Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"Fast, reliable, stable, works perfect on Linux. Replication is fast and too easy to set up."
  • icon"Good product with good core competencies - scalable SQL database designed for transactional and analytical workloads, consistency durability etc."
  • icon"The performance of this db its is amazing. The team assigned to our project did a great work by migrating a huge system in a short period of time."
  • icon"If a leaf fails it takes the Matser Aggregator 10 seconds to promote the slave partitions from paired leaf."
  • icon"Lack of Incremental backups. No Failback of replications."
  • icon"But of course given I was hired by them they will probably make an exception. But I was shocked that a week later I got a very generic reply and a link to an unrelated page."

Have you used SingleStore and would like to share your experience with others?

All SingleStore Reviews

Sujay

Checked - One solution for Streaming Analytics on Big Data

Pros

- Super simple, we implemented the whole of our customer-facing streaming analytics data store in a 2-day hackathon - Natively integrates with AWS & other services (we are a multi-petabyte S3 shop with huge Kafka clusters) - Since most of it is SQL, anyone can hit the ground running in no-time, an ultra-low barrier to entry - We saw a sub-second response on a test case with 1000 concurrent heavy API calls (scanning billions of rows across many tables + window functions etc) along with applying RBAC functionalities on the fly - Incredibly fast out of the box, basic performance tuning will suffice 95% of use cases - Fantastic partners to work with, super helpful, we have access to their core engineering team, +100 on Customer engagement!

Cons

In my humble opinion, it solved a very unique hard problem for us elegantly (without having to compromise on any architectural or data principles). Problem of streaming analytics on high-velocity high volume data sets with sub-second API responses can be a handful. For me, this along with other use-cases they mention is their core strength. So anything beyond these capabilities is a "Nice to have" for me. Their roadmap covers most of what the community is asking - hot back-up's, better UI, modelling etc.

Reasons for choosing SingleStore

All the previous solutions we tried solved either one or few of the challenges in this use-case for us. Memsql covered almost all the focus areas without having to compromise on any architectural or data principles.

Brandon

Industry: Utilities

Thoughts on MemSQL

Our primary use case for MemSQL is an enterprise data lake, which will also serve as a staging area for MemSQL data warehouses. They are currently being developed and are not in production yet. We're learning things as we go, but in general, development is going well and we're satisfied with the product.

Pros

I appreciate that MemSQL is a distributed database that runs on commodity hardware and can be scaled out as opposed to some fixed, vendor-maintained appliances like Teradata. Columnstore is a valuable feature.

Cons

The product is not fully mature. Although it uses the MySQL protocol, it does not always work with MySQL-compliant products. Some administrative functions such as incremental, point-in-time, and object-specific backups and restore are lacking. MemSQL is making progress in these areas, but it still has room to grow.

Reasons for choosing SingleStore

We considered NoSQL products such as Hadoop, but we wanted to leverage our existing SQL skillset.

Reasons for switching to SingleStore

We're not making a full switch and retiring Teradata immediately, but we're going to use it less and MemSQL more. We've had frustrations with developing and supporting Teradata. We prefer MemSQL's DR replication and included columnstore functionality, for example.

Response from MemSQL

Thanks for your feedback. We work hard every day to close any feature gaps between MemSQL and the older, legacy databases. Incremental Backup lands in version 7.0, and point-in-time restore is being actively developed, and is slated to land next year.

MemSQL : Needs Time to Mature

This is a good software but needs to mature more for an enterprise level

Pros

Similar to existing RDBMS Supports join In Box implementation with Spark Salable & manageable with memSQL ops

Cons

Security Features Consistency Overflow on Disk

Cost & future roadmap

Scalability & Growing Cost

MOHAMMAD SUFIYAN

SUPERSONIC DB - SUPERB

I'll rate it at a full star. Having worked with almost all the databases, I can simply say it aces every database that I worked. The Transformation capabilities in LOAD command is something I have not seen anywhere which helps a lot along with capturing errors and rejects in the LOAD command.

Pros

Super fast and would have give a fair bit of competition to CONCORD Aircraft:). But seriously it is the Database of the new generation with huge potential for both On Premise and Cloud. High compatibility, resilience, scalability are some superb features to work on with it. Highly recommended to any Organization wanting to get rid of the Old fashioned drag on DBs.

Cons

I don't have any particular dislikes, but would love to see its own Client interface, inbuilt Data Modelling capabilities and a superb front end which can help potentially any Developers or Programmers to start the development from Day 1. Secondly I would also like to see a proper Blogging web portal to help developers resolve their queries, issues faster.

Reasons for switching to SingleStore

Very expensive, developers find it hard to learn and also the scalability is not at par which I have see it with MEMSQL.

Response from MemSQL

Supersonic is a great description. Thank you. Have you tried MemSQL Studio, the web-based SQL editor and cluster monitor?

Manisha

Very fast

Pros

fast response, perfect for real time apps

Cons

documentation isnot too clear about what sits in memory and what on disk. even though all our tables were made to reside on disk, we were getting lots of usage alerts, took for ever to resolve.

Reasons for switching to SingleStore

Faster reads and aggs and ability to query on rolling index

Joel

Industry: Oil & Energy

Best in memory SQL offering available

MemSQL has helped us enable significant business value through a simplified data lake system. Large amounts of IOT data (trillions of rows) can be queried in milliseconds. In addition business databases with processes (running on similar hardware) that took hours to run and now running sub-second on MemSQL. The path to get to where we are was not easy, but MemSQL was alongside us all the way.

Pros

1. Amazing Performance. 2. ANSI and PL SQL compatibility. Enables easy transition from traditional databases to MemSQL. 3. Highly and easily Scalable 4. Easy to setup, easy to work with. 5. Great support.

Cons

Lack of Incremental backups, No Failback of replications. Lack of transaction logging. Lack of recoverable snapshots. (All these are near term upcoming features in MemSQL though)

Simple, Legacy compatible, performance

Performance

udayakumar

Good inMemory DB but not great Customer Support

Overall we like the products but some important features are lacking.

Pros

I like the way how it solves both being an In-memroy DB and Relational at the same time .. most of the In-Memory products are not relational. Query Response time are good.

Cons

Not Good customer support, Even for PROD-Sev1 issues it's difficult to get on-call representative support. Lacking Two way DB replication for DataCenters.

Reasons for choosing SingleStore

Being and In-memory Relational DB.

Need of In Memory Relational DB

Response from MemSQL

I'd love to learn more about your support experience and escalate your concern so we can better serve users in the future. Can you reach out to community@memsql.com so we can learn more?

Kai

Great replacement for Hadoop for a fraction of the cost

We needed freshly aggregated stats for our realtime bidding logs. Hadoop Hive was taking over 2 hours to perform the aggregation. After migration to MemSQL we were able to aggregate the stats within 20 minutes.

Pros

Deployment was quick and painless. Works well with existing SQL-based data pipelines. We replaced our expensive and difficult-to-maintain Hadoop cluster with MemSQL and a fraction of the cost.

Cons

There were some stability issues early on with the product, however, the support team was proactive in addressing our issues and providing fixes in later releases. Synchronization with an external MySQL meta-database is not straightforward, and we had to build our own custom synchronization scripts.

Reasons for switching to SingleStore

Cost of maintaining a Hadoop cluster with 2 devops engineers.

Response from MemSQL

So glad you're getting such exceptional performance.

April 2022

A review of few features requested by SingleStore

Note: This review was incentivized by SingleStore. I was paid to test few features, such as: Kafka integration, Ingestion and migration features. I was requested to write an honest review here after few hours and a 1 hour seminar. Therefore I do not have any significant experience with the tool, and this is like a newcomer's first experience review.

Pros

I loved the simplicity in general. It was easy to use the guides, and to follow the documentations I encountered. In some cases I dug a bit deeper just to try to find some mistakes, but for example the password is not displayed if I request the system to echo back the Kafka connection details I set up. It could have been a security issue, but they were obviously aware of this and they made sure it is not possible. The specific things I liked is the ingestion speed is lightning fast. And to set up a Kafka linked table (real time message data in a table!) is as easy as it can possibly be.

Cons

The support. The chat is although quick and efficient, I had no issue to explain that I want a copy of the "Replicate" tool, to do similar actions that was shown on a video. The agent confirmed he understood correctly what I said, and that he needs to escalate this as I was a trial user. But of course given I was hired by them they will probably make an exception. But I was shocked that a week later I got a very generic reply and a link to an unrelated page. Like only the higher topic was understood, and all my request to have a copy of the Replicate tool was lost. I reported my disappointment towards SingleStore, and after all they are working on improving this mow. It is uncomfortable to leave this story here but necessary to understand I believe that with Support you can have hiccups and you might need to repeat yourself.

Naveenraj

April 2022

SingleStore Data Performance

SingleStore is much useful for Real-Time data Analytic and Reporting feature and that is the key feature we looking towards Relational Database For local testing it is considerable that it consume too much memory consumption and that area is need to be improved to bring best out of it towards developer point of view.

Pros

It has faster query result in RDBMS platform along with high availability with the possibilities of loading data from different sources with real time data support. It has unique ingest capability to do parallel ingest of data from different sources with distributed and partition feature with M-S architecture. This standout SingleStore from others.

Cons

I believe it should have better User interface to support dynamic query creation along with that if it provide powerful Data virtualization options that would be nice.

Ahmad

Best Distributed RDBMS Ever!

So far MemSQL was able to handle all types of workloads we applied to it, executing blazing fast queries against tables with real-time data ingestion. Some of the features we use and are extremely helpful are json support and full-text search, which allowed us to ingest millions of documents every day and run sophisticated dashboards against them

Pros

1. Lightening speed queries 2. High speed, high throughput, real-time data ingestion and queries. Thanks to the pipelines 3. Scale out very easily with no limit 4. In-memory tables for high OLTP workloads, and on-disk columnar storage for OLAP workloads 5. Short learning curve. drop-in replacement to the famous MySQL DB 6. Full-text search 7. Free edition is available

Cons

I really can't think of much here. I advise MemSQL to accelerate adding features to the MemSQL studio

Reasons for choosing SingleStore

Achieved the highest performance, short learning path, familiar syntax, compatibility with almost all products in the market as it support MySQL wire protocol. Cost effective Excellent support team

1. Performance 2. Maintenance 3. Cost

Ivan

Horizontally scalable relational database

- online segmentation of users - monitoring - data science

Pros

- horizontally scalable relational database - huge performance win comparing to on-prem alternatives - easy to setup on k8s - easy to connect to kafka

Cons

- cross data center replication requires manual intervention on failover

Used by company competitors

- scalability - performance

Sanjaya kumar

Excellent

Excellent working with Memsql database. We are within our SLA.

Pros

Fast query processing and child agg and master agg works super

Cons

Memsql ops does not work real time some times.

Reasons for choosing SingleStore

faster query processing result and familiar with mysql client.

faster query processing result

Todd

memsql

good

Pros

Performance is good and it is a relational database

Cons

support is limited. there are not too many tutorial/forum etc.

Reputation

Performance

Adrian

i dont need the gift card :)

R&D, installation, administration, new features R&D

Pros

fast, reliable, stable, works perfect on Linux replication is fast and too easy to set up :)

Cons

geez ... I really don't know. I am really thinking of something I don't like but nothing comes to mind. I have been doing administration for ... a few good years now.

Reasons for choosing SingleStore

Because the R&D was promising.

Reasons for switching to SingleStore

Mangement made me switch.

Tencza