• Pros

• "It is so much easier than the books! You can search but need to narrow it down for speed. "

• "I appreciate the extensiveness of the cost data library"

• "We really like the square foot estimator. It allows us to quickly talk over conceptual projects with clients and make our project kickoff meeting really meaningful and efficient. "

• Cons

• "Even though the database is large there are lacking items for residential remodeling. Some areas are robust whereas others have very few and require more leg work creating line items."

• "There are no negatives to the software. It takes a while to truly understand how do you manipulate the data sequence but again it is without any constructive defect."

• "It is a good reference point but it should not be relied on for a main source of cost data. "

Browse RSMeans Data Online Reviews

Jim from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Good Investment for Estimators

The online version is great. I like not having about 4 tons of outdated cost books in my file cabinet. I like being able to see what an estimate would cost in the past just by changing to an older data set. The SF cost estimator feature is really good. The one complaint is the structural types to choose from never quite matches what we actually build here in Utah. It seems it is very "east coast" oriented. The cost gets pricey if you want something different than their preselected data set packages. I don't like the fact you can't just pick and choose data sets ala carte. I also wish the formulas would export with the SF cost reports. I waste alot of time recreating links and formulas after exporting to excel.

Pros

I like that it has just about everything you would need to price out for all types of construction.

Cons

Sometimes as an estimator you use your own template and you use RS-Means as a resource for costs and product descriptions. The software doesn't allow to right click copy and paste text feature so I have to jump through alot of hoops to export the estimate in Means to an Excel report and then copy and paste from there.

Jesse from AECOM

Industry: Program Development

Great Database but Lacking Functionality

Overall RSMeans Online is a great tool with a wonderfully complete database for vertical building construction. However, there are limitations with user interphase that limit its functionality and complicate the estimating process unnecessarily.

Pros

The database of materials and labor is second to none in my opinion and I like that the program includes the square foot estimator and life cycle cost tools.

Cons

The ease of use when developing estimates and square foot models is lacking, and could use some revisions to allow for more functionality. It would be nice if in the square foot model you could adjust the quantity without having to swap an assembly, and it would be good to also have the ability to delete multiple line items at a time when revising the model to best fit the building application. Additionally, it would be helpful if you could define more of the characteristics of a building (i.e. wall construction vs finish, roof construction, roof material, window type, etc.). Within the estimate area it would be helpful if all of the different sections (CSI format, Uniformat for Commercial New Construction, and Uniformat for Facilities Maintenance and Repair) all exported with the same columns and data. Most of my clients like to have their data in a specific format that is not RSMeans export so creating a template is difficult and can be time consuming.

Tim from Swanson Rink

RS Means at our Firm

We provide our customers with budgetary estimates during our design processes.

Pros

Ability to line item choose from all RS Means disciplines we subscribe to. Ability to customize our output reports. RS Means have the majority of the systems that we need to provide accurate budgetary estimates.

Cons

I administer our RS Means account, but I very, very seldom use it myself. As the account admin, I am forced to be one of the user accounts; therefore, I have to allow staff to log on with my e-mail and password to use the online cost estimating. We have determined that we do not need more than two simultaneous accounts and our preference would be to assign the licenses to who needs them, when they need them. I can do that with the non-admin license, but not with the one assigned to me. Id prefer not to have staff logging on as me (administrator).

Reasons for Choosing RSMeans Data Online

I believe we've used RS Means for cost estimating since I joined our firm in 1980

Spencer from Global PCE SA de CV

Review of the pros and cons of RS Means Online

In general, I have had excellent experience with Means. I feel confident in their prices, wages and factors for various areas of the country. I live in Mexico so would love to have a Spanish version.

Pros

the scope of the cost items is very extensive. The wage rates are very good and the crews are excellent

Cons

they should have versions for Power Plants, Refineries, Mining and Metals and other large types of projects. They should also design it so that there would be a industry standard type of estimate report. Means used to have a Spanish language version. They should continue with this version.

Daniel from Dimension IV

Small Architectural firm review of RSMeans Data Online

As an occasional user (maybe once a month); it is difficult to use this any more than is absolutely necessary. As it is, with each use, I still pull the information out into my own "summary" and present it to clients from my custom spread sheet. I basically find myself using it like a Means "book" and not taking advantage of it as an "electronic" system. Currently, my experience requires a lot of extra time just to get the final data into a usable, transferrable, understandable format.

Pros

Depth of the cost data is impressive. Ability to "modify" and customize into "assemblies" is powerful. Software keeps a "running tab".

Cons

Customization seems very proprietary and cumbersome. Experience is required to learn the language and "assignments" of materials to categories and assemblies. Pricing adjustments seem to require being in Excel at which point, that specific work is not "saved" to the program.

Reasons for Choosing RSMeans Data Online

Past work with the "books" by Means.

David from Ovation

Not bad, but lacking

It's OK overall, but the absolutely most glaring thing missing, is that this program has not been implemented into app form. I have been looking online for any evidence that this is on the horizon and I have not seen any indication of it. As a project manager working in the field and in charge of proposals, it is the single largest inconvenience of my entire job to have to stop and find some place to sit down with wifi access to do an estimate on the go. That coupled with the other cons I listed in the previous inquiry makes it beyond frustrating.

Pros

Overall, its interface is user friendly for the most part.

Cons

Its several lag on load time when scrolling. That the database lacks almost anything that is specialty or modern technology. Pricing is a joke at best and forces me to struggle with almost every proposal (FYI, I have been using this product since it was just a book). The annual cost increases are always a sticker shock. I understand as a product grows in popularity and comprehensiveness that there is a need for cost increase for the logistics of it alone, but the price increases seem to jump by leaps and bounds. This can be very hard to encumber, especially when used for a contract that is not as lucrative but requires your software.

Michael from Atlas Project Support

The Definitive Resource for Effective Cost Management

The benefits to my customers are numerous. From the ability to understand through the use of cost models for construction costs, my clients are better able to make decisions. The ability to manage my plants facility costs are also a key deliverable.

Pros

This software is the foundation for my entire business offering. It is a highly regarded cost database in almost every industry. The ability to understand impacts of geographic location and timing are unprecedented in the software industry. The full range of the offering by RS means online is a very important standardization across multiple sectors. I highly recommend the software to any company or person that is responsible for cost management activities in their business.

patrick from Lockheed Martin

Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Great Resource

Pros

Current and up to date information with the online version.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to find the correct line item and you have to refer back to the book to find exactly what you are looking for.

Brant from Trend Construction, Inc.

RS Means Online Evaluation / Comparison with Costworks CD Version

Using the Online version takes more time than the CD version and the lack of ability to tailor the costlist view in the Online version when compared to the CD version is a significant deficiency that I hope can be modified.

Pros

I like the ability to access my estimates from any location with a good internet connection.

Cons

The online version does not permit "tailoring" of the costlist window at the bottom when completing an estimate. In the CD Version, you can hide columns that are not needed without having scroll from right to left in the costlist screen. Additionally, when you enter Notes in the CD version, they are displayed and it's easy to copy notes from one line item to another. The online version is cumbersome when entering notes and after closing the note, you can't see it without opening the note screen again. If the costlist display screen in the Online version can be modified to allow Users to tailor what they see and to display the notes once entered, this will SIGNIFICANTLY improve the User interface.

Aubrey from Engineering Design Technologies

RS Means Data is helpful and an industry standard

Good experience. Great for quick ball park estimates needed in planning phase.

Pros

The almost limitless options for features of work and different tasks

Cons

Some of the profit margins seem a bit low.

Michael from Atherton Consulting, LLC.

Current issues in scrolling through the data and entire screen scrolling with your search scroll

There are a few things that make this program very frustrating to work with. The biggest issue is trying to scroll through the data after you search for something. Say "Doors" the database has like 1000 items that are related to doors and it will generate the first 40 or so items in the screen but when you go to scroll down in the window to see more - it takes a while for the new data to generate - and I have a fast connection 100 MB/S so it is not the internet. But that is not the issue - it is the fact that if you scroll too fast and the website has to search for more data, then the entire screen scrolls up and you have to continuously grab the bar and scroll back down. It happens also when you scroll up the entire screen will scroll down and then you have to scroll back up... The other issue is the width of the columns - the allow you to size the columns that way you want them but the column bar is like one pixel wide and for you to point your mouse at exactly the right location on the screen to get the column bar to size the column takes FOREVER !! I have wasted like 6 hours out of 300 trying to resize the columns - the problem is that you can not see the material, labor and equipment prices until you either resize the columns or continuously scroll to the right and then you have to scroll back the left in order to check the item that you want to add to your project - so it is continuously moving back and forth and up and down - NO GOOD

Pros

Great data, excellent product database, great Square Foot model, I have the full blown professional version which comes with unit prices, assembly prices and square foot models for all types of buildings for all divisions for all locations throughout the USA. By zip code, you can set the labor type - union or open shop ...

Cons

Too costly - I paid $$$$ for the full blown version and it is missing some components. Such as LED light fixtures SF costs. Columns are hard to adjust. The layout of the website is not user friendly. To create a SF Model is not user friendly at first. It needs to be more intuitive, and easier to follow. The first thing you have to do is name the project in order to generate any kind of data out of the SF model - well the Name Cell is way down the bottom of the web page - and not up near the top - so if you select the type of building you want and size etc -- it will not generate a SF model .... I have been using RS Means for over 10 years - I started using it in 2004 and they had CD versions then they came out with one license agreements for a server type version - then it was named Costworks - I truly loved the CD version of RS Means Costworks - The best part of having CD is if you lose internet you are not out of business like I was the other week!!! For over 8 hours I had no power in my house therefore no internet and using a Hot Spot does not do the trick when you are searching a database with over 30,000 items....

Kevin from Synergy General Contractors

Estimating for Computer Dummies

I have been using RSMeans since 1984. I started in college with the book, then eventually to a CD, and now online. My business could not survive without it. Its is the best program on the market. I have tried other programs as samples and they cannot compete with RSMeans. And as to technical help, RSMeans is the best I have ever dealt with, if you have a problem they are great with helping you.

Pros

It makes my estimating easier and faster. It would be impossible to estimate a project without RS Means. Its also gives me an advantage to check subcontractors quotes. In addition, I can bid projects in different areas around the country, which has open vast business opportunities in the construction industry that I would not be able to accomplish before I had the program.

Cons

I wish program had virtual "Cortana" like Microsoft. Sometimes I need to find an item and I don't know how to ask RS Means what the item is and all I get for a response is that there is no line item. Also, I wish they had more items to chose from and good example is ceramic tile such as: 12" x 24", 18" x 18", 24" x 24". These items are becoming more prevelent. RSMeans needs to keep up with HGTV as items are changing with the times.

Reasons for Choosing RSMeans Data Online

I was using RSMeans CD and I was talked into using RSMeans Data Online. It took me awhile to get use to the system because of my age but I do like using it. It is handy and and easier than the disc.

Ahmed from University of Washington

RSMeans Review

I teach an online class every year during a 10-weeks summer quarter at the University of Washington. During the class period, I bring the students to know and learn most of the details about RSMeans in order to let them know how to use it to do cost estimating for heavy civil projects. Later on, they let their companies know about it and possibly have full subscription (i.e. I am marketing on behalf of RSMeans). However, students have to pay one-full year of subscription to use the software for 10 weeks. They have been blaming me for the high cost for the short period of time use! I would not be able to use the educational version that you offer because it is limited and will not be helpful for my graduate class. I would highly suggest offering a tailored product in which data is tailored to the need of education, for a limited time for a partial cost. McGraw Hill offers educators to make e-book from a combination of chapters of several books. The ebook is purchased for a partial price for a limited time. Alternatively, i would highly suggest offering a prior year data at a discounted cost to be used for a limited time. For example, offer subscribing to 2017 or 2018 base data (without quarter update) at a discount. This would help students getting to know how the software work and use the old data to do the estimates. You could offer access that expires after certain date. Teachers could supply student names in an online form that you used to verify the subscription.

Pros

Organization of the estimating items based on the Masterformat. Comprehensive list of the estimating items. Ability to verify estimates using the crew listing and the crew production rates.

Cons

Some estimating items should be available in both the commercial and heavy civil products, but it is only available in the commercial offer.

Bilge from Roger Williams University

RWU CM Program / Academic User

Pros

Frequent database updates and ease of use.

Cons

The biggest issue is the lack of ability to modify user accounts in bulk. It takes me 5 minutes to delete a single user license. I need to add and delete up to 60 users every 6 months. It takes me days to add and delete these users to our organization account. This is a major issue for us. We also hope that RS Means will recognize the value of customers like Roger Williams Universitys Construction Management Program as an academic/educational user. We train and graduate 40-50 construction management professionals every year and have been teaching them RS Means in multiple courses. As a leading construction management education provider we receive free educational licenses for almost all of our specialized software packages. That is not the case for RS Means. Thanks to CSR we have been getting a discounted set of licenses over multiple years. However, if it was not for him personally advocating for us, it seems unlikely that the remaining team at RS Means would support such access for us.

Abdul from Conestoga College

RSMeans Data online user feedback

We use RSMeans Data online in different courses in the construction project management program. It a great online cost data and great tool have it.

Pros

The software has different levels of estimating (square foot estimate at early phase of project during feasibility study, assembly estimate during schematic phase and unit price for detailed estimate). Ease to use, and exporting report to MSExcel.

Cons

It is all in imperial units (inches, feet, square foot etc..). There is no feature in the software to convert imperial unit to metric unit and the user must have an option to either work in imperial unit or metric unit. All construction drawing in Canada are in metric unit. Second, if someone works in imperial unit and generates a report, there must a feature in software to easily convert the result or report to metric unit. Third,there must be a feature in the software that enable the user to integrate the online cost data to AutoCAD, Revit, MSProject, Primavera Project Planner P6, Primavera Risk Management and other construction management software etc...

Eddie from KBKG

Would like more clarity on when/why certain components drop out of the SF model...

I'm estimating building components for the purpose of assigning different depreciation recovery periods for federal tax purposes. I've used this tool since it came out and have used RS Means data (formerly the books) my entire career (over 35 years).

Pros

1) I like that we can tweak the individual components within the SF model. 2) I like being able to take an existing model I've created in past years and update it with current (or whatever year is relevant) costs to create an estimate for a different year version.

Cons

1) Historically, the cost of this tool has skyrocketed much faster than inflation every year. 2) Sometimes we make square foot models and the output doesnt include costs for what I would assume are key parts of the building. Weve had issues in the past with roof structure not being a part of the model but recently I generated a model that didnt have costs for interior partitions, even though it most definitely should have. Is there a way for them to tell us which models exclude certain costs? Sometimes these are difficult to catch in our reviews.

Joe from WTI

shared Data Base

Pros

The access to all the trades and the ability to match items to specifications has been a great help. also being able to retrieve old proposals and have them update quickly

Cons

I also have the JOC software from RS Means which no one at RS Means seams to understand and they have tied my passwords to the same account but if I am locked out of one I can not get in the other one. Then all the tech know how to fix this is delete all your cookies. these are place markers for other programs and be cause of the failed IT side of this it makes it hard to accept it as a leader.

Susan from Reiner CM

Excellent source for labor, material and equipment cost

The cost for this online product is very economical. I am a cost consultant with over 40 years of experience that does work throughout the United States and would not consider any other construction cost software that suits my needs. I also like the online webinar's that features major trends in construction.

Pros

Easy to use! Enter your location at the entry screen, save and close and proceed to getting regional cost.

Cons

This is a tough question! This software improves ever year. I used to hate how I would have to log back in to the software when I had left it idle, now its not a problem with the new "idle" mode - Thanks!

Henry from CAS Consulting & Services, Inc.

Industry: Civil Engineering

Major client requires use of RS Means as basis for change order development and certification in their standard contract. Many civil utility contractors are reluctant to use the software because they base change in daily costs, based on resources in use on the project at the time the need for change is ID'd. They do not base their unit rate pricing on actual field conditions encountered at time change is identified, so they have trouble to, or do not wish to, use RS Means as the basis for their change proposal. This creates a problem for us as Owner's Rep to build a change order estimate that is readily comparable to contractor's proposal.

Pros

Wide selection of items ... recognizing that it is impossible to have every item included, the software developer tries to have a broad range of common sense construction items covered

Cons

Not much to dislike. For some of my needs for taking data from the software and putting it into the client required format, the cut-and-paste attempts are blocked or do not function.

Michael from MRW Facilities Engineering LLC

Industry: Facilities Services

Keep Up to Date

I started using the RSMeans books many years ago as a Facilities Engineer. They were excruciatingly difficult to use; they are expensive and do not update. When the opportunity arose to use RSMeans on-line, I took it. As a Buyer/Engineer for Aerospace I needed up to date information for bid justifications and comparison. As a Consultant doing facilities cost estimating for the Navy, I need the most up to date information I can get. RSMeans on-line provides me with that information.

Pros

The ease of using and the quaterly updates.

Cons

Obvously everthing is not in the data base. So I may have to estimate and get close to use a line item.

Elstein from Trilogy Engineering Service

RS Means

I was tasked to gather reliable quotes for new construction and renovations to buildings, wastewater treatment plants and other items based on a provided damage report and memo. I found that RS Means was exceptionally reliable in providing quotes for buildings (i.e. drywall, receptacle, windows, doors, lighting etc.). My main problem and realization with RS Means were that I had to contact manufacturing and distributing companies to gather quotes for the larger more expensive equipment that are housed in wastewater facilities. I can only image that RS Means do not have a major need to have those types of quotes, but it would help to fully round out a great software tool. My overall experience with RS Means was positive regardless of the minor limitation.

Pros

I liked the ease of picking up the software functionality for gathering reasonable quotes for new and renovations to buildings, streets and treatment plants.

Cons

At times I found that the software was lacking in overall speed when loading requested search items. I was able to minimize this issue by refining my search request as best I could but for new users attempting to compare all items of a requested search it will slow down RS Means, and you would have to wait until the system loads the various items. This was mainly an issue when I had over 700 results for a single search.

Godwin from KUMI CM

Most Comprehensive Cost Database Ever

I have been using the product for over 10 years for construction cost estimates after I stopped using the data books. Using the search engine for items and having the in-built estimator software makes my work easier.

Pros

Ease of use, search engine, features and functionality

Cons

RSMeans is most often behind in incorporating new materials on the market in the product.

John from Cianbro

Conceptual Estimating

Pros

RS Means is extremely helpful in creating conceptual Budgets. It offers me an array of building models to start with and a comprehensive library of assemblies to add, subtract, or change the model to fit the particular building that I am estimating. The end result is a quick and accurate conceptual budget, with a detailed summary of the estimates assumptions. My set sum estimating on projects is also enhanced by allowing me to search RS Means data to compliment our in-house historical data. This virtually eliminates planning bias when pricing items within a project that we do not have historical data for.

Cons

I had a little trouble getting knowledgeable feed back from the rep that called for the renewal. I probably should have contacted customer support with my question but I received the renewal call before I had a chance to. The rep was very nice on the phone.

Rebecca from RSM US LLP

Ease the headaches of Costing

Pros

One of my favorite features with this software is the locator. Having the costs customized to your location is so handy and much more accurate than applying a general multiplier to each item.

Cons

My least favorite feature about RSMeans is the subcategories. I love having all of my HVAC costs in one category but I find the subcategories hard to navigate and find exactly what I'm looking for.

Gary from U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Using R S Means On Line

Means Data Online is an estimating tool you can take with you. Where ever you have connectivity, you can generate and estimate. The search feature makes using the online product much easier and quicker that the book style where you have to search through multiple pages to find a particular item - or use the index. With the online data, you can print out your estimate where (with the book data) you have the correct data but what do you do with it?

Pros

The name and cost date compiled by R S Means is known nation (or world) wide as a respected source of cost data. It is easy to use and estimators everywhere can generate a consistent estimates.

Cons

Means needs to increase their intuitional/industrial cost data.

Colin from Imperien LLC

Great Software and Easy to Use

We are a construction management firm - not a general contractor. We see a very wide variety of work types and construction styles that make it difficult to maintain an in-house cost model. RS Means allows us to have up to date data without the maintenance costs of a self built database.

Pros

Cons

The web interface doesn't always format correctly on my screen. Often times the chart titles don't line up with the data chart making it difficult to read.

Jared from Precision Estimating Services

Standard for Construction Cost Data

Overall, RS Means is an excellent to to use for the base of construction cost estimating. As a professional estimator, you must still keep a pulse on the markets, and specifics of your projects, as well as understand how to properly apply the cost data presented in RS Means.

Pros

I appreciate the extensiveness of the cost data library

Cons

I wish there was a better way to build/ develop your own assemblies

Rita from Parsons

Need Improvement in Certain Areas

Contract requires RSM pricing. This makes it easier

Pros

Cons

I can't search as fast as I would like and can't customize the export into Excel to match my contract spreadsheet. Also exports into Excel that have certain symbols, do not work

Robert from PSP (PAE+SGT Partners)

Hope You Read This?

Pros

It is set up in CSI format to help locate various item needed for an estimate.

Cons

I started with CostWorks, it seemed a little easier to locate thing and the description of what you were selecting was readily available. RSMeans on Line is a bit more cumbersome.

David from ARRIS Builders, Inc.

RSMeans Online Estimating

In this current construction market we are able to get budget estimates out quickly to prospective clients utilizing the RSMeans square foot estimator. This gets our firm in front of more clients and gets us more opportunities. For our smaller firm, the cost is not cheap, yet it is justifiable seeing the results of how quickly we can turn out estimates. I also like the professional look of the exported data into excel.

Pros

As a smaller general contractor with few employees, being able to turn around estimates quickly is critical. I have utilized RSMeans square foot estimator to help understand project costs and help owners initially develop budgets. This is helpful in the current economy because trade contractors are so busy getting bids timely is sometimes difficult. Also, I like having updated costs at my fingertips to understand where the market is.

Cons

The square foot estimator needs more models. Our firm is located in California and a lot of our projects are type V wood construction. The models that come up are steel, masonry, or brick with skins that are slightly different than what we are bidding/building. If I could get some models similar to what we are currently working on in our market that would be great!

Shelby from E5 Builders, LLC.

RSMeans allowed my company to take our bidding to the next level

My small-business enterprise construction company has won a large number of bids following the adoption of RSMeans. We used to work only through Excel and use memory, material numbers, and past experience to bid. Now, we are winning more jobs, completing bids faster, and bidding more accurately.

Pros

Offers accurate unit prices for specific areas, eliminates toggling between applications for estimating, quick turn-around times for bids

Cons

No ability to filter searches, i.e. filter search within specific line item, sometimes when searching in the search bar the word does not register when hitting "enter", you must manually click the "Search" button

Vivek from AECOM

My Experience using RSMEANS

Pros

Ease of use - I mean we can get $/UOM regarding any construction work based on any location in US/CANADA.

Cons

Price of packages - It seems bit high. Also, you must consider that teams will be using this - so please consider increasing the number of users for an account

Joseph from Chumley Construction

Worth it

Pros

Large database and still able to enter customized line items that fit our needs.

Zachary from Superior Steel & Ironworkers

RSMeans Data Online

A great investment!

Pros

Great for quickly estimating larger budgets. RSMeans Cost Data is second to none. I find it is extremely accurate. Great tool for developers, project managers and estimators.

Cons

It is expensive. But I have found it is well worth the money.

wensley from marine atlantic

RS Means review

Overall experience over last 2 years has been excellent. Prior to that it renewing subscription turned into a mess every year (not being billed timely, billed 2 and 3 times)

Pros

ease of use, costing data is updated on a regular basis

Cons

thinks that i like least are addressed in more expensive packages

seth from Rise Modular

My Take on RS Means

Pros

I like the ease of searching for a "needle in a haystack". I can drill down quite far to get detailed item pricing

Cons

Not enough parameters for square foot estimates. I would like to see the ability to put more info in when I start the square foot estimate

George from State of Illinois Illinois Department of Public Health

RSMeans Data Online Review

RS Means establishes a State standard for building costs for our regulatory board. The Illinois Health Facilities and Services Review Board relies on the Gordian Group/RS Means to establish construction/modernization standards for health care facilities in the State of Illinois, and they do it very well. P.S.: Sorry about the Bruins, they played a good series. Go Blues!

Pros

The ease of use, the functionality of the online subscription service. The customer support.

Cons

Periodically, the system will "mini-crash" causing me to re-enter data for one particular project. Small price to pay for the end result.

Sharal from Majestic Services, Inc.

President/CEO

We are a commercial construction company that competitive bid on projects .

Pros

The software is user friendly and gives a good foundation for cost estimating.

Cons

Sometimes I find the cost estimate to be rather low compared to actual bids.

Thomas from Dirigo A/E, LLC

Some suggestions

Generally good - we are satisfied with the product. Customer service is great too.

Pros

Detail of the data, and ease by which we can pull an estimate together. As an A/E firm on the front end of a lot of projects the first question is usually how much does it cost. RSM consistently hits the mark with the bid results.

Cons

- a 80" computer monitor would work best to try to see everything with all the scroll bars - it would be nice to have an A/E fee adder % like we have for markups, instead of adding a % to every line item. The current option makes the math work but makes for a very messy output in reports. - have the Excel report outputs match the appearance of the PDF outputs. The PDF's are super clean but obviously lack any ability to augment or add things like A/E fee %, contingency, etc. We have to hand-edit them, which is fine, but if we change a number then we have to hand-edit everything again.

Justin from Government Administration

RSMeans gives real time valuations

RSMeans gave us the ability to quickly create valuations for our many structures on six different campuses across the state of South Dakota. The customization process was cumbersome at times but the values were very helpful.

Pros

The ability to create valuations of a variety of different buildings

Cons

I'm a fiscal manager not a civil engineer so it is difficult to look at those huge lists of interchangeable components to what goes into a building

Reasons for Choosing RSMeans Data Online

The support we received from your sales team, their presentations of the software, and the cost of getting started.

Narom from AECOM

Industry: Civil Engineering

Great starting point for unique estimates.

Pros

I like the tools RSMEANS gives for guidance if you are unfamiliar with a particular trade.

Cons

The auto logout is annoying. It would be better if you got a log out on your own.

Jun from Amheart Solutions

Thoughts as a user

Pros

Easy to search for the data Many tips available to do the cost estimate (e.g. how to do the quantity take off regarding foundation, spread footing)

Cons

RS Means sale various versions - Heavy Construction, Concrete & Masonry, MEP, Commercial renovation Cost. I have all of them and found out only a few added data-base specific to the title, not much worth to pay for. Abbreviation dictionary: It has most of the abbreviation but does not cover all. I have to google from time to time.

Rich from Corna Kokosing Construction Company

RS Means Data Online

It saves the time of having to pull a physical paper copy of the RS Means books of the shelf and searching though pages for data. As stated, it is much easier and convenient to search for items in the online data base and adjustments for time and location are done for you rather than having to search for a factor in the book and calculating every item you look up with these factors. Data is also updated quarterly, while the physical book is updated yearly.

Pros

I like that it is a comprehensive database of all of the RS Means Books in one easy to access, online database. Searching for items is fairly easy. Adjusting prices for markets and quarters of the year is easy with one touch of a button

Cons

The descriptions of items are long and if you try to extend the description field so that you can understand what item you are looking at, you lose some of the productivity and cost data fields. The viewing box could stand to be larger to allow for more data to be visible

Valery from JLL

Industry: Renewables & Environment

Great service

Great, but again limited in items focused for energy conservation measures.

Pros

Useful line items, and ability to price out how much it installation is.

Cons

- Limited in terms of what items you can find and price out. We use this software to price out energy conservation measures and some technologies are just not listed which is a limits how useful it can be on a project to project basis. - Sometimes pricing is not realistic for metropolitan areas. Worked on a project in San Francisco and spoke to someone local that said that the prices were nowhere near what RS Means was saying, they were much higher. - need to create every time i want to put together and export pricing for something small. Sometimes I get small requests for pricing and instead of being able to put a couple of items together, export it and send it out, i have to create a project and then put it together to export.

Susan from Reiner CM

What's not to like!

Great on-line experience unless you get a power outage.

Pros

The ease of looking up specific material items.

Cons

The inclusion of new technology pricing has a wait.

ERICK from Sims Durkin Associates Engineering Company

The Need For Assemblies

Pros

Industry standard. "We used MEANS for pricing" - lets people know where the price baseline comes from and most constructors are familiar with the system.

Cons

The lack of assemblies. My specialty is electrical construction - lots of parts and pieces. It would be best to create an assemblies section of MEANS. 1. Conduit with supports and boxes. Create an assembly that has supports and "x amount of boxes" per foot of conduit. 2. Wiring device assemblies - include all the parts and pieces plus some branch circuit. Have assemblies tailored for tennant finish, warehouse, etc. 3. Fixture assemblies. Assemblies are much more efficient for use at the MEANS level of pricing. Independent count of individual fittings isn't critical, so having an assemblies section would be much more effective, but more accurate than a square foot number.

alan from the hudson companies

Hudson Budgeting/Value Engineering

quick and easy

Pros

the 2019 on line service brings up 2nd, 3rd, 4th level data a lot quicker than in the past. I use the production info and modify for projects and the materials costs are extremely helpful. searching from the search bar is quick.

Cons

upon opening the divisions are open. when working on a laptop it is harder to close the section. it would be good to have a setup button to determine whether we want that open or not.

Michael from DHS

Detail oriented

Pros

The details provided when building an estimate is immeasurable

Cons

Training is needed when doing speciality estimates

Andy from Chinook Fire Protection

Fire Protection Contractor - Use of RSMeans for Labor Estimates for Change Orders.

I do like using RSMeans to create estimates of time for change orders. It provides an acceptable means to present the amount of labor required for the work. We have not had labor hours questioned when using RSMeans. Overall, it's a great tool for us to use in this way.

Pros

As a fire protection contractor, I use RSMeans data to estimate field time for change order work on government projects. This method has been acceptable to the corps of engineers, and provides a fair and reasonable estimate of time. In addition, I like the ability to save the estimate in an Excel spreadsheet, and add a total labor calculation to the file.

Cons

RSMeans data does provide data on new installations, but does not provide data choices for reworking of existing systems that I could find, such as demolition or reworking of sprinkler drops, etc... for a tenant improvement. Also, I do not use the material cost estimate portion of the work.... only because we provide actual quotes of materials, including freight costs, to the project site.

Indispensable tool for estimating

This software has made our estimates way more accurate and competitive.

Pros

Huge range of trades to choose from, updated cost lists by quarter, ease of use.

Cons

The only thing we don't like is that the table doesn't display properly when the browser window is collapsed to half screen.