Browse PhraseExpander Reviews

Michael from Kaylor Family Medicine

A Must Have for busy physicians/people.

charting is faster and easier and more flexible.

Pros

-flexibility to use dot phrases/templates in any EMR and any section/field of the EMR -it is very easy to start using the software but there is also option to build more complex templates/actions -will never lose work I put in building templates/phrases if I move to a different EMR or job. I can use on any computer. -more accurate and quicker than using template commands with Dragon -best customer service of any application I have ever used. I have emailed a few times with questions and within the same day got a solution from the creator of the software -some people are put off by the upfront cost (it was about 100 dollars for the professional version) but I prefer this over paying a monthly fee that will add up to a lot more over time

Cons

-there is the ability for more powerful/complex functions but I struggle more trying to figure these out. To use some of these looks/feels like computer programming which is not my skill set. It can feel overwhelming. To use it at the level that you would find in an EMR or dragon doesn't require this level of complexity but I would like to use more of the bells and whistles. there are pretty good videos and really good user manual but wish some of the more complex features were spelled out a little better. -would love to have forum/location to share templates and tips/tricks with other users

Reasons for Switching to PhraseExpander

Textexpander seemed more geared towards Mac users and breevy was a little too simple. Dragon is great for dictating complex histories or plans but I like phraseexpander rather than the command feature of Dragon.

Response from Nagarsoft

Replied May 2020

Thanks for your nice words about PhraseExpander and the quality of the support service you received. And we are working on continuing to improve our training material.

Without phraseexpander I do almost nothing easily on the computer

I Use as: Path catalog: to store dozens of paths and use them to go straight into the explorer URL catalog: to store hundreds of URLs, and use them as bookmarks in the browser CSS, HTML, Javasript codes: I keep the most common codes, to always use as a starting point quickly Calculator: I use it a lot because I can type the expression that is calculated inline Clipboard history: Is the resource that i use most. Also use in dozens of software to automate tasks, such as dynalist, trello, workflowy, wordpress, etc.

Pros

It's very easy to use, the resources were very well planned to make our life as easy as possible, I saw that the developer really understands the subject and knows what he's doing. The software was meticulously planned to do tasks on the computer with incredible speed. I use it for everything, I have 614 templates (between phrases and automations) created. If I turn on the computer and phraseexpander is not running for some reason from my own computer, I stop everything to resolve it immediately. The backup system is fabulous, and I never lost any data. Support is awesome.

Cons

To be able to move up or down, that is, to change the phrasing priorities (templates) within the same group. For very advanced users like me who have several phrases with the same meaning, let's assume URLs, or phrases, but I want you to appear in the search within a group, with priorities that I define. Most users don't even need it, I believe. but I need. I also requested dark mode and I know it is in development, which is a luxury.

Reasons for Choosing PhraseExpander

AutoHotkey is very good, but requires a lot more learning, coding, etc ... and with phraseexpander it is much easier to use, register phrases, changes, etc. ... textexpander found it very expensive.

Waleed from Khyber Teaching Hospital

Phrase expander is the number one time saver for ‘doctors’ but may be not for “a doctor”

a useful software that has the potential for saving precious time of doctors if done right.

Pros

Phrase expander is a great software for professional people especially doctors who need to type a lot. This is something that saves really a lot of time. Free medical glossary is available so there is no need to enter alternative text/abbreviation for all the terms and yet the ability to save new abbreviations mean it can adapt to anyone using any phrases. 15 day free trial is available so you know for sure whether it will help you or not. When you buy the one for medical professionals, you can install it on any device which is kinda nice. Finally, the pricing is flexible, as they offer discounts to those who use competitors product or those who work for nonprofit or educational institutions.

Cons

The software is only available on windows, too bad we have to write on iPad at times and sometimes on even a chrome device. The free medical glossary is so devoid of the vast medical terminology. For example even some of the most common terms like tuberculosis are not pre-abbreviated. And so, you will have to work really hard to enter new phrases on daily basis. This makes it especially challenging for individual practitioners. There is no monthly pricing option. only yearly upgrade subscription at the moment. Which seem too much for a small software like this. E.g Microsoft office, the holy grail of softwares, costs about 40% less than this comparitevly tiny app.

Keith from Keith A Jackson, CPA, CGA

Almost Perfect

PhraseExpander saves me hours of typing, which I really appreciate because I was in my mid 30s before the world realized that typing wasn't just for the "girls" in the "steno pool". It was too late for me to learn to type properly. I use it mainly for timekeeping and billing in an accounting practice. PhraseExpander helps me keep service descriptions consistent. I always include the client's name in the service description so that misallocated time is easily spotted - PhraseExpander is a tremendous help with that.

Pros

The flexibility of PhraseExpander templates is outstanding. Products I used previously were pretty much limited to one fixed string per abbreviation.

Cons

I have a problem with editing the variables in more than one template at a time without exiting from and restarting PhraseExpander. I reached out for help but they didn't seem to be able to duplicate my problem. I had designed a number of templates before a new upgrade came out and renamed my variables as {{Fillin1}, {{Fillin2}} etc. Now when I rename {{Fillin1}} in template A, and then go on to template B (in which {{Fillin1}} may have an entirely different meaning than it has in template A), PhraseExpander tells me {{Fillin1}} is already open in the editor - and I cannot proceed.

Reasons for Choosing PhraseExpander

It seemed the best value for the money.

Reasons for Switching to PhraseExpander

Robotype came out with a revised version (4) that I couldn't make work for me.

Serge from Converis GmbH

Brief Review from a long-term user

We work a lot with standard text blocks - all day long. With Phrasexpander we have both a spell checker and a tool that saves a lot of time typing the same phrases day by day. It saves us a lot of time and improves the quality of writing.

Pros

Easy to use and it does what is expected in an efficient and stable way.

Cons

There is no Cons related to how we use PhraseExpander.

Reasons for Choosing PhraseExpander

Simple to use, works as expected and reuses pre-defined text-blocks in a high-quality and performant way.

Reasons for Switching to PhraseExpander

We used Nuance Dragon with Speech-to-Text functionality. Applying text standards or text corrections was not possible and the effort to learn and adapt to the system was much too high.

David from Schneider Miller, P.C.

Industry: Law Practice

best text expansion tool for windows

I use it every day to auto-populate info from excel data that saves me time needing to manually review the file for the relevant data. I also use it for run of the mill text expansion in my document drafting, time-entry recording, and email heavy line of work.

Pros

How well it works in most instances in windows.

Cons

Learning curve for building macros, and there was a new version release that changed alot of things I had spent time learning, shortly after I started using it, so it felt like time wasted. But not a huge deal-breaker.

Reasons for Switching to PhraseExpander

Text Expander was (I think) a Mac developed app ported to Windows, and it just didn't work that well

Rachel from RARE Swan

Save time and cut down on typos!

The program is really good and the customer service is excellent. I've run into a few bumps (see "cons" above) but so far nothing that has made me want to go back to a different utility.

Pros

I really love the automation, variables, flow, and data features. I'm continually finding new ways to put them to use to save time and improve accuracy and consistency.

Cons

1. I'd like more flexibility in terms of what can be used as the expansion key. For over 20 years using other expansion software I used the semicolon and I'm having a very hard time breaking that habit. 2. I wish the popup suggestions window was wider to show more of the description. I have a lot of templates that all start the same way but end differently. 3. I wish the order of the suggestions could be rearranged to override alphabetic order. For example, "ht" suggests "hemithyroid" and "hypertension." Since I use hypertension much more often than hemithyroid, I would choose to have hypertension be at the top of the list. 4. I wish I didn't have to open PE and use my mouse to activate/deactivate glossaries. My other program had the ability to switch glossaries with a key combination and I really miss that.

Reasons for Choosing PhraseExpander

More and better options for automation and flow, better user interface, better value for the money overall.

Reasons for Switching to PhraseExpander

I switched primarily because of cost. Now that I've been using PE for a while I appreciate the nice user interface and additional automation features too.

Irina from iKash, LLC

The BEST program ever created, hands down! 100 Stars

I have been using this program since 2014 - that means it's been 7 years! Holy moly. That should be a testament to my overall experience with PhraseExpander. LOL - I don't even know how to type the date anymore, my "dd" shortcut has saved me HOURS I'm sure in the last 7 years by simply NOT typing the date! This program also makes excel formulas really easy to use. I have a few formulas that I use every single day but the data is potentially in different cells so this saves me a ton of time too. I honestly couldn't imagine my machine without it.

Pros

The ease of setup! I was able to set up the program within minutes and learned how to use it in hours. Many programs are out there but you need a freaking IT degree to set them up (they do this on purpose, i think) - not this one! It's literally created to be EASY and SIMPLE to use for the everyday person. It's really the most important thing about this program.

Cons

Honestly, I liked the previous setup screen than the newest update.......... but that's just me. I feel like the previous UI was a little easier to use.

Reasons for Choosing PhraseExpander

i checked a few, but it was a while ago and i don't remember.

Eric from Eric G. Mart & Associates

Easy to Use Time Saver

The biggest benefit has been time saving and an increase in my efficiency when writing reports.

Pros

I write psychological assessment reports as part of my practice. PhraseExpander allows me to insert frequently used phrases into my report with a few keystrokes. It also allows me to insert tables and to make lists of behaviors and symptoms, using checklists that organize my observations (e.g., Mr. Smith reported symptoms of anxiety which included constant worry, increased startle reaction but he denies disrupted sleep or muscle tension). I can use a brief command to add my entire report format to Word. I estimate that PhraseExpander has cut my report writing time in half.

Cons

I don't dislike any particular aspect of the program. There is a bit of a learning curve when it comes to using some of the more complicated operations, but its not even necessary to use all the programs features for PhraseExpander to make report writing much more efficient.

Terry from Rusted Works Org.

PhraseExpander

It's simple to get set up and add new information to. I can't imagine not having PhraseExpander.

Pros

It makes repetitive entries/texts so much quicker and easier. The autocorrect feature is totally brilliant.

Cons

It's a tad pricey for my situation but I've yet to find anything to replace it.

Rob from OCKH

Best way to save time

The software works very well and support is superb. I cannot imagine not using this anymore and during out classes about entrepreneurship I always mention to the students to consider this.

Pros

This software enables me to quickly fill in information in emails, documents, websites and anywhere where I need to write text. Not only text can be expanded based in certain combinations of character of shortcuts but also customized via forms. Before we copied and pasted text and adjusted it but this was time consuming and mistakes where made. Now the variable pieces of text can be adjusted with a form and this helps me to not forget about each think I need to addapt. Also correction of typing is very useful. Sharing is also very useful. I create form on one laptop and on my other laptopn everything is synced> I can imagine that this is also useful in a company with several employees.

Cons

The basics of the forms are quite easy to implement but sometimes I need some additional time to figure out how to tackle a problem in the forms. Working with the variables can sometimes be complicated because this is not something I do daily. Sometimes that is why I procratinate sometimes making a certain form. However, support is great and fast. And when the form is finally ready it saves a tremendous amount of time.

Reasons for Switching to PhraseExpander

PhraseExpander is better and has more functionality.

Bonnie from TeamHealth/StaffSource

I did research to find the best text expansion program available for Windows; PEx does even more.

-Saves me time: about ten hours per month, demonstrably. -Keeps my right wrist healthy: the more I can use PhraseExpander for input or switch to different windows or applications, the less I use the mouse. -Cuts down on "menial" activity like typing, tracking, file renaming. -Makes work more interesting because I think of ways to use PhraseExpander to speed up my projects.

Pros

* Saves me about ten hours per month in typing, looking up numbers or phrases, flipping clipboard snippets, and switching apps/windows. * Data: Keeps detailed statistics. * Interface to the shortcuts is very detailed and flexible, allowing user to group and sort in many different ways. * I like the ability to toggle Auto Expansion on or off with a lightning bolt icon, for each and every snippet. * Easy to duplicate an existing snippet and tweak it for another use, another state, another facility... * Provides automatic inline search, a great help if I haven' t memorized an assigned keystroke yet. * Can easily set up a few expansions to start... later when you're more familiar with it, go back and organize the interface or flesh them out. * Customer service is very responsive; the developer has personally helped me a couple times. For Mac users: PhraseExpander is like a strange marriage between TextExpander, Alfred and Keyboard Maestro. It has greatly improved my workday relationship with Windows.

Cons

*Could be used as a Launcher, except it doesn't index commands or locations automatically; must be set individually. *There was some learning curve the first two weeks; I definitely had to look some things up online or in the manual. *Would like to be able to sort the statistics data, I could mine it for more ideas.

Brad from Boehringer Ingelheim

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Awesome support!

Highly, highly recommended. Great software and, even more important, great product support!

Pros

This software has been easy to use since day one. Very intuitive. Also, it has so much more functionality than simply a "phrase expander" that I've become addicted to it. My favorite extra part is starting applications with keyboard shortcuts. It's just great software. But I recently learned about the best part of PhraseExpander. I had an issue with a software update, so I emailed the developer and, within a minute or so, I had a response right back. He was so on top of the issue that I couldn't keep up! I've never experienced that kind of tech support anywhere. BTW, he figured out the issue and sent me an updated version so quick that I never felt for a minute that I was running without the software. I hate writing software reviews because I usually find them fake and insincere, so I guess it says something that I'm actually writing about PhraseExpander. You can trust that not only does the software work well, but if you have a problem, you won't be stranded trying to figure out how to fix it from some blog or website.

Cons

Love it all, not a single issue with this software.

Toby from Friends University

Industry: Mental Health Care

Versatile solution without any real limits

Pros

It is boundless in its application. I have been using PhraseExpander for over 5 years. I used it as an IT Administrator, and I use it in my current, transitional job as a manager of the Friends University Cyber Security Lab. I am also full-time student in the Marriage and Family Therapy masters program at Friends Univerity,and I use it constantly in my client documentation. From CLI commands in Unix to filling out a DSM-5 diagnosis, PhraseExpander doesn't let me down.

Cons

The autoupdate is not so "auto" in the Sharing feature. I have autoupdate configured, but if I make a change in a template, then that change will not update until I "Send Changes". So, if I make a change and forget to sycn, then that change won't be there on my other device. I will say, though, I was having to make a backup and restore the database if I wanted it on more than one device. Sharing is a HUGE benefit. Coupled with Microsoft OneDrive, it does work fabulously.

Reasons for Switching to PhraseExpander

I used VB scripts, auto-complete and macros to accomplise Microsoft Office what PhraseExpander can do across my entire system.

Eric from Cox Automotive

Life and time saver.

I mainly use PhraseExpander to easily and quickly compose emails, and I also use it to automatically fill out web forms. I can confidently say that it has saved me hours of work, and has allowed me more time to focus on more productive tasks.

Pros

Extensive customization. Easy setup. Ease of use. Value for money. Personalized and responsive customer support.

Cons

For what I use it for, none that I can think of. I might have a more critical opinion if I took advantage of the software's full capabilities.

Reasons for Choosing PhraseExpander

It did everything I needed it to do, and I felt the price was fair. Although BeefText is free, it does not have the formatting capabilities that PhraseExpander has, and I don't think it could handle web form automation (don't quote me on that).

Reasons for Switching to PhraseExpander

I previously was using PhraseExpress, but their constant nagware was annoying, and crashed my computer multiple times a day. If you don't pay for a license, the software disables your keyboard for like 30 seconds, and progressively slow down my machine until it crashed. I couldn't see myself paying a ridiculous price for a subscription for that type of service. Besides, I'm not a corporation, just a guy who wants to automate a few repetitive tasks in order to improve my job satisfaction. They didn't seem to have that option. Switching to PhraseExpander was a breeze. I'd say it was much more intuitive than PhraseExpress, and it seems to have equivalent capabilities. I liked that it wasn't pre-loaded with a bunch of settings and examples that I would never use. I spent more time deleting stuff from PhraseExpress than I spent setting up PhraseExpander.

Adel from Riverview Medical Center

It saves me a lot of time,

save time

Pros

Portability , I can use it on different computers and share the glossary, easy to make templates and convert list into phrase.

Cons

sometimes it gives an error that the file format is not valid and it could not save the work The window from phrase expander interfere with the drop down box of some application and I am not able to open phrase expander away from what I type features specially saving are very slow when I open the Dragon dictation software You should have an auto learning feature like android to give you a list of the common words you use when you type the first letters of the world you should incorporate a medical dictionary and update the list of drugs there is no way to find a saved phrase unless you remember the abbreviation, you should have a feature where if you type one word you get a list of templates which contain this word auto correction feature do not work well You should have a feature where you design a template with a check list with radio buttons

Response from Nagarsoft

Replied July 2017

Thanks so much for your feedback, Adel. I'm happy to hear that PhraseExpander is saving you a lot of time. We are fixing the file format issue you mentioned (that happens in very rare conditions) in the upcoming v.5 Regarding the suggestions window popup, you have the option to set it to open below or above, so it will not interfere with your other applications. And we are working on the autolearning feature as well. Regarding templates, you can actually design templates with radio lists, grids and checked buttons (this is available in the Professional edition). Once you build up your library, it can be hard to find the phrase that you want. That's why we have Quick Find. Press ALT+space to pull that up. From there you can search for the contents of any phrase you have in your library.

Niels from Swedish Medical Center

After testing all of them, I went with PhraseExpander

Pros

I've tested all of the text replacement programs I could find for PC. A couple of them I used very extensively, and got very proficient in programming macros with them, but I reached the limit of what they could do, and needed a better option. PhraseExpander gives me features that no other program has. For example, no other program has 3-state buttons, or answers "yes", "no" and "n/a", letting me create custom wording for each of the situations. I can create long medical notes that look just like they would if I had typed or dictated them with few clicks. This way I can see patients without the distraction of typing excessively, or having to cut their time short so I can go dictate a note before seeing my next patient. Another feature that is extremely useful is being able to edit the "canned" responses I prepared from the form, not having to go into the program again. Another thing I like is the preview boxes, that concatenate my answers in real time, and I can click in the text and edit it at any time, without having to execute the whole macro. This is a huge feature that no other program I tested had. My favorite is the grid forms, that let me write notes for very specific scenarios that were a nightmare to template for with other software, but with the grid form, it's easy to program the macro and to use it. Remembering macros was hard with other programs and since I have over 1000 macros to choose from that's nearly impossible. PE has auto-complete. EASY!

Cons

I'm told version 5 will help with building gender-specific forms, and more "logic" features to program macros that are more advanced. I'll welcome those changes.

Maria from Young Drivers of Canada

Keeping up with the times!

I have been using this software for YEARS! ... Long before it was renamed to PhraseExpander! It was recommended to me by a family member that used it to expedite the use of repeated phrases/emails for his online business. I jumped at the recommendation and haven't looked back since! I have had computers crash, I have lost product keys in my inbox, I have had general questions about product updates and the response from Phrase Expander has been 5 stars each and every time. In each case, assistance was provided and my problem solved. I am sure that I am not using the features to their fullest extent and would love access to some tutorials to help me learn more! I have recommended it to friends and colleagues as well! The usage statistics blow my mind about how much time is saved! Highly recommend!

Pros

Everything is pretty easy! From renewal to creating new phrasing. Support is 5 stars.

Cons

I am not sure I have anything negative to say except maybe ways to use the product in more ways for other applications!

Reasons for Switching to PhraseExpander

It was offered to me by the developers as an upgrade! No regrets!

Mark from Bureau Hartebaan

Great easy program, great helpdesk.

I can sent a lot of homework with links and pictures very fast and easy.

Pros

I have been using PhraseExpander for 8 years. It is easy to set up, even without any programming knowledge. PhraseExpander offers the most convenience, value and features for its price. If I have a problem, I get great help very quickly from an expert/programmer. PhraseExpander saves me a lot of time and prevents typing errors. I warmly recommend PhraseExpander.

Cons

I can always handle the mail and sending homework on my own even it is a lot. That saves a nice colleague. So I have to keep working alone.

Reasons for Choosing PhraseExpander

Easy, smaller program for my computer, good reviews, recommended professional helpdesk and supported Import and export! So other than when you're with PhraseExpress, you're always free to go and take all your phrases with you.

I switched from Mac to Windows

Christopher from Olmsted Medical Center

PhraseExpander: Speed, consistency, reliability, ease-of-use; it has it ALL!

Hundreds of uses! Working in a healthcare facility we not only use PhraseExpander for the obvious stuff (templates for visit notes, standardized forms, etc.), but we also use it for searching through 70k+ ICD-10 codes to quickly help staff order labs and document in their notes tremendously faster. Imagine quickly searching through thousands of codes with lightning speed and with a keystroke entering that code into an order field. PhraseExpander has proven to be a huge asset to my organziation and we look forward to continuing to use it for years to come.

Pros

Ease of use. Having to train hundreds of providers, nurses, and support staff on yet another product is never a treat... until PhraseExpander. I was able to teach my organization quickly and effiently. Power. Think outside the box. I set up phrases for ICD-10 codes, provider names, and commonly prescribed medications.

Cons

Nothing yet.

Alex from Database Software Solutions Limited

PhraseExpander

As a product it is first class. It saves me considerable time, effort and removes the tedium from repetitive typing. I looked at a few alternatives, but they seem complicated to set up and didn't have the macro creation capability. Its intuitive user interface is what gives it the edge for me.

Pros

It is simple to set up templates (phrases) Phrases can be formatted to RTF so there is no need to tidy them up once pasted into Word and Outlook It allows you to deign your own macros, so that when the phrase is played, you can insert customisation easily. Support is fast, efficient and friendly.

Cons

PRICING If you buy it from the USA, its $149 If you buy it in the UK its £149 With purchasing other software, the USA price is converted into UK sterling.

Reasons for Switching to PhraseExpander

Simplicity and greater value.

Joy from APS

Couldn't live without it!!

This program makes the difference between a professional healthcare note and one that is lacking. It takes the agony out of writing excellent notes and allows us doctors to focus on the patient as much as possible. Truly one of a kind, as I've tried other "look alike" programs and this one is in a different league all together. The program feels like it was made just for us and anticipates what we need as far as features and ease of use. Technical support is unbelievably good and responsive. You feel like your business is truly important to the company, and I believe this product will just keep getting better!

Pros

Excellent and keeps getting better

Cons

Learning curve but very well worth any minute spent getting to the advanced level

Sheri from The Villages health

Phrase-Expander Enthusiast

Pros

Phrase Expander has removed barriers to documentation efficiencies throughout our organization. We are able to build glossaries and share amongst team members. This has enabled us to create standardized processes which are easy to maintain and update. It multi-functionality works with a variety of programs removing duplicative efforts when you experience a change in software. I appreciate the collaboration and support we have received from Representative and his team for the past 3 years.

Cons

I do not see any cons with this software.

Response from Nagarsoft

Replied February 2019

Thank you for your review, Sheri. It had been a real pleasure serving you for the past years and we are exciting for the new possibilities you'll gain with the new PhraseExpander 5 that includes conditional logic and dynamic templates.

John from JohnNagamine

I use this program constantly. I could not function without it.

Saves HUNDREDS of hours. More accurate charting / less typos. Faster than dictation. Faster and using Dragon. I use both Dragon with this program to make custom charts. (So not all notes are identical.) Spend more time with patients / less looking at the "box." Every physician needs this! Much better then other programs I have used.

Pros

Reliable. FAST. Able to customize phrases on the fly. Easy to view a list and organize my HUNDREDS of macro phrases. Back-up on-line via drop box and keep ALL my 13 computers + 2 laptops up-to-date.

Cons

I quickly get rusty and creating new more complicated phrases/macros. I have to review the on-line tutorials before making large complex macros. More menu-driven would be easier. Updates are great.. but seems to always have some new update to install.

Megan from Kalae Consulting LLC

Incredible time saver - Essential to my job...

Efficient Time Management. I have the ability to use and customize phrases, paragraphs, and forms in a fraction of the time it would take to type out responses every single time I am recording my documentation. My documentation is more comprehensive since I am using my custom prompts so I don't leave out key points, but I also use the application for the mundane entries, like my business addresses, passwords, and ID numbers. Total game changer!

Pros

Flexibility. Having multiple options for forms, choice options, custom phrases, on-the-spot corrections and updates... This list of the options that I like "the most" is innumerable. This application is essential to capturing correct and complete data every time I sit down to record provider documentation. The icing on the cake is that the PhraseExpander developers truly want and listen to their client's feedback and desires. New functionality is coming based upon this constructive feedback and the commitment to creating an outstanding application!

Cons

Although the base functionality is simple to learn, there are a few nuances that have taken a few weeks to adapt and adopt into my workflows.

Matthew from Erlanger Health System

Saves time and makes text templates easy.

As a physician, I type the same thing over and over again in multiple notes. It was very easy to program and create my own note templates using PhraseExpander and save a ton of time letting me use my own personalized templates. It lets me bypass IT and multiple committees and gives me the ability to create all my own personalized templates with ease, saving me lots of time typing.

Pros

Easy to use and saves tons of time.

Cons

Sorta costly with some initial learning curve hurdles. The price is worth it in time saved though and version 5.0 will make the note templates very easy to create making this a easier to use very good template software rivaling that of some of the big EMRs (without the need for IT and multiple committees).

Thomas from Kneeland CPA, P.C.

PhraseExpander 2010 review from a CPA

The problems we have solved primarily surround email templates that multiple staff members need to send to clients in a consistent way. We also use it to automate various phrases used in our PM system.

Pros

Especially in the world of Windows, there are not too many great text expander options available. Having said that this product accomplishes simple text expander features as well as advanced macros etc. It is truly a phenomenal product, and also can be used to set up templates for consistency across the organization.

Cons

There are really no cons. However, I would like to see the product expand with customizing macro templates, etc. for other industries besides medical.

Reasons for Choosing PhraseExpander

Quality, ease-of-use, and advanced features

Adam from NW Family Medicine and Obstetrics

Time Saver, Customizable

Pros

Works well and is reliable. I use it to make templates with variables for HPI, ROS, Exam, Treatment plans. It allows me to use my own language and therefore templates are worded appropriately and the result doesn’t look like a templated result.

Cons

Doesn’t work well with Surface X. Shuts down randomly but this seems to be improving with each update!

Hassan from NHS

Excellent For Medical Notes

Excellent, very useable and time saving software. Definitely recommend even if you think you would save a little time because in the end it will save you a lot of time.

Pros

The software is excellent at what it does, which is expand shortcuts to pre-defined text. In addition the customisable components make it much more useful, particularly when entering medical notes.

Cons

The main issue I have come across is the lack of a portable version. As a healthcare worker moving across various working environment as systems you cannot always install software such as this, especially if it ties in to a licence. A version that you could run in a browser or install without admin privileges and use across multiple computers (one at a time of course, with a licence) would make this much more useful and practical. For this reason I have had to use alternative software but would be desperate to use PhraseExpander if such functional was enabled.

Response from Nagarsoft

Replied April 2021

Thanks so much for the nice words and the suggestions. A portable version is definitely in our plans. Thank you.

Kristoffer from Kanad Hospital

Designed with the user in mind!

In medicine, we talk about 'practice-changing' updates that come from evidence based medicine. I would call PhraseExpander a 'practice-changing' product for every practitioner's workflow! I've never come across such an intelligently designed and helpful product that streamlines documentation and saves so much valuable time!

Pros

PhraseExpander has so many wonderful features. I consistently save an incredible amount of time each time I'm in clinic or on a call shift. When working a 24 hour call shift, saving 1-1.5 hours on documentation makes a huge impact. But one of the things I love the most is the real practicality of the software. It consistently works great, without hassle. The set up takes only a short time to learn and wonderful tutorial videos and instructional manuals are provided. I've never seen something with such great support in the setup process. And what I've found is that at every turn there are shortcuts or quick helps to making using the product a breeze. I've been in information technology and in healthcare a long time and am SO glad I've finally found something game changing - PhraseExpander.

Cons

There are an abundance of helpful features, the integration into my workflow was really smooth, and the function and stability of the product is excellent. I really can't think of a 'least like' despite trying.

Matthew from R.O.E.

Surprisingly Powerful, Indispensable to My Work

Strong report writing capabilities that permit complex reasoning processes to be simplified into a template that a less skilled/knowledgeable individual can use, and achieve the same result.

Pros

The template builder has made a world of difference to me in developing systematic and reproducible templates that make creating intricate arguments, reporting, and data reviews simple.

Cons

There is definitely a learning curve to understand the capabilities and significant time required to build your templates in the first place.

Reasons for Choosing PhraseExpander

Cost and time to implement initially, but the newer template building capabilities may obviate the need to upgrade even as we grow.

Carla from Health Solutions

Save Time and Reduce Frustration

I have previously used at least 5 other text expanders and used one that is similar to PhraseExpander for the last 5 years in my medical practice. Recently, after changes in my practice model, I realized I could improve by workflow even more by creating new phrases/templates. The product I was using could do 99% of what I wanted but not that last 1%. Then I trialled PhraseExpander. I needed the ability to choose variables with their associated monetary charges and have the total of all the selected items charges listed. It seemed like PhraseExpander could do this but my first attempts to create a template for it weren't quite right. I didn't yet quite understand the advanced macro codes/language. I reached out to customer support responded VERY quickly and sent me a perfect template with explanations. I've been amazed by the customer support that beats all others. And now that I've had more time to read the user manual, I'm able to understand the advanced macro functions better on my own. I highly recommend PhraseExpander!

Pros

Ease of use. Customer support! Does the basics elegantly. Advanced features not found in other programs.

Cons

So far, not really any. The highly advanced macro functions just require a bit more time with the user manual or a little help from customer support (which is superb) and then you're good to go and will be amazed at how much time you'll save in your workflow!

Response from Nagarsoft

Replied February 2019

I'm glad to hear that Carla. It has been a real pleasure helping you out. And we are publishing new templates and tutorials very soon to make getting started easier. Thanks!

Daniel from Chelsea Podiatry

Very good program that does what it is expected to do.

Pros

The ability to create boiler plate text. Auto correct spelling mistakes. They are continuing to make improvements.

Cons

How to remember all the names of the boiler plate text.... not sure how this can be done but would be nice to have some kind of drop down or recall system.

Response from Nagarsoft

Replied April 2018

Thanks so much for your review, Daniel. I'm so happy to hear that PhraseExpander is working well for you. I'm aware that, when you have set many phrases, remembering them can be hard. That's why PhraseExpander comes with Quick Find, a simple popup - that you can invoke from any app by pressing ALT+SPACE - that lets you search for the contents of any phrase. You can learn more on how to trigger phrases at https://docs.phraseexpander.com/article/23-how-to-trigger-a-phrase#quickfind

Devon from Modern Psychological & Allied Services, PLLC

Save time and improve accuracy

This is such a wonderful program! I worked a full day on Saturday (9am to 6pm) and was able to submit atll my reports later that night. It is not just the time saved, before this I felt exhausted at the end of a day. Now, I get through with my patients faster and I'm not tired as before having this program. I beat the two-weeks deadlines and generally get my reports in within 48 hours. Also, since I’ve shared the templates with my supervisee, the reports are now uniformed no matter who did the assessment. My wife commented that she is happy that I spend less time on the computer. I am continuously editing my templates, hoping to reach the point where the report is fully ready once I'm finished with patient, with no need to do minor edits. Thank you, thank you!!

Pros

The interactive nature makes it fun even when creating templates. Easy to use, flexible.

Cons

Cannot think of any. Seriously. It is just a wonderful program to me.

Reasons for Choosing PhraseExpander

I wanted to have more time and energy with my family. Psychological evaluation rrporte are time consuming. spend more time

Gil from Quality Asset Management

So powerful and useful + amazing support

I found unusual uses for the software. I have recurring tasks in Outlook. Whenever the task comes up, I can insert the entire list of things to do, and delete items I completed. By next time I the recurring reminder comes up, I can start over easily. It is great for starting up client emails using a template.

Pros

I am a very demanding user. I uncover shortcomings in software very quickly. This software has the ultimate combination of: 1. Very powerful out of the box. 2. Anything that doesn't work for me gets quick attention. You may have one simple thing in mind when considering this software, but it can do so much! Start small, and keep expanding.

Cons

This is not really a con. The software is so powerful, and requires some setup and learning. I recommend setting up something very basic, getting used to it, and then building up from there. This way, you will start reaping the benefits quickly.

Reasons for Choosing PhraseExpander

It is the most powerful!

Eduardo from Partner Hero

The software itself is very helpful, easy to use. The customer support was very helpful.

On a regular basis as a customer support agent, I had to sent almost 40 emails per day, with Phrase Expander I was able to save time and send more than 40 emails daily. Andrea, the CEO was extremely flexible with the free trial period.

Pros

The commands and transcripts are very easy to set on your account. It made my typing faster and easier. The customer support was extremely helpful with us while using the trial version and they help us transitioned to the paid version.

Cons

When I upgraded to the paid version or the free trial expired all of my commands were removed. Due to this, I had to type everything again.

Response from Nagarsoft

Replied September 2017

Thanks for your feedback and nice words, Eduardo. I'm sorry you had problems when moving to the licensed version and that you had to reeenter your phrases. Not sure of what happened but DATA IS PRESERVED when registering the product. PhraseExpander also automatically backs up your data so you are always be able to restore your phrases. If you had got in touch with me, I could have helped you out and restoring the information.

Paul from Vanguard Interventional Pain Specialists

A must for any busy medical practice

Very happy that we started to use this program in our office. For someone who can not type very fast, and usually have many repetitive things to write, this is a life saver. I highly recommend it to anyone.

Pros

We use it in almost everything we write in the practice from patient's H&P and any letters or communications that is needed to run a medical practice. The program is very well integrated into our EMR and helps to finish the task so much more efficiently.

Cons

Not much, but still don't know how to use some of the template creating features to make our office work even better.

Easy to use software but ...

First I tested it and figured very quick out that only the Professional version fits my needs because I needed the dynamic templates. Now I don't want miss all the features PhraseExpander offers me. It saves me each day a lot of time by autofill things what I use on daily basis.

Pros

That it is easy to use this software. Also easy to customize to your own needs Saves a lot of time.

Cons

The license model. That means that usual a license starts when you buy a license or upgrade one. At prase expander if you bought it for example in March and renew your subscription for example in July of next year your subscripton runs then not from July to July it runs then from July to March of the following year.

Reasons for Switching to PhraseExpander

More features and more easy handling

Stuart from Stuart J Wild Pty Ltd

An essential part of my daily workflow

Greatly reduces the burden of EMR and correspondence.

Pros

Fast, seamless background program that speeds my data entry in EMR and correspondence.

Cons

Would like more detailed information about using the advanced feature set so that I can become more proficient at using its deeper features.

Reasons for Choosing PhraseExpander

Much, much better support!

Reasons for Switching to PhraseExpander

Poor support with Phrase Express, although they do appear to have a sophisticated product. Other products just didn't have the range of features or wouldn't work with my EMR.

Michael from Three Rivers Family Medicine

Phrase Expander Review

Very satisfied as a text expander program is a necessity

Pros

Ease of use Customizability Continually updated and improved Autocorrect function and customizability very helpful Easily integrates into the background with our electronic medical record

Cons

While the upfront cost is reasonable the continued updates are a bit pricey for large scale office use

Reasons for Switching to PhraseExpander

Phrase expander is better suited for my needs as a physician. Very intuitive and easily customized.

Michael from Presentation Medical Center

Started using on a recommendation from Elation EHR software. Easy to implement and use.

Saves hours weekly and hundreds of keystrokes.

Pros

It saves me hundreds of keystrokes every day. It is easy to set up and distribute to my other users using Dropbox to share the glossaries. Basic phrases are simple to set up. Forms and templates are a breeze to create. Program sits in backround and does not seem to take up much overhead. It is fast to fill in whatever phrase you are using.

Cons

My only gripe is there is no version for Apple, otherwise I have no problems with this software!!!!!

Jonathan from EvergreenHealth

Most useful tool for ambulatory practice I have ever used

This program has changed every aspect of my daily clinical workflow for the better. The customer support is unparalleled and the frequency and value of the updates are the envy of any other program. I cannot recommend this program enough. The depth of options continue to impress me and I continually find new ways to tweak my charting each day.

Pros

ease of use, depth of options and ability to modify templates.

Cons

unable to do algorithmic templates. (ie. if this box in a list is clicked then do this series of functions and text)

MANSOOR from ARTHRITIS & OSTEOPOROSIS CENTER OF KENTUCKY

THIS IS EXTREMELY USER FRIENDLY SOFTWARE. It has made a great deal of difference in my daily work.

EXPLAINED IN DETAIL IN MY REVIEW

Pros

" I am a physician and I like to document my patient's notes while I see them. This software is very intelligently designed with a ton of functionality. I have customized it to my practice needs. It has reduced my documentation time, cut down typing errors and made my notes look very professional.

Cons

It is a hard question. Perhaps more functionality in text formatting and ability to insert tables with formulas or calculators can enhance the features.

Iris from Optimize Neurology PLLC

Increased productivity

Templates for things that are used often or are tedious to recreate really have been a game changer for my clinic.

Pros

Integrating with my electronic medical record was easy and my productivity went up significantly!

Cons

There is so much you can do with it that it is a little overwhelming if you don't block off time to learn about it in the beginning. I get so much out of how I use it but can't help but think I could do even better if I sat down to play around with it more.

William from Western Governors University

My Take on PhraseExpander

While it was a little more of a learning curve than others I tested, I think PhaseExpander is the best bet for the money and the features rival the more expensive models. Thanks for being there for the regular user like me.

Pros

I really like the cost to benefit for my main reason. I really liked the PhraseExpress interface but the cost was hard to muster. Finding the happy medium with PhraseExpander is great. Having the ability create forms is by far the best feature.

Cons

Maybe I just don't know how to include it...I do not see a way for the software to add dates...I have a need to have auto calculation for dates but do not see that in the training or my trial and error. I would like for the system to add 7 days, 14, 21, etc...or 6 months from the current month when a student term ends...

Cost

Jaap from SFK

Industry: Information Services

Top product anyone should use

This software saves me a lot of time, especially since I'm not the fastest typist on the planet. I imported a large list of (long) medication names and all I have to type now is three letters. I also created some standard letters with the macro/form function. Fill in a few words in the form and presto! the letter is complete.

Pros

Very stable (unlike others I tried) Easy to add your own word lists from e.g. excel list Fast Good implementation of macro and forms. And last but not least: very fast and personal support from the developer when needed.

Cons

There is a learning curve (but help is good) Seems te depend heavily on the developer, that may prove a vulnerability in the future.

David from Infinity Medical Group

Can't practice medicine without it.

see review

Pros

I use an AWESOME EHR (Elation Health), but it does not support full visit templates, so PhraseExpander is a lifesaver. It allows me to set up shortcuts that would otherwise force me to type repetitive phrases, paragraphs, procedure notes, advice given, and forms over and over and over... and over again. PhraseExpander saves me 30-120 minutes a day of time, but incalculable frustration. I would call that priceless.

Cons

Maybe the price, but considering how much time it saves, totally worth it. I do wish it handled graphics, but my EHR doesn't support imported graphics, so maybe a moot point.

Kimberly from Affronti, LLC

Industry: Law Practice

Best Program EVER!

Pros

I love that you can use this program in any application.

Cons

I do not like that if you minimize the program it always hides and you have to go back into the start menu to restart it. I frequently add new shortcuts throughout the day.

Response from Nagarsoft

Replied September 2020

Hi Kimberly, Thanks for the nice review. I just wanted to point out that PhraseExpander, when you minimize it, is still active in the tray area, so you don't need to restart it again. Please write me if you need further help with this.

CHAD from Edmonds Eye

Great time saver

Phrase expander has been great! We can now chart more quickly and efficiently. Not only have the macros helped to fill in quick templates, but we can now use it to query data from different formulas and questionnaires. When charting before we had to open a excel file, fill in all the data, transfer the data back into the chart then upload the whole excel file into the chart. With 6 doctors, trying to make sure we had the correct file was even more time consuming, and we had to worry about patient data stored on our hard drives. Now everything is calculated and entered directly into the chart for easy access and easier compliance.

Pros

Reduces significant time while charting.

Cons

There are a few extra steps to input into a flash text field.

Manish from Southwest Orthopaedic Group

This small piece of software has changed my life a busy surgeon. I allows me to VERY.

Everyday while using my computer both at home and at work in my busy medical practice.

Pros

Amazing templates that are very easy to set up. No coding experience required. One of the customer rep is always available and helpful online.

Cons

I will we could use the software while creating templates. I were creating a template, PhraseExpander should still be working, if possible.

Response from Nagarsoft

Replied February 2018

Thanks for your nice feedback, Manish. We'll soon add the ability to use text expansion inside templates as well.