• Pros

• "I love how easy it was to enter and keep track of admissions documents. I loved the easiness of logging in and the file lookup feature is excellent."

• "User friendly, easy to do all the basics. In addition, it has a lot of depth. The more I explore Slate, the more helpful tools I find. Slate makes my job easier."

• "Easy search feature, downloading from Slate inbox, and uploading new materials. It's also easy to track fair attendees. "

• Cons

• "They do make lots of enhancements, if that can be a negative?"

• "Slate is a bit non-intuitive and takes some training to get the hang of it. It would be great to be able to compare applications side by side in the read view."

• "Because Slate has so many great features, it can often be difficult to know the quickest and best ways to navigate all this information."

Browse Slate Reviews

Ryan from Southern Adventist University

This is the BEST CRM for education that you will find

Our organization has been using Slate for 3 years and we are still in love with the product. It might sound strange, but I look forward to coming into work just to use the software. It makes our jobs so much easier that it's released a lot of tension that was in the office with our previous vendor.

Pros

The balance between features, flexibility, and setup is unmatched by any other product I've used. The thing I most like about Slate is that it is so easy to use. I haven't used any other product that gets usability this spot on.

Cons

At the yearly Slate Summit when new features are announced, it can take awhile for them to be added to the software. However, this is really more that they have setup such high expectations on response to issues, that delayed release of a feature seeks like a big issue.

Chardonnay from University of South Carolina

Slate: One-stop shop for admissions

In admissions, we deal with different student populations, which require different forms, communications, etc. Before Slate, we would have forms in our admissions drive housed on everyone's desktop, and the people managing the forms would have tons of emails asking where a form is. Now, all of the information is housed within Slate and clearly labeled. Communication and processes are more effective. We still have more features to explore and implement!

Pros

Slate has a very clear user interface and it's easy to learn how to use, whether you have experience building forms and queries or not. We're able to house all of our marketing emails and other communications in the same place as our admissions processing. Some of our forms that were housed in Microsoft Excel or other intranet sites were transferred to Slate, making it easier to organize all the information we have. We're also able to conduct applicant review within Slate.

Cons

The events calendar can look very overwhelming, but it's because of the volume of events we host in our office. Although I like the Slate Reader for reviewing applications, I wish it would open in its own window so going back to a file is easier.

Annalisa from Notre Dame

Slate is One of the Best Admission Tools

Overall, Slate makes processing applications easy. Checklists, assigning materials directly from the inbox, and emailing students directly from the application are all features that I use heavily, and have had no trouble with. Highly recommend.

Pros

I'll focus on the application processing side: -Easy to assign materials directly to application accounts from Slate inbox -Easy to set up connectivity between your application portal and various rounds during the cycle -Easy to sort data once the applicants submit -Easy to set up checklists of items and audit based on the checklist -Easy to email students if they are missing items -Easy to see when students are opening emails from you reminding them to submit materials

Cons

From the Admissions processing side of things: -Sometimes items which should auto-check off do not, and you have to catch these manually -Sometimes items which you have set up to be part of a checklist don't show up at all in the checklist, and you have to add them manually -there's a lot of scrolling, and no way to jump down to the bottom of application item lists, which can actually take up a lot of time! It's clunky to have to click between tabs and manually scroll to a field.

Ronald from MC

Slate by Technolutions Review

Fantastic. Not only is the system easy to use, but just the breadth of scope it brings to our organization from a general functionality standpoint is both refreshing and welcome!

Pros

Both its ease of use from a functionality standpoint as well as how encompassing and fully formed of a CRM it is

Cons

That there are no notifications to alert you to irregular changes such as system time-outs etc. (which are rare, mind you)

Cynthia from SAGU- Admissions

Slate- The Only CRM for Higher Ed Admissions

Pros

My favorite features of Slate are the user-friendly query-building functions, the ease of access through the web and app platform, and the communication abilities through Deliver and SMS Inbox.

Cons

Reporting between different databases can sometimes be an issue, but Technolutions is already releasing features to address that concerns for users!

Larry from Oklahoma State University

By far the customer relationships management tool for admissions

Pros

Easy to use, customizable, fully useable by any level user. This tool is by far the best for managing the admissions process include amazing communications abilities, including texting, custom post cards, and of course emails.

Cons

They do make lots of enhancements, if that can be a negative?

Molly from University of Chicago Department of Music

Slate Admissions Software

Pros

My favorite part of slate is that you can "impersonate" an applicant to better understand their question about their application and troubleshoot for them. Slate is great at taking different types of required application materials (i.e. PDFs, videos, audio, etc.).

Paul from University of Notre Dame

The most powerful tool in our field. Simply put.

Pros

The creation on quick reports that help me manage applicants. The scheduling functionality is handy and the streamlining of shared reports between colleagues is a nice feature as well. Makes going through applicants more effective.

Cons

The only con is that it can be overwhelming to tackle everything Slate has to offer. The training videos on the site should be more prominent.

Sasha from RU-N

Premier enrollment management tool

Pros

One of the most helpful tools was the ability to create custom queries on any number of parameters. Also of importance is the ability to manage student information and communication plans (current and historical) in a single system.

Cons

The implementation period was lengthier than we had expected.

Chemeli from African Leadership Academy

Could be useful on the HS Side

I wish Slate would develop more for high schools as much as they have invested in universities. It would be great having the same software to work with. Less complicated for all involved.

Pros

As a counselor, I can see if a student has applied to a university and this is useful especially if they have forgotten to inform us.

Cons

Unlike Naviance or Maia, it does not hold records. It's merely a dispatch tool. I would love to search students by name. As it is, I can only search by university.

Jeremy from Northwestern University

Great application management software, not the easiest to use.

Pros

Slate has a large set of features and makes collecting and reviewing applications rather easy. - Applicants are able to submit their applications entirely online. - We are able to review and send admissions decisions through Slate. - The Mail-Merge function (called "Deliver" in Slate) is quite robust for ongoing applicant contact. - The ability to Query tool in Slate is (mostly) intuitive and easy to use. Despite a somewhat steep learning curve (see the 'Cons' Section), I would recommend using Slate to streamline the application process.

Cons

While Slate is a very powerful tool, it is not polished. Slate documentation is there, but not robust. The customer service feels similar. Slate has a steep learning curve. Once you get there, the software is very powerful, but it takes some time. Slate also has some database limitations. Slate stores Applicants (people who have submitted an application) and Prospects (people who are interested, but have not yet submitted an application) in two separate databases. This means that you cannot search both at once without some SQL work.

Chris from University of South Carolina

You will never need another CRM

Slate InBox has been a game changer for our customer service efforts. We can quickly assign questions and get them answered, as well as document the interaction. Enrollment Management is a vert complex business and managing lists and customer data needs to be sophisticated and easy to use. Slate is both.

Pros

While I love most of the features, what I like most is the support and constantly-improving culture of Slate. We get questions answered quickly and new products built sometimes within a few days of request. I am in the higher ed industry and the document reader makes managing high volume application loads and accessing/reading very easy. We have yet to be disappointed by the CRM.

Cons

Deliver (building email campaigns) lacks in terms of design features. As our most impactful channel, we hoped the feature would get more of an upgrade.

Industry leader and still going

Unified all of our disparate admission processes into one platform.

Pros

The product sells itself as evidenced by the lack of sales staff that Technolutions has. It is very intuitive, has great customer support, and a vibrant user community. Definitely goes past a CRM and into a total admissions office solution.

Cons

Doesn't always have system integrations that platforms like Salesforce have as they try to build functionality into the product itself. Some of the features that are rolled out are very innovative but don't always catch on with the user community (happens a lot with every software provider though).

David from St. John's College

Excellent, love it.

Pros

Cons

One (very minor) complaint is that if I'm midway through entering info and leave the screen for too long, sometimes it signs me out without telling me. I finish filling in the info, only to find out that I can't save it because I'm signed out. This has on rare occasion resulted in me losing work. But the net time Slate has saved me is so high that I consider this a very minor inconvenience.

Melinda from Indiana University - Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW)

Great application and CRM system

Pros

I work in two different instances of Slate. I love that you can have so many categorizations of roles, and make them as broad and customizable as you want. The learning resources are really good and help you step-by-step. The interactions at a glance is very helpful.

Cons

There are no email templates that are pre-installed. The company seems to be focused on advances in the application and reporting system and not so much as an event or email system. Also, there were many updates revealed as ready to use at last year's conference but now are still in development.

Sarah from University Systems

This software is an incredible way to track admissions-related processes

Pros

It's extremely easy to use and customizable. You can run queries, schedule different types of events, organize telephone campaigns for students, review emails sent/received to better communicate, read applications, and more.

Cons

I haven't encountered a con in this system yet. It's a fantastic way to get things done and get them done quickly!

I used this when I worked for admissions in college and it was wonderful and easy.

Pros

Cons

It would get rather slow or bogged down, though maybe this was because almost everyone in our office was constantly on it.

Sarah from Academia

This is incredible software! Extremely easy to use and intuitive.

Fantastically easy to use

Pros

I can't tell you how easy it is to use Slate. Everything is organized, it has low or no down time, and has incredible features that are easy to customize. It's like an Andriod product with Apple's ease of use.

Franny from Tulane Office of Undergraduate Admissions

Slate for Admissions Offices

Our office has been able to make the most of the time we have (and of our busy schedules) with Slate!

Pros

I love that Slate is easy to use and that I can find all the admissions information I need for a single student in one place. Slate also makes tasks quick and easy when the work day gets busy, which can happen with little warning. I'm often finding even more features of Slate that I didn't know existed!

Annalisa from University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business

I use CRM daily as part of an Admissions team for business graduates. I represent the MSM program.

Pros

Cons

It's hard to track emails once "resolved". Once you resolve emails, they only stay for a time. That's difficult when needing to look back.

Amanda from Self employed

Data Simplified

Slate is a trustworthy tool that can be used easily for the basics. It is apt for more complicated tasks, if you wish to take your CRM use to the next level.

Pros

Slate makes it easy to work with data from micro and macro levels. Communication streams can be incorporated from within the platform.

Cons

To submit a review I need to have content in the “cons” text box. So I will say users look forward to the continuous improvements Slate is known for.

Roy from SAGU

Powerful CRM for Educational Institutions

Pros

If you can dream it, then its possible. This is the CRM that can do it all from email communication, to form builds to lead followup. We've been impressed with what Slate has been able to do for us. It has automated a lot of our communication and even replaced our event management software too.

Cons

It's not necessarily user friendly, but it gets the work done once you know where to go.

Julia from Kellogg Admissions

Technolutions slate

Pros

- queries -calendar of events - lookup by name or email

Cons

inability to customize our own application more would like to be able to look up a profile by phone number way too many duplicate profiles that should be caught sooner by the system

Elaine from St. Mary's University

Industry standard

Pros

They are always working to add new features and make things simpler. They listen to customer feedback and make changes based on it.

Cons

Access levels leave something to be desired - it's hard to grant viewing permissions to give a web developer analytics access without also handing them administrative privileges.

Marisa from South Peninsula Hebrew Day School

Great software for schools!

Pros

Can access all information for students and store it all in one place without having to worry about losing items or forgetting about them.

Donald G. from University at Albany

I just started using Slate as our university's admissions/application review platform.

It provides a good snapshot of an applicant's status as well as an email tracking mechanism.

Pros

I'm only scratching the surface of the software since I haven't been using it for very long. However, from what I've been told, this has much more functionality than Nolij, our previous system. In addition to being able to review applications and render admissions decisions, it also provides a means to review all of the communication with an applicant and where he or she stands in the application process.

Cons

Some of the information that I found valuable in the last software platform I used, such as social security number and date of application, are either unable to be found or are hard to find.