Browse DbVisualizer Reviews

Genuine from Bupa Dental Corporation

Game changer!

Mainly data collection from our standalone systems, to support advanced data analytics and reporting.

Pros

DbVisualizer was a game changer for us when we were evaluating expensive products to do data collection. It provided as with cost effective options to collect large amount of data effortlessly.

Cons

None that I can think of. It worked great and met all our requirements.

Reasons for Choosing DbVisualizer

Cost effective and ease of use & implementation.

Expensive

Paul from Denodo Technologies

Best SQL Workbench tool that you'll find

I do a lot of experimentation using DbVisualizer. It allows me to easily modify database schema, load new 'experimental' datasets, and then run queries against them. (Hence, if I had Python scripting in DbVisualizer, I could do everything in there and I would only ever use DbVisualizer).

Pros

It's easy to connect to databases, easy to manage and query them, it's simply a fantastic tool for anyone who frequently interacts with databases. I use it in preference to the database vendor's own tools - I use one tool to rule them all :^).

Cons

I haven't come across any yet. But...if I had a wish list feature that I could add to DbVisualizer, it would be support for something like Python scripting within DbVisualizer itself. That would give me the perfect tool.

Reasons for Choosing DbVisualizer

I found DbVisualizer much easier to use than any of these alternatives. It was more intuitive and the database driver and database connection wizards make it easy to connect to any database that I need to use.

Reasons for Switching to DbVisualizer

I was fed up on having to learn new tools and switch between different tools with different commands for each and every database. DbVisualizer gives me all of that control and functionality in a single tool.

Fullt functional multi-platform database client

Overall DbVisualizer has become a staple in my toolbox because I am able to access different platform databases without having to switch between the vendor-provided tools. It has many of the features that I need and would gain by using the other tools.

Pros

The ability to connect to a database-independent of platform from a single tool is the biggest reason for my use of DbVisualizer. The tool provides a single tool that can query or inspect the database structure.

Cons

There is not much to dislike about the tool, but it would be nice to have the option to export to Excel. The export feature is something that I do use regularly and being able to get data into Excel for business users to consume would be helpful.

charles from Levvel LLC

DB Visualizer

Excellent; Support is first rate and the online manual supplies practical examples for scripting or the use of variables.

Pros

Ability to connect to almost any ODBC/JDBC compliant data emgine. Ease of using either tabs or multiple SQL statements in a single tab. Ability to import data from desktop to remote data store. Ability to do an explain/execution plan ( if db engine supports functionality) and get a relative idea of data paths for a query.

Cons

Lack of "find/attribute help" when writing a query or SQL statement. Many tools provide "bubble help" of attributes as you type.

Reasons for Choosing DbVisualizer

Other tools were either to specialized for a particular db engine or had limitations on what was supported for use in certain db engines.

Nick from Healthcare - Victoria

Long time user and fan of DbVisualizer - Great tool.

Having used DBVisualizer for more than 10 years, it is my 'go to' tool for Database mapping and exploration, direct querying and query building.

Pros

SQL History, Format SQL, SQL Preview, View data, Explore tables, Generic connection support, Search function.

Cons

There is not much to dislike. This product saves so much time over other products, and there are functions that I haven't even got to using yet.

Reasons for Choosing DbVisualizer

DBVisualizer offered a comprehensive trial version, providing time to explore the vast number of functions and capabilities of the software. JDBC and generic connectivity options for supporting many database types. Value and price were also contributing factors.

Rob from RB Consulting, Inc.

DB Visualizer is My Choice For a Broad Number of Engines

Pros

This product is easy enough to use that I have even configured it for non-technical customers to allow them to easily browse and even edit data. There is some setup in those situations, but it is minimal (create the connection)

Cons

I love this product. I cannot think of anything that I am not happy with.

Reasons for Choosing DbVisualizer

It procides what I need and has features like tracking prior queries and easy import/export that I find highly useful when I need them even though I do not use them on a regular basis.

Marcos from IQ Management Enterprises, Inc.

DbVisualizer Ease of Use

It my opinion it’s an excellent product.

Pros

The ability to reverse engineer the objects is most important.

Cons

I have not discovered anything yet. I use it for postgres.

Rich features.

Edwin from NostraData

It gets the job done

Overall this is a great tool to use and it's gets the job done with any fuzz.

Pros

The integration with different databases are easy. I used this tool to connect toVertica, MariaDB, and SQL. I don't have to open another tool to connect to different databases which is very convenient. The code them color customization is also a nice feature.

Cons

The code auto completion can be improved to make it more intuitive

Valentyn from LPDG

Everything you need to work with any SQL database

I use DbVis for database administration tasks (create users, roles, database objects) as well for writing SQL queries and run complex data analysis.

Pros

It supports almost all SQL databases, which have jdbc driver. As a person who works with 10th of different databases, I can organize connections and all my scripts properly.

Cons

It could consume less memory, but it's written in Java, so I can not expect that much.

Review of DbVisualizer

DbVisualizer is one of the best multiple database management tools. I use it to manage, MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, DB2, Oracle, and H2. Really nice to be able to use one interface to address all these different databases.

Pros

Support for so many different databases!

Cons

I don’t like the new taskbar icon. It washes out a bit.

James from Legalserver

One of my "Must Have" Tools

Pros

I've been using DBVis for about as long as it's been around. I recall using it back around 1999. This product has continued to evolve and improve, which is why I continue to subscribe to annual updates. The greatest benefit I've gotten from the app is a single platform providing access to any data source having a JDBC driver (which is probably near all of them) and that exposes those differing systems in a common and consistent way. There is absolutely no noticeable lag or buffering or constant cache updates like I see with another product.

Cons

Prior to about 2017 I'd have very little to say here. Around that time I began using a programming editor, JetBrains IntelliJ Ultimate. Part of that software is their full DataGrip application. Somehow, they've got the edge when it comes to code completion and object introspection. The responsiveness within the UI is so much quicker and smoother than when I enable auto-completion in DbVis.

Reasons for Choosing DbVisualizer

I use both DbVis and IntelliJ DataGrip (bundled with their editor). For it's integration with editor and object introspection, DG is preferred. For an overall more responsive and flexible experience, I use DbVis.

Dominik from Freelancer

Long time users review

Very helpful on my day to day usage as java backend developer. A lot more features the small IDE plugins for DB access.

Pros

The functionality, at least of the Pro version, is absolutely fantastic for me as Java developer mainly for backends and data persistency layers. The huge number of supported databases matches with every of my project requirements in the past. The ability to export (part of) tables and whole databases into SQL and a few other formats was very helpful. The content assistent of the SQL editor reduce the need for writing all those verbose table and column names by hand.

Cons

Sometimes it is hard to find the right option within the preferences for a given feature. And queries with large result sets sometimes make the application hang and one has to restart the whole application. But afterwards it's possible to decrement the max result size and run the query again. The content assistent could learn more about the current scope in order to provide more options for auto text completion.

Michael from University of California, Berkeley

Fantastic database tool for software professionals

DbVisualizer has helped me in my work greatly for many years. I believe it's been a decade or more that I've been using it. I've tried other database tools, but in my work, no other software is as comprehensive and quick to use as DbVisualizer.

Pros

My favorite three things in DbVisualizer are 1) variable replacement and 2) inline export functionality. The time I save exporting my results as a CSV as the query is running is super helpful! It happens right inline with my scripted queries using the @export command and its settings. I love it. Finally, 3) the documentation is great. I can always find what I'm looking for with the online documentation, when I need it.

Cons

This is a user preference issue, and just my opinion: The theme (colors, fonts, etc.) options changed with the last version on Mac and I would like to be able to use the original theme from earlier versions. In fairness, I haven't spent the time to investigate if this is possible, but the 4 or 5 themes you are given as startup options are not great, to me.

Johan from Johan Andersson Holding i Uppsala AB

Everyday data manipulation tool, including weekends

I've been using DbVisualiser for many years and I've never felt the need to consider another tool for my database needs. I use this professionally as wellas for my hobby projects and DbVisualizer is light enough to be used at home and strong enough to handle extensive reports that I do at work (and export them to excel ) Over the 10+ years I've contacted support and have always had a prompt response and very qualified help.

Pros

I use this toll with everything from H2 embedded databses to Oracle production servers and the thing I like most is how I'm given the best support for all of these databaseses/vendors .

Cons

Whenever I have run into "limitations" in this product I immediatly consider if the thing I'm trying to do is a "good" way of doing things or if there is another way that will work with the tool and also be maintainable. (having a 30000+ lines of pl/sql-script might not be the best way to do things anyway)

Reasons for Choosing DbVisualizer

I used the free version and then decided to support DbVisualizer since it is a splendid product.

Michael from Carnegie Mellon University

Great Product...Easy to Use!

Overall...great experience. Really like working with DbVis!

Pros

Really like the ease of use. It's reliable, dependable and just a workhorse to query your database. Like the fact that the updates are easy to install. When I have a question and/or a problem that needs resolution, there are lots of resources available to help.

Cons

I did have a problem once that was especially challenging and difficult for me to bring to resolution, but eventually I was able to solve it. An upgrade stalled midway through that just would not successfully complete the installation process. Customer service was able to help me identify that the install was hungup and expecting the latest version of other software on my laptop. Once that was updated the install process completed successfully.

Randy from Lifetouch Canada

Industry: Photography

A great tool for multitasking and auto scheduling numerous databases

Pros

DB visualizer is easy to use and easy to implement. The ability to output data and auto-schedule queries is great for increasing productivity.

Cons

The documentation can be improved through the use of better samples.

Company recommendation.

Tim from JAAT Solutions Inc.

The gold standard for multiple database management work.

I have yet to find a tool that works like DbVisualizer for my multiple database work.

Pros

It is the best product on the market for multi-platform database management. A single interface for all the major databases. It saves me countless hours when working on different platforms. The spend to delivery is why it is my primary tool. The export tools are solid and provides for ease of cross platform work.

Cons

The challenge with being the best for all platforms is that it also comes with its challenges regarding "explain plans" for database optimization.

Reasons for Choosing DbVisualizer

Clean, powerful, usable and very effective interface.

Cindy from Information Technology & Services

Industry: Airlines/Aviation

DbVisualizer is a great product for the money

Pros

I love to be able to open multiple tabs, to save my database commands by functionality, and the ability to view database tables and columns.

Cons

Sometimes queries are very difficult to stop and I have to go to AWS to check if they are still running and / or manually kill them.

Edward from Koch Foods

Industry: Food Production

I have been using this product for over 5 years. I searched for a long time, tried many other products but once I found DbVisualizer my search was over. I even prefer and use this over MySQL’s Workbench.

Pros

This is my go to product for dealing with our MySQL instances which host our data warehouse. It has everything I need and it is simple to use. I do not think I have ever referenced the help for DbVisualizer.

Cons

I would like to see the ability to deal with user accounts and permissions added.

Reasons for Choosing DbVisualizer

It had all of the features I wAs looking for

Dan from Carnegie Mellon University

Outstanding product

This consistent interface provided by DBVis as we are constantly querying multiple databases from different vendors has made it easy to deploy and provide consistent examples to our user base.

Pros

quick storage of past query results is really helpful in determining what did and didn't work well previously. While script storage is possible, that has been time and again one of my go to resources.

Cons

I haven't really found any downside to the product yet.

Reasons for Switching to DbVisualizer

As a department, we decided to use one tool for query purposes

Mauri from Advania Finland

The only professional software that I'm ready pay from my own pocket

I can access Microsoft SQL server, Postgresql and Mariadb/mysql with the same tool. It can found the metadata and data definitions of all of them. I can't even remember how many years I've used it but I use it for my hobby projects at home and my work projects at work. It is awesome.

Pros

I like the license, I can install this to all the environments I use to access databases and it is both allowed and possible.

Cons

I hate the "new" functionality of home-key. It doesn't get you back to the start of the line - unless you are "pasting".

Charles from ETH Zurich

Ideal if you need to deal with different RDBMS

Pros

The fact of using a single tool to access all the database types I had to deal with (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle and MSSQL Server).

Cons

I find the need of installing the JRE a bit cumbersome. On the other hand this makes the installation flexible, because it can be installed on different OSs with the same user experience.

Reasons for Choosing DbVisualizer

Because I had the need to access other DBs than PostgreSQL and I didn't want to have to switch all the time between tools.

Powerful, flexible & verstile

Since 2015, I've been using DbVisualizer in order to work, primarily, with Salesforce. Since then I've also used it with Sqlite3, PostgreSQL, MS SqlServer and others. The Pro version is especially handy due to having the ability to open as many SQL (and other) windows as necessary. Once I used the macro abilities for ETL type of work and found that to be easier than expected. Overall, a solid, worthwhile tool.

Pros

Interfaces with any database I've attempted to use. Extremely useful with Salesforce (assuming availability of an appropriate JDBC driver) Easy to discover schema, save schema, duplicate databases for multiple environments Shows all data in a specified table Data exportable and importable as CSV

Cons

Sometimes, setting up a new database connection can be a little tricky. Admin must know the options.

Reasons for Choosing DbVisualizer

Flexibility for use with a wide variety of databases.

Evan from GreenCursor

20+ Years & Still Going Strong

I have been using DbVis for over twenty years now. Every once in a while I try another database browser.. DBeaver, Navicat, etc. I always come back to DbVis. As a developer nothing makes working with disparate databases easier.

Pros

Easy to management a variety of disparate database systems.

Cons

Doing a lot in MongoDB these days; one of the few systems DbVis doesn't support. It's a Java app and can be a bit slow at times.

Florian from spb GmbH

Connects to almost every database

Pros

DBVisualizer is our daily tool for querying databases like PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQL Server and Informix. It has many handy features like exporting Data to various formats, importing Data from Excel and CSV, auto completition, or editing result sets.

Cons

Not much to complain about, but application startup can take a while with a huge sql history.

Ed from HSD

overall

I've had very good experience.

Pros

Good visualization, good use of memory and easy to back out of queries.

Cons

I wish copying values from a result set would put commas between the values and single quotes like SQL developer does.

Reasons for Choosing DbVisualizer

I like the visualization. I like the fact that you can open up a result set in Excel. I like the way SQL is formatted

Bernhard from crossVault GmbH

The advanced SQL Managment Studio

We are using DbVis on a daily base, to homologize the use of software. One tool fits it all.

Pros

Its intuitive to use and allows more over the GUI than other software. Its a breeze to use this solution for multiple DBs of Type (pgSQL/MSSQL).

Cons

A bit difficult is the use of the Java Connectors. Some do not give all possibilities of the vendors ODBC driver.

Don from E-gineering

Love it. I literally use it 3 times a week at minimum.

Pros

I love it's ease of use connecting, navigating and querying. The query builder feature is a great way to start on complex joins without having to type a lot. :-)

Cons

The viewing of relationships and references or anything looking like an ERD is quite unintuitive and clunky.

DbVisualizer really does the job!

Greatly appriciate the software, have been using it for the last 8 years on and off, and I wouldn't be without it when handling databases

Pros

I like the GUI and the way you can manage multiple databases in a click!

Cons

Double clicking on the database should start the run SQL command window rather than showing connection information of the DB

Matthew from Liftoff Mobile Inc

I've tried others but keep coming back to DbVisualizer

Pros

Great table / view navigation. Integrates easily with a wide range of databases, and support for others can be added pretty easily. I've used DbVisualizer with everything from Presto to SQLite over the years and it just works.

Cons

The autocomplete function is a little overzealous at times.

DB VIS review

Pros

Query time mentioned along with the results made me write faster queries and importing exporting is much easier and can be done with in the connections

Cons

Tabs wont be opened in seperate tab unless we select that option with a right click and also if connection fails it doesn' give much details

Frank from Rabobank IT

Best universal DBMS GUI ever

Introduced it at Rabobank via my personal license and then they to opted for a corporate license

Pros

Ease of use and rich functionality a.o. the Monitor function

Cons

Actually i could think of any function I miss

Reasons for Choosing DbVisualizer

We have both as IBM DS came along with DB2 for z/OS but DB Visualizer outperforms IBM DS by far

Djordje from Elektro Bijeljina

DB Review

I'm using in every day basis and I'm really comfortable using it.

Pros

Export feature is awesome. SQL editor is good and helper comes to hand. Live data edit etc... Just love DbVisualizer.

Cons

I haven't found anything that I don't like this much. Like I said I'm very comfortable using this software.

Pros

DB Visualizer is very easy to use. It's great that you can save your queries and even if the software is closed and you had forgotten to save the query, it will remember it when the software loads.

Cons

Sometimes the software performs slow with many open queries.

Natosha from PTCI

Ease of Data Analysis

DbVisualizer is my go-to data extracting tool!

Pros

Data Analysis is fast and easy; Easy to find table/field information and to pull sample data during development.

Cons

Seems like some of the sql keywords valid for the selected database don't always work in dbvisualizer.

Scott from Invisible Technologies

Industry: Information Services

My Go-To Tool

Pros

I've been using DbVisualizer for over 10 years. Across multiple companies and across multiple roles, it's my preferred tool for looking at the database.

Cons

The UI was always OK at best, but recent updates have turned that around entirely.

David from Hyatt Corp

DbViz Review

Pros

Ease of use with multiple tabs, options for downloading results, DDL easily accessible.

Cons

Require password to run queries in selected environments, or other warning controls to prevent unwanted commands in sensitive environments.

Hans from BPA Solutions A/S

DbVisualizer help me as an consultant in my daily work at many different sites

:) :) :)

Pros

Works in many different environments. Easy to install and setup. Quick learning curve

Cons

All my settings are now and then lost at a customer installation. Properly due to a change in the server setting, but anyway annoying .

DB VIS review

Pros

Its very easy to use and also the query execution is cool with errors showing. Also the db export and import is a lot easier and in all types of formats.

Cons

The only thing is that the connections get lost easily.

Matthew from Quorum Health Corporation

Great SQL tool

Pros

DB Visualizer makes it easy to run SQL queries against multiple systems quickly and easily. My productivity has improved because of how well it works.

Cons

I have not had any problems with DbVisualizer.

Daekyu from Independent Consultant

Easy and fast tool for SAP HANA DB

Dvis is easy to use and faster than database specific client tool.

Pros

It's faster than HANA studio to handle SAP HANA DB data.

Cons

ERD (Table reference diagram) is sometimes shown differently from actual.

Andrei from Graphic Transportation Services Inc.

The tool that keeps on giving

Pros

I have to connect to multiple databases every day, from SQL to DB2 and it's great that I can do it under one interface.

Cons

I would like a faster way to export data to csv.

Paramjit from Surescripts

Great product

Pros

DbVisualizer is a great tool for database querying. Very easy to setup and use. Has some pretty nice features.

Cons

There is not really anything which I don't like.

Detlef from CAD, Unternehmensberatung & Sales

Easy to use for all types of databases

Pros

Work with different types of databases is nearly the same and i can use variables in SQL requests.

Cons

I would like to edit the column descriptions just in Place.

bill from Surescripts

New to DbVisualizer

DbVisualizer is a great tool for a developer.

Pros

I was able to get DbVisualizer up and running very quickly. The interface is intuitive and I didn't need to consult documentation until I need more advanced features such as variables.

Cons

Creating and editing connections could be easier to use, but I don't do that very often.

Moris from Corte Suprema de Justicia

DbVisualizer - Una Herramienta de Productividad

DbVisualizer da un salto de calidad en nuestra porductivdad

Pros

DbVisualizer nos brinda una organizacion de nuestras bases de datos de gran nivel para poder analizar de una forma mas comoda estas, ademas su gran variedad de motores de bases de datos que soporta y que se puede integrar lo hace una gran opcion sin importar el motor que se use.

Cons

DbVisualizer deberia de permitir exportar partes o secciones de la estructura de bases de datos en imagen o en formatos de varias paginas para Bases de Datos grandes.

Ricardo from n3dev

Great tool for database analysis and design

Overall Dbvizualizer has been a very useful tool that I have been using for several years whenever I need to visually work or understand the database that I'm working with. Very easy to use, intuitive features and I'm sure anybody will find some useful features in it.

Pros

One of the features that I like the most from Dbvizualizer is the ability to generate a nice ER diagram from the connected DB and even for specific DB objects.

Cons

The only thing I have noticed is that it may be too high-consuming resources for older computers. Also when I run it in Linux the app will crash every once in a while.

Michael from Xylem/Sensus

Industry: Wireless

DbVisualizer used with Microsoft Server DB

Happy with the product, I have been using for 8+ years

Pros

I like easy of setup and use of the product

Cons

Ideally could support DNS to find DB when ID address changes

JOSEP from SAIL

Industry: Research

Very Useful and Easy to use

Pros

Easy to use Exportable to PHP queries Queries runs quick

Cons

Difficult to make quick relations/queries comparing e.g. Microsoft Access

Guy from DP Consulting

must have if you need access multiple databases

Pros

easy to connect to a large variety on prem and cloud databases

Cons

unable to connect to azure sql server database