Slate

Slate Reviews

RATING:

• icon"Slate is great at taking different types of required application materials (i.e. PDFs, videos, audio, etc.)."
  • icon"Both its ease of use from a functionality standpoint as well as how encompassing and fully formed of a CRM it is."
  • icon"Slate is by far the most comprehensive and powerful tool on the market for managing student information."
  • icon"There's a lot of scrolling, and no way to jump down to the bottom of application item lists, which can actually take up a lot of time."
  • icon"I've found that Slate has its own jargon, and it's sometimes hard to find definitions/what those terms mean outside of Slate. But that's really my only complaint."
  • icon"This has on rare occasion resulted in me losing work. But the net time Slate has saved me is so high that I consider this a very minor inconvenience."

All Slate Reviews

Ryan

This is the BEST CRM for education that you will find

Our organization has been using Slate for 3 years and we are still in love with the product. It might sound strange, but I look forward to coming into work just to use the software. It makes our jobs so much easier that it's released a lot of tension that was in the office with our previous vendor.

Pros

The balance between features, flexibility, and setup is unmatched by any other product I've used. The thing I most like about Slate is that it is so easy to use. I haven't used any other product that gets usability this spot on.

Cons

At the yearly Slate Summit when new features are announced, it can take awhile for them to be added to the software. However, this is really more that they have setup such high expectations on response to issues, that delayed release of a feature seeks like a big issue.

As powerful as your commitment

I'm not an IT person, so Slate has been challenging at times. Being an administrator, I've had to learn a lot about coding and SQL to really make the most of it. I've spent many, many hours troubleshooting issues and reading through their Knowledge Base to understand how everything works—and even then, I don't always get it right. Because of this huge learning curve, I've become the primary contact in admissions for all questions relating to Slate. While it makes sense that not everyone will have the time to devote to learning the ins and outs, I'd recommend having at least a few people who are tasked with thoroughly understanding the product so it doesn't become a burden. Overall, we're extremely satisfied with Slate and we're happy we went with it, but it hasn't always been easy.

Pros

Slate is by far the most comprehensive and powerful tool on the market for managing student information. As someone who specifically uses Slate for undergraduate admissions, I can say that our team would not be able to do the type of recruitment nor the sheer volume of recruitment that we're doing now without it. There are so many features that have helped to automate and streamline our processes—from application review and management to event management and email marketing campaigns. It can do just about anything you'd ever need it to, if you know how to set it up.

Cons

As someone who works heavily on the "back end" of the product setting everything up and managing our student data, I can say that Slate is only as powerful as your commitment to it. Because it's so customizable, that means your administrators are responsible for making Slate a useful and powerful tool for your team. There is little to nothing that comes set up out of the box and it's taken our small team of admissions and IT staff roughly 2 years to fully "implement" the product.

Reasons for choosing Slate

I'd spoken with several people at other institutions who were switching from both of these products to Slate. That made it pretty clear that Slate was the product to have!

Reasons for switching to Slate

We made the switch for two reasons: 1. EMAS was going into retirement and we needed a new solution, and 2. I had done enough research and had heard enough rave review to know that Slate was the #1 choice, if you had the money.

Stephen

September 2022

Worst Advancement/Fundraising Tool on the Market

Overwhelming negative

Pros

The admission/enrollment piece is solid - we manage our scholarship program via this instance

Cons

Anything that has to do with advancement, development, fundraising, donations, constituent management, reporting, queries, communications, or money. Also, customer service is nonexistent

Reasons for choosing Slate

Costs - though the consultant costs have negated any anticipated savings

Reasons for switching to Slate

It was an organizational decision to find a comprehensive tool to solve numerous issues. It only made things worse

Nathalie

July 2022

Best I have ever used!

Overall we migrated from Salesforce and it has been smooth sailing! I couldn’t be happier and cannot even imagine us without Slate. Amazing work!

Pros

The most impactful feature on this software is the ease with pulling up data, queries and reports.

Cons

My least favorite thing is if a rule is broken it has a significant impact on the data. Although we have managed this issue better with having a small System team, it is something we keep an eye on constantly

Reasons for switching to Slate

Too many errors with Salesforce and reports restrictions.

Industry leader and still going

Unified all of our disparate admission processes into one platform.

Pros

The product sells itself as evidenced by the lack of sales staff that Technolutions has. It is very intuitive, has great customer support, and a vibrant user community. Definitely goes past a CRM and into a total admissions office solution.

Cons

Doesn't always have system integrations that platforms like Salesforce have as they try to build functionality into the product itself. Some of the features that are rolled out are very innovative but don't always catch on with the user community (happens a lot with every software provider though).

Katherine

May 2022

Slate

Overall positive. I love the Timeline feature, it is my favorite thing to use.

Pros

Once you have gotten used to the set up, it isn't hard to use. You get to now the best places on a student profile to find information, track their application status, etc.

Cons

It's not super intuitive. Information that is closely related can be spread apart in different places (I often have to go between the Read Appliation section, Timeline Section, and The application tab to find the info I need) But other wise I don't have many issues with it.

Larry

By far the customer relationships management tool for admissions

Pros

Easy to use, customizable, fully useable by any level user. This tool is by far the best for managing the admissions process include amazing communications abilities, including texting, custom post cards, and of course emails.

Cons

They do make lots of enhancements, if that can be a negative?

Melinda

Great application and CRM system

Pros

I work in two different instances of Slate. I love that you can have so many categorizations of roles, and make them as broad and customizable as you want. The learning resources are really good and help you step-by-step. The interactions at a glance is very helpful.

Cons

There are no email templates that are pre-installed. The company seems to be focused on advances in the application and reporting system and not so much as an event or email system. Also, there were many updates revealed as ready to use at last year's conference but now are still in development.

Brilliant Tool

For a person who worked in universities for over ten years, I'd say it's like an additional assistant. You can do so much with this, it's up to one's imagination.

Pros

I love that you can do pretty much anything you want with this software when you are given permission by the administrator. It is a database, it is a coordination tool, it is an event planner, it's an online application, and the list goes on. It is very user friendly once you get the just of it and it's extremely customizable.

Cons

It's so efficient, it's a little scary. For someone who likes her privacy it's crazy to know that there is a database that can literally see what you are doing when in it and records all your actions.

I used this when I worked for admissions in college and it was wonderful and easy.

Pros

I love how easy it was to enter and keep track of admissions documents. I loved the easiness of logging in and the file lookup feature is excellent.

Cons

It would get rather slow or bogged down, though maybe this was because almost everyone in our office was constantly on it.

Chardonnay

Slate: One-stop shop for admissions

In admissions, we deal with different student populations, which require different forms, communications, etc. Before Slate, we would have forms in our admissions drive housed on everyone's desktop, and the people managing the forms would have tons of emails asking where a form is. Now, all of the information is housed within Slate and clearly labeled. Communication and processes are more effective. We still have more features to explore and implement!

Pros

Slate has a very clear user interface and it's easy to learn how to use, whether you have experience building forms and queries or not. We're able to house all of our marketing emails and other communications in the same place as our admissions processing. Some of our forms that were housed in Microsoft Excel or other intranet sites were transferred to Slate, making it easier to organize all the information we have. We're also able to conduct applicant review within Slate.

Cons

The events calendar can look very overwhelming, but it's because of the volume of events we host in our office. Although I like the Slate Reader for reviewing applications, I wish it would open in its own window so going back to a file is easier.

Reasons for switching to Slate

We needed something more user-friendly than our old system.

Kayla

Slate is Great!

Our catchphrase is "With Slate all things are possible"--and we mean it! There are SO MANY things that we never would've been able to do with our previous CRM. We haven't regretted the switch for one second!

Pros

Slate is the *best* CRM for admissions. There's so many wonderful things I can say! The unlimited licenses, the easily accessed data/reporting, the ability to quickly segment your audience in so! many! ways! Really, Slate has made our lives so much better. I can't say enough good things about it!

Cons

I've found that Slate has its own jargon, and it's sometimes hard to find definitions/what those terms mean outside of Slate. But that's really my only complaint!

Jeremy

Great application management software, not the easiest to use.

Pros

Slate has a large set of features and makes collecting and reviewing applications rather easy. - Applicants are able to submit their applications entirely online. - We are able to review and send admissions decisions through Slate. - The Mail-Merge function (called "Deliver" in Slate) is quite robust for ongoing applicant contact. - The ability to Query tool in Slate is (mostly) intuitive and easy to use. Despite a somewhat steep learning curve (see the 'Cons' Section), I would recommend using Slate to streamline the application process.

Cons

While Slate is a very powerful tool, it is not polished. Slate documentation is there, but not robust. The customer service feels similar. Slate has a steep learning curve. Once you get there, the software is very powerful, but it takes some time. Slate also has some database limitations. Slate stores Applicants (people who have submitted an application) and Prospects (people who are interested, but have not yet submitted an application) in two separate databases. This means that you cannot search both at once without some SQL work.

You will never need another CRM

Slate InBox has been a game changer for our customer service efforts. We can quickly assign questions and get them answered, as well as document the interaction. Enrollment Management is a vert complex business and managing lists and customer data needs to be sophisticated and easy to use. Slate is both.

Pros

While I love most of the features, what I like most is the support and constantly-improving culture of Slate. We get questions answered quickly and new products built sometimes within a few days of request. I am in the higher ed industry and the document reader makes managing high volume application loads and accessing/reading very easy. We have yet to be disappointed by the CRM.

Cons

Deliver (building email campaigns) lacks in terms of design features. As our most impactful channel, we hoped the feature would get more of an upgrade.

William

The best CRM for higher ed admissions

Pros

Slate is by far the best CRM for higher ed admissions. It's incredibly easy to use (once you get your head around some basics) and it's noticeably designed from the ground up with the admission process in mind. They're also great with customer service and have spent a lot of time cultivating a community of Slate users who all work together to make the most of the product.

Cons

Slate is long overdue for some marketing, campaign, and communications updates. Deliver is still behind other more commercial CRMs in terms of capabilities, and I'd love to see queries, reports, template communications, and events updated with an eye for easing the customer journey and streamlining communications.

Annalisa