The competitors still tend to need direct coding to make them look good, but not with Squarespace. The templates are tasteful and generally easy to edit, plus there is a rich backend with tons of analytical tools and e-commerce features for when you're ready to sell. The website editor is truly WYSIWG (What You See Is What You Get) and adding sections is as easy as a click.

CONS

Squarespace's templates look nice, but there are surprisingly few of them. I've built several sites with Squarespace, but I always grab the same podcasting template because everything else it way too specific: restaurant! Vlogger! Fashion! But precious little for general-purpose sites, with a minuscule selection for a company that's been at this for over 10 years. The WYSIWG editor can be extremely annoying as well, constantly digging into to floating menus just to make simple edits, and it's unclear where things reside sometimes. It's hard to escape the feeling that there has to be a better way. But it is still easy to use.

Reason for choosing Squarespace

Squarespace required the least custom-coding and its templates are the cleanest and hardest to break. I can deploy quickly and add features as I go along.

Reasons for switching to Squarespace

Designing and maintaining my own website demanded too much of my time, and Wordpress has become a bloated, unsafe platform. I needed a all-in-one solution, and Squarespace was the best bet for me.

Kymberli