• Pros

• "Zenefits is so easy to use and has saved us so much time."

• "I like that it gets the job done, it's user friendly, and it's relatively intuitive and is easy to use. "

• "It's easy to navigate and I like the look of it. The insurance set-up is VERY easy to use and always quick. "

• Cons

• "While the product is great, their customer support could use some work. Sometimes even reports of critical issues can be met with delayed responses (may very from organization to organization)."

• "Some features of the product still require some admin work. It makes a great user interface but not the backend filing, compliance testing, etc that would eliminate some admin work."

• "Zenefits reporting has gotten better, but still has some room for improvement. Additionally, they could do a better job with year-end comp process/reporting."

Browse Zenefits Reviews

Shae from nFocus Solutions

Seamless low-cost solution for small to mid-sized companies that kills busy work

-Paperless onboarding/offboarding to support a remote workforce -Integrations with existing ATS, removing the needs for duplicate data entry -Digital document storage, allowing us to digitize all employee files. No more paper! -Time off tracking: Automatic rating to managers for review and approval of all time off requests while keeping the HR team aware of team schedules. Transparent reporting to have conversations with employees regarding the time off trends (% of unplanned versus planned time off). Time off solution also supports Prop 206 mandated sick leave. -Health insurance platform that allows for the execution of open enrollment, qualifying life events and new hire enrollments for all lines of coverage (med, dent, vision, life and disability). HSA app built in to allow employees to review available balances and submit out of pocket expenses. -ACA compliance: Built into existing subscription model that allows for ACA reporting, submission to IRS and 1094/1095 creation without the need for an accountant or an expensive solution. -Business intelligence: Real-time standard and customized reporting. I use this solution heavily as a federal contractor to execute our annual affirmative action reporting.

Pros

With a solution like Zenefits, I have managed to reduce the HR budget year-over-year while going 100% paperless. The integration with our applicant tracking system allows me to push data seamlessly from my mobile device directly to Zenefits to extend an offer, wherever, whenever. I am no longer chained to the constraints of my desk, which is critical for an HR team of one. Easily the most comprehensive solution in the market (at this price point) that addresses onboarding/offboarding, automated and customized email triggers to employees, time and attendance, insurance, aca compliance, reporting (standard and custom) and a multitude of integrations. Since becoming a client over 2 years ago, I have gone to market year-over-year, and haven't found a solution that is comparable. Zenefits kills the busy work and allows me to dedicate time to our employees and driving meaningful initiatives, restructuring the experience with HR to being a partnership versus an administrative burden.

Cons

I would love it if the custom email triggers were built out with greater functionality. Right now I highly utilize this tool but I see the opportunity for additional growth. The site should have a support number listed in the event of an outage. Right now you can only access support if you are logged into the dashboard.

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

Best product year-over-year when I go to market. Best in terms of price point and capabilities.

Tracy from L&E Research, Inc.

Industry: Market Research

Long time user of Zenefits

Overall it's been super positive. Mistakes are always made, but Zenefits tries to rectify and solve problems instead of throwing their hands up and saying it's too hard.

Pros

What makes Zenefits most valuable to our business is the ease of onboarding new people and providing a 1 stop place for my HR department that is completely in the cloud and no need for reams of paper to be wasted. The PTO calendar and tracking is invaluable as well.

Cons

Zenefits started as a Benefits company with an HR platform, but has pivoted to providing Payroll as it's core business with the other add-ons. There is still some room for improvement on the payroll side and how to handle the customer service side of this.

Reasons for Switching to Zenefits

All inquiries from my company (all 250 of them) had to go through my HR department, no matter what the issue was. It's was not a good long term solution.

Doug from Cyber Ninjas

Awesome Software - Absolutely Awful Support

Gusto is by far the best payroll, and even if you go with Zenefits I suggest you use them for payroll. Do not let Zenefits convince you to switch over. Pretty much only their sales people are responsive/friendly and as soon as you pay, they disappear. If you are big enough to go with Workday, go with them (IIRC they require 12 employees). BambooHR has a decent option, but watch for the hidden fees. They're not really upfront on all the costs, and their stuff is complicated enough they require you to go through training to use it. I am REALLY hopeful that new management at Zenefits will finally clean things up, or Gusto will enter the full market of Zenefits and put them out of business. Gusto support is awesome, just don't leave Gusto in the middle of the year. They have a policy that you can't come back in the same year.

Pros

For a small business there is not anyone cheaper than Zenefits and they have much greater integration and overall HR flow management than pretty much anyone I could find. When everything works, Zenefits is a beautiful thing.

Cons

Zenefits support is absolutely horrible. If there was ANY competitor that was anywhere close to having what they have at anywhere near their cost, I would have left by now. Support makes me downright angry on a regular basis. They don't read your questions and try to answer a different question, they take two or more days to respond (and there is no phone support), they tell you they'll call you back and do not, they give you wrong information over and over again. Almost no one who works there has any clue what they are doing, and their software messes up sometimes. The combination of the two has been a nightmare. I am constantly wondering if I'm actually saving time by using them, or if all the time I save is eating up with my many hours of arguing with support.

Sarah from StringCan

Love it, will stick with them long term

Pros

Functionality is great, reporting is spot on, easy to implement, custom fields, off cycle, HR education platform.

Cons

Support is super slow right now, so hopefully they can keep scaling this.

Jennifer from TableUp

Life Saver

Time Saved! Compliance is always taken care of...not much to worry about.

Pros

Zenefits was a life saver for me! Everything was done manually before Zenefits so the amount of time is saved was amazing. The ease of use is incredible and I love the reporting capabilities.

Cons

Support response can be slow, especially for tax items

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

price, ease of use and reporting

Reasons for Switching to Zenefits

Needed something to do not only payroll but also filings, payments, compliance + all other HR and benefits admin.

User friendly solution, good experience overall

We were able to get a good grasp of our employee timekeeping, and it saved us a lot of time processing payroll each week.

Pros

I liked how easy it was to manage payroll. I also really appreciated all of the resources for HR handbooks, job descriptions, performance reviews, etc. Customer service was great, and really flexible with some of my out of the box requests. Having our employees clock in via our ipad app was handy. The mobile features were rough at first, but are coming around nicely.

Cons

The templates for new contractors and new hires were rather lackluster. It was also a little clunky and almost overly simplistic to pay contractors. Tax prep wasn't the smoothest.

Reasons for Switching to Zenefits

Easier to navigate and manage on the go. Pricing.

Response from Zenefits

Replied March 2020

Thanks for your review. We appreciate your feedback.

David from Fidalgo Coffee Roasters

Great Sales Department but not backed up by Service or Software

I love the onboarding and sales process. Every person I talk with at Zenefits is pleasant and understanding. Whoever is in charge of the software development and customer service systems should be fired. In order to get a question answered one has to submit to a complex matrix of categories and subjects. I rarely could find the particular category that I needed. Tax Services are a joke. I just received an email on Feb 16 2021 for a quick question that I had on May 7th of 2020. If you have any need for any changes that require a human, find a different way.

Pros

Timekeeping is accurate. The time-off request and approval process works great. Like the PTO Calendar. Every task could be performed even if some were clunky.

Cons

Navigation is not intuitive and few improvements over 2 years. There were bugs when working with state taxes (for WA). Claimed integration with Quickbooks Desktop is flat out lies. Integration with Quickbooks Online is weak at best. DON'T TRUST Zenefits to make changes to your payroll tax filings. Will take 6+ months to get a response.

Reasons for Switching to Zenefits

Wanted a more integrated system. After 2 years of using Zenefits, I've switched back to Intuit Payroll. Feels so good and 1/2 the work.

Turn-key payroll and benefits solution for start-ups

Over, I would highly recommend Zenefits for companies that are looking for a simple way to manage their HR needs.

Pros

Very simple and intuitive interface. Makes managing HR, payroll, and benefits easy.

Cons

Could have more seamless integration of 3rd party healthcare providers.

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

History of using Zenefits for over 3 years with no problems.

Richard from Plannuh, Inc.

Payroll is hard

Overall very good, but as I mention above, payroll is tricky, and CRITICAL! I had some stressful moments with payroll, but once it is set up it is very easy to administer.

Pros

i like the self-service aspect access for my employees and using Zenefits for onboarding.

Cons

Payroll admin is a hard, specialized topic. I could have used a little more hand-holding in getting payroll up and running.

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

Better feature-price value combination and easier employee access

robbie from Physx Promotions

No customer service at all

I wish I knew about the way they handle customer service before changing over.

Pros

The software is great, but if you have a problem forget about it! You're screwed. They only talk by appointment and on their time.

Cons

If you have a problem forget about it! You're screwed. They only talk by appointment and on their time.

Reasons for Switching to Zenefits

Didnt have the functions I was looking for. Hr specifically.

Response from Zenefits

Replied May 2020

Thank you for your note, Robbie - I am so sorry our customer service didn't live up to your expectations. I have asked our AE & CE team to reach out to your directly to see if we can help solve any issues you may have, but in the interim please feel free to reach out to me directly at rob.stevenson@zenefits.com and I will do my best to assist you. Stay safe!

Stanley from BlueSun Technologies, Inc.

Non-existent Customer Service

I signed up with Zenefits to help us streamline some of our HR/OnBoarding processes, but it ended up being a mistake. Thank God that there are many competitors out there that can do a better job. I'd rather pay more.

Pros

I really liked the platform when we first signed up with them in 2017 where they really cared about their customer service. Today, one word to describe their customer service is "DISAPPOINTING."

Cons

We are 2021 and Zenefits as practically No Customer Service. However, the billing department is still working. There is no way to make payment changes to your own account settings because they don't offer it as an option. Who does that?

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

At the time, the company's customer service was decent.

User friendly!!

Wonderful overall, would definitely recommend

Pros

I love how incredibly user friendly zenefits is for the staff and management. The convenience of the app is a big bonus too.

Cons

Wish there was more customization available

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

Had a better overall experience with the transition to zenefits

BZ from Internet Archive

Industry: Libraries

Zenefits - Easy Peasy

This is a great software for a distributed workforce. We have employees in different 20 states and 40 different locations. Zenefits makes it easy for us.

Pros

This software is so easy to use for both the employees and the HR team. Everything is simple and straightforward, no convoluted quirky tricks needed to enter information. Hiring and onboarding is super easy. Open enrollment is super easy. Payroll is super easy. PTO management is super easy.

Cons

There are some tie in products that still need some work.

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

The benefits management system and the easy hiring ability were the original reason. In the end, it was the employee experience that made the difference - good mobile product.

Reasons for Switching to Zenefits

Needed an integrated solution.

Sandy from Enfusion

User Friendly and Intuitive

The efficiency of Zenefits when it comes to onboarding is a huge timesaver. We're able to send employees key information they need before and after they start working with us with no manual work. I cut down on a few hours of work per week with this feature!

Pros

Zenefits is super simple to learn how to use, both for Admins and for Employees. My employees love being able to use the software for benefits enrollment, time off, and other requests. It's easy to teach someone how to use it because honestly, I don't really have to--the interface is really simple and easy to understand. Saves me a ton of time as an HR professional!

Cons

The Time Off reporting could be more robust, but this will come with time. As our company grows we're looking to pull more quick reports on PTO accrual and other balances, and some of the values we're looking for aren't readily available. There have been some changes in this area though, so the developers recognize how the system should be improved.

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

The cost of Zenefits and the intuitive user interface sold us the most. We felt like we got the most value with the best user experience for our employees. The optional integrations were also a huge plus for us, like our 401(k) provider.

Shae from nFocus Solutions

Pros

Cons

I wish the performance management module was baked into the subscription versus an add-on cost. The transition to a new brokerage, OneDigital, has come with its challenges, but I appreciate that the leadership teams both with Zenefits and OneDigital have been willing to personally speak with me to determine how gaps can be bridged to improve my experience as the employer.

Mike from James Publishing

Industry: Publishing

Feature-Packed HR Platform

Pros

At our small company, we use Zenefits for basic HR administration like onboarding and enrolling employees in health benefits. It has saved us a lot of time over the past couple of years, particularly with the elimination of paper forms and the fact that it communicates with our healthcare provider. There are a lot of features on the platform and more seem to pop up every few weeks. The recent redesign has also made things a little easier for both administrators and employees. Our staff members also like the Time Off functionality in the system, whereby they can submit vacation or work-from-home requests and managers can then easily approve them directly from an email notification. Recently, the activation of the ClubZen area has given us a chance to interact with other Zenefits customers and provide direct feedback to the Zenefits team, which is an interesting idea and one that gives us a sense of belonging to the community at large. Monetarily speaking, we also think that the system is a great value for the price, even if we don't necessarily use every single feature available to us with our subscription.

Cons

The platform itself works well for the most part, though occasionally I'll run into areas where setting up a policy or enabling a feature seems a little esoteric and not too straightforward. Zenefits has also been working hard to improve their customer service, which has been a sore point for quite a few customers in the past. For this year's open enrollment, for example, I had to specifically reach out to the customer service team to get the process started, and was bounced around a little bit before landing with a benefits advisor. However, things were smooth after that. I think if these factors can be improved, the system will be really great.

Lauren from French Broad Chocolates

Zenefits Review - French Broad Chocolates

It would be great if there were a way to require that employees enter bank account information and disable the paper check option all together. I believe this is legal in North Carolina, where we are located, as long as the employee receives a pay stub. It would also be amazing if there were a built in team communication portal. We currently use GSuite to build Groups which can encompass non-Gmail email addresses, as well as HotSchedules. It is a bit difficult to always be adding folks' emails to so many different systems. If Zenefits could track employee reviews based on their position/wage changes, that would also be amazing! That's all for now.

Pros

The aesthetic of the site is nice. The overall idea of employee/administrator shared duties is nice. The onboarding process is almost as efficient as I think it could be and the insurance function works pretty well with some exceptions. The multiple integrations with other software are also vast and offer many options for integration.

Cons

Does not integrate with QB Manufacturing Edition. Does not offer multiple job roles/pay rates (this keeps us from further exploring any timekeeping or alternative payroll integration). Org chart does not allow for multiple owners/CEOs. Does not allow for tracking of certifications or training for employees. Insurance deductions aren't correct after 2 fixes...still waiting on support for this. There is no general alert system upon logging in, as there was on the old platform. I-9 verification does not require employees to upload enough documentation. i.e. they can upload a driver license and not the 2nd form of ID, so when I receive the request to verify, there is only one form of ID there and I have to chase them down for the 2nd. If they do go into Zenefits to upload another form of ID, it is difficult to navigate.

Sean from Minkin Management Inc.

Easy and Convenient

Very positive. I have never used an outside service for basic HR functions before, but was pleasantly surprised at how much work Zenefits saves me by letting employees enter their own info.

Pros

Easy to use - Managers can access/input/share the info they need, employees can fill out their own info which saves HR a lot of work. Customer Service can be contacted easily. Reports/Info can be accessed easily. Reminders are emailed to you if any necessary information is missing.

Cons

I believe Zenefits does not have the ability to pay third party garnishments directly.

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

I was not employed here at the time of the switch.

Reasons for Switching to Zenefits

I was not employed here at the time of the switch.

Easy-to-use software takes the pain out of PeopleOps

I was thrilled to join a company that had already implemented Zenefits, because the product is dynamic and nimble, fitting our needs. We have been able to use many features, including benefits enrollment, payroll, reporting, integrations with our systems, onboarding, time and attendance and more. Whenever we've had a question we've been able to find the answer via the trainings provided, or by reaching out to the support team. We've also been impressed with features that Zenefits rolled out related to COVID 19 (like the PPP loan estimator, and Truework for health checks. It would be very painful to not have the tool - highly recommended for small and medium sized businesses.

Pros

Zenefits is easy to implement and to use. Our team members rarely need any help with the product - it is clear what it can do and how it needs to get done. I appreciate that Zenefits allows us to integrate so many products in one spot (our ATS, learning management and performance management systems all have links back to Zenefits) and that it gets so much done for us. During COVID-19, we've onboarded 100 new employees in a virtual only setting, and much of the ease has been due to how much work Zenefits automates for us.

Cons

Sometimes configuration of payroll or benefits can feel tricky - however, my experience with it has been better in Zenefits than other platforms.

Joy from URBAN DEVELOPMENT PARTNERS

Zenefits makes my job so much easier!!

Zenefits streamlined and Simplified our HR! As the only HR person, Zenefits allows me to support all of our employees as if they had an entire HR department at their disposal. The online portal streamlines my HR management and provides the employees with 24 hour access to HR info. Zenefits provides EVERYTHING we need in one intuitive online portal... it handles the entire employee lifespan - from offer letters, hiring, onboarding, payroll, benefits administration, and termination.

Pros

My favorite feature is the hiring process - it allows the employee to handle the data entry to start their employee folder and upload their I-9 verification docs and all I have to do is cross verify the documents on their first day. So streamlined and private - for both employee and HR.

Cons

Little to no phone support available for user issues. Online live chat and email are main access to customer support. Can be frustrating when you're in a time sensitive pinch.

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

The streamlined all-in-one features of Zenefits allowed us to drop outside consultants and service providers. It also significantly reduced internal hours spent on HR data entry and overall employee HR management. This was a huge ROI in terms of the money and time we saved.

Barbara from Stepworks Recovery Centers

Giving credit where credit is due!

Love the ease of use of Zenefits and it's user friendliness.

Pros

I love to give credit where credit is due. I have suggested to my HR peers the ease of using Zenefits several times. Our company chose Zenefits to be the HR/Payroll/Benefits management system for our fast growing company because we needed to automate and help employees self administer routine HR related tasks and help us manage this without having to add new FTEs to our HR dept functions. Our [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] did an analytical review of several vendors and Zenefits was by far the most comprehensive at the right price point that met all of our criteria. Going with Zenefits met our objectives and has allowed us to grow rapidly without consuming the company with manual HR/Payroll/Benefits administration. As with ANY HR platform, there are always items you would like to improve or change and Zenefits is always doing that and looking for feedback.

Cons

Customer service is slow to respond. The time card page often freezes up. There needs to be a way to add an additional manager. Need a disciplinary app.

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

The decision was made before I joined the company.

Billy from Auto Care Association

Win-win-win

Pros

Zenefits offers multiple HR processes in one system in a very user-friendly format. When we consolidated payroll, on-boarding, time tracking, FSA, and benefits admin, in one system, we saved time and paid less than what we were paying for all of the other systems combined. The ease of use of the system is really the special sauce though. It ensures the end-user keeps their individual information up-to-date.

Cons

Customer support could be better. When we first joined we were able to pay for a premium support package but that option is no longer available. Wait times have been long lately.

Teresa from Child Development Center

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Zenefits has been great for our company!

Pros

Zenefits has been a great way for a small business, like us, to ease into technology. It has really great and helpful tools, the cost is far less than alternative options, and their customer support is usually excellent. It has helped cut down benefits paperwork tremendously, kept us ACA compliant, streamlined our hiring process, and we were able to customize other areas (such as documents) to help us track policies & trainings. We're still finding ways to be able to customize it to work for our company. So with all of the options we use and new ways we are able to customize it, the cost continues to go down once it's all factored into the equation.

Cons

Zenefits is a fast moving company, so sometimes changes come fast and furious. They usually are good changes, so that helps ease the burden. However, sometimes it can feel like I just learned how to use something and then it changes. But I guess that's also just the new normal. Other than lots of changes, I really don't have a lot of cons. When I come across issues, I contact a customer service rep and things are usually taken care of. I'm sure there are little things I would tweak here and there, but nothing significant that would make me not recommend using this product.

Kate from American Custom Contractors

Excellent HR platform for growing companies

We are able to manage Benefits, Payroll, Performance Management, Time Off Requests, and Paperwork all from one system.

Pros

This program ties together most of our HR needs into one platform, making it easier for HR staff and employees to access the information they need. We process our payroll through Zenefits and they offered some 401k third party company options, which allows those benefits to be seamlessly integrated.

Cons

Support can be difficult to get online at times. They have a chat feature, which is most convenient for me as an administrator, but the wait times can be long or the chat request may be converted over to an email. This is a problem I have noticed over the past 3-4 months.

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

Ability to integrate many third party options.

Otto from Bohouse Group

21 days and counting for customer support RE: Tax issue

Pros

The software is comprehensive and allows us to make one purchase for everything we need. The price is right and fair

Cons

We had no cons until recently when we submitted a support request to the tax department. Some state taxes went unpaid by Zenefits Payroll. State governments give a very short period of time before they begin levying 10% + interest. (In our case we had 10 days to rectify the issue or send a response). So far we are 21 days into our support request and have not received any response other than the initial confirmation of receipt. We followed up 8 business days in, and were met with silence. This will likely be a the reason we change software in 2021.

Zenefits was comprehensive

Reasons for Switching to Zenefits

Zenefits was comprehensive and offered both HR and payroll aspects

Venugopal from Max Life Insurance Company Limited

With the introduction of Zenefits!! Get most of your HR Problems Released!!!!

Pros

In today’s life, a very big problem that big companies are facing is that HR is not manageable. I have seen a lot of companies that are facing this problem extremely. So, to overcome these barriers and make the flow smooth a brilliant software had been launched named: ZENEFITS!! It provides a platform that can be easily understood and can be used by an ordinary person. Great Na!! It also stores time and attendance of its users and supports Integration. One great thing is also that it provides a completely automated and electronic employees on-boarding services. It integrates all the functions of HR management under one roof only. This one is Awesome Guys!! It also supports reporting and filing data of ACA as well as it also supports customer service.

Cons

This application excludes international payrolls and having some problems in permanent storage of details of employees (Like mailing address of employees). Sometimes very awkward problems arise like managers are not able to access all the details of employees etc. Its Insurance Integration is also very bad as well as it provides only a few reports that are almost of no use. In comparison to its competitors, its prices are a little bit higher which also increases its cons. It has no performance management tools as well as it is not full HRIS, it is a basic system so use according to your needs.

Will from Bag Riders

Industry: Online Media

Good and Bad at the Same Time

Please check out what I had to say for cons. If you can live with having no number to call, or at least, not a number that take you to a human who can answer your questions, then the features and software are solid. The pricing is what you would expect based on the features.

Pros

This SaaS has tons of features and can really help a small business get over those HR hurtles, although it won't replace the most valuable assets that a in-the-flesh HR person brings. Adding their payroll integration was a big win since our company was using a 401(k) admin that required manually keying in EVERYTHING back when we used intuit for payroll. So props for that!

Cons

OKAY, hear me out. The on-boarding process is unacceptable. I wouldn't be surprised if half of their potential client base ended up BACKING-OUT during on-boarding. I mean, it takes 2-4 weeks, you'll already be looking a bill on your credit card, and to make matters worse, the only staff that have a phone number are SALES PEOPLE! You guessed it, the sales staff CAN NOT help you with your on boarding., PERIOD.

Reasons for Switching to Zenefits

It's kind of funny, but I made the leap almost entirely based on one really poor customer service experience. I was also looking for full on API (sending and receiving) communication beteen PAi and our payroll solution. If you are a PAi customer, Zenefits is good in this regard.

Response from Zenefits

Replied February 2020

Will, we appreciate your review.

Lauren from ShootProof

Easy to use HR Platform

Overall, I've enjoyed using Zenefits as both an employee and a manager. I enjoy the easy access to documents, overall design, and helpful Support team.

Pros

I've used Zenefits for almost 4 years now, and I've always enjoyed its ease of use and UI, compared with other HR portals I've used in the past (like ADP). As an employee, it's always easy for me to request time off, view other employees in the organization, view/manage benefits, file HSA claims, and more. When I started my job, I remember how easy the onboarding process was with digital signatures on documents and other important forms. I'm now a manager and enjoy the interface for each of my direct reports. As a visual person, I also enjoy the simple design and color scheme. Reaching out to the Support team is also easy - via email and requesting a call. Support agents have been helpful and friendly.

Cons

It's a bit vague about who I should contact with issues regarding my account, in the Help portal. I never know if I should I contact my HR Manager or Zenefits support directly? For example, my Zenefits HSA no longer works. I can't find info the Knowledge Base on how to get a replacement card. This will lead me to submit a support ticket, but I wish I could find the answer easier in the app. I also think an account walk-through would be nice for new users.

Response from Zenefits

Replied March 2020

Lauren, we appreciate your feedback and your business!

Kath from Look Listen

Great for small or growing companies

We have used Zenefits for almost five years now, and it's had its ups and downs but it is still a solid solution that is easy to use, offers a multitude of solutions and helps us in areas that we just do not have expertise (like payroll tax).

Pros

- If you get insurance through Zenefits, the payroll option is extremely easy. Some integrations offered for 401k. - One Digital is a vast improvement as a Broker for insurance. Easy back and forth. - HRIS interface is easy to use. - Offers many different solutions for HRIS.

Cons

- Needs more admin user privileges. Right now, there is just a superadmin and then a few lower level admins and basic users, but superadmins are the only ones that can fully oversee the performance management aspect. - More oversight in performance management software. - In performance management software, currently a 180 review is actually structured as a 90 degree. - Support needs work, but I think they are working on it. When it comes to tax payments and payroll issues, it tends to take the longest to resolve.

Diana from Community Food Share

I have used many HRIS products in my career - I love the simplicity and sophistication of Zenefits!

Pros

There is so much to love - ease of configuration, plug and play functionality, instantaneous user access, complete control of documents, transparency to users, intuitive and consistent interfaces - the back-end touches that make this system so simple to use. New hires consistently comment on the simplicity of their onboarding and the professional appearance of the documents and emails they receive through Zenefits. I also appreciate that COBRA and other compliance requirements are seamlessly handled for me. I can be an HR department of one with Zenefits as my HR Coordinator. As a small nonprofit, we look for value and long-term investment in everything we buy - this has been one of the best and most effective purchases we have made.

Cons

I haven't found anything that I don't like or that I like less than something else. I have always been pleased with the changes and improvements made and have always received great customer service in a timely manner.

Love hate relationship

Listen, I'd still recommend them. I use the app almost daily, I log on at least a few times a week. It's a necessary tool in our belt and I'd be sad to lose them.

Pros

Ok, so it's great that Zenefits centralizes all of your HR needs into one system. It's certainly easier than logging into individual insurance sites. I like that the app loads quickly and can quickly give me info on my commuter benefits balance or show me my insurance info. It's also very easy to log personal days. And it's nice seeing the structure of the company within the website -- it's great for transparency.

Cons

Sometimes the zenefits team can't answer your question -- especially when it comes to insurance brouhaha. I nearly had a meltdown this past summer when my insurance company INSISTED I wasn't covered, but zenefits insisted that I was. No one would speak to each other, and only after a month of emails and calls was it ironed out. I can't say that this is zenefits' fault -- but it was annoying how deeply unhelpful they were.

Betsy from Bachus & Schanker, LLC

Zenefits is a great piece of software making tremendous improvements all the time.

Pros

The ease of use for both employee and administrator is fantastic. New hires report an extremely pleasant onboarding experience through the platform. The automation is great and most things work extremely well. When they don't, my account manager is incredibly responsive and helpful. I absolutely love that the product team has taken several of my suggestions for improved functionality and implemented them.

Cons

Document storage doesn't work well for our use case. As a law firm, we have significant needs in this area and the current system is inadequate and cumbersome. Our need is greater than the typical use case. I preferred being able to call customer support when I had issues (outside of what my account manager handles). Submitting an issue through the portal and awaiting an email reply or call back (depending on which option is selected) is not ideal. Highly recommend a return to the prior method because it felt more available and 'real time'.

Robyn from Greenwich Education Group

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Zenefits was the first HRIS system my small company used (100 employee)

Worth taking a look at.

Pros

User friendly for both HR and employees (self-serve) --easy and intuitive to use. Incredibly easy to create customized reports off using almost any data point(s). Smooth automated benefits enrollment process. Responsive customer service and great online help tools. System doesn't go down and is fast enough to keep up with our needs.

Cons

Zenefits is still 'young' and getting its act together. Used to be free until last year and they are still evolving their pricing structure, so they may end up being too expensive for our small company. Considerable personnel turnover in past 2 years and change in how they manage some functions (for instance, they now outsource benefits management to a 3rd party company instead of managing benefits inhouse and I am not overly impressed with the current benefits mgmt. group). Limited paid time off functionality (system only allows tracking of one paid time off process and my company has 2 discrete time off policies).

Michael from Golden Link Concessionaire, LLC

Zenefits is my go-to for all things related to HR. User friendly for both adm and end-user.

As mentioned in the review...

Pros

Zenefits was a lifesaver for our growing firm. Our firm was initially looking for a way to better manager PTO requests, but as we learned more about the product offerings, we took full advantage of making Zenefits the cornerstone of our HR infrastructure. Besides PTO tracking, the most useful/time saving features are onboarding new employees and open enrollment. With the functionality Zenefits provides, these previously time consuming and scattered tasks have become easy, accurate, and seamless. Having Zenefits available as a tool has enabled our Firm to offer employees a fully transparent HR tool that can assist them in managing their HR needs.

Cons

The inability to integrate information with our payroll provider - ADP Run. When Zenefits was launched at our firm, the integration was available and very useful. While not a deal-breaker, not having that integration is a bit of a pain.

A Must-have for small businesses with employees. Gone are the days of Spreadsheets and file cabinets

As a small business with only a few employees, it REALLY helps with getting our HR stuff together.

Pros

So first off, we use zenefits on a daily basis for just about all of our HR functions. The support is great for when we've run into the very rare bug, and sales is always quick to get back to me. They regularly release new features and improve existing ones. They are also VERY receptive to user feedback and idea suggestions.

Cons

Ya know, I'm not one to nitpick, but i have run into a few small issues lately. Primarily, the issue we have now is that we've been on Zenefits for a few years now and have older "Legacy Pricing". We however do all HR tasks on Zenefits EXCEPT payroll. Well fast forward a few years, their payroll product actually looks fairly promising.... until i learned that in order to start using their Payroll service, i have to first be updated to their newer more expensive billing plan. Bah.

Micah from Digital Dental Leaders

Industry: Medical Devices

Great all-in-one HR software

Pros

Lots of tools in one software (payroll, PTO tracking, timeclock, integrations, hiring/firing, doc management, etc) Easy to setup, easy to use Integrates with our 401K, medical, etc

Cons

Support is a bit clunky Can be a little slow

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

Zenefits was the only software I could find that had all the features I mentioned above all in one package. pricing also reasonable.

Sandy from Channel Impact

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Excellent user interface for the admin and employees alike.

An easy to use interface and a tool that allows our employees to electronically and seamlessly on-board. I enjoy that the tool automatically reminds the end-users to complete tasks and keeps track of everything in one useful tool. I would like to see it become an intranet for employees to access company specific templates, content and tools.

Pros

What I like most about Zenefits is that it allows our employee on-boarding process to be completely automated and electronic. I love it!

Cons

The software I like, but being an earlier adopter, there were many growing pains within the company which caused a lot of issues with our open enrollment for two consecutive years. We recently resigned our contract and based on what we need, went with the basic (silver?) plan, which doesn't include Vacation Tracking. We don't need all of the HR support since we're a consulting services company. With that said, I'm disappointed that we weren't grandfathered in to having that tool.

Chris from H&I Automotive

Easy and affordable

Have been on this platform for 3 plus years. The software is always improving and new features are being introduced

Pros

Everything is cohesive and easy to learn and use.

Cons

Would like more pdf print options to be available

Cost and value

Reasons for Switching to Zenefits

Wanted to try the new kid on the block

Simple to use for admins & employees love it!

Pros

As Zenefits users for the past three years, we've loved how easy the solution is for onboarding new employees. Employees have made comments like "I knew the company really 'got it' when the onboarding was so simple. It also nice to manage everything in one platform - payroll, benefits, onboarding, business intelligence, etc. Without Zenefits we would likely need an additional employee just to do paperwork. Zenefits has always been responsive to our needs as an organization and our customer success manager has been extremely helpful.

Cons

We had a rough open enrollment process with the tool, but we started earlier this year and should be in better shape. Because the tool is constantly evolving, sometimes features come and go (Zenefits got rid of an in-house stock options tool they had built and so we had to switch vendors as a result).

Kelsi from Weidner Construction Services

Zenefits Review

our overall experience with zenefits has been positive. The on boarding tools offer a wide variety of options an customization that really make the initial process a lot easier.

Pros

The part that we liked most about zenefits is that it gave us one place to keep all employee documents. We also like that we could set up an employee by using the on boarding (hiring) service through zenfits which allows the employee to start their profile an also fill out needed employment documents electronically.

Cons

Initially we thought that the time card piece of zenefits was something that we were going to be able to use and would be rather handy for us. We quickly learned that Zenefits has not yet set up this module in a way that truly works for subcontracts who have to track employee's time by job number and phase code both. It can be done but takes a large amount of manual entry on the administrators part which then defeats the purpose of using such a tool.

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

we choose zenefits over bamboo because of the time card application.

Ashley from St Augustine Youth Services

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Great HRIS platform

Pros

There are many pros to Zenefits! Offer letter generation, custom fields for user specific information that needs stored, custom reports, Club Zen, the HR library and much much more! Anytime I've needed assistance customer service has been prompt and helpful. There are also tutorials and an extensive implementation period to make the end user comfortable with the system

Cons

If I had to list a negative it would be.... nothing!

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

Cost and that sales was not overly pushy when we were selecting what package/a la cart items we wanted

Response from Zenefits

Replied March 2020

Thanks you Ashley! We appreciate your business.

Kim from Insta-Cash Pawn

Zenefits has greatly streamlined our onboarding process for new hires.

I have used Capterra in my research to find different software products and have found it to be very helpful.

Pros

I like that all documents for employees can be found in one place. New hire documents, performance reviews and disciplinary actions can be accessed quickly. We also are able to keep copies of our policy manuals and employee handbooks on Zenefits for easy access by our employees.

Cons

The Zenefits platform was free to use as long as we named them as our agent of record for our healthcare benefits. Then, Zenefits changed their pricing structure about a year after we started using them. They started charging for some features that were previously free, such as ACA reporting, which was a big part of our decision to go with them to begin with. They also limited the reports we could create.

Lisa from Zen Services

Just what we needed for a complete HR solution

Pros

I like the fully integrated HR solution Zenefits provides from onboarding to time off, time and attendance, and payroll. As our company has grown, so have our needs, and Zenefit's offerings have been just what we needed each step of the way. Payroll is so simple and quick.

Cons

It closes me out after too short an amount of time. I don't have a way to put associates on leave of absence, so I have to manually adjust time off accruals. I wish the time off information was only presented in hours, never in days. Our team works 10 or 13.3 hour days, so an 8 hour day is irrelevant in our world and causes confusion. We offer a SIMPLE IRA. I wish there was an easier way to capture an associate's contribution information than having to create custom fields.

Nina from Unboxed

Manage Benefits & Time Off with Zenefits

Overall, having Zenefits is great. It's easy to integrate the time off with your Outlook calendars so everyone knows when people are out and the access to your information is easy when you need it. The mobile app is also super beneficial because if you need something on the go, it's already there and is a similar experience to the website.

Pros

What I like most about this software is that it's easy to use. Everything is super straightforward and you don't have to hunt a ton for what you need. The time off section is nice because it clearly shows you how you're using your time, including your work from home and sick time. Your benefits information, employee information, and any tax information is available right on the homepage if you need anything, which makes it a lot easier for when you're searching for the exact thing you need.

Cons

The only thing I'd really like to see improved is the link out and resources to the medical insurance and benefits. This could be due to how our company's individual insurance is set up, but I do often think there is an opportunity for more resources for the insurance!

Comprehensive HR platform, a great tool for small businesses

Zenefits keeps it simple and offers all the most common HR functionality in one easy place. Mobile and web versions are both great.

Pros

Dashboard is visually laid out and very simple to use. For employees, Zenefits offers a comprehensive, easy-to-use hub for all the important details. For employers, it is just as easy to use. Every day tasks like pulling insurance information or submitting time off are simple and painless. If you do not know where to find a certain piece of info, the intuitive layout means that a few moments of exploration can easily answer most questions. I appreciate that the layout is no-frills, because it means crucial information and functionality are easy to find and use. Mobile platform is easy to use and offers great functionality, which is an extremely beneficial aspect of the software.

Cons

I have trouble verifying my email to my account after switching emails from the personal to professional address. Luckily, this doesn't seem to be impacting my profile or making any feature more difficult, so it isn't a big issue.

James from Client Technology Solutions LLC

Very organized, neat, and easy to use!

After the initial issues with payroll, using Zenefits was very easy and streamlined our hiring process. We’ve only had to use the termination process a handful of times, but when we did, it worked flawlessly. The dashboard is very neat and organized and setup is easy as well.

Pros

This product is extremely easy to use. Everything is online, so we were able to go completely paperless. The onboarding process is extremely easy and very comprehensive. The termination process is just as easy, with only a few buttons to click and you’re done! There are constantly updates being made to the system, so it’s always rich with new features.

Cons

We initially had a bit of an issue with moving our payroll from our bank (what we initially used) to Zenefits, but once the issues were ironed out, it worked well. The new features sometimes throw you off and make you have to relearn the system, but they’re always beneficial changes, so it’s worth it.

Overall I think the HRIS is a wonderful product. I do wish that benefit forms were easier to find

Pros

Enrollment is simple, I like having one place for Associates to have most all their information, like their personal profile with contact information. We are remote company and have associates all over the nation. I think having paid time off in Zenefits is such a pro. It's very easy for me to see who has time off coming up for scheduling. It's nice housing our life insurance information as part of our offerings as well.

Cons

More options to upload documents like spreadsheet for tracking expenses for employees. We also have a company sponsored dental program and I wish I could enter that information in Zenefits as well. Would love to have all my information for my company avail in ZF for employees.

Adam from Kasota Stone

All encompassing HR Solution! TRULY - SOLUTION

Saw huge cost savings pulled together many items into a central portal. Love the mobile app for people our spread out to different locations.

Pros

The most important part is the ease of use for a complete solution. We use Onboarding, Time & Attendance, Payroll, Time Off, Benefits Admin, HSA Admin, Performance Management and the additional resources regarding HR, compliance. ITS ALL IN ONE PLACE! The convenience of having all of our HR-related items in one place for your people is priceless. We are able to run 4 companies from one portal, very effectively.

Cons

Employee support is generally handled digitally not over the phone. Most of our people prefer phone calls. However, support is very receptive and gets the job done well.

I am a huge fan of Zenefits. Their software is easy to use and makes HR management easy.

Increased efficiency and makes HR management easy--no paperwork and everything is managed electronically. I'm a huge fan.

Pros

Before I joined MAX, I did not know software like Zenefits existed. This software is intuitive, easy to use and makes employee onboarding, separation and benefits management easy to do. It completely eliminates the mounds of paper that I used to accumulate for new hires and employees. In fact, I liked it so much that I recommended it to my former employer and they are now using it as well. I also had an incredible Benefits Advisor who always seems to have an ability to answer my crazy questions with efficiency and extreme patience.

Cons

While many things about Zenefits are absolutely amazing, the benefits we currently have (we are a small company) are probably not the best option for our employee base, size and age. I believe that the change Zenefits has made to focus on software and outsource benefits to OneDigital may resolve this challenge. And we have also grown, so that should help with pricing as well.

June 2016

Katie from Boomtown

June 2016

HR automated

We started using it from the beginning of forming our company (over two years ago) and have been really pleased with the amount of features and support that Zenefits has provided. With any new company, there are usually some hiccups, but, they are always quick to fix problems and always available. We initially started out by using it as a platform before using them as our broker and haven't looked back since. We have two offices in California and Arizona and it has been really easy to onboard new employees remotely.

Pros

Speed of onboarding, new features, seamless integration to QuickBooks for payroll, price, automation of most things HR.

Cons

Doesn't handle international payroll yet (filing taxes, etc.)