• Pros

• "Love that I can create a visual for my bosses at work to see using this software, was very impressed how easy it was to pick up and go, lots of videos and help on the internet."

• "A different version of software compared to other softwares such as AutoCAD and its very nice 3D drawing in different angles of projections. I am blessed to see my great work in this software."

• "It’s free. That is the best part of this software. This has allowed me to dabble in learning the ins and outs of CAD modeling."

• Cons

• "It is very difficult to do this it takes me a lot of time to create my first Robot Simulation because there are so many details to tu put on it, but the results is amazing. "

• "I don't have much to complaint about it, but I think is good mostly for beginners and small projects."

• "it took a while to get into the software. there were a number of glitches that we needed to get through first, but once sorted, all was good"

Browse FreeCAD Reviews

James from Xerox

CAD software provides a good opportunity for rendering different models of houses and buildings.

Pros

In comparison with other AutoCad softwares,it is one of the different version software. We can make 3 D drawing through this software at different angles of projection which is is indeed the most fantastic feature. This software is used by everyone whether students or professionals but proved to be helpful to everyone.

Cons

Sometimes when we are updating modules, at that time some of the modules are not updated. So we feel that they will update in next versions of software. The learning curve of this software is quite difficult for the new users. For this sometimes some users have to take CAD classes in order to have good command on the usage of this particular software.

Michael from Arraby's

Excellent product for free

Love it. I used Pro/ENGINEER in the early 90's and it was such a wonderful leap over AutoCAD but hugely expensive. I used my outdated copy of AutoCAD for years until I discovered FreeCAD 5 or 6 years ago. Initially it was a steep learning curve but with the abundance of videos on YouTube and perseverance I am now quite adept at using it. I have designed/built a semi-automatic machine for my production and have several 3D printed tools used in that machine. FreeCAD has been a Godsend for developing and evaluating my ideas and I would definitely recommend it if you are a small business with minimal or no budget for expensive CAD software.

Pros

Price (free), functionality: solid modeling (not just a collection of lines, arc and circles) , features, (eventual) ease of use, ability to create .stl files for 3D printer. The software is parametric meaning you can adjust dimensions and update the model, ability to create assemblies.

Cons

Steep learning curve but thankfully with YouTube... I haven't looked for awhile but the documentation was lacking when I first got into it. I haven't had to use the forum for help so I can't speak to that but in searching the forum it seems to be very active with volunteers answering questions.

Free CAD software

Pros

can be oriented by user script and easy to implement automatic CAD generation.

Cons

poor and very complicated user interface. 3D surface generation can not react that you desire.

dave from djs design

Best Free 3D Tool Available

I use this software to review 3D data created by mechanical designers on commercial platforms.

Pros

Very good 3D tool and perfect for anyone who needs to review 3D models and does not own a commercially available solution. Backed by a dedicated group of skilled knowledgeable developers.

Cons

The tool has capabilities far beyond what I am currently using it for. It is somewhat difficult to learn how to perform new tasks as more focus is placed on functionality improvements at the expense of how-to documentation.

Faith from AfricaSokoni Ltd

FreeCAD

Nice some extra features that are unique but they should work on its complexity

Pros

I like the requirements for using this softwares , not too much they don't over work my PC. Building different models to come up with desired 3D/2D plans with its features is also a plus, cosidering its a free s/w this is great.

Cons

Honestly if you don't have prior experience with design s/w this one is not for beginners. Its a bit complex for beginners

SHEFALI from RWTH Aachen University

Industry: Research

Really good tool for beginners in CAD

FreeCAD has been a vital part of my work life for a year now. It has been very instrumental in my work towards my master's degree and i am quite happy with the software

Pros

I started using this software for my master thesis a year ago. With no prior knowledge of 3D designing, it was a big challenge to learn it over a matter of few days. Surprisingly FreeCAD was very helpful because of its simplicity and user friendly features. I highly recommend this software for someone who is beginning in the field

Cons

It does not seem to have some high level features which make the end product look very professional and chic. But that also comes as a consequence of user friendliness and the need to not crowd the software with complicated stuff

Seth from NFPS

Industry: Civil Engineering

FreeCAD.....IS FREE!

Easy to learn, it’s free, it’s lacking all the drafting tools you may need on a project.

Pros

The best thing about FreeCAD is, it's free. If you need a drafting tool, get this one. It’s also great to learn what CAD is, and how it can help you draft.

Cons

So the only bad thing about this software is the good thing about this software....it's free. It just doesn’t have all the tools you need.

Kemal from Lotus

Best Free Software for 3D View

Pros

FreeCAD is very practical and easy to use as a software

Cons

Needs to be improved but currently more than enough for a free software

Roger from Primus Auto Center

Industry: Architecture & Planning

FreeCAD- EXCELLENT FOR CREATING TOOLS AND PRODUCTS

DAILY USE IN CREATING FURNITURE FOR ARCHITECTURE

Pros

BEST APPLICATION FOR CREATING TOOLS, ARCHITECTURAL PROJECTS AND OBJECTS IN 2 AND 3D

Cons

NOTHING AGAINST, EXCELLENT APPLICATION, RECOMMEND

It's not Inventor, but its also free.

Great value for money (its free) I don't know if I'd use it professionally if my daily work depended on it, but as a hobbyist I love it. Don't bother looking for something else, its the best of the free ones.

Pros

This is a pretty darn intuitive parametric CAD program. I love that its open source and is maintained by a great community. The feature set is pretty robust. Sketching in 3D hasn't let me down on anything so far. The interface takes a bit to get used to, but its not a huge curve by any means. Geometric constraints work great.

Cons

Its a bit unrefined and buggy. I save often because on MacOS at least, it crashes occasionally. I've not had a problem restoring my work though.

Rahul from The University of Texas at Dallas

Best 3D editing and visualization tool

Was able to see the drawings for my Project and edit them and again render them to the 3D images.

Pros

Digital drawing has been made very easy with the use of the extensive features of the software. It helps students like me to understand the 3D drawings and their meaning in a very subtle way. One can easily learn the software and could try creating 3D images in the very first week.

Cons

The recent software that I used, requires some minimal hardware configurations to render the images. So, buy a new system or else it is not for you. The snap options sometimes is adamant and won't let you decide what point you may want to take. One of the 3D functions I think is irrelevant.

Such a nice feeling after the use of it...!

Work on this software seems to be great..!

Pros

Cons

some modules isn't it updated and It seems they are going to update in next versions of software updates.

Laura from Oracle

In my experience it's the best 2D/3D CAD software. I use this software to design electrical circuits

Pros

Its very user-friendly and on top of all its free, and also does not use too much system memory. With an average PC you can easily run multiple tasks while working on this software, without worrying about usage of system memory. The program is simple and not too much complicated and has all the great tools, so many people can take advantage and use it with more ease.

Cons

The features of this software are too limited and selection of add-ons can also be improved. But as its for free so one can live with these little flaws. But if new features can be added, it will make this software perfect for work.

If you want a free CAD program this is by far the best option. Free and simple it just works.

This software has been used to create hundreds of drawings for mocking up ideas.

Pros

This free software does not skimp on features. Everything you could even need it there for you. This software can be used by professionals, hobbiests, and students. With on going development new features are always being added and it easily runs on any system no matter old or new the system.

Cons

The interface can have a bit of a challenging learning curve. This is not the fault of this software but of all CAD software. Often times people take classes to learn CAD. This software can be easily learned but be prepared to invest some time.

blake from Hart Homes

Great program for any designer or architect!

Pros

I was skeptical about this program at first but it really grew on me. I had a bit of a learning curve learning the macros and functions, but once you re-program yourself to acclimate to this program it's really a breeze.

Cons

Only con would be that there are other programs that are performing at a little higher rate with a bit more exposure. I had to do some searching for reviews and tutorials on this product to get myself in tune with it.

Brent from town of olds

Awesome product and easy, had to research a few things but there is so much information out there

Was able to recreate my backyard and modify it and create a new kitchen awesome software would recommend to anyone

Pros

Cons

That not all the tools are that easy to find, but alot of videos and posts out there help me accomplish what I was after

Julio A from MCP 2010 Ingeniería C.A.

Great CAD software for training

The benefit is that you can work with a free license program, train your staff in the CAD environment and improve to a level that allows you to make plans and 3D models in the same way as with the CAD programs of license

Pros

What I like the most is that it has the ability to recognize the CAD environment and learn the commands. You can make a plan and complete a 3D model, for a better visualization. Additionally, new complements can be adapted, through the programming to generate added value to the works to be delivered

Cons

Because I have several years working with CAD programs, editing the elements of the drawings are not very polished and differentiation of the layers is a must because it can emphasize certain aspects more than others, especially for the plans and final 3D models

ROSA YURAIMA from PDVSA Petroleos de Venezuela S.A.

Modelling in 3D and for free

Pros

This is a software that I can use it in any computer without restriction and without paying anything, because is free and do many things that do a private software, for me is very useful because I can modeling the pipelines and see them in 3D to know if exist a trouble or mistake with the design, or we just have to implement it.

Cons

It needs to implement a set of tutorials in the official website, because in the beginning was very difficult to me to understand the processes of modeling with this software, but once I manage them everything was very easy.

Natalia from SAIC

I got this software helpful for me and it's really great, The main good thing all about it is free.

Pros

FreeCAD shows 3D drawing in different angels and projections.The most liking thing is it's being free for user. I fine everything i want to do in this software. I like its all programs which are easy to use.And this is one of the best software which work on every system instead of creating problems like some other softwares in market.

Cons

There are no cons for me but it was a little hard to know about the all programs in it .they took time and it is also obvious for every one to learn a new software after some practice it gets easier then easier..

William from DMC Technologies LLC

Industry: Graphic Design

Great place to start

Pros

That the program was Open Sourced. This is a great program to start with before dishing out hundreds of dollars on one of the BIG major CAD programs. Its compatible with .dwg files along with the Blocks and Symbols packages that are availble for download.

Cons

There are some bugs, but with the open feedback for improvement it's really not a bad program. Adding lots of new features with every update. Don't dismiss this program just because it's free.

Free!

Pros

It is an adequate program for those who just need to open the part and look at it, take a few dimensions and take the old versions on top of each other and examine the differences.

Cons

The interface must be seriously reviewed.

Cesar A from Gobierno del Distrito Capital

The best free app to model and create in 3D

Pros

It has a lot of features to manage and modelling, you haveparametric model, modular architecture, drawing sheets, rendering, robot simulation, and so many other features, you can use all or one that fits on your needs, it is very powerful and manage the models with a lot of details and precision.

Cons

For me was difficult to start using the software, because the only manual that I can find was in the main page, I think that the amount of people who works with FreeCAD is very short, and sometimes is difficult to find tutorials of explanation of how to make models.

Easy and free 3D cad software

Pros

It’s free and it’s very easy to use. And the best thing is that it runs on Mac! You can creat a 3D model from a 2D, and a 2D from a 3D.

Cons

I like everything about this software, since I never had any problem with it and it’s enough for what I need

Ana Gabriela from Corporación Venezolana de Minería

This is the perfect tool for small projects

Pros

For small design projects it is a very complete tool that helps you solve problems effectively without having to invest a penny.

Cons

It is evident that being a free software lacks modules that other programs do have, however it seems to me that I have no complaints to make.

Jean Carlos from Consejo Federal Gobierno

Perfect tool for engineering

Pros

The Path Module is awesome I can see how the mecanichals process of the cars and electricity circuits works and know how I need to add to modify some aspects make them to work betters, this module has tools for dressup, commands and modifications, very useful to modelling with precision all the processes of a machine.

Cons

In the beggining ii ts very difficult to handle, becuase you have so many tools available and you do not know where to start, but with some practice you can manage all the features easily.

Juan Carlos from Corporaciòn de Servicios del Gorbirno del Distrito Capital.

Project Management in a CAD, just awesome

Pros

The module of Assembly Project is perfect for me, because I can make a project from the beggining with all my coworkers and later modelling to know where are the failures and main limitations of our design, I can do many things with this software but this module is just awesome.

Cons

This kind of work requiere a very high level of compromise, you need a team who will be together and focus through out all the project, if the things are not like that you project will not be work well.

Xiomara Elena from Gobierno del Distrito Capital

A free option from rendering my designs

I found a free option from rendering models of houses and buildings.

Pros

As an architect I always looking for new options to see how my designs come to life, and I found it a free option with FreeCAD, because I can create my model in the software and see how buildings, houses, park and other types of construction come to life, all this with high precision and detail.

Cons

Is not as powerful as a private software so the process of rendering are always the same, and the results are always so similar.

Palesa from Blue Moon Corporate Communications

Industry: Capital Markets

having used this software a few times, i thought it was good value for money and was easy to use

Learnt how to put together floorplans in a quick and easy way

Pros

once i got into it, it was easy to use. it made making floorplans so much easy to put together, and so quick too.

Terran from Utah State University

Industry: Research

perfect for working with mesh formats

It makes it really easy to modify mesh files so that you can make adjustments to .stl files you found online for 3D printing. For free software, it's amazing!

Pros

This is the best software for working with CAD programs since it is available on all operating systems (even Linux, which is hard to come by). I love all the features it has for a completely free and open environment.

Cons

The controls can be frustrating at times. It's also a bit lacking in the amount of features. (either that, or I cannot find them!)

Luis from Sistema Integrado de Patrullaje Inteligente

Great cad software, with a steep learning curve

Overall it is a great software to have in your business it works wonders and most of all it is free, I absolutely recommend it.

Pros

FreeCAD is an amazing free software, it provides excellent tools both for designing and modelling. It's path module is really great, because you can predict the mechanics of cars which is excellent for fixing possible problems beforehand.

Cons

As with most of cad softwares you really need to spend a lot of time in learning how to use this software, it has a really steep learning curve.

Mariel Virginia from Corporacion de Servicios del Gobierno del Distrito Capital

A lot of options for me to desing in 3D

Pros

FreeCAD offers and enormous amount of options to modelling, you can do geometry, architecture, robot simulation, rendering, sketch and path modelling, all this in only one software and for free, it is just awesome because another software for pay offer less more than FreeCAD.

Cons

It is a very specialized software so you have to have previous experience working with CAD and modelling in 3D becuase all the tools are for professionals of this areas.

Raquel from Gobierno del Distrito Capital - Corporación de Servicios

Amazing robot modelling in a software

Pros

I had never think do this in a software but FreeCAD is so complete, because after to made my model I can saw how my instruments and robot come to life it is wonderful and very useful to explain processes and practice with students.

Ines from Universidad Nacional Experimental Simón Rodríguez

I can build geometry in two dimension with this software

Pros

This software is excellent for me, because it allows to skecth my designs in two dimensions before modelling and rendering, I can build and manage my objects in two dimensions which is better for me, because I can see my models pretty clear.

Cons

For me it is very difficult to do the transition from 2D to 3D because there are a lots of options that I do no manage for work in three dimensions.

Bruno from Prsc

Satisfying

Easens my work in the field

Pros

Easy to use and the fuctionalities are well illustrated. User friendly and not that complex to do your work

Cons

It has some various complex architectural techniques to execute. Some procedures require programming.

Gets the basics covered

Pros

Does what you expect from a free tool standpoint.

Cons

Just covers the basics, could use some easier tools.

Greysi N. from Centro Nacional de Tecnologia Quimica MPPCTII

Industry: Civil Engineering

An excellent option to 3D desing

Pros

I really like the high quality of the software and its philosophy to make accessible useful functionalities to CAD designers, professionals and students.

Cons

Although free access is one of its great strengths, the software has useful and quite limited tools. However, this does not prevent this software from standing out as one of the best options for simple range designs.

New User

Being a new user, I have so far enjoyed using FreeCAD. It is perfect for the small projects that I need it for.

Pros

FreeCAD has everything and more that you could ask for from a free modeling software. I needed to model a backyard project and this software has been perfect for a project that size. I have a little bit of experience with other modeling software, and FreeCAD seems to follow a similar structure making it not difficult to find what I am looking for most of the time.

Cons

I am using FreeCAD on a Mac OS. Most of the limited in-software help info is Windows specific, making it difficult because tools can be in different places. I have had to turn to the user forum for a few items which is very helpful.

Steve from Utilities

Great, Free, but . . .

Pros

It costs nothing, and provides a good route to 3d CAD work. The work flow is quite different form Autocad or Rhinoceros, but is not difficult to get to grips with and there are some good tutorials on line.

Cons

It isn't complete (e.g. there is no dimensioning readily available), and suffers from ongoing development that results in occasional crashes.

Sharaz from Ajman University

The best open source 3D parametric modelling software

Pros

Open source and freely available with no strings attached!

Cons

Nothing at all! Everything works wonderfully and the FreeCAD team works tirelessly to deliver such a fantastic piece of software.

Andres from AGS Proyectos PMO, C.A.

The learning curve is much faster with the Polygonal system.

easy and intuitive handling

Pros

The learning curve is much faster with the Polygonal system, since it is to draw in plane and to extrude. This is the main advantage of SketchUp. The use of the mouse to place and modify the polygons and to be able to give the exact measurements by means of a keyboard makes designing with this application incredibly intuitive.

Cons

The problem comes when the pieces are complex and must also be exact. We all know that to place the centers of the circles in SketchUp we must make guides that we will later erase. This begins to diminish us quickly but when we want to place the polygons in different planes and with different inclinations the issue becomes impossible.

Free CAD software that works like a charm.

It is an excellent design software and since it is free every engineer should give it a try.

Pros

It is free and comes with great tools for 2D and 3D drawing. Another feature that is great is that is not completely restricted, it can be customized and is open source.

Cons

You need to spend a lot of time getting to know the software to use it or have lots of experience with cad programs. It can crash a lot.

David from CREASYNTH

I used it to design 3D printed tools and some design prototypes

Pros

Free, and for the functionnalities that Freecad offers, it can't be beaten on this ! It's not as complet or stable as other "premium" 3D package, but for mechanical design and simple design it's great.

Cons

Curve of learning quite hard, because it's not as logicial as it seems on fisrt impressions, maybe because I'm a user of solidworks and thought it would work the same way.

Kasey from University of North Carolina at Asheville

Its great software and its free!!!

It's Freeware, and community supported, if that's something you enjoy, then this is the product for you!

Pros

...Its free??? Most CAD software costs an arm and a leg. I've played around with this software, and its really outstanding, obviously not as great as the high end software on the market, but who cares. Free beats spending hundreds of dollars and its a user supported community. You should really give this a shot, I had a blast trying to make thing to print on our school's 3D printer, and this gets you started.

Cons

Obviously, you are not going to be able to have the support and training compared to high end products, but if you are willing to put some effort into teaching yourself how this work, then you are golden.

Ryan from Buffalo

Full of Potential

Pros

Easy to use pickup and use with relatively little experience. I use this to create designs for 3D printing and have not been limited by its features.

Cons

There are multiple interfaces to perform different tasks. It is a little confusing to remember which of the options to select to achieve the particular goal.

Licex from Gobierno del Distrito Capital

A perfect drawing module

Pros

All the things I need for draw are in the drawing module of FreeCAD, I can add symbols, insert draft, add annotations, create and edit new sheets and so on, is perfect for me because all my experience of design has been made in 2D modelling and the software fits perfect for me.

My FreeCAD review

I mostly use it for my file conversion needs. It detects some important (not much) type of file extensions in the 3d industry. Since all major paid softwares have a kind of free usage option, FreeCAD has a limited user ecosystem rather than others.

Pros

FreeCAD is a free software you can design everything in 3D. This is a lightweight (not consumes PC's cappacity so much) software you can use in your projects.

Cons

The software has not sculpting feature. Besides, it has a poor interface design.

Powerful and Robust 3D CAD modeler

We use this tool for our 3D modeling needs especially in product design department.

Pros

Robot Simulation, Sketcher features are quite good. If you know python, its python in-built interpreter allows you to explore lot of things.

Cons

Interface could be improved a bit. Apart from that, its good.

Piotr from CodeExpert

Free cad is really free

This software help me to create cover for my product.

Pros

Multiple views allow to create complicated shapes and elements.

Cons

It's really free, also for commercial projects.

Very good opensource and free program

Free and open sourced.

Pros

Always updating to improve and simplify the usage. Easy to use for beginners. Can easily use what is the workbench to upload it.

Cons

There is no load analysis in it. There is no motion analysis . some workbenches is tooo heavy to work in the device.

Elbert from PJSC Slavuta Plant "Budfarfor" part of Geberit Group

cool programm

free program whit a lot of functions

Pros

cool free program for modeling 3D objects. have a lot of opportunities such as saving files in a lot of file extensions

Cons

couldn`t find any weak points, tried to open different file extensions and it works with them. really cool