• Pros

• "I love this software. It is easy to use. Gives great measurements. Allows fairly accurate job costing. And it has a ton of functions that are very useful for so many aspects of construction. "

• "Planswift makes quantity take off much easier and more effective. The ability to create files and folders helps to keep your information sorted and organized. "

• "Ease of use Template Creation Reporting Live linking to spreadsheets Formula creation for hard to get takeoff quantities"

• Cons

• "The inability to separate values on the estimating tab can be discouraging - this small inconvenience is easily corrected when transported to excel "

• "New features could come out faster, not cloud-based, needs to be able to sync with tablets. Import DPI could be higher."

• "A little more than we would like to spend on it but overall worth it. It did shut down on me once but I have not had problems since, can be slow when first starting up. "

Browse PlanSwift Reviews

Zachary from Superior Steel & Ironworkers

Best On Screen Take Off Software. Period.

Highly recommend Planswift to General Contractors and Specialty Contractors alike. Best On-Screen Take Off software available.

Pros

Ease of use, very user-friendly interface. Quickly rip takeoffs. Great reporting and customization capabilities.

Cons

One time fee may be expensive for some, but it is well worth the investment!

Trevor from Curington Contracting LLC

It's A Love/Hate Relationship

Like the title says, it's a love/hate relationship. Lots of really powerful features, but it's really outdated and lacking some modern cloud syncing features and others talked about in the Cons list.

Pros

It's extremely in-depth and you can do almost anything you can imagine. The tools to build parts and assemblies are extremely extensive and haven't found anything we can't do. Other than a handful of bids that we send out for, we estimate the entire home for each client. Every single nut, bolt, box of screws, rebar, rolls of house wrap, etc. There's nothing we can't do. The

Cons

Terrible customer service! I usually call and have to leave a message and someone might get back to me in 24-48 hours. They don't seem to know their software well either as we were able to figure out things that they said wasn't possible... Way outdated: No 4K monitor support, very old looking interface, only available for Windows. No built-in cloud syncing between computers. If there is a change in pricing, adding parts, building assemblies, etc. for a while we had to manually do this in each computer. We ended up figuring out how to utilize a cloud platform to sync up all changes to our parts and assemblies across computers and it now works now. No built-in Job file sharing. Again, we set up a cloud system using Google Drive local sync and it works well. We just can't be in the same job at the same time or it might get errors. There is no automatic association between a part in a parts list and the same part in an assembly. For instance, by default, if I update a price in the parts list it doesn't reflect that price update in any instance of the part used on an assembly. You have to use a $200 plugin that basically adds a search and replace function. Price changes on parts are not reflected in current jobs unless you manually go in and change it. We found a workaround for this though. For all of our assemblies, we were able to link the "Cost Each" back to the original part's "Cost Each" through a file path. Just a pain. I ran out of room to type so I must stop here..

Reasons for Choosing PlanSwift

We actually tried switching to STACK and it had a lot of really good modern features, but it just lacked the powerful and in-depth tools that PlanSwift has. We just couldn't build extensive assemblies and things to the detail we like with STACK. It also lacked a lot of built-in reporting features, no rounding up option built-in, limitations on exporting to Excel, etc. STACK's Support team is incredible though! And they are always adding features on almost a weekly basis. PlanSwift only does an update like once a year... It's terrible. The software looks the same and has the same tools from 10 years ago. Not much improvement since... We really hope that someday STACK will get to a point that we could switch to them. ProEst is just too pricey and weren't impressed by reviews. So we never even tried it.

Scott from FormLab Builders, Inc.

Robust Potential, glitchy programming

I've been a Planswift user for last 8 years. The program has a lot of bells and whistles with so many custom options. Its a rather incredible concept but some of the tools like hip/valley tool, comparative overlay and auto count don't work properly. My number one issue with plan swift is the code. I complained about how slow the program would get after just a few hours of measurements, especially when using a lot of joint tool and overlays. I would mostly get silence from customer support when making that comment, it seemed odd but I didn't put much thought into it and just kept upgrading hardware on my PC to compensate. Well, now I have a computer that could animate for Pixar yet Planswift still shows me its hourglass mocking the value of my time. I also noticed it would crash more often than I find reasonable and will also crash excel when open even if not using Planswift at the time. When this would happen, excel was unable to recover my progress in that worksheet. VERY frustrating. So, I started to look into composing better spreadsheet design do compensate. I went to an excel guru with estimating background and after just several hours we were both unsure of how we were to make chicken salad out of the fodder. I decided to go shopping, there are tons of in screen programs out there but if you want takeoff with legends to be able to efficiently convey that fancy estimate you spent hours and days putting together to a team on the forld, there are very few that do it well. Most do not have a joist tool or hip/valley intelligence and many other features Planswift has. But most all the others are faster than P.S. and will allow you to work on multiple jobs at same time (P.S. does not). For the light user on a budget, this could be your ticket and I will gladly sell you one of the four P.S. Licenses I am currently sitting on. But if you want to do whole project estimating that is visually auditable with reliable output that won't slow you down and actually speed this boring, low-to-no paying process down then I suggest you search elsewhere. I found my dream software by mixing tei that have most of what Planswift does combined. But mega faster, without crashing or ever hour classing and better reports I do t have to spend hours cleaning up after exporting.

Pros

Features, easy to learn, lots of customization options

Cons

Glitchy, crashy, ruined my day far too many times with lost/disconnected data & subsequent reduced productivity

Mario from UniMak LLC

Mario's Review

Pros

When it comes to estimating, I have not used a better software for quantity take-off on plans. You have the option to purchase packages that fit the scope of work of your company, or if you want to save money, you can build the assemblies yourself for free.

Cons

The only thing that needs to be optimized is the time it takes to import PDF plans and convert it to a TIF file when setting up a new job. A 100 page PDF might take up to 30 minutes to import and convert.

Matt from S.E.M. Construction

Digital Take-Off

Very positive experience as the product is constantly updated. I would and do recommend this software to everyone.

Pros

- Ease of use - Layering Function (ability to turn on and off items) - PDF snap shot of take-off areas with legend to provide to sub-trades

Cons

The cost can be an obstacle for a growing company. I've talked to a lot of other Estimators who use this software and I feel departments always seem to be sharing several copies between multiple users as having a dedicated license for each user is cost prohibitive.

Cheaper

Steve from Green Decoder Consulting, LLC

Estimating 2.0

Pros

Drawing tools are easy to use. Assemblies make the process simple as a single line can capture multiple items at one time. The reporting functions make it easy to review the results and modify the assemblies as a whole as standards change.

Cons

The updating process is very slow. As more assemblies are added to the file, the software gets bogged down and glitchy.

Ahamed Zubair from Al Ali Engineering Co WLL

Effective Quantity Take off software

I will recommend to others, to save time for their Quantity Surveyors.

Pros

Best in industry, good speed and better for revisions. Apart from that, counting is very easy. Area calculation is better.

Cons

Only PDF is acceptable. AutoCAD drawing format is not acceptable. We need to convert to PDF and do the quantity take off.

Dixon from Peer Construction, LLC

It's very good for takeoff.

Pros

Easy to use, accurate if you are with your inputs.

Cons

Lately, tech support has been very difficult to get in touch with. If you get a live person on their end it's usually "I'll get a technician to call you back". Then I guess you're just supposed to sit at your computer and wait, usually hours or into the next day. This never used to be the case (I have used the software for ten or more years). It seems every time they get bought, the problem gets worse. Probably trying to squeeze more money out of the company.

Planswift Review

Overall I would recommend it for the price and the ease of use.

Pros

Easy to use and a quick learn. I like the tool palette and some of the summary features and report tabs.

Cons

It was supposed to be integrated with estimating platforms but we were never able to make it work and limited customer service.

Luke from Schuylkill Excavating LLC

Excellent Takeoff Software

So far I am fair happy with my experience overall.

Pros

This software absolutely streamlines the takeoff process and then compiles easy to use reports.

Cons

The small item cost database. Developing an entire cost database on your own is VERY time consuming.

Stephen from Scraper's Edge Inc.

Great for Takeoffs

*Disclaimer* I declined any training in this product, so negative experiences may be the result of ignorance I've been using PlanSwift for nearly a year & am very happy with it. I use it exclusively for takeoffs, of which I have done over 600 this year. I would highly recommend it for takeoff purposes, but I have no experience with it's other functions & cannot offer any comments on them. Customer service was prompt & answered my questions to my satisfaction. They couldn't fix my desktop freezing problem (see below) & were not aware of it being a problem, but I found an acceptable workaround myself. I can't comment on value for money as I am not responsible for any budget in my company.

Pros

PlanSwift gives a high level of user control for the published result of the takeoff. I can modify takeoff colours, add notes, create my own legend (with notes), insert lines, arrows, etc. The takeoff functions are well designed. Adding an area to the same layer is easy, subtracting a section is just as easy & displays very nicely as a blank space which doesn't interfere with other layers or the original drawing. Modifying a takeoff shape or colour is very easy, as well as drawing curved shapes, copying shapes to same or new layer. Various layers don't interfere with each other, don't "fall behind", etc. Layers can easily be turned off & on. Scaling is excellent with preset dropdown & custom input available, allowing you to work in metric or imperial & scale in either without limiting your output unit selection (ie. scale in metric & get takeoff output in imperial units if desired). It appears to me that a lot of attention went into the design of the takeoff features. There are a lot of little things that make it much easier to use. For example, drawing a shape can take several minutes sometimes, & if you are interrupted & need to use another program you just have to move to another screen or minimize the program & when you come back you can carry on. Lots of programs force you to resolve the function you were engaged in before minimizing, but PlanSwift doesn't. This little thing makes a big difference when referring to another drawing on a pdf that has to be zoomed, or moved, etc while doing the takeoff. The published pdf is very easy to read, & looks clean & professional - a very high quality finished product is possible with this program.

Cons

The loading time is the biggest drawback. If I load too many drawings into the program at a time, opening the program, publishing a pdf, & organizing files within the program can take a long time. This also causes my desktop to freeze so that I cannot move files around or into folders until I restart windows, wait for my screensaver to come on, or sometimes it just fixes on it's own. This is silly, but it seems that the program loads every drawing in it's database when I open the program, so to keep loading times reasonable, I need to remove files from it's database when I finish with them. It's an annoying & unnecessary hassle. It may be that the program is designed to load several drawings for a single project & then file the whole project when complete; so this might indicate I am using the program in a way it wasn't intended. However, I don't want to file away each drawing when I'm finished & start a new project. The takeoff is the project for me, so creating a project for each drawing will end up costing me even more time, if that is how it is designed. Twice with complicated, multi-layered projects, I've had the program freeze when attempting to publish a pdf. Generally at the end of the day when I've already stayed a bit late to finish, & the takeoff is needed asap. This sucks. Restarting, loading the program & trying again takes 10-15 min. In both case it has not worked after 3 tries & I've had to relay the info verbally or use a screenshot instead of a published pdf. Honestly, out of 600+ takeoffs, that's not terrible - I'm assuming it has something to do with the file format and/or amount of info I tried to publish. I've had lots of complicated takeoffs with many layers & pages work just fine.

Ryan from WinSol Groundworks

Industry: Glass, Ceramics & Concrete

Ease of use, and rapid efficiency for contractors doing takeoffs on plans.

I used this program for the entire duration of the trial I was permitted to use it for. While in use this program was highly efficient in is duty to serve as an upgrade to our current takeoff software. (See pros/cons)

Pros

- Can get square footage for concrete of massive plans in 20 - 7 minutes, as opposed to using something like Vu360, and (constantly crashing) taking multiple days to do a single takeoff for one PDF plan. - This program is organized, It comes with an integrated item list that (after you put your prices in for materials) can give you the equivalent of an excel estimate, as you finish the takeoff, and while you are in the middle of doing it. - There is a fill tool for getting square footage or selecting lines for linear feet, you can do supermassive takeoffs for concrete (as long as there isn't a cancerous amount of pointing lines dashing the entire plan) in seconds... - They just broke free from the shackles of oracle so now they have a bunch of awesome plugins back, Plugins such as 'convert takeoff into Quickbooks'... - The program was very quick, no memory leaks here, no lag. - Can be converted into excel

Cons

- High cost, this program is about $ or more PER install (gets cheaper the more you get possibly on a per-software basis), after all of your salesman deals and whatnot, (without any fancy online training) - Complicated at first, Don't try to show the program off to anyone unless you have spent a good 3 - 4 days experimenting with all of the tools, and asking your salesman for a live demonstration. It can be frustrating to know the tool you've been wondering where it is, is under your nose. - The program can only do auto ("one click area") (for getting square/lineal footage) selection for so much space, so on big PDF plans, you will have to use the cut tool to dice the plans into a moderately sized grid, of which it will then handle like a champ.

April 2014

Dave from BDC

April 2014

Very comprehensive and customizable takeoff software

Pros

I work for a small construction company as the project estimator. I have to do takeoffs on basically every aspect of the home so I can put together budgets and bid out the project properly. This is a seriously powerful tool for doing a full building takeoff. Almost all aspects of it are customizable, so you can make this thing do just about anything you want. I've got a template set up that that allows me to use one measurement to calculate quantities for multiple parts. And, if something changes, I can easily manipulate it to figure the new data. So, I measure for block work on foundation and I tell it how many courses I want and it will change the calculations based on the number I select. For the most part, the customer service has been extremely helpful. I am able to save and print views of the takeoffs. This has been extremely helpful when putting together ceiling joist and rafter layouts for my field team. This has helped eliminate a lot of wasted (expensive) lumber by the framers cutting up wood they shouldn't (like cutting up a 2x10x26 intended for a rafter and using it for headers).

Cons

Knowledge base: Sometimes the knowledge base can be a little tricky. It will often take you to outdated versions or may not show anything at all. Much of the information is not laid out in a very intuitive way. Customer service: There have been a few times where I've run into glitches with the software. The costumer service was not helpful every time (though they have been 99% of the time). Sometimes they have been problematic. I use the labeled count feature regularly, but it doesn't always total up the counts properly. When I contacted customer service, the rep I spoke with just said, "I'm not sure. It's probably the computer." He said that about a couple issues. He never did a real review or provided a resolution. I've found ways to work around it, though.

Juan from Commercial Concrete Systems, LLC

Industry: Glass, Ceramics & Concrete

Excellent Value for the Money - Full take off AND estimating capabilities

We are a medium size concrete and masonry subcontractor. We have used another estimating software for about 17 years, but no on screen take off abilities and very little flexibility in creating your own assemblies or unit prices. It is more of a general GC type of software. It was time for a change. I am very happy with Planswift. No software is perfect, but definitely Planswift makes easy taking off and estimating a job. If you plan on using it just for take off purposes, you can start as soon as you buy it. But if you plan on using it as an estimating tool, my suggestion is to give yourself at least 1 month so your most trusted estimator builds the assemblies (full time job). With only 2 or 3 hours of training a smart techy estimator can do it. But it is a long process. And the more you learn about assemblies, the more you have to go back and improve the ones you already built. Based on what I have seen so far, I think Planswift was created as a take off software and then adapted to an estimating one. This is somehow inconvenient, but not a deal breaker. Like every software, there are things it can not do, or at least not in the way a user would like to see them. But overall, it works just fine. We have now a full database with our custom made assemblies and 5 people using Planswift.

Pros

Take off portion is super user friendly. You learn how to use it in a couple of hours. Price is very reasonable. Huge savings in prints to bid jobs. Database can be shared among all users. You can create as many assemblies and unit price templates as you want. You have access to formulas to calculate material quantities based on the take off. Customer support is excellent and unlimited for simple take off questions. Training is excellent My sales person, Conner Livingston, still assists me when I need his help.

Cons

To use the pricing portion you have to create your own assemblies. They are not pre-built. Lacks security features to prevent deleting custom made reports. You have to back them up. Lacks security features to prevent others to modify your database and custom made reports. You have to back them up. Only two people at Planswift have knowledge about building reports and is not part of the regular customer support. Either you buy a Training package or pay by the hour so they can help you build the reports you need.

Lynn from Evergreen Technology

PlanSwift claims to be the number 1 takeoff software. It's true!

I've been using this software for over 6 years now (back at version 8.0). I have customized the export to excel and created a fully automatic system where I use PlanSwift for the super fast take off features, then export it into my customized excel worksheet which makes everything instantly calculated the way I want it with instant and automatic reports (material order / P.O., field labor budget for the workers in the field, accounting report, financial evaluation of the bid... etc. ALL others will not allow me to do the same. PlanSwift stands alone in the BEST option.

Pros

Easy to learn. Dead on accurate. Super easy to navigate. Also... you can learn how to customize PlanSwift to give you the Export into Excel anyway you would like. No limitations. No other software has this feature. PRICE: Seems high but remember... this is a ONE TIME PURCHASE (no annual fees). Saves a TON of money compared to others who charge an up front fee PLUS their annual fee .

Cons

I can't find anything wrong with this software. Everything others lack, PlanSwift has it included. Again... I haven't found another digital takeoff software that even comes close. I would recommend this one and let readers know you can buy with confidence.

Robert from KEA Corporation

Planswift is and essential tool that we use everyday - could be improved though

Please lower price ? Or introduce discounts at certain times of the year for existing customers who have had the software for a certain amount of time.

Pros

I love that we're able to take off drawings digitally, a lot different than I when used to have to take off projects when I was younger by hand. I love the support we're able to access when we have questions, everyone seems to be very knowledgeable about the software and knows how to answer our questions directly and effectively. I also like how we're allowed to disable the license each time we're finished using the software each day at the office - allows me to pick up different projects that I work on for personal projects at home with not having to buy two separate licenses (which can be costly)

Cons

The price can be overwhelming at times - we like to keep up with the maintenance/updates and support which is an additional couple hundred dollars every year. Not to mention wanting to get a couple more computers with Planswift on each with their own license is impossible for us at this time, which is actually holding us back.

Great floorplan markup and estimating tool

The customer service team was really helpful when we were trialling out the software and helped us adapt it to our specific needs. No more paper plans! And if a floor plan changes, it is easy to add or subtract items.

Pros

We used to mark up paper floor plans with pencils and highlighters. We were looking for a way to go digital in this area. We looked at a couple different software options, and Planswift was the winner. We find the UI to be very intuitive. While we mainly just use the software to mark up items on floorplan, there are lots of other features, such as calculating areas and volumes and creating detailed estimates. There are a number of industry-specific plugins available to help you estimate (Siding, Concrete, Framing and Drywall, etc.) You can import any floor plan, even something sketched on a piece of paper! We generally import pdfs, but I believe you can import CAD files or jpgs as well.

Cons

There is a bit of a learning curve to learn the software and get set up. However, once you have it tuned for your business, it easily saves hours of time every week.

Shane from PDC

Great takeoff software, good parts estimation, NO database

Planswift is like an open-source, do-it-yourself platform. It is awesome in it's capability to write what you need and even design the input screens to look very clean and professional. But negatives come with that...it's not good at all for multiple users, you have to define all your own processes and there is little to no bid-level abilities with the software. Most of the great reviews for Planswift are based on the Takeoff aspect. They are correct. But the estimation side is only great for a single, hands-on user.

Pros

-Takeoff probably couldn't be better. All takeoff software should be judged against Planswift. -Estimation is confusing at first, but very powerful. Everything is customizable. -Price is very low for what you can do.

Cons

-No database. This is a basic requirement. You can connect to MS database, but one shouldn't need to do that. -Reporting is not good at all. It is very glitchy. So it appears easy to customize, but then things just quit working. -Support and upgrades have seemingly stopped. Ownership has a changed a few times and now the software seems to be in limbo.

Dean from DK Construction, Inc.

Easily the best takeoff & estimating software available!

We are a large GC and self-perform much of our own work (concrete, framing, roofing, drywall, siding, etc.) and even do takeoffs on the work we are subbing out to keep our subs in check. We feel the sample parts & assemblies that come with the software as well as the plugins PlanSwift offers are useless. We found a company (www.precisiontakeoffs.com) that makes what PlanSwift refers to as "Third Party" plugins and they have been amazing. We have purchased 6 plugins from this company and they are very easy to use, very detailed, and very versatile. These plugins weren't cheap but are worth the investment. We would still recommend PlanSwift without these plugins as it is very easy to use and extremely accurate. I don't understand all the negative comments I see about PlanSwift. You don't need to be a computer programmer to use PlanSwift. It doesn't crash all the time. We rarely have any issues with it and when we do it almost always is a user issue, not a PlanSwift issue.

Pros

We love the fact that you can do everything (takeoff, pricing, overhead, profit, & bid proposal) within PlanSwift!

Cons

It does have a bit of lag on bigger takeoffs as it is only a 32 bit system. Customer service is terrible!

MIKE from Rock Electric

EC using Planswift versus others

Good, little glitches here and there, appreciate the ability to float the license from terminal to terminal

Pros

Value of the product and intuitive design for getting started for a beginner, easy to teach

Cons

Autocount is not very accurate It would be good to see some feature that auto-centers your takeoff mark over the object since you can fly through a takeoff if you could rely on the computer to center your marks, somehow integrated with the OCR it should be able to do that

Cost / Value

Charlie from Havtech

Solid Takeoff Software

Used this software for two years for Mechanical/Air Distribution Equipment Takeoff. It is quick and easy to perform counts and linear/area takeoffs. There were some minor glitches, but once I learned how to avoid them I had no problems with accuracy/ease of use. The software has a lot of potential for speeding up takeoff with custom columns/properties, templates, that require some set-up by the user. When I first got the software there was a great plug-in store that provided added features, but unfortunately, that has been taken down for the foreseeable future. My biggest complaint is that support does not seem to respond to many of my emails or takes a long time which is unacceptable given the cost of yearly maintenance/support. I did not use some of the tools like parts and reports, so I can't comment on those.

Pros

Easy to get started with takeoff (counts, linear, area) and organize your takeoff items Fast takeoff, quick to load new pages/zoom in and out Custom columns/properties allow for in software calculations

Cons

Have to import pages to the software, has proprietary plan swift job files that make sharing a bit harder. Some glitches such as takeoff items getting jumbled when exporting/importing Have to create folders for breakouts/separating takeoff by page (without plugins at least) which can make things like room schedules a bit tedious.

Matt from Gates Construction

Industry: Building Materials

Great On-Screen Takeoff Tool

We started using this product to save money on plans and expedite the takeoff process. We still use our own excel-based estimating template, but the software allows us to quickly takeoff and add/subtract sections from the estimate with ease and without having to commit to print a full plan set without first being awarded the job. The accuracy is close to what we get for counts with a scale and excel line items.

Pros

The takeoff interface is much easier to use than On-Screen that I have used. Most commands and different functions can all be performed with the mouse and keyboard in a very streamlined and user-friendly manner. It also always you to use and arc function to measure arc distances. The area and linear takeoff/deduct items are very useful as long as you know what exactly you are looking for.

Cons

It is very easy to make a mistake in your takeoff of the elevations if you don't keep track of the floor plans and returns into the building as well. It requires you to be as thorough as if you were taking it off by hand, but the measuring and recording parts become much easier. You must still learn all wall types and details to no make a mistake. A 3D software would take into account returns into the building and wall backups/details that are sometimes hard to keep track of in 2D.

Jesse from Canar Contracting Ltd.

Decent digital take offs

After using Planswift for the last few years, I would have to say the program is definitely worthwhile and provides bang for the buck. As an affordable program, the features included, after a bit of getting used to, rival the more expensive suites out there in terms of usability and over all value. Coming from a civil background, the features were relatively easy to dive in and get figured out. With a wealth of resources available, anyone who can't figure it out in a hurry is simply not trying enough.

Pros

Planswift is relatively easy to navigate, with the user interface friendly and not too cumbersome. As some programs tend to feel bogged down with features that are specific to a few endusers, Planswift allows the addition of add-ons to free up the real-estate and allow for an easier transition. Further, the customer support is great and has helped me on numerous occasions to get through whatever issue arose at the time. Technically tight, easy to use and a wealth of support.

Cons

There has not been many instances where the program has left me desiring, however, there has been a couple of shifts internally since I have been using the program and things have been rather confusing as to who, what, where and when the ownership was being turned over. There was a bit of confusion when my licence had expired and the company had been purchased by Oracle, along with the Gradebeam service. However, even during this uncertainty, the helpful customer service was able to set things right.

Linda from RLI Building Envelope Specialists Ltd

Planswift meets our growing needs and is expandable

Overall, we love this product for our companies needs.

Pros

Easy to use and great support for training and technical issues. The support team works well to accomplish better performance and has a great system for followup and trouble shooting. The program itself is very intuitive to use for the takeoff section, and lots of autocad shortcuts work wtih planswift.

Cons

Building of assemblies is not straight forward. It is cumbersome to put them together. The reporting function as well is not as all encompassing as we would like to see it. Too generic in its applications with no real way to modify the output without great difficulty.

Jamie from Newberg Irrigation

PlanSwift Does The Job

We have being using PlanSwift now for close to a year and it has been a blessing. We are a commercial irrigation business and strictly use PlanSwift for takeoffs and estimating. It does just about everything we need. It's easy to learn, accurate, customizable for us and their customer service is first class.

Pros

The biggest plus with PlanSwift is that it's easy to use. The takeoffs are accurate, the tools are there to use and all the data is right there at your finger tips. You can create your own library of items, which saves times once you begin to do multiple takeoffs over time. Speaking of time, using PlanSwift is definitely a time saver compared to the way we used to takeoff jobs. Again, the counts and linear footage tools are spot on so I am never worried about inaccurate data.

Cons

At this time, PlanSwift is not compatible with our existing excel spreadsheet. So we do the takeoff in PlanSwift and import the data onto our spreadsheets. On another note, PlanSwift slows down with the bigger takeoffs deep into the takeoff cycle for that particular job. And if I really had to be nit-picky I would love to see more "count" symbols.

Yojan from AC Painting & Wallcovering LLC

Estimating on Planswift for 3 years and still going!

This product has been a game-changer for our Finish estimating. It has helped us estimate painting and wallpapering to an incredible capacity, in comparison to traditional methods.

Pros

Great layout Navigating through plan files is fluid Never have lost progress, even with occasional crashes Easy-to-use tools Create custom equations When takeoffs are finished, the estimating page is very easy to read and adjust

Cons

I little pricey for a software, but worth it Lack of compatibility with QuickBooks Large files may take a while to upload, may cause software to become unresponsive

July 2015

Aaron from DFW Custom Estimating

July 2015

PlanSwift offers a top of the line product

Pros

PlanSwift offers a wide variety of tools and calculation methods to save the estimator time. The joist/rafter tool is the feature that pulled me to the buying decision. The speed with which I can prepare layouts with various on-center spacing and direction changes is incredible. The hip/valley measuring tool also saves me the trouble of pulling a calculator. Now I can provide concise, color coded layouts to clients along with a bill of materials needed for the job. The measuring flexibility and speed of PlanSwift is also unbeaten in my experience of using scales, wheels, digitizers and other on-screen tools. All of my measurements can be color coded and saved. When I need a clean sheet to measure another item, I can simply click to 'turn off' or 'show' any or all measurements to either leave a clean measuring page or print cut-sheets. When I question a measurement, every measurement is clearly recorded on the screen and can be verified at any time. Even when I click an incorrect point when performing a take-off, I do not have to start over. All I do is hit a key to remove that point and my take-off and I can proceed as if I didn't make an error.

Cons

The labeling feature does not yet allow the estimator to place labels at various angles (for example, along a hip board). In addition, building assemblies to take-off multiple types of materials is not possible without extensive knowledge of programming.

Matt from Gates Construction

Industry: Building Materials

Effective 2D Takeoff Software

I would highly recommend it as a tool to save costs on plan for things like budgets or for companies making their first leap into on-screen takeoffs rather than old school plans and scaling/highlighting.

Pros

Ease of use for point and click, dimension scaling and calibration, elevation markups, text bubbles and snapshots for RFIs, no annual license fee if you so choose to not receive updates, cheapest entry price of any software

Cons

Estimating software leaves a lot to be desired. The inputs and functions you can use don't always cover your entire needs and leaves us using Excel with our house made matrix to estimate. Sometimes plans with large file sizes crash the software, but could be due to our own RAM constraints (8 GB).

Estimating using PlanSwift

Pros

There were a few things that I enjoyed about this software, the ease of finding all of the tools you need to do a take off was very convenient. Also being able to do a take off then drop in the material you are needing and having the software do an estimate for you is also very convenient.

Cons

A con would be that sometimes when you upload a set of drawings they come in messed up, they will be upside down or aligned wrong. The drawings also tend to be uploaded without their sheet names.

Doug from Williams Restoration Company

This software works great for basic take off in estimating and is easy to figure out.

The software boast a lot of function that sound good at the time of purchase. Several of them make similar promises but when it comes to using the product to the fullest it seems to fall flat of the promise. Once you get past doing a take off I don't see how anything can complete the estimation process without a lot of extra steps so I would recommend this and any other products for their ability to do the take off but it stops there.

Pros

Good video tutorials to help you get the most out of the product. Quick and easy to get a take off done. Some basic templates can be made to make the most of your time.

Cons

Written in Pascal so it is old programming and not real easy to modify Customer support can get a little lost if you have a real question.

Perri from Muddy Boys, Inc

Affordable Digitization

I've been using Planswift for over 15 years and I love it. While there are other products out there, I feel Planswift gives me the most for my money. If you are looking at other products, I would suggest, that you factor in maintenance cost into your overall price.

Pros

Small learning curve, feature packed, ease of use, the overall cost is lower than most when maintenance cost is figured into the overall price.

michael from TMIC LLC

Planswift Review

This product features an easy to use takeoff program, combined with a not so easy to use estimating program. Out of all the different software programs that I have seen this is the easiest but it still takes some getting used to. There is not a manual or go to guide so you have to rely on youtube if you have a problem. The main company has been bought out by another so now they stopped the plugin feature for now which tailors the programs to your specific needs. It's a great program but I personally would like a few features added to the program to make it easier to use. TIP: Th hardest part for me was the estimating. Look careful to see which method of takeoff you select( LINEAR-straight lines, or AREA- length times width) and then look to how the material or PART is priced. It will say (priced by square feet), or it might say (priced by each), or (priced by linear foot). If it says "priced by square feet" then you must put the "price each" as the price per square foot. If it says "priced each" then it means to put the "price each" as a price for the whole part or the whole board).

Pros

Takeoff easy to use great for anyone integrated wit excel comes stock with your standard parts or materials that you will use

Cons

If you have different heights on walls you have to make a new line item for each wall that has a different height.

Alan from Primetime Contracting Corp

1000's of lost hours

I recently logged in to complete a new project's takeoff and realized that all of my previous projects had been permanently lost. I basically lost thousands of hours of takeoff and had to redo multiple projects just to be able to bid new projects. I have also been looking to add an earthwork plugin and recently found out that they are no longer selling these plugins and couldn't tell me when or if they would ever be selling these again.

Pros

Ease of use.

Cons

Lost projects. No longer selling pluggins.

June 2014

Tim from Maple Reinders Constructors

June 2014

Straightforward software with easy-to-use tools

Pros

- Straightforward and easy to use. - QTOs are faster than on PDF writer, which allows measuring - Able to scale drawings based on manual reference lines - Ability to overlay drawings and compare revisions - Video tutorials under the help heading - Being able to turn off unneeded digitized elements to reduce clutter/overlap on the screen - Ability to load multiple drawings into one project and quickly jump back and forth - Magnifying tool

Cons

- Method of saving to network or hard drive; cannot move the files once saved or risk corruption. - Not being able to change the name or color of an element once digitized without changing all of the elements of that type (For example, partition drawn as Type A but should be Type B. Renaming the element changes all the Type A elements on the page). - Would like to see 1:75 and 1:400 as metric scale options - Not being able to provide a QTO summary of each page of a multi-page project; currently have to make unique names for each floor - Would like to see a way to customize what is shown in the legend (would like to be able to turn the quantities on and off). - Using one scale for a whole page; sometimes multiple scales are present on one page.

Leticia from Education

Best takeoff software on the market!

This is the best software for anyone doing takeoffs as an estimator.

Pros

I love this take off software. I am able to do sf, lnft, roofs with the pitch, quantity, etc. and I can do them in different colors for ease.

Cons

I love everything about this product. I honestly have nothing bad to say about it except that when you try to have higher resolution uploads, it will sometimes stop the program.

Trey from Corcoran Glass & Paint, Inc.

Great Tool

Able to do our job quicker and more accurate with this product

Pros

Easy to take of square footage, significantly faster than the old way of doing it by hand. It provides a one stop shop where all the drawings are. Customer service/training is available which is nice when you're trying to learn the program.

Cons

The only con we've found is that it takes a while to get set up

Kristen from Patriot Construction

Versatile Takeoff Progream

Ease of operation is the biggest perk of this software! Easy to get started and lots of resources to find help.. such as YouTube!

Pros

This program saves time, paper and money! It is incredibly easy to use and easy to train on. The program is very intuitive and easy to navigate through the takeoff commands.

Cons

Technical support is not always easy to get a hold of. Getting answers to basic questions takes longer than one would normally anticipate. I also wish that the program could "talk to" my estimating software, it is kind of a bummer to do double entries.

Gary from Grijalva Contractors, Inc.

Great estimating tool for daily use.

We have been using it for 10 years and like it for what it does.

Pros

color coding tools on plan page item list totaling for multiple pages with same digitizer tool estimating tab for recaps saving tool templates

Cons

no real-time collaboration between users no Mac support Copy page does not copy digitizer tools Failure to support past versions. Upgrade cost too much

February 2016

Jeff from Petra Inc.

February 2016

Disappointing over the long run

Pros

I found it easy to learn and it became the go-to program for viewing, measuring, and recording any info relating to architectural drawings. On many occasions, if I thought of some action I would like to see the program perform, a little research revealed that it was already built into the program. I have been surprised many times by the wealth of things this program can do.

Cons

One thing the program doesn't do well anymore is load drawings. When I first purchased about two years ago, the drawings loaded very well, and viewed as clearly as the source pdf file. But after a month or so, and a couple of hundred drawings later, the program began to have trouble loading drawings. Sometimes the program would just stall during upload, or if it did upload, a lot of lines would be missing from the drawing. It was possible to still do take-offs, but I would often have to keep the source pdf drawing open on another monitor. The latest batch of drawings I loaded were a real mess. Internet forums discuss this problem, but last time I looked no one had a solution. I contacted the company when this problem first appeared, but they were no help. I now regard a take-off program as indispensable, so I'm now shopping around for something to replace the Planswift program.

Carson from Lawn Butler

Awesome takeoff software

Pros

Easy to use. I can quickly find values such as square footages, linear footages and counts.

Cons

File storage could be better. When competing with software such as Microsoft word a certain level of user experience is expected. It's hard to move lots of files. But you just have to plan ahead.

Jesse from Spani Developments

Plan Swift - Quick Efficient and Powerful

Pros

Super fast set up. Decent add on's and support. Exports to Excel. Best value for money. Free 14 day trial so you can really get a feel for it.

Cons

Modifying items or creating new items is quite involved. I tend to use my own costing assemblies and use this for take off.

Quinn from Starr Corporation

Best Take-Off Software

My take-off's have been consistently accurate and well organized. They are easy to communicate to the estimators and their confidence in me and the take-offs have made the estimating process much easier. Our quality of estimates has improved due to the quality of the take-off.

Pros

Easy to use and understand. The way it allows me to organize my take-off is fantastic. I haven't used the cost estimating on it yet but I plan to and I feel like there is great value in it once I get that setup. I love the little tricks that help make the take-offs go much faster. the accuracy is fantastic.

Cons

Learning the software was like learning any new software it took a bit of time. But with YouTube this is made much easier.

Michael from Dan Swayze & Son, Inc.

Honest Review

Great. Getting quotes out in no time

Pros

It will allow you to take off plans in a fraction of the time compared to doing it with pen and paper. It can export all of your takeoff to Excel and makes sending quotes a breeze.

Cons

That i did not find out about this software sooner

Overall this is a fantastic product and it would be amazing if it could be upgraded to allow more than one aet of plans to be open.

Pros

Cons

The only thing that I do not like about this software is that yoy can only have one set of plans open at a time.

Mark from 84 Lumber

Good Software

Loved it!

Pros

I like the accessibility and features. With the right coding to design the tools, this software makes the job a lot easier. The joist/rafter tool is great!

Cons

I did not like the time it takes to make the tools. You can buy packages if you want.

Misty from Dixie Plastering, Inc.

Cost effective takeoff

Pros

Planswift provides intuitive, easy to use features that make completing takeoffs simple, yet effective.

Tamara from Benchmark Construction Company

Always a Favorite

Pros

Cons

I feel that their are many features offered in this program that I am most likely not utilizing. While I realize that there are most likely many tutorial options, it would be nice to have a way to see quickly the types of features available.

Justine from Superior Builders, Inc.

Easy to use but I know it can do even more

Great tool. I use it daily for quickly estimating flooring needs on jobs.

Pros

I like how fast i can create take-off's

Cons

Trying to create full estimates through the software is a very lengthy process. It also doesn't accurately pick up points when I do the "one-click" feature.

User-Friendly and Functional

The accurate quantity takeoff from the PDF format drawings.

Pros

It is one the best quantity takeoff software that I have ever used. It really match with PDF format drawings and give you the ability to categorize and organize the bill of quantities inside the software and transfer them to Excel. You can also apply the unit rates and build up an estimate. Very appropriate for building works including residential and ICI.

Cons

The software has been designed mostly for 2D drawings. When it comes with 3D such as cut & fill takeoff, it doesn't work. I don't recommend the software for heavy-civil jobs.

PlanSwift for Architecta

Pros

It's really easy to use and you can do your estimates in very little time and with not that much effort by using PlanSwift.

Cons

The only complaint I have is that it takes about 2 hours on the phone for support to actually attend your call.